Gunning for the Buddha Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Jasper, Michael » Gunning for the Buddha « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Irami
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 10:52 pm:   

I just finished your Buddha story, and I wanted to float over here and say that I'm impressed. You have incredible story telling technique, from alluding the Yeshiva's death a few paragraphs before he died to the protagonist kicking the german guy in the nuts without saying that she kicked him in the nuts.

The style reminds me of Neal Stephenson, except less obnoxious. There are some affected parts, like the Muslim named Ari with the elaborate head band, but it ties together crisply and forces the reader to pay attention and grapple with the pacing. Well done

Mike Jasper
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 07:08 am:   

Hi Irami! Many, many thanks for dropping in! I hope you stick around and join in the other discussions, here at my place and elsewhere. This is a great site, as is S1ngularity (I have trouble spelling it like that though!).

I went over and over that damned story, let me tell you. You've made my day. Glad it worked for you. I appreciate your comments, all of 'em.

What did you think of the other pieces there? (I haven't had a chance to read the rest of the site yet -- gotta write a chapter or 2 first, and that's my reward).

Nicholas Liu
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 07:17 am:   

I loved your story too. A kickarse start to s1ngularity.

I've read the whole issue (is it going by issues? I don't recall), and its all good (or Gabe wouldn't have chosen it, eh?). You're in good company.

Nicholas Liu
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 07:35 am:   

(Ought to be "it's all good".)

Mike
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 08:14 am:   

Thanks Nicholas! I really appreciate it. :-)

I'll post my thoughts on the rest of the "issue" as soon as I get another thousand words or so written...

Jay C
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 04:23 pm:   

Mike, you know I don't have to say that I always liked that story.

Hermionerhija
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 12:09 am:   

I really liked the story, it sucked me in right away and it flowed well. Keep up the good work, I'm looking forward to reading more of your writing.

Mike
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 03:58 am:   

Jay -- thanks, my man! I'm just hoping that you didn't think, on second read, that the narrator was a cross-dresser... ;)

Hermionerhija -- thanks! That's high praise indeed. I appreciate it.

Jeff Topham
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 12:48 pm:   

Mike, I was quite impressed by "Gunning for the Buddha." A nod to Shriekback in the title?

Regards,

JT

Mike
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 01:20 pm:   

Hi Jeff! A total and complete nod to Shriekback -- glad you got the connection! The first version of the story had a lot more not-so-subtle references to the song. Most of them had to go in later revisions.

Thanks for stopping by! And glad you liked the story. I just read Kage Baker's story, and liked that one quite a bit.

Bob
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 08:41 am:   

Yeah, good story. Thanks for the read.

Mike
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 01:34 pm:   

Thanks Bob! Glad to do it. :-)

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2003 - 11:01 am:   

Yeah, "Gunning" is one of my favorite stories of yours, for its relentless pace, amoral characters (sort of), and interesting twist on the time travel trope. I noticed that you got rid of the Shriekback quote at the beginning as well.

Michael Jasper
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 09:17 am:   

Cool -- you can read "Gunning for the Buddha" online again, thanks to the folks at s1ngularity.

Enjoy!!!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration