Intracities: a Call for Submissions Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Jasper, Michael » Intracities: a Call for Submissions « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike Jasper
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 04:09 am:   

Okay, enough monkeying around. I'm going to do it. But I need your help, writers.

I'm looking for about a dozen good short stories for an anthology I'm editing called Intracities. I want you to take a good look at the place where you live, right now. Not the town you lived in as a kid, or a city you visited last year. Your current place of residence.

Look around, check things out, go down some side roads if you have to. And then... write a story about it. And send it to me.

This will be a fiction-only endeavor, nothing fancy, just some kick-ass writing about places real and imagined. Write the kind of story that would make people want to come visit where you live. Or write the story that would make people want to stay away.

All the details are at the Intracities page.

Okay, that's it. Get to it.

Any questions? Drop me a line right here, if you will.

Jay C
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 06:07 am:   

Good luck, Mike. Fun project.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 11:01 am:   

Thanks, J -- just don't tell anyone in the HWA that I'm not paying pro rates... !

Jay C
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 11:55 am:   

Well, um yeah. Some of them are going to find out for themselves, methinks.

Andreas Black
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 12:07 pm:   

Hey, wait. I'm in the HWA...

Mike
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 11:16 am:   

Andreas -- that was sort of an inside joke about the HWA. There's been a lot of discussion about anthos and magazines that don't pay "pro" rates. Mine won't pay 3 cents a word, because I don't have any money. And that's not why I'm doing this antho, anyway. It's more of an experiment, something new.

And hey, if you're a member of the HWA, you should use their bulletin board: http://www.horror.org/private/yabb/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl

Lots of interesting stuff there. Mostly...

Andreas Black
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 04:30 am:   

I've tried getting to their BBS, but my browsers at home weren't having any and i'm not sure why. I know they're kinda old. I need to upgrade them but i've been way too busy.

And I kinda intended it as a joke anyway. Kinda a 'little fish, in a big ocean, playing a shark' thing.

And I like the experiment idea, makes it more fun, IMHO.

Andreas Black
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 04:35 am:   

Okay, nevermind. That was chat.

Andreas Black
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 05:11 am:   

Hiya Mike,

I noticed the IntraCities page says the reading period is now open -- did you open it early?

Mike
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 05:52 am:   

Yep -- we're open and ready for business. Thanks for the reminder. I meant to journal about that...

Andreas Black
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 06:09 am:   

Excellent.

I have a rough draft of a story now, and i'll try and beat it into submission as soon as possible.

Pun intended, BTW.

A

Nicholas Liu
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 04:56 am:   

Mike, when you say "The location must be real, but the rest is up to you", must it be a real location in the present? It's a little ambiguous.

Mike
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 08:09 am:   

Should be a real location, where you're living now, but it can take place in any timeframe -- past, future, alternate past, present, etc...

Good question -- I'll see if I can tweak the GLs again. :-)

Nicholas Liu
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 03:19 pm:   

Right. Thanks a lot.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 05:45 am:   

I'm at 4 subs and counting... Plus I have a listing at http://www.ralan.com, so I expect a ton of stories to come my way (I hope!). Very fun stuff.

And the stories I've read so far have been good.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 06:31 am:   

Up to 10 subs now! Cool. This is getting quite fun.

Rejections are going to be... tricky.

Deborah Layne
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 02:22 pm:   

Mike,

This is a cool project but I have a problem...I live int he most boring place in the world...Wilsonville, OR...seriously, man, the only thing here is Fry's Electronics and (for reasons that no one seems able to provide) a Memorial to Oregon's Korean War Dead none of whom lived in Wilsonville. We have a nice post office, though. And a nice coffee place.

So, would you take a sub about one of the more colorful places I've lived, like, um, Cleveland or Pittsburgh or Alabama or um, wait, nevermind, maybe I haven't lived anywhere colorful after all...

:-)

Deborah

Mike
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 03:57 pm:   

Hiya Deborah! Glad to see you 'round in these parts.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to stick to the rules on this one. Surely there's SOMETHING odd about Wilsonville?

I mean, I've heard about the tunnels underneath Fry's -- haven't you? And those weird keyboards they sell, with the five extra keys on each row?

You've seen that, right? I won't even go into the hidden stoplight at main street...

I hope to see a Wilsonville story from ya!

Greg van Eekhout
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 07:59 pm:   

I wonder what the true purpose of that sculpture masquerading as the Memorial to Oregon's Korean War Dead really is?

Mike
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 03:41 am:   

I, too, have wondered that very thing, Greg.

If only someone would tell a tale and enlighten us all...

Andreas Black
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 05:06 pm:   

I wonder if they're really dead...

Laura Anne
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 05:41 pm:   

Y'ever think that "Fry" is an...interesting name to give to an electronics store? What's up with that? How fast _do_ they turn over their staff, anyway?

Night Shade Books
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 09:52 pm:   

Actually, I have to agree with Deborah. There's *nothing* interesting about Wilsonville. I used to work in a warehouse there about 10 years ago.

Jason

Mike
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2003 - 07:09 am:   

Jason! You're not helping, man!!! ;)

Mike
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2003 - 04:03 am:   

Well, I've gotten 28 submissions so far, and some of them have been pretty good, with 4-5 that have really adhered to the guidelines and "feel" for the antho I was looking for.

It's funny -- a lot of the earlier stories I received were "trunk stories" or previously-written stories that people though sort of fit.

It's pretty obvious when I get one that was written specifically for the anthology. Of course, I tend to like those MUCH better!

This editing gig has been QUITE educational...

Nicholas Liu
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 10:12 am:   

So how's it going? I'm just curious; I was going to submit a story, but it didn't work out.

Mike
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2003 - 03:21 am:   

Hi Nicholas. I've gotten over 40 stories so far, with a couple more sure to come in the last 2 weeks. Lots of good stuff, though I've fallen behind in my reading, due to my own writing projects. I plan on getting all my reading done in June, after the submission period closes (May 31).

Overall it's been pretty fun. I wish I'd been able to read more -- the plan was to read all the recent subs every Saturday, but that never happened!

The best part is finding a story that perfectly fits my theme. The worst is getting stuff that tells me folks haven't even read the guidelines, and are just sending me trunk stories. Almost as worse are those that make a stab at the theme (in this antho's case, they usually slap a paragraph or two onto the opening, describing the city).

Sorry you didn't get a chance to write a tale. Maybe in next year's antho... ;)

Nicholas Liu
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2003 - 04:49 am:   

That sounds great.:-) I do wish it were going to have a larger print run and wider distribution; the premise is very intriguing (which makes it a double pity that my story's ground to a halt, though of course I still have two weeks) and I'd love to see what people make of it.

Incidentally, I'm going to be running a similar gauntlet myself soon. Hope people learn to read guidelines. . . .

Jon Hansen
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2003 - 05:06 am:   

Next year's?

Jon Hansen
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 07:14 pm:   

Mike, just tossed you my attempt. Hope it amuses.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2003 - 06:24 am:   

Made it through most of the almost sixty stories submitted yesterday, and plan on sending out the rejections today. Lots of good stuff, some sorta bad stuff, and a good bit of so-so stuff. And some lovely surprises.

I've chosen 7 stories officially, and have space for 5 more. I've got a dozen stories to whittle down for those last slots.

I don't think I got a single SF piece. Mostly fantasy and horror. Intteeerrrrresting.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration