The Ego Shelf (for all to peruse):... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Jasper, Michael » The Ego Shelf (for all to peruse): « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike Jasper
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 09:01 am:   

Okay, this spot is going to be where everyone can come and do some well-deserved horn-tooting. Tell us what you have coming out so we can keep our collective eye on the bookstores and the Internet...

I'll get the ball rolling:

My quirky, violent time-travel tale "Gunning for the Buddha" will be in S1ngularity's 1st issue on March 15th.

My urban fantasy story (taken from my as-yet-unpublished novel THE LAST OF THE HAND) "Coal Ash and Sparrows" will appear any month now in Asimov's.

My off-the-wall horror story "Never, Incorporated" will be published in Tim Pratt and Heather Shaw's brand-new 'zine Flytrap in October, 2003.

My weird-western, alternate-history, horror story "The Dissolutionist" will run at Fangoria sometime in 2004.

How about YOU?

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 10:50 am:   

All righty then.

My magical diner story "Shiny Diner Blues" will be appearing in the Winter "Adventure" issue of The Dream Engine any day now.

My creepy Libran equilibrium tale "One Big Crunch" will appear in Dream Engine's Spring "Horror" issue in a few months.

My literalized metaphor short-short "Songstress" will be published in an upcoming issue of Electric Velocipede.

My incredibly insightful essay about Neil Gaiman's use of the character reversal "The Old Switcheroo" will be published in The Neil Gaiman Reader later this year, to be edited by Darrell Schweitzer. I am also presenting this paper at this year's International Conference for the Fantastic in the Arts.

Forrest
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 11:27 am:   

Well OK, then.

My highly experimental piece "Waiting for Felicity" will be in the next JOURNAL OF EXPERIMENTAL FICTION.

Another experimental piece (see the trend?), "Kaleidoscopes of Africa" will appear in the next issue of 3RD BED. I'm rather proud of this one, as I had several well-regarded literary publications wrangling over this one before I decided to go with 3RD BED.

And various and sundry stories on the web and in print coming up - I don't have the inclination to reveal all, but my stuff will be out there, which is good because I've started work on my first novel and am very much entrenched in it and in preparations for editing Leviathan 4 and a couple of other books. Frankly I don't have the time to write shorts right now!

Forrest

Mike Jasper
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 11:12 am:   

Forrest -- the stories I've read by you in the most recent FLESH AND BLOODs have been amazingly trippy! Wild stuff. Keep it up, man!

Mike Jasper
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 12:38 pm:   

It's live -- you can now read my story "Gunning for the Buddha" at the new online magazine S1NGULARITY! Enjoy!

Muscle cars and time travel -- you cannot go wrong.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 05:44 am:   

I have it on good intelligence that while I didn't get a story reprinted in the 20th Annual Year's Best Science Fiction edited by Gardner Dozois, I did have three Honorable Mentions!

The stories were: "Wantaviewer", "Natural Order", and "Working the Game."

Sweet! I really needed that bit o' news this week!

Maureen McHugh
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 06:36 am:   

Mike, it's only a matter of time before you're reprinted.

Mike
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 04:45 am:   

Thanks, Maureen! We can only hope for such an event... :-)

In the meantime, I'm still busy writin'.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 04:34 am:   

More stories accepted:

My sf/fantasy/holday/alien world story "Riverrun Alley" was accepted at MarsDust, a fairly new online magazine.

And my dark fantasy about fallen angels and betrayal and the Wandering Jew, "Black Angels," will be in the Cock-Roach-Suckers antho of the Horror Writers Association, a charity anthology.

Laura Anne
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 06:23 am:   

Okay, here's my entry into egoboo...

Out right now, there's "Sympathetic Magic" in Horror Garage #6 and "His Essential Nature" in THE BEST OF DREAMS OF DECADENCE (available in your local/virtual bookstore).

Available for pre-order --

"Harvey & Fifth" in Flesh and Blood #12, which is (if I do say so myself) a moving story about the true victims of disaster, and "Talent" in THE NIGHT HAS TEETH (Dark Vesper Press, August 2003).

And I just got confirmation that my story "Site 14" has been accepted for the ReVisions anthology from DAW.

Mike
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 07:43 am:   

Thanks for the info, Laura Anne. I dig the Flesh and Blood magazine -- some good stuff in there. I'll keep an eye out for your tale. Congrats on the pubs!

So what's the story on the ReVisions antho? Is it a collection of rewritten stories, or...?

Laura Anne
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 11:55 am:   

Mike,

It's a SFnal what-if theme -- take an invention, change the circumstances. How would the world be different?

I wrote about the re-breather (pre-SCUBA gear), and how one man paying attention could change... well, a lot.

And I really do love the story in Flesh & Blood. May make a lot of people very unhappy with me, though. We'll see.

Mike
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 01:57 pm:   

Laura Anne -- sounds like a cool antho. I'll keep my eyes open for it. I'm especially interested in your story, as the novel I'm working on now deals with underwater shipwrecks, so I've had to do a lot of diving research (though I've never dived myself).

I'm intrigued by the FnB story -- glad I got a sub to that magazine. Cool. I'd say if a story pisses people off, it's done its job. If that was your intention, that is... ;)

Mike
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 01:50 pm:   

Forgot to add this last week, but the story Tim Pratt and I wrote earlier this year, "Helljack," was accepted by the new magazing HP LOVECRAFT'S MAGAZINE OF HORROR.

Interesting that it was accepted there, as we had submitted it to WEIRD TALES, but that's the way things work in publishing... ;)

Mike
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 05:09 pm:   

Check <a href=
"http://www.wildsidepress.com/ubb/Forum12/HTML/000001.html">this</a> out!!! This is the cover of first issue of the magazine containing the story Tim Pratt and I wrote, "Helljack." <br><br>Cover by Bob Eggleton. It's beautiful, don't ya think? I especially like that list of contributors... :-)

Mike
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 05:10 pm:   

Sorry about the coding glitches there... You get the picture, right (pun intended)?

Mike
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 08:53 am:   

Hey -- got me a Fictionwise page here: http://www.fictionwise.com/eBooks/MichaelJaspereBooks.htm

Buy early, and buy often...

Mike Jasper
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 08:29 pm:   

Okay, I've been telling everyone I know, so...

A story I co-wrote with the most excellent Greg van Eekhout, inspired by Everclear (the band, not the drink), set in a slightly-distorted California of the present, was accepted today by ASIMOV'S SF MAGAZINE!

Not a bad day-after-my-birthday surprise gift!

Oh yeah -- the name of the story is "California King." Coming probably not too soon to 'Movs. Prolly in 2005. But who's complaining?

Jay C
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2003 - 07:06 am:   

You are definitely on my list now, Jasper.

Greg van Eekhout
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2003 - 08:13 am:   

Oh, crap. I thought we *were* writing about the drink. No wonder my parts don't make any sense!

Mike
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2003 - 09:16 am:   

Greg, I'm not sure I want a discussion of what you call "my parts" on my message board, sir!!!

See, you were supposed to be DRINKING it and LISTENING to it whilst writing about it.

Jay -- I'm a little scared, but I'm gonna ask -- what is this list? Is it a ... shit list? Hit list? Oh boy.

Liz Williams
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2003 - 12:21 pm:   

Congratulations! Will look out for it.

The list: thus far the Britpack's hit list is running on the following very loose guidelines -

Major success: (novels sold, literary awards, movies made of one's books etc) = death, in a suitably imaginative manner.

Significant success: (magazine sales) = merely having one's hands broken to ensure a decent lapse in career.

But sometimes the person is let off with an admonishing finger and we buy you lots of drinks. Who said life was fair?

Mike
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2003 - 02:50 pm:   

Boy I'm glad I ain't a Brit!

So that's how they keep the quality of their lit so damn high... How can you type with busted digits?

Mike
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2003 - 04:54 pm:   

A nice link thanks to Tim Pratt, for a PDF of the Table of Contents for the upcoming <i>HP Lovecraft's Magazine of Horror</a>.

Mr. Tim and I will have the anchor story in that magazine. Very, very cool.

Mike
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2003 - 04:54 pm:   

(I do know HTML code, I really do!)

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 06:01 am:   

Very very cool, indeed, Mike.

Jon Hansen
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 06:47 am:   

Ah, that looks excellent. And I've heard from folks who'd know that your tale is one trippy story. Can't wait to see it.

Mike
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 04:06 pm:   

Thanks! I ordered a copy of the advance book, just so I could add it to the Shelf ahead of time...

Mike Jasper
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 05:42 pm:   

Hey cool -- you can now read my story "Riverrun Alley" at MarsDust! This was actually my holiday story from a couple years ago, so think of it as xmas in July. A fun little story, with lots o' aliens.

The story is taken from my "City of All-Worlds" setting that one day I'll use for a novel. One day...

Mike Jasper
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 02:46 am:   

Another sale, woo-hoo! My story "The Disillusionist" (yes, I'm back to the old title, instead of the newer "Dissolutionist," for those keeping score at home and/or those who give a rat's ass) will run at the alternate history website WOULD THAT IT WERE!

This story was accepted at FANGORIA, but that site has pretty much died, so the editor there said I could send the story elsewhere. The editor at WTIW was close to buying the story a few months back, but didn't. It stuck with him, though, and he finally broke down and bought it.

It's all about patience and waiting for editors to break down, I tell ya. ;)

Jay C
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 02:59 am:   

Bastard.

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 05:54 am:   

So Mike, what did you do to break him down? Chain him up in your basement? Whip him with reeds? Make him watch seventeen straight hours of reality television?

In any case, congrats, man.

Jon Hansen
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 06:42 am:   

Not that matters in the slightest, but I prefer the original "The Disillusionist" to "Dissolutionist." The first makes me think of some sort of an anti-mage, the second a chemist. But as I said, not that it matters in the slightest.

Mike
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 06:52 am:   

Hey Jon -- I like the original "Disillusionist" too. I'm glad it's back to that name.

Actually, I changed it for 2 reasons -- one, Gardner Dozois read it at last year's workshop, and he liked it but said the villain wasn't really destroying peoples' ILLUSIONS but destroying their lies. So of course I did some rethinking, thanks to Mr. D. And then Jay C (the writer formerly known as James H) used the Dissolutionist name, and I liked that.

"Disillusionist" is also a song by the Church. I've had okay luck with writing stories riffing on songs -- this one, and "Gunning for the Buddha" (by Shriekback).

Next... fictionalizing the music of Liberace!!!

Mike
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 06:54 am:   

Oh hey, and Jason, I hadn't thought of the non-stop reality TV treatment, but now that you mention it...

Actually, Don Muchow, the WTIW editor, really liked the story when he saw it earlier this year, almost bought it, and then (according to him) got in trouble with both his colleagues and his wife(!) for not buying the story. Go figure! :-)

Maureen McHugh
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 07:33 am:   

Mike! Congrats!

Mike Jasper
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 09:47 am:   

Hi Maureen! Thanks for the congrats. How's your writing coming along?

Maureen McHugh
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 10:32 am:   

I'm doing really well on short fiction, but the current novel is just being a pain, Mike. Last week I sent a short story to Gardner at ASIMOV'S, did a revision on another story at the request of the editor and sent that out yesterday, and sent a short short to Eileen Gunn.

But I'm doing every bit of busywork I can find to avoid looking at the novel right now. I may be reduced to cleaning up the kitchen, soon.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 12:00 pm:   

Aw man, Maureen -- I can totally relate! I'm trying to fix up the last few chapters to the novel about the aliens (um, the one I STARTED way back at Clarion in '96!), rewriting most of it, and suddenly everything else seems more appealling.

Maybe if I get a story or 2 done first, and get this anthology I'm editing done and out the door, I'll be able to focus better.

But cleaning the kitchen -- that's the last resort. :-)

Jay C
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 02:19 am:   

Hijacking, Mike, to point to some more little egoboo above in my New News thread.

Mike
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 06:08 am:   

Nice one, James!

Mike Jasper
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2003 - 07:05 am:   

Picked up a copy of The Year's Best Fantasy & Horror yesterday and found out I had THREE Honorable Mention stories in there. Holy shit! I wasn't expecting to have anything in there.

I was quite pleased to see that "Goddamn Redneck Surfer Zombies" had made it in, one of my all-time favorite stories, along with another personal fave, "Visions of Suburban Bliss." I was pleasantly surprised to see my fat-farm-meets-Scientologish-religion-with-edible bugs tale, "A Feast at the Manor," was also mentioned, from small webzine NeverWorlds (which has since stopped publishing, alas). Quite a nice little treat.

It was also quite nice to see HMs by other writers I know and admire, including many of the fine folk who post here...

Andreas Black
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2003 - 07:08 am:   

"I was pleasantly surprised to see my fat-farm-meets-Scientologish-religion-with-edible bugs tale, "A Feast at the Manor," was also mentioned..."

Ah, so you were influenced by Scientology at WotF. j/k

Mike
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2003 - 08:54 am:   

<evil>

Andreas Black
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2003 - 09:33 am:   

Why thank you. :-)

Mike
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2003 - 10:39 am:   

I meant to say [evil laughter]! ;)

Andreas Black
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2003 - 11:31 am:   

Oh, Damn.

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 02:24 pm:   

I just made the official announcement on my journal, but I'll repeat it here. I am putting out a chapbook with my immensely talented fiancee Janet Chui, to be called Four Seasons in One Day from Two Cranes Press. We'll be officially releasing it at World Fantasy, but you can preorder it now from the official 4Si1D website. The initial print run will be limited to 100 copies, so get yours today!

Mike
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 02:38 pm:   

Very cool stuff, Jason and Janet!

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 08:29 am:   

Thanks! Now I hope we can live up to the hype...

Michael Jasper
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 02:02 pm:   

Okay, I'm double-posting, but what the hell...

Great news today, folks. Just got word from Sean Wallace at Prime Books that he wants to publish a collection of my short stories!!!

The name of the collection is Gunning for the Buddha, from the leadoff story, one of my favorite stories I've unleashed on the world.

Sean doesn't waste any time, either. Half an hour after emailing me, he sent out the Prime Newsletter with Gunning for the Buddha listed as the most recent acquisition. And he even has a mockup of the possible cover art, which you can check out on my web journal.

Tentative release date is mid 2004. So by next summer, I could be holding my first honest-to-garsh book in my hands. Yeah baby!

More details to come soon, like the ToC, I promise!

John Klima
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2003 - 06:43 am:   

Awesome man! I can't wait to buy it!!

JK

Michael Jasper
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2004 - 10:10 am:   

It's been a LOOONG time between story acceptances, I must say (though I can' complain, as I sold FIFTEEN stories as part of my first book, the story collection about killing Buddha), but I got an email today from the editor at SF Reader, who said that my SF aliens-and-laser-guns action tale, "Remainders," won second prize in their annual story competition!

Not only will the story run on their Web site, but I also get 100 bucks and they'll interview me for SFReader.com. Very cool!

I was just thinking this morning about how long it's been since I WROTE a new story (about 3-4 months), much less SOLD one.

So yeah, I'm happy!

Mike Jasper
Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 12:20 pm:   

SF Reader now has my "prize-winning story" Remainders up at their site, along with a pretty nifty Interview with me there. I'm quite happy with how they both turned out. Daniel Blackston asked some really great questions, and as a result made me look much smarter than I really am.

Chris Dodson
Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 03:00 pm:   

Nice interview, Mike. I especially liked reading about your views on the working class. They're all too often neglected in SF.

BTW, I was perusing your journal and noticed you're a Pearl Jam fan. Rock on, man! Always nice to meet a fellow Jammer.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 02:43 am:   

Hi Chris -- thanks for the note! I'm firing up Pearl Jam's "Lost Dogs" right now -- lots of great B-sides and oddities from the boys from Seattle. They're always good at waking me up on my early-morning writing endeavors!

Glad you liked the interview. Daniel at SF Reader made me think about some interesting things with his questions, and probably inspired a new story to start percolating in the back of my mind...

Rock on! ;)

Chris Dodson
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 12:07 pm:   

LOST DOGS is great -- I've been listening to it for months and I'm still not tired of it. I think it's their best since YIELD, which is my favorite. LOST DOGS has a couple of missteps ("Sweet Lew", "Dirty Frank") but overall, it's a wonderful album.

Anyway, sorry for the threadjack. Back to the Ego Shelf!

Mike Jasper
Posted on Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 06:48 am:   

I woke up to a nifty email today, at the start of our almost-week-and-a-half vacation, from "H.L." Shaw from Fishnet magazine. She wants to buy my erotic story about young love and a video camera entitled "Repeat Performance." Sweet!

That makes nine stories out or coming out this year from me. Plus the short-story collection. Neat.

Claude Lalumière
Posted on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 05:47 pm:   

Mike,
Looks like we might be sharing another table of contents. My story "Secretly Wishing for Rain" also just got accepted by H.L. Shaw for Fishnet.
It might interest you (and others) to know that "Secretly Wishing for Rain" is explicitly linked to my Intracities story "The Lost and Found of Years"

Mike Jasper
Posted on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 01:44 pm:   

Cool deal, Claude! Sorry I didn't notice your note here sooner. Sweet.

Oh, and my story is live right now at www.fishnetmag.com!

Jamie
Posted on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 02:53 pm:   

Let me see. In August, my short story "Where Land Meets Water" will be appearing in the all-cat issue of Lunatic Chameleon (http://www.lunaticchameleon.com), a print 'zine that'll weigh in at a whopping 152 pages. The previous issue, still available, includes my short "Cat In the Rain".

Irregular Quarterly (http://www.ncf.ca/~dq831/iq.html), the print zine that I edit, still has a couple of copies of #1 available. It features stellar work by DF Lewis, Jay Lake, Jay Caselberg, and more! You can also purchase it from Clarkesworld Books (http://www.clarkesworldbooks.com). I am currently reading for #2.

Those are the most pertinent items of news at the moment, although I have pieces slated to appear in the ELP Library and the 'zine Seasons In the Night in the future.

Claude Lalumière
Posted on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 04:09 pm:   

Mike:
Talk about instant gratification.
My story is already up at Fishnet also, only a few days after being accepted.
I'm curious what you'll think, as you're somewhat indirectly responsible for it (because in my mind it's a sequel of sorts to the story I wrote for Intracities)

Jamie
Posted on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 06:50 pm:   

Well, thanks to a certain quick-responding and very communicative editor, my short horror piece "The Dinner Guest" will be appearing in Lost Pages in the coming months. :-)

des
Posted on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 05:42 am:   

Congratulations, Jamie. Look forward to it.
des

Mike
Posted on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 12:20 pm:   

Nice work, y'all. Claude, I'd read your story right now, now that I'm finally almost caught up with work, but I'm AT work and can't read it... The irony...

Mike Jasper
Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 08:42 am:   

Hey, three of my stories from last year garnered Honorable Mentions in the most recent Year's Best Fantasy and Horror anthology!

The stories are:
"Helljack" (written with Tim Pratt)
"The Disillusionist"
"Gunning for the Buddha" (also the title story of my upcoming Prime Books story collection!)

Beers all around!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration