June-July 2004 Novel Dare, continued Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Jasper, Michael » June-July 2004 Novel Dare, continued « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike Jasper
Posted on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 10:49 am:   

This is the continuation of the Novel Dare thread -- please share your latest writing achievements for the day here!

Matt Jarpe
Posted on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 06:06 pm:   

Another 1400 words tonight, so I'm up to 13,400. My goal is 1000 a day, so I'm keeping up the pace, even if I skip a day or so here and there. I just finished the first action piece and set up the main character's mission. Moving right along.

Lee Capps
Posted on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 02:52 am:   

Start my 10 hour days at work today, so only got about an hour and a half to write, during which I had to edit a magazine article as a favor for a friend. So didn't write much today. I'm up to 1405 words.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 07:27 am:   

10 hour days suck. I'm doing about 9 hour days this week to get caught up, and that sucks almost as much as 10 hours...

Only got about 150 words this morning before I went back to bed. Mondays also suck.

John Klima
Posted on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 01:57 pm:   

300 words today. Total 8300. No work done over the weekend. I have only an 8 hour day, but I have two hours of commute on each end to make it a nice 12.

JK

Mike Jasper
Posted on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 08:24 pm:   

John -- a 4 hour commute, total? Holy crap.

I mixed things up a bit today, since I couldn't drag my ass out of bed and write at the crack of dawn this morning. I had my plans for chapter five sort of in the back of my mind all day, and had a couple good ideas while cutting our knee-length grass and walking the dog tonight.

So I sat down around 9:30 and got to typing. about an hour and a half later, I was 11 pages into chapter five, and all sorts of crazy stuff has happened (see title, above).

I'm having a ball with this book, and I really really hope it all holds together when I'm done. I'm creeping close to the 100-page mark already, which is quite cool.

Lee Capps
Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 03:00 am:   

About 400 hundred words this morning. I'm going to be late for work. Ack!

Mike Jasper
Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 07:59 pm:   

Ugh -- tired. I hoped to get more written, but I'm calling it a day after a couple hundred words -- chapter 5 is killin' me!

But hey -- I'm 1/4 of the way there! I just hit 22,500 words -- only 67,500 to go...

Lee Capps
Posted on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 03:01 am:   

Happy Bloomsday, everyone. I had the very Joycean word count of about 200 words today. Because of the new hours, think I have to start getting up at 4 a.m. to get anything done.

Matt Jarpe
Posted on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 04:46 am:   

Argh, forgot all about Bloomsday. Where am I going to get a gorgonzola sandwich for lunch?

I skipped one night of writing (bad writer, no biscuit) but I got in 1400 last night, bringing me up to 14,800, just 200 words shy of my target. I'll knuckle under tonight and make it up.

Luna
Posted on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 05:31 pm:   

6/13: 1058 (yaay. Die, wolfie, die! Er.)
6/14: 0 Dammit.
6/15: 437
6/16: pending

and I don't care if it *is* Bloomsday, I ain't eating gorgonzola. Ick!

Luna
Posted on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 05:50 pm:   

6/16: 600 what a mess my char has made of things. You'd think she was blonde...oh, wait, she is.

Total: 6268

Mike Jasper
Posted on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 06:43 pm:   

Getting ready to do some writing tonight, and I ain't going to bed until chapter 5 is done, done, done!

Mike Jasper
Posted on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 08:51 pm:   

Oh, okay, I didn't get the chapter done, but I got my words in for the night, and I'm on page 95. I'll finish the chapter tomorrow.

As a reward, I'm buying myself the new Dark Tower book to geek out on this weekend.

Lee Capps
Posted on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 02:59 am:   

Argh. Another no-account, low-count day. Getting up at 4:30, just ain't good enough. It only gives me, realistically, about an hour and fifteen minutes. By the time I'm writing, it's time to get ready for work.

I'm trying to wrap my brain around the idea of getting up at 4. Somehow, I can convince myself that 4:30 is tomorrow morning, but 4 looks suspiciously like last night to me.

The good news: things are starting to cook in my story. There's some conflict, the characters are beginning to act independently (of me), and they're just about to discover the Big Mystery.

That's some fun.

Matt Jarpe
Posted on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 05:12 am:   

Just wrote a measly 400 words last night. Beats the pants off of James Joyce for wordage, but far less poetic.

The story so far: 15,200

Mike Jasper
Posted on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 09:34 am:   

Hang in there, Lee -- don't you have Fridays off now? Surely your little one can chill while you write, right? :-)

Four a.m. -- ouch.

Matt -- glad to hear you're still slogging away may. 15k is good wordage.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 06:57 pm:   

Added some latte-induced words tonight at the Borders, bringing up to over 25,000 words for the month.

And we hit the magic 100-page mark! Sweet!

Now I'm gonna go visit the Dark Tower. Later.

Jamie
Posted on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 07:16 pm:   

Man, these Novel Dares seem to be bad news for my writing. After some personal-life cataclysms, I've only managed to get up to around 65 words more than the last time I checked in.

Better get my nose to the grindstone.

John Klima
Posted on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 02:03 pm:   

1100 words today. Total up to 9400 words and 47 pages.

JK

Luna
Posted on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 05:50 pm:   

6/17: 430 on the novel dare. Wrote a flash fic piece in one hour - 771 words. Have since pared it down to a more reasonable word count for flash fic (500)
6/18: nada. Sent out 5 stories.

Total official novel wordage (the other stories don't count, one assumes): 6698.

Luna
Posted on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 06:00 pm:   

6/19: 149
6/20: 1546

novel dare total so far: 8393

Mike Jasper
Posted on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 06:51 pm:   

Argh -- I've hit the wall. No writing on the novel for the past 3 days. Instead it was Day Job work all day Friday, yard work and a get-together with friends on Saturday, and reading all of the latest Dark Tower novel all day today (good stuff, but not as great as it could've been).

Now it's almost 10 p.m. and I'm not feeling motivated, dammit.

Maybe if I get off the Net and mess around with chapter 5 some more...

Lee Capps
Posted on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 02:55 am:   

Didn't do much this weekend myself, Mike. Friends in town from Greensboro.

I'm not sure now how many words I wrote this morning. Let's say several. I'm now up to a whopping 2455 words and am enjoying chapter 2.

Tim Akers
Posted on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 05:40 am:   

Well, my week off was refreshing. I got a fair number of words done, but none of them were on the novel I'm doing for this dare, so I'm not going to count them. Wrote a bizarre neo-fantasy steampunkesque novella though. Hopefully I'll find a market for it, somewhere.

Anyway, on with the dare.

John Klima
Posted on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 07:23 pm:   

100 words today, up to 9500. Not much, but forward progress is always good no matter how little is made. I had to stop right in the middle of scene (quick typed some notes into the text to remember what I was thinking) and get back to real work. Hopefully I can make some good progress tomorrow.

JK

Mike Jasper
Posted on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 07:46 pm:   

Good to hear from everyone -- Tim, glad you made it back from your week off!

I just finished the elusive chapter 5, after lots of work and about 32 pages. Woo-hoo! I'm at 27,000 words and at page 111. One more chapter and Part One is done (for the year 1916), then it's on to 1917 and Part Two.

It's nice to have written once again. I always worry that the story will elude me, but it came back like a good puppy should. Good novel. Now stay.

Lee Capps
Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 02:52 am:   

477 words this morning. Good writing morning (I think). Much spookiness.

Tim Akers
Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 05:11 am:   

Well, about 1400 words last night, but again on that other short story project. So, I'm still at around 34k for this book. I'm having some friends read what I've got so far, and they're liking it. I've definately reached that point where I can't discern the value of my text.

Jamie
Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 07:14 am:   

Frustration sets in, as over a page of a story I wrote two weeks ago has been replaced by an excerpt from my e-book, Vessel of Heaven. It's times like this I'm thankful I often do my first drafts long-hand.

Oddly, I'm not sure at what time these two stories were on the same computer..... :S

Meanwhile, I'm making progress on a new story. Longhand, but it's probably around the 1500 word mark.

Matt Jarpe
Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 12:41 pm:   

Well, I'm out. I've discovered that I can't write like this. Well, really I've rediscovered that, since I went through the same thing the last two novels I wrote while I was in a writer's group. In Stephen King's _On Writing_ he advises to write the first draft with the door closed and the second draft with the door open. I'll give y'all a shout when the first draft is drafted.

Good luck, and get back to work.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 01:59 pm:   

Hey Matt -- good luck with your writing, and I'm looking forward to reading your story in the latest ASIMOV's!

I quite liked King's book on writing, and I'm trying to write my book fast like he advises. And I still consider the door closed, even if I give updates on my progress. I just have to fight the urge to show it to someone until I have a first draft (doing so would open that door to self-doubt, and all that).

Keep on writing, regardless...

Tim Akers
Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 07:45 pm:   

Oh, Matt's probably just trying to hide the fact that he's suddenly churning out 16k words a night. Doesn't want us to feel bad. Thanks, Matt! You're a pal!

About 1600 tonight, and I'm back on project. Recalculation of my word count shows I've got 36k words so far. I've crossed the halfway point on that outline in my head, which puts me on track to be done by the end of July. Crazy, crazy, cray-zeeee.

Lee Capps
Posted on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 02:57 am:   

Mostly tinkered with words I already had, tightening and smoothing. I'm reading _Goodbye, Columbus_ in my copious spare time (v. funny book, BTW--not so stuffy as, say, _American Pastoral_), and it seems reading Roth causes me to revise. Anyway, went over last few days' words and wrote a few more before my time ran out. I'm to 3100 words even. I fall farther behind with each passing moment.

Why don't you guys take a month off so I can catch up?

Mike
Posted on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 07:58 am:   

Argh. Lee, I'm doing my best to get you caught up! I took off yet another day, after being too tired to write last night.

But I'm gearing up to make a big push in the wordage over the next 2 weeks -- I'm taking my laptop with me on vacation starting next Monday. I hope I don't get too much sand in the keyboard!

Mike Jasper
Posted on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 07:56 pm:   

Finally -- got some more wordage in tonight, and I'm closing in on the 1/3 point in the novel. Almost done with part 1. Can't wait to get to the fun in part 2...

Tim Akers
Posted on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 06:18 am:   

Well, the St Louis Bloody Cardinals prevented me from getting any work done last night. Crap.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 07:31 pm:   

Darn that baseball, Tim! Hope you got some good stuff done today...

Me, I just hit 30,000 words. Very cool. I feel like I'm in the groove now, and with next week off from work (the Day Job's been kicking my ass for the past two weeks!) I hope to get even more written. It's nice being 1/3 of the way through this first draft of the novel already! Sweet.

Lee Capps
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 03:06 am:   

I finished Chapter 2 this morning, and, with that, I'm out. I'm looking at the time I have left before I my deadline on this non-fiction thing I'm doing, and, taking into consideration also my weird summer schedule and the little four month old to care for, I just can't do it. So I'm going to spend the next month or so taking my poor, dusty mainstream novel through another draft. Revision fits better into the little bits of time I have than drafting. And I really want to get that old thing out the door. It's been sitting for almost two years! I'll pick my new novel back up in the fall, when I go back down to 8 hour days.

Good luck to everyone!

John Klima
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 05:56 am:   

Wait...I just noticed (have I bee busy? I guess so!) that this thread was June-July novel dare...does that mean this is officially continuing past Wed?

JK

Tim Akers
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 06:33 am:   

Oh yeah. If I can get in another 3-4k words in the next three days, I'll officially be at the targeted midway point of my novel, and precisely on schedule. We'll see how it works out.

Tim Akers
Posted on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 06:29 am:   

That is, it will continue if I'm not the only one still pursuing it. Hello? Anybody?

Lee Capps
Posted on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 05:05 pm:   

I'm still here, keeping you guys honest. Keep going, Tim!

Mike
Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 08:34 am:   

Just logging in from the beach, after hitting 35,000 words! Woo woo!

Now I'm off to hit the sand and surf!

Mike Jasper
Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 08:35 am:   

And yes, guys, this thread IS continuing, through July and beyond!

I'm just out of town all week, 'til next Monday (July 5).

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 08:51 am:   

Well good, then I can continue to have an impetus to write.

JK

Mike Jasper
Posted on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 08:46 pm:   

I'm at 41k right now, hoping to get some more writing done SOON.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 04:46 pm:   

Finally got around to tweaking the latest chapter, adding 100 words or so here and there, and hoping tomorrow I can get some new writing done. The elusive half-way point has been eluding me for a while now... Maybe I can hit 45k by Friday, if I can shake this cold that's slowing me down.

Tim Akers
Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 05:19 am:   

Damn you, Mike. You've gone and passed my word count. I've become embroiled in a handful of short stories that came into my head. If I don't write them when I think of them, they simply don't get written. The positive spin is I've written or revised three stories in the past two weeks, and I'm half-way through with a third. It would come to something like 25k words of text. I'll probably get back to the novel next week, if I can get some valid writing time over the weekend.

Jamie
Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 11:32 am:   

I'm not sure whereabouts I am in word count -- likely nowhere close to Mike and Tim and y'all -- but I've been plugging away at the story-a-week routine and have ten since the beginning of June.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 04:55 pm:   

Okay, limping my way back into the Dare, after a weeklong bout with a nasty cold and lots of running around visiting family...

Got to 42,000 words today. Must start writing faster!

Tim Akers
Posted on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 07:49 am:   

I got a wretched couple hundred words done over the weekend. I've lost the narrative thread. (Not really. I've just always wanted to say that.) I'm going to reread everything I have to date over the next couple of days to get back in the voice, then pick it up near the end of the week. Hopefully. But no chance I'm gonna make it by the end of July. Wretched.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 01:45 pm:   

Hang in there, Tim! I had a really bad week myself, and I'm trying to reacquaint myself with my own durn novel. Just keep plugging away.

I plan on staying up 'til midnight to get some serious wordage done tonight. I swear.

Tim Akers
Posted on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 09:03 am:   

Forgive me for just getting around to this, Mike, but I've only just now gotten around to googling you. Hey! You're in Raleigh! Yay!

I'm from Asheville. Live in chicago now, sadly, but we must all make sacrifices. I suggest we change this from a novel dare to Tarheels Taking Over.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 08:05 pm:   

Hey Tim! I'm not from NC originally, but I've been here 10 years, long enough to get a hint of an accent. Yep, I say "y'all".

I did some re-reading and note-taking on the first 175 pages of the novel, and I realized that it's not all that bad. I was feeling for a while there like this really sucked, bad. But it's doable. Now I need to do it.

Tim Akers
Posted on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 06:21 am:   

Finished rereading the first half last night and marked up some continuity errors and obvious misspellings. Plus, I enjoyed the book, so that's nice.

Tim Akers
Posted on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 06:38 am:   

One of my beta-readers just finished the thing. He called it 'Lovecraft as told to Rawling, written by Lewis.' I think that's a pretty good description.

Mike
Posted on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 12:21 pm:   

Nice! Good luck with the second half, Tim. I'm still stalled out on mine, and I'm halfway through...

Tim Akers
Posted on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 12:42 pm:   

Halfway seems to be a stalling point. Sigh. Cursed summer.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 06:07 pm:   

I'm getting back into the novel now -- I just re-read the first 3 chapters, and they're surprisingly good. Some rough spots here and there, but it all holds together. I'm hoping to get through the next 6-7 chapters tonight before zonking out.

Can I do 40,000 words in the next 20 days? Tune in and find out!!!

Tim Akers
Posted on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 06:16 am:   

20 days? I'm personally moving my target date to the end of august.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 07:00 pm:   

Okay, I'm at 46,500 words (finally), and I'm about to make a huge push this weekend to hit 60,000 words. If I can do that, I know I can finish this sucker by the end of the first week of August. It should be fun trying. Right?

Mike Van Wie
Posted on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 07:50 am:   

Hey Mike, just ran across this site, and had to say good luck with the dare! I'm 40k words into one too, trying to finish by WorldCon. Will you be there?

Mike Jasper
Posted on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 11:14 am:   

Dang -- Mike Van Wie -- a blast from the past!

I don't think I'll be able to make WorldCon, but if I don't finish this book in time for the workshop, I may try to go. I'll look you up if I do!

And good luck with YOUR book.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 02:01 pm:   

Not a bad day, writing from more or less 9 to 5. Got about 30 pages written (give or take) and almost 7,000 words Not bad! I'm right at 54,500 words. More tomorrow... Later!

Mike Jasper
Posted on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 07:13 pm:   

Okay, got to 58,300 words, to page 240 in the novel-in-progress, and I'm heading into the final 1/3 of the book. Cool!

Man, am I tired.

Tim Akers
Posted on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 06:38 am:   

Well, July has officially been a wash for me. No good reason for it, just a completely unproductive month. Bad Tim. But I sat down last night and did 1500 words, and I'm going to sit down tonight and try to do the next 2k, and if I can keep that up for the rest of the week, maybe it won't have been a complete waste of a month.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 10:05 am:   

Hey Tim, hang in there, man. The month's not over yet!

Mike Van Wie
Posted on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 01:03 pm:   

Keep going, guys. BTW, I'm not officially daring, since I'm trying to end by August 30. But would anyone mind if I posted here anyway? I want to keep myself honest...

Mike Jasper
Posted on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 04:31 pm:   

Post away, Mike! Keep it up!

Now I've got to get some writing done myself...

Mike Jasper
Posted on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 05:16 am:   

Finally hit 60k on the novel. It ends on Sunday. I vow.

Tim Akers
Posted on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 06:27 am:   

Allez!Allez!Allez!

Well, a meager thousand words last night. But it's a thousand more, and they're good words, so that's all that matters right now.

Jamie
Posted on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 07:15 pm:   

Man, I'll have to do up a total words written for these two months and add up all the stories I've finished. I doubt I'll have quite hit 60k, but certainly if I keep at it through August I'll have a decent-sized (quality is another matter) collection in the offing.

Tim Akers
Posted on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 05:13 am:   

Passed 40k last night. I'm officially into the last third of the book.

Mike Van Wie
Posted on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 07:12 pm:   

I'm right at 48k words. About a month ago I was on a real roll, but right now (maybe halfway through the book) it feels like I'm slogging. So I'm getting about 500 words / day, which is better than nothing, but sure won't get the book done by WorldCon. Anyway, for the last few days, the word-counts are (drumroll, please):

Tue: 605
Wed: 550
Today: 500

What's up with the rest of you?

Mike Jasper
Posted on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 08:26 pm:   

I'm still at about 60,000 words, but I did some more work on my synopsis tonight, and plan on working pretty much non-stop tomorrow, Saturday, and Sunday and finishing this weekend. I hope.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 09:53 am:   

63,000 words so far today. I'm on a frickin' roll!

Mike
Posted on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 09:54 am:   

Okay, so I didn't write ALL 63,000 words today. I hit that mark in my total word count.

In case you were wondering...

John Klima
Posted on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 12:03 pm:   

I thought you had perhaps gone insane....

JK

Mike Jasper
Posted on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 06:25 pm:   

Made it to the end of another chapter, and about 68,000 words. It's starting to take on the heft of a novel now. And I'm still far from being done! Doh!

8k in one day -- got to be a personal best. Ow. My arms.

Mike
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 10:49 am:   

Doing a lot of shifting around in these final chapters, but I finally hit 70,000 words. Wow. Not bad for two months' work...

Now to cut the lawn. More later.

Mike Van Wie
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 01:30 pm:   

1075 words today, and nearly 4 pages. None of my characters ate any raw pigeon, though one did drink some skunky beer. Time to take a break -- but more may happen tonight (I hope!). Maybe I can hit 50k.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 01:36 pm:   

About 4,000 words so far today, and I'm REALLY close to wrapping up the first draft of this novel. Very close.

Just have to hang in there another couple hours.

Mike Van Wie
Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 02:57 pm:   

Good job, Mike -- hang in there. By the way, how much time do you spend on your 2nd drafts, relative to the first?

Just curious...

Mike Jasper
Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 06:13 pm:   

351 pages, 79,500 words (using Microsoft Word's Word count feature), or about 87,500 words using the old-fashioned word-counting method (250 x page #s).

I've got me a novel draft. Sweet.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 06:16 pm:   

Hey Mike -- good question! I've done five solo novels now, and one collabaration, and I'd say that the revising took at least as long as the actual drafting. Some, like my SF novel (the one with the snake-haired aliens I wrote about WAY back at our Clarion in '96) probably took five times as long to rewrite and revise, due to me chucking the original ending and rewriting about 30,000 words of it.

I kinda like revising. Drafting is like a mad dash to the finish line, carrying everything you want to put in the novel on your pack, while revising is polising all those items, chucking some of 'em, and sticking in some new goodies.

Surely there's a better metaphor for the process, but I'm too frickin' tired to think of one.

Let me know if you need a first reader for your medea novel!

Mike Van Wie
Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 06:24 pm:   

Hey, sure, I will. Maybe for draft 1.5 though -- this one is so rough I almost can't stand it. :-) In any case: 1,000 words this morning, and another 800 so far tonight. That makes today my best day in a while.

Congrats on finishing, by the way -- I'm jealous!

Tim Akers
Posted on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 06:43 am:   

I just spent the weekend in Iowa, which was a completely unproductive journey. Zero words done. Sigh.

So, I'm still at 40k. I'll make a big push this week, but I doubt I'll finish it until closer to the end of the month.

This is, after all, my first novel. I'm still learning how to, you know, write these things.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 06:56 am:   

Hey Tim -- where in Iowa where you? I'm from northeastern Iowa, originally, close to Dubuque and the Mississippi. And I went to school at the U of Iowa in Iowa City. Great town.

Good luck on the novel!

Tim Akers
Posted on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 08:41 am:   

Was in Des Moines. My mother-in-law grew up in urbandale, and we were burying her mother. Sort of a strange, disconnected couple of days of driving around neighborhoods looking at the houses they had lived in, or the hardware stores they had frequented. Good times, really, but I still feel kind of strange seeing the stations of someone else's nostalgia.

The other strange thing was how everyone was conversant in the Cubs. The primary farm league team of the cubs is in des moines (the Iowa Cubs) and pretty much everyone follows the north siders tightly. So, that was another dislocation thing that took some getting used to. Plus the chicagoan in me kept trying to mispronounce "Des Moines", the same way we say Des Plaines. So all in all, a strange weekend.

Thanks for the mojo. I can just taste the end of the book, and it's driving me nuts. Good luck all around, folks!

Mike Jasper
Posted on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 11:56 am:   

Oh yeah, the Cubs. Grew up loving them, thanks to Harry Carey and WGN. They're still my favorite team. Wrigley is the ONLY place to truly experience a ball game. Though we do have the Durham Bulls here in NC...

Tim Akers
Posted on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 02:02 pm:   

I grew up with the Asheville Tourists, which isn't quite the same. Sadly, the only Cubs game I've managed to wrangle tickets to got rained out. It was at the end of last year (they clinched their playoff spot the next day, in a double header that was arranged to make up for the game I missed) and refunds or exchanges weren't available. So.

Mike Van Wie
Posted on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 09:43 pm:   

Orioles fan here. We've been through some lean years since Ripken Jr. :-) I'd love to see a game in Wrigley, though. Maybe next summer...

Only 1 1/2 pages today, about 400 words. But I did jot down 3 pages of notes on direction for the ending...or actually, getting the characters in position to begin the ending.

Tim Akers
Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 07:04 am:   

About 1300 words last night. Since this dare is technically over, I since Mike actually finished his first draft on time (yay mike!) I think I'll crawl away and finish the thing in darkness or something. I promise to come back at the end of the month and report that it's finished, or earlier if my schedule allows. Thanks for the dare, comrade jasper. Even if I slacked most of july, it was a real help in getting me as far as it did. Book luck with your manuscript!

Mike Jasper
Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 10:08 am:   

Hey Tim, Mike, Lee, John, and anyone else who wants to play along -- I've set up a new thread in this ol' discussion board for folks to talk about their current writing progress for the day. It's not a Dare, just daily writing progress -- anyone can play.

Check it out!

Tim Akers
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2005 - 07:28 am:   

I finally finished the novel that I was working on for this dare. Last night I penned the end, then signed and dated it. I can't tell you how good it all feels.

Total word count comes to 72k words. yay!

Michael Jasper
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2005 - 07:34 am:   

Hey! Tim, that's AWESOME. Thanks for dropping by and letting us know.

Now for the fun part. Revising.

Though I'd let it sit for a while and bask in your success. You are a novelist!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration