Hmmm... Thinking about a June-July No... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Jasper, Michael » Hmmm... Thinking about a June-July Novel Dare... Hmmm... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike Jasper
Posted on Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 12:07 pm:   

Okay, so I have this novel I'd like to write, and there's a short novel workshop I was thinking of attending in September. I'd need to get the novel done by the first week of August.

Which leads me to think that... We need another Novel Dare!

Anyone interested in drafting a novel during the months of June and July (of THIS year, smart guys).

I'm not sure about the whole Dare thing myself, to be honest, but it could be fun. Anyone interested???

Chris Dodson
Posted on Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 12:27 pm:   

Hmmm . . . I'll play. I've never written a novel before, but now's as good a time as any to start, I guess. I'm not sure if I could get one done in two months, but it'd be fun to try.

Chris Dodson
Journal: The Passion of the Chris

Mike Jasper
Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 02:39 am:   

Hey Chris! Glad you're interested. I'll have to do a journal entry about it and rattle some more writers' cages.

Of course, this all assumes I can get my outline and research done this week... I'm already running out of steam...

Mike Jasper
Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 04:38 pm:   

Okay, this is looking like a pretty sure thing for me -- a novel in two months! Starting on Memorial Day, May 31st, and ending on August 1st (a Sunday), that gives you 63 days to write a novel.

If you're shooting for about 90,000 words, an average length, you'll have to do a little under 1,500 words a day or so. That's 6 double-spaced pages. Once you get in the swing of your story, it shouldn't be too hard.

If you're like me, you can bang it out in the morning first thing, before reality distracts you.

Who else wantes to play?

Mike Jasper
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 12:45 am:   

Thoughts on Novel Dares for the uncertain or pessimistic:

The main point of these Dares, along with just getting that shitty first draft out of the way, is to demystify the whole act of writing a novel. It's not about inspiration or waiting for the muse -- it's about telling your own story to yourself in a condensed amount of time so it remains fresh in your brain for the duration of the telling. And it's just good old-fashioned hard work and staying focused in the face of the constant distractions of our daily lives. Just because you write your novel fast doesn't mean it's bad. It just means that you are able to complete stuff. (Revising's a whole 'nother story!)

Matt Jarpe
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 08:13 am:   

OK, I'll bite. I've been planning on drafting a new YA SF novel. I've got a pretty good start in my head. So what's the deal, hands to keyboards on June 1st?

Mike Jasper
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 09:19 am:   

All right! Welcome, Matt. Good for you for doing YA SF. Nobody seems to be doing that these days, and kids only have fantasy to read.

Rules are simple -- try to write every day and report your results here at the topic I'll set up on the first day of the Dare. For me, I'm getting a jump on things by starting a day early, on Memorial Day, May 31st.

And I'll be finishing up on August 1st, a Sunday. So that's actually 63 days...

Just get that first draft out on paper, that's all you gotta do.

SarahP
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 09:27 am:   

I'm in, Mike! I'm still working on the same novel, so it won't be a 90k project, but I need some inspiration to get started again, to finish the last 20-30k and begin revisions. (And thanks again for the *awesome* crit, which is inspiring enough in itself!).

I swear, if I ever do finish this book and get it published, I'm going to dedicate it to Mike and his novel challenges.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 10:56 am:   

Aw, Sarah -- dedicate that book to your husband and kids, not some clueless soul like me!

Glad you're in!

Tim Akers
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 02:29 pm:   

So, I'll play if you don't mind me having a head start. I've got about 10k done on a novel that's been stalled since the end of March. This'd be a good excuse to get it started again.

Judi Griggs
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 03:04 pm:   

I've needed a kick-in-the-butt for several months now. Maybe you can do what my husband, agent and bank account can not. Count me in. "Women Who Wine" will move from the stickies and outlines to reality by September.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 05:53 pm:   

Cool! The more the merrier, the more to do some ass-kicking when people get stuck.

mike bishop
Posted on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 06:56 am:   

I'd sign up for this challenge if June and July weren't the only two months in the whole year when Jeri and I can get away from Pine Mountain for some travel. (And I don't think that's just an excuse to avoid jumping in.) But I like the idea of a two-month novel-writing challenge and hope you won't mind my checking in to see how those of you who've committed to it end up faring. Good luck to all of you.

Chris Dodson
Posted on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 12:09 pm:   

Yay! Good to see more folks doing this. The more people I see succeeding, the less chance I'll have of getting frustrated and quitting.

Good luck, everybody!

Chris Dodson
Journal: The Passion of the Chris

Mike Jasper
Posted on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 01:15 pm:   

Thanks, Mike! I wasn't going to do another one of these after nearly burning myself out last year finishing up a novel, but I just can't help it. I'm looking forward to reading about everyone's novel-writing adventures.

And then reading the novels that come from it later...

mike
Posted on Saturday, May 29, 2004 - 05:50 am:   

Yes, I'm looking forward to hearing about the labors involved and the novels that result. Only a couple of more days, by the way, until you need to knuckle down to the task itself . . . if any of you write with your knuckles, as I occasionally seem to do.

mike b.
Posted on Saturday, May 29, 2004 - 05:51 am:   

(I probably should have listed my username as mike b. to differentiate myself from the proprietor of this board. Sorry for the confusion.)

Mike Jasper
Posted on Saturday, May 29, 2004 - 11:35 am:   

I'm all done with the first round of research, and the story is sort of taking shape. Tomorrow I plan on jamming out a rough chapter-by-chapter guide, in case I get stuck, and then Monday I start writing in earnest.

As an added treat, my wife and I are going to a Durham Bulls game tomorrow night with her sister and husband and our nephew, so that ought to be a nice opening pitch to my baseball novel.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 11:43 am:   

Okay, cool -- got the novel all outlined for the Dare, and I'm ready to start drafting tomorrow! I had the last little piece of characterization fall into place this morning as I walked the dog, and I've been finshing up the research and organizaing all morning, and into the afternoon.

I'm already 2,500 words into the book! Only 77,500 more words to go! woo-hoo!

Mike Jasper
Posted on Monday, May 31, 2004 - 08:29 am:   

Okay, folks, I've opened up the new Novel Dare topic. Go to it -- share your writing experiences for today. Hope yours went well!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration