Working Out, Losing the lbs... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Jasper, Michael » Working Out, Losing the lbs... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike Jasper
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 07:40 am:   

Just wanted to start a new version of the "Working Out" topic to keep people motivated to stay healthy.

I hit the gym this morning and did a pretty hard arm and leg workout, alternating from arms to legs with each set, without breaking in between.

I'm about to fall over, now.

Also, I decided last night that I've had enough, and I need to lose some weight. The goal is to hit 225 by the time my wife is due to have our first baby, which is December 9th.

Right now, as of this morning, I'm at 264 (cringe). I'm hoping that the mere fact of posting my weight here will keep me honest.

If that doesn't work -- it's Weight Watchers!

Feel free to share your workout/diet stories here. Misery loves company... :-)

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 10:00 am:   

Hey Mike. My wife and I have started working out again (it seems like an annual Spring ritual). Mostly it's a fairly light arm workout (have to work my way back up into the dumbbells I have and then hope to push on to heavier ones) alternately with Yoga or jogging every other day. On the weekend we try to do one BIGGER thing like play tennis or something.

As of this week, I am at 283. I was at 300 or a little over to start the year, and then dropped to 285 by the end of Feb. Then I fluctuated from 285 to 295 for a few months and got serious again. This is the first time I've been below 285 for many years.

The two big things I've done to change my diet is to stop using sugar in my coffee, and to stop buying extra soda while at work. I have about a 20 to 25 minute walk every morning (14 blocks up and one long block over) that I guess is also part of my workout.

I had hoped to hit the 270s by the end of March, but here's pushing towards the 260s by July, which was the second goal I had set for myself. This means I have to lose at least 14 pounds in the next two months, which might be difficult. My ultimate goal is to get to about 240. If I can get there, we'll see if I want to continue down or not.

Best of luck!

JK

Mike Jasper
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 10:15 am:   

Thanks for dropping by, John! Sounds like you've got a good plan. I'm jealous that you get to walk to work, but I'm sure it sucks during winter snowstorms...

You must be at least 6'1" or 6'2" -- you carry your weight well. I'd never guessed you were around 280 or so.

Just think, if we were wrestling, we'd be super-heavyweights!

(not sure if that's meant to be encouraging or not...but hey, let's just say we're super and leave it at that.)

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 10:52 am:   

Yeah I come from heavy Austrian/Czech stock. I'm around 6'2", my hat size is 7-7/8 to 8, and my chest/jacket is 52" to 54". So I'm not a small person.

We'll have to consider that wrestling thing. It's the sort of side career to help supplement our writing/publishing lives.

JK

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 10:58 am:   

Have to mention Mike, you're heavier than I would have suspected, too.

JK

Mike
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 10:59 am:   

But no way am I wearing a singlet again!

Or a unitard.

Iron James
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 12:25 pm:   

My weight has never been a problem, I'm 6'1" and weigh just over 190, so that's fine. But I'm so out of shape it isn't funny.

But I do thnk I've found an exercise I really like. I put on loaded gloves and worked on the heavy bag until I couldn't punch and my knees were weak. Didn't know it was possible to breathe that hard or sweat that much without dying.

I loved boxing when I was young, so I think varuous boxing workouts are going to be it for a while.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 01:06 pm:   

Iron James -- that's too cool. Where do you have to go to punch the bag? Or do you have one at home.

This sounds like fun. Maybe even better than rasslin'.

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 01:29 pm:   

Yeah but with rasslin' you get to make up all those cool storylines.

JK

Steven Francis Murphy
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 03:04 pm:   

If it makes you feel any better, Mike, I was up to 225 lbs at one point.

I'm definitely not getting into singlets for you guys. Never.

I did get to the gym last night and did forty minutes of cardio, and pushed in six sets on the abdominal nautilus.

I may go again tonight, will definitely go Wednesday.

Respects,
S. F. Murphy
http://sfmurphy.journalspace.com

Jamie
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 03:33 pm:   

Ooh, if you guys are wrasslin', can I be the annoying backstage guy that wields all the power? Think Russo with intelligence, or Heyman with hair!

Wondering how many people will get those references....

Iron James
Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 12:58 am:   

I have a heavy bag on the patio that I use when time is short and the weather is good. Well, it actually belongs to my son. But there's a gym about two miles from where I live that has the works. It not only has a heavy bag, but a speed bag, a double end bag, a sparring ring, medicine balls, jump ropes of various weights and lengths, plus all the Nautilus equipment, and treadmills, etc.

At $35 a month, it's the best deal around.

I really don't like lifting weights, and never have. Bores me stiff. This kind of a workout really zoned me out way back before I got married, and I'm happy to learn it still does.

The gloves I use are eight ounce martial arts full contact tournament gloves, except that each glove has a four ounce iron bar sewn into the palm to increase the exercise factor.

They work. I'm not sure I've ever been as sore as I am right now.

When I was eighteen, I boxed at least once a month, sometimes to or three times a month, and sparred on many other days. I was pretty good, and now I'm having stupid fantasies of getting back in the ring and sparring with some of those kids at the gym, when and if I get back in shape. My son tells me I could probably beat about half of them, and hold my own with most of the rest, but that the top five or six would kill me in the first round. It's what he does for a living, so he should know.

If only I were thirty years younger. It's sad when the reflexes go. Best to just keep punching the bags, try to get back in shape, and let whipping all those youngsters remain a fantasy.

Steven Francis Murphy
Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 06:58 am:   

Hmm, WWE for SF and Fantasy writers, readers and aspirants. We could have our own ladder fights in cages.

Ouch. My knees and elbows hurt already!

Respects,
S. F. Murphy

Mike Jasper
Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 07:22 am:   

Hey, maybe with Iron James in our corner, we could train in Extreme Fighting, using our rasslin' and boxing skills to kick some major ass. Then we could all write stories about it...

Back on topic, though -- weighed in today at 260. So I lost 4 pounds in a day. Either my scale is totally messed up, or my metabolism is whacked. But I'll take it.

According to my Yahoo Diet Tracker (TM), I'm 11% there toward meeting my goal of hitting 225. Weird!

Skipped the gym today and took the dog for a hike this morning. A good cardio workout. Now I just need to fight the urge to snack today (my biggest downfall -- I nibble when bored).

Steven Francis Murphy
Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 09:25 am:   

Mike, I always take scale measurements with a grain of salt. I tend to go with a plus/minus five pound margin of error. Especially if you are using a store bought five dollar scale.

Best way to tell what is going on is to get some measuring tape (surely Elizabeth has the kind I'm talking about, if not, go to the sewing section of any store for it) and run it around your torso in line with your navel.

The measurement will be less in the mornings than in the evenings. In my case, say it is 35 inches in the morning climbing to 37 inches in the evening. Some of this is the accumulation of the day's fluids, food, processed gunk, possibly gas.

If you see your morning measurement begin to go down (recently mine came in at around 34 inches), then you are actually making progress. If it starts to go up and keeps going up, you might have trouble. The one exception is if you are doing a lot of strength workouts with your abs/lower back. If the muscle is getting bigger, it is going to toss off your measurement.

Just some thoughts.

I have snacking urges too. It is worse at my job, because I can get what I want when I want.

Respects,
S. F. Murphy

Iron James
Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 08:56 pm:   

Worked out half an hour this evening. Slow workout on the double end bag, hoping to get rid of some soreness. Did not go well, though I'm about halfway certain I survived.

Switched to a treadmill then and slow jogged for another twenty minutes. That's enough for me today.

Folks, I have the feel that even with one boxer and two wrestlers, we might get our butts kicks by the first Girl Scout we try to steal cookies from.

Steven Francis Murphy
Posted on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 07:06 am:   

Got out to nearby Macken Park, which has a mile in diameter asphalt track for a two mile walk. Then went to the gym for thirty minutes of cardio on the elliptical (or ellipsis).

After that it was abs, chest, triceps, adductors and abductors. Then I sat in the hottub.

I don't jog or run anymore. Don't care for it at all. Never liked it in the Army.

Respects,
S. F. Murphy

Mike Jasper
Posted on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 08:26 am:   

I did a quick upper-body workout this morning, and for some reason my butt was dragging. I think it's because I'm cutting back on the food. But I have a big lunch planned, as I mad the probably bad choice to join my buddy Cinque for some pickup basketball today after work. It could be ugly...

The scale said 258 today. Heh.

Iron James
Posted on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 02:53 pm:   

Had to do an early workout because i have a concert to attend later. Worked the heavy bag for fiteen minutes, then jumped rope for ten, and finished with a fifteen minute jog on the treadmill. I'm already starting to feel better, but I'm still incredibly sore in spots. The exercise helps, then the soreness returns an hour later.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 06:07 pm:   

Um. TOMORROW I'm getting back to the gym. Been doing lots of yard work, which has to count for something (planted two tree and three bushes this weekend, plus cutting the grass and pulling lots of weeds). But I need to do weights again. The carpal-tunnel is killing me.

I'm staying off the scale for a bit, though...

Mike Jasper
Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 12:41 pm:   

Man. FINALLY made it back to the gym today. Did lots of low-weight, high-rep exercises so I'm not a walking mass of soreness tomorrow. I feel pretty good so far today. It's nice getting that boost of energy from working out again. THat energy comes in handy when I'm getting up at the crack of dawn to write. Staying awake at the day job can be problematic...

Mike Jasper
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 12:46 am:   

Oh, and... current scale reading is 262. Sigh. ;)

Mike Jasper
Posted on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 01:16 pm:   

Another good workout this morning at the gym, doing low weights and high reps, and I'm surprisingly not too sore.

Of course, my co-worker brought in cookies today. Bad co-worker. Good cookies.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 07:44 am:   

Finally getting back into the swing of regular workouts again. I've been going to the gym every other day for the past week, and jogging on the off days. It's going well.

Now I just have to keep from chowing down with my metabolism all revved up again!

Mike Jasper
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 11:38 am:   

Okay, it's been a while, but I'm finally getting up in the morning again and hitting the gym. I totally got off-stride with this during the summer, as I was busy working on my novel and "didn't have the time."

But now that it's fall, I need to hit the gym again, hard. My arms are sore all the time (too much typing and mousing) and I feel tired constantly. The gym is just the thing to snap me out of this.

I'm glad to see that I didn't lose TOO much strength during my 4-month hiatus. We'll see how sore I am tomorrow, however...

Mike Jasper
Posted on Tuesday, October 12, 2004 - 12:33 pm:   

Two days in a row for the gym! Amazing.

But I'm sore. Not too bad, but just enough to be annoying.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 09:45 am:   

Man, I'm slack, I know, but I finally got back to the gym this morning for a good, light workout.

I'm not too sore, but my head's starting to ache. Not sure if the workout and the headache are connected. Maybe it's from all the good food and drink from the past long weekend...

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration