The Son of Today's Writing Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Jasper, Michael » The Son of Today's Writing « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Steven Francis Murphy
Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 07:26 am:   

I don't think Mike will mind my starting a new one. The continued thread is at 107 posts. Probably not a lot of fun for dial up users to read.

I spent the weekend reading over the preliminary second draft of The Limb Knitter asking all of the usual questions. Why is this person doing this? What is going on? What do things look/smell/sound/taste like? I tend to get dialogue out of the way first, then put the other stuff in as needed. I've got a couple of more scenes I need to write out, then transcribe before I've got all of the mandatory holes filled.

I've got tomorrow off, so maybe I'll get some of that work done.

Respects,
S. F. Murphy
http://sfmurphy.journalspace.com

Mike Jasper
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 07:11 am:   

Cool -- thanks for the new Topic. I've not been paying enough attention to things like this (I'm spoiled by my cable modem at home and T1 lines at work).

Got about 3,000 words added to my current story, and I can see the end in sight, at last. It's actually turned out to be a pretty good story. I should have it finished and ready to mail out by May 1st, if I can stick with the early-morning writing sessions all week. Very cool.

Steven Francis Murphy
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 11:08 am:   

Okay, back in the actual writing saddle today. I've got a single longhand sheet done (inspite of people talking into my ear at work). Don't you hate that? If you have your head down over a notepad and your pen is scribbling along, you'd think people would know enough to leave you alone.

Anyway, working at plugging some of the gaps, adding details and fixing contradictions in the current draft of The Limb Knitter.

Respects,
S. F. Murphy

Chris Dodson
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 04:12 pm:   

Just started work on a new horror story, "Dead Soldiers All in a Row." I'd like to get this one done by June so I can submit it to Chizine's short story contest. So far, I've just been doing research and working on background details of the characters.

I've also been working on some questions for Sheila Williams, who I'm interviewing for the Internet Review of Science Fiction. If anybody has anything they'd like me to ask her, just e-mail me or leave a comment on my blog.

Chris Dodson
Journal: The Passion of the Chris

E Thomas
Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 01:24 am:   

Wow, Chris, that should be a really neat interview. Good thinking to ask her if she would be willing to do it. I'm sure a lot of people will be interested to read it.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 06:52 am:   

Chris -- I left a couple questions at your blog. Hope they're not too lame...

Got about 400 words squeezed out this morning on the story that would not end. I'm at about 8,200 words and still hoping I can finish it before it goes over 10k. Then I want to whittle down to under 7,500 words to send to SCI FICTION.

After that, it's on to the new novel! Woo-hoo!

Steven Francis Murphy
Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 07:11 am:   

I finally got five longhand sheets done yesterday for a rewrite of The Limb Knitter.

I can't imagine working on a novel and doing the short stories at the same time. Whew, Mike. Maybe someday. . .

Respects,
S. F. Murphy

Mike Jasper
Posted on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 06:41 am:   

ALMOST THERE! Got all the pieces in place for the final scene, which I'm really worried is going to be anticlimactic, but I think I can pull it off tomorrow a.m. And I may be able to do it all under 9k words. Right now it's 36 double spaced pages... Yikes.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 04:22 am:   

Hot damn -- got a draft of my story done. Still don't like the title much ("Painting Haiti"), but it seems to fit, so...

Man, it took me about 5 weeks to do a draft of this thing -- and it 41 pages, double-spaced, close to 10,000 words. Crazy.

One benefit of taking my time on this is that I've got some characters that I'd like to get to know better, probably in a novel. So it was time well spent.

Now to take a look at the printout and see if this sucker even makes SENSE.

Iron James
Posted on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 10:26 am:   

I actually wrote the first draft of a short story this morning. A 3,218 word mystery. Usually, this wouldn't be a big deal, but it's the first writing I've done in six days. Why? Simple. Six days ago DSL finally reached my neighborhood, and I had it installed.

Do you have any idea how much easier it is to waste time online with DSL than it is with dial-up?

Chris Dodson
Posted on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 09:54 pm:   

That's the main reason I haven't gone to DSL. If I do, I'll just sit here and download music and movies for the rest of my life. I already spend way too much time on the Internet as it is.

In between arguing with people on message boards, today I finished three pages of my story "Dead Soldiers All in a Row," which will be my entry in Chizine's short story contest. (BTW, Murph, thanks for recommending JARHEAD -- great book!)

Chris Dodson
Journal: The Passion of the Chris

Iron James
Posted on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 04:20 pm:   

Chris, movies and music, yes. But much else came with this DSL. A free subscription to Encyclopedia Britannica, for example. Great for research, but I keep looking up things I'll never need.

And ABC News live, plus 20/20 and Primetime. And Fox News and Fox Sports. And enough speed to watch C-Span and Booknotes and Nova. And roughly fifteen TV stations that all look good. And hundreds of new radio stations.

I haven't even explored half the option yet. I may never write again.

Steven Francis Murphy
Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 03:18 pm:   

I sat down with The Limb Knitter drafts today and actually wrote out an outline for the Third Draft (I'm on Draft Two right now). I've got a lot of things going on and I needed to get them organized before they ran off like a herd of cats.

Now that I have a clearer picture of things, I'll probably get back to rewriting here in the next couple of days.

Respects,
S. F. Murphy

Mike Jasper
Posted on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 11:12 am:   

Argh. Been trying to get motivated to revising my 10,000-word story I wrote last week, but have not got around to it all week. Frustrating.

I'm hoping to re-read it tonight or tomorrow and make lots of notes, so the revising goes fairly smoothly this weekend.

I also have 2 stories from fellow writing friends to read and critique, so that should get the old juices flowing again.

I curse my day job sometimes, I really do. Sitting in front of a computer all day saps whatever desire I might have to sit in front of a computer to do my own writing... But what can ya do?

Steven Francis Murphy
Posted on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 11:29 am:   

Mike, sometimes I wonder if it isn't best to let a project sit for a week? Maybe concentrate on other things, or better yet, things not related to writing? Seems like when I get the blahs about something, the harder I push to work on it, the worse the project gets.

That being said, I got my third draft outline done for The Limb Knitter, figured out where I can cut some scenes, consolidate others, consolidate two characters into one, and I got back to writing longhand today.

Mike, I know exactly what you mean about the computer sapping the desire to write. Fortunately, there are posts I can work at where there is no computer. :-)

Need to hurry up and get The Limb Knitter done. Summer is coming and I feel the barrage of ideas that I get during warm weather beating me upside the head fast and furious.

Respects,
S. F. Murphy

Steven Francis Murphy
Posted on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 09:20 am:   

Well, I've started on the third draft of The Limb Knitter. I got a longhand sheet done yesterday and one more so far today.

Jesus I spend a lot of time on rewrites.

Respects,
S. F. Murphy

Steven Francis Murphy
Posted on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 03:16 pm:   

I'm up to seven longhand sheets on the third draft of The Limb Knitter. I'm going to skip the gym tonight and see if I can't get more of it done. The pieces seem to be snapping together, finally.

Respects,
S. F. Murphy

Steven Francis Murphy
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 07:00 am:   

Okay, I got a total of eleven longhand sheets done for The Limb Knitter last night. I'm plugging along.

Hell, I may even post an excerpt here in the next few days once I start transcribing.

Respects,
S. F. Murphy

Mike Jasper
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 07:09 am:   

Um. Looked at my story. Made some notes on it.

I'm hoping to get a revised draft done in the next day or 2. I'm slack.

Steven Francis Murphy
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 08:49 am:   

Mike, you are where I was last week. I sympathize.

Respects,
S. F. Murphy

P.S. I need to get my fat ass back to the gym. Working all of this overtime has ruined my workout schedule.

Steven Francis Murphy
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 07:20 am:   

Got another four pages of longhand done yesterday.

Respects,
S. F. Murphy

Mike Jasper
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 07:38 am:   

I did a little organizing on my historical baseball fantasy novel this a.m., but still haven't revised my story. Looking forward to a long weekend at the beach to recharge my batteries. Right now I don't feel like writing much of anything in the way of fiction. Frustrating.

Steven Francis Murphy
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 09:20 am:   

Sometimes it is best to putter a bit, Mike. At least that is what I tell myself when I don't feel like working on my fiction.

Fortunately, I don't feel that way right now. Two weeks ago I did, but not now.

Have a good time at the beach. Wish there was one within driving distance of my location.

Respects,
S. F. Murphy

Steven Francis Murphy
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 04:17 pm:   

Got another six pages longhand done on the third draft of The Limb Knitter today. It is pulling together.

Mike, I've not forgotten about your story that I'm supposed to look at. I'm going to do it this weekend. Pinkie swear. :-)

Respects,
S. F. Murphy

Mike Jasper
Posted on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 07:46 am:   

Finally finished a second draft of the story I've been messing with for the past month and a half (almost two months!). It's close to being there. Just needs one more really hard look. But I like the ending now, and I think it even makes sense. Bonus!

Steven Francis Murphy
Posted on Friday, May 14, 2004 - 10:05 am:   

I got six sheets of longhand done on the third draft of The Limb Knitter done yesterday. I hope to get the third draft finished and transcribed by the end of the weekend. This particular method of rewriting the whole manuscript longhand seems to be effective and it looks like it will cut down on the number of rewrites (so he hopes). I normally do upwards of six major rewrites per story (dragging the process out over a period of months).

I also read part of The Limb Knitter in my Creative Writing class for my final last night. It was well received, which was a relief.

Respects,
S. F. Murphy

Steven Francis Murphy
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 06:09 pm:   

Got the third draft of The Limb Knitter done. Thirty-seven sheets of longhand work. All I need to do now is transcribe it, polish it, edit the last draft and send it.

Respects,
S. F. Murphy

Simon Owens
Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 07:31 pm:   

Sold a story for 3 cents a word to Neometropolis. Also got accepted into Tobias Buckell's Writing Jam this summer, this will be my first chance to meet other Neo-pros. I finished the first 600 words of the story I'll be submitting for the first critique session.

Mike, I guess there's no way to talk you into coming?

Mike Jasper
Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 09:31 am:   

Finally got a really good revision on my story "Painting Haiti." (Apparently my readers liked the title, so it's not going to change -- go figure!) It's almost ready, and I hope to send it out on Saturday. Finally.

Simon -- can't make it. No money or time! And I'm saving my vacation time at work for when the baby arrives. Congrats on your sale! I haven't heard of Neometropolis -- I'll have to look it up.

And hey Steven -- congrats on finishing your draft!

Steven Francis Murphy
Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 11:06 am:   

Thanks, Mike.

I started transcribing it yesterday. Hopefully I'll have a typed version by the end of the weekend.

Respects,
S. F. Murphy

Mike Jasper
Posted on Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 02:50 pm:   

DONE!!!!

The Haiti story has been revised, tweaked, and revised again. This morning I printed it out, all 33 double-spaced Courierized glorious pages, and popped that sucker in the mail.

Phew. Now I can get to work on revising that SF play I'm collaborating on tomorrow.

And then... I start work on outlining and drafting the new novel! Can't wait.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 02:59 pm:   

DONE!!!!

The Haiti story has been revised, tweaked, and revised again. This morning I printed it out, all 33 double-spaced Courierized glorious pages, and popped that sucker in the mail.

Phew. Now I can get to work on revising that SF play I'm collaborating on tomorrow.

And then... I start work on outlining and drafting the new novel! Can't wait.

mj
Posted on Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 02:59 pm:   

oops. so excited i double-posted...

Matt Jarpe
Posted on Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 05:26 pm:   

I sent off my Venus terraforming story today, my first submission to Sheila. I've gotten one bounce from her, but I had subbed to Gardner. I've got a bit of work to do on two other stories and I plan to send one off to Stan and the other to Gordon. The struggling SF writer's hat trick: one story in every digest market. Of course you can't hold that for more than a week with Gordon's turn around.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 06:06 pm:   

Good luck, Matt! I've been trying to do the same hat trick for years now, but have only been able to crack Asimov's.

I've given up on Analog. F&SF, maybe.

Not only did I finish my short story yesterday, but I jammed out a revision to the SF play I'm collaborating on with filmmaker Aaron Vanek tonight. So all those projects are off my plate.

Next up -- the history baseball novel!

Matt Jarpe
Posted on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 07:16 pm:   

Well, getting published in all three markets would be a nice hat trick, but I was just talking about having subs to all three at once. I've considered giving up on Analog, but I'm going to stick with it. Stan's bounces aren't encouraging, but then again reviewers are always saying my stories belong in Analog. Maybe they're right. I have no idea when my story will show up in F&SF. No mention in "Things to Come." It's a bit long, on the novella line, so maybe hard to fit in.

I changed my mind at the last minute and sent one of those stories to SciFiction instead of F&SF. Something about that siren's call of two bits a word drew me in. I can almost hear Ellen now: "Matt, sell me a story and I'll pay you $2000. Submit to me. Submit."

I don't like my chances, considering who she usually publishes, but this story has the best shot so far. It's another space hardware thing, but with psychic powers. We'll see.

Steven Francis Murphy
Posted on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 06:52 am:   

Matt, with your science background, I'd think you'd have a pretty good chance at Analog. I don't even bother with them myself. I don't pretend to be a scientist or an engineer.

I got a total of 6,325 words transcribed on The Limb Knitter this weekend. I'm making good progress on it. Hopefully it will be wrapped up by the end of the week. Then it will be time for another edit (just for polishing, I hope).

Matt, I'm sorry to hear Shelia rejected your piece. I like reading your stuff.

Respects,
S. F. Murphy

Mike Jasper
Posted on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 01:54 pm:   

Cool deal on getting into F&SF, Matt. And nice work on the wordage this weekend, Steve. Looking forward to reading it one of these days...

I'm immersed in novel-prepping right now, which is one of my favorite things to do. I feel like the possibilities are endless. I've got a general notion of what I want to do with this novel, and just today I realized I want to make it a bit more... weird than originally planned.

The goal is to get the outline done by the end of the week, then start drafting like a maniac with the hopes of getting it done in time to take it to this workshop in September. (If I don't make it out there, I'm going to try like hell to get to World Con instead, as my story collection debuts -- or is supposed to debut -- there). I love me some deadlines, now.

Steven Francis Murphy
Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 06:48 am:   

Got the The Limb Knitter up to 8,000 words on transcription of the third draft. I just might get that process done today or tomorrow.

Then comes the inevitable edit/prune/polish/fix process.

I think I'll skip the novel dare. Not really ready to leap into a novel writing effort yet.

Mike, I'll probably have it ready for you here in the next few days.

Respects,
S. F. Murphy

Jamie
Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 12:07 pm:   

I finished off that story that dovetailed me a while back. I'd set it aside for a while, came back, fiddled a bit, set it aside, came back, ploughed through most of it, set it aside, came back, finished it. During the course of which I wrote something like two or three other stories. *shrug*

I think it came together well, although we'll have to wait and see what the editors think. It's longer than anything I've written in a while. In fact, I've been saying that about the last few pieces I've finished.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 12:40 pm:   

Still banging away at the outline for the baseball novel, and -- a good sign -- I keep thinking about it in my free time. Coming up with plot twists. Adding events that would be fun to write. Which makes me quite excited about diving into the drafting part of the book, which starts next week.

Still thinking about doing a two-month Dare to get that draft done by August.

Steven Francis Murphy
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 06:53 am:   

Hell, Mike. It takes me three to four months just to hack out a short story. Think I'll pass on the novel dare just now.

Finally finished transcribing the third draft of The Limb Knitter. Now we're at the (expletive deleted) prune/edit/polish/rewrite phase. Mike knows how much I love to rewrite. :-)

The final word count on the third draft is 8,577. I suspect this will change. I want to try and get it under 7,000 if I can.

Mike, I don't know much about baseball history, but if you need any help on other bits of historical research, I'd be more than happy to help. If I don't know it, I can contact some profs at the UMKC history department for help.

Oh, and Bewildering Stories accepted my short poem, Earth, One Each.

Respects,
S. F. Murphy

Steven Francis Murphy
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 06:49 pm:   

Well, while everyone is off playing on the novel dare (and good for you guys and gals) I've started a rewrite of another of my stories, Tranquility Lost. This is another one that I'm doing longhand from the original manuscript so I'm only two and a half pages in right now.

And I got the third draft of The Limb Knitter wrapped up. The final word count on it was 8,700.

Thanks again in advance for taking a look at that one, Mike.

Respects,
S. F. Murphy

Tribeless
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 02:32 am:   

I've had a computer melt down over the last week. Lost about half of a short story I was working on, and that I was quite pleased with. I'll never be able to exactly get back to where I was.

Now that sucks.

Steven Francis Murphy
Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 07:38 am:   

Well, while everyone else has been working on their novels, I've been working at polishing up my latest short story project. Right now The Limb Knitter comes in around 8,700 words on the fourth draft.

Hopefully I'll get it out into market at the end of the month.

Sounds like everyone has been going gangbusters with their novels. Maybe I'll take part in a novel dare someday.

Respects,
S. F. Murphy

Tribeless
Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 11:34 pm:   

Reject from Strange Horizons.

Discouraging, but onward and upward.

Tribeless
Posted on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 05:35 pm:   

Just emailed another short story to Strange Horizons. Simply because they take email submissions and they are a professional publication I've decided to send stories always to SH first ... being on the other side of the world from the US, the cost and inconvenience of the snail mail submissions to F&SF, Asimov's, SciFi are killing me, so I'm going to knock them on the head.

Stephen. Looking forward to finding out whether or not Homesick Commo Dog is going to make it.

Steven Francis Murphy
Posted on Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 09:59 pm:   

Keep at it, Tribeless. You're bound to break in if you are persistent enough.

At least that is what I tell myself.

The Limb Knitter is done. Whew! When the next payday rolls along, I'll load her up into the envelope and send her off to meet the Gods of Fate.

Final word count after all the fiddle farting around (through five drafts, managed to weed myself down one this time) came to 8,355.

If you toss in the word count for Homesick Commo Dog which is 10,000 words exact, then I've got 18,355 for the year.

Which is admittedly not very impressive in so far as output goes, but there you go.

Tribeless, at this point, I'm looking forward to just getting some closure on Homesick Commo Dog. If I have to rewrite that thing one more time, I'm going to go crackers!

I'll just let it sit for a year or three. I don't think I can bring myself to look at it again for awhile. :-)

Now it is time to work on that rewrite of Tranquility Lost.

Respects,
S. F. Murphy

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration