INTRACITIES: reviews Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Jasper, Michael » INTRACITIES: reviews « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Claude Lalumière
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 07:34 am:   

Mike et al.:
I just stumbled on a brief review of INTRACITIES in this blog (see Wednesday, 15 october 2003, 4th paragraph):
http://andyhat.livejournal.com/

Mike Jasoer
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 11:35 am:   

Cool! Glad he liked (most of) the stories!

If anyone else runs across INTRACITIES reviews, please link to 'em here! Thanks, Claude.

Claude Lalumière
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 03:05 am:   

Here's another blog review of Intracities:
http://journalscape.com/AndrewN/2003-10-09-22:20

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 11:03 am:   

Hey cool, I made it into the highlights! Woo!

Claude, your funky metafictional story seems to be the hit of the antho so far.

Rachel Heslin
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 11:36 am:   

Of course it is. It had my favorite line of the chapbook:

"This is all Jasper's fault. Stupid fucking anthology."

;)

Claude Lalumière
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 01:56 pm:   

Thanks everyone for the warm and enthusiastic reception to "The Lost of Found of Years". I had a lot of fun writing it -- and I guess it shows.
I always show my stories to a few friends before sending them off, and some of them were concerned that, unless you'd read the first few Lost Pages stories (in Interzone and OtherDimensions.com), this one would make no sense. They couldn't tell for sure, since they've read everything of mine, but they were concerned. But I'm glad to see my gut feelings were right. It seems to work regardless.

Rachel Heslin
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2003 - 12:08 pm:   

It is very in-joke/cliquish, but apparently those of us who read the chapbook are sufficiently, um, "hip" to get it. It's possible that people who aren't writers themselves might not identify with the story, but at least you know you have an audience somewhere.

Claude Lalumière
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2003 - 01:16 pm:   

Rachel--
Oddly, none of my friends had problems with the cliquishness (even though several of them have never really heard of the people I reference); I just used real names for effect, but I think my portrait of a bitter, failed writer's lifestyle would have been just as clear with fictional names.
What my friends were worried about was that the ending would be meaningless to anyone who hadn't read the "real" Lost Pages stories. But, clearly, that doesn't seem to be a problem. (Or maybe I'm falsely assuming that people haven't read them.)

Rachel Heslin
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2003 - 01:28 pm:   

Would it have had more of an "aHA!" revelation/recognition effect at the end if I'd read those stories? Probably. Did I still understand and appreciate the metaphor? Yep.

So it sounds like my concerns about some of the cliquishness are similar to those of your friends regarding the Lost Pages stories, with the following reassurance: knowing the names and the references might add a little additional thrill (or snicker, or whatever), but the story stands up on its own even without the inside knowledge.

Works for me.

Claude Lalumière
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2003 - 01:40 pm:   

Rachel:
Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.
BTW-- I finally read the antho yesterday and quite liked your story.

Rachel Heslin
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2003 - 01:44 pm:   

Thank you!

:-)

Michael Jasper
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 08:37 am:   

Hey -- three of the stories from INTRACITIES made it onto Andyhat's list of best stories from '03 -- http://www.andyhat.net/stories/stories2003.html.

"Flow of Time and Water" by Rachel Heslin
"Lost and Found of Years" by Claude Lalumiere
"Broken Branches" by Heather Shaw and Tim Pratt

Congrats, folks! Great stories!

Michael Jasper
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 05:24 am:   

Another brief mention of INTRACITIES, thanks to Richard Horton reader and reviewer extraordinaire! http://webnews.sff.net/read?cmd=read&group=sff.people.richard-horton&art=2361.

Thanks, Rich!

Michael Jasper
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 01:46 pm:   

Just wanted to folks to know that I nominated the following three stories for the new Fountain Award from the new Speculative Literature Foundation. Details about the award can be found here: http://www.speculativeliterature.org/Awards/SLFFountainAward.php

"Flow of Time and Water" by Rachel Heslin
"Vodka Through a Straw" by Peter Hagelslag
"City Limits" by Chris Babson

I had some AWESOME stories to choose from, but these three really met the requirements of the INTRACITIES guidelines (namely, tell a secret history about the city or town where you are currently living).

Michael Jasper
Posted on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 03:18 am:   

Hey, now this is nifty -- TANGENT ONLINE has reviewed us! Check it out.

It's a brief review, but it has some interesting things to say. I'm most pleased that he liked my buddy Mark's story "Heat," one of my many favorites (Mark passed away last fall).

Nice work, INTRACITIES authors!!!

Michael Jasper, who once played an editor on TV...
Posted on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 03:30 am:   

Oh, and Rich Horton's brief capsule review of INTRACITIES has been moved here, to the Speculative Literature Foundation site.

I'm going to try and collate all the comments and put 'em up at the INTRACITIES page. Gotta sell those last 30-40 copies... :-)

Claude Lalumière
Posted on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 05:06 am:   

It's great to finally get a formal review for the antho. I must say it's a fantastic egoboost in the morning -- and a great motivator to GET WRITING, DAMN IT! -- to see "The Lost and Found of Years" billed as "The strongest story in the anthology".

Mike Jasper
Posted on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 08:03 am:   

Hey, speaking of formal reviews, I just got an email stating that INTRACITIES will be reviewed in the Oct/Nov issue of Asimov’s Science Fiction. Now that's something cool to look forward to!

And there are still some copies left over, if you want to buy a copy and read the stories before the review hits!

Claude Lalumière
Posted on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 08:17 am:   

Mike:
That's great!
Do you know who's doing the Asimov's review?

Mike Jasper
Posted on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 08:39 am:   

I'm guessing Paul DiFillipo (that's who I sent it to, if I remember correctly). Which is very cool indeed!

Claude Lalumière
Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 08:04 am:   

Mike et al:
"The Lost and Found of Years" has just been acquired by Québec mag Solaris ( http://www.revue-solaris.com ) for translation into French.
I can't help but find it ironic that an English story by the lapsed Francophone that I am will be translated into French.
I'm told the translation will probably appear in mid-2005 or so.
This is the first of my stories to be translated.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 08:40 am:   

Clade -- that's VERY cool! Congrats! Keep it up, man.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 01:51 pm:   

Um, I meant "Claude." Damn, sorry, man.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 04:08 pm:   

This from the October/November Asimov's, in a review by Paul DiFilippo:

"A lively, handsome little theme anthology is to be found in the form of Intracities. Editor Michael Jasper here arrays a baker's dozen of tales focusing on the odd and uncanny niches to be found in such diverse cities as Phoenix, Montreal, Oakland, and London. With slipstreamy verve, the fourteen writers (there's one collaboration) present narratives about a spectral car mechanic (Mark Siegel's "Heat"); a reluctant Dalai Lama (Jason Erik Lundberg's "Enlightenment"); and a mythic railroadman (Jay Lake's "Iron Heaven"), among many other themes. And a striking wraparound collage by Frank Wu complements the whole package nicely."

Sweet. DiFilippo rocks.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration