September 2003 Writing Goals Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Jasper, Michael » September 2003 Writing Goals « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike Jasper
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 03:59 am:   

Once more into the fray, as another month unwinds in front of us. Here's what I hope to accomplish:

1. PRINT 150 copies of my small-press antho INTRACITIES.

2. Finish the collaborative story I've started with Jay Lake.

3. Complete my SF novel, THE WANNOSHAY CYCLE.

4. Revise the stage play I've been neglecting, THE LAST JACK, a collaboration with filmmaker Aaron Vanek.

5. Write a short-short for the super-cool 87 CABINETS project.

6. Revise my paranormal romance featuring Blackbeard, HEART'S REVENGE and send it out to agents/editors.

7. Outline my Young Adult SF novel, SCRAGS, so I can start drafting it on the first of October, the start of the Novel Dare!

What are YOUR writing plans for the month???

Jay Caselberg
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 07:46 am:   

Finish Metal Sky. Currently at 53k words and motoring.

Laura Annne
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 08:31 am:   

Revise the first rough draft of Staying Dead into the final rough draft. Come up with a coherent plot for the second book. Find a way to write in my sleep.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 11:02 am:   

Nice work, Jay and Laura Anne. I'm itching to get my various story projects done so I can focus on novels for a while.

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 12:13 pm:   

Complete two things that didn't quite make it in August: a music review, and an essay on Jonathan Carroll for ICFA. Also a new short story, "In Jurong". Plus general reading and studying for classes.

Mary
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 06:42 pm:   

Write the bulk of The Last Nightmare. Hopin' for another forty grand (I'll take that in Words, please, teller, sequential if you don't mind) by the end of the month. Also hopin' to write at least five thousand of those words without alcohol in my system to see how wordsmithy works when you're sober.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 06:59 am:   

Forget alcohol, Mary -- my drug of choice is caffeine and lots of Advil. Gives you that nice peppy numb feeling that goes so well with fiction writing...

Glad to have ya! Forty grand? No prob!

Tim Pratt
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 04:10 pm:   

1. Continue work on the Frog novel -- try to get another 30,000 words or so by the end of the month, and shoot to finish the rough draft in October or November.

2. Revise and send out my Rio Hondo story (should have done so ages ago, but it got shoved to the back-burner).

3. Read and review a couple of books for Locus.

4. Put together another issue of Star*Line.

5. Read submissions for Flytrap #2 and Star*Line.

6. Finalize layout of Flytrap #1 and send it off to the printer.

Looks like a pretty pleasant month, actually.

Rob Vagle
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 04:16 pm:   

My goal for September is to have the final draft of my novel done. Finally.

There will be a couple of short stories I may need to write as well. Writers Of The Future and Strange New Worlds both have deadlines at the end of the month. Then there's that Polyphony thing waiting quietly in the corner.

You got plenty on your desk, Mike!

Liz W
Posted on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 01:16 am:   

My aims are:

1. Recover from TorCon

2. Recover from TorCon

3. Engage with Milford

4. Recover from Milford

Seriously, I have to revise the first novel draft sharpish-like for the writing group, and start some short fic.

Andreas Black
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 05:49 am:   

Posting late as usual.

1. Light revisions to two shorts, then kick them out the door.

2. Finish the rewrite on TGoP. This is about 33% done, then kick it out the door.

3. Write a horror short called Nowhere, Arkansas. I've had it plotted out for months. Then run it past a few readers and kick it out the door.

4. Get all the concept work and plotting done for a horror/dark fantasy novel called Darkness in Exile, and have it ready so I can participate in Mike's October Novel Dare.

5. Update the website.

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 06:03 am:   

1. Finish reading submissions

2. Respond to submissions

3. Start weekly writing time with wife

4. Proofread page proofs of Ministry of Whimsy novel

5. Finish short story "Two Unrelated Tales"

6. Re-read novel beginning in prep for Oct novel dare to see what I was writing about

7. Update website [http://www.electricvelocipede.com]

8. If I have time, work on several novellas in progress; if the novel in October falls flat, these may have to step up to the plate then

Of these, I've actually completed 1 and 3 already, and 2 should be done tomorrow.

JK

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 06:04 am:   

Oh, and I'll more than likely have a cabint this month as I'm only about 4 or 5 people away at this time.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 11:44 am:   

Rockin' -- I'm always amazed at how much stuff everyone does in addition to their day jobs. Most impressive.

Looking forward to your cabinet, John!

I just finished a draft of my, so I can check off #5 from my list. Also, INTRACITIES should be going off to the copy shop any day now, so I'm checking off #1 as well. Just threw back the collab with Jay, and I'd say we're 'bout one third of the way through the story, if not half-way. It's a lot of fun, this collaborating stuff.

I even started work on #7, my YA SF novel called SCRAGS.

Life is good. Busy, but good.

Mike
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 11:45 am:   

And hey, Andreas -- glad you're joining us on the Novel Dare next month!

Nick Mamatas
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 12:52 pm:   

What the heck.

1. Finish a short story, "Humanitarian Intervention."

2. Start next novel, UNDER MY ROOF, a modern dress version of the Aristophanes play Acharnians. I'm meeting my agent on 9/23 and want to have two chapters and a synopsis done for her to work with.

3. Start and finish "Jitterbuggin'" a Lovecraftian Beat short story for the special limited edition of MOVE UNDER GROUND.

4. Do "Life Among The Obliterati" column for FLYTRAP #2.

5. Think up and send out some non-fiction queries.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 11:12 am:   

Okay, down to just 2 things left to do this month, if I can stay focused long enough -- finish the collab with Jay (we're at over 6,000 words so far, and we're drawing near to the end, maybe in 2-3,000 words) and revamp THE WANNOSHAY CYCLE. Two weeks left...

Mike
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 09:00 am:   

Last night I did some tweaking to the rough draft of the collab Jay Lake and I did, and threw it back to him. One more pass, maybe two, and that puppy is DONE!

Right now it's up to 9,400 words. It's a kick-ass story.

Still doing novel revisions. With cutbacks and people getting laid off at my Day Job, it's hard as hell to concentrate. But I will prevail -- this weekend is free for lots of writing.

Liz
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 09:31 am:   

Still awaiting comments from various beta readers on the first draft of the novel. Much helpful feedback has already been made.

O/wise, Milford looms upon the horizon (kicking off tomorrow) and a reading schedule of around 140,000 words to critique over 5 days. Should be do-able.

When I get back it will be revision time, and notes for next novel. So my part of the novel dare will be daily revisionary work, one suspects.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration