August -- What are your Writing Plans??? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Jasper, Michael » August -- What are your Writing Plans??? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike Jasper
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 06:20 am:   

All right, a new month is almost upon us. For some reason, I tend to set my personal writing deadline by the month, so here's what I want to get done in August 2003:

1. Layout and print 100-150 copies of my small-press antho INTRACITIES.

2. Write my story for the EXQUISITE CORPUSCLE project.

3. Finish revising the first 2/3 of my SF novel, THE WANNOSHAY CYCLE.

4. Write the new ending to my SF novel, THE WANNOSHAY CYCLE.

5. If time, write a collaborative story with Jay Lake.

6. Get ready to start writing my Young Adult SF novel, SCRAGS, by the first of September.

What are YOUR writing plans? Keep us posted here, on both your plans, and your progress.

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 08:37 am:   

Here's what I've got (am I crazy or what?):

1. Music review for a flower grows in stone by Kyler for Green Man Review

2. Music review for Show and Tell by Taylor Roberts for Green Man Review

3. "Skin Flute", a naughty short story for Mary Anne Mohanraj's forthcoming anthology Blowing Kisses

4. "Night Off", a brand spankin' new short-short for the chapbook being put together by me and my lovely fiancee Janet Chui (note: barring revisions, this is already done, ahead of schedule)

5. "Under London: The Byways of Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere", a non-fiction paper for Farah Mendlesohn at Foundation

6. "Waxing Mosaic: The Conceptualization of the Afterlife in Jonathan Carroll's White Apples", a non-fiction essay for proposal at ICFA-25

Jon Hansen
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 01:24 pm:   

My plans are modest, as always.

1. Finish my sequel to "Evening with the Minotaur," for the PATH OF THE BOLD antho (Aug 15 deadline). This includes coming up with a title.

2. Write a short story for MANY FACES OF VAN HELSING (Sept 15 deadline). Have general concept, vague plot, no title.

3. Write a short story for SAY...AREN'T YOU DEAD? (also Sept 15). No original concept/plot/title in mind, but I remain confident I can come up with something.

4. Write a short story for BLOWING KISSES (also Sept 15). Have general concept, vague plot, no title.

Hmm. Lot due on September 15th. Also:

5. Finish "Drinking the Tears," a short story with no deadline except to be flogged around until it finds a home.

6. Rewrite the collection development for the government documents collection of the KSU library. Oh, wait, that's Day Job (although it will likely be quite speculative).

Mike
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 06:43 am:   

I wonder what the deal is with Sept. 15 as a deadline?

Nice goals, Jason and Jon. Good to see I won't be alone in my busy-ness. Keep us posted.

Me, I've made some good progress on the anthology layout, after some fits and starts with software issues. Right now I'm doing it in MS Word 2002 (at work, which isn't playing nicely with my version of MS Word 97 at home) and Acrobat Distiller. I think I'm gonna be able to get it all together soon. I hope -- I'm antsy to get writing again!

Laura Anne
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 06:53 am:   

1. Finish a story that's due on September 1st (I just scrapped everything I'd written on it, so...)

2. Get the entire first rough draft of STAYING DEAD finished by (you guessed it) September 15th. Ain't going to happen (not with WorldCon and the day job in there) but it's a goal.

The deadline on SD isn't until 1 December, but the editor has already requested an early turn-in if possible. So feeling a little pressure...

Tim Pratt
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2003 - 12:25 am:   

Goals for August? Well, in no particular order:

1. Finish revisions on my novel, Rangergirl, and send it back to the agent, and hope for the best.

2. Revise my story "Dirae" and send it off somewhere.

3. Get the August issue of Star*Line put together (I did most of that today, actually).

4. Work on/finish the weird robot collab I'm doing with Greg van Eekhout.

5. Write a couple of reviews for the October issue of Locus.

6. Finish proofreading the galley for my upcoming collection.

7. Continue working on the Frog novel.

So, I'll be busy, but not too busy, and it's all fun stuff, except proofreading, and even that's not too onerous.

Mike
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2003 - 10:40 am:   

Those are some fine goals, folks. Me, I'm inching closer to finishing #1. For some reason, I don't feel like writing fiction until I've got the anthology work done. Go figure.

Oh, and Tim, I wish I had your proofreading dilemma. ;)

Jay Caselberg
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2003 - 11:36 am:   

Hmm, my goals are...

To write some stuff.

John Klima
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2003 - 11:44 am:   

August:

1. Finish proofreading issue #5 of Electric Velocipede.

2. Read submissions.

3. Send out author proofs (PDFs through the ether).

4. Make several hundred copies of Electric Velocipede #5.

5. Start weekly writing time with spouse.

6. Read submissions.

7. Work on several novellas that are a third to a half done (tentative titles "King David Rose Up" "TRAINS").

8. Finish up short story: "Two Unrelated Stories: (I've Talked Enough About Me, What Do You Think About Me?) X (Sign of the Times) + (The Bonus, Free, Third Story)".

9. Plot out novel AT THE ROAD'S EDGE for Sept/Oct novel dare.

10. Revise "My Kingdom for a Horse" and submit it to the world.

11. Read submissions

JK

Jay Caselberg
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2003 - 03:38 pm:   

Interesting, John. Are you a plotter, are you? This practice runs contrary to my nature. I was discussing writing styles with Laura Anne this afternoon and we both have very different approaches. Of course, I think my voice pales in comparison to hers, but that's a different story.

Me, I sit and play with stuff in my head for a long time, then I sit down and write it when I feel I'm ready. This usually means a short story comes out in one sitting, or close to it--ignoring later tweaks and adjustment of course. The novel process is pretty much the same. I think about stuff a lot and then sit down and write. A lot of it takes shape while I'm doing the writing. if I were to plot something, it would probably get thrown out the window in the course of the writing anyway.

When I'm thinking about it, snatches of dialogue, descriptive passages, things like that wander through my head and I plunder them wholesale while sitting there, but to plot something out, I would find that very difficult.

Laura Anne
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2003 - 05:08 pm:   

Jay said: "I was discussing writing styles with Laura Anne this afternoon and we both have very different approaches."

Similar in some ways, but different in methodology, I agree. I plot my thoughts out on paper, working my way to the ending, while Jay thinks it all the way through and then gets out the ink. I find that if I do that, I've already told the story, so the urge to put it all down fades.

"Of course, I think my voice pales in comparison to hers, but that's a different story."

*rude noise*

Mike
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2003 - 06:10 pm:   

This is interesting to me. I tend to write stories in all different ways, sometimes outlining the whole thing at least in my head, and then fleshing it out, other times just blasting through a draft. But I usually need to know how it's going to end by the time I'm halfway through, otherwise I get stuck.

With novels I have to have an outline, even if I don't necessarily stick to it. I guess I see it as painting -- you've got to have a sketch on the canvas before you can start filling in the paint.

Of course, that probably shows what little I know about art... ;)

Actually, I think writing a story in one or two sittings would be the best way -- sometimes if I let a story sit for longer than a week the idea has become stale...

Jay Caselberg
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 01:20 am:   

Mike, yeah, on the last, Lincoln City did a lot to change my habits. Seems to be working somehow.

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 05:56 am:   

That was a poor word choice on my part. What it means is read through what I've written already, get my mind back into the story, and get working on it again. I can't outline to save my life. I have stories that have been percolating in my head for over a decade now. Still haven't written anything more than notes so that I don't forget about them. It might not hurt me to have an outline for longer pieces, but I'm too lazy to get into it. This is why my lit crit pieces were always a mess in their first draft in college, too.

JK

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 06:03 am:   

Update:

Last night I finished #3 of my list above ("Skin Flute"), my naughty story for Blowing Kisses, which turned not to be a naughty story but a kinda creepy story with naughty bits in it. It went in a direction I wasn't expecting, but I like it better this way. And strangely enough, it came in right around 2500 words, which a bunch of my recent stories have done.

And #4 ("Night Off") is really done as well. I read it at Trinoc*con this past weekend for an audience of four people, and they seemed to enjoy it pretty much as it was.

So that's two things down, four to go. The reviews will be easy; the essays are going to kick my ass, but at least I'll have until the middle of October for one of them.

Scott William Carter
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 08:53 am:   

James,

We'll have to start calling it the "Lincoln City Effect," because I think it got to all of us. <g>

--Scott

Mike Jasper
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 11:29 am:   

Update --

Almost done with #1, getting the antho put together. It's taking up altogether too much time, but luckily I can do that all at the Day Job. ;)

Just have a couple more kinks in the process to iron over, and then it'll be ready to be printed. Since I'm a bit ahead of schedule, I think it's a good time to let it sit on the back-burner and write that story I want to write. Now.

Laura Anne
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 08:19 pm:   

Finished the rough draft of the short story tonight. It's not in pretty & polished form yet, but I know who does/did what to whom, why, and how it ends. At this point, that's enough to make me happy.

Andreas Black
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 05:14 am:   

Hmmm... Hope it's not too late to announce my plans for August. This is prolly a pretty big chunk for me to be taking on, but what the hell.

1. Finish my critique/content edit for Janrae Frank's novel God Box. *done*

2. Revise two short stories ("Down in the Park" and "The Killing Jar") based on some excellent crits I received.

3. Start a novel. My short "Darkness and Exile" was really tight at 5k words and there is so much more potential there. So many ideas I'd like to explore, so Iím going to try and expand it.

That's it, providing I don't pick up more crits.

Hey Jay, got a copy of Wyrmhole this weekend, looking forward to reading it.

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 05:51 am:   

Update:

Completed #3 and nearly finished with #1. That means that #4 will happen shortly. I've been able to fill up my ad space for the next issue, so that's cool.

Now I need to work on my own writing (after I finish Harry Potter #5).

JK

Jay Caselberg
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 08:30 am:   

Andreas, cool. Is that an Advanced Review copy?

Andreas Black
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 09:39 am:   

Yep, it's an ARC. I hope that's not a bad thing...

Jay Caselberg
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 01:35 pm:   

No, it's fine. Hope you enjoy.

Mike
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 08:31 am:   

Well, almost done with #1, putting together INTRACITIES. Just need one more photo and that will be ready to print. Whew. Being an editor AND a publisher is draining, and time-consuming...

Did a pile of work on #2, and may actually be more or less done already. Just need to let it sit a week or so and see if something else pops up that needs writing on it.

I'm starting to switch into novel-writing mode now, with the hopes of accomplishing #s 3 and 4 -- finishing up the SF Novel -- in the next 2 weeks, before our vacation to the NC mountains.

Tim Pratt
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 12:48 pm:   

Sorry, Mike! Heather and I are going to get over to the Children's Fairyland and take a picture for you ASAP, fear not. We know just the thing to snap, too...

Mike
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 01:24 pm:   

Hey -- thanks, Tim! You saved me from sending you an annoying email! :-)

Looking forward to the picture.

Jon Hansen
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 07:06 am:   

Finished a complete draft of #1. Holds together pretty well, but I am rethinking my original ending (which I wrote first, along with a beginning that already got chopped off and thrown away). Problem is, it may now seem tacked on. Ah, irony. Also, I still don't have a *%$^#!@ title. However, it's got to be postmarked by tomorrow, so I still have 30 hours to take care of that.

Movement on other goals: HA!

Mike Jasper
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 08:38 am:   

Finally finished that draft of my EXQ CORPUSCLE story! It's either one of the better stories I've written, or a piece of absolute trash. No real middle ground with this one.

Looking forward to diving back into the novel, and this weekend is looking good, as Elizabeth has lots of studying to do for her Boards on Thursday...

Jon Hansen
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 11:07 am:   

Mike, I don't think middle ground is really allowed these days. Whoo! Extreme Fiction Writing! Let's see ESPN3 put that on some night.

Actually fixed my ending, came up with a title, and got it in the mail today. Phew.

Laura Anne
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 05:22 pm:   

Story is polished and titled (thanks, JayC) and in the hands of the editor (after a e-remailing further complicated by the Great Blackout of 2003). Anxiously awaiting the decision.

And I approach the 70,000 word mark on the novel, with the last two chapters roughed out but still to write. Still under contracted word-length, but I suspect I will find plenty of places where more is needed in the draft read-through...

Mike Jasper
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 07:56 am:   

Hey, great to see the progress, Jon and Laura Anne! Keep it up!

I did the Hermit Thing most of the weekend and revised the hell out of the opening to my Wannoshay novel, and as I said over in my journal, I actually LIKE the novel again! Always a good thing.

And INTRACITIES is all ready to be printed! Rockin'. :-)

John Klima
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 08:57 am:   

Made several hundred copies of EV #5. It's 56 pages! What was I thinking!?!

JK

Liz Williams
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 09:21 am:   

Up to 85,000 words on the novel and polishing. Another 15K to do, which I hope to draft before TorCon (however, there are men in my kitchen with sledgehammers for the next few days, so we'll see...)

Laura Anne
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 09:58 am:   

Liz -- if you get your 15,000 done, I'll buy you a drink at TorCon. Okay, I'll buy you a drink anyway, but consider it incentive.

I just spent half an hour on the phone with my agent, going over contracts. Scary and sobering thing. It means I really do have to finish this thing and hand it in...

*diving back into manuscript*

Liz Williams
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 03:21 pm:   

Ooh! Drink! You're on!

And I promise not to lie.

And it will be mutual. Good luck with contracts. I feel your pain...

Liz Williams
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 03:28 pm:   

Actually, you know what's really sad? (she said, responding to her own post, always a bad sign...). I'm bribing myself with season 7 episodes of Buffy, one ep every 1000 words. Well, you gotta have some incentive...

Jon Hansen
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 06:36 pm:   

Liz, there's a cartoon hanging in my office of a writer sitting at his computer. Beside him is his wife. Writer sez, "I wrote another 500 words. Can I have another cookie?" Whatever works.

As for me, it's just been brought to my attention that my goal #3 has a fatal flaw: date to get the submission in by is September 1st, not the 15th! Ack! Boy, those two weeks just flew by!

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 09:01 am:   

All right, I finished #1 (music review for a flower grows in stone by Kyler for Green Man Review) last weekend. I think I'm abandoning #5 ("Under London: The Byways of Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere", a non-fiction paper for Farah Mendlesohn at Foundation); I just can't think up a topic worth 4000 words of rambling that I can finish in twelve days. I still plan on writing #6 ("Waxing Mosaic: The Conceptualization of the Afterlife in Jonathan Carroll's White Apples", a non-fiction essay for proposal at ICFA-25) since I have until October 15 to get it finished.

Mike
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 07:03 am:   

I'm currently bashing the hell out of the revisions to the WANNOSHAY novel, getting up at the crack of ass, as we call it down heah in the South, and the first 125 pages are pretty solid now. Since I'm reworking the ending after tossing most of the old ending, I've gotten LOTS of good notes and ideas for how the new ending is going to take shape. Exciting stuff!

Everything else is back-burnered until this novel is complete. The goal is the end of September at the LATEST. Please hold me to this!

Liz Williams
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 07:40 am:   

We'll try and keep you honest, Mike. And good on you!

(I am now up to 90K and about 510 pp. Being trapped in my study by a fridge has proved very helpful for the past 4 hours).

Mike
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 09:12 am:   

Thanks, Liz! I hope the fridge is keeping you cool over there in the tropic London heat! (um, you ARE in London, aren't you?). Good for you on your writing!

Laura Anne
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 11:12 am:   

Approaching the 80,000 mark on the novel. Wondering where I'm going to find that last 20,000. Deciding not to worry about it until after my betas are done with me.

And in the meanwhile, I need to find me an electrical engineer and bribe them with home-made baked good until they tell me All.

Anyone here an electrical engineer with a letch for cookies and/or bananna bread?

Liz Williams
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 05:14 pm:   

Mike - no, I am not far from the Smoke, but about as far south as one can get without actually being French. The Channel is visible from this desk if one hangs out of the window at a perilous angle. Fridge is due to new kitchen, now installed (yes!).

Evil American Wench
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 06:00 pm:   

*note to self: go visit Liz next chance you get. Plot to terrorize the French. Take a case or three of Burgundy hostage while there.*

Liz Williams
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 12:49 am:   

Terrorizing the French? Why, it is the national pastime! Suggest also cheese kidnapping.

Evil American Wench
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 03:42 am:   

Would cheese kid-napping mean only goat cheese?

(I don't make these puns, folk, I just point 'em out...)

Liz Williams
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 03:58 am:   

A moment, while I run screaming in horror from the house. OK. Back now.

Esther, is that you by any chance? Or just a cunning impersonator?

Mike
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 10:18 am:   

You've got to be kidding me.

Evil American Wench
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 10:52 am:   

*blink. blink blink. innocent smile*

Liz Williams
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 11:33 am:   

See, this kinda thing really gets my goat.

Any more of it and I'm leaving this board altogether and going on the lamb...

EAW
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 11:45 am:   

You're right, that should have been a sheepish grin. I've been carded enough times to know I'm not innocent-looking.

But no fair making Esther the scapegoat for my sins.

Liz Williams
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 12:59 pm:   

OK, I wool try to remember that...Didn't mean to embarrass ewe...

Jay Caselberg
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 01:14 pm:   

Eeyore? What are you doing here?

Mike
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 04:33 pm:   

I didn't even know there WERE any wenches left in America...

Jay Caselberg
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 04:50 pm:   

Dear Mr. Jasper, I can inform you that there are indeed many wenches in America. Maybe just not in NC.

Liz Williams
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 12:30 am:   

My editor had hopes of being a wench in LOTR, but it didn't happen.

I'm sorry, it's the recent exposure to several eps of Buffy's season 7, but I can't now help conjuring up pictures of load-bearing bar matrons hotly pursued by trolls...

Mike Jasper
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 02:08 am:   

Gosh, if you can't be a wench in America or LotR, what's the world coming to?

Liz Williams
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 02:19 am:   

*This service announcement is brought to you by Wench.com, official site of the Western Wenches Web*

- Do YOU possess a corset?

- Do YOU like to hang out in drinking establishments of a lively nature?

- Can YOU hold your liquor, your tongue and your breath and carry a tray full of quarts of ale at the same time?

- Are YOU always ready with a wink and a merry quip? (Tm)

Then the WWW is for YOU! Join now (pension plan not obligatory; insurance non-existent).

We now return you to your regular board.

Mike
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 03:39 am:   

Maybe it should be wench.org, so you can get non-profit status!

Wenches of the world, unite and take over!

Laura Anne
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 05:09 am:   

Mike,

What makes you think we haven't already?

(oh, oops. Shhhh......)

Liz Williams
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 05:57 am:   

La, la, la. Did someone say something?

Never mind. I doubt he's noticed. He's clearly such an innocent that he thinks wenches would be interested in *anything* non-profit...

Mike
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 06:30 am:   

I am CLEARLY out of my league here. ;)

Liz Williams
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 07:07 am:   

Hey, we give good wench around these parts, what can I say??

Liz Williams
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 07:10 am:   

Back on track, to remind me of what I should be doing when I'm not wenching around - up to about 92K today. That means 8 more to do, which I may manage before heading off for Toronto on Wed, but due to domestic disruption and social commitment, I may not make it. Still, this thread is keeping me honest at the moment, so...

John Klima
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 07:49 am:   

An honest wench, eh? We'll see if that holds true when you cross Canadian borders.

JK

Mike
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 08:25 am:   

Oh yeah, writing...

Just polished off the opening 1/3 of my SF novel, feeling pretty good about it now (as opposed to that general sense of dread whenever it arose in my mind). I'm taking my time and getting everything in place so the final re-draft of the last 50-60 pages of the novel aren't quite so painful.

I could use a serving wench about now to pour me a frosty draught...

Oh wait, it's not noon yet. Curses!

Liz Williams
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 08:50 am:   

>Oh wait, it's not noon yet. Curses!

I refer you to Pat Cadigan's board and the Diva's words of wisdom...

Laura Anne
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 07:11 pm:   

Writing interrupted by a file crisis (bastards wiped every file from 8/20 when they .. no, it's too painful to retell) and a birthday dinner for friends. But I managed to get 1/3 of a new, rush-rush proposal that's due ASAFP done, so I'm feeling pretty good, all things considered.

Tomorrow will be soon enough to deal with the work I've *sigh* lost. Thank god for hardcopy and rabid note-taking...

Tim Pratt
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 10:11 pm:   

Update:

I finished revisions on my novel, Rangergirl, and sent it off to the agent, who will read it and let me know what she thinks sometime in the next couple of weeks.

I put the August issue of Star*Line together, and caught up on most of my slush reading.

I wrote 3, count 'em, 3 reviews for the October issue of Locus. Though one or two might get held until November, because we're short on space this month.

I finished proofreading the galleys for my collection.

So I still have to revise "Dirae", work on the robot collab, and get back into my new novel. Should be doable, especially since my fiancee is off at a writing workshop this weekend, and I don't have much to do besides writing to entertain myself.

Liz Williams
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 01:18 am:   

Birthday stuff for other people will also disrupt me today, but I'm hoping to get something done before setting out. O/wise, it's been all novel, all the time, and I'm up to 94K. Only 6 to go.

Liz Williams
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 08:20 am:   

Mike - finished the fucker. Comes in at 98,500 with a couple of earlier scenes (at least) needed and a massive amount of revising and tarting up. But the first draft is more or less there.

And now - Buffy, season 7.

Followed by the latest Vogue.

And then more Buffy.

I never defer gratification....

Andreas Black
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 09:43 am:   

Thus far, it's been a very productive weekend for me.

Finished entering the crits for #1 into the computer (up until now they were on printouts) and e-mailed them off.

Revised one short story, so that's half of #2 finished.

Started the novel last week, so that's #3. It's only at 3k words but i'm also doing a lot of idea collection before I really get into it.

Are we ready to start the 'Writing plans for September' thread yet?

Mike
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 11:35 am:   

Yahoo Liz! And nice work, Andreas!!!

I'll start up the September thread soon, probably Monday, depending on how much I get done between now and then... :-)

Andreas Black
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 03:37 pm:   

Thanks, Mike!

Finished revising the other short, so that's all of #2 finished -- and in the nick of time!

Hmmm... time to come up with some more stories. I only have a short rewrite and the novel on the desk right now...

Mike Jasper
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 03:50 am:   

Okay, so I'm 2 days late, and a couple dollars short, but...

As far as my goal --

1. Layout and print 100-150 copies of my small-press antho INTRACITIES. -- Did the layout, haven't printed 'em yet (my printer is DOA, and I'm hoping to get a laser printer at last this week)

2. Write my story for the EXQUISITE CORPUSCLE project. -- DONE!

3. Finish revising the first 2/3 of my SF novel, THE WANNOSHAY CYCLE. -- Got through the first 1/3, working on the middle section as soon as I finish a couple tweaks to the first chapter.

4. Write the new ending to my SF novel, THE WANNOSHAY CYCLE. -- Nope. Not yet.

5. If time, write a collaborative story with Jay Lake. -- We've got 5 pages written, and it's in my court now.

6. Get ready to start writing my Young Adult SF novel, SCRAGS, by the first of September. -- Hey, I've THOUGHT about this novel, now and then. A little.

Laura Anne
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 04:38 am:   

1. Finished the story -- and sold it. :-)

2. Got the entire first very rough draft of STAYING DEAD finished. Mostly. Good enough for horseshoes and hand grenades.

Not even going to think about September goals until I heal from WorldCon.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 11:03 am:   

Hey Laura Anne -- was this year's WorldCon smaller as far as crowds and attendees? Just curious. I hate that I missed it.

Laura Anne
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 11:09 am:   

Around 4200, last sum I heard. Smaller than it should have been in a major North American city with reasonable travel routes, but not so surprising considering the economy. Small art show and dealers' room because of (I'm told) border crossing paperwork.

They're already calling it Nolacon North, if you have any questions about the concon's organizational skills...

advance loan
Posted on Sunday, November 14, 2004 - 05:01 pm:   

Thank you, I just wanted to give a greeting and tell you I like your blog very much.

<p>advance loan</p>

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration