Prador Moon Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Asher, Neal » Prador Moon « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Neal Asher
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 04:25 am:   

The cover of said book is now up on my site http://freespace.virgin.net/n.asher under 'books' and you can see it here of course: http://www.nightshadebooks.com/book.aspx?bookid=133

Roger Fourt
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 10:16 am:   

Hi Neal and anyone else out there….

I’m stuck into Prador Moon at the moment – a nice change from the Chuck Palahniuk books I’ve been reading recently, which leave me walking around in a shocked daze for a few days afterwards.

Some questions and comments about Prador Moon:

Damn those Prador – truly one of the most hideous alien races ever invented. Nice to see them back in force after the relatively minor encounters in previous books.

They (strangely) remind me of “MorningLightMountain” and his friends in Peter F Hamilton’s “Pandora’s Star” and “Judas Unchained” books. Anyone else notice the similarities?

Is this book a prequel to another pre-Spatterjay-timeline novel or a one-off? Clues gratefully received!

A distinct lack of war droids so far – just the one in fact. Yet Sniper seemed to have been around since the Prador wars…or am I wrong?

What news of other forthcoming publications?

Finally, mention of those Chuck Palahniuk novels I’ve been reading for the last few months. Well worth checking out. Very intense, very bizarre. Anyone else dipped into his warped and twisted view of the world?

Neal Asher
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 12:41 pm:   

Hello Roger.

Can't really comment on similarities to the two PFH novels mentioned because I wandered off the rails at about the point of Fallen Dragon and haven't read the two you mention.

Prador Moon fits neatly into the timeline already created. This is the war we see the (late) aftermath of in The Skinner. Just the one drone/droid there since I focused on the human characters.

Polity Agent is out in September along with the mass market of The Voyage of the Sable Keech. I'm now getting opinions about Hilldiggers from readers and really need to get to work on the next for the guys here at Night Shade. Some short stories first, however.

Roger Fourt
Posted on Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 02:30 am:   

Love the look of "Polity Agent". No mention of Cormac in the synopsis on your site but I imagine he’ll be involved, opening up barrels of whoop-ass where required.

Hopefully we’ll find out more about Horace Blegg as well….hint hint….

Neal Asher
Posted on Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 08:44 am:   

You will, but you might not like it...

Paul Kingtiger
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 02:28 pm:   

Hello,

Just finished Prador Moon in an epic single sitting (traveling from Germany to the UK)

Amazing book! All the sci-fi Iive read before has been quite brow stuff, but this was a full on action book, but with realistic and well thought out science.

What book would people recommend for more of the space battles?

Also a question for Neal. Will we see the characters in Prador Mood again? I would like to hear more of the Occam's Razor and the two Prador war drones (there are hints that something big happens to them when they get back to the second Kingdom)

Neal Asher
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 01:45 am:   

Paul, I'm presuming you haven't read my other books? You have the Cormac sequence: Gridlinked, The Line of Polity (in which the Occam Razor first appears though the story is set later), Brass Man and Polity Agent (out next month). Then there's The Skinner and The Voyage of the Sable Keech, then the standalone time-travel one called Cowl. Cosmos books also publish The Engineer ReConditioned & Africa Zero. The former a collection of short stories and a novella - mostly set in the Polity, the latter containing two tales about a Terminator-like character called the Collector. All these books and stories are similarly 'full on action', sometimes weird and not particularly high-brow (or as I like to call it: disappearing up their own arses).

Details here: http://freespace.virgin.net/n.asher

Blog here: http://theskinner.blogspot.com/

Paul Kingtiger
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 05:56 am:   

Hi Neil, Prador Moon was my first of your books, and more or less the first Sci-Fi book I've read and enjoyed. I don't read a huge amount of fiction and most of that is historical fiction. It was purely by accident that I read Prador Moon, as a friend had it spare while we were traveling.

Half way through Gridlinked now with Line of Polity to follow. I would have read it next but I was traveling and it was a bit big to fit in my hand luggage. I found Gridlinked a bit slow at the start , although I'm half way through and it's picked up very nicely.

Looking forward to more :-)

Neal Asher
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 01:48 am:   

Good news on the selling front. Via Jeremy Lassen’s blog (I think) I’ve learnt that Prador Moon is in the trade paperback top five at Borderlands Books and that this is not the first time it had been there. Checking there myself I see that the month before last that Brass Man was also in the top ten paperbacks. Shiny.

Elric of Melnibone
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 01:58 am:   

Hello, I'm currently reading Prador Moon as I work my way through your books in order. Really enjoying it all!

However something occurred to me tonight that I was wondering if you would comment on sometime: What about using lightspeed-delay effects in your space battles to make them more "hard" science fictioney?

An example might be the Risen Empire and its sequel book by Scott Westerfeld that I read a year ago. In these you can't just aim straight at something you see 2 light minutes away in a solar system and expect to hit it. This leads to some interesting weapon types and tactics, but I do understand if it might be something you considered and figured was more trouble than it's worth.

Neal Asher
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 11:56 am:   

I think it's probably implicit that you're shooting ahead of your target when its traveling fast, just as you do when you're shooting a pheasant. All of the battles in my books are conducted when the ships are traveling at below light-speed and yes, you're right, I considered it for just sublight speeds but didn't venture into it too deeply. However, I do include some effects e.g. seeing a distant war that you know could have ended a year ago because the light is only just reaching you, or seeing the distant launch of missiles and having to judge where to duck in and out of U-space to avoid them.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register