HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Blatant Publicity

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Asher, Neal » Blatant Publicity « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Neal
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 11:09 am:   

Just thought I'd show my face (?) and these:
http://freespace.virgin.net/n.asher
http://underworld.uk.com/nealasher

Night Shade Books
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 11:53 am:   

Hi Neal!

When's Line of Polity due out? I'm very much looking forward to it, after having read Skinner and Gridlinked.

What's the word on US publications? I seem to remember seeing that you'd been picked up by Tor, but maybe I'm confusing that with your being published by Tor UK?

Jason

Neal
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 12:54 am:   

Thanks, Jason. It's all a bit confusing really. Macmillan is the sister company of Tor in America (both owned by some huge German consortium or something). Macmillan has never really had its own SF&F imprint. Now it is launching one called Tor (because the name is a top one in SF&F publishing). The two Tors won't necessarily publish the same books. In my case they are. The Line of Polity is being released by Tor UK (along with the mass-market Skinner) on the 21st of this month. Gridlinked, in hardback with a superb dust jacket, is being published by Tor America next August, and presumably The Skinner will be published the following year. Line hasn't yet been taken by them. Fingers crossed!

JeffV
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 02:28 pm:   

Hi, Neal. I've been hearing great things about your novels from Hartwell and others. I am very much looking forward to reading them. I love Iain Banks' SF and I've heard tell that you have the same level of invention and depth. I think it's so hard to write good SF.

JeffV

Keith Brooke
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 08:50 am:   

Hi, Neal.

See you at the Tor launch later this month?

Neal
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 11:35 am:   

Thanks, Jeff. (Gulp) I guess you write the kind of fiction you like to read, and have always loved big operatic SF. Just so long as people take my fiction as intended: Schwartzenegger mayhem from page one!

Keith, you certainly will see me -- just look under the tables. No, really, I'm going to behave myself.

Jay C
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 05:01 am:   

Ha-ha! You can run, but you can't hide, Neal.

Shall we talk about films? No, we've done that.

liz williams
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 09:36 am:   

OK, Neal, I'll look under the table....

Barring incident, will catch up with you on Wed.

cheers

Liz

Neal
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 12:32 am:   

Damn, even in this wig? It wasn't films, as I recollect, but specifically the acting merits of certain starlets (hur hur).

Hello Liz!
Loved The Man from the Ministry. I thought the feet of the man on the drawing a bit strange until I actually read the story, only then did I realise they were exactly right.
See you Wednesday.

Tim
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 03:13 pm:   

Hi Neal

From one fledgling Tanjen author to another ... congrats on all your success. Very well deserved!

Tim

Sandy
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 10:55 am:   

Back with the Blatant Publicity... another Line of Polity review...

http://www.thealienonline.net/ao_030.asp?tid=2&scid=14&iid=1445

:-)

Keith Brooke
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 04:34 am:   

Missed you at the Tor launch... Of course, not knowing what you look like was a bit of a handicap. Next time!

Good party, though.

Neal
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 06:47 am:   

There's a picture of me on my website (first message here) and I've just checked out yours, so yes - next time. Great party, and excellent venue. I wonder how many gallons were drunk?

Keith Brooke
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 04:30 am:   

There's a picture of you at infinity plus, which I must have edited and put there!

Neal
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 09:00 am:   

Ah, but the new lifestyle has probably changed me quite a bit: more grey hair, extra chins, a hunted look...

Sandy Auden
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 01:37 am:   

Neal,

You looked fine, barring the burring round the edges, but that could have been my problem :-)

Nice to see you again (both you and Keith actually).

Next time we're all in the same room again (the gollancz do next month maybe?) I'll do my best to link you up - I'm lucky enough to know both of you by sight.

Jay C
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 01:44 am:   

Hmm, the Gollancz do is in Norf Lundon this time though.

Sandy
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2003 - 02:12 am:   

How far Norf Jay?

Jay C
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2003 - 10:36 pm:   

Hrmm, "NW" something. That's Norf for me. Oh wait...there's more than one G-do next month methinks.

Andrew Breitenbach
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 08:56 am:   

Dear Neal,

Is there any chance that THE ENGINEER will be republished (or the tales within it reprinted in another book), or are there copies still available somewhere?

(As soon as I read "Snow in the Desert" in "Spectrum", I knew I had to get my hands on the rest! BTW, congrats on having that story reprinted in the upcoming Hartwell YEAR'S BEST SF!)

Thanks!

Best wishes,

-Andrew J. Breitenbach

Neal
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 09:08 am:   

Certainly, if I have my way, The Engineer stories will be republished in some form. Don't know where you can get hold of a copy now. Just be luck I guess. Last I saw was in a Borders book shop. Last I heard of someone buying one was a used one from a library!

Sandy
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 01:58 pm:   

Andrew - I picked up a copy of the Engineer a couple of years ago from Andromeda Books in Birmingham (when Roger was there) but I've checked their website and they seem to have sold out now. Their website is andromedabook.co.uk - you could always ask if they can track you down a copy. They're reliable chaps and will do their best for you.

Jay - the NW1 Gollancz do is the launch of the new James Lovegrove novel I think.

Neal
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2003 - 04:54 am:   

I tell a lie: the last I heard of someone getting hold of a copy of The Engineer was of a guy in America buying a secondhand one for about 13. Sigh.

Jay C
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2003 - 11:40 am:   

Sandy, yeah, that's the one. Must remember to reply to Nicola.

Rhys
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 05:17 am:   

Neal!

Pictures: go into 'formatting', then 'other formatting', then 'images' and code it up from there! I think that the picture has to be already in your computer (as opposed to bringing it in from another website).

Rhys
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 05:51 am:   

Lus Rodrigues
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 07:49 am:   

That's a great movie, Mr Ultramarine.

Neal
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 01:14 am:   

Thanks Rhys. I sussed it on the Tor forum and now here: peter.jpg

SAMANTHA ASHER
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 09:48 am:   

HELLO!
IT GIVES ME ENDLESS PLEASURE TO READ YOUR BOOKS, THEY ARE FANTASTIC!
I'D ALSO LIKE TO SAY THANKYOU FOR DEDICATING YOUR BOOK 'LINE OF POLITY' TO ME AND THEM OTHERS! I FEEL HONURED TO BE MENTIONED IN ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS OF ALL TIMES AND I KNOW YOUR WRITING WILL CARRY ON FOR MANY, MANY MORE YEARS.
GOOD LUCK AND WISH YOU ALL THE SUCCESS IN THE WORLD FOR THE FUTURE YOU DESERVE IT UNC! XXX

Neal
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 04:31 am:   

Good try, Samantha, but what with my having to crowbar open my wallet to buy a digital camera, then spend another five times the amount on upgrading my computer to deal with it, your Gucci dress is receding into the distance.

Neal Asher
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2003 - 06:01 am:   

'ONE OF THE BEST WRITERS OF ADVENTURE SF presently working anywhere, Neal Asher also creates the most horrific and wonderful monsters in the genre since the publication of Harry Harrison's Deathworld. His novel The Skinner uses a wonderful device, in the heading to each chapter, of an ever-more-dreadful monster discovering that it is not the top of the food chain. Each of his Human Polity novels has more dash and brio than a handful of finely-crafted literary fictions, and their characters fizz off the page. The Line of Polity is Neal's most recent novel, published this Spring.'
-- John Jarrold writing in SFX (10 authors to watch)

Neal Asher
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 04:43 am:   

The knight errant Anderson is hunting a dragon on the primitive Out-Polity world of Cull, little knowing that far away a man has resurrected a brass killing machine to assist in a similar hunt that encompasses star systems. When agent Cormac learns that an old enemy still lives, he sets out in pursuit aboard the attack ship Jack Ketch whilst scientist Mika begins discovering the horrifying truth about that ancient technology ostensibly produced by the alien Jain, who died out five million years ago.

On a planet roamed by ferocious insectile monsters the people of Cull must struggle to survive, while they build the industrial base to reach their forefathers starship still orbiting far above them. An entity calling itself Dragon assists them, but its motives are questionable having created genetic by-blows of humans and the hideous local monsters, before growing bored with that game. And now Cull, for millennia geologically inactive, suffers earthquakes

Meanwhile a brass killing machine seeks to escape a bloody past it can neither forget nor truly remember. So mindlessly will continue its search for sanity, which it might find in an instant or not for a thousand years.

Neal Asher
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 04:44 am:   

The reification Sable Keech, a walking dead man, is the only one to have been resurrected by nanochanger. Did he succeed because he was infected by the Spatterjay virus, or because he came late to resurrection in a tank of seawater? Tracing the mans journey in a ship also named after him, Taylor Bloc wants to know. He also wants so much else adulation, power, control and will go to any lengths to get it. And he has brought the means.

An ancient hive mind, almost incomprehensible to the human race, has sent an agent to the world. Does it want to obtain the poison sprine effective against those made virtually indestructible by the Spatterjay virus? Janer must find it and stop it.

Erlin, still faced with the ennui of immortality, has her solitude rudely interrupted by a very angry whelkus titanicus, and begins the strangest of journeys. Captain Ambels own journey, from Olians where the currency of death his kept in a vault is equally as strange. But he must reap the harvest of Erlins mistake, and survive.

Deep in the ocean the virus has wrought a terrible change that will affect them all. Something dormant for ten years is breaking free, and once again the aftershocks of an ancient war will focus on this watery world. And Sniper, for ten years the Warden of Spatterjay, finally takes delivery of his new drone shell. Its much better than his old one: powerful engines, more lethal weapons, thicker armour.
Hes going to need it.

Night Shade Books
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 04:48 am:   

Sniper's back? I love it! One of my favorite characters from The Skinner.

Neal
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 08:53 am:   

By popular request. As is a character in Brass Man.

nealasher
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 01:21 am:   

Someone from http://www.dragonpage.com/ will be conducting an audio interview with me this coming Saturday which will, at a later date, be available for download and can be heard on XM or the syndicated stations in America.

Neal Asher
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 12:06 pm:   

I nicked this from elsewhere:

Heffers 2nd Science Fiction & Fantasy Evening will be on Thursday 2nd November from 6.30pm. Tickets are 2.00 each, this is redeemable against a purchase made on the night. Under 15s go free, but still require an entry ticket.

For further information or to purchase tickets, please contact Heffers Bookshop, The Grafton Centre, Cambridge or telephone 01223 568573 or email sarah.whyley@heffers.co.uk.
We have a fantastic line-up again this year and the evening will be free from speeches and readings, just a chance to meet some fantastic authors, get books signed and mingle.

The line-up is as follows:

Mark Chadbourn, Chaz Brenchley, Stan Nicholls, James Barclay, Jon Courtenay Grimwood, Neal Asher, Justina Robson, Jon George, Mike Carey, Steve Cockayne, Juliet E McKenna, Jessica Rydill, Amanda Hemingway, Paul Kearney, Mark Robson, Sam Enthoven, Ian Whates, Simon Satori Hendley, S F Said, Matthew Skelton, Eoin McNamee, Erin Hunter, Angie Sage, Philip Reeve and Peter F Hamilton.

Roger Fourt
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 08:35 am:   

Great! I've always wanted to meet Peter F Hamilton.

Neal Asher
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 07:25 am:   

Well, Im not entirely sure how this sounds that is, I dont want to listen to it myself because I know I was talking too fast, Id had a beer or two, and listening to myself always makes me cringe, but heres the Dragon Page interview: http://www.dragonpage.com/2007/02/05/cover-to-cover-249/

Neal Asher
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 06:38 am:   

Ah, might as well utilize this thread:

Well, being the publicity tart that I am, I've now started doing a few bits with a Myspace account I got about two years ago. The profile URL is: http://www.myspace.com/nealasher and the blog Url is: http://blog.myspace.com/nealasher I'm not entirely sure where I'm going to go with this that'll make it any different from what I've already got (I've already copied blog posts across). Anyway, it gives me another excuse not to get on with writing...

Hey, come and be my friend - I'll look a bit sad if there's only one or two listed.

Neal Asher
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 01:20 am:   

Forbidden Planet in Shaftsbury Avenue London has numerous signed copies of my books, and now Waterstones in Lakeside Thurrock has plenty too. In the latter you'll find signed copies of Hilldiggers along with signed paperback copies of all my others from Macmillan. Many thanks to the staff of both shops for putting up with me!

Neal Asher
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 01:28 am:   

Okay, on the 18th August I’ll be on the DaveO Prog Rock Show which runs from 10pm till midnight. Probably I’ll be talking a lot of nonsense about my books, SF and life the universe and everything in general, and listening to the likes of Pink Floyd. Here's the blurb and links to the show:

Welcome to the DaveO Prog Rock Show's world of progressive rock, broadcasting out from Phoenix 98FM!! If you like progressive rock, both new and old, then this show is for you.

The website for Phoenix 98FM is: www.phoenixfm.com

Want to listen to the show, but don't live near enough to pick it up on the radio? No problem, here's the URL:
http://dream.wavestreamer.com:2963/listen.pls
Copy and paste this into your favourite listening software. I use iTunes and it works without fault.
Why don't you visit my presenters page on the station's website? Each week I post a write up on the last show. The address is: http://www.phoenixfm.com/progshow.php.

Neal_asher
Username: Neal_asher

Post Number: 45
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 04:40 am:   

Forbidden Planet Signing.

Neal Asher

Line War

RRP: 17.99
Our Price: 14.99
Saturday 5th April, 1-2pm
London Megastore,
179 Shaftesbury Avenue, London WC2H 8JR

Line War is the fifth novel in his increasingly popular Agent Cormac series. The Polity is under attack from a 'melded' AI entity with control of the lethal Jain technology, yet the invasion seems to have no coherence. Further seemingly indiscriminate slaughter ensue and Ian Cormac is sent to investigate but he's struggling to control a new ability no human should possess. What's happening could bring about the end of the Polity itself.

All Orders must be placed before 12pm on Friday 4th April

To pre-order your signed copy please view his range of Signed Books

Neal_asher

Post Number: 53
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 07:01 am:   

Subterfuge: A clever device or strategy used to evade a rule, escape a consequence, or to hide something...

Ian Whates just visited me today to get me to sign the remainder of a signed special edition of Subterfuge, in which youll find a Polity story of mine called The Rhines World Incident. On Amazon we have:

A Signed and Numbered Limited edition of just 150. Each copy is signed by all contributors (barring Neal Asher). This special edition contains three additional stories to the other two standard editions (By Ian Watson, Storm Constantine and Ian Whates).

The barring Neal Asher has now changed for about the remaining 90 copies.

Authors also included in this are Tanith Lee, John Meaney, Storm Constantine, Dave Hutchinson, Steve Longworth, Nick Ravensworth, Sarah Singleton, Neil Williamson, Nick Wood, Una McCormack, Juliet McKenna, Tony Ballantyne, Pat Cadigan, Gary Couzens, and Ian Whates (Editor).

Neal_asher

Post Number: 54
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 02:28 am:   

Sci-Fi-London Interview
Well, there's a video interview with me up on the Sci-Fi-London site now, which will later be added to the list of interview on their .tv site. I haven't yet watched it myself but Caroline tells me it's OK - not too many ums and ers.

SCI-FI-LONDON was lucky enough to meet Neal Asher at his Essex home to talk about his latest book, The Gabble & Other Stories, about writing and about 15 years of the Polity universe, David Fincher, Heavy Metal and the internet as a distraction from real work.

Now, I really really must get out of Christmas mode and do some of that real work.

http://www.sci-fi-london.com/news/article/1230493648/6/neal-asher-interview-vide o

Neal_asher

Post Number: 57
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 02:39 am:   

Website somewhat reworked:
http://freespace.virgin.net/n.asher

Neal_asher

Post Number: 58
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 06:27 am:   

Main post at: http://theskinner.blogspot.com/2009/03/calling-all-artists.html

Im noticing that scattering amidst the followers of this blog theres quite a few artists so, bearing that in mind, do any of you guys or any others drifting through here fancy having a go at doing some pictures? Specifically Im looking for scenes, characters, drones, monsters or anything else you can think of from my fiction. Ive yet to see, for example, a depiction of a gabbleduck that matches up to what I see in my head. Here you can see two attempts at that, one the cover of The Gabble and the other from the front page of the Asimovs that first published Alien Archaeology. Perhaps youd like to do something from The Skinner, maybe a heirodont, ocean or land, maybe a glister or one of the varieties of whelks like the frog whelks here. Plenty of other things that can be attempted, maybe a sand hog from Brass Man with Anderson mounted up, or Mr Crane himself. Theres the spaceships too, like the Ogygian, the Jerusalem or the Cable Hogue. I leave that decision entirely up to you

The pictures that turn up I'll display here with any links the artist wants and the three pictures (by separate artists) I judge best will each receive a free copy of Orbus when it comes out next September. If anyone comes up with that picture I'm seeking of a gabbleduck by then, that'll be worth a copy of Orbus plus copies of the rest of the Macmillan backlist of my books. My contact details can be found in 'Contacts' on my Virgin website: http://freespace.virgin.net/n.asher

Neal_asher

Post Number: 59
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 03:52 am:   

Wonderful new covers here:
http://theskinner.blogspot.com/2009/03/new-covers-wow.html

Neal_asher

Post Number: 61
Posted on Thursday, November 19, 2009 - 06:19 am:   

Okay, a little while ago I finished The Departure, wrote a couple of synopses and some blurbs for it, then sent it off to Macmillan. Good response from the commissioning editor (bloody marvelous). Heres one of the blurbs for you:

Like Wellsian war machines the shepherds stride into riots to grab up the ringleaders and drag them off to Inspectorate HQ for adjustment, unless they are in shredding mode, in which case their captives visit community digesters, or rather whatever of them has not been washed down the street drains.

Pain inducers are used for adjustment, and soon the Committee will have the power to edit human minds, but not yet, twelve billion human beings need to die before Earth can be stabilized, but by turning large portions of Earth into concentration camps this is achievable, especially when the Argus satellite laser network comes fully online

Alan Saul has taken a different route to disposal, waking as he does inside a crate on the conveyor into the Calais incinerator. How he got there he does not know, but he does remember the pain and the face of his interrogator. Janus speaks to Saul through the hardware implanted in his skull, sketching the nightmare world for him. And Saul decides to bring it all crashing down

Not sure if this is what will be appearing on the back of the book, but it gives you a taste of what its all about.

http://theskinner.blogspot.com

Neal_asher

Post Number: 62
Posted on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 10:12 am:   

Twittering now @nealasher ...

Neal_asher

Post Number: 63
Posted on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 07:15 am:   

Asher broadcast number two is up. Lesson to self: must stop to sip tea! http://theskinner.blogspot.com/2009/12/capture20091201wmv.html

Neal_asher

Post Number: 67
Posted on Monday, March 29, 2010 - 09:31 am:   

Damn me, my publisher didn’t change the locks when I popped outside for a cigarette. After four contracts for three books, plus a collection of short stories and two extras first published in America, over a million and a half words having passed under editorial pencils, they’re still not fed up with me. Even after having to tolerate a slightly drunk author wandering around Macmillan offices, snaffling any book that isn’t nailed down and secreting it in a Tesco carrier bag, they’re still prepared to put up with me. Wow!

Now, whilst progressively renewing my covers (using those superb Jon Sullivan pictures), Tor Macmillan have given me a five book contract, which I’ve signed. My last contract underwent a slight redesign with the last two books being swapped around so that The Departure, a novel based on short stories that appeared in my collection The Engineer ReConditioned, will be published last rather than second to last. This book will be the first of the ‘Owner Sequence’ comprising two further books titled Zero point and Jupiter War. After that I’m signed up for three as yet to be named books, so I’ll certainly be writing books for Macmillan for some years to come.

I see the future now. New employees at Macmillan will express momentary bafflement and surprise, “Neal Asher? I thought he was dead?” whereupon oldtimers will point nervously to a big iron-studded oak door, “We keep him in there”. Neophyte editors will be ushered through that door, “Keep to the right. Do not touch or approach the glass. You pass him nothing but soft paper…” Meanwhile, those working in book shops will check their latest delivery and dubiously eye the sagging ‘A’ shelf. A Hogwarts trained shelf-stacker will remove the books from their box with iron tongues, whilst a second employee affixes the chains.

Thanks all at Macmillan, it’s great working with you.

If anyone has any press queries, please email cdothealyatmacmillandotcodotuk

Neal_asher

Post Number: 69
Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2011 - 11:00 am:   

The Parasite is now available on Kindle:

http://amazon.co.uk/dp/B004RZIC6S/nealasher

After mining complex ices deep in the Solar System, Jack Smith is concerned about his profit margin, but is it him who doesnt want to face quarantine or something squirming inside him? The Cryon Corporation Director, Geoffry Haven, is also concerned about the bottom line and might consider Jack an expense he can no longer afford, though perhaps suitable for a starring role in a snuff movie. Meanwhile, the human and unhuman agents of World Health must investigate. Perhaps its time to deploy vat-grown killers and an anti-photon weapon, because the parasite is coming to Earth, and its hungry.

The Parasite was first published by Tanjen Ltd as an illustrated novella back in 1996. Tanjen closed down a number of years later and since then the novella has been difficult if not impossible to obtain. There are copies out there, but checking recently I havent seen one for below $50.00, which is a hell of a lot for something only 130 pages long and perhaps only for completists. Ive edited it again, thought I havent been too heavy-handed since I didnt want to deliver something that had completely ceased to be the original. This is my first attempt at self-publishing through Amazon Kindle. I hope you all enjoy it!
Neal Asher

Once again, Neal Asher gives his reader a meal of such exquisite taste that you're left like Oliver, desiring more. Authortrek

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |