HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

U.S. publications

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Asher, Neal » U.S. publications « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gregg
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 07:39 am:   

Hey Neal, the forthcoming books section of the December issue of Locus has The Line of Polity listed as a September '04 hardcover from Tor. Do you have any updates on any more U.S. publications, such as the new edition of The Engineer from Cosmos Books?

Neal Asher
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2003 - 01:24 am:   

Ungh! That's news to me, but I hope it's right! Last I heard Tor in America had only bought Gridlinked and The Skinner. As to The Engineer - I sent it off to Cosmos Books (revamped, a bit of a commentary for each story, and some additional stories) but have heard nothing from them for ages.

Gregg
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2003 - 05:44 pm:   

Well, I hope Locus is right about The Line of Polity, although it seems odd that no one got around to telling you. As for Cosmos, they update their website so rarely that I got tired of waiting for them and thought I'd appeal directly to you for news. It's tough to get your stories from U.K. magazines here in the States, so I was really looking forward to an expanded edition of The Engineer (I have a copy of the original). I realize you have to focus on novels now, but I'm still hoping for that new Engineer collection.

Neal Asher
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 06:40 am:   

(daft this - I posted a reply and it disappeared)
I too hope Locus is right, though my publisher knows nothing about this. Maybe a mistake, or maybe a cat let out of the bag too soon. If cosmos don't get round to publishing The Engineer, then certainly someone else will, not least Macmillan, but gawd knows when. However, Gardner Dozois has accepted three stories from me for Asimov's, the first of which will appear in either June or July next year. Also the chapbook collection of about six of my stories (Runcible Tales) is still available.

Gregg
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 03:38 pm:   

I have Runcible Tales, too, Neal, but thanks for the info. I'll look forward to the Asimov's stories, then, and wait patiently for The Engineer.

Jeremy Lassen
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 05:03 pm:   

Neal... I can think of serveral publishers in the states that would love to do The Engineer. ;) Let me know if the Cosmos edition falls through.

Neal Asher
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 01:26 am:   

Um, perhaps I should start pushing about The Engineer. Trouble is I get so wrapped up in what I'm presently doing, and I've cultivated an attitude of patience concerning waiting for publication.

Gregg
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 05:47 pm:   

The March 2004 issue of Locus lists The Engineer ReEngineered as an upcoming publication from Cosmos Books, with a June 2004 publication date. Of course, this is the same magazine that claimed that The Line of Polity was coming from Tor US this fall; they make no such claim in their current Forthcoming Books column. Know anything about this, Neal, or is someone lyin' again?

Neal
Posted on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 07:26 am:   

I have signed a contract with Cosmos Books for 'The Engineer Reconditioned', but have heard nothing from them since. I don't know what this ReEngineered is all about. It contains the stories from the original (edited) plus a couple extra, and intros to each.

Gregg
Posted on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 10:43 am:   

I hope that's it, although you'd think they'd let you know it was being published, especially now that it is supposedly only three months away. What are the stories you've added that were not in the original edition of The Engineer?

Neal
Posted on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 12:50 am:   

The additional stories are Tiger Tiger, The Torbeast's Prison, and a personal favorite of mine The Gurnard. These were all previously published in Graeme Hurry's magazine Kimota (details on my website). I think Cosmos are also doing a hardback edition.
http://freespace.virgin.net/n.asher

Gregg
Posted on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 05:11 pm:   

Thanks, Neal. I have one more U.S. publication update for anyone who is interested. The current issue of Asimov's says Neal's story "The Veteran" will be in the June 2004 issue.

Mark Stackpole
Posted on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 10:55 am:   

Is U.S. TOR going to buy THE LINE OF POLITY and COWL?

Neal
Posted on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 03:55 am:   

Mark, Tor has already bought Cowl which they'll be publishing next. They have not yet (as far as I know) bought The Line of Polity, though I think that's on the cards.

Neal
Posted on Monday, November 08, 2004 - 06:05 am:   

The dust jacket for the American hardback of Cowl is now up on my website under 'Books':
http://freespace.virgin.net/n.asher

Neal Asher
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 04:40 am:   

I'm told Kirkus lists The Skinner as one of the top five SFF books of 2004, and that I'm the only British writer on the list???

Neal Asher
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 05:01 am:   

Seems it's true: http://www.kirkusreviews.com/kirkusreviews/images/pdf/kirkus-year-end-2004.pdf

Mastadge
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 04:33 am:   

Any word on whether or when any more books will be coming out in the US after COWL?

nealasher
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 06:13 am:   

No news as yet, Mastadge. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. However, I am about to sign another three-book contract with Macmillan for POLITY AGENT, HILLDIGGERS & THE LINE WAR. And BRASS MAN is ot from them on April 15th.

Mastadge
Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 07:19 pm:   

Neal, is the US Cowl hardcover cancelled? I saw it in TPB in a local bookstore the other day, and just now got an email from Amazon saying that the HC had been cancelled. . .

nealasher
Posted on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 01:39 am:   

Unfortunately so. The publisher got an offer from a book club that could not be refused -- something in the order of five to ten times the amount of tpb rather than hardbacks. It happens. But then was publishing an author new to America (relatively) straight into hardcover a great idea? Who will pay $20 for a book by an author they don't know?

JKS
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 08:31 am:   

Hey Neal,

Who would buy a book for $20 by an author they’ve never heard of? Uhm, well that would be me (hand waves from the bleacher seats). ‘Cept, I actually bought both ‘Gridlinked’ and ‘The Skinner’ at the same time. Can’t exactly remember why; maybe I had read good reviews or maybe it was the nifty discount Neil offers over on the Clarkesworld books site, but after reading ‘Gridlinked’ I did congratulate myself for having the foresight to have ‘The Skinner’ on hand to plunge right into.

After finishing those, I quickly picked up the others that Neil had (‘Africa Zero’ and ‘Runcible Tales’) and after thoroughly enjoying those, I was ready to pay the horrendous postage to import ‘Line of Polity’, ‘Cowl’, and ‘The Brass Man’ from the UK. You can see the trend here (I think it has something to do with the water), and, finally biting the financial bullet, I’ve recently received ‘The Engineer’ (35 bloody pounds + 8 more for friggin’ postage (Gah!)), and ‘The Parasite’ (a more reasonable $20 US).

I just finished ‘The Parasite’ last night, and quite enjoyed it (ok the cover is a little garish). The prose isn’t quite as polished in places as your later books but the sheer drive of the plot kept me tuned right in for the whole story.

Couple of questions for you:

I assume ‘The Engineer Reconditioned’ from Cosmos is dead, so what are the chances when you resell the book you’ll also include ‘Mason’s Rats’ and ‘Mindgames: Fool’s Mate’ in it (those titles I’ve just had absolutely no luck in tracking down)?

And seeing as we just had Charlie Stross take vacation in Toronto, I’m assuming that T.O. will become the hot spot for UK SF writers (sort of like Brighton, but with cleaner streets). When can we expect you to arrive? I’d love to buy you a pint and get a couple of autographs (ask Charlie: I’m good for a jug of fine old Canadian whiskey for services rendered!).

All the best,

Jonathan K. Stephens

Sean Wallace
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 06:47 pm:   

No, "The Engineer Reconditioned" is not dead, with the designer still tweaking the cover.

nealasher
Posted on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 09:59 am:   

Jonathan, great to hear from you. As sean says, The Engineer Reconditioned will be coming out, and when it does you can be sure details will be up on my website, on this message board and others.

You'll be very lucky to obtain a copy of Mason's Rats, but then it was only a little booklet put out by Kimota with three stories in it. I do have a few copies of Mindgames, still in their shrink wrapping and retained until I can sell them for some disgusting amount. I have seen copies selling on eBay for about £7 each.

I'm amazed at the price you paid for The Engineer. It's also interesting that you paid less for The Parasite which has to be the rarer book.

Incidentally, the first Mason's Rats story appeared in Asimovs a few issues back, so you might be able to get hold of that.

Cheers!

JKS
Posted on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 11:08 am:   

Hi Neal,

Please email me what exactly is your 'digusting amount', and most likely I'll be happy to cross your palms with filthy lucre! After all, there's no real Asher-fix upcoming 'till 'Voyage'. Yeah, I picked up that issue of Asimov's on sight. Tell me, are they going to publish the other two Mason's rats stories?

best,

Jonathan

P.S. I read with amusement your forthcoming kamikazi attacks of biblical proportions upon the unsuspecting british publishing elite. How's that going for you? ;)

nealasher
Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2005 - 03:46 am:   

I'll sort something out about MGFM etc and email you as requested.

Kamikazi attacks are proceeding apace: I've finished the first draft of Polity Agent and now, clicked up a gear. Presently working my attack on America as well by writing a novella to catapult into the Nightshade citadel - aimed to land squarely on top of Jason Williams' head.

nealasher
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 01:21 am:   

Someone from http://www.dragonpage.com/ will be conducting an audio interview with me this coming Saturday which will, at a later date, be available for download and can be heard on XM or the syndicated stations in America.

Paladinsb
Username: Paladinsb

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 03:04 pm:   

Hello Neal!

Been having a blast reading your books. Any idea what is going on with the U.S. release of "Line War"? It looks like it has been out in the U.K. since last April, with a paperback coming this April, but Amazon U.S. still only has a placeholder page where you can sign up to be notified when it's available for preorder.

I loved "The Skinner" and "The Voyage of the Sable Keech". I saw on your blog "Orbus" is scheduled for September in the U.K. Any U.S. timetable in place yet on that one? Will the U.K. release be hardback or paperback?

Thanks for the entertainment!
Steve

Neal_asher
Username: Neal_asher

Post Number: 55
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 07:52 am:   

Hi Paladinsb (?). Damned if I know. Macmillan are still printing it in hardback (though I don't know about large format export paperbacks)and that seems to be the one that's unavailable. The other one - mass-market paperback - isn't out yet. If you want either of the former two, perhaps try elsewhere, maybe the Pan Macmillan site? What you have to remember is that this book is not a US release, it's printed in Britain and shipped, so maybe if Amazon US feel they won't sell many more of the first printing (the former two) they don't order any more. That said I'll forward your message to Macmillan.

Glad you're enjoying the books. Orbus, like many of my books, doesn't really have a US timetable. The only ones actually published and printed there by Tor US are Gridlinked, The Skinner, Brass Man and Cowl.

Paladinsb

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 04:48 pm:   

Yeah, it should be PaladinSB (SB are initials). I got the formatting wrong and there doesn't seem to be any way to fix it without deleting my profile and starting over. Whoever you forwarded my post to, something happened because now Amazon U.S. has Line War in hardcover for sale and a preorder page up for the paperback. Looks like I'll have something to tide me over until Orbus. Cheers!

Neal_asher

Post Number: 56
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 01:24 am:   

Glad to hear it, though it probably wasn't anything I did. Most likely just some hitch in supply.

Paladinsb

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, September 19, 2010 - 06:33 pm:   

Finally gave up on a U.S. release of Orbus and ordered it and The Technician from Amazon UK. The Macmillan Tor website only lists Gridlinked, Cowl, The Skinner and Brass Man for you - nothing on your new ones and it seems like a goodly number of the ones they did publish are missing too. What's up with that? At this rate, I'm going to have to get a Kindle to read your books (Amazon US doesn't seem to have any problem stocking the Kindle editions of your new books, they just don't seem to want to sell REAL BOOKS anymore).

Neal_asher

Post Number: 68
Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 02:32 am:   

You should try ordering from http://bookdepository.co.uk -- free international delivery.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |