Hello! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Vukcevich, Ray » Hello! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Maureen McHugh
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 06:16 am:   

Ray! You are here and your topic is empty!

How are you? How is your writing? I just heard that you have the funniest story in WITPUNK.

LeslieWatt
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 05:53 pm:   

Hey, Ray! Here's a topic casserole to welcome you to the hood. I hope you like marshmallows in your Jell-O salad.

Leslie

Ray vukcevich
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 01:45 pm:   

Sorry, guys! I'm up to my ears in lab work -- people trying to get stuff done before they go off to spring break conferences (really). I'll post a welcome soon. But hi Maureen and Leslie!

Ray

LeslieWhat
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 07:48 am:   

Up to your ears at a brain lab. There's a joke in here and it involves temporal lobes.

Michael Jasper
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 09:09 am:   

Ray -- just don't drop any potted plants on anyone while at the lab (especially from a great height!)

Loved your story "Wages of Syntax" at SCI FICTION. And MEET ME IN THE MOON ROOM ain't to shabby either. Nice work!

MaureenMcq
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 09:24 am:   

Ray, I'm still waiting for a welcome. What are you writing?

John Klima
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2003 - 08:35 am:   

Ray:

Finally got down to MEET ME IN THE MOON ROOM in my stack of things to read next, and I have to say, fantastic stuff. What can we expect from you in the future? Where are you going to be appearing next?

JK

Ray Vukcevich
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 03:51 pm:   

Sorry, guys. I will get to this very soon (but by then I will have already said all my welcome stuff in little snorts and fits -- maybe I should downplay the buildup). It has been on my todo list every day for a long time. In the meantime, John, my last story is "Jumping" in WITPUNK edited by Claude Lalumiere and Marty Halpern (Four Walls Eight Windows). Thanks for the kind words, Michael. Maureen, I'm trying to come up with something for New Mexico. In between, four level hyper games that talk so someone can watch brains doing complicated things. And cleaning gutters and picking up all the shingles the Pacific blows off my roof.

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2003 - 12:27 pm:   

I gotta say, I absolutely love your fiction, Ray. I tore through Meet Me in the Moon Room in two days (and will be actually reviewing it as part of an omnibus of Small Beer Press books this summer for GMR). "Poop" was probably my favorite story; not quite sure what that says about me.

Ray Vukcevich
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 12:11 pm:   

Hi Jason

Thanks for the kind words about Moon Room. Are you a parent? I'm thinking parents should especially relate to "Poop."

Ray

LeslieWhat
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 09:00 pm:   

Ray

the new (ish) VW Passat commercial reminds me of Poop. Phone call from the future. Mysterious warnings. Diaper is in the subtext.

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 06:56 pm:   

Leslie - Hey, you Clarion teacher you! That commercial reminds me of "Poop" as well.

Ray - I'm not a parent. I'm not even apparent.

Ray Vukcevich
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2003 - 12:50 pm:   

I haven't seen that one. I'll have to watch for it. Well, Jason, if you ever are a parent, you'll know what to expect. :-)

Sorry, for the delay in this reply. It looks like I'm only going to be able to check in here every few days for a while.

Ray

Gregory Feeley
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 07:55 pm:   

I like Ray Vukcevich's stories, not least because they prove on second reading to be more mysterious than you first thought. (Most SF or fantasy stories suffer a disasterous loss of what sense of mystery they had upon second reading.)

LeslieWhat
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 08:45 pm:   

Hi, Jason! How goes life PC? (Post Clarion)

I'm still amazed and amused by Ray's COUNT ON ME but I also appreciate some of the later, more sophisticated stories. A BREATH HOLDING CONTEST, for example, which might appear at first glance to be a bit of nonsense, is very deep, funny, and wise. I also don't know if it's later or I just read it later.

Sorry if I've mangled the names--my book is hidden somewhere.

NinaKHoffman
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2003 - 03:24 am:   

Now some of us have seen Ray's story for New Mexico, and it is also great. How ominous can the word "Glinky" be?

Hope it comes out soon so you guys can love it too!

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2003 - 12:10 pm:   

I look forward to adding "Glinky" to my vocabulary, just as soon as Ray tells me what it means.

I hope to start The Man of Maybe Half-a-Dozen Faces sometime soon. I just love that title.

Hey again, Leslie! Sorry it's taken me so long to respond. Life PC has been very good; I've sold four short stories this year, and currently have fourteen under consideration. I'm a literary guest at Trinoc*con this August. Plus, I got engaged last month to my Clarion sweetie, Janet Chui, which is definitely very cool. Today's the anniversary of when we started dating at Clarion.

LeslieWhat
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 08:54 am:   

Hey, Jason! Congrats on good work and good choices. Janet is a sweetie! Happy one-year anniversary.

I loved "The Man of Maybe Half-a-Dozen Faces." Hope to read more Ray novels soon.

Maureen McHugh
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 10:00 am:   

Even if you read the story, you won't be sure what "Glinky" means and that's part of why it's so ominous.

I think we should just conduct this topic entirely without Ray. Any time anyone of us feels Ray-like, we can come and post something. Personally and speaking as a writer, I'd like to be more Ray-like.

Ray Vukcevich
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2003 - 03:50 pm:   

Hey, Leslie tipped me off you guys were talking about me. Sorry to be so scarce. I am just so busy. I'll try to pop in more often. I can't really talk about Glinky until I sell it. :-)

Ray

Brian Dobson
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2003 - 03:56 pm:   

Ray has been captured (or captivated) by an Oregon cult and is now known as Person17. How do I know? You need to ask?

Maureen McHugh
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2003 - 08:02 pm:   

Hey Brian, that's pretty Ray-like!

Scott William Carter
Posted on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 11:34 am:   

Ray,

Have you seen this?

http://www.paizo.com/image/product/magazine_issue/amazing/603/cover_500.jpg

Pretty damn good company you're listed with on the cover, man. Wow. And they listed you before Harlan Ellison and Neil Gaiman, so that must mean something right? ;)

--Scott

Ray Vukcevich
Posted on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 01:38 pm:   

I just got a copy the other day, Scott.
I'm jazzed about it, but I don't think the order means anything. :-)

Ray

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register