HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Congrats on Crawford!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Tambour, Anna » Congrats on Crawford! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

JV
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 01:15 pm:   

Congrats on being a finalist for the Crawford!
Jeff

jeff ford
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 05:00 pm:   

Anna: All right!!!! Not too shabby. Good luck.

Vera Nazarian
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 05:51 pm:   

Yeah, lookie here! :-)

http://www.emcit.com/wordpress/?p=1962

AT
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 09:55 pm:   

Thank you! If I woke up next to a 200 kg jellyfish I couldn't be more surprised. Delighted to see Spotted Lily rubbing shoulders with these other wonderful books.

al duncan
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 12:54 am:   

Great news, Anna!

Alistair
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 08:02 am:   

Great stuff indeed!

Didn't surprise me at all. Nor did it surprise the 200kg jellyfish I woke up next to this morning. He or she (so difficult to tell these days) thought it was perfectly just.

Kirsten Bishop
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 01:02 am:   

Congratulations, Anna! We're barracking for you. Let us know if there's an appropriate sacrifice to make to the Giant Jellyfish Overlord.

AT
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 09:25 pm:   

Thank you, lovely people; and I hope you didn't shock the jelly, Alistair! If you dream for ice cream, you could give even a man o' war the terminal trembles. As for these particular jellyfish, bed is safer for them than the sea.
See
http://www.fishupdate.com/news/fullstory.php/aid/3720/Japan:_giant_jellyfish_cau ses_problem_for_fishermen.html
and
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/01/0119_060119_jellyfish.html

Sacrifices? A great idea, Kirsten. I would love to turn Australia's health minister and like-minded souls into tasty jellyfish food. It would be a backyard operation.
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/lobbying-storm-in-abortion-pill-debate/2006/ 02/06/1139074171397.html

KeithB
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 05:26 am:   

Excellent news - well done!

Kirsten Bishop
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 05:12 pm:   

Or one could just turn them into jellyfish. By their criteria of what it takes to make a person, jellyfish would be people too, so they ought to have no objections.

Then they could all do a Harold Holt en masse and vanish into the sea...

Geoffrey Maloney
Posted on Friday, February 10, 2006 - 03:46 am:   

We'll the Health Minister might just want to vanish into sea after the female senators ganged up across party lines and voted against the bastard. Still he's got his male mates in the lower house to help him out.

Kirsten, at one time you where supporting this guy on his IVF ideas weren't you? Now you want to turn him into a jellyfish?

Sorry, Anna, got sidetracked on politics. Great news about your book. Why isn't it on the Aurealis Awards?

AT
Posted on Friday, February 10, 2006 - 01:33 pm:   

Geoffrey, I'm delighted that you got sidetracked on politics. It shouldn't have only been the female senators that ganged up on him. I loved Kerry Nettle's t-shirt: Get your rosaries off my ovaries especially since the Catholic Church and Christian evangelicals are the most organised politically in the country, in their efforts to create a theocracy. It is black-is-white to deny it, as Howard, part of their lot has.
see for instance, the Australian Christian Lobby
Our health minister acts for the Catholic Church and our local MP, unfortunately, for wowser evangelicals. The Christian groups of politicians in parliaments in Australia are downright creepy. But I'm getting sidetracked on politics.

Nothing of mine is on the Aurealis Awards because I didn't enter anything of my own. It's kinda tacky, I think, to formally enter your own stuff. And no-one else did.

AT
Posted on Friday, February 10, 2006 - 01:58 pm:   

and Kirsten, jellyfish wouldn't be people to them because only people play harps. But I love the idea of them doing a Harold Holt and vanishing into the sea. Where's those CIA operatives when we need them?

Matt Hughes
Posted on Friday, February 10, 2006 - 03:53 pm:   

Anna:

Congratulations on the Crawford short-listing. My fellow SF Canada member, Holly Phillips, is also up for the award, but I play no favorites. Best of luck.

Matt

Geoffrey Maloney
Posted on Saturday, February 11, 2006 - 04:50 am:   

"Get you rosaries off my ovaries" that's great. Luv it.

No, Anna, it's not tacky to enter your own stuff for the AAs. They rely on it. Given that that AAs aren't fan based awards, then they should be considering everything that has been published in the last year. (Yes, if they were fan based it would be tacky for the author to nominate their own work). The problem is that they seem to have made a decision last year, perhaps, the year before to only consider work that was nominated by authors and publishers because there is so much getting published they couldn't keep up, and of course all the panels are made up of volunteers, who don't necessarily get to read everything unless it's been given to them.

There's been some controversy about this year's awards becuase of the rules and because the rules and the reasons for them could have been comminicated more widely.

Anna, I'm sorry that your book isn't on any of the AA shortlists. It should have been.

Back to politics. I have three young daughters. I want them to be able to grow up and have control over their own bodies and to be able to use modern science to do that to the best of their advantage.

That's paternalistic, I know, but it it's still a good reason why Tony Abbott and his pals are cow dung. Let's see what happens when it goes back to the House of Reps. I'm already feeling pessimistic.

AT
Posted on Saturday, February 11, 2006 - 01:48 pm:   

Matt, thanks! It's great rubbing elbows with Holly Phillips in this list.

I've enjoyed reading your political comments very much. You speak so sensibly.

AT
Posted on Saturday, February 11, 2006 - 01:56 pm:   

Geoffrey, yeah, well, I should have entered, though it still feels funny to do so. I had two short stories published this year that I quite like, too. Oh well.

Good for you on your paternalistic attitude! If that's paternalism, let's see more of it around the world. As for the House of Reps, I'm delighted to report that I was wrong about our local MP. Joanna Gash is going to vote for women having that choice.

Kirsten Bishop
Posted on Saturday, February 11, 2006 - 06:05 pm:   

Anna - but imagine what harpists jellyfish would be, with all those tentacles instead of our mere ten fingers! One jellyfish could be the harp, and another jellyfish could play it.

Geoff - I do recall agreeing with Tony Abbott about cuts to IVF funding. This doesn't mean that I approve of the man in general; indeed, I don't.

Geoffrey Maloney
Posted on Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 03:21 am:   

Anna

I haven't done the stats, but hopefully there are enough Joanna Gashes in there for the vote. Abbott apparently said that this would be a vote against him and the government if he lost it. It'd be nice if he lived by that statement and resigned, but of course he want.

Kirsten, IVF and the RU drug are the same thing to Abbott. Both of them allow women to use science and make decisions about what they wish to do with their bodies in the modern world. Men like Abbott don't like that. The amount of money he saved by cutting back on IVF treatments was nothing in the overall budget and a drop in the ocean compared to the money they are spending by keeping soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I knew that as soon as he won on IVF cut-backs, he'd get onto abortion next. The RU drug doesn't need to be about abortion. It's a generic drug already available in the US and has been used to treat certain brain tumours effectively. Abbott chose to turn the debate about the drug into one about abortion. Women having control over their bodies is against nature in his conservative catholic eyes.

And Anna, I'm still sorry not to see any of your work on the AA shortlists.

Kirsten Bishop
Posted on Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 08:02 am:   

Geoff - perhaps we ought to move this conversation off Anna's message board. I'll email you.

AT
Posted on Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 01:25 pm:   

Kirsten and Geoff, please do continue your conversation here! If you'd like, put another title to it in my section of this board, and then continue, but please don't disappear. I think it's an important discussion.

And Kirsten, wouldn't jellyfish be great harp players! What an image, too.

And Geoff, thank you for your comment on the AA short lists.

geoffrey Maloney
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 04:35 am:   

Kisten, thanks, that would be appropriate.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |