HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

The Mary Quant jelly thing, and other...

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Tambour, Anna » The Mary Quant jelly thing, and other surprises « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

AT
Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2005 - 05:55 pm:   

A fingernail-size frond of pink coralline algae in a tossed-up tangle of kelp and other seaweeds, moved. A seaweed decorator crab. Even in the palm of my hand, this creature didn't look convincing as an animal. Other finds yesterday: five (and I'd never found one before, only pieces) whole Port Jackson shark egg cases (otherwise known as a mermaid's purse). The mother screws the case into rocks. which is why finding them whole is such a special occasion. Usually all that washes up is a thin curve of a piece, a man's big toenail made of tortoiseshell. Half-buried in the sand, they look frustratingly like fine guitar picks. 'The cases are leatherlike,' it is often written, but I think are more artichokelike, and they even dry with a similar curl. The Port Jackson shark is beautiful and harmless unless you are a sea urchin, mollusk, crustacean or a small fish.

Other finds yesterday:
Impossible sponges, still luridly coloured and some, with the most 1960s textures
The most marvelous find of all, also influenced by the 60s (it must have been a nostalgic tide)-
The Mary Quant Jelly thing
beachfind cutblowup.jpg
Actually, that's my common, common name. It is properly commonly called a star sea squirt and those orange and black flowers are little colonies of individuals. Though they do 'discharge their filtered water into a common space,' none of them have ever written a thing, nor even, to my knowledge, inhaled, but I haven't checked under the microscope yet.

That, by the way, is what I could put under my scanner. A small bush of the thing with a slightly different design is in a bucket beside me, and if I had the right seawater setup, it would live to a ripe 7-year age. Instead, the piece that's pictured is now drying into a precious bookmark.

AliceB
Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2005 - 07:02 pm:   

Wait a minute--if I got this right, each of those orange thingies are an individual animal? And the whole acts as an individual animal too? Way cool.

Best,
Alice

AliceB
Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2005 - 07:03 pm:   

Uh, "is an individual animal"...

jeff ford
Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2005 - 09:29 pm:   

Anna: I enjoyed both the photo and the descriptions -- beautiful stuff.

ben peek
Posted on Sunday, November 20, 2005 - 02:00 am:   

what a weird looking thing. cool.

AT
Posted on Sunday, November 20, 2005 - 03:31 pm:   

I didn't make one thing clear. The zooids are the individuals in the colony, not the colony (otherwise technically known as 'thingie') itself.

AT
Posted on Monday, November 21, 2005 - 08:51 pm:   

If you want to see the whole piece, I've put it online as I'll now be posting occasional pieces as a new part of my site - Bowl of Critters: An occasional snack. Bone a petite!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |