Spotted Lily review: Publishers Weekly Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Tambour, Anna » Spotted Lily review: Publishers Weekly « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

AT
Posted on Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 07:05 pm:   

"This shocker ...well strike some like a bracing tonic and others like something a lot less palatable. Having fled her Wooronga bush station home, Angela Pendergast ... predictably goes walkabout ... Tambour's racy, florid style achieves some witty one-liners, like ... but Angela's devil-sent humiliations too often verge on the off-puttingly scatological. Angela's loosely connected 'adventures' also feel contrived until she returns to the bush she realizes too late she loves, whimpering over the death of her dreams."
- June 20 Publishers Weekly

AT
Posted on Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 08:27 pm:   

That should read "might well strike..."

AT
Posted on Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 08:30 pm:   

woops, "might" should read "may".

AT
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 01:44 am:   

On Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0809544830/qid=1118013138/sr=8-1/r ef=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/002-7348618-2232014?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 09:56 am:   

Hmmm... Not the best review, but not terrible either.

AT
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 06:01 pm:   

What a great way to look at it, Jason. Thank you. I was not worried about getting negative reviews. I expected them (if I got any at all). I did, however, hope that they wouldn't tell too much of what the book is about, especially the ending. This review didn't.

Vera Nazarian
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 10:50 pm:   

I don't think it's terrible at all; it really is a "strong" reaction review. But then, the book is going to elicit that. It is an intense book!

Dunmore
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 11:32 pm:   

I couldn't agree more with Vera.

Make no mistake. Spotted Lily is a provocative book, and it'll provoke a variety of responses, I'm sure. That's what provocative books do.

All the more reason to read it, I say. I for one loved it.

The reviewer is actually spot on in saying it will be a bracing tonic for some. For me, in fact, it was a powerful elixir.

AT
Posted on Friday, July 01, 2005 - 05:51 pm:   

Thanks, Vera and Dunmore.

jeff ford
Posted on Friday, July 01, 2005 - 06:05 pm:   

Anna: I don't know about the PW review, but Vera's review has me wanting to read this book. The novel sounds very unique and when you have that, a lot of the time the reviews are split. Hang on and see what readers think. I remember, PW trashed The Physiognomy when it first came out, and some would say rightly so, but a lot of readers dug it as well. I'm looking forward to checking out The Spotted Lilly.

AT
Posted on Friday, July 01, 2005 - 06:53 pm:   

Very kind of you, Jeff.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration