New "Irresistibles" Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Tambour, Anna » New "Irresistibles" « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Anna T
Posted on Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 05:40 pm:   

A new collection of links in "Irresistibles" has been added to the main site of Anna Tambour and Others. I plan to do this weekly, at least.
http://annatambour.net/
Look in the "More" page for Irresistible archives and links you might enjoy but haven't visited yet.
http://annatambour.net/More.htm

Anna T
Posted on Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 03:53 pm:   

Updated again yesterday, which means I think I will be able to keep putting a new list up every Sunday (Australia time)
Look in the "More" page for more "Freshly Picked" Irresistibles and archives

Vera Nazarian
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2004 - 05:42 am:   

Oooh, what fun!

PS -- Sorry abut the delay in replying to email, it's been insane here, Anna! :-)

Bill B.
Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 01:54 pm:   

Wow... just a week or two ago I was remembering to my wife how, when I was young, I thought that wind was caused by trees waving their branches. Today I came across your web page with a quote from Ogden Nash saying the same thing. I know I was exposed to Nash as a child ("If called by a panther, don't anther"), so perhaps he was the source of my misguided "knowledge"! Oh, I like your stories, too!

Minsoo Kang
Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 07:49 pm:   

Bill, Anna,

There's an old Zen parable about three Buddhist monks taking a walk. The youngest sees a tree and says, "Look how the branches of the tree are waving." The second oldest monk says, "It is not the branches that are waving, but the wind that is moving." The oldest monk says, "It is neither the branches that are waving nor the wind that is moving, but it is your mind that is in motion."

Anna T
Posted on Friday, November 05, 2004 - 08:45 pm:   

Bill, Minsoo,
What a surprise here to read what you both have to say. And how enjoyable. I hadn't thought about the trees being the cause of wind until I read it, but it makes more sense than the unseen moving the seen. And now, with the additional twist of it being neither, but the mind itself, ahhh. Thank you, both of you, and I hope to read more from you.

(And Vera, hello and thanks from way back when already.)

Alistair Rennie
Posted on Friday, November 12, 2004 - 04:35 pm:   

But here is a thing which, perhaps, falls into the same category of conception/misconception (as you wish!) as above...

When I was wee (a kid of knee height)I honestly believed that the clouds in themselves were not moving but that they appeared to be moving only because (this is ture) the Earth was revolving. As far as I was concerned, clouds stayed permanently in the position they were in and did not change position but only seemed to change position because the earth was moving onwards and leaving them behind.

I remember truly, honestly believing that, because the earth took a year to revolve around the sun (Ok, I know I wasn't really on the ball with the physics of the matter, but remember I was only wee) I believed that at exactly the same date, same time the following year, I would see exactly the same cloud, with the same formation, passing by overhead just as I'd seen it the year before.

If only it were true!

Well,in view of some of the intimations already given by folks above, is there anyone else who can give an example of a classic childhood conception/misconception (as you wish!) which, while it doesn't accord with the laws of science, somehow accords with the laws of (non)sense?

AnnaT
Posted on Tuesday, November 16, 2004 - 02:54 pm:   

Alistair,
Such a comforting misconception. Much better than mine. I read in an astronomy book when I was seven or so that the earth would collide with the sun in, I think it said, 50 million years, and I had nightmares for years about this impending doom. On one of my own misconceptions, I do remember that when we lived beside a commercial orange grove, we were always being told by the adults that "they're spraying the trees today." I knew it must have taken a lot of coats, and often they weren't even, but never could figure out why the leaves of the trees didn't also get sprayed orange.

AnnaT
Posted on Tuesday, November 16, 2004 - 04:24 pm:   

New "Irresistibles" on now, and a new way I'm doing them. In addition to the bi-weekly edition of fresh links, there's a "Perishable", updated daily-ish on the main site,
with more "perishables" in the More page, as well as the archives.

I went from weekly editions to bi-weekly on the permanent links, because I thought that the weeklies were flying by faster than people were reading them, if indeed people are. Any feedback re the links here and frequency of getting new ones on, greatly appreciated. I want them to be as stimulating, thought-provoking, and fun for you to read as they are for me.

Alistair Rennie
Posted on Friday, November 19, 2004 - 04:57 pm:   

Ah, that was a great misconception. And I've just remembered my biggest ever MSC (abbreviation, from now on, for misconception). When I was little, about 3, 4 or 5, my father had a friend called Dod. Now, i don't know about other countries, but Dod in Scotland is short for George. So, if you're called George in Scotland, everyone will call you Dod. So, my dad's friend was called Dod, which to a child sounded like God. Well, I thought he really was called God.And I honestly believed that he WAS God. An old man wearing a flat cap, and I thought he was God. And that was my image of God for a long time for me.

Kirsten Bishop
Posted on Monday, December 06, 2004 - 12:29 pm:   

Anna -

I read with great interest the "Irresistibles" entry on nudibranchs. What wondrous sex lives they have! Partlicularly the daisy-chaining sea hares.

AnnaT
Posted on Wednesday, December 08, 2004 - 06:49 pm:   

Kirsten, Aren't those nudibranches amazing? I'm so glad you liked this, because I have scheduled as a feature (15 Dec), a justificatory note by the high priest of nudibranch worship himself, Dr. Hans Bertsch, author of that piece you read, "Everything you wanted to know about Nudibrances but were too timid to ask"
http://slugsite.us/bow/nudi_han.htm
who was kind enough to reveal how he first went wayward into this special passion. He converted me easily, and now I'm a nudibranch-voyeurism evangelist. You can perve on them from the comfort of your computer! But why wait. With Nudibranch of the Week bookmarked, you can get your fix with regularity. This particular NotW is typically fascinating, but anything colloquially called the gorgonian maggot would be, wouldn't it?
http://slugsite.us/bow/nudwk190.htm

Kirsten Bishop
Posted on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 11:18 am:   

Oh, isn't it cute! It's funny, I'm not good with the slimies and wrigglies on land. Snails are cute, beetles are cute, but caterpillars, worms, slugs, nope. Well, slugs are a bit cute. But underwater, when we went diving and were surrounded by invertebrates, I was fine. No heebie-jeebies from seaslugs, sea cucumbers or jellyfish. I suppose I was too worried about losing my mouthpiece and drowning. Gorgonian maggot. Wow!

p.s. The Spotted Lily cover looks divine. I do love Norman Lindsay's boudoirs and bacchanals.

AnnaT
Posted on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 03:54 pm:   

Kirsten,
"Not good with?" It's probably because you haven't had a chance to get to know any personally, and they all look just, uh, hairy. You might have liked Martha. She lived by my sink for about a month before she went walkabout and I had to put her out of the house. A lovely gentle personality, though she is called a wolf spider.
More cute slimies, with great links, in Hans Bertsch's piece, up now.
"Why I Like Nudibranchs, Marine Slugs with Verve"
http://annatambour.net/Hans_Bertsch.htm

And I see we're both Lindsay fans. I've wanted to celebrate him for years, so am grateful to have received permission to use this perfect piece.
If I could make a wish come true, everyone would wake up tomorrow to the sound of riffling pages, and behold their own copy of his book The Magic Pudding seductively just a nose away.

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 07:45 am:   

Anna, I'm delighted that Scattered, Covered, Smothered, made it onto your Irresistibles list. I hope you like the anthology. And when I get some free time, I'll check out the rest of the links there.

Kirsten Bishop
Posted on Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 04:02 pm:   

Oh, spiders are fine - well, I evict them from the house, but they don't give me the heebie-jeebies. It's caterpillars and worms I run a mile from. It started when I was a kid and there were mounds of spitfire carterpillars everywhere around the trees on the way to school, writhing and twitching and generally being gross.

Hans Bertsch's nudibranchs, on the other hand, are wonderfully puretty (that was supposed to be 'pretty', but I kind of like it with the 'u'), rococo little charmers. One can imagine them perching Fragonardishly on swings, swishing their little tassels at the passing fish.

And from Dr Bertsch I have learned a new word, 'foudroyant'. I shall always think of sea slugs and 'foudroyant' together.

AnnaT
Posted on Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 07:36 pm:   

ooh hooh, Kirsten! Definitely Fragonard! Delightful.

And Jason, SCS *had* to go in, on the strength of the cover illustration alone, which is simply marvellous. Janet Chiu is a wonderful artist, but it is her wit that really makes her outstanding (to this viewer's taste, at least).

I fully expect that SCS' illustrious author list and intriguing titles will be more than just tempting menu items, and will be as delicious as the cover pic. But if they aren't (voice of doom) may your tongue be forever laden with the taste of every wild cooking experiment that I have ever undertaken that didn't work, all mashed together.

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 09:01 am:   

I guarooooontee you'll enjoy the interior as much as the exterior, Anna. We have a sumptuous buffet of fantastic fiction (as well as fiction of the fantastic) that will keep your palate satiated until long after the holidays.

JV
Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 09:06 am:   

What size is it, the antho? 6 x 9?

Robert Burke Richardson
Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 09:39 am:   

"...may your tongue be forever laden with the taste of every wild cooking experiment that I have ever undertaken that didn't work, all mashed together."

I get the feeling this is a particularly wild doom, coming from Anna! :-)

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 07:08 pm:   

Since I don't know the depths of Anna's wild cooking experiments, I'm even more afraid, like not seeing the killer in a horror movie, only catching glimses of shadow, or a bit of clothing.

The book pages are half-letter size, 5.5" X 8.5". The twin-loop wire binding makes it slightly wider than that.

JV
Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 07:46 pm:   

Anna once sent me a whole cooked hog's head in the mail, from Australia, preserved in jello. I wasn't sure I wanted to taste it, but I didn't want to suffer Anna's displeasure, so I did, and it was good.

JeffV

Robert Burke Richardson
Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 08:12 pm:   

^Yummy good, or morally good?

AnnaT
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 04:26 am:   

Very wild, Robert! You're invited to be a taster any time.
And JV, complaining, are you? I should have sent you my exploding Ever-Blet(TM) chocolate-covered medlars.
But then that giant squid you sent landed on a New Zealand beach, and not properly here. And I had a shipping container of water boiling, ready for it to pop in, and the whole south coast population invited for dinner. They all had to trudge home, grazing on gum leaves and road-killed wombats. Cheap, you are, using sea mail, Jeff. Cheap. Cheap. Cheap.
And now look at it, Jeff.
Plastic, like some Japanese restaurant.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?c_id=5&ObjectID=9001830
What a waste.

AnnaT
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 04:38 am:   

"Yummy good, or morally good?"
Heavens! I don't know what Jeff would say here re his delectation response, but you shock me, Robert, on my part. I *always* try to make something both yummy good, AND morally good, as we all should.
As in Mae West's morals. "When choosing between two evils, I always like to take the one I've never tried before."

AnnaT
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 07:06 pm:   

As for you, Jason,
Be afraid. Very very afraid.

AnnaT
Posted on Saturday, February 05, 2005 - 01:25 am:   

Geoffrey Maloney's short story "A Very Long War" is the newest feature.
http://www.annatambour.net/GeoffreyMaloney.htm

AnnaT
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 04:51 pm:   

"The Legend of Jake Einstein" by Deborah Layne is one of this edition's Irresistibles. I'm saying this here because I generally don't get a chance to tell people, "I've linked you" but this story is so wonderful that if you haven't read it, I urge you to, and I don't know Deborah's email. Another important piece in a different vein altogether is "The Orphanage", put on because the joke seems to have been changed in the past week to "Is the world Catholic?" And oh, "Shelter" is only one of a number of many absolutely stunning netsukes of Australian artist Susan Wraight, so do click this link, for breathtaking beauty and an attitude to the world that I really admire. And dammit, she writes wonderfully, too. She's a bit excessive in the "blessed-with" department, but no one can be perfect

www.annatambour.net

AnnaT
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 04:55 pm:   

I should have just given you the link to The Legend of Jake Einstein, so you don't have to go through my site. Here it is. It makes me smile, just thinking of the story again. Time to read it again!
http://www.forteanbureau.com/may2004/Layne/

Anna Tambour
Posted on Saturday, April 30, 2005 - 08:55 pm:   

New Irresistibles on. I'm trying to update every two weeks, but sometimes those weeks stretch. Anyway, have a look, and also take a glance at the lefthand quotes section, something that I've been playing around with and keep adding new ones to.

AT
Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 06:47 pm:   

A new arrangement and easier use (I hope), now with links opening up in a new page.

AT
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 06:05 am:   

August's lot of Irresistibles is up. And the quotes section is now being changed monthly, too.

AT
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 06:09 am:   

August's lot of Irresistibles is up. And the quotes section is now being changed monthly, too.
www.annatambour.net

And the archives are in More.

AT
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 06:15 am:   

www.annatambour.net

And the archives are in More.

Every link now opens in a new window so the site is easier to use than it was before. It was duhsomely easy to do, which surprised me, so apologies to anyone hassled by the inconvenience of the navigation before, when I didn't have this right. If anything still isn't right, I'd appreciate you telling me.

AT
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 06:19 am:   

Crikey, 3 times! I thought it wasn't loading, but it's my bloody brain that's obviously overloaded - with rubbish!

AT
Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 05:52 am:   

September's Irresistibles is topped with an article that begins: "A study published in the latest issue of Restoration Ecology finds that in coastal Louisiana, oyster reefs help to deter erosion."

And there are a number of other fascinators on the site, including the quotes section, updated monthly now.
www.annatambour.net

Archives in More:

AT
Posted on Sunday, October 02, 2005 - 05:42 pm:   

Bumper crop this month of Irresistibles, and of Quotes.

AT
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 06:03 pm:   

Updated monthly, so new ones now. I rarely get around to telling anyone that I've included their whatever in my list, so you'll never know what you'll find.
www.annatambour.net

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration