Monterra's Deliciosa & Other Tales &... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Tambour, Anna » Monterra's Deliciosa & Other Tales & « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vera Nazarian
Posted on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 03:23 am:   

Here's a nice cozy spot to start the discussion about Anna Tambour's wonderful debut collection "Monterra's Deliciosa & Other Tales &."

Here's an Amazon link to it, by the way:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1894815955/qid%3D1096194360/sr%3D11-1/ref %3Dsr%5F11%5F1/103-7075557-2498245

Have you gotten your copy? :-)

Mastadge
Posted on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 10:45 am:   

Yes, I own a copy. Read about half of it, enjoyed most of the stories I read . . . then forgot it at home when I returned to school.

T Andrews
Posted on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 08:17 pm:   

I visited Anna Tambour's website and after getting a look at "Monterra's Deliciosa & Other Tales", I've decided to treat myself to a copy. It looks magical. I'm very intrigued. :-)

Anna T
Posted on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 08:45 pm:   

How very nice, T.
I hope you like it.
And Mastadge, thank you also for buying a copy. Perhaps your family dog is sampling parts of the book now. Or your cat. My cat once glanced at and then threw up nonchalantly on one of my favourite books, and walked away with a yawn. What a review that was! But I think dogs are more into getting into a book in depth, really chewing into the plot.
But Mastadge, if there's any left when you get home, I hope you get a chance to chew the rest of the stories over, and hope you enjoy at least some.

Alistair Rennie
Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 08:53 am:   

T, the book is both magical and intriguing. And even manages to be disturbing in places too. So the combination is very potent and keeps you guessing all the way.

I first came across a couple of stories by Anna T on the Infinity Plus website and I was instantly taken. Also, it was during a spell where I'd been trying to catch up on reading contemporary authors after a few years of being stuck in the nineteenth century for “educational purposes”. At that time I was reading the Neuromancer trilogy by William Gibson then one or two others of his. The sudden propulsion from nineteenth to twentieth/twenty-first century was compelling for someone very much in danger of forgetting what century they lived in.

I had a great time reading Gibson and liked the way his books seemed to blend into one another, even when they weren't part of the same trilogy. In fact, ask me which book is which and I simply couldn’t tell you. It’s Neuromancer world, is all.

So, why am I talking about Gibson? Well, because in Anna T's stories I suddenly found myself on the opposite side of the spectrum of thoroughly absorbing stories. Here were stories seemingly worlds apart from each other but ultimately bound by some finely wrought thematic threads.

Generically, though, they are cats and dogs apart! So, if variety is the spice of life, Gibson was my coriander and Anna T my sage.

Food for thought, anyone?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration