HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

college football 2007

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » college football 2007 « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
The Silence of the MinzLucius01-10-08  07:23 am
Bowl Pool?Sean Melican158 01-09-08  02:31 pm
Randy Moss betLucius10-29-07  10:53 am
Week SixLucius18 10-16-07  08:27 am
college week 4Lucius24 10-02-07  07:22 am
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 08:17 pm:   

It's here!

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 06:02 am:   

Kirk Herbstreit came within an inch of picking BC to win the ACC, which means we've still got a shot! :-)

Josh Rountree
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 06:50 am:   

Horns play Arkansas State on Saturday! The annual sacrificial slaughter to start the season.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 07:39 am:   

Yeah, BC...uh huh. :-)

Josh, and the schedule gets tougher after that, right...? :-)

Minz
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 07:59 am:   

Mmm boy, I can't wait. I tell ya, I'm so UP and down about the BADgers. Most days, I know they are legit BT champ contenders, and maybe even dark horse for NC. Other days, I look at the schedule and think they could lose 3 or 4 games, easy.

I'm more than a little pissed off about the lack of respect for PJ Hill. While some folks seem to have remembered he lead the Big Ten in yards last year (NOT Hart--in fact, Hill had fewer carries but more yards and more TDs than Hart), a lot of folks haven't. And I do realize Hart is a Senior, and Hill's a sophomore, but with 4 returning OL in front of him, Hill's going to have a big year. And yet there are tons of Heisman lists that don't have Hill on 'em, not even on the dark horse/longshot lists. Ridiculous. And FYI, Hill came into camp about 15 pounds lighter than last season, and looks a lot quicker. We'll see if that translates to more yards, and whether he'll be able to slip more tackles and not wear down as much over the course of the season.

Minz
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 08:14 am:   

Oh, and the SEC can kiss my sweet Big Ten arse. Here's some cold hard facts for ya SEC idjits:
the Big Ten had a 2-1 record against SEC teams in bowl games last season; an 8-6 record against SEC teams in bowl games the last five years; and 15 BCS berths to the SEC's 13. Oh, and the Big Ten teams have produced five Heisman Trophy winners in the past 15 years, compared to the SEC's one.

Yes, OSU was embarassed in the NC game. It was just one game. Not to mention it was after a FIFTY-ONE day layoff. That's right, hadn't played a game in more than eight weeks. Gee, I wonder how they could've come out flat...

Don't get me wrong, SEC is terrific. But the BT has been doing just fine, thank you very much. (And I didn't even mention how the Badgers beat the #2 SEC team each of the past two years, as underdogs, in the Cap One Bowl. Oops, maybe I did.)

Lucius
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 08:53 am:   

But the SEC's a tougher conference top to bottom and you know it.

How bout Mich-USC? That's two games.

The heisman...oh, please.

I think PJ Hill dropping weight is a big mistake. He's going to try and become a speed back overnight? C'mon! His strength is bowling folks over and he's hurt himself in that regard. I know what he says, and he'll still get 200 versus IU, but in the crush of big games...I think he won't be PJ Hill, but PJ Incline.

Minz
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 10:24 am:   

Blah, blah, blah. The proof is in the pudding. I'm not interested in which conference has better doormats. I'm interested in who wins bowl games. And while SEC gets the nod for last season's NC game, they lost the other two bowl games against BT. And let's be clear: that would be the Badgers, the #3 team in BT who upset the #2 SEC team, Ark. And the #4 Big Ten team, Penn St that upset the #3 SEC team Tenn. So I'm not certain what you mean, top to bottom. And, remember, that's 8-6, BT v SEC, in bowl games in the past five years. So I don't really care who'd win, Vandy or Illinois (though I'd bet on Ill) :-)

As for PJ, in truth, when I first heard about the dropped weight, I was wondering as well. But that wasn't muscle that he dropped off, so we'll see how he does--he'll at least be in better cardio shape. And while they talk about trying to convince him to pick his spots when he's running (i.e. you don't have to run over the defender if you're in the open field, you can try and make him miss), his instinct is all Larry Czonka, and not Barry Sanders. Which does make me nervous, because for the BADgers, Hill and our dbs are irreplacable this year. Pretty much all the rest of the team has depth. That being said, we'll have to be dang healthy if we're going to make a serious run (which is usually true any year--the team's in the hunt for NC are among a select pool of teams, and it's usually those teams in the pool that stay relatively healthy.)

I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best, but the reality is they'll probably be 11-1 maybe 10-2 (maybe even 9-3 if things really go bad). At OSU then home against Mich is bad enough, but at Penn St is dangerous (we've owned PSU for years, but they're a good team). And even at MN after the OSU-Mich back-to-back is a potential danger. We beat Mich, there could be a letdown. Mich whomps us, we could have a letdown.

But as a betting man, I'd go 11-1 (okay, as a BADger fan who's a betting man, I'd go 11-1, and 10-2 if I were just a betting man.)

Minz
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 10:39 am:   

Oh, and I'm talking about BT v SEC, not the rest of the country. I don't know why Mich has such problems playing the Pac 10. It's kind of pathetic, and it's been going on for years. (I still can't get over how Wisconsin was the first Big Ten team to win back-to-back Rose Bowls in 99 & 00. You would've thought Mich or OSU would've managed it at some point over their supposedly long and storied histories...)

And I'll be generous, and grant that the SEC, with 12 teams, has basically one better mid-level team than the Big T(elev)en. But that's all I'll concede. You can tout better athlete's and team speed all you want, but both Penn St and Wis beat SEC last Bowl Season because they dominated the trenches and played better as a team, plain and simple. And that's what football is about. Not to mention that the BT has been recruiting topnotch talent just as well (other than those guys who still can't spell their own names, but play in the SEC. :-))

In fact, one of the great highlights of last bowl season was when speedy RB McFadden (Heisman darling of many media) was run down from the opposite side of the field by Ikegwuonu. Saw plenty of speed and athleticism from BT on that play. Stopped him at the 9, Ark missed the FG, and the Badgers held mr heisman-leader to under 80 yards the rest of the day.

And remember that name: Jack Ikegwuonu. He'll be kicking ass on Sundays real soon.

Minz
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 10:41 am:   

Football Fever. Can you feel it?

And let's ask the age-old question: Which is better: College or Pro FB?

Lucius
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 10:59 am:   

Even for a Badger fan, college ball...

That legendary Victory over Arkansas, a team that had been whupped bad by Lsu, Fla, and USC -- Jesus, Minz. They were about the fifth or sixth best team in the SEC, a team that was down after losing the SEC championship, and you beat 'em by what? A point? Wisconsin would have trouble going .500 in the SEC.

Jack Iggwhatsit, nothwithstanding. If I were to list all the Gator and Cane pro prospects on the rosters, the list would get a tad long.

You can dwell on last year all you want -- I'll take the NC and a dominant Sugar Bowl over all yorur meaningless chitchat...

Minz
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 11:23 am:   

And the year before, when Auburn was favored by more than a touchdown, and still poor, slow, plodding Bucky somehow managed to win? C'mon, Lucius, it's not about following the string of who beat whom. It's about who wins when the chips are down. And in the last five years, that would be the Big Ten over the SEC by a record of 8-6. Because it's a team sport, and it's about controlling the line of scrimmage, first and foremost. All that talent in Miami hasn't done them much good in the last few years, now has it?

Lucius
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 11:31 am:   

No, but they had Coker.

It's not about following any goddamn string, that is, unless you're a cheesehead. it's about talent and circumstance and timing and a hundred other variables--it's about being able to see what's taking place on the field in front of you, and what I've seen makes it evident that the SEC is far and away the best conference...and it's just going to get better with all the coaching talent in the league.

Minz
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 12:34 pm:   

I can see where you'd draw the conclusion that UW would be 500 against SEC, since each time they've faced the SEC runnerup in the past two years, they've won. Clearly, a .500 club in that league. Why? Because they don't have enough convicts on the squad? Maybe, just maybe, the Badgers brand of ball, solid d that keeps the ball in front of them, tough OL play, ball control offense, just might win a few ball games. Especially since the SEC has proven they can't win tight games against the UW style--all I can base that on is what I saw on the field when the Badgers faced the SEC runnerup... (Okay, maybe I'm trying to get your goat just a little... :-))

Would they win it all? That'd be tough. But you know what, I think the Badgers have a pretty tough schedule against the BT this year, and I think they'd be in the thick of it if they were in the SEC as well. And the Badgers, like the much of the upper echelon of the Big Ten, have plenty of talent and speed. And get this: they play as a team...

You want evidence? Ron Zook has been recruiting great athletes to Illinois, and he's still finishing at the bottom of the league. Why? Maybe because it takes more than just athletic ability to win in the Big Ten?

Lucius
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   

The Sec runnner up means the team that lost the championship game, not the second best team. Let's go back three years to the first auburn matchup. I think that's why auburn lost the rematch==they were underwhelmed at the prospect of facing the badgers again...and that's why I picked then badgers to win.

Because zook can't coach. Are you suggesting that Meyer, Saban, Spurrier, Richt, Miles, etc, can't?

what was the BT in bowls last year? 2-5. Weak.

Minz
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 02:10 pm:   

I was wondering when you were going to get around to that 2-5 record... :-)

Of course, if the BT is weak, yet they went 2 and 1 against the SEC, that might just imply... :-)

I also think it's a bit weak to say a team just didn't get up for a New Year's Day Bowl game. Even weaker than saying that a team might come out flat after having a layoff of more than eight weeks (ala OSU)

Let's just say it's fun to have something to talk about, and man, I can't wait for Saturday. (The scrimmages happening before Sat don't count...)

Minz
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 02:28 pm:   

Time for Conference Champ Predictions:
Big Ten: BADGERS, BABY!!!
Pac10: USC
SEC: LSU
Big 12: TX
MAC: western Mich
WAC: Boise St
MWC: TCU
Big Least: I'm gonna go with Rutgers again (though in truth, they won't sneak up on anybody, so I kind of doubt this, but it's the Big Least, so I'm sticking with a weak pick for a BS conference)

ACC: FSU (I know, I know, but heck, the ACC looks weaker than the Big Least this year...)

Oh, and does anyone else think the Big Least is a wee bit overrated this year?

Lucius
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 02:37 pm:   

Big Ten--BaDg...oops. Meechigan.
Pac 10--USC
SEC -- FLA
Big 12 -- Okla
MAC -- Central Mich (Dan Lefevour, baby!)
WAC -- Boise State
MWC -- TCU
Bug East -- WVA though I really like Rutgers
ACC -- what the hell Miami

Yeah, the big east is as overrated as a certain conference to the midwest....

Minz
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 05:43 am:   

The MAC?

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 06:29 am:   

What? You don't like my central michigan pick? I like it. I repeat, Dan Lefevour...

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 07:25 am:   

oh...and did you see that a top usc rb transferred to fla...:-)

Minz
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 09:05 am:   

I was answering your comment about a "certain conference in the midwest".

As for the transfer, that is nice. Never cared that much for USC.
Oh, and Charlie Weis has started to lose his shine with the media (about time).

Can we just warp to Saturday morning, now?

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 09:22 am:   

Oh, yeah.

Charlie might lose more this season.

I'm looking forward to whatever game's on Thursday...

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 05:38 am:   

Lou Holtz was funny on College Gameday last week, predicting a ten-win season for ND...

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 06:27 am:   

Yeah, that was hilarious....

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 06:45 am:   

Lloyd Carr always loses an early game. Will this year he lose to Oregon...

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 11:21 am:   

My favorite college football joke:

What kind of car can never be taken on the road?

Lloyd Carr.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 11:39 am:   

Well, my favorite cf joke involves a hooker, Touchdown Jesus, and Charlie Weiss' fat pants, but Carr's not bad...

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   

I've always hated Carr ever since he said to that ABC sideline reporter, in response to a question about the wisdom of running out the clock before halftime "Now why would you ask me a stupid question like that?"

Classless.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 01:11 pm:   

On the scale of classless, that doesn't even break into my top twentyfive. Charlie Weiss banning reporters for discussing his weight--now that's classless and egomaniacal. I can't wait for Ga Tech to tear 'em apart...

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 02:14 pm:   

LSU-MISS ST tomorrow....

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 02:46 pm:   

Walkover?

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 03:40 pm:   

Yeah, but football and a chance to see the Tigers start their NC pursuit....

Minz
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 05:44 pm:   

Let's go BULLDOGS!!! Hey, the Tigers could all get food poisoning or something. Could make it a game...

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 07:11 pm:   

LSU ain't losin' to State....

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 09:26 am:   

My prediction: LSU get CROOMED!!!!

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 09:34 am:   

uh, wanna bet?

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 03:22 pm:   

No. I just wanted to go on record as inventing the term "croomed".

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 03:57 pm:   

You don't seem to have any competition

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 06:20 pm:   

So far LSU not looking that impressive. I'm beginning to like the Gators chances...

Highlight of the first half? When Miss Mississippi 2007 announced that last year's Bulldog team had miraculously lost 4 game by a total of three points.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 11:45 am:   

If Loyd Carr suceeds in losing to Ap State in the Big House, you can color him gone at the end of the year. That might be the best news Mich has had in years.

The way EC is running on Va Tech, VT will be out of their league at LSU

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   

Great BADger pass D! :-)

Mark Bukovec
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 12:54 pm:   

Go Cougs!!!

Appalachian State! WTF?

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 01:05 pm:   

Two words: Lloyd Carr

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 01:09 pm:   

Man, that Badger D! Back to back 80 yd drives. Y'know, Minz, I think we've seen all we need to see about the power of the Big 10

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 06:39 pm:   

Wisc giving up 250 yds to the 8th best tean in the Pac 10

Minnesota getting smacked by Bowling Green

Iowa showing Whatsit U who's boss

Mich losing a squeaker in the Big House

You were right, Minz. Color me impressed.

What conference can stand against the power of the Puny 10?

Minz
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 07:41 am:   

if you think I'm anything short of ecstatic about the boys from Boone coming up with the big upset, you really don't get me. goading you about the SEC is one thing, but a top-five ranked team losing to Div 1-AA? Priceless (as long as it isn't the BADgers losing, of course)

As for UW, the D started to pick up and made some solid adjustments--good coaching. I do think that WA St could finish better than #8, if they stay healthy. That was a good qb, and a couple of good receivers. They'll upset some folks in pac 10, I bet.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 07:59 am:   

Yeah, like STanford.

WSU had nothing on defense. Looking at the Big Ten this year, it's weaker than last year, gruesomely bad. Wisc may well go undeefeated, but then they're just gonna get their ass embarrassed in the BCS....

Gotta love Ga Tech, though...

Minz
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 08:02 am:   

Two more things: if that blocked punt doesn't bounce right back to the punter & go for the first down, it'd probably been a lot less competitive. Despite absolutely atrocious special teams, we won going away.
I'm glad Bielema didn't try and pad the score at the end, even though from a poll standpoint, he should've gone for the end zone at the end.

And most importantly: HOW 'BOUT THOSE GOLDEN SHOWERS? Did you catch Flutie at half time, saying that ND better be careful or they could end up 0-8? That actually was even better than the record-breaking upset...

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 08:13 am:   

They moved the ball on you the entire game...and they'll maybe win 4 games. Face it.

ND may go 0-8, but then they play Michigan. Imagine if Willingham was still there. They might be putting on bedsheets and burning crosses...

I was most impressed with BC yesterday. They may actually win something this year.

Minz
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 12:54 pm:   

After the first two drives, WSt went 168 yards in 43 plays, a 3.9-yard average on 9 drives. I'd hardly call that dominant. It's not great, but on the offensive side, WSt is pretty good (they'll lose because their d is young and suspect, to say the least). I expected better from the Badger D, but then again, new middle lb and two new safeties, WSt was smart to spread and run. took a while for the kids to figure it out/coaches get them aligned right. Again, I'm not thrilled, but there's going to be a learning curve, and this'll be good teaching tool for the team--we've always had more problems with the spread than any other set. The key will be whether they keep getting better (like last season.)

I was also disappointed in PJ Hill. I thought maybe he'd be quicker with the lower weight, but no. The kid's a tough runner, but he just doesn't have another gear. I hope Lance Smith gets his act together, because he's clearly the more talented runner. He's just been woefully inconsistent, and immature off the field (small disciplinary stuff last year, this summer--kids not breaking any laws, but team rules, lazy in practice unless you ride him, etc.)

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 01:42 pm:   

I was going to mention Hill--for once we agree--Smith's much more talented. Hill has a minimal NFL future.

We'll see how well Donovan plays when he goes againnst a real D. If, indeed, there is one in the Big 10....

Did you catch any of BC-Wake?

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 06:12 pm:   

Clemson 21-zip, early sec...Sweet!

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 07:12 am:   

I saw only the highlights of BC-Wake. Matt Ryan supposedly looked good. I can't believe I went to bed at 24-3 and Bowden Bowl turned into an actual game.

I don't know what was sweeter: Mich losing to App State or Traitor O'Brien and NC State getting waxed by C. Florida.

Shame on all these "big time" programs who warm up their seasons by scheduling all those AA cupcake games. It was only a matter of time before one of them got overconfident and suffered a program-shaming humiliation. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy than Lloyd.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 07:52 am:   

"I don't know what was sweeter..."

C Florida's a good ist division team. There's no comparison. As far as Carr, there are lot more arrogant coaches.

How sweet was that pasting the Golden Homos took, huh?

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 08:45 am:   

that was disappointing, but not unexpected.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 09:12 am:   

Disappointing? Just wait'll this week!

I'd be surprised if C Florida wasn't favored against NC State

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 08:21 pm:   

Why we hate....

<object><param></param><param></param><embed></embed></object>

Notre Dame

What they do at the Grotto? Sell indulgences?

Minz
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 07:51 am:   

On Wisconsin, On Wisconsin
Grand Old Badger State!

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 08:30 am:   

who?

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 11:46 am:   

In Wisconsin, they're despondent,
'cause the Badger's been raped
by the UNLV Rebel's sixty-six to eight...

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 01:04 pm:   

Bad Uni Bowl 2007:

Oregon State vs. Syracuse

Lucius
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 01:18 pm:   

Bad team bowl...

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 09:05 pm:   

Hey. Minz...another dominating week for the Big Ten, huh. Life and death with Nevada. Oh yeah. Them Badgers are mighty. Other teams life and death with BG, Akron, etc. Then there's Michigan. What a sad fucking conference. I think the ACC might be a tad better.

Good luck, man...

ccfinlay
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 05:40 pm:   

From top to bottom, I've never seen the Big Ten look worse than they do this year. Could be a loooooong season out here.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 05:51 pm:   

Yeah, it's looking bad...

And if ND beats Mich, whoa!

Next year, when Les Miles comes to Michigan, things will improve. ;)

Minz
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 07:16 am:   

Blah, blah, blah.

1) I know I shouldn't be enjoying the Michigan losses this much, but I can't help myself. I've been grinning ear-to-ear.

2) I can live with a tough, grind-it-out win in an away game with a 10pm (relative) start time, whose kickoff temp was still 98 degrees. Unlike last season, we started the year with a good ranking, so all that really matters is that we win.

3) I think UW, Penn St and Ohio State are all good ball clubs. We'll see if the teams get better over the course of the year. (Right now, both UW and OSU need to have their offenses get better, but that's what coaching and playing all these games is all about--it's always about the teams that improve over the course of the year.)

Oh, and how 'bout those Hurricanes?

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 07:48 am:   

Michigan had a chance to circle the wagons and prove the App State game was a flukey letdown. But their ass-whipping at the hands of Oregon should have been even worse than it was.

I think the Wolvies might be overrated at #40 or wherever they've plummeted to this week.

Suddenly, Mich-ND looks like a good game.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 08:25 am:   

The canes suck, but it's going to take a while to replenish the talent, They made a good start this year--top ten in recruiting. And they were playing some one a tad better than Nevada. I'm sorry it was so hot for those big steroid-fed eunuchs. :-)

Mich-ND a good game? A close game, maybe, but a good game?

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 08:27 am:   

Like two sagging heavyweights staging a desperate crossroads fight to see whose career continues another bout. Lots of human drama.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 08:47 am:   

yeah, sorta. But then I don't intend to watch Peter-Maskaev either.

Josh Rountree
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 01:13 pm:   

Horns won but Oklahoma is looming like a buzzsaw on the horizon. I hope we can figure out how to score in the first half before we play them.

Big 12 had a good week, though the hapless Aggies nearly lost to Fresno State. Can't wait to see an equally hapless Miami team smoke them next week.

The big game in the Big 12 next week is USC at Nebraska. The Huskers don't have a chance.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 02:11 pm:   

The Big 1 had a good week, the other 11...enh! :-)

I don't think the Cornholer's have a shot, but that Idaho score keeps popping up. Best I've seen so far? Easy. LSU.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 02:04 pm:   

Texas - UCF, Neb -USC, Louisville-Kentucky, all on at the same time. OSU-Wash, Fla-Tenn, BC-Ga Tech, all on at the same time. And the morning games bite. What's up with that?

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 03:11 pm:   

Is OSU Oklahoma or Ohio?

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 03:38 pm:   

Ohio State--they're walking into a woodshed at Washington.

Minz
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 08:06 pm:   

Wait, you think UW v The Citadel is gonna bite? C'mon, the rivalry between the Big Ten and Div 1-AA has been kicked up another notch this year... :-)

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 09:06 pm:   

Well, I wouldn't look past em, man. :-)

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 05:57 am:   

Didn't the Citadel beat the Razorbacks once?

Minz
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 03:28 pm:   

I think the App St win, and last week's poor showing should take care of that. As well as having Lance Smith available (he's suspended for all road games)

Lucius
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 03:46 pm:   

Oh, it's a home game! Then I like the Badgers to sneak by...

Minz
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 07:17 pm:   

LOL. Citadel did just spank Webber International 76 to 0 or something like that. But I'm containing my dread pretty well... :-)

Lucius
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 07:22 pm:   

What the hell is the Citadel team called?

Yeah, you may get by them, but Furman now...

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 06:58 am:   

The most interesting games for me today are Ga Tech-BC, which unfortunately has no TV, and Kentucky-Lville. Both are possible upsets, and Ky-Lville should be a shootout.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 08:08 am:   

BC-Ga Tech is on ESPN2 and Louisville-KY on ESPN classic.

Minz
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 08:42 am:   

Ky-Louisville (is this an intrasquad image--I'm so confused) should probably have a 3-digit over-under.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 08:59 am:   

Interesting to watch because these'll be the top two QBs drafted,

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 10:22 am:   

He-he-he. Citadel 14, Wisc 14 near halftime. He-he-he. Big 10, my ass!

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 10:43 am:   

21-21. Take heart, Minz. After all, the only team to beat the Citadel in their last seven games was Appalachian State... :-)

Minz
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 11:00 am:   

Man, I thought the BADgers were a legit top ten team, maybe even top five coming into the season, but obviously I was deluding myself. Losing the MLB and 2 safeties was much bigger deal than I expected. Let's just hope the players show improvement, or we have somebody on the bench who can step up. Or it's going to be a loooong season.

I will hold out hope for improvement on the defensieve (not a typo) side of the ball, since that's what happened last season as well. But Iowa next week could be a rude awakening. Thankfully, they don't run the spread, the BT's kryptonite...

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 12:07 pm:   

The big ten is lame this year--you could go undefeated but for your sake I hope you don't, because the BCS will kill you.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   

Who's worse, the Big 10 or the ACC? Me, I'll say the 10. The ACC has two decent teams, at least. The Big East is better than both.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 12:22 pm:   

SEC, SEC, SEC!

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=AqjCJOG6xjhQxKON_YGVIeCQ1LYF?slug=uwire-secleadsotherconferencesin&prov=uw ire&type=lgns <http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=aqjcjog6xjhqxkon_ygviecq1lyf?slug=uwire-secleadsotherconferencesin&amp;pro v=uwire&amp;type=lgns>

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 12:27 pm:   

Iowa's down 12-0

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 03:40 pm:   

FLA ATLANTIC 42 Minn 39
Iowa St. 15 Iowa 12

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 07:45 pm:   

Life is sweet. The gators blow out Tennessee and ND gets blown out. Yes...

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 09:04 pm:   

Duke, who hadn't won since 2005, broke the losing streak on the Northwestern's home field.

Big 10, Big 10, Big 10!

:-)

Jeff VanderMeer
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 07:14 pm:   

What the #*(&*(!&! is happening to the Gators?!?!?

JeffV

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 09:06 am:   

OK, I'll be the first to admit: BC at #4 is kinda krazy.

Dave G.
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 02:36 pm:   

First BCS poll: BC at #3.

This season is so screwy....why not BC?

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 02:55 pm:   

I think the gators are doing fine. They'll be awesome next year. This year, defense is too young, no running backs. But if they beat Ky, they can still win the sec....They should have beat LSU, but made too many mistakes.

Who's number 1.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 08:49 am:   

#1. Ohio State
#2 South Florida
#3. BC
#4. LSU
#5. Oklahoma

I haven't seen OSU yet this year, but I think BC can play with USF.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 09:48 am:   

Ohio State's a little worse than last year. :-)

South Florida has a road win at Auburn and a home win against WVU--they should be number 1.

ccfinlay
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 09:56 am:   

I haven't seen OSU yet this year,

Nobody has. The defense has been stifling so far, but they haven't been tested. Check back in five weeks and we'll have some idea if this team's any good.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 10:03 am:   

BC has the toughest sched going down the stretch. If SF wins it all, they will be the first NC winner to ever take the field against Elon Phoenix College...

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 10:39 am:   

I think OSU may make it to the final game and get their ass handed them. The toughest team OSU has played is Purdue and to stifle the likes of Minnestota, NW, Kent ST, Akron, etc., is no big woof. The Big 10 has been nowhere near a top conference the last few year and I doubt they will be tested before the season ends. I think LSU will make it and beat them up.

BC loses at Va Tech. South Fla probably drops an away game, maybe at Louisville

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 11:12 am:   

Experience teaches that you are probably right about BC. Since I am a grad, I will take a slightly more optimistic tack. I will say that Blacksburg will be my litmus test. How they play will determine whether they rise to their contender status, or crash as a pretender. If they beat VT, then I will remain open to the possibility of them running the table.

If I was a betting man, I would bet on both BC and USF, who are not used to breathing the air up there, to falter and for OSU to play LSU or OU in the final shootout.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 11:38 am:   

LSU kills OSU or OU...OU a little closer. Or BC for that matter. :-)

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 11:43 am:   

If BC got into the national title game, that would be more than an Eagles fan ever had a right to expect.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 11:57 am:   

Well, there is that. It's all ridiculous. They have to have a playoff.

Robert Brown
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 03:06 pm:   

I think a good hammering of OSU by LSU would be fun to watch. Might wake people up to the failures of the "new regime." I like to watch good football. I don't care about National Champion stuff, maybe because I don't have a "team." Just put good games on the field and i'm happy. I remember the second half of last year's OK and Boise game fondly. Crazy mad football shenanigans with drama and heroics and bad defense. Loved it. I want more of that and less of the micro-management to arrange a championship game. Give me the MI/OSU game over the FL/OSU game any day, crappy defense and all.

Ah, I'm still bitter I don't get to watch much these days...

Speaking of which, how 'bout those Wildcats? That's a team I could root for. Who'da thunk they'd beat the best team in the country (even at home, in OT, with a little ref help)?

God bless 'em, and god bless football. sniff

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 03:57 pm:   

KY's going down this week, man! To the Gators.

Robert Brown
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 05:36 pm:   

It'd be hard to pull off two in a row. Are they in the Swamp?

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 06:35 pm:   

In KY but Fla's coming off a bye...

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 01:38 pm:   

This season just continues to get more and more surreal.

OK, I realize that Lucius has deep-seated BC issues (although 23 years is an awfully long time to hold a grudge) and that the odds of the Eagles fulfilling the promise of a "dream season" are astronomical, but...

USF gags on its #2 BCS rating on a week that BC has a bye. Ohio State takes on an erratic, but talented Michigan State team. It is conceivable that by the time the cock crows on Monday, Boston College could be the #1 team in the land. I feel like I just jumped down the rabbit hole.

Before you guys decide to eviscerate me, just step back and let me type a terrifying sentence that I will never again have the opportunity to type:

Boston College controls its destiny; if the Eagles win out, they play for the national championship.

Beware of flying pigs, folks...

Lucius
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 01:53 pm:   

Actually UCF didn't gag as much as they got reffed out of the game. The officiating was incredibly one-sided.

Well, if BC gets ranked no. 1, more power to 'em, but I think they lose in Blacksburg,

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 02:24 pm:   

Being the fatalist, I agree they will stumble at some point.

I suppose there's always the possibility that they could become like the fighter who grows into a title belt, eh?

Lucius
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 02:45 pm:   

Yeah, maybe so, but I think they lose at Blacksburg and at Clemson.

Minz
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 08:24 pm:   

Screw the fatalism, Dave. WALLOW IN THE GLORY!!! And know that this week, no way BC can screw anything up!

Lucius
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 09:06 pm:   

How bout them Badgers, huh? Wallow, Minz, Wallow... :-)

Minz
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 07:53 am:   

I knew we were living on a wing and a prayer. and when we lost our two starting 5th-year WR to injury, we weren't going to be able to keep up offensively.

But what's up with you & SF? Don't get me wrong, I like the team, loved they were ranked so hi, but TH night, if it weren't for Rutgers muffing a couple of punts the game wouldn't have been close. Blaming the refs is pretty lame.... :-)

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 08:38 am:   

Hey, it wasn't the big calls that bothered me, it's like the preponderance of penalties--they were looking to call everything on UCF. When the last time you saw three penalty flags land on nearly the same spot for a borderline call? I don't have any special feeling for UCF, except for their Floridaness, but that was serious home cooking.

Minz
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 11:38 am:   

Now silly me, I wouldn't see three flags drop and think it's a borderline call...

Finally, the BADgers are kickin' some tail. The losing streak was exactly what they needed to shake off the funk. I'm actually looking forward to OSU and Michigan, since we'll be the underdogs with nothing to lose.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 11:51 am:   

Northern Ill? Ever think the big ten might be better if they played somebody?

It was borderline. It wouldn't have been called on a neutral field.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 05:10 pm:   

Tee-bow, Tee-bow!

Robert Brown
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 08:16 pm:   

I think the earth would have cracked open and swallowed Lex if KY had won that game on top of the LSU game. They've earned their bowl, whichever bowl they get.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 08:40 pm:   

Brooks has done a great job. Now watch Spurrier or Saban upset the Gators....The SEC is a nightmare now.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 09:21 am:   

LSU-Auburn! Great game!

Minz
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   

Sure it was only Northern Illinois, but it's the first time this year we've dominated a team we should've dominated. First time all three phases played a great game. And it was just the confidence builder we needed (and could've used earlier this season).

Also, while NIU stinks this year, this team finished first or second in their division for five of the last six seasons. When we set this game up, they were conference champs. Still just a MAC squad, but they haven't been MAC doormats since the 90s.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 01:33 pm:   

I repeat, don't you think it would serve them better if they played a decent team? They might lose, but would learn a lot and it would toughen them up for the conference race...

That seems the congenital problem with the Big 10. Back when Bo was coaching, they would lose the Rose Bo almost every year because they so rarely played outside their region.

Minz
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 09:28 pm:   

You're right, to a point. Depending upon your squad, a tougher nc schedule can make a lot of sense. If you're young and inexperienced, there's something to be said for pounding patsies and building team confidence and chemistry. But if you're a vet squad, then it's worth testing the team early. But getting pounded at the beginning of the season with a young squad could be devastating for a season.

That being said, I definitely do think it'd be better to have one real test in the noncon sked.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 10:02 pm:   

You don't have to play lsu or fla or oregon or usc--somebody like UCLA, somebody with a well-coached offense, with whom you'd have a chance to win, somebody who'd give a real test and school your defence. It has to happen. The big ten is getting dangerously close to being a joke. I say that knowing that if OSU gets the right match-up and goes undefeated in the conference, they could win the NC. But they're no better than a mid-level team in the SEC...

Robert Brown
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 06:04 am:   

There's noise aboot that LSU was crazy to go for the TD at the end of the Auburn game, but really a field goal isn't a sure thing in college. And while I agree that 3 points wins the game, you have to admit that 6 points wins the game too.

I like to see some risk-taking out there.

That said, I'd probably have gone for the field goal... and missed the glory!

OSU is definitely mediocre+ this year, a step down from last year's good-.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 08:41 am:   

And look at their schedule. PSU is only the second mediocre team they;ve played. The rest have been crap.

Miles is an idiot. That shit's gonna bite him in the ass.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 07:57 pm:   

Well, win or lose, BC's awful, awful. 7-10m 2 minutes left. I've got to leave. Matt Ryan lost a lot of money tonight.

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 07:37 am:   

He must have been listening to you because he just earned it back with interest.

I'm not going to crow. BC underachieved for 55:00 and I went to bed after Ryan threw the pick deep in BC territory with 5:00 left. I was stunned, thunderstruck, dumbfounded, to see that we pulled it out.

As every follower of college football knows, in a dramatic come from behind win, you can toss out the first 55:00. All poll voters will remember is the finish.

This may be our year. BC has always had trouble taking the step up in big games. I've never seen a team that had more reason and opportunity to roll over and play dead than BC last night. And they didn't. Maybe they actually believe they can play like the second best team in America. It bodes well.

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 07:59 am:   

And it must be said, the Eagles also beat an officiating crew on the field and in the booth that did their level best to hand VT the win on a bonehead call that 9 of 10 five-year olds would have gotten right.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 09:11 am:   

Well, I don't care who's in the NC game if it ain;t the Gators or the Canes, but it'll be a travesty if OSU and BC get in.

"He must have been listening to you because he just earned it back with interest.

No, sorry. Just watched the highlights. Only reason they won was Beamer's D started playing soft. Ryan was fucking horrid even on the last drive. Most of his passes were lobs that would have bee ints in th eNFL. That was as bad a performance as I can recall by a Heisman candidate.

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 09:48 am:   

I'm still encouraged. BC can play a crummy game and still beat a top ten team on its home field. That is not something previously seen in Chestnut Hill.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 09:55 am:   

And don;t give me the home cooking deal--every team in the NCAA has to deal with that.

The BC offense had 112 yds total offense until Beamer went to the prevent--they had 157 yds in the last four minutes. That's 157 against a three-man rush. It was pathetic. BC may be ranked first after the weekend. Bring back the days of BYU winning it all. I hope this persuades the BCS to add at least an "and one" game.

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 10:09 am:   

I can't recall a TD call as poor as that one being blown by both the field and replay refs. True, BC ain't the only team that has to deal with stinko calls, but that one had particular significance in a top ten game that was being decided by 7-10 points for most of the night.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 10:52 am:   

You can't recall a call that bad? I remember three crucial calls that bad in the Fla-:LSU game, a game between 2 and three, one played on a signfificantly higher level.

I also saw a number of holdng calls on BC that weren't called. Their O-line is a joke. If they play anyone with decent team speed, which they probably won't, they'll get killed. Even Miami, who has no offense, has a shot. This was a way subpar Va Tech team, playing without their best two defensive players. Forget the calls. That O-line, Ryan's lack of poise when pressure, the inability to run consistently, coming off a two TD win over a feeble ND team--BC is seriously overrated. I'd love to see you play a decent SEC team. ALabama, for instance, would be a nightmare for you guys. That said, best of luck and pray you don't get LSU.

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 10:59 am:   

I'll read that as "congratulations"...:-)

Lucius
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 11:41 am:   

Well, you guys suck, but yeah... :-)

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 11:38 am:   

Alas, the BC title dream is dead. Who would be so churlish as to say "I told you so?"

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 08:53 am:   

FWIW, I have enjoyed this season, with the constant shuffling of teams in the merry-go-round of rankings. Where she stops nobody knows. More fun than having one or two teams steamroller everybody.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 09:05 am:   

BC f***ed again.

ACC runner-up plays earlier in the bowl season than four lower-ranked ACC teams, including three we beat up on during the regular season.

How many years are these damn bowl selection peckerwoods gonna crap on the Nawthun bawz?

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 10:20 am:   

Gotta feel bad for WVU. First Pitt knocks them out of the NC game, then they lose their coach to U Mich.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 08:04 am:   

Free Shoes University strikes again...

LLAHASSEE, Fla. Two athletic department academic assistance employees have resigned and 23 Florida State University athletes were implicated in cheating on tests given over the Internet, school officials said Wednesday.
The athletes represent nine sports and 17 of the students are or have been on scholarship. Officials could not identify the students and could not say which sports are involved because of federal confidentiality restrictions.

University President T.K. Wetherell reported the findings in a letter to the NCAA. He indicated inquires are continuing although an internal investigation failed to find conclusive evidence of a more widespread pattern of cheating.

The students could face punishment from the university and NCAA including loss of eligibility. The NCAA also could sanction the university, but spokesman Erik Christianson said it would be speculative and declined comment.

"I think the school took appropriate action," said Jim Smith, chairman of the university's board of trustees and a former Florida attorney general. "It's unfortunate something like this could happen."

Wetherell ordered an investigation by the university's Office of Audit Services in May after receiving information an athletics department learning specialist had directed one athlete to take an online quiz for another and then provided the answers.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 08:06 am:   

BTW, fuck West Virginia. ESPN is reporting that Rodriguez left because they would not raise the pay of his assistants.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 10:44 am:   

Q: What does a motorist get for driving too far below the speed limit in Tallahassee?

A: A Bachelor's degree.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 10:50 am:   

:-)

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 12:52 pm:   

The Canes landed the no 1 LB prospect in the country. Watch out! They're coming back!!

Dave G.
Username: Dave_g

Post Number: 1406
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 06:54 am:   

Miami's recruiting class generally gets high marks...

Lucius
Username: Lucius

Post Number: 7079
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 09:18 am:   

Tops in the country this year!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |