HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Good Movies 62

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » Good Movies 62 « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Shaun Ellis on GMAVikki602-01-09  08:36 am
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lucius
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 07:29 am:   

Start here.

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 07:35 am:   

They had the guy who lives with wolves on GMA this morning. He seems smart and articulate, not a crazy Treadwell type. The wolves he lives with are animals he raised from pups; also, they live in a controlled nature-preserve environment. He seems a bit more scientific-minded than Treadwell, who was just trying to escape from human society.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 07:44 am:   

That's kinda a relief. We don't need another eco-martyr.

Brendan Connell
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 02:10 pm:   

Anyone seen Getting Home? A pretty good Chinese film about a guy having to take the dead body of his friend back to his village at Three Gorges.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 02:17 pm:   

I haven't seen it, but i want to, partially because the last film I saw about the three gorges, Still Lives, was so good and caused me to become fascinated with the region.

Brendan Connell
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 02:20 pm:   

Well, only the end of the film actually takes place there. But there is some great photography of a number or rural regions of China. The film is a bit like that one about the farmer taking his tractor across the US. Slow, relatively dry humor. Anyhow, I enjoyed it.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 02:35 pm:   

Sounds like my kind of film.

PM
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 08:36 pm:   

Watched Painkiller Jane which was what I expected it to be: fairly awful.

On the other hand, Turtles Can Fly was captivating.

david h
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 08:47 am:   

Yo, been preoccupied with work recently, but wanted to say thanks for the zombie movie recommendations a ways back - I hadn't heard of some of them, but I'm a Romer lover.

Also, LOST was somewhat less shitty than normal on Wednesday, but I still felt like a jerk for watching it. The real mystey about that show is how it managed to erode my will power so easily.

And I saw ZODIAC last night - liked it a lot. But I think I'm more into FIncher's work than most on this board. That said, it was pretty different than his other stuff.

There: you're all caught up. ;)

Nathan Ballingrud
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 08:33 pm:   

I'm sure these two flicks have already been squat-humped on these boards, but I saw 300 and Grindhouse last week; 300 is breathtakingly awful, whereas Grindhouse just put me to sleep. I plan to see The Host Monday afternoon. Maybe that'll wash the bad taste out.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 08:51 pm:   

The Host should do the trick...

Lisa Goldstein
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 10:01 am:   

Okay, Lucius, so you were right about Equilibrium. Cliched, predictable, and although I saw it last night I can't remember exactly how it ended. Next time I'll listen to you. Well, probably not ...

And my last word on Lost (until next week, anyway) -- Based on the last few episodes, I think they do have a plan for where it's going, but they only seem to have enough material for this season and the next. So it'll be fun to watch until then, and then you'll see the writers desperately trying to come up with something new so they can keep their jobs.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 03:44 pm:   

About movies, I'm usually right, Lisa. :-)

"So it'll be fun to watch until then..."

so innnocent, so pure, such an easy sell. It may be fun for you, but not for me.

The last episode was strictly a ratings move. Now they can do many boring episodes in a row. Many..

Robert Devereux
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 04:38 pm:   

I remember my friends saying that Equilibrium was better than the Matrix (damning with faint praise). It was OK as mindless entertainment, but the story didn't work too well, and for a society that banished emotion, they sure showed a lot of it. Did the actors understand they were supposed to be emotionless?

This week's Lost will focus on Desmond, and his previous one was the best this season. I think that means this one won't be good. Only a few more episodes this season, I feel like I've invested so much time now that watching the rest won't hurt.

Since I let Netflix lapse, I've seen very few movies. I feel tempted to start up again.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 05:04 pm:   

Yeah, that was hilarious, all these people yelling and shit in emotionless city, and it was so obviously derivative of Farenheit 451...

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 06:43 am:   

I watched PHANTASM again on Sunday. 30 years later, I suppose it doesn't look like any great shakes, but it's a nice artifact from a better age of horror, when filmmakers weren't afraid to be weird and psychotronic. It holds your interest. And those flying drill balls are still pretty cool. Also saw a filmed-on-video indie called GHOSTS OF EDENDALE that was by Stefan Avalos, the guy who did THE LAST BROADCAST (supposedly a big BLAIR WITCH influence). Crude and low budge, natch, but decent performances and a fairly interesting premise. With a zippo fx budget, he managed to actually wring a little subtlety out of the material. I'd like to see what the guy could do with a real budget.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 06:46 am:   

Sad to say, he'd probably make a worse movie.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 07:04 am:   

I remember little from Phantasm since I saw it as a kid. I do remember that it creeped me out in a way that other horror movies didn't.

Lisa Goldstein
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 09:24 am:   

"...so obviously derivative of Fahrenheit 451 ..." And 1984, and Matrix... And you're right, if these people weren't supposed to feel any emotion, why did they take so much pleasure in kicking other people around?

I'm still right about Lost, though. :-)

Alan frackelton
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 09:29 am:   

The Tall Man stalked me through a couple of dreams after I saw Phantasm the first time. But I did think the flying silver death ball thing was pretty cool.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 05:29 am:   

The foot has not reappeared on Lost, but I liked this episode. Desmond episodes have been the best so far this season. It opens up the possibility of getting off the island (perhaps at the end of next season). Besides the plot development, it has some interaction of the characters, and the show is much more interesting when that happens.

Apparently they are not doing a flashback free episode, but the May 2 episode will only flashback to stuff that occurred while they were on the island. So it will be like that Claire episode from last season.

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 10:58 am:   

So, get this, it turns out that in the kooky "menacing" snapshots that the Korean VT shooter sent to NBC News, he was actually mimicking scenes from OLDBOY. Look for media crackdown on "violent, subversive" Asian films, any day now...

PM
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   

Maybe they'll ban the American remake :-)

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 07:52 pm:   

Jd or Brendan, know anything about Shango? Also, know anything about two Italian thrillers, Almost Blue and Hate 2 0.

Jean-Daniel Breque
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 10:21 pm:   

Hi, Lucius. The people at the Spaghetti Western Web Board all agree: they thought "Shango" was a so-so movie until they watched this new, restored DVD: it's a neat little movie, they say.
JD

jk
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 10:52 pm:   

Lucius, you've seen Lifespan with Klaus Kinski right? I assume the film probably sucks, but do you remember if the soundtrack is any good? It's by Terry Riley and they've just released it on cd with another rare soundtrack he did.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 11:12 pm:   

Thanks, JD...

JK, yup--sucked. I saw that Riley did the s/t before watching the movie, but the movie was so bad I didn't finish it and didn't pay attention to the music. Sorry.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 06:22 am:   

A Man Among Wolves - Shaun Ellis is definitely obsessed, and the objects of his obsession are wolves. I don't think he's unhinged, I just can't share the depths of his obsession. Timothy Treadwell seemed detached from reality in a way
that Ellis isn't.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 06:39 am:   

Saw THE BIG GUNDOWN on Encore recently. Love Van Cleef, but it really made me appreciate what a good filmmaker Leone was. Other SWs can't stand up.

Jean-Daniel Breque
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 11:27 am:   

Re THE BIG GUNDOWN: lucky me, I've got the COMPLETE version of this movie. The cuts done for international release at the time have mutilated it. Caveat viewer.
I think the only complete version avalaible in English (with some scenes in Italian with English subs) is the Franco Cleef DVD Reconstruction, avalaible from Xploited Cinema.
JD

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   

Some things I saw this wknd:

Seems that every wknd AM one of the premium cable channels shows David LaChapelle's RIZE, which continues to impress me with its virtuoso cinematography and great s/t.

Watched SHERRYBABY on DVD, which I found surprisingly good. Thought it was frank in its depiction of Maggie Gylenhaal's addiction and abuse, without being either exploitative or sentimental. Good lead performance, and the ending had the ring of honesty.

Also saw an oddity from the early 70s called LET'S SCARE JESSICA TO DEATH (one of those movies I remember seeing scary tv ads for as a child, but which I never got to see). Haunting use of the rural ct landscape in a crude, low budget but eerily shot and effective tale of a recovering psychotic being driven mad by a squatter who may or may not be a vampire. I love drive in films like this that show unexpected flashes of subtlety/artistry.

Huw
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 01:05 pm:   

I love LET'S SCARE JESSICA TO DEATH. The lake scene, in particular, is memorably eerie. And how about those mysterious bandaged townsfolk. They don't make 'em like that anymore...

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 01:54 pm:   

There's something about a directorial style that doesn't call attention to itself...it's like watching home movies, and the effect is really unsettling.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 02:53 pm:   

I like the sequel. Let's Scare Jessica Simpson To Death And Bury Her In The Backyard Like A Pet Turtle.

PM
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 03:43 am:   

Watched Torment which is one of the films from Eclipse's early Bergman series. Bergman didn't direct this one. He only wrote it.

Sort of odd to think that WW II was raging during the time this film was created.

Acting styles were different then and anyone watching it is likely to quickly pick up on it.

I, of course, could not help but pick up on Pelle, the kitten whose cameo is critical for the film :-)

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 06:00 am:   

Once were a director by the name of Lee Tamahori, who made a movie, a very good movie, entitled =Once Were Warriors=, a powerful character study of a deracinated Maori family in the dead-end slums of Aukland. But that was a long, long time ago, back before he moved from New Zealand to Hollywood, started hanging out at LA fetish clubs, and began churning out pictures like =XXX: State of the Union=, =Die Another Day=, and =Along Came A Spider=. Now Tamahori has turned his deracinated talent to a Phillip K. Dick property, =The Golden Man=, a film that has been entitled (exemplifying the fund of imagination that studios employ in such matters) =Next=. Imagine that title spoken by a harried counter clerk at Burger Death, his face covered by a film of grease that nourishes a fresh crop of acne, and you will have some idea of how the quirky Dickian notions of free will, perception, and the nature of reality have been handled in the film. But enough has been said about Hollywood’s bowdlerization of Dick, the neutering of everything vital in his work in the service of creating high concept-driven action pictures; so let’s skate past that topic and go right to the heart of the matter.
Whereas Dick’s original story dealt with a golden-skinned mutant and a government paranoid about his pre-cog abilities, =Next= tells the story of Chris Johnson (Nicholas Cage), a man who’s earning a marginal living as small-time gambler and a magician with a Vegas lounge act, aided in these pursuits by his ability to see two minutes into his future. Into his nebbish life comes FBI Agent Callie Ferris, played by Julianne Moore, a fine actress who here seems to be taking on a role that Joan Allen rejected and not relishing it at all. She’s desperate to have Johnson’s help in tracking a gang of Eurotrash terrorists who’ve stolen a ten-kiloton nuke and are determined to blow up LA, an idea I came to have a certain empathy with during the movie. Why they want to do this is unclear, as is why Agent Ferris thinks Johnson can help (I mean, you can’t do that much in the way of stopping nuclear explosions in two minutes), as is how she found out about him…as is damn near everything else in the picture. Jessica Biel is along for the ride as Liz, who teaches Native American kids on the reservation and whom Johnson has seen in a vision and believes is key to his future. With her by his side, he can see more than two minutes into the future, a whole lot more, and this allows for a plot twist so outrageously clichéd that it almost works…but nothing really works in this movie. It’s basically a chase scene strung together with chunks of exposition and a sliver of love scene during which Cage stares at Biel like an addled goat wearing Tom Hanks’ hairdo from =The Da Vinci Code=.
Cage is on quite a roll quality-wise with his last few pictures. First there was =The Wicker Man=, a film that surely will go down as a classic of unintentional humor (Cage in a bear suit, Ellen Burstyn as a bee-woman). And then there was =Ghost Rider=. When that icon of the sinister and the macabre, Peter Fonda, plays the Devil, you know a movie is in trouble. It is jaw-droppingly horrid. Cage does an Elvis impression for half his screen time, and wears a flaming skull for the other half. The skull is by far the better actor. I fantasized about taking the audience hostage, subjecting them to a course in Godard-style guerrilla cinema, and sending the best students on a suicide mission to Studio City. =Next= falls somewhere between the two…and can’t get up. It’s substanceless, flat, and totally uninvolving.
Afterward, I went to see Hot Fuzz, partially as an antidote. I'm happy to say that it worked.

jk
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 10:36 am:   

Sounds about as good as Paycheck. I'm at the point where I can't stomach the big fat head in anything. He's such a bad actor. From the tiny clip I saw of Ghost rider, it looks laughably bad too.

jk
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 11:11 am:   

They should pay you double for any reviews of movies with Cage in them. I think watching a Cage movie qualifies as cruel and unusual punishment.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 11:21 am:   

Not as good as paycheck. Not even.

Double pay...combat pay. :-)

Robert Devereux
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 11:36 am:   

Worse than Paycheck...that's impressive.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 11:41 am:   

Much worse. This was literally a prolonged chase scene.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 05:27 am:   

Sci-Fi Channel aired "Lake Placid 2" last night. I wasn't aware that the first LP did well enough for a sequel (not even a Sci-Fi channel original).

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 06:09 am:   

You don't have to do that good to get a sci fi origimal. Was it good?

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 06:28 am:   

Watched the first year of Spaced last night. Really funny shit?

ben peek
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 07:12 am:   

saw SUNSHINE tonight. i reckon i got a blog post about it, but the short of it is i dug it. a b-grade sf flick about dropping a bomb into the sun. the film had a nice energy to it. flawed in a lot of ways, but i reckon the energy and bits of style rise it above that.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 07:23 am:   

Cool. It's not coming out here til fucking December.

ben peek
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 05:46 pm:   

yeah,w e get that all the time here. hey, did you see 28 DAYS LATER?

Robert Devereux
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 06:49 pm:   

"Was it good?"

It's a sci-fi channel movie, of course it's not. :-)
The real question is whether it was entertainingly bad, and it wasn't. The only thing that made the first entertaining was Betty White swearing, and this didn't have even that much entertainment.

PM
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 06:53 pm:   

There are easier ways to get off than with Betty White :-)

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 07:27 pm:   

Yes, but 28 Weeks Later starts May 11. Ben..

Betty White swearing -- I though platt and gleason were ok.

ben peek
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 11:01 pm:   

yeah, i got no desire to see the sequel for 28 DAYS LATER. but i figure if you liked the feel of the first film, SUNSHINE will go for you.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 05:06 am:   

I have a lot of desire to see the sequel. It was directed by Juan Fresnadillo, who directed Intacto, one of my favorite recent genre films.

But thanks for the tip...

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 06:42 am:   

Saw the last hour of WE JAM ECONO on Sundance. Not great filmmaking, but fascinating for an old punk who never got to see the Minutemen. Also watched about an hour of THINGS TO DO IN DENVER WHEN YOU'RE DEAD. I can take or leave Andy Garcia, but it's always good to see Forsythe in a meaty role.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 07:19 am:   

You oughta see COASTLINES.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 07:49 am:   

I'll look for it. It's a shame that THE LIGHTSHIP, which I saw at a festival in the late 1980s with Forsythe, Klaus Maria Brandauer and Robert Duvall, seems to have vanished without a trace. Forsythe's turn as a homicidal man-child bank robber was pretty good.

Also saw a bit of the rarely-seen THE GREATEST on TVOne. Good cast (Ernest Borgnine, John Marley, Robert Duvall, Ben Johnson, James Earl Jones) but I think Ali was better served staying out of the movies. As an actor, he was a great fighter.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 08:05 am:   

The Greatest was disappointing. Agreed about the Lightship. I have it on VHS.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 09:03 am:   

Forsythe next slated for the Rob Zombie HALLOWEEN remake.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 09:40 am:   

I don't do Zombie. Halloween remake is wholly unnecessary.

Brendan Connell
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 10:52 am:   

Watched some movies recently:

"Face Behind the Mask": 70's Kung Fu. What Tarantino tried to emulate in Kill Bill. A bit of a waste of time, but worth a laugh, especially for the subtitles which somehow manage to consistently use past tense for future etc. in a really remarkable way.

"The Wind That Shakes The Barley": Great film. Ken Loach is one of the few western fim makers doing consistantly good stuff.

"The Hills Run Red": A spaghetti western only made watchable by a Morricone score and the presence of Dan Duryea.

“Waterloo”: A pretty good film if you like period pieces.

“The Black Cat”: A Japanese horror film by Kaneto Shindo. A very strange one, with some truly great photography.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 11:32 am:   

Loved the wind that shakes the barley. Havent seen the rest. Though I have seen fulci's black cat.

Brendan Connell
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 11:46 am:   

Anything in common with the Japanese Black Cat film?

Lucius
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 11:59 am:   

No, I just ordered the Shindo and judging by the plot synopsis its completely different. Here's the fulci--

he townspeople of a small English village begin to die in a series of horrible ‘accidents,’ and a Scotland Yard inspector arrives to investigate. But when suspicion falls on a mysterious local medium who records conversations with the dead, the grisly deaths take on a sinister twist. Is a deranged murderer on the loose, or is an even more shocking evil silently stalking in the night?

Brendan Connell
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 10:23 pm:   

Hmmm. The Fulci sounds familiar. I guess I have either seen the film, read the synopsis before, or seen another film like it.

I think you will like the Shindo. I actually think the Black Cat is a loose series in Japan, as I have run across a number of other titles, which I unfortunately haven't seen, such as Black Cat Mansion etc.

Huw
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 03:03 am:   

I liked Kuroneko, though not as much as Shindo's Onibaba.

ben peek
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 03:13 am:   

hey, let me know if 28 WEEKS LATER is any good. i just got this thing about sequels, and kills off all interest in paying for it.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 04:18 am:   

I will, Ben, and even if not good, I'll lie, because I want you to see it. ;)

Onibaba is great, but Shindo's an excellent director--I'll watch whatever he does.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 04:49 am:   

Watched Aaltra, a very funny movie (belgian) about two crippled men, complete assholes, who take a road trip, basically hitchiking, to Finland so as to sue the company that made the machinery that crippled them. It's deadpan, somewhat after the manner of Kaurismaki. I'm a sucker for this kind of thing, but FWIW....

Also watched Severance, a Brit comedy/horror deal about a weapons company sales team holding a motivational week in an old lodge in the former Yugoslavia and running afoul of old war criminals who inhabit the place. Pretty indifferent stuff.

Huw
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 04:56 am:   

Speaking of deadpan, I've been watching a lot of old Buster Keaton films over the last few days. It's really good stuff. I think he was better than Chaplin.

ben peek
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 07:05 am:   

i don't reckon you'd be able to live the lie, man :-)

btw, this is for you (and everyone else):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_mW8mBzmHo&eurl=

a mashed up trailer of THE WICKER MAN, making it a comedy. it's pretty cool.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 07:12 am:   

Nick Cage already made it a comedy. But that is cool...

Bruce Chrumka
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 07:29 am:   

Huw wrote: " I think he [Keaton] was better than Chaplin." I just watched 'Chaplin' and was surprised to learn that he and Stan Laurel had been roommates and good friends when they worked for Fred Karno.

Keaton said of Laurel at Laurel's funeral [eulogy deelivered by Dick Van Dyke(?!)]: 'Chaplin wasn't the funniest, I wasn't the funniest, this man was the funniest'. High praise indeed.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 11:52 am:   

Latest word on the foot from Lost: Nothing more this season about it, but it's supposedly important for next season.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 11:55 am:   

Really? Well, that's something to look forward to. I might start watching again.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   

The producers apparently said something about it during a recent radio interview. It may take quite a while for things to materialize next season...after all it took until near the finale before this season started getting interesting.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 01:15 pm:   

Well, make that I may start watching late in the season. :-)

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 03:29 pm:   

Same here, I think the last few weeks have been quite good. Holloway did a bang up job in his scenes last night.

Didn't the producers of the show already state that the people on the island are NOT dead? Because if this is just some five season long Twilight Zone ep, I'm gonna be pissed. :D

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 03:55 pm:   

Fuck the people. I want understand the foot. ;)

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 04:01 pm:   

The one with four toes? I'm afraid we might end up seeing the island equivalent of Frodo and Sam.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 04:10 pm:   

I've liked the last few as well. Holloway was quite good last night. They need to do more of these episodes where the flashbacks are only things on the island.

The producers have specifically said they aren't dead, and the dead don't come back to life.

Brendan Connell
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 11:33 pm:   

I saw Story of the Weeping Camel. A pretty good film, almost a documentary. It gives a good picture of country life in Mongolia.

PM
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 11:45 pm:   

Watched Tears of a Spider-Man.

They say third time's a charm.

What the fuck do they know :-)

You'll gasp in amazement as one dreadful dramatic scene follows another...plus the added bonus of flashbacks to remind you that they haven't lost their lack of finesse over the years.

Tears will flow...

Lucius
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 04:24 am:   

I really dug Weeping Camel. Did you ever see Mikhailkov's Durga or Close to Eden, about a mongolian man living on the steppe and his trip into town to buy rubbbers? Pretty cool movie.

Brendan Connell
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 09:03 am:   

Nope, haven't seen it. My mom said she just saw another film by the director of Weeping Camel that was good. I haven't seen that one yet either. I have another Mongolian film on disk I plan on viewing soon, called A Mongolian Story. Somehow though my copy is Mongolian dubbed in Chinese with English subs. Oh, well.

I'll check out Close to Eden though. I am actually quite interested in Mongolia at the moment since a book I am working on partially takes place there and, having never been there, anything I can get helps.

There is actually another film I want to see if I can get a hold of called Tsogt Taij, which is from 1945, that sounds extremely cool.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 04:58 am:   

Ever heard of Romanzo Criminale, Brendan?

Brendan Connell
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 08:28 am:   

Nope. I have heard of Kriminal (and have the dvd), but not Romanzo Criminale.

Is it worth watching, or have you seen it yet?

Last night I watched a great comedy called Polvere di Stelle. I have no idea if it is available in English, but if it is it is worth watching....If you like Italian comedy that is.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 09:11 am:   

They got it at Xploited Movies. It's a pricey criminal epic, 152 minutes long. I haven't seen it but I'm thinking about making the buy, though reviews say the second half of the film is a bit of a letdown.

Alistair Rennie
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 10:19 am:   

I remember seeing trailers for Romanzo Criminale, Lucius, and to be honest I wasn't really inspired to go see it. It seemed to me to be a bit flashy without having much substance, maybe trying too hard to be trendy more than anything else. I could be wrong, though, and will ask around to see if i can find someone who's seen it.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 10:33 am:   

Thanks, ALastair.

Brendan Connell
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 02:24 pm:   

I am sort of doubtful about many contemporary Italian films. The Italian film industry has gone so down hill in the last years, that I tend to approach the newer films with some scepticism.

I just saw Death Rides a Horse. Great film, but I am sort of kicking myself for watching the US version in English. Since the principal actors are American's I thought it would be better. But the print was panned and scanned, so it probably would have been better to watch Lee Van Cleef dubbed in Italian and been able to see the full picture.

david h
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 08:13 pm:   

I saw The Host last night. It desesrves every good word that you guys have written about it. What a great movie...

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 10:00 pm:   

Cool, David. Excellent choice. :-)

Ben Seeberger
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 02:01 am:   

There's a Chinese film called Re-Cycle which is pretty interesting (directed by the Pang brothers). (If you can find it, that would be an amazing feat.) Nevertheless, an enthralling journey through imagination, if a bit cookie cut to fit some sort of video-game ideologue.

Huw
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 10:03 am:   

I didn't much care for Re-Cycle (it is available on region 3 DVD, by the way), but then I've found everything that the Pang brothers have done since the first half of The Eye to be disappointing. Re-Cycle had an interesting premise, but it was spoiled by cliched action scenes, some awful zombie effects and an irritating, overblown score.

The Pang brothers' following effort 'Diary' is so hackneyed and dull it's practically unwatchable.

jk
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 10:37 am:   

Lucius, have you seen the French movie Sheitan with Vincent Cassell?

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 10:46 am:   

Yeah, jk. It was okay, but pretty standard. Cassell's turn as an addled groundskeeper was decent, but I didn't think the movie was all that. Of course, I had high expectations. Coming at it with lowered expectations, I suppose you could find worse ways to pass an idle evening.

jk
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 11:42 am:   

I have pretty low expectations. I just watched Lifespan. Hehe. Strange to hear Terry Riley's looped organ and sax soundtracking Klaus Kinski's "acting." What a horrible movie.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   

Well, if you can watch Lifespan, you can pretty much watch anything. :-) I couldn't finish it.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 05:31 am:   

I must be a masochist, I watched Mission Impossible 3 last night. I expect big action movies to have some interesting action and to not thoroughly bore me, but even low expectations weren't met. I can't think of the last Hollywood action movie that bored me so much.

Alistair Rennie
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 06:29 am:   

I've asked a couple of people about Romanzo Criminale and those who've seen it seemed to like it well enough. I get the impression that it's no classic, reasonably flawed, but one guy said that if you like films involving criminal gangs you'll probably like it. I might take it out and view it for myself. I'm kind of curious now.

But I agree with Brendan's view of contemporary Italian film. It's been quite disappointing in recent years. The only one I've seen recently that packed a decent punch was the one you've mentioned a couple of times, Lucius, The Consequences of Love. That was a very solid film.

Alistair Rennie
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 06:37 am:   

In saying that, there is one recent film, a romantic comedy/drama no less, that I heard was pretty good from reliable sources. It stars an Italian actor who is very likeable called Diego Abatantuono who starred in the Italian SF film, Nirvana, which you might have seen.

This film is called La Cena Per Farli Conoscere and is reckoned to be a cut above the usual film of its kind:

http://www.lacenaperfarliconoscere.it/

Maybe another recent Italian film worth seeing, which has Abatantuono playing an unusual role, for him, of a callous criminal, is Io Non Ho Paura:

http://www.iononhopaura.it/

You seen that one Brendan? It's an interesting film. I'm not sure how much I'd rate it, but it's certainly worth seeing and does establish an interesting contrast between idyllic Southern rural Italy and the sinister undertones of criminality that exists there.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 07:04 am:   

Thanks, alastair. I'll look for those two films.

Sorry, Robert. :-)

For my part, I saw an interesting Spanish noir, La Distancia, about a boxer who is blackmailed into killing a man in prison by a corrupt cop and then then falls into a romantic triangle with the man's wife and the cop. Very well acted and filmed.

david h
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 11:11 am:   

Have any of you guys seen the five minute clip of 28 WEEKS LATER on youtube? It's a brutal scene with several survivors hiding out in a (rather ineffectually) boarded up house. The infected arrive and mayhem follows. Good stuff.

Regarding LOST: fuck it, watever. That ship ain't going to right itself. I just want the foot to come back like a Monty Python animation and step on all the castaways (who will, of course make little fart noises as they get squished). We could have that in one episode and it'd offer more answers and closure than 3 more seasons.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 11:47 am:   

Haven't seen it,but plan to go.

The Foot is the only hope.

david h
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   

I know the foot is popular here, but my favorite loose end is the giant green bird that can say "Hurley". I'd be okay if that came back too...tag team style with the foot.

That clip of 28 Weeks Later was so cool that I ordered a used copy of Intacto on spec.

Speaking of zombies, did you guys know that someone is remaking Day of the Dead? I just read that today. No lie: Bub is re-written as a friendly zombie. Why? He was a vegan in life.

If I were Romero, I'd have climbed a clock tower by now.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   

I saw a long preview of 28 days later, and I loved it. It's bloody as hell, but man is it ever thriler. Whaddaya know? A thriller that thrills.

Intacto is a very good movie...

Robert Devereux
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 03:03 pm:   

Even worse than 3 more years of Lost...at least 3 more Spider Man movies. No word on whether Raimi or Maguire will be involved, but Sony wants to have more, as long as they continue to make money.

Is the 3rd Spider Man as muddled as the reviews make it sound? The reactions I've heard so far range from "Disappointing but OK" to "absolute crap."

Lucius
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 03:30 pm:   

Haven't seen it. One was enough.

PM
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 03:47 pm:   

Raimi has indicated that he had to add Venom to the script which gives it that two movies crammed into the price of one feel.

Probably the script would have turned out better if he had been left alone.

At any rate there are scenes of such dramatic despair that these have to sit squarely in his lap. Just like the first film. We've seen these actors in other roles and even if you don't think much of their acting in all fairness one has to admit that they've done better elsewhere. Sort of like a certain Lucas. Bringing out the worst performance possible.

And there are moments where things shine (in the context of expectations for this sort of film) and then the dramatic moments kick in. Folk were laughing and/or booing during these scenes...

Huw
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 05:06 pm:   

I've just got myself a copy of Bong (The Host, Memories of Murder) Joon-ho's "other" film, Barking Dogs Never Bite. I'm watching it tonight. Anyone seen it?

Lucius
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 06:42 pm:   

Nope. It's supposed to be good, but not up to his others.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 10:57 pm:   

Though I'm not intending to review it, I went to a critics screening today of 28 Weeks Later, the sequel to Danny Boyle's zombie film, 28 Days Later. I was interested in this because the film is directed by Juan Fresnadillo, who made Intacto, one of the better thrillers of the new millennium. The movie is bloody, scary (not for you, Liz), and, unlike the first movie, it keeps the focus on London--I thought 28 Days Later suffered when it moved the characters out of the city. In the sequel, Fresnadillo keeps the focus on the spookily deserted and runious London, from the docks to Regent Park to Wembley, showing us the extent of the devastation wrought by the Rage. He boils down the events of the first film into a few minutes of terrifying prologue, focusing on Don (Robert Carlyle), who makes a split-second decison to save himself and leaves his wife to the infected. And then, it's 28 weeks later.

The zombies are dying of starvation and the US army has been called in to help restart London. Don is living in a high rise, protected by the US army. The virus appears to have spent itself and stragglers, including Don's wife (who's looking a bit under the weather) and kids (Mackintosh Muggleston and Imogene Poots, real-life Harry Potterish names). Soon it turns out that the virus has taken on a new dormant form. A scene in a cellar filled with refugees who, in a matter of seconds, are all transformed by the reborn Rage into the infected is truly horrific.

This is a bigger, more ambitious movie than the original. Wider scope and more violence. There's a temptation to compare it to Aliens, but there's actually more of the creepy, bleak elegaic feel that was the high water mark of the first movie. And there are some amazing set pieces: the firebombing of Canary Wharf; three people go for a stroll through the Underground with only a single night vision scope; and a willy-nilly cleansing of Regent Park performed by desperate soldiers so scared that they don't care who's being shot. There are a couple of wrong notes struck, one by Harold Perrineau as a crazed chopper pilot, but overall 28 Weeks Later is not only bigger, it's better. The kids, who really are the lead characters, are excellent. Rose Byrne (an army doctor) and Jeremy Remmer (an army sniper) are okay as their surrogate parents, but don't have much to do.

PM
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 11:03 pm:   

Sorry you didn't get to review it.

Brendan Connell
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 11:46 pm:   

Sounds like it might be worth checking out....

Saw a film called "The Abandoned Swords" last night. A pretty good low-brow samurai affair.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 04:44 am:   

It's a relief, actually, not to review it. I went to a free movie, enjoyed it, and didn't take a note. Not often I get to do that.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 05:01 am:   

Sounds good. I guess I'll try to see 28 days later.

Huw
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 06:50 am:   

I'm going to see '28 Weeks Later' on Friday. I liked the first movie, and after reading Lucius's impressions of the sequel I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Park Chan-wook's new movie 'I'm a Cyborg But That's Okay' starts here in a few days also. It looks interesting...

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 07:01 am:   

The "Mad Max Rule."

If your script has a crazy chopper pilot, cut him.

david h
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 07:05 am:   

Ah yeah, the possibility of a good zombie movie really cheers me right up. By the time Friday night rolls around I should be done with my mountain of work and ready for a few grisly deaths.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 07:26 am:   

The early parts of 28 DAYS LATER were really outstanding. Like LS said, once it became a "save the damsels from the survivalist army creeps" movie, it was, at best, average. Very hopeful about the new one.

Huw
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 07:58 am:   

Exactly! I thought it had a great build-up, with the deserted streets and the attempts to find safety and make some kind of sense of things. After they arrived at the base in Manchester it went downhill, I thought, and by the last half hour they even had the lead actor morphing into a Rambo-type ass-kicking action hero.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 08:06 am:   

the only flaws I found with this were the heli scene and a bit much of the hand-held camera. Is it a classic? Don't know. But it has more spooky London and more zombies, and that's good. And a terrific creepiness factor -- the Tube scene and a scene in the deserted streets after a chemical attack, with clouds of gas obscuring everything.

Brendan Connell
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 11:06 am:   

I would guess the Park Chan Wook film is very good. I would take it over the Zombie flick :-)

Kelly Christopher Shaw
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   

Brendan: Actually, the feedback on I'M A CYBORG has been pretty lukewarm. Critics have praised it unanimously for its visuals, but the story's suppose to be pretty frothy.

Anyone here seen Verhoeven's new one, BLACK BOOK? I caught it last weekend and found it to be good fun – plot twisty and very pulpy, with enough emotional undercurrent to give it some weight. It plays the way American blockbusters should.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   

I saw it. It was okay but I guess I was expecting more, something less typical.

david h
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 01:13 pm:   

Black Book just started playing right around the corner from me at BAM. I hope to see it soon.

>>I would take it over the Zombie flick

Dude... You cut me. You cut me deep.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 01:58 pm:   

Speaking of Black Book, I bought the dvd about two months ago for about 21, 22 bucks. Now it selling for more than 33 bucks. I realize this is new edition, but what's up with that?

Brendan Connell
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 10:44 pm:   

Yeah, well the story of the Cyborg still sounds more original than the zombie film. To be honest--these days I really steer away from horror films. The only ones I am interested are old Japanese and Italian.

Brendan Connell
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 11:20 pm:   

Hi Lucius - Just now saw your post about Shango etc.

Shango has Anthony Steffen which basically assures you it is a bad movie. I am not sure if I have even seen it. I would have to look through my films and see if it is there.

I watch Anthony Steffen films, but can't say I have seen one yet that I would actually call good. If you like ultra-cheap westerns though, this is the way to go...

As for the other films, I haven't seen them.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 04:30 am:   

Thanks, Brendan.

Why hasn't there been a mashup of Sandra Bullock's 28 Days and the zombie flicks?

Brendan Connell
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 08:44 am:   

You mean these are different films :-(?

I thought this was a continuation in her zombie series.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 09:01 am:   

:-)

Of course they are.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 09:29 am:   

28 Days, 28 Days Later, sure sounds like a sequel to me. And Sandra certainly fills me with Rage. :-)

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 09:35 am:   

Maybe she can zombie it up in the third one.

PM
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 10:14 am:   

Maybe Keanu will be game by then too :-)

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 10:19 am:   

Everybody wants to be a zombie but nobody wants to die...

PM
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 10:58 am:   

Sounds like a t-shirt to me!

Robert Devereux
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 06:41 am:   

Lost seems to have regained it's direction. The last few episodes have been good, and last night's was one of the best this season. A lot of things were answered about the Others and the DHARMA initiative, although it raised a lot more questions. At least is found the sense of mystery it had in the first season.

It should finally end the Lost message board discussions on whether the Others are good or not (they're not, they engaged in mass murder). However, I'm sure the boards will be full of speculation over Jacob (the not-entirely there leader of the Others, who at first seemed like a figment of Ben's imagination, but he seems to be real based on the weirdness last night).

Two more to go this season, and we should have several deaths to look forward to. My guess is Charlie and a few Others.

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 07:50 am:   

Yeah, quite good last night, it's finally coming back around to S1 quality. I loved that they were flashbacking Ben rather than one of the usuals. The whole Jacob thing is weird, thought Ben and Locke might be using the hallucinogen Locke fed to Charlie the first season. :-)

Ben Seeberger
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 07:53 am:   

I really enjoyed Hot Fuzz. Great fun. Recommendations go throughout. Though I doubt my recommendation was necessarily needed for it. Shaun of the Dead speaks for it in many ways, and Hot Fuzz is very similar in many more ways.

I think what was most cool about it was that the aura of the fantastic was never once apologized for. In many movies that depict "real" situations once something "fantastic" comes in, the writer immediately tries to recant it in the form of a joke, but this film... just kept on plowing through.

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 07:59 am:   

I always thought vampirism looked more fun than zombification. Vampires generally have time to work on their looks; zombies are almost always fashion disasters, what with the decomposition and all.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 08:04 am:   

The 28 days zombies arent decomposing, I don't think. And some vamps are fashion disasters.

Hot Fuzz was fun, but I still liked Spaced better.

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 08:10 am:   

I think the liquid diet suits vamps. You rarely see them out of shape. And you can do Kate Beckinsale...

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 08:30 am:   

I can? Thanks. :-)

Huw
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 02:16 pm:   

I saw 28 Weeks Later last night, and I agree with everything Lucius said. I loved it, and now I want to see it again.

The ending made me wonder whether we can expect a third outing in the series (28 Months Later?)...

Lucius
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 02:34 pm:   

Oh, I think we can expect 28 Years Later and, perhaps, 28 Centuries Later. Glad it worked for you, HUW.

PM
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 06:28 pm:   

Somehow this hasn't been mentioned...

http://www.electricstory.com/reviews/review.aspx?title=new/grindhouse

Ben Seeberger
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 02:29 am:   

Gah, I feel so subpar after reading those reviews. You've got some cool ideas/perceptions about movies that is quite challenging. I'm looking forward to reading more.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 06:02 am:   

Well, thanks Ben. But the last couple of reviews have been of such shitty movies, I don't know how many ideas come through...mostly one-liners. :-) But I do my best...

Ben Seeberger
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 09:11 am:   

Some of your recommendations have caused me recently to try and find copies of The Spirit of the Beehive and Brisco County, Jr. I can't wait to watch those. :D I never even knew Bruce Campbell was in anything besides playing Ash, Bubba Ho-Tep, and having one-liners in the Spiderman movies.

I remember watching Pan's Labyrinth and having similar feelings as yours, except mine were more feelings of betrayal at shattering the fantasy world with the ending of the movie, which although it did make more sense (as if fantasy ever really "makes" sense) I thought the quest motif was done fairly well, and I'm a sucker for a good ending.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 09:21 am:   

BC has been a lot of little horror films. Lucky McKees, the Woods, and such, and he occasionally snags a small part in a A-list picture.

Pan's Labyrinth get worse and worse the more i think about it. ;)

jk
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 10:56 am:   

Campbell has been in some bad Sci-fi Channel movies too.
Lucius, how do you rate Teshigahara? I see there's a dvd box of Pitfall/Woman in the Dunes/Face of Another coming out soon.
Also, looks like El Topo and Holy Mountain finally got official releases on Region 1. Never thought that would happen. Guess I can chuck my crappy bootlegs.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 11:02 am:   

Yep, they are pretty cool.

I really like Woman in the Dunes and Pitfall. I haven't seen Face of Another. Woman is a seminal film for me -- it was the film that first persuaded me there was better out there, so maybe I'm not a good judge.

Huw
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 03:33 pm:   

I liked Woman in the dunes a lot too. I bought Pitfall a while ago along with a bunch of old movies, but still haven't got around to watching it. It looks interesting, though. I've been wondering about The Face of Another too - I noticed it's out on the Eureka label in the UK. They're bringing out some good stuff: Kwaidan, Kuroneko, old silent movies by Buster Keaton (I just got his Complete Short Films, which is excellent), Fritz Lang movies. They're becoming something of a British Criterion (only cheaper).

Brendan Connell
Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 12:16 am:   

I have really been wanting to see "Face of Another." I suspect that it is a very good film.

A few films I recently watched:

Sostiene Pereira - A very good film with Marcello Mastroianni.

Shogun's Shadow - A slightly ridiculous but entertaining Sonny Chiba film.

david h
Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 08:57 am:   

I saw 28 Weeks Later on Friday. Mostly I really liked it. Once I realized that it was basically an hour and a half chase scene I began to accept it for what it was and, as a result, found myself liking it even more.

There were a couple snags for me though: was that helicopter thing even remotely possible, and why oh why did that zombie (those of you who have seen it will know who I mean) keep popping up over and over again?

This film's social satire, while not subtle int he least, was sharper than the last film's. Also, I enjoyed the guilt subtext...but not quite as much as I enjoyed the parental/father-figure sutext of Days.

>>Pan's Labyrinth get worse and worse the more i think about it. ;)

Good. :-) That film really bugged me...couldn't get my head around everyone's high esteem for it.

Alan frackelton
Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 09:21 am:   

John Shirley has a review of 28 Weeks Later up at Locus online - it seems there are plans for a third film, 28 Months Later.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 07:13 am:   

Watched Mike Mendez's THE GRAVEDANCERS this weekend. Again, another horror film that began with an interesting premise and then degenerated into a roll call of horror cliches. The more of the horrorfest features I see, the better The Butcher Brothers' THE HAMILTONS looks.

Ben Seeberger
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 07:26 am:   

Just finished The Spirit of the Beehive (thanks for the non-direct recommendation). It was fantastic, though not what I expected. It's amazing the amount of suspense that can be created when someone isn't jumping out of an exploding building, mowing someone down with a machine gun, or screaming for their life as a serial murderer gouges their eyes out; rather, as this film aptly shows, all they need to do is well, sit there and... wait.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 07:50 am:   

What think ye all about AFFLICTION with Nick Nolte? Saw part of it this wknd and found it very moving and quietly disturbing.

I think my Ten Worst list just got a new entry: LOST IN SPACE...I wonder if the money from this helped to bankroll Gary Oldman's NIL BY MOUTH? Can't think of any other reason he would have participated.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 08:19 am:   

Lost in Space was bad, but it wouldn't even rate on a worst ten for me. It's more watchable than Wing Commander.

LiS may be the low point in Oldman's career, but there are other lows: Hannibal, 5th Element, Air Force One, Dracula.

PM
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 10:04 am:   

I thought Oldman in the Fifth Element was despicable...and not in a good way!

Lucius
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 10:43 am:   

I didn't see wing commander but lost in space was Baaaad. Affliction, on the other hand, is good.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 11:29 am:   

LOST IN SPACE may have been merely bad, but the presence of Matt LeBlanc, the cuddly animated space monkey and the stupid time-travel plot in which Dr. Smith turns into a giant spider put it over the top for me. Unwatchable, and certainly the worst film on William Hurt AND Gary Oldman's resumes.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 11:31 am:   

Oh yeah. Oldman as Smith was just weird casting.

PM
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 11:38 am:   

Where's the love for Heather Graham :-)

Robert Devereux
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   

I'd rather watch Lost in Space again than Fifth Element. Despite better production values, I thought FE was the worst of Oldman's films.

Don't see Wing Commander. It stars Freddie Prinz Jr. Do I need to say more?

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 02:35 pm:   

Having Heather Graham on the payroll and not making her your "damsel in distress" is tantamount to directorial malpractice, IMHO.

PM
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 03:37 pm:   

Was the latex not enough :-)

And let's not forget poor Ian Holm in the Fifth Element. Ok let's try to forget it.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 04:40 pm:   

Let's NOT forget Milla Jovovich in The Fifth Element!

PM, latex is never enough...You can quote me on that!

PM
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 06:03 pm:   

Yeah, it was one of Milla's better roles though I'd had enough gymnastics from Blade Runner.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 06:19 pm:   

If that was one of her better roles, I don't want to see her other work.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 06:24 pm:   

Her joan of arc was unforgettable. ;)

david h
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 07:14 pm:   

Milla in plate mail. Ha! Saint, or poster child for medieval schizophrenia?

I read that the foot isn't coming back until LOST's next season. Sorry Lucius.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 07:59 pm:   

Well, basically I don't care. The foot cannot be encopassed by dint of words alone.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 08:23 am:   

...or medieval fetish wear...:-)

Bruce Chrumka
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 08:32 am:   

Not much love here for 'The Fifth Element'. But ya gotta like:

The addled mugger at the door
The cigarettes that are 90% filter
The floating Thai food restaurant
The MacDonald's checkout ladies
The acolyte's hat
Zorg's demo of the one-man arsenal
The bizarre costumes and music
Milla's half-smile and propensity for chicken and multipasses

You can kick Ruby Rhod off a cliff.

PM
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 08:40 am:   

I enjoyed her screaming in the Messenger. And the score was good.

Bruce Chrumka
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 09:22 am:   

Oh yeah, and Leon the Replicant's turn as General Munro as by the late, lamented Brion James.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 01:11 pm:   

If nothing else, Chris Tucker was good for a few laffs.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 01:56 pm:   

He was the worst element of the film for me.

Huw
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 02:06 pm:   

I found Tucker irritating beyond belief in that film. I almost stopped watching it because of him.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 02:07 pm:   

The worst element was the story, but Tucker was a close second.

Bruce Chrumka
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 02:09 pm:   

It had a story?! :0)

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 02:30 pm:   

Love is the fifth element. :-)

Bruce Chrumka
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 03:25 pm:   

And here I always thought it was Boron. :0)

PM
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 03:39 pm:   

Yeah, Tucker committed a big ass Science Fiction no-no and was funny. And of course as usually happens it was pushed to the point of irritation.

Lack of quality control is the first element.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 03:41 pm:   

No, I thing that's the sixth element, right before flatulum.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   

Over the wknd, saw Cronenberg's VIDEODROME on tv, and I thought it really held up. The sexy parts were sexy, the disturbing parts disturbing, the funny bits still funny. Were James Woods and Deborah Harry ever better?

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 03:44 pm:   

Certain Deborah Harry never was, but Woods has been considerably better.

david h
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 05:27 am:   

Lucius, I'm not sure what thread this really belongs in, but I thought you might like to know that M. John Harrison posted a link to After Ildiko on his blog today, calling it "excellent".

Neat.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 07:32 am:   

Cool. Thanks, David.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 07:57 am:   

Another Lost continuity error: in Season 1, Charlie says he can't swim. Now his father taught him to swim when he was a kid. The episode was largely set up for the finale next week, but I liked it, especially Charlie accepting that he will die.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 08:09 am:   

You gotta like a dead hobbit. :-)

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 08:50 am:   

I dunno if he's dead yet, I'm wondering if what Desmond "saw" was him not coming back up after he submerged. It just seems fairly obvious after weeks of transmitting Charlie's impending death that he actually dies. Then again, we're supposed to see several fates next week...

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 09:00 am:   

I'm hoping they all get stomped by the foot.

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 09:02 am:   

I'm thinking a utube foot parody is in order...

Robert Devereux
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 09:35 am:   

The actor has been doing interviews and making comments about what he wants to do after Lost. That makes it seem inevitable, but after the elaborate hoax with Battlestar Galactica and Starbuck's death, I wonder if this could be a hoax as well. Maybe they built up Charlie so people will be shocked when another major cast member dies instead. Sadly, they won't kill Jack, who's never been an interesting character.

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 09:42 am:   

Good points - I never believed Starbuck was exactly dead so maybe it's leaking over... Agree on Jack too, I can't get "party of five" out of mind every time I see him...and I wish i could.

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 11:04 am:   

Bummer. I finally found the DVD of the Australian THIRST. So what's the catch? It's boxed up with two other Aussie films: PATRICK and STRANGE BEHAVIOUR for $60.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 12:01 pm:   

Don't buy it, Dave. I forgot to give it to you whenn you were out. I'll mail it when I get a chance.

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 01:44 pm:   

Sweet! :-)

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 07:41 am:   

Dave email with yr address...

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 08:38 am:   

Watched London to Brighton, a superior British thriller from new director Paul Williams. This tale of two young prostitutes on the run is a beautifully handled piece of social realism,
From the gitgo, we're drawn into a decaying underworld--two girls burst into a public bathroom at 3 in the morning. 11-year-old runaway Joanne (Georgia Groome) sobs uncontrollably and 25-year-old prostitute Kelly (Lorraine Stanley) tries to repair her battered face. Earlier that night, her pimp Derek sent Kelly to find an underage girl for a millionaire, Duncan Allen. She comes across Joanne and persuades her to do the job. When Allen’s body is discovered later on, Derek must track down the girls or face the wrath of Allen’s brutal son, Stuart. Kelly and Joanne flee what they consider a safe haven. Brighton.

Thereafter, the narrative follows somewhat formulaic lines and the final climatic twist is telegraphed. But an incredibly sharp script and William’s bold direction overcomes these limitations. There’s not a single uninteresting shot, and the performances he elicits from the actors are extraordinary. Joanne’s street-smart, but an abusive father and her time on the mean streets haven’t erased her innocence. Once she reaches Brighton, all she wants to do is swim in the sea and play arcade games. The two girls open up to each othe and Kelly takes on motherly responsibilities. There’s also a bleak humor throughout, mainly courtesy of Derek, a not so bad bad-ass who's out of his league. At one point he tries to convince his girlfriend to do his friends a favor: “I think we’ve got a future – me and you – I really do. You understand that? Do you? Right. Then get in there and fuck those two…”

This is a film with huge buzz that stands up under scrutiny. It's available now online at Xploited Films, but whether you go for the pricey DVD or wait a year to rent it...see it.

Nathan Ballingrud
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   

This sounds just awesome. Thanks for the rec.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 01:02 pm:   

yer welcome.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 08:55 pm:   

Lost has lost it. The big "game changer" the producers have talked about is that Jack's latest flashback isn't a flashback...it's a flash forward. It reveals that they get off the island, but that Jack wants to go back.

While I was interested in how the survivors would re-integrate into life after they return, this is a crappy way to show it. It removes much of the drama by knowing that they get off the island. It also shows that they will never abandon the flash back/forward format of the show, even though the format has been the weakness of the show for 2 seasons. The strengths of the show has been the on island events, and the interaction of the cast. The flashes don't use either and instead drag the show down, and it looks like they will keep dragging it down for the rest of the run.

When the show started, I felt it was a good story, but now it seems they are trying to hard to be clever, and the quality is suffering. Even if the foot returns next season, I don't think I'm interested in watching it.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 10:27 pm:   

This was the big finale, no? Too bad, but I sorta figured.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 06:19 am:   

Yeah, season finale. It was underwhelming, and Charlie's death seemed completely avoidable (he could have easily survived if he wanted to).

PM
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 07:23 am:   

One by one we peel away the Lost fans :-)

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 07:32 am:   

When he checked out next season's scripts, he probably wanted to die.

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 08:04 am:   

I really dug it personally, loved the ending twist. I haven't read for sure that they're going to do flashforwards from now on, if they are I think that would be pretty lame, but I kinda doubt they'll show us much of the "rescue". I'm wondering if it may take place in the present and flash back to the island instead.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 08:57 am:   

I still wasn't intrigued by Jack's character. Substance abuse moves him out of being Mr. Perfect, but it's still not very interesting. I also felt the emotion was lacking in this episode, especially after the good job they did in the last few episodes. I thought the actors were sleepwalking through the lines.

I've been struggling to maintain interest all season, and I've gotten really fed up with the flash structure. Changing the direction of the flashes isn't enough to revive the show for me.

Plus, Dominic Monaghan was the reason I started watching the show. Seeing him in a post-LotR role was intriguing. I feel less interested without him.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 08:58 am:   

Mine, too. But I knew it was El Crapo...

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 09:34 am:   

I didn't really buy the substance abuse thing too much, if he was popping that much oxycodone and drinking at the same time, I figured he'd be crashed out on a couch somewhere. I haven't ever been a big fan of Matthew Fox but thought he did a great job, especially right after he thought the three on the beach were executed. Thought Charlie's death was really well done as well.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 10:23 am:   

With Idol and Lost now off my viewing list, I'm much closer to kicking my TV habit. I'm down to only a few shows now: MythBusters, Daily Show, Colbert Report, Rollins Show, Hell's Kitchen. I wonder if getting shows on DVD or from iTunes will be cheaper than cable.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 11:04 am:   

Hell, I find something to write to on TV every day. Now it's the Lifetime movie channel. :-)

david h
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 11:05 am:   

>>Thought Charlie's death was really well done as well.

Charlie's death was okay from an acting standpoint I guess, but it was total bullshit from a physics standpoint. Take a coke bottle in the bathtub tonight, submerge it and poke a hole in it while holding it perpendicular to the surface: the water won't rise above the hole. What I'm saying is that I'm almost certain that the water that poured in from the broken port hole would have stopped at the port hole leaving plenty of room for Charlie to breathe. For a while anyway...

Whatever. I had my own flashforward last night: next fall, the TV will be off on Wednesdays and I'll be either reading or working. Enough is enough.

Lost has its viewers on a variable reinforcement schedule. Unpredictable little tidbits of decent writing surface at random to keep viewers' watching behavior reinforced during long stretches of shitty writing. Unless I want to be Lost's bitch, I need to stop watching.

Suddenly I'm free.

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 11:05 am:   

I got the Holy Grail: The First Season of the Odd Couple on DVD. Genius is inadquate to describe it.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 11:27 am:   

Charlie could have easily run to the moon pool, grabbed grabbed scuba gear, and gotten out. I was more concerned about that than they physics.

Freedom is nice isn't it?

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 11:32 am:   

Dave, garbage is also inadequate.

You guys should form Lost-ANON. :-)

Robert Devereux
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 11:57 am:   

Hi, my name is Robert and I'm a recovering Lost addict. It's been one day since I watched Lost.
:-)

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   

Hi, Robert! :-)

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   

Lucius, if you are calling the hilarious hijinks of Oscar and Felix "garbage," then I'm afraid I shall have to ask you to step outside...

However, I do applaud yr love of Lifetime. My fave currently is the Kelly Lynch vehicle where she is the mother of an "internet porn addict". It's right up there with baby-stealing Delta Burke or gambler Cynthia Gibb losing her kids' college funds in a poker game or Jan-Michael Vincent stalking TV newswoman Heather Thomas. I could go on...

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 12:50 pm:   

Love that shit, man. As for Feel and Osc, Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau. No more need be said.

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 01:13 pm:   

I forgot the must-see TV movie for all employees at my work, SHATTERED DREAMS with Chris Sarandon as wife-beating SEC Enforcement head John Fedders and Lindsay Wagner as his long-suffering spouse. We still see old John F. skulking around every now and then...

david h
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 02:28 pm:   

>>Charlie could have easily run to the moon pool, grabbed grabbed scuba gear, and gotten out. I was more concerned about that than they physics.

I wasn't so worried about that since he thought he had to die to save Claire. It's just that, in locking the door from the inside, he wasn't resigning himself to drowning, he was resigning himself to standing in neck deep water and suffocating slowly as air ran out.

A show about time travel that was created by nimrods who don't understand basic physics is just total bullshit. Freedom is sooo nice.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   

Lost is about time travel...Jesus God!

Loved the first two seasons of WKRP.

PM
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 02:13 pm:   

Wasn't there a Dr. Venus Flytrap in there somewhere?

I enjoyed the comedic elements far more than the drama.

Things such as the ridiculous division of your and my space in the office.

Haven't seen it since it originally aired.

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 02:43 pm:   

You're confusing DR. Johnny Fever and Venus Flytrap. The latter was Tim Reid, who was mostly a straight man, and the former was Howard Hesseman, who was funny, but dissolved into schtick after a while.

PM
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 02:56 pm:   

Thanks for the clarification.

It's been a long time.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 07:38 pm:   

Highly recommended--the new Brit thriller about two hookers on the run, London to Brighton. One is eleven, the other in her twenties. They go to service a millionaire client, who is later found slashed and bloody. Dead. His son, a cold, brutal man, Stuart, send the girls' pimp to seek them out. They have fled to Brighton, where the 11 year old becomes a little girl again, and the older falls into the mother's role. Great acting, great direction...

Lucius
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 09:01 am:   

Did I already post about that movie? Christ, I have a hangover.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 07:00 am:   

I follow a simple rule: if it was an amusement park ride before it was a movie, don't watch it.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 08:30 am:   

Huh?

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 09:14 am:   

If it was an amusement park ride (Pirates of the Caribbean, The Haunted Mansion), a toy (Transformers), or a video game (Super Mario Bros.), I won't see it.

Lucius, surely you know that the Pirates franchise was commissioned to capitalize on the Disney World ride?

Robert Devereux
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 09:21 am:   

But with that rule, you loose out on the "fun" of watching Uwe Boll films. :-)

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 09:31 am:   

I finished Spaced recently myself, both seasons. Fantastic series. Was fun to see Jessica Stephenson Hynes in Doctor Who over the weekend as well, she couldn't play a more different character than she does on Spaced, playing a 1913 schoolnurse without a hint of humor, something I imagined impossible after Spaced. I think I'd probably watch anything with Pegg in it now...

Also grabbed Nobody Knows on Lucius' recommendation, to watch soon...

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 10:05 am:   

Dave, I thought you were talking about LOndon to Brighton. Doh!

Spaced is a hoot.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   

Actually, that would be a much more amusing ride than Pirates of the Caribbean was...

Robert Devereux
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 04:43 pm:   

A London to Brighton ride? Or Spaced? I haven't seen either yet, but they would likely be much better than Pirates.

Huw
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 05:02 am:   

Spaced is great! I just finished watching the whole box set (series 1 and 2) a few weeks ago. I agree with Bob about Brian being one of the funniest characters.

Tim": "What do you paint?"

Brian: "Anger... pain... fear.... aggression... "

Great stuff!

I thought the guy with the deep voice who stole Tim's girlfriend was pretty funny as well.

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 08:22 am:   

Carlton Cuse of Lost sez: "The four-toed statue is something we will get to next season," Cuse revealed. "Sometimes we're surprised by the things people get fixated on. We tried to answer a fair number of questions this year, but that's one we just didn't get to."

:D

Brendan Connell
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 08:52 am:   

I saw a film called Uomini Contro last night. Another one with Gian Maria Volonte'. I highly recommend it. I also saw one with Toshiro Mifune called Lowly Ronin - but it was a bit slow...

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 01:59 pm:   

I'm looking for Uomini Contro--it sounds great.

The foot cannot be explained--it simply is.

Spaced is the place....

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 02:16 pm:   

Nice Sun Ra play. :-) He'd have had that whole building playing percussion and synthesizers by the end of Season 1.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 02:21 pm:   

Oh, yeah. Would have been cool.

Is Uomini Contro on DVD over there, Brendan? Reason I ask, I'm going to be in Switzerland and Italy this summer and will pick it up if it is. It's not available from the usual sources.

Brendan Connell
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 12:06 am:   

Yeah, it is available on dvd - but in italian without subtitles. Maybe there is a Spanish version available. Can you manage in Italian? Where and when are you going to be around? I would be happy to buy you a beer/Campari/wine/absinthe/grappa or whatever it is that you drink if you are in the area. Though for part of the Summer I am going to be in the US, so might not be here....

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 05:07 am:   

We're gonna be in Yverdon for a couple of days, a day or two in the Laurbratten Valley, then a week in Northern Italy based around the Gardassee. Between the 18th and 28th of June. Pior to that we'll be in Spain. Love to get together.

I'll look for a Spanish disc. Maybe I could get it with Italian, but i wouldn't enjoy it.

Fernando Jimenez
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 06:00 am:   

I've made a little research and Uomini Contra does not seem to be available in Spain. It is possible but not likely that it has slipped under my radar, as I am passing recently through a phase of (rather unhealthy) interest in the Great War. In case someone is more lucky, the spanish title of the film is "Hombres contra la guerra".

Brendan Connell
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 02:12 pm:   

Lucius: Yes, I am around during that time. By Gardassee, do you mean Lago di Garda? I am in Ticino, in a place called Valle de Muggio (Bruzella population 204). I sort of would imagine going from North to South you would pass through here, unless you took a route through France or through Austria....Or took another route.

http://www.myswitzerland.com/es/offer-Activities_Excursions-Discover%20and%20Exp lore-17312.html

E-mail me if you want: huysmans67 [at] hot mail dot com

Re Uomini contr:
Doing a google, I did see an SRT spanish subtitle, so it means there is at least a bootlet version available. It is a shame that so few of the really good Italian films are available in English.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 05:22 am:   

Saw Climates by Nuri Ceylan. Beautifully shot, understated, Antonioni-like film detailing the breakup of a relationship. A very good movie, but don't watch it unless you like it sloooow...

Brendan Connell
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   

Sounds like it might be worth checking out when I am in a patient mood.

I just watched Samurai Rebellion. Good stuff there.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 01:25 pm:   

Kobayashi...you can't go wrong there.

PM
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 07:43 pm:   

Harakari anyone :-)

Brendan Connell
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 10:45 pm:   

Yes - it's a shame that more of his stuff isn't available. There is a film called "Inn of Evil" of his that I am going to try and get hold of.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 06:51 am:   

Went to the movies yesterday to get out of the house. Bought a ticket to one movie, didn't like it, went into another theater...in short, I saw parts of 10 (already seen parts of Pirates and Mr Brooks) films and found none I could stomach.

Bad...

Brendan Connell
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 07:12 am:   

Ouch :-(

I saw a Chinese film a few nights ago called "Travelling Alone for Thousands of Miles" which I thought was quite good.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 07:22 am:   

I've heard of that. Have to check it out...

Brendan Connell
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 07:29 am:   

Yes, it is good. Certainly not flawless, but far from boring and with some great photography of China. You definately wouldn't have to stop it after 10 minutes.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 08:20 am:   

I've heard both good and horrible things about KNOCKED UP.

I am afraid the gore/horror fan in me is going to insist on seeing HOSTEL 2 and CAPTIVITY. The latter, in particular, looks like 100% pure grindhouse exploitation, but what is Roland Joffe doing directing it?

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 08:35 am:   

Saw part of knocked up. Bleh.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 04:35 pm:   

Watched Narnia last night. It reminded me why I never finished reading the books. Boring story and far too cheesy with the the Christian elements. It made me appreciate Lord of the Rings a lot more, both the books and the film. The effects in Narnia seemed chintzy compared to what Weta's done before.

It looks like the trend of bad fantasy movies will continue - Warner is planning on doing the Shanara books.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 05:43 pm:   

Hoo, boy! It's hard to know what to say.

PM
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 07:04 pm:   

"Warner is planning on doing the Shanara books."

Stick a sword in it.

jk
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 07:51 pm:   

What's next, a film based on the epic fantasies of Weiss/Hickman? Barf.
I thought there was an Elric movie coming out. Hope Nicolas Cage isn't in it. Cage as Elric!

Robert Devereux
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 08:27 pm:   

JK: There's an animated Dragonlance due out this fall.

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 07:03 am:   

Why has nobody ever made Ballard's HIGH RISE or CONCRETE ISLAND? Those would seem like pretty cheap, interesting films to make instead of all this sword-and-sorceror CGI stuff.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 07:12 am:   

Because they're not event pictures--that's what Hollywood's looking for. As to why the Brits haven't done it, no idea.

Brendan Connell
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 02:41 pm:   

Saw Le Cercle Rouge. Another one with Gian Maria Volonte'. Very good.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 02:53 pm:   

NEW THREAD

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |