Patrice Duvic Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » Patrice Duvic « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 11:55 am:   

A friend died the other day. Patrice Duvic, who was associated with the French sf community for years and years. Patrice was a wonderful, generous guy. He had a great time at conventions and would always bring me messages from friends like Jacques Chambon, sadly also dead, that he would forget until the last minute and scurry out of the bar or a party with glass in hand to give me a no-doubt blurred version of the message. When I didn't see him in Nantes last year, I had a bad feeling, because I knew he was in poor health; when I asked about him, and no one knew anything, that feeling increased. How sad that he is gone.

Bob_kruger
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 12:01 pm:   

That sucks. I met him at least once, and he seemed unusually cool for the sf scene.

Jean-Daniel Breque
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 10:16 pm:   

This the piece I wrote and sent to Locus. Mark Kelly adapted it (and completed it) for the website, and I think it will run in the April issue. I think Charles Brown will welcome appreciations. Sorry for the length.

French writer, editor and movie maker Patrice Duvic died Sunday, February 25, aged 61. Born January 11, 1946, he was the son of Geo Duvic, a writer of popular fiction—mostly crime novels—and he first attracted notice thanks to a series of interviews with American SF writers published in Galaxie during the early ’70s—in 1969, he’d had the opportunity to stay a few months in the United States, and he met and made friends with a lot of people at the Saint Louis Worldcon. Back in France, he started to work as a reviewer and an editor, but he never stopped writing, and 1979 saw the publication of two novels, NAISSEZ, NOUS FERONS LE RESTE (« Get Born, We’ll Take Care of the Rest ») and POISSON-PILOTE(« Pilotfish »). But he had kept a foot in the USA and, after a stay at Milford, wrote a story and sold it to OMNI(“The Eyes on Butterflies’ Wings », March 1979 issue). He was very active as editor, putting together in the ’80s a string of “Best Of” anthologies for Presses Pocket (Norman Spinrad, A. E. van Vogt, Thomas M. Disch…), and later on a dozen of volumes whose contents were culled from ASIMOV'S, but his best work was probably the SF line of La Découverte, where he published some of the most important books of the time, including William Gibson’s NEUROMANCER and Greg Bear’s BLOOD MUSIC, as well as books by James Morrow, Robert Holdstock and Tim Powers. In the late ’80s, he edited what became the best paperback horror line in France—he was canny enough to launch it with a reprint of Thomas Harris’ RED DRAGON, which he bought before THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS became a bestseller. He published his last novel, AUTANT EN EMPORTE LE DIVAN (“Gone With the Couch”) in 1996, the novelization of an unproduced movie script—in 1986, he’d written both the screenplay and the novelization of TERMINUS, a movie directed by Pierre-William Glenn. His pet project was a series of interviews with genre writers, which he recorded on film with the help of camera operator Jean-Christian Nicaise. On a personal note, he was one of the funniest men the French SF community ever knew, always mischievous and ready to joke. He leaves a widow, Monique, a book lover and collector like he was.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 10:27 pm:   

Thanks, Jean-Daniel. A great guy...

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register