Vermillion Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » Vermillion « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nathan
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2003 - 03:37 am:   

What's Vermillion about? Is it any good? Worth tracking down all the issues?

Lucius
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2003 - 06:35 am:   

Well, all I can say is that I liked it and Neil Gaiman liked it -- he apparently read every issue and gave me a blurb for it. The trouble is, Vertigo trashed the entire line and I had to fudge an ending after 9 ussues. The story takes place mostly after a technological event that transforms the universe as we know it into a single vast city known as Vermillion, baroque, violent, exotic. The engineers of this event are a mysterious group of godlike creatures known as the intil'imani. Of all the human race, only one man remembers that things once were different. Jonathan Cave. That's the set-up. I particularly like the 8th issue, for which John Totleben did the art -- it's a single issue story and kind of experimental in form. Almost no dialogue.

peterw
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2003 - 08:16 am:   

Sounds interesting. I do remember reading about this somewhere ("The Last Time"?). Doesn't sound like there's any current plans to do a collected book of the issues...? You knew someone would ask.

>godlike creatures known as the intil'imani
Intil'imani - anything to do with the Chilean band Inti-Illimani?

Lucius
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2003 - 10:22 am:   

No plans as far as I know to collect them, Peter. The first 8 issues would make a nice grouping, but no one's suggested it.

As to the Chilean band, that was inadvertant on my part. I'd heard of the band at the time, but had never heard them. I guess the name stuck in my head.

Daniel Read
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2003 - 06:03 pm:   

I enjoyed Vermillion, and the artwork was quite good. Of course I was sorry to see them end prematurely. I missed them when they came out. If you enjoy the comic book format, check them out. Not too expensive. I just checked Mile High Comics and they have them:

http://www.milehighcomics.com

Click on the "DC" link in the upper right and then use the search feature.

Dan

Lucius
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2003 - 07:03 pm:   

Thanks, Dan...

Mastadge
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 11:39 am:   

Well, I've got them and gotten around to reading them. I just finished the Starlight Drive arc and am on Issue #8 now. Good stuff. So why is it that a comic that's better than 95% of the comics I've been exposed to was "discontinued" after so few issues? Was it selling particularly badly or something?

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 11:49 am:   

Y'know, Mastadge, what happened was this. They didn't promote the line, they had this terriic ad with blurbs by Gaiman, Gene Wolfe, Peter Straub, etc, and they just let it lie there. The editor was apparently under some baleful scrutiny -- they billed the comic as an all-ages book rather than adult, like Sandman etc. They made every damn marketing mistake they could and then they dropped it, even though it was clearly building a readership. Pissed me off, because I was having fun.

Anyway, glad you like it. Take my advice, don't read issue twelve -- they made me jam some crap together for the script, just to put a nail in the coffin, and it doesn't go well at all.

Bruce Chrumka
Posted on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 12:40 pm:   

Hi Lucius,

I hadn't stayed tuned to the comics medium until a chance reading of some of Neil Gaiman's and Alan Moore's work just a few years ago. I did enjoy the three issues of Gene Wolfe's 'The Shadow of the Torturer' until the marketers killed the series, and am looking forward to checking out Vermillion. A couple of questions:

1) Would you (or have you considered) a graphical depiction of any of your own previously published prose?

2) Are there any graphical writers or artists in that medium that you particularly enjoy, are inspired by, or recommend?

Cheers, Bruce

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 12:56 pm:   

Bruce, sure I'd consider a graphic adaptation. A couple of projects have been put forward, but nothing's gotten off the ground. I don't really know much about the comics medium. I like the usual suspects. Dave McKean and so own. John Totleben, who did one issue of Vermillion. But I;m really not familiar with the artists.

Matthew
Posted on Monday, March 08, 2004 - 04:43 pm:   

I think Eduardo Risso's art would suit your work, but that may be just me.

Matthew
Posted on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 12:04 pm:   

I found several issues of Vermillion in the back issues of a local comic book store so I might by them. Are they all one story or could you read each stand alone or do they have various smaller arcs?

Lucius
Posted on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 01:09 pm:   

Fist 7 issues are one story, then a one-shot storu, then then a three-parter, then a messy issue in wwhich they cut short the story. You need to read the first acr to have a sense of what's going on.

Matthew
Posted on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 02:50 pm:   

Okay, then. Thank you.

Marcus
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 04:11 am:   

Vermilion was one of the best comics I ever read
and the fact that it was axed just goes to show
what a bunch of short sighted drongo's most comic publishers are. They pay lip service to new and exciting things but rarely promote them well, unlike the superhero comics which they promote to the hilt no matter how bad they are.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 06:52 am:   

Tbanks, marcus....

needless to say, I was that impressed with the folks at Vertigo....

:-)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register