HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Music 12

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » Music 12 « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   

If it was, as Cowell says, a singing competition, the fat Afro-American chick would win hands down.

I'm gonna miss most of this year's rockstar. Be in Europe...Damn! :-(

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 01:05 pm:   

I didn't catch, last night's episode (ballgame), but that's exactly who I liked just based on talent. Has anyone fat ever gone deep in the show before? I'd think not given who's voting.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 01:11 pm:   

Hel-loooo? Ruben Studdard, the Velvet Teddy Bear...

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 01:13 pm:   

I'm sure glad Google is around, I had no idea what you were talking about. :-)

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 01:20 pm:   

But he was black. No fat white chick or guy has ever gone deep, and I don't think there's ever been a fat white girl who made the semis.

ben peek
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 01:56 pm:   

hey, i hear the jesus and mary chain are back together doing some gigs. maybe they'll put out an album?

(though that last one tanked)

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 01:59 pm:   

Yeah, I was gonna say if they put out something like psychocandy, yeah. but...

ben peek
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 02:01 pm:   

i always liked darklands the most. in the later suff i dug stoned and dethroned, but there was a lot of missing towards the end.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 02:03 pm:   

Yeah, darklands too...and i liked it not just cause it had the word dark in it, okay? :-)

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 02:32 pm:   

I've always felt "Darklands" was a forgotten classic.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 02:38 pm:   

Yeah, it's good.

ben peek
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 03:29 pm:   

it's my fav. i might like it more cause it has the word dark in it ;)

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 07:00 pm:   

Their new one is called Tinkerbell and Flower Faces...

:-)

Robert Devereux
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 07:16 pm:   

I almost thought the AI women weren't worth watching. They had decent voices, but ruined the performances with excessive melisma. Pop singers need to be really good to pull that off properly, and they weren't that good.

However, I liked the last two. Lakisha is the person to beat on the show.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 07:30 pm:   

Is she the heavy one?

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 09:31 pm:   

Yeah, Lakisha's far and away the best singer, but she's not gonna win. Antonella Barba, who arguably was the worst of the bunch, has more of a shot and why is that? She's hot. But like I said, a woman's gonna win. They were so much better than the guys.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 09:33 pm:   

And Robert, yeah, the girls were melisimatic, but the guys were too, and couldn't none of them sing hardly....all those reedy, nasal voices doing runs. It was pretty hideous.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 09:38 pm:   

The girl who sang I'm special, she's going home!

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 09:58 pm:   

Actually, Jennifer Hudson was a fat girl and went pretty far...

Robert Devereux
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 04:46 am:   

I barely remember the guys, and I heard them only 2 days ago. I don't think one of them will win unless they suddenly improve.

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 09:37 am:   

Missed the gals, but the more fun guessing game is Which Pop Stars are Desperate Enough for Attention that they will be Featured on AI this season?

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 09:49 am:   

First up is Fantasia Barino. And MJ is rumored.

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 09:51 am:   

Lucius, I think the success of Jennifer Hudson may tilt the playing field for the fat chicks, just as Helen Mirren's success has triggered the rise of the D.I.L.F.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 09:53 am:   

Well, Jen is getting remarkably less fat, you notice. It's apparently OK on Idol to be fat and Afro-American, but fat and white is a no-no.

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 11:12 am:   

Anyone ever get hooked on an album that you know you might eventually not like so much? I've got that pretty bad with Pure Reason Revolution's The Dark Third right now. They're kind of like what would happen if kids who grew up on Nirvana and other grunge bands decided to meld Pink Floyd's music with Beach Boys harmonies. I've barely been able to get it out of the player lately and that doesn't happen much to me these days, maybe one album in two years does it. But my guess is in half a year I'll barely be able to listen to it.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 11:26 am:   

Sounds interesting, though I don't care about the Beach Boy's part so much.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 11:27 am:   

I like Pure Reason Revolution, although they made a mistake with the US version of it. The UK version had "The Twyncyn/Trembling Willows" which was the best song on the album. They pulled it from the US version and replaced it with "Arrival/Intention Craft." I like A/IC, but it's not as good as T/TW.

I'm not sure if it will be an album I can't stand in a year. I already feel that way about a somewhat similar band, Mew. They have a similar lush rock sound, but with a castrato singer. I liked them for about 2 months, but I can't stand them now. PRR hasn't suffered the same fate yet.

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 11:38 am:   

I'm not much of a Beach Boys fan myself, it's an element you hear almost entirely with their vocals, not at all with song structure. With a female vocalist it sounds quite a bit different really.

Apparently the problem with the US album vs the UK version had to do with how long it took them in the studio and their desire to get something out to the public. Thus the Intention Craft single in England and their wanting to include it in the US release. I've heard your sentiment before about Twyncyn (which is indeed good), but for me I prefer a lot of their shorter numbers like Goshen's Remains, Nimos & Tambos and Bullits Dominae (all these have rather amazing pop hooks). I think the one I'm having the problem with the most is Bright Ambassadors of Morning, I'm already really getting tired of the line and it doesn't help they borrowed it in the first place.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 11:44 am:   

Yeah, the repetition of "Bright Ambassadors of Morning" grates. The song itself is the least interesting on the CD.

I found the energy of Twyncyn helped make the last 3 songs work really well together, but taken out and replaced with Intention, it didn't work as well.

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 11:52 am:   

Yeah the tracking is definitely an issue. Twyncyn might be their most grunge-inspired piece with those huge riffs, and for them that's probably not a bad idea to lean in that direction, it balances out a bit of the sweetness. The music reminds me a bit of the same sort of hooks you find on a more recent Borknagar except PRR know how to resolve the tail end of the hooks, where Borknagar often seemed to fake it.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 11:56 am:   

Maybe it's just a bias due to hearing the UK version first. But I do like Nimos better than the song it replaced (The Exact Colour).

They tread the line with me of being too lush, but they're just on the right side. Mew steps too far over it (and if not for having a few really catchy songs, I wouldn't have liked at all). Same with The Dear Hunter (another indie rock band with psychedelic influences and Beach Boys harmonies).

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 12:02 pm:   

What are you guys talking about? :-)

No, I'll probably check out Borknagarmew whatsit...

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 12:10 pm:   

Yeah they're riding along a pretty precarious path, which is why I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do on a follow up.

Lucius, I dunno if I'd recommend Borknagar, they're quite a bit over on the melodramatic side and are basically something of a post black metal band with a screeching/clean vox combo. The members have been clearly getting into prog over the last few releases, so it's all just too epic and grandoise at times.

We seem to be living in a post-rock music era where most of the new bands try innovation by combining 2 or 3 influences.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 12:22 pm:   

I wouldn't recommend Borknagar. Like Mike says, they're also part of general metal trend of being too grandiose. I prefer the sludgier bands. Plus, it's a really goofy sounding name. :-)

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 12:27 pm:   

There's even a metal band named for a town in Cambodia where I spent some time. Stung Treng. It's getting so you can't go anywhere without running into some kind of metal thing...

Anyway, I'll skip Borknagar and go directly to Mew. :-)

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   

Anyone ever check out Olivia Tremor Control? Of the scads of new psychedelic bands, I think they're probably the best.

I posted earlier on my blog about a new New York area band called Titan. They're one of those stoner rock groups gone psychedelic/kosmische and their new album is great, very heavy, very psychedelic.

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 12:33 pm:   

Titan also have a myspace page with tracks if you want to hear. I forget the full URL but their specific page is titanaut I recommend the second sample as a starter.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 12:38 pm:   

Yeah, I really like OTC. Great stuff. They've disbanded now, right?

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 12:44 pm:   

I don't think OTC is really "new." They've been around since the mid-90s, haven't they?

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   

Like late Nineties, I think. Mike's taking the long view.

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 12:57 pm:   

Dave, I meant new more to separate what I'm talking about from the original 60s bands.

OTC were playing gigs in 2005, I've got a few of them, but am not sure if they recently disbanded or not.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 01:01 pm:   

Dave, youre right, mid Nineties. Last album in 04. How are those shows. Mike?

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 01:10 pm:   

Dunno, Lucius, but I'll pull one or two out over the weekend and if they're good I'll send em up with that Miles DVD next week (shoot me an e-mail if there's anything else of interest, I have to go hunting again this weekend). I take it maybe they broke up in the late 90s and then reformed again, but then I saw that little 01, so I'm not quite sure.

Olivia Tremor Control, The - Brownies, New York City, NY 10/20/96 aud c (USA) C [50'08-?]
Olivia Tremor Control, The - John Peel Session 3/18/97 (USA) C [??m-?]
Olivia Tremor Control, The - Emmaboda Festival, Rasslebygd, Emmaboda, Sweden 87/98,01 (USA) C [53'17-?]
Olivia Tremor Control, The - 40 Watt Club, Athens, GA 4/14?15?/05 (USA) 2C [43'55+58'19-?]
Olivia Tremor Control, The - Wicker Park Fest, Chicago, IL 7/30/05 matrix (USA) C [68'08-?]
Olivia Tremor Control, The - Orange Twin Conservation Community, Athens, GA 8/6/05 (USA) 2C [61'07+50'26-?]

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 01:22 pm:   

Thanks, Mike.

I know they did break up for awhie. And I think they're busted up now, but don't know for sure.

A lot of those elephant 6 bands had their moments, but OTC was way the best.

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 01:26 pm:   

That's what I heard as well, to the point where I've never checked out any of the other E6 bands. If there's someone I should have, I'd be glad to hear it.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 01:42 pm:   

I never tried OTC. I suppose I should check them out.

For the neo-psychedelic stuff, my favorite is Porcupine Tree, although they are closer to progressive rock. They had a great Floyd homage before moving in a more metal direction. Although like PRR, they are sometimes too lush (one song had 40 vocal tracks).

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 01:43 pm:   

Well, I thought Beuhlah had some moments. Stay away from Elf Power and Essex Green. A lot of the bands had major contributions by OTC members and one called Pipe you see, Pipes you don't see is a solo project of a guy from OTC. There's Neutral Milk Hotel, of course, whom I don't like but lots of people do. More than that I do not know.

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 01:53 pm:   

Robert, I usually hear Black Foliage as the OTC album to start with but I'd bet Dusk at Cubist Castle would work just as well. They're both great.

I've never made my mind up on Porcupine Tree, the first time I heard them was live at a festival in San Francisco and they had horrible problems with equipment including a busted Prophet 5, so they ended up playing with digital rather than analog keys. They sounded like they had some good songs though. What are your preferred albums?

I'd forgotten Neutral Milk Hotel, they didn't do much for me either. I first of heard of them in the same breath as Dismemberment Plan and never considered either psychedelic (and I quite like DP). Will have to at least check out Pipe though...

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 01:54 pm:   

Wow, I remember Brownie's. I miss that joint.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 02:08 pm:   

Ditto on high marks for Diary and Black Foliage.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 02:08 pm:   

I'll look into Black Foliage. Thanks.

I never cared for Neutral Milk Hotel.

As for PT, I like Signify the best. It's their most consistent album. Everything since then is a mix of really good songs and not as good songs. Stupid Dream is probably the best after it. Deadwing has their best long songs, but the short songs aren't very good.

Their live stuff is good, I prefer the songs on Coma Divine to the studio versions of songs. It's almost the same with the live DVD, Arriving Somewhere.

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 02:15 pm:   

Thanks Robert, I'll have to give them another try. Only show I have of theirs I haven't played yet. I'll try digging it up this weekend. My list says it's a soundboard, so if it sounds good I'll send you a copy.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 06:34 pm:   

Four completely forgettable people went home on Idol. So forgettable that I have no clue who they are. I'd be hard pressed to remember seeing any of them perform on the last two nights.

I listened to a few 30 second clips of OTC, Black Foliage seems worth picking up.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 07:01 pm:   

I think Duks at Cubist Castle might be a wee bit better, but they're both cool.

Did Sundance go home?

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 07:02 pm:   

I'm not going to get to see it, is why I ask.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 05:06 am:   

No, Sundance is still around.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 05:53 am:   

I've heard a few complete songs from Black Foliage. I'm reminded a lot of When (Norwegian musician), except When's albums mix in Middle Eastern music and more strangeness.

I'm reminded a little bit of Augie March on Strange Bird. The psychedelic touches on there made the album good, but they were missing on the previous and subsequent albums. At least I now know where to look for the ideas I liked on Strange Bird.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 06:19 am:   

Is When stil get-able?

I really liked OTC, so I'm interested in anything sounding like them.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 06:30 am:   

Yes, you can still get When's music. The best place to get the CDs is TheEndRecords.com, although Aquarius can also get them (The End will be cheaper & faster). Lobster Boys is probably the CD to try.

Pearl-Harvest is my favorite, but is more pop sounding. Whenever drops the pop entirely. I haven't heard the new one, Trippy Happy.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 06:40 am:   

Thanks, man.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 06:51 am:   

Hmm, Shearwater is going to be re-releasing Palo Santo in April. Apparently some parts are re-recorded, the whole thing is remastered, and there will be a second CD of demos/covers/outtakes. The reason is signing to Matador Records.

On one hand, I am so sick of re-releases of recent material with bonuses and remasters. Porcupine Tree is the king of this, I've bought just about all of their albums twice because of it. However, the preview song sounds damn good.

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 07:51 am:   

When is pretty experimental stuff, I remember first reading about them in Audion magazine in the 90s, they were considered by those guys as avant-garde. Robert did they get a bit more metal lately? I've always been surprised that the End carries them. I think I've only heard Black, White & Grey (if I even got that title right) which is their first.

I usually think of Small Faces and Pretty Things when I think of OTC (that is besides the Beatles and Beach Boys).

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 07:53 am:   

It is pretty irritating, the whole remaster phase, especially since the trend in the market is to crank everything up beyond good sense. 75% of the time I barely need to turn my volume knob up past the "1" notch.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 08:12 am:   

In the early/mid 90s, When was completely experimental. Then around 98 or 99, they transformed into psychedelic pop/sonic collage. The End carries them because they're on Jester Records (weird Norwegian music, run by the singer from Ulver). The Ulver connection is why The End carries them.

Porcupine Tree went beyond remastering. Since the early albums had synth-drums, they replaced the drums with a real drummer.

Even more frustrating is the plethora of posthumous Jeff Buckley things. After the Legacy Editions of Live at Sin-E and Grace, I'm surprised there isn't a Legacy Edition of "Sketches for My Sweetheart the Drunk." It's only a matter of time.

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 08:14 am:   

I used to read about Porcupine Tree in both Audion and Ptolemaic Terrascope in the 90s, I remember when they were basically just a project, the electronic drums probably kept me from investigating.

Makes sense re: When/Jester. I like a few of those early Ulver albums, but could never get into them after they went mostly electronic.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 08:32 am:   

The electronic stuff is the Ulver stuff I really like, although I'm not sure how well it ages. I love the stuff when it comes out, but I barely listen to them once the next CD comes out. I can't recall the last time I listened to the Silence EPs, Metamorphosis, or their soundtracks. But the William Blake album and Perdition City still get played.

But I like all their stuff except for Nattens Madrigal. I think a lot of the appeal is not knowing what they will sound like on any given CD. The style will change and the vocal style will change.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 08:36 am:   

I should also stress that I usually hate electronic music. Ulver's electronic stuff appeals because it still feels organic.

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 08:50 am:   

I love electronic music, especially ambient/drone and sequencer/early Tangerine Dream type electronics. Some of that Ulver stuff had really repetitive beats, that usually gives me headaches.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 09:04 am:   

That seems weird, since there was no programming on their electronic stuff, it's all live playing. I'm not positive about the Blake album though.

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 09:07 am:   

The Blake album and a later EP are the ones I can think of off hand. I suspect I'm the one missing out on the electronic Ulver stuff, they do seem to be well-liked.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 09:13 am:   

Perdition City is my favorite, I'd call it electronic post-rock.

jk
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 07:55 pm:   

Porcupine Tree put real drums on their old albums? I guess it could work since real drums are better than drum machines. Not as bad as Robert Fripp removing the vocals on some of the old King Crimson songs on the box set, and replacing them with Adrian Belew's. Or Edgar Froese ruining/remixing some of the old Tangerine Dream tracks on their box set.
I'm really sick and tired of endless remastered with bonus tracks versions of albums too. I vowed never to rebuy anything again. I've held off on the Van der Graaf and Can reissues so far.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 05:08 am:   

I never knew that Fripp replaced vocals on KC stuff. As for PT, I don't think the new versions are really worth it if you've already got them.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 06:25 am:   

Is it worse to re-release the same album, or to release an identical album? I've felt like Stratovarius has been releasing the same album for their entire career, just the song titles change. Tool seems to be headed down that route.

In one case, you know you're getting the same album. In the other, you don't realize you're getting the same album until you hear it.

jk
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 10:26 am:   

I see what you mean, that's why I stopped buying Porcupine Tree after Signify. I thought any further albums would just be more of the same. Steve Wilson does do other stuff though, Bass Communion is supposed to be pretty good ambient stuff, haven't heard it though. And he had that really awful pop group No-Man, with Tim Bowness.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 11:17 am:   

You'd be surprised by the Steve Wilson stuff. Porcupine Tree first went more pop than Signify (Stupid Dream, Lightbulb Sun), then got considerably heavier (In Absentia, Deadwing, both have songs that could be considered progresive metal). No-Man changed more drastically. They did a good trip-hop album (Wild Opera) and then went in a more David Sylvian direction. Their most recent two (Returning Jesus, Together We're Stranger) sound like a completely different band from the first few releases.

Now he's got another project, Blackfield, for his pop music, so Porcupine Tree seems to be moving in a more prog direction again. The new album due out in April is supposed to be one continuous piece of music.

I never heard Bass Communion, but I wasn't too fond of his krautrock project, Incredible Expanding Mindfuck.

Picked up Black Foliage today, I'll see what I think when I've listened to more than a few songs.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 11:32 am:   

Well, Black Foliage is good by me. Hope you like it.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 11:38 am:   

Is Wild Opera still buyable?

Robert Devereux
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 12:09 pm:   

It doesn't appear to be available. Nothing on Amazon, nothing directly from the band, and ridiculous price from gemm.com.

jk
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 12:40 pm:   

If you try No-Man, I'd steer clear of Loveblows and Lovecries, their first album. It's godawful. You can probably find it at Amazon for 1 penny.
It's fey pop that grates. I don't know why I haven't smashed the cd yet, since I can't get anything for selling it, at least it would give me some pleasure to smash it.
The singer sounds like he's trying to be David Sylvian, but he can't cut it at all and comes off like a punchable prat.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   

Advice taken. Fey pop is enerally suckage.

Thanks, Robt.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 01:18 pm:   

Lovesighs is the same type of thing as Loveblows, combined the two have a few decent fey pop. There was also Flowermix, which made ambient and techno remixes of those two albums. I didn't find it any better.

I've heard people refer to Returning Jesus and Together We're Stranger as "slow core" but I've got no clue what that is (other than people also saying Low is slow core). I'm still not sure about those two. I don't dislike them, but I don't really like them either. I just can't bring myself to get rid of them yet. Wild Opera is the only disc I'd recommend, although I think it's largely due to the song "Sinister Jazz."

Strangely, when I checked the "Steve Wilson Store" they didn't have Wild Opera, but No-Man's Web site seems to have it (http://www.no-man.co.uk/). At 13 pounds, it's more than I'd pay.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 01:20 pm:   

Yeah, 13 pounds is a bit dear. Thanks again.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 05:10 am:   

OTC seems quite good. Normally I don't like short intros and interludes, they feel like ideas that weren't fleshed out. The song fragments on Black Foliage seem to work because they are just sections of continuous music divided into tracks.

And When does sound a lot like OTC, but with a lot of Middle Eastern/North African music, and then samples from old children's records.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 05:13 am:   

Glad you liked it. Like I said, I prefer Cubist Castle, but it's a close call. I think I'll check out When...

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 08:01 am:   

Spent some time hunting through spools this weekend and unearthed most of those OTC shows. I've listened to two of them so far, both are decent audience shows, but I found the band to be pretty sloppy at times. One of the doubles had some severe problems with the vocals towards the beginning, which for OTC is not a good idea, but got better once they got warmed up. I'm not convinced, yet, this band could do on stage, but I've got a few more to try out. Lucius, I also managed to dig up a couple Blind Faith items. Porcupine Tree gig still seems to be AWOL. My place looks like the coaster god had a temper tantrum.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 08:16 am:   

Coasters...I can't tell you how many cds have ended up as that over here. :-)

Anything you come up with...It's great.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 06:55 pm:   

Missed the guys on Idol this week. For the women, Gina was a letdown from last week (she was decent then, really pitchy today). LaKisha is still the best singer of the bunch, but there were two good singers this week, Melinda was the second.

Antonella's Girls Gone Wild type photos will surely help her stay in the game.

I don't know how much more Idol I can stand watching.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 08:31 pm:   

I saw the guys -- they were a lot better, but they still arent up to to ladies. I think the beatbox guy will be around for awhile. I taped tonight's show, so I haven't watched it yet.

Yeah, Antonella kind of laid it all out there.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 06:05 am:   

I watch (make that skimmed) Idol. I thought the best singer was Melinda Dolittle. She tore up My Funny Valentine. But I know where you're coming from wiith not watching anymore. Only reason I watch Idol is I'm working when I watch -- doing busness stuff or writing emails. So my mind is occupied.

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 06:40 am:   

A girl will win Idol. On that we can all agree. Melinda is far out in front. Nobody can touch her for chops. Lakisha and Stefanie are hanging around and can make a move if Melinda slips up. This year's crop of white chicks are B-A-D. Antonella can't carry a tune in an armored car and that hippie chick who did the song from the Six Feet Under ads was even worse.

Nobody is talking about her yet, but Sabrina Sloane is the only contestant who combines hot looks and a good voice. She is a live dog and could surprise people. You heard it here first.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 06:56 am:   

Sabrina Sloane's chin is way too pointy.

I don't think Melinda's way in the lead, but she won last night.

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 07:14 am:   

Sabrina and La Barba can have a chin-off. I think it's about a toss up.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 07:20 am:   

Yeah, but La Barba's got it all over her lookswise...

Robert Devereux
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 07:48 am:   

I kept thinking of Muse's cover of Feeling Good (the 6 feet under ad song). I had to play it to get the bad Idol version out of my head.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 07:53 am:   

Yeah, it was pretty awful.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 05:28 am:   

Two guys who made no impression on me at all. I can't remember anything they sang. The other girl that went home also made no impression. At least the scat singer made an impression, I knew who she was when she was sent home.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 05:53 am:   

Okay. That tells me it wasn't Sundance.

The last thing we heard from her was her singing the line, America doesn't like jazz...

Duh! :-)

Robert Devereux
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 06:26 am:   

Yeah, not Sundance, not Chris Sligh, not the beatbox guy or the bald guy.

I looked it up and it was AJ and Nick, Alaina and Leslie.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 06:38 am:   

I know who nick is, and the scat girl...but the other two are mystery meat...like you said.

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 06:42 am:   

Alaina is the one who sang the Dixie Chix. Yeah, she was kind of blah.

La Barba is safe, but her blahness buffers are fading fast. There are one or two equally bad, but none of the remaining women is worse.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 06:50 am:   

She'll make it to the final six on looks and BJs alone... :-)

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 08:10 am:   

Ahhh, if only life were that simple...:-)

Lucius
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 08:16 am:   

Idol is that simple., I'm afraid.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 06:20 pm:   

Sanjaya should be going home this week. I'd also send home Jared. His performance just made me think of the "Don No Soul Simmons" segment of Amazon Women on the Moon.

Sundance seemed boring, but I'm not sure if you can seem exciting in a Pearl Jam song. Chris Sligh is still my favorite out of the guys, although wanting to hug Seacrest was creepy. Blake is also good.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 06:26 pm:   

Don "No Soul" Simmons...what a great comparison. :-)

Chris and Blake are cool...I think Sundance will make the final. It's on here in about an hour.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 08:58 pm:   

Blake's my guy...I think he's a keeper. Agree about Sanjaya...

Robert Devereux
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 06:32 am:   

Blake has the best chance of winning out of the guys.

On a non-Idol topic, I got a new release from a band called "Shining." It's a weird, almost Mr. Bungle like, blending of jazz, metal, baroque, and video game music. It's weird how I don't like Bungle (or really any of Patton's work), but bands that are compared to Bungle (or even that have members of Bungle) appeal to me.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 06:48 am:   

Never liked Mr. Bungle myself. But will give a listen to Shining. I'm drowning in Miles Davis here... :-)

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 10:37 am:   

After about 802 teenage sluts trying to start x-rated "chat" sites, I finally got a myspace friend request from someone interesting: keyboardist/composer Richard Horowitz, a frequent collaborator with vocalist Sussan Deyhim. I sent Deyhim a friend request and got a nice note back, but she didn't add me..Damn.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 10:42 am:   

I don't get that. What's the virtue of being added to a friends list on myspace?

Robert Devereux
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 10:50 am:   

It's for people who were unpopular in high school. Now they can point to all their "friends" in Myspace to demonstrate how popular they are now.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 10:55 am:   

No value really. I guess you can send "bulletins" to all your friends if you want to promote something. Other than that, it's just a fun/ego gratification thing. But I'm glad he contacted me; his website has some cool music on it.

Some people have hundreds of pages of "friends." Some dudes, for example, like to collect scantily clad babes. I'm proud to say that I have a reason for adding each of my people. I'm so damn noble, ain't I?

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 11:05 am:   

So, no babes?

I can't get interested in myspace. In fact, I think it's loathesome. I may, as previously mentioned, have to do a blog, but I'm putting off the day.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 11:12 am:   

I never bothered with MySpace. I had my social networking time back with mp3.com, before they disappeared.

I can't keep motivated on a blog. It's too much of a one-sided thing, while message boards provide a bit more of a discussion. Plus, my blog was aimed at providing interesting reviews of CDs, and so few CDs warrant writing anything about them.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 11:16 am:   

I like the message boards, and I won't give it up. But like I isaid, for commercial purposes, a blog may be necessary.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 12:30 pm:   

Yeah, but only babes I personally know. :-)

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 12:40 pm:   

Are they scantily clad? :-)

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 01:30 pm:   

A couple were, but they changed their photos...Now they look like pillars of society. :-)

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 01:33 pm:   

Urk. I never sleep with a pillar... :-)

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 01:55 pm:   

My friend Juan has some Pilars of Society; maybe I can set you up with one of them...:-)

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 02:02 pm:   

Well, a Pilar...I've known a couple of Pilars in my day, and sure, yeah...Depends on what society you're talking about. Now the Wildchild Society of Delta Jesus Boogaloo...that I can deal with.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 06:58 pm:   

Jordan reminded me of...who was that really young girl on Rockstar? It was the same sort of trying to be gritty but not working. Antonella was bad, but she'll stick around this week. Gina was more interesting doing a metal song, but she was pitchy. I hope she sticks around, but I'm not sure she will. Haley will go home. I don't think anyone will be surprised with the two best performances or who gave them (Melinda was the best, LaKisha was good).

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 07:02 pm:   

I haven't seen it yet, but I think melinda is starting to achieve separation. I think Ant will make it on the BJ pictures alone... :-)

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 05:40 am:   

Melinda probably did achieve separation, still I wonder if she'll win...

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 09:07 am:   

Melinda achieved separation with a lame, cliched song. Makes her achievement more impressive. I think this is the week Barba says Bye-bye.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 09:09 am:   

I don't know about the Ant. Maybe. And yeah, Melinda's song was lame, but she's got the pipes. Somebody tell me who got kicked off, please, becuase I'm going to be out in the early evening.

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 09:52 am:   

I project an all-girl final. The top three singers (Melinda, LaKisha, Stefanie) are all women. The best guy, who is probably Phil Stanley, is a very distant fourth.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 10:01 am:   

I think Blake will make it the longest of the guys.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 10:07 am:   

I'm with Lucius on this, Blake will be the longest lasting guy. I think he'll make it to the final 4 at least.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 10:24 am:   

THese GI guys make it to the final six, but they don't get to the end. This guy's definitely got a Jim Nabors vibe.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 06:01 pm:   

Idol update: The people who went home were:
1) Jared "No Soul" Potter
2) Antonela. I'm happy to be wrong about when she left, looks didn't carry her far enough.
3) Sabrina. I was surprised on this one, but the fourth was the most surprising.
4) Sundance.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 09:00 pm:   

Sundance....My brother! Argh! I figured Sabrina wouldn't make it, but she deserved better.

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 07:28 am:   

Well, looks are no longer an issue. The only two foxy contestants are gone. :-(

Lucius
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 07:59 am:   

I fancy Gina in a trashy kind of way. :-)

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 08:36 am:   

She has that "Venus through closing time beer goggles" kind of thing going on.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 08:41 am:   

yeah, plus she's a nice girl. Enthusiastic.

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   

Nice girl. Rocker. Rocker. Nice girl.

Something doesn't jibe here...

Lucius
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 01:11 pm:   

Sweet girl. I've met sweet girl rockers, who were familiar with the concept of nasty.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 07:00 pm:   

Another craptacular night on Idol. All the songs were Diana Ross songs, and most did bad jobs with them. Too many forgot the words, and most were still pitchy. Even Paula stretched to find nice things to say about some people (she said Sanjaya had nice hair...that's the best she could do).

Again I found that Melinda was the high point of the evening. I'm not a fan of most of the songs they played, but she took something boring and made me interested in listening.

Lakisha may be wearing thin on me. It seems like she's doing the same thing on each song, she needs variety.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 07:04 pm:   

I almost forgot - I have no clue who will go home this week. There were just so many awful performances...Brandon, Gina, Sanjaya, Haley, the skinny Chris. Even Sligh's performance wasn't great (a Colplay rendition of Endless Love). Sanjaya was the worst, but I have no idea if he'll go.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 07:12 pm:   

Yeah, Lakisha does wear thin -- I haven't seen it, but she's been impressing me that way. Melinda's far and away the best. Sanjaya...if his sleazy hais the best thing about him, whoa...

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 07:11 am:   

craptacular is right. The gay High School indonesian vote must be massive or Sanjaya would have been toast last week -- this week, I don't see it. River Deep Mountain High was just awful.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 07:22 am:   

Are you familiar with the "Vote for the Worst" campaign? They pick the worst current contestant and try to organize people to vote for him/her. Right now, they are campaigning for Sanjaya.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 07:28 am:   

Well, that would explain it. It would serve idol right iif Sanjaya won. :0

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 09:59 am:   

I liked the way Lakisha low-keyed "God Bless the Child." It could have been a real screamer. Stefanie Edwards got unfairly roasted for not unleashing the disco-thump of "Love Hangover," the worst song of the night by leagues. These guys only get 2:00; what was she supposed to do, stand there while the band played dance beats? She tried to tailor the execrable song to the Idol format. I hope she doesn't suffer unduly. Jordin Sparks looked cute and did a decent job, although I did catch one note that was gobbled up in phlegm. (The judges politely overlooked it.)

I dunno, man. Phil Stacey is the only guy I see making it into the final six. After that, the sistas are doin' it for themselves...

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 10:08 am:   

I can't stand Stacey. Blake makes it.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 11:38 am:   

I haven't been a fan of Stefanie, too much melisma....melisma is not necessarily a bad thing, I just don't like her execution of it. Right now I'm listening to The Gathering (metal band, Evanescence is a watered down copy of a watered down copy of The Gathering), and the singer is very melismatic, but she sounds great doing it.

However Stephanie seemed fine last night.

I'm not a Phil fan either. Blake strikes me as the most likely guy to make the final six.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 11:46 am:   

Is he beatbox guy? Great in theory, less so in execution...

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 11:52 am:   

I don't think so--he's the only guy with even a spark of vitality...except maybe Sligh, and I don't think he'll stay...

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 10:29 pm:   

Sanjaya lives. Those vote for the worst people are really doing their job.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 05:16 am:   

I was a bit surprised by that, and Phil being in the bottom 3. Sadly, I don't find the same entertainment in Sanjaya being around that I found with Zayra sticking around on Rock Star. She was entertaining in her awfulness, Sanjaya isn't.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 06:01 am:   

No, he's h0rrible.

Zayra had some talent, Sanjaya is awful...awful...

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 06:52 am:   

Zayra in the top hat singing "All the Young Dudes" was a so-bad-it's-good high point of RS for me.

The Sanjaya lobby is not that powerful...only enough to keep him out of last place.

I don't feel bad for Brandon. He was very dull and very deserving of the early exit. In my AI pool, I had him going first.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 07:05 am:   

There are AI pools? Jesus...

Robert Devereux
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 07:11 am:   

I think Zayra's superhero costume was the high point.

The vote for the worst lobby won't be able to keep Sanjaya in forever. Maybe next week?

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 07:39 am:   

Let's hope.

I didn't like Zayra as much as you guys, but she did have her moments...

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 08:31 am:   

A basic precept of rock: if you can't be good, be wierd.

PM
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 08:37 am:   

or sexy.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 08:37 am:   

Sanjaya is neither. Zayra's charm was she didn't think she was weird, at least in context.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 06:04 am:   

Has anyone heard Tinariwen? They're supposed to be Tuareg rock, and the review I read sounded intriguing.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 06:41 am:   

That's gotta be strange. Nope, haven't heard 'em.

ben peek
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 01:05 am:   

i thought ryan should've gone before zayra. to spare me from that meatloaf like song fucking in the back seat of a car...

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 06:48 am:   

ryan should have been executed/...

Alistair Rennie
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 06:46 pm:   

Has anyone heard anything of Nick Cave's new thing, Grinderman? It sounds really interesting. Apparently a throw-back to the Birthday Party in some ways. Anyone heard them?

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 07:17 pm:   

It's not out here for another three weeks, Alastair. Looking forward to hearing it.

Alistair Rennie
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 06:59 am:   

Me too. I think it's already out in Europe so I should get hold of it by the end of the week. All the indications are that it's good.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 07:03 am:   

I think it's gonna be great. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 07:18 am:   

Grinerman is definitely a throw back to the more raw and ugly style of Cave songs. That's an era of his music I didn't really get into, so Grinderman wasn't really my thing either.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 07:40 am:   

Have you heard it?

Robert Devereux
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 07:57 am:   

I've heard a few songs. I only listened briefly, but it reminded me of the early Cave stuff that I didn't really like.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 08:17 am:   

Actually, I like a lot of early Cave, not the music so much as the spirit, and I found it sometimes cloying when he turned into a British troubadour, though I liked those albums too, particularly the Good Son.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 08:28 am:   

I mostly enjoy Henry's Dream and the stuff after it (Boatman's Call, No More Shall We Part, Abattoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus). I find it a bit weird that I like the more raw songs on Henry's Dream and Abattoir Blues, but not the stuff prior to Henry's Dream.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 08:46 am:   

I like Henry's Dream as well, and Boatman's Call, and I guess all the rest -- still, because I have problems with Cave's tendentiousness, I find the early stuff appealing, more pre-tendtious than tendentious...if that makes sense. :-)

Robert Devereux
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 08:54 am:   

I don't exactly follow that, but there's a good chance you'll like Grinderman. It's just not for me.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 08:55 am:   

Right. :-)

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 02:05 pm:   

Tomorrow night is British Invasion night on Idol.

My prediction: if either of the divas does either "MacArthur Park" or "Goldfinger," she wins the whole shebang.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 02:12 pm:   

Oh I Can't Wait...

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 02:47 pm:   

I can't wait to hear Blake's beatbox rendition of "Ferry 'Cross the Mersey". :-)

Lucius
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 02:53 pm:   

You don't like Blake, do you?

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 05:44 am:   

Got a new amp for my stereo yesterday and spent the evening listening to tunes. Listened to some Miles courtesy of Mike McClatchey, and some Bluebottle Kiss and some Jon Hassell, and i was just grabbibg shit and playing bits -- good to have music back...

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 06:40 am:   

I'm just funnin' with you. I do think, however, he is a bit of a Justin Timbertoes wannabee.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 06:44 am:   

I don't really see the comparison. Timberlake's all about melisma and Blake doesn't do that much.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 08:03 am:   

I'm thinking more of the look and the moves.

jk
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 10:16 am:   

Hassell's Power Spot on Ecm is good too. And Aka Darbari Java Magic Realism is another good one. His latest release Maarifa Street Magic Realism 2 is really great too. It takes different live bits and studio bits and mixes it into a Bitches Brew-type fourth world sound.
I think Eno and Byrne stole the idea for My Life in the Bush of Ghosts from Holger Czukay. He was using primitive "samples" of ethnic voices in 1968 or so, and his Movies release was another acknowledged influence on Eno and Byrne.
Funny, in the liner notes to Eno and Byrne's album, Byrne states that Can(Czukay's band) was doing the same thing Eno and Byrne were at the time of their album. He's completely clueless. Can had broken up about 3 years earlier. He probably meant Czukay.

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 10:21 am:   

the album I played was dream theory in malaya...

This is my favorite Hassell as well, an extremely psychedelic record. Gotta love the Klarwein cover too.

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 10:22 am:   

Also really like Earthquake Island and The Surgeon..., both pretty early releases, but I discovered both a lot later.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 10:29 am:   

One of these days, I am going to a) watch my way through the Can DVD set; and b) find Czukay's ON THE WAY TO THE PEAK OF NORMAL on CD.

PM
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 10:51 am:   

Amazon's got a whole bunch of them...

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 10:51 am:   

Maarifa Street Magic Realism sounds very cool. I like Can in principle better than in practice.

The disc I want to find is Mental Blocks for All Ages by the Dogfaced Hermans.

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 11:04 am:   

Very early Can (1968 Delay) reminds me quite a bit of the Velvet Underground. For a few years, it's actually hard to believe the band could even play, there's some WDR footage from the Damo years that show the band is a virtual train wreck (might be on that DVD). By the time Damo leaves, they're a better band instrumentally, but their really adventurous spirit seems to have left with Damo, although they're quite a bit better live than the studio albums of the time (kinda like Weather Report were too). Don't think they ever topped Tago Mago overall...

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 11:30 am:   

Herbe Hancock was dropping ethnic African riffs into his music long before that, and so were other people.

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 11:33 am:   

You know the Eddie Gale albums from the late 60s on Blue Note? Black Rhythm Happening and one other title I'm spacing. First that came to mind with the African riffs.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 11:44 am:   

And Don Cherry, too, of course.

Yeah...That's right. Eddie Gale.

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 11:52 am:   

I think Art Blakey might have done some stuff earlier, particularly with his non Jazzmessenger albums. Coltrane with Africa/Brass too.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 11:54 am:   

Yeah, probably. I looked up Gale. I can't remember which of his albums I heard. Afro Fire?

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 12:05 pm:   

The one I was forgetting was Eddie Gale's Ghetto Music. 1968. Afro Fire's his latest from 2004. He's been a sideman on a lot of good albums too, Larry Young's Of Love and Peace, Cecil Taylor's Unit Structures and Sun Ra's Lanquidity (among others).

Robert Devereux
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 07:10 pm:   

Idol went as expected...the decent singers did decent jobs, the rest did about the same as they always do. Sanjaya was wretched on You Really Got Me. On the second song that David Lee Roth covered, Tobacco Road, Phil was boring.

Gina...she didn't butcher Paint it Black as much as Ryan did on Rock Star (and she didn't do it in raccoon makeup).

I'm guessing the bottom 3 will be Phil, Haley, and Sanjaya.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 07:24 pm:   

Snajaya must have no self-perception whatsoever. Tobacco Road is a cool song, I think. One of my bands did a sort of jazzy version of it and that's it neatness, you can do it so many different ways. But Phil's too straight to sing it any way but boring...

Whatever happened to Ryan?

ben peek
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 08:07 pm:   

he's making an album...

http://www.myspace.com/rstar

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 08:14 pm:   

god...

ben peek
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 08:15 pm:   

those songs on the site just go on for fucking ever.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 08:18 pm:   

that website...I didn't you had to listen to him. What was that lugubrious horrid wailing? Ugh..

ben peek
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 08:22 pm:   

that's ryan, winning over all the cute girls, apparently.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 08:27 pm:   

No, I'm serious...

It sounded like he was saying "manly" over and over again.

ben peek
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 08:29 pm:   

i ain't going back there, man. you can't make me. one of the others can go there and decipher it. let them take it for the team.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 08:31 pm:   

I ain't going back either....but it sure sounded like "manly" to me...

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 09:22 pm:   

Sanjaya...eek! That was unfuckingbelievably bad.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 05:09 am:   

Going back to Ryan's site would imply you visited it a first time. I'm certainly not going to try.

As for Sanjaya, I wasn't sure if it was his least horrible performance, or if I'm just getting used to him. I hope he goes home.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 06:12 am:   

It was awful. Sanjaya trying to Rock, it was like a snake trying to do stand-up...

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 07:02 am:   

Sorry to say, Lucius, my bottom three are Haley, Sanjaya and Gina. I normally think she's OK, but she really bit the big one last night.

Sanjaya has got to be messing with us. Any follower of Idol knows that "You Really Got Me," the tune that dropped Ryan Starr from dishy contender to roadkill, is a Contestant Killer. Nobody, not even Ray Davies, could pull it off. And his version was so bad...it was the first true ETBH moment on Idol this year. This boy has to go, by vote or by body bag.

Subtle dynamic between Lakisha and Jordin. Lakisha chose an OK song, but not even the best Shirley Bassey 1960s Bond theme. She had a (for her) tepid performance, while Jordin's "I Who Have Nothing" was smoldering. I think she has leapfrogged Lakisha as the most likely challenger to Melinda Dolittle, who can even make a lousy song from "Oliver" sound powerful.

For the first time, I can see Jordin Sparks winning.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 07:12 am:   

Last night I would have summarily executed all eleven. Doolittle sounded good, but sucked. Gina sucked. The "smouldering" whateverhernameis dealt out major cheese...it was all so gruesome. Phil should be in the bottom three for that abortion. I agree on the ETBH moment. SJ was beyond hideous. And Haley's obvious attempt to hump the judges won't save her. my bottom three SJ. Phill--that bald look just ain't getting it. Sanjaya. Gina.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 07:13 am:   

Phil was in the bottom 3 last week, that's why I expect him to be in it again. People rarely catapult out of it unless the give an amazing performance, and he didn't.

Sanjaya does need to go (and least horrible is still horrible...although maybe I'm just doing a good job forgetting his earlier songs).

Jordin could be a contender.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 07:18 am:   

I almost forgot, I got a chance to hear some Tinariwen. They struck me as being electric blues with a North African flavor. I'll pick up something by them if I can find it inexpensively.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 07:20 am:   

That sounds cool. Me, too.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 01:14 pm:   

Watching SESSION 9 this past weekend, I was struck by the s/t, by a Pac NW group with an apparently dozen-year history called the Climax Golden Twins.

Anyone know anything about them?

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 01:35 pm:   

Lucius, upstream you mentioned you've been listening to stuff - has the quality on things been OK? I managed to dig out another Olivia Tremor Control I missed, a Peel Sessions disc. Those almost always sound good, probably better than anything I might send you, so I'll be checking it out soon. It might be the one. Most of them were big disappointments.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 01:41 pm:   

Dave, their a seattle band who do this ambient, electronica, Americana thing -- I've never seen em, but they're supposed to be good.

Mike, my big disappointment has been I can't get the Arthur Lee to play. Otherwise, the Roxy music mix is pretty weird -- faint vocals over din and the occasional hook riff...but everything else is cool so far.

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 01:45 pm:   

Do you know if your DVD player can play DVD+R formats? That might be the issue. My current DVD burner seems to be having problems with the DVD-Rs for some reason, so I've been using DVD+Rs and if your DVD player is fairly old it might not read them. Whatever the case, eventually I can redo it for you in the other format. Did you try out any of the other DVDs?

The Roxy Music is about as good as you'll find unfortunately, they weren't heavily documented in the 70s live, which is a shame because they were an amazing live act.

I think the Decemberists might have been discussed here but anyone have opinions on Arcade Fire? Curious...

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 02:00 pm:   

Arcade Fire is okay, for me; but I played their first ablum a few times and shelved it. I haven't gone for the second.

Too bad about Roxy.

Oops...Lee wasn't purple, so I assumed it was a CD.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 02:00 pm:   

I tried Arcade Fire, but didn't like them. However, their other band, Belle Orchestre, is fairly good. They're considered post-rock, but I thought they were closer to jazz.

As for The Decemberists, I like their prog rock EP, The Tain, but I didn't get into their short songs.

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 02:03 pm:   

Weird, I thought that was purple. Well I hope it works, it's a very cool show, Forever Changes played in its entirely with a string quartet.

Thanks for the comments on AF and D, they sound lukewarmish.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 02:06 pm:   

It works -- it's great.

BTW, Robert, I ordered Tinariwen's first album for 11 bucks new from a Amazon seller.

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 02:15 pm:   

Sweet. You hear about this?

http://www.amazon.com/Captain-Beefhearts-Trout-Mask-Replica/dp/0826427812

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 02:17 pm:   

What is it?

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 02:19 pm:   

A book about the making of the album.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 02:28 pm:   

Oh, okay. I thought that was it, but was confused...:-)

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 02:30 pm:   

I think the 33 1/3 is a series of books on various albums. That's about the limit of my knowledge, but some fellow Beefheart fans seem pretty thrilled about it.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 02:35 pm:   

I don't really care about books about bands or records, but this one might be interesting if at all credible.

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 02:48 pm:   

I think I own maybe 4 or 5 bios. The Zappa book, the Miles Davis bio and a few others. The best one I've read is Deke Leonard's bio of the Welsh group Man, one of the funniest things I've ever read. I doubt you'd even have to know the band to find it so. Other than those, I generally don't read much on music, it's like brain pollution.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 02:52 pm:   

Right. I remember Man, but don't remember if I ever heard them.

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 03:03 pm:   

Kind of a jammy band. John Cipollina (there's some great stories about him in the book) of Quicksilver played with them for a year or so and they toured the US a couple times in the 70s, played at Winterland etc. I love quite a few of their albums, most of them are about to be remastered soon.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 04:03 pm:   

I found one album by Tinariwen, but didn't want to pay Borders level prices. Maybe I'll get it from iTunes. I'm slowly getting more stuff that way, driven mainly by price, and also since most CDs don't have worthwhile packaging. I've gotten fed up with spending time looking for a CD copy only to find I've spent more and the packaging is just a single sheet.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 05:16 pm:   

I thought 11 bucks was cheap, but if you buy a lot or albums, I guess it's not. I haven't moved into the ipod world yet though I suppose I'm bound to -- it just scares me when I hear one of my friends, who I thought reasonable, tell me he's obsessed with loading 10000 tunes on his ipod... :-)

Robert Devereux
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 05:24 pm:   

$11 is a good price for CDs, Borders is usually $16-$18.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 06:33 pm:   

Ryan's re-cap said last night was an all around onslaught of talent. Was he talking about the backing band?

The voting makes me think the voters are mad...Sanjaya and Haley were safe, while Chris Richardson and Stephanie were the bottom 2. Chris is kind of boring, but he and Stephanie got fewer votes than Sanjaya or Haley? Stephanie went home. I wasn't a fan, but sending her home before Haley or Sanjaya is really weird.

PM
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 06:55 pm:   

Lucius, once you embrace the iPod, you'll understand.

I used to think about all the crazy folk walking around with portable CD players.

Then I realized that when I walked from place to place that I could actually listen to music...and I didn't have to carry a CD or even a pack of them.

Then I bought an mp3 player (pre-iPod). While this was an improvement over the CD player it was nothing compared to the iPod.

My life was changed forever and now I believe that the future of mankind could be ok :-)

ben peek
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 06:58 pm:   

i like arcade fire a fair bit--i reckon the new album is pretty cool, but after a bunch of spins, i prefer FUNERAL.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 07:11 pm:   

That mean sanjaya makes the tour. They're stuck with now, they even have to record him. Hee Hee.

But you're right, they must be mad.

PM, I don't want to listen to music when I walk. I never have dug that. When I walk, I want to look around and think.

Ben, I don't hate arcade fire, i just found their music didn't have much of shelf life with me.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 07:24 pm:   

Wait a minute, "Ryan said...." You mean, Ryan is offering comment on Idol? "An onslaught of talent..." Well, compared to Ryan, yes...

ben peek
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 08:39 pm:   

yeah, i got that with arcade fire. i find that with a lot of music, myself.

btw, there's a new art of fighting album. i'm kinda torn on it--on first spins, it sounds kinda bland, but it grows on you, a bit. but not enough maybe.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 09:06 pm:   

Yeah, I find that with a lot of music, but the arcade fire, I thought they might be different when I first heard them....

I'll try and listen to the new art of fighting.

I'll really like what i heard by tinariwen.

jk
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 09:22 pm:   

Yeah, Climax Golden Twins have some Sun City Girls connections. I think Scott Colburn who produced some of their stuff has done lots of Sun City Girls stuff too. And I'm pretty sure one of the Climax twins does work for the Sun City Girls label, and has had something to do with some of the various world music cd and dvds released on their label. I think he recorded some of the stuff on his travels.
Their output can be pretty varied. I have a cd called Lovely which is pretty minimal ambient drone music. Also one called Imperial Household Orchestra which mixes field recordings and weird experimental instrumentation. Sort of like a less rock, more musique concrete Sun City Girls.
That Session 9 soundtrack is out of print last time I checked, but can be picked up used at Amazon sometimes. Great score and movie. I'm still pretty surprised they got commissioned to do a score for a fairly mainstream David Caruso movie.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 10:01 pm:   

The Sun City Girls are no more after the death of their drummer last month.

Sad. They were one of the great adventurous rock bands in America,

jk
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 10:37 pm:   

Bummer. Hadn't heard that yet.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 10:45 pm:   

Yeah, they retired the name and the band. There is some stuff already recorded that will be released, but that's it. I feel fortunate I got to see them fairly frequently during my time in Seattle, and saw them in pretty much every mode, from their very musical to a show in which R Bishop read out loud from Mein Kampf and Gorcher drove golf balls into the audience...

Robert Devereux
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 05:55 am:   

Ryan Seacrest (the host) offered the commentary. Not Ryan Star.

I've heard the name Sun City Girls quite a few times, but I've never heard their music. What do they sound like?

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 06:21 am:   

That's not an easy question to answer. Torch of the Mystics is the best place to start. Asian-influenced rock -- but they were all over the place. Their guitarist, Richard Bishop, has some interesting solo recordings, some Django-esque/eastern influence...They were excellent live.

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 06:42 am:   

I can't believe one of the SCGs died. I am bummed. Just what we need; another great experimental band bites the dust. Yeah, I noticed on the CGTs website that they did a performance with Richard Bishop, so I figured there was a Sun City Girls connection.

I'm so glad I got the Box of Snakes SCG box. I'll bet it's ridiculously out of print now.

Speaking of the death of music, Idol:

My friend Dave had the only rational take on it. Stephanie, despite being better than about 50% of the remaining contestants, had to go because the diva vote was split three and (if you count Jordin Sparks) maybe four ways. The insipid Indian teen idol vote is still a solid bloc.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 06:55 am:   

I think that sanjaya is getting a lot of that vote for the worst vote....

Box of Snakes probably went out of print on release.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 07:00 am:   

Is anything in print by SCGs? Aquarius didn't seem to have anything, and Amazon seems to be $30+ for CDs (or ships in 3-6 weeks, which is code for not available). Gemm.com had one release for $450.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 07:19 am:   

I went to the Abduction Records website to see what's in print and Torch is OP again -- but it'll be back in print soon, I think. SCG have so many records, it's hard to tell which are music and which are not. I did notice that some Richard Bishop stuff is in print, JK or Dave might know more about their catalogue...

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 07:34 am:   

I don't know too much about the catalogue, but my impression is they have a LOT of releases with very small editions. If I absolutely had to get my hands on some SCG pronto, I would check the Other Music website or maybe call the store in NYC. If anyone is going to have something available, it's those guys because they do new, used and collectible.

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 07:41 am:   

Forced Exposure's website is offering BRIGHT SURROUNDINGS DARK BEGINNINGS and VALENTINES FOR MATAHARI.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 08:05 am:   

Those are both in my collection. Both worthy. FE has some great associational material as well that you can find if you search for sun city girls.

jk
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 10:18 am:   

Torch of the Mystics is probably their best, but it's out of print. Sumatra Electric Chair is supposed to be pretty good too, haven't heard it. Lots of their catalogue is pretty uneven, you never quite know what you're going to get. Bright Surroundings didn't do much for me. Pretty loose lo-fi experimental.
For solo acoustic Sir Richard Bishop's Savlador Kali is really good.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 05:21 pm:   

New thread.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |