HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Music 11

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » Music 11 « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 06:21 pm:   

James Brown died the other day. By most accounts, he was not a terrific human being, but he sure could move and he sure could sing.

I was fourteen the first time I saw him. Ting Cherry (his real name) and I were only kids at Seabreeze High who liked "that kind of music." We'd been bitter enemies growing up and had gotten into several fights, but all that ended one day when I saw him coming out of Seabreeze Records (Yes, there were a lot of things in Daytona that bore the name Seabreeze) carrying a Ruth Brown album. We were never close, but from that day forward we maintained a respectful association. When we learned that James Brown and the Famous Flames were going to play at the National Guard Armory, we knew we had to be there.

Back in '61, white kids didn't go to black concerts and vice versa. Our parents would never give us permission, but we could get around that by spending the night at Chad Booth's. Chad was a rich kid with a twisted mind (he collected Nazi paraphenalia and guns, and spoke fluent German) who lived in the guest house on his parent's property and frowned on having his privacy disturbed. Truthfully, his parents were glad to be shut of him--he made them nervous. But getting into the Armory and surviving the evening was a thornier problem. The show was almost two months off so we had time to work on it.

We figured we could get into the armory through the roof -- there was a cupola atop it with vented windows. We made two forays onto the roof and succeeded in loosening three of the vents, creating a gap wide enough to crawl through. Once inside, we could make our way to a catwalk by means of beams and secure a safe place to watch. If we had fallen, we have splattered all over the concrete, but amazingly enough, it went off without a hitch. We broke into the armory in the afternoon, after the band had run their sound check--we scooted between jeeps and half-tracks, climbed up the fire escape at the rear of the building, and from the landing onto the roof. We had a long wait, but finally Hank Ballard and the Midniters, who was co-billed with Brown, came on.

We had a kind of Busby Berkley view of the stage, and when the Famous Flames came on. it was cool watching the horn section, dressed in tangerine suits, make unison moves from that angle. They played for about twenty minutes and nobody complained. The audience was dancing, shouting, having a hell of time. And then it was time for JB.

By the time James Brown crossed over the racial line and became a mainstream icon, he'd lost his upper register and faked the high notes; but this was prime JB, the JB of of Live at the Appolo, and his voice was in great form. All the bullshit he did in front of white people was stripped from the show. He did a lot of blue material between songs and just fucking kicked ass with the songs. It remains one of the three or four greatest rock shows I ever saw. He ripped from song to song to song for a while, and then took a break, dancing with a woman he pulled onto the stage, exchanging insults and jokes with the people, then ripped off more songs. He was on stage almost two hours.

On the way home, we got chased by some black kids, but they fell off as we crossed the bridge over the Halifax, which was the unofficial boundary between the white and black parts of town. Then me and Ting walked back to the Booths in silence, still hearing the music in our heads.

I saw JB twice more, once on a minor league baseball field in Durham. NC, and once in Detrot's Cobo Arena, but that was the best show. I can still see that little sequined figure doing the splits beneath me and hitting these impossible high notes...

So, you know...Rest in peace.

Jeffrey Ford
Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 06:35 pm:   

Thanks for the memory, Lucius.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 09:19 pm:   

Yeah, he was a hero of my teenage years. Him and Little Willie John and Ruth Brown and Etta james and all those people. Hank Ballard was the only black act in the south who could attract a white audience, because he'd recorded one of the big Twist hits; but he was really good too. A lot of great music never got heard.

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 08:08 am:   

Great tribute Lucius. Strangely enough in my pile of DVDs to be viewed, the very top of the pile happens to be a JB show from 1968, so I'm hoping to find some time to wave goodbye in my own way. One of the great performers.

Hope everyone had a great holiday.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 08:22 am:   

Have a riotous new year, mike.

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 08:31 am:   

You know Vinny Golia? Heard another one of those great left coast modern jazz things, a big band (The Vinny Golia Large Ensemble) doing avant-ish jazz, very atmospheric with hints of Sun Ra and the like. Title is "Commemoration," but he has quite a few I've still to check out. I think it's on Nine Winds. The kind of thing that sounds free to the ear at first, but was probably thoroughly written. Gorgeous stuff.

Also, watched some neat Miles clips over the holiday, a couple 73 clips, one from Berlin, another from a movie in 73 that looks like it was called "Prince of Darkness" but was live filmed in USA. And then a clip from Roma 1969 which really blew me away (you may know the boot releases Double Image and Gemini, same show). I'll throw these your way when I do your next batch, getting closer...

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 08:54 am:   

Don't know Golla, but sounds tasty.

The clips sound fantastic.

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 08:58 am:   

http://www.ninewinds.com/Artists/golia.html

(not that this page can be read easily, with the grey font on black background)

This looks easier:

http://www.liraproductions.com/Vinny_Large.html

Robert Devereux
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 09:00 am:   

Having grown up mainly in the 80s, it seems weird that black musicians didn't attract white audiences. That situation has definitely changed for the better.

I picked up Miles's Agharta yesterday. I've listened twice, and I like it quite a bit. I wanted to pick up some other stuff by him, but the selection was limited to Agharta, best-ofs, and CDs I already had.

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 09:08 am:   

Since you dug Agharta, the companion release Pangea is a gimmee. Too bad your section is so limited, on line maybe? I managed to get a lot of my Miles releases through the music clubs like BMG and quite cheap at that.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 05:46 am:   

I'll add Pangea to the list of albums to pick up. The two I had been most looking for were Dark Magus and In a Silent Way. I may need to order them online. Jazz selections are rather limited in the shops I can get to easily (but still better than the selections of classical music).

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 05:30 pm:   

Mike, if you're out there, have you heard of a 70s Italian prog-rock band called St Just? Any good?

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 06:16 pm:   

And there's a Annette Peacock CD on Forced Exposure which is tempting. X Dreams, described as "An oneiric journey through experimental jazz rock, featuring such luminaries as Chris Spedding, Mick Ronson, and Bill Bruford, to name a few."

jk
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 09:16 pm:   

I have the Saint Just album La Casa Del Lago. It's really good Italian rock with a psych/folk/prog kind of bent, lyrics in Italian, but some of it is wordless vocalizing. It's kind of ethereal and pretty unique. There's another album I haven't heard.
There's an Annette Peacock cd called My Mama Never Taught Me How To Cook-The Aura Years which has X-dreams, as well as another album from 1979 called The Perfect Release. They're both pretty good Euro rock with some jazz touches. X-dreams has more jazz guys, Bill Bruford, George Khan, Ray Warleigh. She calls it New Wave Jazz Fusion.
Some of it also reminds me of some of the art-rock type stuff Bowie was doing in the 70's. I like it but haven't listend to it that much.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 09:53 pm:   

Where did you get the St Just? All I can find is the vinyl. Is there a CD?

Thanks for tip on Mama Never Taught Me...

I got a small jones for her music and don't have any at hand.

PM
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 10:33 pm:   

I see a Saint Just CD release for Jan 23rd on Amazon.

jk
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 10:35 pm:   

I got the Saint Just-Casa cd on www.gemm.com It's a Korean bootleg on the Si-wan label. They've put out lots of acid folk, psych, and prog rarities. There's one on gemm now for 58 bucks which is way too much. It will probably show up sooner or later at a cheaper price. Plus there's lots of dicey half-assed sellers on gemm so you have to be careful. I ordered mine from a guy in the U.S. who had 5 star rating, if they have less than 4 star customer rating or so I wouldn't order from them.

jk
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 10:45 pm:   

Just saw the first Saint Just is being released on cd by Akarma in early 2007. Maybe they'll put out Casa too.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 05:40 am:   

Akarma is the label issuing the LP of Casa del Lago, so maybe they will get around to a CD.

Thanks, JK, PM.

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 06:30 am:   

Lucius, I like Saint Just quite a bit, but prefer Casa del Lago over the s/t. Both were reissued on Mellow Records originally and are OOP, the Akarma might be a boot, the Si-Wan isn't (they license just about everything). Saint Just are more a folk group than prog rock, the vocalist was Jenny Sorrenti, sister of Alan Sorrenti who also did some great psych/folk (Aria was just released here domestically). If you have trouble finding them let me know. The Jenny Sorrenti solo album CD reissue was fetching a few hundred on e-bay lately.

Dunno the Annette Peacock.

Happy New Year.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 06:43 am:   

I don't use Ebay unfortunately -- got identity thefted there. I'm gonna try to find Casa del Lago. What's Aria?

Happy new year to you...

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 07:09 am:   

Aria is the debut album by Alan Sorrenti. Both brother and sister have a fairly similar approach to grafting folk music onto other styles. Jean Luc Ponty plays on Aria as does Toni Esposito.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 07:35 am:   

That sounds excellent. I'll pick it up. Thanks....

jk
Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 10:34 am:   

Si-Wan isn't a boot label? That's news to me. It says "licensed from" on a few of the discs, but I believe that as much as I believe Hugo Montes'(another Korean boot label) statement "all royalties reserved for the artist."
Akarma is kind of shady too. Some of their releases are licenced, some aren't. And some of the discs sound horrible and some are ok quality wise.
Si-Wan's discs all have good sound quality though.

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 02:06 pm:   

Si-Wan may have a boot release or two, but for the most part they're definitely legitimate, they license a lot of their releases through Japan and at least some of their releases have their address on it. Akarma is definitely about 50/50.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 08:26 am:   

Today I got Come Across by Bluebottle Kiss. On first listen, it seems good, although not as good as Doubt Seeds.

ben peek
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 05:24 pm:   

yeah, DOUBT SEEDS is their best. COME ACROSS and the album before that, REVENGE IS SLOW, are not bad albums--they show the band progressing to DOUBT SEEDS, and there's a few good tracks on it, but they're not as good. PATIENT is also worth a listen, if you can track it down, and, of course, assuming you got the interest.

the lead of the band, jamie hutchings, did a solo album called THE GOLDEN COACH, but it's a bit on the forgetable side.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 04:05 pm:   

Is anyone familiar with Terje Isungset? I've only heard a little about him, I've heard that he makes his own percussion instruments out of tree trunks, stone, and ice. The idea intrigues me, is he a novelty act, or an interesting musician?

Lucius
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 03:26 pm:   

I am blessed. I just received The Young Gods two disc compilation in the mail, complete with remixes and extras. And I am soon to be receiving a new album courtesy of friend in Switzerland.

One of my favorite bands.

jk
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 07:43 pm:   

I liked that disc of Kurt Weill songs The Young Gods put out.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 07:45 pm:   

Yeah, me too. That was cool. My favorite album is L'eau Rouge.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 02:19 pm:   

They were good live. Saw them in 87 at a club called KOB in Berlin.

Just wanted to make myself sound worldly...

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 03:09 pm:   

I've seen em live several times. In Seattle, Paris (worldly points),New York, Seattle again...They're always great.

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 08:20 am:   

Lucius, do you do John Zorn, Masada etc? I just blurbed an amazing DVD of an Electric Masada performance at my blog, say the word and I'll add it to the pile.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 08:26 am:   

Oh, yeah. I'd really like that. Thanks.

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 08:30 am:   

Will do. Ribot tears it up.

jk
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 07:17 pm:   

Heard a cool track on resonance today by Salah Ragab and the Cairo Jazzband from the album Egyptian Jazz on Art Yard. Pretty cool eastern sounding jazz with a Sun Ra-type sound. The cd is coming out on Art Yard. The lp came out recently too. Sounds like something you might like Lucius.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 07:57 pm:   

Thanks, JK. I'll give a listen.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 08:18 pm:   

The album's not out here. There is an album called Salah Ragab meets the SunRa Arkestra in Egypt.

jk
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 09:07 pm:   

They have the lp at Forced Exposure. I searched Art Yard in the search engine. The cd is coming out soon, I think it was only on lp for the last few years. In fact I think this is the first Art Yard cd. All their other releases have been rare Sun Ra lps. I'll have to check out that "meets Sun Ra" too, that sounds good.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 09:09 pm:   

Cool, thanks.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 09:51 pm:   

Hey, Mike, you heard this one by Rypdal? Vossabrygg [LIVE]

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 08:00 am:   

I think so. Someone sent me a radio show with that title several years ago, but I think it's the same music as on the album. It's basically his tribute to Bitches Brew and is roughly in that vein. I'm not particularly fond of the turntables in this context, but for the most part it's quite good.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 08:06 am:   

Thanks, Mike.

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 09:28 am:   

Looks like I saw Alice Coltrane just in time, she passed away over the weekend. :-(

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 10:08 am:   

Jeez, that's too bad. she was a cool musician.

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 11:36 am:   

Michael Brecker too.

Rich Patterson
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 09:19 pm:   

I'm a big fan of the Annette Peacock album you mentioned up thread, 'X-Dreams'. "Mama Never Taught Me How to Cook" is a stand out track, as is her cover of "Don't Be Cruel". Spedding sounds great in this setting. The companion record to X-Dreams is Bill Bruford's 'Feels Good to Me', which features Peacock, fresh-from-Soft Machine Alan Holdsworth, Kenny Wheeler, and Jeff Berlin. (FGTM pisses on UK). Peacock's is an incredibly unique and sexy voice.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 09:30 pm:   

I a big fan of Spedding, Guess I'll buy it.

Rich Patterson
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 09:42 pm:   

There's a couple rounds of sparring between Ronson and Spedding that should make it worthwhile.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 09:56 pm:   

Cool...

Robert Devereux
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 05:14 am:   

I finally listened to Canvas Solaris, and they're easily the best instrumental progressive metal I've heard...actually the only instrumental progressive metal band that I like.

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 04:12 pm:   

I like them quite a bit myself. Really digging Behold the Arctopus lately too.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 07:22 pm:   

The last two days I've been listening to old Lou Reed albums, getting a retro hit. His day is gone, but a great songwriter. Ever see VU, Mike?

Huw
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 07:57 am:   

I love Transformer and much of the second album (Berlin, isn't it?). Haven't listened to that stuff in ages!

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 08:03 am:   

I hadn't either. But I was writing this story set in the 70s and, though I don't usually write with a soundtrack, I hauled out some Reed and put it on. It's astonsihing how many great songs he wrote...

jk
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 12:07 pm:   

Lucius, have you heard Let's Be Generous? I put it on the other day, haven't listened to it in awhile. It's sort of like Last Exit, crazy out jazz, but with fuzzed up electronic keyboards instead of horn. The keys sound like a guitar lots of the time. Joachim Kuhn plays the keyboards, Miroslav Tadic on guitar, Mark Nauseef on drums (he actually played with a late version of VU), and Tony Newton on bass. It's on the defunct CMP label, but can be picked up used pretty cheap.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 12:16 pm:   

Nope. Haven't heard it. But just ordered it.

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 01:30 pm:   

I dig Nauseef's band Dark quite a bit as well. That CMP was a good label.

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 01:33 pm:   

Lucius, never seen Velvet Underground. Went through the Peel Softly box recently though. Just grabbed some live album of theirs, which I'm interested in hearing because a lot of their shows are really poor on sound quality.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 02:34 pm:   

I caught 'em once. Not great mucically, but great ambience.

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 02:24 pm:   

Just wrote a bit about the new Tin Hat album, I know there's been some talk about Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, Charming Hostess and the like here. They used to be the Tin Hat Trio but have added Zeena Parkins and others to double the band. Some really beautiful and challenging chamber music, really looking forward to getting to know it better.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 03:45 pm:   

Wow. Zeena...of Eliot Sharp's band? Cool.

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 03:47 pm:   

Yep, the world's most idiosyncratic harpist. She's fabulous on this.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 04:48 pm:   

Elliots a friend of mine. A very cool guy. And Zeena is terrific.

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 07:53 am:   

Lucius can you recommend a starter album for him? Preferably with Zeena on board.

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 08:28 am:   

The Gift of Tongues is awesome Zeena, but it doesn't have Eliot on it.

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 08:34 am:   

Thanks Dave - I take it that's one of her solo albums?

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 08:39 am:   

I'd say the Carbon albums Radiolaria and Fractal. There's a duo of Elliot and Zeena called Psycho-acoustic. But Eliott is so all over the place as musician, it impossible to say where to start. He's recorded with everyone. His record with Vernon Reid and David Torn was pretty cool. His blues stuff with the band Terraplane is great. I liked his band with Wayne Horvitz and Bobby Previte, the Presidents. But Carbon is his baby, so I'd try Radiolaria, the newest.

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 09:17 am:   

Thanks for the reccos! I think my first Zeena was probably a Fred Frith record or two, I can see I've been missing out.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 09:20 am:   

Elliot has recorded, I'd guess, more than a hundred CDs. If you ever get a chance to catch him, do so. His solo shows are particularly good.

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 09:39 am:   

Mike, the Zeena is with Lee Ranaldo and drummer William Hooker.

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 10:01 am:   

Thanks.

Lucius, did I sent you a Bobby Previte show?

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 10:07 am:   

Also, do you dig the Fast n Bulbous band that does the instrumental Beefheart stuff? I'm listening to a really nice live show by them at the moment. Just killer guitar work.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 10:09 am:   

Nope, no Previte. I've never heard of Fast n Bulbous, but they sound good.

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 10:19 am:   

OK I'll make sure to add 'em. Definitely check out the Fast n Bulbous CD on Cuneiform though, it's quite excellent, kind of like a NY skronk take on the canon.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 10:45 am:   

Ok, I'll do it.

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 11:05 am:   

I think I found your AEC show (although I've got some more I want to check out), a Pori Jazz Festival performance with Muhal Richard Abrams from 1974. It's astonishingly good, near-proof of ESP. I managed to pull out a bunch of things last night and I'm blurbing em at my site as I go if you want to check out the details.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 11:23 am:   

Thanks...

AEC sounds awesome.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 06:35 pm:   

Hey, Mike...How's that Yma sumac record?

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 06:53 pm:   

PS you don't have a copy of after the rain, by MW, do you?

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 07:49 am:   

I haven't heard the Yma Sumac.

I assume you mean the Muddy Waters album? I'd have to check, I know I just picked up "The Howlin' Wolf Album" from that same era of Chess, so it's quite possible - I'll look when I get home. If I have it it's probably an LP rip, I don't think it ever came out on CD like the one with the white cover. Is Pete Cosey on that one too? And speaking of Cosey, did you hear how he was on one of those Court TV type shows a few years back dragging his guitar in with him? I never got to see it, hell I wonder if it's on utube now.

Listening to a Hendrix show from 1970 at one of our local venues, which is probably the only reason I picked it up, cuz it's pretty swampy. He wasn't doing any jazz though, but right now he's slaughtering Voodoo Chile (Slight Return). Obvious statement of the day: god was Hendrix awesome.

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 07:51 am:   

Oh Lucius, check this shit out. Be sure you're not drinking anything before you read:

"a 6-CD On The Corner boxed set is in preparation (or rather a boxed
set featuring music from this period), although there are no details on
its release date. Its working title is BEY-ON-D The Corner and in addition
to featuring both released and unreleased material from the OTC album, it
will also include music from the Big Fun and Get Up With It albums
(including unreleased music).

Bob Belden is putting the set together (which is great news!) and Paul
Buckmaster has kindly provided him with some additional information. Paul
has also kindly allowed me to add some of his memories of those sessions
to the List and Bob kindly allowed the track listing to be included.

Paul Buckmaster:

"I was present, some time in late May 1972, when Miles overdubbed his
(electric) trumpet on Red China Blues. I had arrived a couple of weeks
earlier, and was by then a guest at Miles' house. He had invited me to
the legendary CBS Studio "C" (the converted-church studio at 30th Street,
in Manhattan)*, and had driven us there in his Lamborghini Miura. He
played a couple of takes - I had the feeling he was doing this partly "for
fun", and partly as a favour to the producer/artist.

Miles asked me to be out in the studio with him as he was laying down his
takes, and it is here that I noted something very interesting: his
electric horn was being played through a tall amplifier, a Yamaha, I
believe and it may well have had MILES DAVIS stencilled on the side (I
believe Yamaha had given Miles all the amplifiers for his bands at that
time, as a promotion).

Red China Blues Miles' overdub session was sometime in the last week or so
of May. All the other parts, i.e., rhythm and brass, had already been
recorded at an earlier date, which I presume is the March 9th, 1972 date
you (Bob Belden) refer to.

The June 1st date CBS Studio, either "B" or "E" at 52nd Street, Manhattan,
New York ("C" is the converted church at 30th Street) (I played
electric 'cello, either on this date, or on the June 6th date) - I was
plugged in to a Yamaha guitar amp., or possibly thru a Fender Twin Reverb,
thru a wah-wah pedal, and my sound sometimes resembled that of Miles'
electric horn - he commented on this, saying he couldn't tell which was
which, at times. I personally was never able, later, to distinguish what I
was playing...it's possible, even probable, that it never even got to
tape, but, at the time, I recall knowing what I had played and could hear
it in playback, or so it seems...it's nearly thirty-five years ago!

The June 12th date. (According to http://www.jazzdisco.org/miles/dis/ this
was at CBS Studio "E", 52nd Street, Manhattan, New York)

For the record, I composed certain parts of the thematic material for the
June 6th, and June 12th dates; Miles having given me the other parts in
dictation, either playing them at the piano in his house, or scat-
vocalizing them. When he did this, I sang and/or played these fragments
back to him, and he either corrected me, or said, yes, that's right, at
which point I quickly jotted them down on score-paper. Miles encouraged me
to add sections, saying, now, Paul, take that to the next phrase, or next
part; I then added like a "B" section, or a bridge-like section, and so on.

The thematic, or motivic, material was for the front-line, and for the
keyboards, with some notated drum figures.

This is evident on all the recordings - except for the June 1st date,
which is much more just a general jam, with some notations from me as to
key-mode (E flat), some very sketchy front-line motifs, and some rhythmic
stuff - and I'll confirm the exact numbers, where the thematic elements
from Miles and me occur, from the CDs.

The June 1st and June 6th dates both took place at the Columbia 52nd
Street studios; can't remember which room, but I can remember the
elevators, and the coffee!

I do believe Chick Corea also plays synth (an ARP AXXE!) on the June 1st
date: I believe it was a very new device on the market, and he was trying
it out, discovering what it could do; I think he's responsible for the
sounds that resemble colonic functions and flatulence - I have a vivid
memory of him pulling faces as he was playing those fart-like sounds,
shape-shifting his lips and mouth in various humorous contortions as he
played...

* I Googled CBS Recording Studio E, 1972, and got some great info: the
first page is: reevesaudio.com/vintagesessions.html There's a couple of
photos of Frank Laico! Also, http://www.jazzdisco.org/miles/dis/ looks
like a very valuable resource!
Paul Buckmaster

MILES DAVIS BEY-ON-D THE CORNER
Note that these track listings and notes are still being finalised, but
you get a good idea of what's in store.

> CD1
>
> 1. Red China Blues (A) 4:07
> 2. Black Satin (E) 5:20
> 3. On The Corner/New York Girl/Thinkin' Of One Thing And Doin'
Another/Vote For Miles ( 19:59
> 4. One And One (C) 6:09
> 5. Helen Butte/Mr. Freedom X (master) (C) 23:18
> 6. Big Fun (K) 2:30
> 7. Holly-wuud (K) 2:52
>
> track 1 from stereo LP master of GET UP WITH IT (KG 33236)
> tracks 2-5 are the stereo LP master of ON THE CORNER (KC 31906)
> tracks 6 & 7 are the masters for 45 single (4-45946)

> CD 2 (78:00)
>
> 1. On The Corner (session reel) ( 19:41 from 6/1/72
> 2. On The Corner (tk 4) ( 5:56 from 6/1/72
> 3. One And One (session reel) (C) 18:15 from 6/6/72
> 4. Helen Butte/Mr. Freedom X (session reel) (C) 23:37 from 6/6/72
> 5. Jabali (co 112578 - what take??) (D) 10:51 from 6/12/72

> CD 3 (70:00)
>
> 1. Ife (D) 21:34
> 2. Untitled "Test" (master edit - no co #)) (F) 14:28 from 8/23/72
> 3. Rated X (G) 6:51
> 4. Untitled (co 112991 tk 14) (H) 17:39 from 11/29/72
> 5. Untitled (co 112991 tk 15) (H) 9:13 from 11/29/72
>
> track 1 from stereo LP master of BIG FUN (PG 32866)
> track 3 from stereo LP master of GET UP WITH IT (KG 33236)

>
> Beyond the corner -2-
>
> CD 4 (58:00)
>
> 1. Billy Preston (I) 12:36
> 2. Untitled Original A (co 112995 - tk 1) (J) 12:48 from 73-01-04
> 3. Big Fun/Holly-wuud (co 113845 - tk2) (K) 6:30 from 7/26/73
> 4. Big Fun/Holly-wuud (co 113845 - tk3) (K) 7:03 from 7/26/73
> 5. Untitled (co 113846 tk 5 or 5b in protools) (K) 3:20 from 7/26/73
> 6. Untitled (co 117297 tk 4 need to edit) (M) about 16 min from of
9/18/73
>
> track 1 from stereo LP master of GET UP WITH IT (KG 33236)
>
>
> CD 5 (64:25)
>
> 1. Calypso Frelimo (L) 32:08
> 2. He Loved Him Madly (N) 32:17
>
> Both tracks from stereo LP master of GET UP WITH IT (KG 33236)
>
>
> CD 6 (74:00)
>
> 1. Maiysha (O) 14:53
> 2. Mtume (O) 15:11
> 3. Mtume (take 11) (O) 7:27 from 10/07/74
> 4. Untitled Original D (co 121772 tk 2 overlapped) (P) 18:39 from 11/6/74
> 5. Untitled E (co 121773 tk 14) (P) 12:00 from 11/6/74
> 6. Untitled Latin/Minnie Ripperton (co 121827 tk 7) (Q) 4:01 from 5/5/75
>

Lucius
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 08:19 am:   

That Buckmaster shit's hilarious. Jesus.

Sounds like an awesome set.

Yeah, the Nuddy Waters thing, after the rain. I can't recall if Cosey's on it, but I think so. It was the better of the two albums, I thought.

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 08:22 am:   

I think this came from a Captain Beefheart list, but it was great to wake up to. I remember the initial list of all the Miles sets and this one wasn't on it (I thought we'd be getting those Antibes 69 sets first).

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 08:24 am:   

Yeah the Buckmaster stuff is hilarious, I can imagine him following Miles around for samples of hair and skin.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 08:49 am:   

Musicians are freaks, man. One time, I recall, I saw Charlie Haden and talked to him for a while after the show, and all he could talk about was how he was losing his hearing and what he was doing to help it. His drummmer told me that Charlie could hear a flea fart and was just obsessing about his hearing.

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 08:56 am:   

Yeah, I think dealing with some of them ended my musical career, I like to think I'm at least somewhat rational, at least post-coffee. I remember one of my last moments in a band loading up for a gig. I suggested we load the back of the truck a certain way, waited for 30 minutes while a couple other members hashed out ways to do it differently, only to have the truck loaded like I suggested in a first place. :-)

Lucius
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 09:16 am:   

Musicians can tell each other the same stories. Exactly the same. There should be a code like with comedians. You know, one guy says to another, "Number forty-seven," and the other guy breaks up.

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 09:21 am:   

Indeed. I've got a friend who's an engineer working for Linda Perry in LA, probably one of the biggest studios in music, and the stories are exactly the same, pro studio or ratty garage.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 09:27 am:   

BTW, my novella in F&SF this June deals with the music biz somewhat. Stars Seen Through Stone. But re the stories, I'm one of the few people who didn't find anything funny about "Spinal Tap." :-) My brother-in-law sat there and watched without cracking a smile. To us, it was a horror movie.

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 09:37 am:   

LOL, isn't it though? Nigel in particular makes me cringe (I was a keyboards player in my last band and was drowned out constantly). In this context it makes sense to talk about The Real Frank Zappa Book as well, he distilled some of this into a few wonderful pages. Especially the bassist/failed guitarist, I think everyone knows one or two.

Looking forward to the novella (although that goes without saying really :-)), it's going to be in the new PS collection too isn't it?

Lucius
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 09:48 am:   

Yup, in the new collection. A little earlier in F&SF.

I'll have to check out the Zappa. Or maybe not. :-)

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 09:56 am:   

It's kind of a classic among music autobios, one of the few books I've read more than once.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 09:58 am:   

I better look at it, then.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 10:13 am:   

The Zappa bio is good.

I'm not sure if you've read the "Mixerman Diary" which appears to be a fictional account of somebody recording and mixing a famous band. It seems like one of those Spinal Tap things...supposedly funny, but really just an accurate reflection of the music world.
http://www.mixerman.net/diaries_main.php

Lucius
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 10:33 am:   

That's some funny stuff. Thanks, Robert.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 07:24 pm:   

Mike, I got your package. Wow. I can't thank you enough.

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 07:38 am:   

Great - did you end up checking out any of those scents?

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 07:49 am:   

Yeah, I ordered me the triple amber and the sandalwood. My girlfriend likes sandalwood. ;)

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 08:10 am:   

Sandalwood is amazing stuff, I think only aloeswood has more grades of quality. As far as stick incense goes, you can't get better sandalwood than that line. The very high end white sandalwood comes in the charcoal style where its dipped in the oil. Those sticks are like 50-75 cents each.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 11:31 am:   

Used to use a nice sandalwood cologne (Joop), but one of our secretaries was allergic...:-(

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 11:48 am:   

Yeah sandalwood is a lot like patchouli, you either love it or hate it. "Smells like hippies," I often hear...

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 12:27 pm:   

like teen hippies?

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   

Uh, classy, good-smelling hippies...

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 01:14 pm:   

Somebutnotall hippies, especially deadheads, love patchouli oil. Indian patchouli is quite a bit different though, a lot sweeter and mellower.

Incensewise I tend to prefer the resins like Frankincense, copal, benzoin etc.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 01:30 pm:   

As a lark, I had a place near my house add myrrh to my shampoo once. I went around smelling like a wet ferret for two months. I don't recommend it.

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 01:37 pm:   

Myrrh varies extremely in quality, probably more than any resin, a lot of what's sold in stores (at least the resin form) is pretty low quality, probably Myrrh not grown in the right climate. The good stuff is pretty amazing though, but yeah it's better used as hints in a blend rather than pure. Frankincense or benzoin tend to be the base resins for a lot of incense, particularly what's used in Roman Catholic churches. There's nothing like high quality white frankincense, usually has a nice citrusy/pepper tint to it.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 08:12 pm:   

Anyone heard Yo La Tengo's I Am Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass? I just heard two songs off the album and they were cool.

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 07:56 am:   

I haven't played it yet, but I hear they're great, in fact I grabbed a DVD or two of their live shows as well. Kind of strange though, they've been around for over 20 years and I'd never even heard of them until the last year or two. Beat Your Ass is like their 9th or 10th album.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 08:07 am:   

i really like yo la tengo in the 90s, but they made a couple of records I didn't care for in the oughts, and I didn't keep up wih them. The new one sounds good.

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 10:39 am:   

Among the weirder things to happen in music, apparently Lou Reed is creating a meditation album:

http://www.chartattack.com/damn/2007/02/0611.cfm

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 10:42 am:   

Wow, pretty strange. I might get that out of curiosity.

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 11:08 am:   

I've always thought meditation albums are kind of contrary to the point of meditation anyway, like there aren't enough distractions as it is.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 11:45 am:   

I don't even try. My mind's too busy.

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 11:49 am:   

It's hard work, no doubt.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 11:56 am:   

It might cool to do,but I just don't have time.

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 12:07 pm:   

Its benefits come more with persistent practice, so I know what you mean. Plus, it's like walking off the map.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 12:09 pm:   

That would be good...I think. :-)

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   

It kind of reminds me of the end of your "Jaguar Hunter" story, which gave me an "on and over the threshold" sort of feeling.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 01:07 pm:   

Hmmm....I guess...well...I'm not too sure. Maybe next life. :-)

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 02:57 pm:   

I'm just hoping I don't come back as a banana slug. Or a tick. :D

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 03:14 pm:   

Well, it'll be a quick misery. Or hey, maybe being a banana slug, time flows like banana syrup and you experience millennia of exstacy...

Robert Devereux
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 05:45 am:   

I just started listening to The Mercury Program. They have a lot of what I like about Talk Talk, it's the expansive and jazzy side of post rock, but with more aggressive guitar (not metal, just a bit like a heavier garage band). On the CD I tried, there are some vocals, but they're barely present. Apparently they dropped vocals on the next disc. Anyone else know them?

Lucius
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 07:38 am:   

I listened to an old EP of theirs a long while back and really liked it. But I never followed up. Maybe I'll give them a shot -- they have a newish album called Confine of Fire.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 08:27 am:   

The CD I heard was From the Vapor of Gasoline. I believe Confine is a split with Masarati (another instrumental band, they didn't engage me as much).

Lucius
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 08:36 am:   

That's new? Well, one way or the other, I'll give it a shot. I don't much care for Mogwai, a band to which they're compared, but they sound more interesting to me

Robert Devereux
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 09:04 am:   

Confine is the newest, and Vapor was their 2nd or 3rd release. I'll eventually check out more, but Vapor is hitting the spot right now.

Most of Mogwai's stuff didn't do anything for me either. Except their most recent, which has some good tracks.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 09:17 am:   

I gave up on Mogwai--don't know if I'll go back. Too much music...

ben peek
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 06:47 pm:   

the recent mogwai bored me, man. i'm digging a band called kayo dot at the moment--listening to tracks off their myspace. anyone know much about them?

Lucius
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 06:54 pm:   

Yeah, I think robert and jk both like them.

Myspace drives me mad. :-)

ben peek
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 07:03 pm:   

yeah, if not for finding bands, i'd have no use for myspace at all. all i do on it is jump from band profile to band profile--it's a good way to find things not usually round here.

the other day i found a swedish 'black metal' group (i don't even know what black metal is, really) called samaruj cities. they're pretty cool sounding--might try and order the ep in a bit.

so myspace has its uses. well, one. :-)

Lucius
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 07:05 pm:   

It's a good place to have a piss. I like going there and listening to the varous Mad World videos between paragraphs. :-)

ben peek
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 07:10 pm:   

myspace: it's a good place to take a piss.

now doesn't that just sum the whole thing up nicely?

:-)

Lucius
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 07:20 pm:   

Yup. :-)

Robert Devereux
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 05:09 am:   

Kayo Dot is interesting, although their future is unclear. They seem to rotate members between albums, a few leave and a few more come in. However, this time, only two members are left...but they are the ones who most defined the sound - writer/singer/guitar, and violin.

I didn't find them interesting live, but their two albums are good, and if you like those, you can try the earlier band with some of the same members: Maudlin of the Well. They are a similar, but cover a lot more territory, and also are a bit more spastic.

ben peek
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 12:29 am:   

which of the albums do you recommend?

i reckon i'm unlikely to see them live. that's the shame with a lot of international acts out here--it's an expensive place to come, and when you get an international gig, you're paying more than the acts are usually worth.

PM
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 07:04 am:   

"i don't even know what black metal is, really"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_metal

Some metal bands sing of their love for Satan. I've always thought of those bands as being if not entirely black metal at least partially black metal.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 07:28 am:   

I love me some devil music -- Fields of the Nefilim is my favorite.

jk
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 10:41 am:   

Fields is like a Sphagetti western metal band aren't they? At least their early stuff. Heh heh. Haven't kept up with anything since Carl left in the 90's. I guess he's come back? He had that Nefilim release too. Sounded more metal than Fields, from what I heard of it.
I need to rewatch Richard Stanley's Hardware. Carl Mcoy from Fields has a cameo in it. I think Stanley directed some of their early videos too.
I think that early Fields stuff had a big Austin Osman Spare infuence too. Earth Inferno and all that.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 10:53 am:   

Yeah, I think Morrocone was involved with them, wrote some songs or produced an album...I'd have to check. The new Carl didn't do it for me, but the old....I love that shit. And yes, he had a cameo in Hardwired, also did some music. He was the guy who found the robot out in the wastelands -- a trash collector of sorts.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 02:38 pm:   

Choirs of the Eye is the more consistent Kayo Dot album. I really like Dowsing Anemone, but the last two tracks are really droning.

As for black metal, there's a lot of confusion over what separates death metal and black metal. Some view it as lyrical (black metal is pagan or Satanic). Some view it as sound (death is low and guttural, while black is higher and harsher). Some jokingly say that black metal is simply death metal with shitty production. There is some truth to that, since a lot of black metal sounds terrible.

ben peek
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 05:20 pm:   

thanks robert.

i tend to think black metal is the term for bands who don't want the satan loving stigma of death metal.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 05:54 pm:   

Is there such as thing as blood metal? Or icky metal?

ben peek
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 06:28 pm:   

god, could you just imagine blood metal?

hey, you reckon metal artists sit round like genre writers, and bitch and moan about genre definitions? for some unknown reason that seems funny to me :-)

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 06:49 pm:   

I'm thinking about blood metal, lately. Seriously.

As for metal artists, in my experience they aren't smart enough to have concerns like that, most of them, though god knows that doesn't take much intellect.

ben peek
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 06:55 pm:   

what is blood metal then? got a manifesto for it ;)

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 07:20 pm:   

Not yet. But I can maybe play a little on my guitar, though the old Fender tube amp I've got isn't right for the sound I want. I let you know when manifesto time comes. Basically it'more purely nihilistic than death metal, none of the goth trappings, not blurred like punk, but with some punk in it, stingier, nastier leads, with a pulsing, reverb-y bottom (second guitar and bass), and lyrics by me. :-)

ben peek
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 07:42 pm:   

that last part is going to make it easier to define, that's for sure.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 07:57 pm:   

Yeah, maybe. It's fun to mess around with. I may use it in a story. I guess if anything it reminds me of some eccentric Finnish bands I've heard, like...what's that one, tau dengen or something? A little like that, but bloodier... :-)

Robert Devereux
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 05:49 am:   

"hey, you reckon metal artists sit round like genre writers, and bitch and moan about genre definitions?"

Musicians do it, but the fans do it even more. There are a huge number of metal fans who are obsessed with genre definitions and whether one band is melodic death metal or just death metal, progressive metal or symphonic power metal.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 06:40 am:   

you know people, metal players, who sit around a practice room and say, "What was that we just played? Do you reckon that sounded a little death metallish?" And the bass player says, "I dunno." Stuff like that? Man, I hate when the intellectuals take over the music biz! ;)

I don't think I ever heard a conversation about what sub-genre we were in in any band i was ever part of. I heard some dumbass conversations, but I don't think we ever touched on that. 'Course this was before the proliferation of the sub-genres, so maybe you get more of it now. I imagine you get some musicians worried about being too emo...at least I know I would. :-)

PM
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 06:58 am:   

It's an effort to describe music.

It's problematic when inaccurate descriptions gain traction. The lepidopterist doesn't want to be known as the foot doctor.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 09:57 am:   

But, grasshopper, when a butterfly lands on a beautiful foot, the discipline of the beholder matters little.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 11:33 am:   

speed metal
death metal
black metal
prog metal
glam metal
thrash metal

Wikipedia lists thirty different subcategories. A bit ridiculous, eh? I'm waiting for a band with a name like A Touch of Paprika or Bunnyslippers to inaugurate pink metal. Now that might be entertaining.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 11:34 am:   

Oh, and Lucius, it just struck me. "Seabreeze High" is the name of the next hit tv series. :-)

Lucius
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 11:44 am:   

But do they have blood metal...? :-)

Well, if that's true about Seabreeze, I can write it. It was kind of this rich kid school. Most of the people who lived on the beach side of Daytona had money...I only went because my mom taught there. Lots of crazy shit happens in a resort town high school, what with NASCAR fans and Spring Break and the bikers during Bike Week, etc.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 12:09 pm:   

Wikipedia is slacking...if you read the tags at Last.fm, they have 433 different types of metal
http://blogs.sun.com/plamere/entry/422_shades_of_metal

No blood metal, but they do have "bluegrass prog funk hardcoremetal" "gay metal" "humppa metal" and "pirate metal"

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   

How about "gay pirate metal"?

Lucius
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 12:16 pm:   

Jesus! Gay metal I can understand, but humppa metal and pirate metal... I mean, go figure!

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 01:41 pm:   

I'm just finishing up my pirate/rap metal disc, "Yo,Ho! Ho! (and a Bottle of Rum)".

Lucius
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 02:00 pm:   

Wouldn't that be Yo,Ho,Ho, and a Malt Liquor 40?

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 02:19 pm:   

Everybody's a critic...:-(

Lucius
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 02:41 pm:   

On this board? Yeah, pretty much!

ben peek
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 07:12 pm:   

wow. pirate metal.

i could just imagine the metal musicians sitting round, and the singer going, 'i told you guys, parrots. if there's no fucking parrots in this song, it's not a pirate song.'

'but we reference the muppet treasure island.'

'do you wanna be a joke all your life?'

ben peek
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 07:15 pm:   

ha. i love this list:

true black metal.
suicide black metal.
post black metal.
black death metal.
atmospheric black metal.
folk black metal.

hahaha.

i had to stop looking after that.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 07:28 pm:   

I wonder, would Death Beak by pirate metal? The singer is an actual parrot.

I wish I were making that up.

ben peek
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 07:41 pm:   

...do the rest of the band dress up in pirate suits? or bird suits?

Lucius
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 07:49 pm:   

Or do they disguise themselves as...death beaks!
Death Beak?

My God!

ben peek
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 07:54 pm:   

they are actually called hatebeak and you can sample a track here:

http://www.reptilianrecords.com/reptilian/hatebeek.html

my.

words don't do justice.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 07:58 pm:   

Jesus Christ! Some of those records are sold out!

ben peek
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 08:07 pm:   

have you listened to the sample, man?

Lucius
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 08:10 pm:   

does blackened heavy metal come with hush puppies?

Lucius
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 08:11 pm:   

Yeah, I heard. Christ, these are the end times...

ben peek
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 08:15 pm:   

if the end of the world began tomorrow, i would expect this to be, like, the theme music.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 08:19 pm:   

Exactly. Apocalypse by God, music by Hatebeak. :-)

ben peek
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 08:20 pm:   

i seem to be unable to get it out of my head, too. i'm sure this is a bad sign.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 08:23 pm:   

It's not good, that's for sure. Maybe as an antidote you should listen to some happy metal.

ben peek
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 08:26 pm:   

nah. i think i'm going to go write a pirate story now. i'm all inspired ;)

Lucius
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 08:29 pm:   

It better be good if it's to live up to it's inspiration.

I think I'll write a revenant budgie story. :-)

ben peek
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 08:36 pm:   

i hear that's already been done, man, so you better write the pro-drug version :-)

jk
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 09:22 pm:   

I think there's a Christian Black Metal band. I bet they rock!
There should be Dwarf Black Metal. The singer in Abruptum is a dwarf who supposedly tortures himself while singing, to get those special screams.
I think Steven Seagal should start a black metal band after his blues cd hits all the cut-out bins. He already has black shoe polish on his head, he just needs to put on some corpse paint.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 09:27 pm:   

chistian black metal's on the list. I'm waiting for baby spit-up black metal.

PM
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 06:20 am:   

We need a baby cleanup...

Where's the explicit kitten black death metal? It meows to be heard.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 06:29 am:   

Darn, I got the parrot metal band's name wrong. My metal cred is completely gone now. :-)

I can't think of any Christian black metal bands, but I generally ignore black metal. I know there was once a band called Believer, a Christian death metal band.

I also recall a band that billed themselves as "Vedic Metal." They seemed like a normal death metal band, but with some Indian music in the intros.

I still have no clue what "humppa metal" would be.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 07:18 am:   

I think humppa is a Native American word, so maybe that's a clue...

Metal Cred? After hearing that MP3, I'm not so sure anyone two-legged has metal cred...

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 07:37 am:   

I would like to announce that I am now accepting tapes from musicians who would like to audition for PABULUM, my "adult-baby death metal" band. Anyone who enjoys dressing in diapers and/or bonnets, sucking on binkies, being spanked/burped and who has proficiency on guitar, bass or drums is welcome to apply. I am currently writing lyrics for our debut disc, provisionally entitled CRIB DEATH.

Serious applicants only.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 07:39 am:   

I looked up humppa in Wikipedia, and it says "Humppa is a type of music from Finland. It is related to jazz and very fast foxtrot, played two beats to a bar. Typical speed is about 250 to 280 beats per minute." I at least have a clue now.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 07:50 am:   

Oops. I was wrong about hummpa. Man, Finland comes up with some weird stuff.

You know, there already is sid metal -- maybe they just left off the final s.

PM
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 08:27 am:   

Re: Pabulum

If I can't sing lead vocal then WAAAHHH!!!

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 08:34 am:   

WAAAAHHH is the name of a song off the Diaper Rash EP.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 08:36 am:   

Hey, watch it, PM! That's the first single off the disc! There is such a thing as copyright, you big stinky!!

PM
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 11:20 am:   

Which then justifies the existence of lame metal.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 11:53 am:   

Geek metal? Or is that redundant?

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 12:01 pm:   

Here's one...natty dread metal.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 01:15 pm:   

Fuzzy fetish metal.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 01:16 pm:   

Haute couture metal....

Robert Devereux
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 06:42 am:   

I picked up another Mercury Program CD, "A Data Learn the Language." It's all instrumental, and not as interesting. It's more laid back and never really delivers the same feeling that "From the Vapor of Gasoline" delivered. It works OK as background music.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 07:21 am:   

That's too bad. I'm currently musicless -- my stereo systen went zonk. I've got self-powered speakers that I can hook up to my computer but I have to get a player...Since I'm currently working really hard, I may not get around to it for a while. Bummer.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 08:17 am:   

I've got plenty of music players, but not much that is satisfying me. Finding rock with good songs, non-annoying singers, played with feeling and not being overproduced seems to be getting harder right now. I'm getting really sick of the 80s nostalgia that is trendy now, and especially the abundance of "sunny pop" bands. It seems like I can't read a Web zine without seeing some band described that way.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 08:23 am:   

Sunny pop...Ugh.

I've got all these great live shows ranging from Miles to Screaming Tress that Mike sent me, but...No machina. I can no longer be cool and say I wrote this or that story while listening to Bitchmonkey, Tartar Sauce Gods, and the Bunions. :-)

Robert Devereux
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 09:04 am:   

I don't have the same pop aversion that you do, but I am really tired of over-polished stuff. Even metal falls into this, with Isis and Mastodon releasing stuff that sounds too clean. I think I'll steal an idea from you...too many bands are trying to sound clever now instead of trying to have feeling. Cleverness and emotion shouldn't be mutually exclusive, but they seem to be.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 09:15 am:   

I'm a big believer in that notion -- cleverness doesn't necessarily exclude emotion, but it seems to become a be-all and end-all with a lot of bands, writers, etc who specialize in cleverness...

I like some pop, but its gotta be raw and crunchy, or it just gives me a sugar rush...

Nicholas Paris
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 10:55 am:   

I recently sent a message to a metal website asking them to let me know their snail mail address so I could send them a CD for review.
I received the following (edited) response:

I have no idea what style your band plays... Give me some indication as to some bands or a style that may be similar, as best you can, so that I can better direct where you should send your press kit (i.e., some of my writers don't like Power Metal but love Progressive Metal, etc.). Thanks.

So, it wasn't enough that I consider us to be a "metal" band, I then had to give this guy a heads up on exactly what niche we fit into so, Dog forbid, one of his reviewers who only likes death metal didn't get ahold of our CD by accident... imagine the consequences...

And as for "happy metal" - that's exactly what Dee Snider called Bon Jovi back in 1985...

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 11:01 am:   

Dee Snider always did seem smarter than he looked. :-)

And what did you say to the website guy?

Nicholas Paris
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 11:55 am:   

"Dee Snider always did seem smarter than he looked. And what did you say to the website guy?"

Dee Snider is MUCH smarter than he ever looked... He still has one of my favorite quotes ever - About Twisted Sister, "People call us glam, but that would imply we're glamorous. We should be called 'hid' because we're hideous." Always loved that one.

I told the website guy that we're usually referred to as a "classic" hard rock/metal band and that we've been compared to Godsmack, Pantera, Metallica, Alice in Chains...all the way down to Skid Row and, yes, Bon Jovi, though that one is off the wall. So, he gave me an address of one of his writers who should fit the bill. I guess in a warped way it does make sense - I *hate* anything that would be referred to as death metal, so I wouldn't want some death metal guy reviewing our stuff and saying we aren't "brutal" enough or something...

For anyone looking to run out and buy our CDs, the name of the band is The Sonic Revolution and we have three full CDs available at www.cdbaby.com. (www.myspace.com/thesonicrevolution)

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 11:59 am:   

Cool, Nicholas. Thanks for the CD Baby tip.

PM
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   

"I've got all these great live shows ranging from Miles to Screaming Tress that Mike sent me, but...No machina."

Are you a tech catastrophe or what :-)

Are you saying that you don't have a DVD player? Or more specifically that your region free DVD player bit the bits?

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   

No, these are CDs--my cd player and stereo system went kaput, I have to go down to Circuit City or somewhere and get a new player to hook up to my self-powered speakers; but I just can't afford the time. And yes, I am tech catastrophe. :-)

PM
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 12:43 pm:   

iTunes on your Mac can play CDs.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   

Yeah, but my Mac won't play homemade CDs.

PM
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 01:23 pm:   

Hey Mike! If you made the CDs what program did you use? Are these Windows Media audio files or something else?

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 01:39 pm:   

The silence of the Mike... :-)

PM
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 01:43 pm:   

Step away from the mike :-)

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 01:49 pm:   

Don'ttake me Wickerwards...

ben peek
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 05:03 pm:   

i've been listening to the new clap your hands say yeah album. it's not bad--first and last tracks kinda tank, but it's growing on me a fair bit. not as much as the first album, though.

shame about the stereo lucius

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 05:08 pm:   

Yeah, well....this way I save money and get more work done, so it's okay...

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 09:09 pm:   

hey - they're just burns from either feurio or nero, just wavs, unless they're DVDs, but those are also nero. sorry to hear about the stereo :-( , hope there's some sort of solution, cuz I've got another DVD I'll be sending when I hit the PO next, someone posted Miles' band in Tokyo 73 and Dave Liebman breathes fire...

Do you have a working DVD player still? Most of them play CDs.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 09:29 pm:   

Yeah, well, I have a DVD player but I'm scared to touch it--it's a serpent's nest of cords back there and I have trouble seeing. But I'll hit the store in a week or two, so it's ok.

PM
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 11:03 am:   

Are your eyes fixable or does that remain a mystery?

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 11:08 am:   

With enough money. I have hopes.

PM
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 02:21 pm:   

Here's a few thoughts on playing the problematic CDs on your Mac.

When you insert one of the problematic CDs does an icon appear for it on the desktop?

If there's no icon then continue the troubleshooting process by inserting a store bought CD (not a blank CD bought from a store but an actual music CD or even a software CD) An icon should appear on the desktop. If it doesn't then it's likely that the DVD drive (which also reads CDs) is defective. You can repeat this process with other store bought (commercial) CDs to verify that they cannot be accessed.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 02:55 pm:   

Sometimes. If they're the purple, it just kicks them out; it can read the blue-green ones. I don't know if this holds true, but so far that's the case.

PM
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 03:02 pm:   

Hopefully this will be helpful to Mike in recalling how he wrote the CDs (and also the brand of CD he used).

Interchangeability can be a nightmare until folk are able to determine what is and isn't going to be compatible. (obviously)

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 03:06 pm:   

Yup.

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 04:13 pm:   

The purple backs are DVDs, it should say if they are DVD+R or DVD-R on the front with the brand. There may be compatibility issues with whether your DVD player can play + or -Rs.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 05:03 pm:   

Well, that would explain it. Doh! I'll try them in my reg. Dvd player tonight.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 07:48 am:   

Just sat down and listened to my first record in months: the soundtrack to CLEAN, SHAVEN by Hahn Rowe, included as an extra on the Criterion DVD. Good stuff.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 08:08 am:   

Clean, Shaven has a Criterion disc? Wow. Good choice.

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 08:12 am:   

I take it everything's working OK now Lucius?

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 09:03 am:   

Well, I still haven't hooked up my speakers, but everything's is good to go.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 06:34 am:   

I sort of watched American Idol last night. All of the men performed, and they were all bland. There were some decent singers, but nothing special. The best of the bunch seemed indistinguishable from Magni.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 06:44 am:   

I thought they were pretty bad, too. I'm not gonna watch anymore after tonight. I want to see Anabella Barba one more time... ;)

The cult of Hatebeek has spread to NY. My kid works in an architectural firm, and they designed a bird house for the God Of the Empty Nest... :-)

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 08:25 am:   

There were three passable AI guys: the guy who did the Keane song, that guy Nick Presto or whatever his name was and the baldheaded guy who looked like a young Boy George. But there was a definite taint of mediocrity in the air. These judges are starting to get a sense of humor. I thought the fat guy who sang an off key Moody Blues -- Sundance Head -- was comic relief.

Oh yeah, the best guy of all was the fat guy who looked like Baby Meatloaf with the Larry Fine hair. He seems to be taking the piss a little. I'm rooting for him.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 08:37 am:   

The overweight guy seemed decent (the one with big hair, not Sundance). He seems rather un-Idol like, which makes him more appealing.

I didn't notice the Boy George similarity, I just thought of Magni when I saw a decent bald singer with no personality.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 08:55 am:   

The fat guy won't win. Not after Taylor Sucks. They're gonna give it to a girl. Actually, I think if Sundance gets over his flop sweats, he might do well...but then he might be going home this week. Him or the Indonesian guy.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 12:33 pm:   

the Indonesian guy was dreadful, but he has a hot sister.

Baby Meatloaf for Idol!!!

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 12:43 pm:   

Baby Meatloaf would be okay, but he's a long shot.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |