Florida or Michigan? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » Florida or Michigan? « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 07:22 am:   

I think Florida would probably get beaten soundly by OSU, but I also think they should be in the BCS championship. Winning the SEC is a serious accomplishment--Florida had the toughest schedule in the nation, and they lost on the road to a top ten team on a controversial call. The only wins of note on Michigan's resume are ND, which was overrated, and against an untested Wisconsin team.

Darren
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 09:55 am:   

Florida, definitely. But I think they'd put up a helluva fight.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 10:02 am:   

Well, they might if they get some players back from injury. I'm definitely begining to believe in Meyer as a coach.

Minz
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 11:11 am:   

I think Michigan is the #2 team in the country (shocking, isn't it?), but they'll put FL in the game. And I'm okay with that.

More importantly, I want to see USC drop out of the top ten. Two losses to unranked teams. They gotta go!!!

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 11:20 am:   

I think you're probably right, but Fla played the tougher schedule by far and won 12 games.

As to USC, yeah, but they probably won't.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 05:11 pm:   

It's the Gators....

Pray for the Gators.

Jeffrey Ford
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 06:35 pm:   

I always like the Gators, but somehow, when all is said and done, the Gators end up blowing. I'm praying.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 06:41 pm:   

Well, they didn't blow this year--they won the SEC and are going to finish, worst case, in the top five.

But pray, anyway.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 06:52 pm:   

PS they don't blow as bad as the Jints. :-)

Jeffrey Ford
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 07:23 pm:   

Ooooh, out of bounds on the Jints crack -- this is the college thread. We gotta go over to the pro-thread for you to bust my balls about the Giants. I know the Gators have done fairly well this year, I'm just thinking their pedigree will be coming back to haunt them. Hopefully not. They have a great mascot and cool merchandise.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 07:55 pm:   

:-)

Well, they won one NC in football, they're the defending NCAA champs in roundball, and this is their thrid NC game in the last 10-12 years....

That's a pretty fair recent pedigree.

But the mascot is way cool.

They used to keep a live mascot on the field until he ate the Georgia bulldog.

Jeffrey Ford
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 08:30 pm:   

"They used to keep a live mascot on the field until he ate the Georgia bulldog."

Is that true?

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 08:36 pm:   

Yup. I was a little kid when it happened. It was great. :-)

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 06:44 am:   

Yes, the Jints do blow and this is coming from a Jints fan. :-(

It's all academic, but I would have voted for Florida because the champion of the toughest conference deserves extra style points. But also because -- and this is my biggest factor -- the Wolverines already had a crack at OSU. If they beat OSU in the national title game, you've got a champion who, at best, split the season series with the Buckeyes. How much like kissing your sister is that?

Lucius
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 06:50 am:   

Eli. eli. eli......! :-)

Lucius
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 07:04 am:   

Yeah, but MIchigan is probably better. Still. I'm happy the Gators have a shot, albeit a slim one.

I'm happiest about the LSU-ND matchup, because I think lSU's gonna annihilate 'em.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 07:04 am:   

Eli delivered when it counted. It was the defense and the special teams that collapsed in the time-honored way.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 07:10 am:   

Yeah, he had a decent game yesterday, but the previous three weeks he was pitiful. If you're happy with one out four ganes, Eli showing up...Hey, so am I. :-)

But if that Cowboy holds on to that Int in the end zone, he would have had a bad game and the press would have killed him.

And what is Coughlin doing, running Jacobs wide on fourth and one?

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 07:51 am:   

I have a sinking feeling that the Cough-man will be sent packing after this season.

Frankly, as soon as the Giants tied the game and I saw 1:06 on the clock, I knew all was lost. No franchise has refined the last-second choke to such an art form. Why does the ensuing kickoff land at the 20? Why do the Giants give up field position past the 30 on the return? Why does the Giants secondary surrender a 44-yard play to a tight end? Go through the Giants recent history and you will find half-a-dozen games that ended on this same script, probably three of then vs. Dallas.

Frankly, this organization has not earned the loyalty of fans like me.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 08:08 am:   

Does that mean you're gonna root for the boys? :-)

I agree, and I still say that drafting Manning was a big mistake. He was about my fifth rated qb in that draft, but Accorsi fell in love with his name.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 08:12 am:   

Yeah, as far as time management, why did coughlin call time out. He could have run another 30 seconds off the clock. It might have put more pressure on Romo...

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 08:37 am:   

Coughlin probably panicked. His static with Barber is probably hastening his departure from the league. I'm sure there's a nice Div. I-A job waiting for him somewhere.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 08:38 am:   

Hey, Lucius, ya know, Coughlin has had a lot of luck in FLA now that I think of it...:-)

Lucius
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 08:52 am:   

panic's not a quality you look for in a coach. Yeah, if the Jints don't make a major turnaround, I think Coughlin's history.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 08:54 am:   

Which is too bad, 'cause I like him as the Jints coach. :-)

And, lest we forget, how about those Green Bay Farves! !-4, or is it 1-5 at Lamebeau.

Darren
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 09:42 am:   

Welp, no need to debate any longer. It's Florida, and unlike our beloved host, I think they have something of a chance with that defense. Imagine what this Florida team could have been without the offensive line/penalty problems, eh? (Goddamn, this German keyboard freaks me out.) : )

Go Gators!

Lucius
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 10:05 am:   

Welp, I agree, maybe. If they can pressure the OSU qb, if Leak plays mistake free, if they heal up some of their injuries, if they get a good game out of DeShaun, if Dallas Baker has a good game to take the pressure off Harvin... that's a lot of ifs. OSU hasn't played a D as quick as Florida's, but Florida hasn't played an offense as balanced as OSU's. Could be interesting.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register