HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Good Movies 48

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » Good Movies 48 « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lucius
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 10:13 am:   

04:00 pm:  Edit

Last night's Lost was an all-time low. Sweat-lodge visions are right up there with random dreams as cop-outs for plotting your show. And Desmond's time-scrambled reference to Locke's "Speech" was one of the baldest lumps of lame exposition I've ever seen shoved into a script to satisfy the mystery mandate. Gah.
   By Lucius on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 05:56 pm:  Edit

Gotta agree...bad badder baddest.
   By MarcL on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 06:04 pm:  Edit

Yet, honestly, Wednesday night at 9 o'clock, put the kids to bed, one hour to be a vegetable before I get the second wind where I feel like doing something requiring energy...I probably won't give up on the show. I wonder if they've lost some of their key creators.
   By Robert Devereux on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 06:34 pm:  Edit

Is the sweat lodge any more ridiculous than Locke's dreams in Season 1 or Jack's vision of his dead father? Or last season with Eko's dreams with Yemi? The show's always been hokey and had silly cop-outs for plotting, but at first we were forgiving of the crap in it because it delivered in other areas. Now it's not delivering in the other areas, so we're less forgiving of the hokiness.

Dave, I like the idea. Perhaps have lesser known "working famous" people on it (Jason Flemyng would be a good person for it, he's the sort of guy you see in dozens of movies but don't always remember, he was even cast as a forgettable person in Bruiser).
   By Lucius on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 06:42 pm:  Edit

That was I doing, Marc, vegging, but even so....The only reason I watched was because I was hoping they'd show the foot again. I wonder if anything will ever come of that.
   By MarcL on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 09:34 pm:  Edit

That'd be a good slogan for the season: "Be there for the Foot!"
   By Lucius on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 09:46 pm:  Edit

Hopefully they'll eventually reveal that on the far side of the bay, directly opposite the foot, there's an enormous ass...
   By MarcL on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 11:40 pm:  Edit

I just watched LOOKING FOR COMEDY IN THE MUSLIM WORLD, which was average Albert Brooks, on the low-end of the laugh spectrum but still fairly amusing. I'm sure Brooks would appreciate the fact that I've scaled my expectations of a new Albert Brooks movie way back.
   By MarcL on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 11:41 pm:  Edit

"I'm not sure which is more unnerving. The fact that it is a giant ass, or that it has three cheeks."
   By Lucius on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 03:35 am:  Edit

That's gonna be it for me and Lost for the year, probably. Y'all tell me if the Foot comes back, huh?
   By Robert Devereux on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 07:56 am:  Edit

I thought the island was full of enormous asses. Or is that just the creative team

I'll let you know if the foot returns. I don't expect it to this season.
   By Lucius on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 08:02 am:  Edit

"I thought the island was full of enormous asses. Or is that just the creative team..."

Ah, so the foot is symbolism.

I kinda think it'll be back this season. Why else show it in last season's cliffhanger? But you could be right.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 10:24 am:   

Got a touch of the grunge today, watching TV -- saw a 1973 movie called That'll be the day starring David Essex, Ringo Star, Kieth Moon, Billy Fury, etc, about a rock and roll wanna be/ne'er do well in the early 60s. Amazingly, it wasn't bad.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 03:53 pm:   

By MarcL on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 03:49 pm:  Edit

Saw THE PRESTIGE. It's well crafted, atmospheric, slow and moody, and in places quite effective. The casting bugged me, though; most of the actors constantly jarred me out of the story. (The jarring accents reach a peak in David Bowie.)

I can't imagine how it played out for those who haven't read the book and didn't know the story; whether they'd feel confused or gratified. There was very little suspense for me, but I wasn't expecting any. I just wanted to see how Nolan pulled it all together.

It's a great book, and could have had a far worse adaptation.

PM
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 07:15 am:   

Watched RENAISSANCE, the futuristic "noir" film.

Funky KBear, the cinephile koala, munched the leaf in the eyecandy category.

Funky KBear was overall indifferent to the score. At times the strings strike a futuristic pose...too many times they strike an as of late William Hurt overblown performance.

Funky KBear could not follow several transitions. Were these out and out mistakes or simply footage left in waiting for the DVD? At least Lucas could give the Kurasawa wipe :-)

Funky KBear walked away from the story which is almost entirely dramatically unengaging. It's the visuals that hold the attention and KBear anxiously watched to see what would appear on the next frame.

PM
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 07:23 am:   

Watched THE SCIENCE OF SLEEP, a fantastic film which really gets into your head. It's the sort of film that Tim Burton would make if he were making great films with a lighter palette and claymation.

Funky KBear munched leaves all through this one. KBear recognized Charlotte Gainsbourg from LEMMING but this is a fun, at times silly film, that will not appeal to the burly bloodlustin' crew.

KBear wants to watch this one over and over again and will when it arrives on DVD...

PM
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 07:33 am:   

Watched A GUIDE TO RECOGNIZING YOUR SAINTS, a coming to maturity film which remembers the 80s.

For quite a while Funky KBear could not understand the hype. KBear recalls what it was like to lick the leaf in the 80s but this film wasn't any more engaging than other films that had trod this material.

BAM!

In a few moments the film becomes intense and KBear was engaged and actively munching throughout to the end.

The performances are top notch all around and KBear will not be surprised if there are award noms. Could be the year for Chazz Palminteri...

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 07:54 am:   

The real KBear would sooner much faux-eucalyptus than watch The Science Of Sleep.

I have some interest in SAINTS, but if it's really good, it will be passed over by the Oscars....

PM
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 07:57 am:   

Watched HEADING SOUTH, a film where middle aged white women get it on with sexually superior island lads.

Funky KBear wonders about this stereotyping but reminds everyone that koalas are cuter than kangaroos and more thug too!

Rampling is mistress of the cold moment and more than once gives a stare that could scare the hell out of any number of horror movies.

Funky KBear, unfortunately was getting tired from all the leaf munching, and kept falling asleep. While he was awake though KBear was munching...

PM
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 07:59 am:   

"The real KBear would sooner much faux-eucalyptus than watch The Science Of Sleep."

Wounded :-)

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 08:24 am:   

I loved Heading South.

As for "wounded," there are certain rules, you know.

PM
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 09:19 am:   

"there are certain rules, you know."

help me to understand.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 09:34 am:   

KBear no dig foie gras filmmaking....

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 09:44 am:   

Please put yr movie comments here instead of the old thread.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 04:52 pm:   

I saw The Prestige today. I didn't know the story, I went simply because Nolan did it. It was enjoyable and well crafted. I did catch hints early in the movie, so I figured out everything long before it was revealed (so nothing was surprising).

Kelly Christopher Shaw
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 04:21 pm:   

FYI, the first Hellraiser is slated for remake, with Barker as the scribe. Whatever you thought about the original -- I'm a big fan -- this can't end good.

http://www.clivebarker.info/intsrevel15.html

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 04:53 pm:   

Put me down as not a big fan. I thought Hellraiser was a bad movie with lots of art school student director moves. So actually, I think the remake has a chance to be better...though it's still a why-would-they-want-to-do-that situation.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 06:46 am:   

Remaking HELLRAISER? Blasphemy! Granted, it hasn't aged well, but it's a pretty fun artsy horror flick, only marred by a lame-ass sequel-ready ending. Will they have new Cenobites?

Anemic box office performance of FLAGS could bode well for the elections, indicating that middle America may have awakened from its war stupor.

Saw MARIE ANTOINETTE on Sunday. Hard to know what to say about it. It was a very facile, surface treatment of history, totally omitting the politics of the time in favor of an obsessive focus on Kirsten Dunst. But given Coppola's reverence for Ken Russell, this focus on surfaces may have been a statement of its own. Sumptuous visuals, including major costuming and lavish sets (did they really film at Versailles?). A little Sex and the City gal-targetting at work, I think; the woman I went with (very smart and socially conscious Smithsonian employee) instantly chimed in when I mentioned costumes "Manolo Blahnik did the shoes!" I suspect some ladies will, in fact, see it for the shoes (which were surprisingly featured).

I haven't read the recent MA bio the film is based on, but Coppola seems to say that Marie was an earthy gal thrust into a marriage with a cold fish, subjected to a snarky, backbiting and ritual-bound court, who used her form of "retail therapy" to escape her prison. The viewer is kept as oblivious as she must have been, wrapped in a cocoon of fancy gowns, silk slippers and ritualized entertainment.

It was a great film to look at, and didn't seem overlong. I would recommend it, but not to anyone looking for deep historical analysis.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 09:05 am:   

I wasn't a fan of Lost in Translation. The travails of the super rich don't much interest me. This seems another trivial story and featuring an actress I truly don't like. Pass.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 09:08 am:   

Yeah, you would hate it, Lucius. I think a test screening audience full of LS's would have killed the project altogether!

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 09:20 am:   

What movies has Dunst done that were worth a shit? I guess the Virgin Suicides had its adherents, but after that it's been a bunch of Spidermans, Wimbledons, et al....

PM
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 09:46 am:   

I don't find Dunst to be so visually appealing. I would probably enjoy MA with someone else in the role. "Enjoy" in the sense that one has to take the film for what it is (frivolity).

Robert Devereux
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 09:47 am:   

Dunst was in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. That's the only one I can think of.

I didn't like Lost in Translation either, and MA seems even less interesting.

MarcL
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 10:00 am:   

Prestige was #1 this weekend. Good. I hope the book sells a few more copies.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 10:14 am:   

I forgot Sunshine....Yeah, she was pretty good in that. Dunst is not, as PM says, all that visualy appealling, and she made use of the fact in ESOTSM.

jk
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 10:42 am:   

Ha. Couldn't agree more about Lost In Translation. Did you know she only had 12 pages of script written when she started filming? And she received an Oscar for that piece of crap? What a joke.
And Marie A looks like a steamin' pile too. Oh, poor wittle rich girl. So hard to grow up with all that money and privelege. I feel so bad for her. She grew up amongst movie royalty and money just like Marie A grew up amongst royalty. Geddit? The movies really about herself. Geddit?Wow, how clever. I hope it dies a miserable death with critics and moviegoers.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 10:44 am:   

Lucius, I wasn't trying to contradict you, I'm just saying, it's obviously a movie that wouldn't appeal to you, based on what I know of your likes and dislikes. I'm not all that koo koo about Dunst myself. For me, her high point was the wet-everything make-out scene in SPIDEY I.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 10:59 am:   

I didn't think you were, Dave. Honest. Dunst just gets me.

I think an appropriate ending for Lost in Translation would have been for Bill Murray to have his throat cul in a ginsu accident and Scarlett to have been kidnapped into white slavery...

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 11:17 am:   

Yeah, well, that would have been better...

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 11:24 am:   

Right. And then they could have a moral like, Let that be a lesson to them! :-)

I guess we shouldn't expect Coppola to make movies about what she doesn't know. As godawful as LIT was, can you imagine a movie by her about the Wretched of the Earth? Ye gods! "And Papa Francis, they had no idea of couture!"

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 07:04 pm:   

I haven't seen The Woods and I probably won't for much the same reasons you cite. Not a big McKee fan.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 07:15 pm:   

One doesn't have to look to Crash to get the idea of Haggis' ability. Crash is a work of genius by contrast to his screenplay for Million Dollar Baby, which is so full of manipulativeness and redundancy as to be hilarious.

MarcL
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 09:28 pm:   

Yes, but I saw Crash first, and after that I couldn't bring myself to watch MDB.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 09:38 pm:   

Well, consider yourself fortunate. It's even worse than Crash, though not not quite as sickening....

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 10:07 pm:   

To clarify, Crash is a slight refinement and major expansion of the raw manipulation and repetitions of MDB...

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 05:27 am:   

For those interested in Larry Fessenden, I enjoyed his Native American horror film, Wendigo, a good bit more than his vampire flick, Habit. Dave's already talked about this, so I feel no need to expand on it....but it's very good.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 06:07 am:   

Also watched the first hour or so of a British TV policier done for Channel 4 called Low Winter Sun. It was really good, but I was doing it justice because of flu and I may put off finishing it tll I get back from my trip. Bleak as hell. Probably the bleakest police thing ever made for TV,,,at least that I've seen.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 08:04 am:   

Commercials for LWS looked pretty darn good.

Glad you liked WENDIGO. The kid who played Dewey on Malcolm in the Middle was good in it. The male lead, who was from an horrific HBO show called Mind of the Married Man, was surprisingly effective. And, of course, there was the lovely Ms. Clarkson, who is always good.

PM
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 09:25 am:   

I see LWS on DVD in the UK. Has it drifted across the ocean to American tv?

Mind of the Married Man...gone without fanfare. I believe Rome has burned as well.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 09:28 am:   

No, but it's available on DVD from Exploited.

jk
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 10:18 am:   

Saw The Woods last night. It was actually a pretty good little horror movie. Kind of had a Suspiria-type thing going on with Witches running girls' school. Patricia Clarkson's performance was good, and Bruce Campbell gave a pretty restrained performance(for Bruce Campbell). And it wasn't annoying as hell like May.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 10:20 am:   

Surprise, surprise! I'll have to check it out.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 10:24 am:   

I think LWS is airing on BBC America, if I'm not mistaken.

No, on second thought, I am mistaken. I think I mistook Wire in the Blood for Low Winter Sun. My bad.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 10:32 am:   

Low Winter Sunn aired on Channel 4 several years back.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 11:02 am:   

The new Cracker series debuts Monday on BBC. For those who don't know, the original and the new one star Robbie Coltrane in his signature role as a boozing, gambling police pyschologist with a vicious wit. Launched as a series of two hour movies (some four hour), the first and second seasons were among the best things I've seen on TV. Costarring folks like Robert Carlylse and Christopher Ecclestone. If the new show is half as good as the old, it'll be well worth your time.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 01:15 pm:   

Okay, I don't like animation, but someone sent me a DVD called Blood Tea and Red String by Christiane Segavske, which is a stop motion feature (70 min), and I was fascinated. Though a bit slow paced, this is a beautiful fairy tale without dialougue. The White Mice, who are the wealthy citizens of the forest, living in a debased state, getting drunk on blood tea, commission Those-Who-Dwell-In-The-Oak (kind of fox-bird types) to make them the most beautiful doll in the world. They do so and fall in love with their creation and decide to keep it. The hang it in the oak branches (kind of christ-like symbolism here) and the White Mice steal it. Those who dwell in the oak decide to steal it back. Apparently Segavske took 13 years to make this, and it shows. The take is wonderfully crafted and the art is sublime. I loved it and am almost grateful to the flu for giving me time to watch it.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 01:25 pm:   

Sort of harkens back to the Renaissance, where artists would typically take a decade or more to finish a major work. Nowadays, if you can't earn money from something in six months, nobody would attempt it.

Is this film commercially available?

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 01:51 pm:   

It's out on Dvd, I believe, Nov 7. It has something of a Guy Maddin feel to it, but it's really quite beautiful....

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 01:55 pm:   

It has a listing on amazon

PM
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 02:01 pm:   

I'll add it to my list...

MarcL
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 06:11 pm:   

In addition to the new Cracker, there's a final Prime Suspect coming.

Also noted in a BBC ad that there's going to be a film with Timothy Spall and Brenda Blethyn called "Mysterious Creatures," which looks even more bleak than "All or Nothing," Mike Leigh's last outing with Spall.

I don't get any version of BBC, unfortunately. But torrents sometimes make up the lapse. (Thus I can say I enjoyed the second season of Extras.)

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 06:51 pm:   

That's good news, too. Looking forward to it.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 08:47 pm:   

Did anyone watch the BBC series Life on Mars?

jk
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 09:09 pm:   

Hey Lucius, looks like Paul Haggis is one of three screenwriters on the new James Bond movie. Looks like there's reason to camp out in front of the theater. :-)

MarcL
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 09:11 pm:   

Nope.

Netflix delivered Mountain Patrol, Slither and Twilight Samurai. Quality!

I enjoyed Gunn's Dawn of the Dead so much I'm more than willing to give Slither a chance.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 09:58 pm:   

life on Mars is supposed to be great. It's the story of a police detective hunting a serialist in 2006, who has an accident of some sort and wakes in the year 1974. He's still a detective, still hunting a serialist, but now he's having experiences like interacting with his parents.

Yeah, I'm all over the Bond flick. :-)

S. Hamm
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 11:00 pm:   

Speaking of stop-motion, did anybody catch the latest Svankmajer, LUNACY? It ran in SF for one week a month or two ago, but I couldn't manage to get my ass unglued from the chair . . . .

Robert Devereux
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 05:17 am:   

I'm not too big on Svankmajer, his films usually fascinate and annoy me at the same time. I think I'll wait for DVD on it. Plus, I have absolutely no time to get to the theater this week to see it (and it closes here on Thursday night).

The Quays' new film will be playing in Pittsburgh soon. I'm looking forward to it, although like all their work, I'm sure it will be beautiful but lacking in plot. It's part of the Three Rivers Film Festival, which has quite a few movies that sound interesting.

By the way, I picked up a copy of The Prestige yesterday. I'll start reading it when I finish my current book. I had to buy a copy because all the library copies were reserved for at least six weeks.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 07:19 am:   

The Svankmajer hasn't played here.

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 07:24 am:   

Life on Mars is excellent, a very funny show. Great if you're a 70s rock fan too, as the soundtrack is full of classic stuff: The Who, Stones, Colosseum, Atomic Rooster, Hawkwind etc. There's a pretty funny part where the protagonist goes into a rich nightclub and meets Marc Bolan. "Try to avoid any vans OK?"

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 07:33 am:   

I gotta see it. Apparently, it's very Dickish. The Bolan bit is terrific.

PM
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 08:02 am:   

"I gotta see it."

Amazon UK has it.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 08:05 am:   

Thanks, PM

MarcL
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 10:17 am:   

Slither is a quality entry in the slick and funny B-movie horror category. It's not quite to the level of Dawn of the Dead (in terms of humor or horror) but I laughed all the way through and was fairly entertained. Usually people attempting this sort of thing just get it totally wrong (Lost Skeleton of Cadavra anyone?), but Gunn's got the goods.

Kelly Christopher Shaw
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 10:25 am:   

Yeah, Slither is great B-movie fun (though it runs out of gas in the closing 15 minutes).

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 12:12 pm:   

I think one of the very cool things about Life in Mars is its continual contrast of 1973 with the present and how ethics and behavior change so drastically in even a short period of time like 30 years (office behavior, treatment of women, methods of the police etc.). I hadn't thought of the show being Dickish before, but it does make sense in terms of the protagonist constantly questioning the nature of the reality he's in, whether or not he's really in a coma or if something else is happening.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 12:16 pm:   

I saw a coming attraction for a really creepy looking entry called BUG with Ashley Judd that made my skin crawl. Anyone heard about this?

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 12:26 pm:   

Well, I haven't seen it, naturally, but that's what I heard. I just ordered the first season.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 12:27 pm:   

All I've heard about Bug makes me think it's just another Hollywood boinking of Ashley Judd.

MarcL
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 02:31 pm:   

Yeah, it looks like BUG is Friedkin's version of SLITHER.

PM
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 03:03 pm:   

"it's just another Hollywood boinking of Ashley Judd."

Somebody's got to boink the Judds...might as well go for the hot one I suppose.

I'm surprised that we aren't talkin' Rocky Balboa, y'know the film MGM intends to resurrect their fortunes.

MarcL
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 05:21 pm:   

In the US, looks like Prime Suspect 7 will run on November 12 and 19 on PBS (Masterpiece Theater).

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 05:26 pm:   

Damn! Gonna miss it!

PM
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 05:39 pm:   

Somebody could record it for ya and send ya a DVD...

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 05:59 pm:   

I don't know anyone who'll be watching. No biggie.

PM
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 06:09 pm:   

I'll try to record it...

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 06:25 pm:   

Oh, okay. Thanks, PM. Much appreciated.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 09:46 am:   

Is anybody interested in these films? Cate Blanchette in The Good German, which apparently is Soderburgh's homage to noir in general and The Third Man in specific. Factory Girl, which is the Edie Sedgwick story, basically. I must confess to a perverse curiosity about Guy's Pearce's performance as Andy Warhol. Todd Fields' Little Children. I actually have seen this one, and cannot recommend it. Even if you liked American Beauty, this melodrama about suburbia gone bad is, except for Kate Winslet's performance as Sarah, excessive. I really liked Fields as an actor (he was in Ashley Judd's one good movie. Ruby in Paradise), and coming out of indie film, I had hopes for him. But In the Bedroom didn't do much for me and in this...well, he does deliver a film full of beautiful images, but this story about suburban moms who gather in a park and talk about men etc is dreadfully overcooked. Winslet's Sarah is supposed to be a dowdy housewife (she looks absolutely gorgeous, even though she dresses the part) doesn't fit in with the other wives, a situation made clear when she defends Emma Bovary at her book club and is told that Emma is "a slut." She initiates an affair wit Brad, who's called "The Prom King" by the other wives, a hunky idiot married to Jennifer Connoley (in an utterly thankless role). Eventually judgment is rendered courtesy of a creepy Deus ex child molester. Just as in American beauty judgment comes in the form of a gay marine. It's all so very Puritainical. And ridiculous. And just bad. But WInslet is pretty damn good and probably will grab an Oscar nom.

MarcL
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 10:07 am:   

Put me down for Factory Girl. EDIE is one of my favorite books. Every actor should have a chance to play Warhol.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 10:20 am:   

Yeah, I think I'm down for Factory Girl. I knew some people who hung at the Factory, so it's a nostalgia trip for me.

Looking forward to Rutger Hauer's Warhol, part of the Alternate Andy series. :-)

PM
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 10:33 am:   

At this point I'm open to THE GOOD GERMAN and FACTORY GIRL.

But if GG is just a noir knockoff well I'm satisfied with THE THIRD MAN as is.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 11:02 am:   

GG is absolutely that, judging by all reports.

MarcL
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 11:17 am:   

The last Soderberg film I sort of liked was KAFKA. Last and only, come to think of it.

PM
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 11:42 am:   

GGrrr...Hollywood, we can't take too many chances with original screenplays.

and Michael York as wholesome alt Andy.

PM
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 11:43 am:   

Soderberg who is he? Why doesn't he and Julia Roberts get together, do a remake of GONE WITH THE WIND, and just get it over with...

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 01:13 pm:   

And who as Clarke Gable? I'm seeing.....Aston Kucher, or however you spell him.

PM
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 04:40 pm:   

Kutcher man why not?

I'd go for the easy one with Clooney.

And in no time we made some studio half a billion...

MarcL
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 05:27 pm:   

Someone wrote a sequel recently, so there must be a movie in the works.

Clooney aped Gable in O BROTHER, WHERE ART THOU? so you'd figure he'd be up for the part.

There's room for a Judd or two in this.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 07:50 pm:   

Hopefully not Naomi....

Just watched the rest of Low Winter Sun. Boy, it's good and dark. Pretty damn unrelenting. There's nary a glint of goodness. Really well done. It's basically the story of a cop who is convinced by another cop to help him kill his partner, saying that the partner murdered the first cop's girlfriend. They fake a suicide, the cop driving into the Firth of forth in his car....But when another body is found in the car, headless and handless, the first cop realizes that his co-conspirator had his own reason for wanting his partner dead and soon finds himself investigating a whole slew of murders, one of which, of course, he committed. Solid stuff.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 06:15 am:   

Today I'm gonna watch the first volume of the Weird Tales Collection, The Yellow Sign, which features short films based on the work of Robert Chambers. Should be interesting.

Huw
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 07:15 am:   

I'd never heard of this series, but I'm definitely going to check it out now, having read and enjoyed The King In Yellow. Thanks for the tip, Lucius!

By the way, have you seen any of the 'H.P. Lovecraft Collection' DVDs? One in particular (volume three, I think), is really good: the main feature on it is Out of Mind, a semi-documentary style short film (around an hour) about Lovecraft, his writings and ideas. The black and white version of The Call of Cthulhu is good too.

Speaking of HPL, what do you guys make of this? I think it's hilarious!http://www.geocities.com/steerp1ke/David_Ehi.html
David Ehi Reverse Scam

MarcL
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 07:48 am:   

Can't imagine a movie of the King in Yellow being both faithful and effective. Keep us posted.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 08:04 am:   

I've got the Lovecraft Collection DVDs. They're better than the bigger budget adaptations. I guess I should get the Weird Tale Collection too.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 09:23 am:   

No foot this week. :-(

Again, the flashback didn't give us any new insight into Sawyer. We already knew from his earlier flashbacks, he's a conman, but he has a hidden soft side. This time, the flashback plot was even more ridiculous. I can't imagine the feds would commute his sentence and pay him based on helping him recover stolen government money. If they can't come up with better flashbacks, they should skip them.

The only thing this episode showed was that Jack has grown a bit and learned some things. First he played Juliet in the same way Ben played him last season (will it work?). Next he actually gave up trying to save the woman. Obsession has been his defining personality trait on the show, and he's finally letting things go this season.

MarcL
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 02:32 pm:   

I didn't think the tumor was a bluff. I thought they're setting up why he was one of the four selected to be there.

That was pretty much the only part of the episode I liked. It was an improvement over previous weeks but not by much. Nothing adds up. The overelaborate con...the pacemaker implant that is or isn't. Once his heartrate soars during the climb, it's there or it's not, or I guess it's something different.

The Desmond precognition stuff is lame as ever.

No giant foot. No giant ass. No more of the skinnies running through the jungle dragging teddy bears. No more the giant invisible things that pulled the pilot out of the trees. They've forgotten even how to milk the suspense for a payoff. When they top a rise and another rise and Sawyer's eyes get all big, we get...water.

Colleen's role was awesome short though. She must have gotten a DUI the first day on the set.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 03:10 pm:   

The preview for the next week always looks good, but it doesn't deliver. I don't have high hopes for next week, although I'm hoping the preview means somebody else dies and the cast gets whittled down a bit more.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 03:43 pm:   

For every one that dies, they'll add two new actors. Eventually the population will approach ten million, they'll discover they're in Manhattan and it has all been...

Too bad about the foot.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 04:59 pm:   

Quite true. Season one started with 14 cast members (and numerous guests). Season two added 4 more cast members. But 5 cast members have died, and 2 have left the island. This season added 5 new cast members (Desmond, Ben, Juliet, and 2 of the miscellaneous other survivors). So overall we're at 16 cast members, which is higher than the start.

MarcL
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 06:10 pm:   

By fragmenting the cast, they've eliminated one of the few things they had actually built up over time--any vestiges of ensemble acting. The group dynamic is shattered, and we get a handful of new characters interacting with nameless other characters that nobody cares about. It's like an entirely new show, without the old show's charisma...sorta like the cast rotations in Saturday Night Live. Since previous out-of-the blue character introductions usually led to those characters getting killed in short order, there's not much reason to get attached to any of the newer ones.

Huw
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 01:46 am:   

On the subject of Chambers, the late Karl Edward Wagner wrote a good story based around The King In Yellow; it was called The River of Night's Dreaming. It was in his first collection In a Lonely Place, along with some other really effective stories (such as Sticks).

I haven't seen any of Lost (season 3) - I don't think it's started here in Taiwan yet. I've been disappointed overall with season 2. It just keeps meandering.

PM
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 10:28 am:   

There's a new Pumpkinhead movie on SciFi tonight. I would be surprised if it were any good but I do like Henriksen.

Watched part of the Masters of Horror season 2 debacle. It had about 15 seconds of rather good CGI monster action. Funky KBear says that the worst sort of Warhol but would have made a wonderful short film.

KBear says that DEXTER is sort of ok but since it's a serial it's best begun at the beginning.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 11:07 am:   

I don't buy the Dexter character, the way it's drawn--trying to do a T Bundy thing but really failing, kinda.

PM
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 11:08 am:   

Anyone watching Turner Classic Movies Underground? (TCM Underground)

Rob Zombie is the host and he's looking lean these days. Not to pitchfork Zombie as his reading is fine but his script reads like Osbourne's. Not the Ozzy one.

So a new set was created, a new host was brought in and yet the script is still the same.

The TCM Underground website has creative spunk though:

http://www.tcm.com/underground/index.jsp

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 11:09 am:   

New thread

PM
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 11:15 am:   

I'd probably enjoy Dexter more if I didn't visualize Hall in that other less spiny role on Six Feet Under. I keep thinking miscast, miscast but Hall is sort of ok.

Dexter rises above when it's compared against the wretched hordes of horror tv shows and movies.

Kelly Christopher Shaw
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 08:32 pm:   

Checked out a couple movies today. WENDIGO, which I enjoyed save for the rubber-monster ending -- thanks for the rec, Dave. And REQUIEM, a no-frills German version of the "true" events surrounding the possession of Emily Rose (remember that bad Hollywood movie from last year?). REQUIEM plays like an antidote to all of the sensationalized possession films ever made --it has a verite style and is grounded in psychological realism. Definitely worth checking out.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |