HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Pro thread 2

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » Pro thread 2 « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
NFL PlayoffsLucius13 01-08-07  08:20 am
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 01:57 pm:   

Start here...

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 03:55 am:   

Big games today. Jax-Indy, Chicago-Minn, Pit -Cinci, Seattle-NY. Gonna watch the morning games, then work.

Minz
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 06:38 am:   

You forgot the mostest importantest game of the day: GB @ Det.

At stake: last place in the worst division in the league. One would think that's worth mentioning.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 08:08 am:   

I was going to, but I knew you would. :-)

I like GB in this one, but I wouldn't bet it.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 01:21 pm:   

Eli's sucking! :-)

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 04:40 pm:   

I think the Giants have found a method -- let a team get way ahead, utterly suck so that the other team stops playing, and then make a comeback.

Eli Manning is just bad!

It's stealing money to bet against him on the road.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 04:58 am:   

deductions drawn from yesterday --

The Giants need bigtime secondary help.
Rex Grossman is finally growing up.
The Patriots need some wide-outs.
The Steelers need something -- fumbling away a game to the Bengals is not the way back to the Super Bowl.
The Browns....Acch! Forget it.
Chicago-Seattle next week looks like the game of the year in the NFC.
Tom Coughlin can't control his team...or can he? We're gonna find out.
Did Green Bay play yesterday?

Minz
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 04:03 pm:   

36 25 69.4 340 3 0
Favre's line:
25 of 36, 340 yards, 3 TDs no INTs, rating 127.
Most important stat: 10 different receivers with at least one catch.

Not bad for an old hasbeen. (Yes, it was only Det, but how many dominant defenses are in the league)

Of course, don't talk to me about the Pack Defense. Will SOMEBODY FIRE KURT SHOTTENHEIMER. Idiot couldn't coach a db to cover a turtle. He was with us for 3 seasons of repeated torchings, he was fired by Sherman and the dbs played well last year. So they bring the idiot back this year. BLEARGH. Never seen such an amazing display of how a really bad assistant coach can mess up a position.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 04:22 pm:   

Farve having a good game now and then isn't the point; the longer you delay transition, the worse that transition willl be. It's not even arguable. Minnesota's obviously taken a step up and every time Brett throws for three hundred, it's a step farther away from respectability. I love it...and apparently, for all the wrong reasons, so do you.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 08:47 pm:   

The Saints are 3-0. Ain't gonna last, I don't think, but I bet it feels sweet.

Minz
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 06:07 am:   

So how is Favre hurting the transition? We're clearly in the middle of it right now, with 19 rookie and first-year players on the roster. And if Brett helps us win some games, and maybe squeak into the playoffs (even if we get killed by a real playoff caliber defense), where's the harm? If anything, he's showing a commitment to winning, and to the team. Aaron Rodgers isn't getting to play? So what? How many times have we seen Favre backups finally emerge after being his understudy for 3 or more years. Hasselback. Brunell. Even Detmer and Brooks were greatly aided by not being thrown in right away, and be given a chance co develop at a slower pace. Rodgers clearly played better this preseason compared to last, and yet he still hit a wall, and I'm glad he's not starting yet.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 07:13 am:   

Drink some more Koolaid, Jim. I can't argue with someone who has a green jersey over his head. I hope Farve has many more years ahead of him, I really do. For me, it's great. To say that, let's say, Hassellbeck's development was aided in his development by NOT playing...that's just insane. The league is rife with stories about QBs who have been thrown in early, takem their lumps, and gone on to great success. It did not help Hasselbaclk and Brunell, it hurt them, it retarded their development. And if Rodgers can't play, as I suspect is the case, then they won't find out til Rip Van Farve retires. Let Farve have his four or five wins a year, let him break Marino's record while the team goes to hell. I'm good.

Minz
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 04:54 pm:   

Ridiculous. Hasselbeck was greatly aided by not playing, and being given several years to learn the intricacies of the West Coast offense without any pressure. In fact, he's said so himself, and he credits current Packer Head Coach Mike McCarthy for him breaking through as a player--as a second year player, with McCarthy's offseason QB camp. Same for Brunell, who said he was greatly aided by being abel to spend a couple seasons backing up Brett and learning the ropes.

Both these guys were fifth round picks. If they'd been thrown into a QB derby as rookies, they might never have even played in this league. Heck we cut Kurt Warner (it was the year we had Brunell & Detmer as backups)

And I think you should always be competing to win, with the best player out there.

Of course, on your side you do have strong evidence yourself: I hadn't thought of it until now, but Troy Aikman sticking around too long is obviously why the Cowboys have stunk for the past decade. :-)

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 05:25 pm:   

You go ahead and compete all you want to, win your four or five games a season. I assume Philly will get GB back of the losing track this week.

Yeah, wow, Hasselback learned the system so well, he was totally lost for two years under Holmgren in Seattle before he got a handle on it. That''s just BS. You can't learn except by playing. Period. As for what H said, you know these QBs mostly say what's politic.

Aaron Rodgers is not a fifth round pick, you may recall.

Take a look at Gradowski for TB this week. He's a lower round pick who's pressed into a starting job, and I think that while he'll fuck up some, he'll do fine.

"I was greatly aided by Brett..." I'm sure Brett was as warm and cuddly to Brunell and Hasselback as he's been to Rodgers, which is not at all, and I'm sure they were just doing like Rodgers, basically saying, "BF is the kindest, warmest human being I've ever met," Manchrian-Candidate style.

And please don't compare Aickman's situation to Goober Farve's. Aikman didn't hang on til his beard was gray. I use the word "stunk" cautiously, if I was you. What was the Cowboy's record last year? And what was the Packs's? As for this year, by the time the Cowboys are 2-1 (they play the Titans after a bye) the Pack will be a delightful 1-4. Tell me all about it, Minz. Like I said, I'm having fun. My dream's coming true. Big smile. Go Pack. Go Brett... :-)

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 06:58 am:   

TO attempts suicide. That's all I know, but apparently it's true. He took an overdose of painkillers. Stay tuned.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 07:10 am:   

Now they're saying it may be a mistake -- that TO responded to a police question, Did you try to harm yourself, with a Yes, but that may have been in confusion and the woman who was with him said he didn't attempt suicide. Or that may be a cover-up....

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 07:28 am:   

Looks like TO reaklly did attempt suicide and the woman is trying to cover it up. During the 911 call, she said that TO tried to kill himself.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 09:15 am:   

I am not sure how you take 35 painkillers by mistake. The doctors who pumped his stomach would surely not just pull that number out of thin air.

Not a big expert on pain pills, but I bet 35 of anything will give you quite an "allergic" reaction...

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 09:30 am:   

Seriously,

The cover-up has begun bigtime. Now his teammates past and present, psychologists all, are attempting to analyze and say it didn't happen.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 10:30 am:   

I cringe when I think of what those nice, sympathetic humanitarian Eagles fans are going to do with this on Oct. 8. TO may wish he had taken 36 pills.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 10:34 am:   

He's gonna give a press conference today at 12:15 -- maybe it is a shuck. 'Cause if it was suicide, I doubt he''d play and doubt he'd give a press conference.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 02:41 pm:   

This must be whacko day. Now Sean Alexander is claiming the broken bone in his fiit has been healed by the power of prayer and he'll play vs the bears on Sunday. Paul Holmgren, to his credit, is doubtful.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 06:07 am:   

Update: apparently the power of prayer falied Sean. The crack in his foot is--surprise, surprise--still there. God's such a putz.

Josh Rountree
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 07:00 am:   

I listened to all the regional and national TO coverage yesterday and after sifting through it all, I think TO is quite possibly telling the truth. My take is, he took a few too many pills in his attempt to fight back the pain and get back on the field (5 or 6, not 35). His publicist came over and he was a little out of it. She noticed his pill bottle was empty. He claims he'd actually put the rest of them elsewhere in a daily medicine case, and absolutely did not take 35 pills as was originally reported.

Anyway, she doesn't know this, freaks out and calls 911 babbling about him commiting suicide. I think he absolutely did need to visit the hospital, but I doubt it was a planned overdose.

If it was suicide, I don't think they'd have realeased him from the hospital so quickly, and I definitely don't think he'd be in the right state to give a press conference after working out all morning and tossing the ball around with Romo and Bledsoe. I have to have faith (naieve...maybe?) that even Jerry Jones wouldn't hustle a guy back out to practice if there was a genuine possibility that he'd tried to take his own life.

Of course, we'll never know for sure, and I could be entirely wrong. I'm usually more cynical about these things, but I think this was just a huge mixup.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 07:06 am:   

Yep, me too.

Thank you, the media, for that wonderful ride.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 07:14 am:   

One more thing, I think he did take too many pills, one way or another, so it not suicide he was pulling a farve, and getting next to that cozy warm feeling.

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 08:08 am:   

Granted, I am no athlete and have never had to deal with playing football with a plate in my hand or such things, but doesn't it still seem kind of foolhardy to go gulping down 5 or 6 prescription pain pills?

I would be sickened by 5 or 6 ibuprofen!

Are athletes really that reckless with drugs?

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 08:37 am:   

I don't know. TO is, apparently. I think he's rather naive about doctors in general.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 07:03 pm:   

I just caught the GB score at haltime. Boy, the Eagles nust suck! :-)

Deborah
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 08:30 pm:   

Do y'all see this?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Aqb45Noa0nzHbDDb9n0KwF9DubYF?slug=ap-cowboys-to-childrensbook&prov=ap&type =lgns

Book Four: Little T is Drowned in the Shower by His Very Own Team!

Lucius
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 09:13 pm:   

Wow! I'm at a loss. When did little T learn to apologize? Do you think he's really writing them? :-)

Next we'll have Charlie Weiss writing books on what every young girl should know!

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 06:25 am:   

This just in -- the TO books are going to be illustrated by Rae Carruth,

Wonder how Rae's doing, btw?

Deborah
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 07:41 am:   

Is Ray Lewis the packager on those?

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 11:50 am:   

I think this is a Maurice Clarett production, but I hear tell Ray funded the joint.

:-)

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 06:02 am:   

Never let be said that I let pass an opportunity for Farve-bashing. Seriously, Minz. Don't you think it's time to have the old geeze put down?

Minz
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 07:28 am:   

You can't blame Brett for the fumble. Bad enough Little blew right around Tauscher, but there was also the DT who collapsed the pocket so Brett couldn't step up. Brett had less than 2.5 seconds from snap to getting hit by Little, according to the paper. (Okay, he should've just tucked as soon as it started to collapse around him, but you can hardly blame him for the jailbreak in blocking, especially since there wasn't even a blitz.)

Of course, he was way offtarget earlier in the game, but there were no INTs (in fact, no real dropped INTs, at least for St Louis. We dropped three INTs, two of them easy picks right in the breadbasket--one to Hawk, one to Harris, and Woodson should've had one, though he was reaching back for it). Not a great game, but you can hardly put the loss, and the fumble, on Brett's shoulders.

Friggin D got flagged again for 12 men on field, and again had two plays where only 10 defenders were on the field. Forget Kurt Schottenheimer. Might be time to fire the entire defensive staff. I mean this is Pop friggin Warner stuff. You got to be able to at least get your men on the field and lined up in some sort of defense. Kee-rist, most HS teams have better defensive coaching than that.

Other than the blowout to Chicago (and we're far from alone in that dept), our losses can be laid mostly on a D that has been bumbling at best, and atrocious at worst.

Still some positive signs: other than the last offensive play, the OL has played good games the past couple of weeks. Brett was never even knocked to the ground two weeks ago. And the run game is starting to come together. The OL is starting to get the zone-blocking/cut-blocking scheme. Yes, I still loathe the cut-block, but I want us to play our scheme well, regardless of whether I hate it. Both Denver and Atlanta have shown how effective this scheme can be for a run game, with minimal talent in the OL. And we're showing signs of making it work. Noah Herron averaged better than 5 yards a carry as the primary ball carrier this week.

The young DL is making strides as well, and so are the LBs (though I wish I can say I'm surprised Hawk hasn't been better--I saw this coming from before draft day. Don't get me wrong, I think he'll be a good LB--he's too good an athlete not to, and maybe he'll develop into a great one, but I just didn't see it. OSU's dominating D had a lot to do with so much talent at so many positions, and Hawk was the benficiary of that). At least Jennings is doing even better than I predicted on draft day. He's clearly the best rookie WR, like I said he would be. but if it weren't for Bush, he'd be a shoo-in for Offensive Rookie of the Year.

We're making strides. How we come out of the bye week will go a long way to determine where this season goes. Clearly we're rebuilding, and there's progress. There needs to continue to be progress. (And Brett does NOT hinder this progress, unless he begins to mail it in. He hasn't yet.)

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 08:07 am:   

Do you realize how many of your sentence and paragraphs have this construction...

Brett good...okay, he should have...of course he was way...

Just thought I'd mention it. It's always something, right?

A cockeyed optomist might predict a 5-11 season for the Pack, meaning they'd go four and seven the rest of the way. Wasn't that the record last year? Time to find out about Rodgers, man. I bet you go 5-11 next year, too. The young players just aren't that good. Sorry.

Jennings for rookie of the year? Or Bush? Do the words Lawrence Mulroney mean anything to you? Prediction -- Jennings will be gone at the end of his contract. Why play with the Pack when you can play with a potential Super Bowl team and average 22.5 yards a catch, as Walker is doing?

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 08:09 am:   

Oh, yeah. Like I said, I'm good. :-)

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 12:00 pm:   

Redskins' offensive fantasia was nice while it lasted...

How about Vince Young? Maybe he was more ready than anyone thought?

I'm no fan of TO, but if he chose to bash Bledsoe, I would have to agree with him after watching the Eagles game. Bledsoe had TO open for big plays twice and underthrew him by 3-5 yards each time. He looked like a rookie.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 12:04 pm:   

Young had miserable passing stats and threw two (or was it three?) INTs.

Bledsoe was getting hammered, but yeah...

Nicholas Paris
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 01:52 pm:   

Bledsoe was miserable. I do not want to see him take another snap for the rest of the season and I'm shocked that Parcells has already said he's going to keep his job. If he's not going to make the change now, then he might as well say that Bledsoe is his man for the whole season and get it over with. And then I can give up already. Bledsoe might be the stupidest QB in the NFL.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 02:24 pm:   

Though I basically agree, I don't think Romo's all that and you can't lay it all onn Bledsoe. The OL has sucked and the running game is spotty at best.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 06:34 am:   

Where did Romo play his college ball?

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 06:38 am:   

Easterm Illinois...

Arnie Hamilton
Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 06:37 pm:   

As a lifelong, Dallas based Cowboy fan, I really expected better results from bringing Parcells in to coach this team. I figured the team as a whole would get significantly better. But other than the defense being marginally upgraded (the defense was pretty solid during the last few years before Parcells arrival), all we've got to show for the Jersey genius being in charge are three or four major draft busts on the offensive line (seriously high draft-picks at that) and no closer to finding a starting quarterback than the day he showed up.

He stuck it out with "Inteceptaverde" all during the '04 season, even when it was violently clear that Vinny was done. But all we could get out of him was that Vinny "gives us the best chance to win". So even in the blow out games, he refused to hand the ball off to one of the young guys to get a little experience with some mop-up duty.

And with the last game of the '05 season being pointless by gametime (it was on a Sunday night and the Cowboys had been eliminated from the postseason earlier in the day), Parcells again refused to give the ball to one of the young guys to at least get some kind of read on them.

The local Dallas/Fort Worth media are handing him his ass on a daily basis at his press conferences, as he clearly fails to grasp that the QB situation is not being handled competently by the knucklehead he has personally handed the ball to - and he's the only one to blame for it.

It also seems obvious that Bledsoe, barring injury, will take the last snap in week 17 as they once again fail to make the playoffs. Subsequently, Parcells will likely walk off the field as a coach for the last time with his image as a genius seriously tarnished.

Romo may, or may not be the answer. But, for four years, Parcells has failed to provide us with anything better as a backup quarterback. And in case anyone failed to notice it, we actually do not have a third-string quarterback on the team or practice squad... what a dumbass.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 06:54 pm:   

Do you blame Parcells for the draft and not Jones? I'd say Jones is majorly to blame -- his last good decision was the Jimmy Johnson hire. I don't think Romo's the answer...or Bledsoe, And I don't see a real franchise QB out there. Brady Quinn's not all that. Maybe Brom of Louisville but I doubt he'll come out. Drew Tate is a maybe proposition. Chris Leak the same. There are some great-looking freshman and sophomore. In other words the 'boys are fucked. I never bought into the pre-season hype. That's an 8-8 team. and they're basically out of luck for the next few years.

Anyway, that's pretty sad about the no -third Qb thing.

Arnie Hamilton
Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 08:16 pm:   

Jones doesn't get a free pass either in my book, that's for sure... it's just real hard to get a read on who is responsible for what exactly. The word is that Jones handles free-agents and Parcells and staff handle the draft. Although Parcells only just recently got his own guy as the head of scouting. Larry Lacewell was a Jones pawn, and it appears that he and Jones might get the rap for the draft busts rather than Parcells.

That would also explain Parcells reaction to many of the Cowboys free-agent signings on offense. Parcells hardly played Anthony Thomas or Peerless Price; almost seemed to avoid using them intentionally. Hard to imagine he would do that if he hand picked them for the roster.

I'll swear though, from listening to Jones in local interviews, he seems to have learned his lessons on handling personnel and I think he will let someone else do it from here on out. He wants another ring pretty badly, and before he gets too old to enjoy it too.

I also would not be suprised if he didn't try to get Jimmy to come back. Not sure if that'll work or not, but I do think he will try and do the right thing, as he believed he did in hiring Parcells.

8-8 is the same record I've got them down for as well. Unfortunately I've got a lot of friends who drank the pre-season Kool-aid, and the dissapointment is already starting to set in.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 04:27 am:   

Jimmy will never come back--he's a happy cat down in Miami, and he doesn't need the angst. Maybe for a kazillion bucks, but I don't think JJ has that much. If I were Jerry, I start looking for a franchise QB in the middle of the draft....

I'm a browns fan basically, but I;ve been following the cowbows ever since they drafted Irvin--he was one of my favorite players at the U--and I've become a fan of the 'boys. It's sad to have two teams that aren't going anywhere.

Arnie Hamilton
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 07:38 pm:   

OFF-TOPIC...

Have you made a hard decision on whether you are coming to Austin next month for World Fantasy?

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 09:59 pm:   

I'm definitely not going to WFC; going to France instead.

Arnie Hamilton
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 08:37 am:   

If given the chance, I'd take the trip to Europe too.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 01:04 pm:   

Yeah, well. Most would. Too bad it had to be the same weekend.

Josh Rountree
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 02:07 pm:   

Enjoy France! I'll drink some extra beer for you here in Austin.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 02:38 pm:   

Don't drink too much, man. You'll mis the Cowboys in the Super Bowl.... :-)

Yeah, y'all have fun.

Josh Rountree
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 07:01 am:   

I might miss that anyway... ;)

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 01:01 pm:   

I love the way the Jints put the stones to Tricky Vicky and the Falcons in Hot 'Lanta and all the ESPN t. heads wanted to talk about was the plays made by "dangerous" Michael Vick. You would think Tiki Barber hadn't shredded their d.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 01:10 pm:   

Or warwick dunn... :-)

Don't go all the Giants don't get no cred on ESPN. They get plenty of attention.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 07:11 am:   

I luvved watching Denny Green fume and pound the podium last night after his Cards choked. What a jackass.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 05:24 pm:   

You don't like Denny Green? Wow. What a_____! :-)

Judging by ESPN, that was a brutal loss. Maybe he's entitled.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 06:15 am:   

Haven't liked Denny Green since I read PROS AND CONS: CRIMINALS IN THE NFL and read what a zoo he operated in Minnesota.

Yes, brutal loss; I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 06:50 am:   

You have an amazing amount of naivete if you don't think that goes on all over. It does. If you're gonna hate DG, then you gotta hate all the coaches and the entire boys will be boys ethic that rules in the NFL...Even guys like Coughlin who are disciplinarians on the field are premissive in the way you're getting on Green about.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 07:32 am:   

Aw, I'm not really getting on him. I just enjoy watching him squirm. It's not like I'm saying he should be fired or anything. Tommy Coughs? No way! He runs a tight ship!!! :-)

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 07:34 am:   

Everyone else is saying it for you.

You don't run a tight ship and have Jeremy Shockey on it... :-)

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 09:00 am:   

Damn hurricanes! :-) Did you hear that Lamar Thomas got bounced from his broadcast job after the FIU game (or was it FAU?) because he went on a rant about how "you don't bring that stuff into the OB..."?

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 09:02 am:   

Don't forget, I am uniquely sympathetic to Denny Green. I think the Giants are the only team in NFL history to sack a coaching staff after one embarrassing choke. I believe Bill Arnsparger and his staff got booted soon after they lost the Miracle at the Meadowlands to Philly in 1978.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 01:08 pm:   

Now they're spreading terror hysteria to NFL stadiums <sigh>...

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 01:11 pm:   

The Canes?

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 01:41 pm:   

No, some website sez that there are threats to seven NFL football stadiums this weekend.

Sounds half-baked to me. I mean, if I'm an insane-ass fundamentalist Muslim bomber, am I going to go to an NFL stadium, already patrolled by hundreds of goons hired by the fascist owners to make sure I don't smuggle a sausage sandwich or a bottle of Yoohoo into the stadium, or am I going to park at the Fairview Mall, where Old Snuffy the security guard counts sheep eight hours on a Sunday?

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 02:21 pm:   

If I know you, Dave, you're gonna be looking for a Steven Seagal concert. :-)

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 05:27 pm:   

ETBH. Seagal would, however, kick a dirty bomb's ass, make it apologize and send it packing (on its own nickel) back to the Middle East.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 05:49 pm:   

After first making love to it.... :-)

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 09:55 pm:   

It was, as it turns out, some 20 year old white guy.

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 11:04 am:   

Dumbass WI convenience store clerk.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 11:37 am:   

You would have preferred a MI comvenience store clerk....

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 12:01 pm:   

I have nothing in particular against either state. A friend of mine taught for many years at U-Dub in Madison...I am, however, prejudiced against convenience store clerks ever since the guy at our 7-11 started dogearing the pages of Juggs every month.

Josh Rountree
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 07:35 am:   

Make or break tonight for the Cowboys. The Giants come to town for MNF. The winner leads the NFC East, the loser is in third place and fading.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 08:55 am:   

I don't know if it's make or break. I'm getting a feeling nobody's any good in the NFL East, maybe in the NFL. Anyway, 9-7 could win the division.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 08:48 pm:   

The Cowboys blew.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 10:17 pm:   

Watching that mess last night, I kept thinking, This is the best the NFC East has to offer? Neither one of those teams is worth a shit. They've got some great players, but they got some really crappy players, too.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 05:52 am:   

More....not only are the these teams rife with lousy players, they play inconsistently during the course of a game. Here are the Giants with a qb who completes about fifty percent of his passes, a D that one minute plays like nobody's blocking them, the next like they can't cover anyone. Completely lacking in consistency. It's just bad, bad football.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 10:34 am:   

I guess a woo hoo is out of the question, then. :-)

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 10:53 am:   

Woo....

You'll have to find a hoo somewhere else.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 11:16 am:   

I'll go ask Roger Daltrey. I hear he's available.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 11:25 am:   

Arnie Hamilton
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 06:05 pm:   

Boy was I wrong. I can't honestly believe that Parcells made the switch at quarterback, but making the switch at haltime when they were only down by 5 points? Hell, we were losing to Houston at halftime the week before (I think?). I guess the old man's farther gone than I thought he was. Parcells might be out of here before Denny Green gets the boot in Arizona.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 07:05 pm:   

Don't kid yourself. Jerry's a starfucker. Bill will be there, if he wants to, through next year.

Ugh. All I can think to say is, that really blew.

Arnie Hamilton
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 11:21 am:   

I agree with you about Jones, but four years worth of rumors aside, we've finally got public confirmation that Jones and Parcells are not really on the same page with regards to personnel.

Jones only comments on the issue yesterday was that he was not in-favor of making this switch. He feels that Bledsoe is the Cowboys best bet to get them back to the playoffs.

At his press conference just a few minutes ago, Parcells sounded pretty upbeat and positive, and he even told the reporters "to stop asking and worrying about the playoffs, because he wasn't worried about that as an issue". Romo is his guy going forward.

I would rather let Parcells win out on all personnel decisions, Jones list of sins is lengthy when it comes to personnel, but if Dallas loses ground towards Jones goals, I wouldn't be surprised to see him pull the rug out from under Parcells - but maybe not 'til seasons end. Firing Parcells wouldn't make it into Jones top two coaching snafus ; he's the guy that fired Tom Landry while Landry was playing golf, and ran Jimmy Johnson off after consecutive Super-Bowl wins.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 11:53 am:   

True...

I saw the press conference. Oh well. The Romo era has begun,

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 08:18 pm:   

Well, I gotta admit, Romo looked good tonight. Very impressive.

Deborah
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 10:18 am:   

It's too bad I stopped watching the Browns or I might have seen that very convincing win over the Jets yesterday. I might've seen Kellen Winslow playing like a man instead of a spoiled asshole. I might even have seen Charlie Frye standing tough no matter how many times he got knocked down.

I might be sitting here this morning saying, Well, Romeo seems to be teaching them how to finish (finally).

But, of course, I wasn't watching. Nope, not me.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 10:38 am:   

Yeah, I guess they looked right good. Winslow was a great player at Miami. Looks like he's finally showing it.

I watched the Cowboys and the jacksonville game. You wealthy people and your NFL gameplans.... ;)

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 01:14 pm:   

Browns may have found a star at QB in Derek Anderson ex of Oregon State, who drove the Browns to 2 4th qtr TDS and an OT fg.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 04:30 pm:   

How about them cowboys!

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 07:55 am:   

Don't congratulate Romo too much. It was divinely-ordained. It Gramatica hadn't made a strong enough kick, Yahweh would have sent a cadre of cherubim to miracle the ball through the posts. For so it is written, on the day the Giants protect a fourth-quarter lead against the Cowboys, the Rapture is nigh.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 08:05 am:   

Hey, Romo doing all right, man. That 42 yarder to Whitten right in step, while he was scrambling...Eli can't do that. Right now, the top two choices for NFC Pro Bowl quarterback are Brees and Romo.

Josh Rountree
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 10:21 am:   

I keep waiting for the Romo bubble to burst, but I don't think it's gonna happen. He's the real deal. Even though he had a so-so game yesterday, he managed to step up and put them in position to win the game when it mattered.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 10:33 am:   

Yep. And conversely, even though ELI had a great game for him, he made just enough mistakes to seal the deal.

I wasn't a believer, but this game convinced me that Romo's for real.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 04:06 pm:   

Just wait until he starts to slip up. Texans can find a few things to rhyme with "Romo."

Lucius
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 04:17 pm:   

Eli? :-)

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 01:13 pm:   

No, I was thinking like:

"Hey, what are you running in? Slo-mo?"

or

"Hey, Romo, you throw like Perry Como!"

You know. Hurtful things like those.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 01:20 pm:   

i thought you were going for a false rhyme.

I already knew one Romo the Homo back in the music business--this weird, pizza-faced guy who kept lending money to this pathetic band called Silver Cloud.

And it is Eli, not Romo, who runs in slo-mo. He's a dud, Dave. Get used to it.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 06:54 am:   

Compared to the litany of Giants signal-callers over the years (Snead, Pisarcik, Rutledge, Palmer, etc.), Manning is more than adequate. I refuse to absolve his supporting cast by putting all the blame on him. Frankly, I'm still a little giddy that the Giants, after 30 years, finally have a QB who can put the ball in the endzone in the fourth quarter.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 07:07 am:   

Oh yeah, the Giants bite through and through, no doubt.

"Frankly, I'm still a little giddy that the Giants, after 30 years, finally have a QB who can put the ball in the endzone in the fourth quarter."

1 out of every four games is enough for you, huh?
When things go well, Eli goes well. But unless he's got a great team around him, he's not going to win in this league.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 08:21 am:   

I have taken the liberty of composing for the Cowboys faithful, a new cheer, which you should feel free to use:

Tony Romo! Tony Romo!
He's the Cowboys' major domo!
Neo-classicist or pomo
Everyone yell Tony Romo!
For indigestion, he's our bromo
Onward! Onward, Tony Romo!

[repeat as necessary]

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 08:36 am:   

Well, I don't feel compelled to repeat it, but you gotta admit, he's doing the job.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 01:29 pm:   

So how's it feel in advance, Dave, to lose to Chris Weinke? :-)

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 02:05 pm:   

Not good. How's it feel in advance to lose to Troy Smith? :-)

Lucius
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 02:40 pm:   

At least Smith's on a good team and is good himself. Actually, I'm happy they made it to the game. And I'm hoping for overconfidence.

Bill
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 05:19 pm:   

Seattle lost and, hopefully, if the Cowboys lose then The Bears get the first round bye (i think)

Go Bears

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 05:48 pm:   

The Bears have home field sewed up throughout the playoffs.

Talking down the 'boys aim't gonna get you nowhere 'round here, son. :-)

Lucius
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 06:08 am:   

Wow. Did the cowboys get clobbered? Gess the Saints are for real.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 01:04 pm:   

It's official. The Jints are an embarrassment.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 02:52 pm:   

Eli's Coming...apart.

9-25, 74 yds. 1 td, 1 int.

Some stat line. Way to step up in the big game, Eli.

Minz
Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 08:24 pm:   

So, at the beginning of the season, I said we'd have our ups and downs, as the youngest team in the league, and that we had an outside shot at the playoffs. And here we are, the last week of the season, and we have an outside shot at the playoffs. granted, even if the stars align and we get in, it'll probably be one and done--we so desperately need another weapon on offense (really wish we would've drafted Vern Davis, Bubba is frickin' killin' us. Did everything he could to lose the last game. Maybe he needs to stay in GB for offseason, instead of partyin' with the 'Cane alum on South Beach.)

But, we are the youngest team in the league, the d has improved (at least they finally stopped playing 245pound KGB as an every down DE--duh!). We should be better next year. We'll go into next season over 30mil under the cap. #1 priority is a coupla upgrades on offense. We should go after Cooper Carlisle, FA RG Denver. Ted Thompson should be calling his agent the exact moment free agency starts. A 7-year vet who really knows the zone/cutblocking scheme. Spitz has come a long way for a late round rookie, but I'd feel a lot better with him as the backup. Unfortunately, pretty slim pickings among FA TE. Same for WR. Though it's too early to tell if there'll be cap casualties (maybe Tony Gonzalez, and even though he's thirty, he'd be worth it as long as it didn't kill future caps.)

Oh, and Brett will be coming back, and I am happy about that, and we'll be a solid playoff contender next season.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 08:35 pm:   

You'll play a tougher schedule and you'll suck. Farve's not what he used to be. I don't know what this fixation is on Farve. You need to get on with the next team. You're not gonna win, you'll never even get a sniff of a Super Bowl. But hey, if mediocrity is your eidolon, make Farve the quarterback in perpetuity. I hope it makes you happy. I know I'm happy for me. :-)

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 03:45 am:   

I didn't read this closely enough. Stay in GB? Oh yeah. Al you need, Bubba, is a winter in GB. Nothing to do, nothing to see, a sub-zero hell. That'll work.

PS -- having the youngest team doesn't mean they're ever going to be any good.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 07:21 am:   

Hey, Lucius, whaddaya want, a medal or a chest to pin it on?

The Giants always find a way to embarrass their fans at the end of the season. After a while, it doesn't even hurt anymore.

If I were you, I would worry about the performance Mister Romo put on...I think all that American Idol patootie-shagging is clouding his judgment.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 07:32 am:   

I can tell it doesn't hurt, Dave. By the measured way in which you speak.

The Cowboys have already exceeded my expectations. I didn't believe they'd make the playoffs. 8-8, I figured. A record toward which the Jints yet aspire. Romo's gonna be okay. Maybe not this year, but eventually. He's doing better than a certain Giant.

I'm just delighted in Eli's season. __He__ has not exceeded my expectations.

Bill
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 01:01 pm:   

Looking at the record of each, I can't believe that Romo is in the pro bowl over Grossman.

The only team Chicago has to fear (other than themselves) is philadelphia in the NFC and San Diego on the AFC side (but not by much)

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 01:11 pm:   

I think the Ravens will win the AFC and destroy whoever comes out of the NFC. They'h had 27 sacks in their last six and given up a total of one. Their defense is playing like a real defense, not getting gashed like Da Bears. I don't Da Bears will make it. New Orleans looks good to me.

Bill
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 02:51 pm:   

If you look at the last two games, Smith clearly said that the defense scheme was being played with to test new theories. Moreover, we have Tank back this week. The attacks on the bear defense is about 50% accurrate with the other 50% being not looking at the whole picture. The secondary needs to step up (which they did to a certain extent against the lions).

However, the only way a defense is good is how well they get to the quarterback and how well the qb can execute a draw play.

In the bear's defense (no pun intended - but I am glad it worked out that way), Grossman is very good at the draw play AND the offensive line is very good at protecting grossman.

In addition, defense and special teams are not expected to score points. The bear's defense and special teams do score points. No other team can match that.

Finally, Lovie will (hopefully) soon realize that the best thing to do is get Bensen started first to hammer the defense to tire and throw in jones, with fresh legs, to run it right down the oppoent's throats.

However, this season will be won by the coaches and not the players.

Nevertheless, GO BEARS (good luck to the cowboys - only saying out of respect to you Lucius)

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 03:15 pm:   

I like Grossman. I think he'll be all right. But even with Johnson their defense was being gashed. I think you're way overestimating the Bears on defense. Giving up 23 to the Lions is not stepping up. Baltimore and SD are a lot more consistent. I make Baltimore the favorite to win the tourney because of QB play.

William Lexner
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 06:44 pm:   

Do not overlook New England.

Baltimore is a quality squad, but McNair has yet to prove he's a winner.

San Diego has a 1st year QB who can be shaken and the impending doom of Marty Ball.

The Jets are a quality football team. But they're not ready yet.

The Jaguars are the most talented team in football. But half those players are injured.

The Colts? Peyton is a loser.

Broncos are in a downward spiral.

The NFC?

Please.

The AFC Championship *is* the Super Bowl. Sorry Bears, Cowboys, and Packers fans.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 06:58 pm:   

McNair's not a winner? He went to the freaking Super Bowl and nearly beat the highly favored Rams. Nobody's overlooking the pats. And just because the Jets beat the Pats doesn't make them "a quality squad." They have a QB with no arm, no running back, etc.

And I'm not overlooking the NFC, either. Seattle should have won the tourney last year. This the Parity NFL. On any given Sunday....

William Lexner
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 07:47 pm:   

This is the parity AFC. The only Super Bowl the NFC has won this millennium is the one in which their head coach knew the playbook of the opposition, and taught it to his defense, audible calls and all.

The Jets are far better than you give them credit for -- very stout on defense, especially up the middle. Pennington might not be a gunslinger, but he is smart and accurate and tough under pressure. McNair lost in the Super Bowl. A warrior? Yes. A quality football player? Yes.

A winner?

Not as of yet.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 08:18 pm:   

The jets are just all right, man. I'm sorry they beat the pats and suddenly were elevated in your view, but they're capable of losing to anyone. They were life and death with the Dolphins last week, for Christ's sakes. (Wait, didn't the Dolphins beat the Pats this year? They must be really, really good too.) :-) And a week or two before that, that smart, accurate, tough QB of the Jets had one of the lowest ratings of the year playing against some less than worthy opposition.

So the only way one can be called a winner is to win a super bowl? I'll use your word.

Please.

As for one super bowl in nine years, yeah, but it should have been two last year, and there were a bunch of close games. I don't recall the Patriots blowing out the Rams or the Eagles. Despite what you say, there's not that much difference between winners and losers in the super bowl lately. I'd like the Pats. Tell you the truth, I'd like to see the Pats in the SB this year vs the Saints. I think Peyton would blow Bellichek's wheels off with his playcalling, but I doubt we'll see that, because the Patriots are most likely going to lose early on and the Saints are a year away from beating a top team...but I think they'd give the Pats hell. ;)

Minz
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 08:24 pm:   

Soooo, the packers can still make the playoffs...provided AZ, Det, Miami and SF all win, Carolina, Houston & TB all lose...oh, and the Packers beat the Bears. Hey, it could happen. (After TT's comeback against MN, anything's possible.) :-)

Okay, I'm hoping we'll still come out and play a good game and win, salvaging a .500 season when most said we'd be lucky to win the 4 we won last season. But odds are we'll be flatter than Gerald Ford's EKG (Ooops, is that too soon?)

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 08:28 pm:   

Not at all. The man who pardoned Nixon. Hey...

Lucius
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 05:31 am:   

"...stuff...stuff..."

Brett Farve, Dec. 31, 2006

William Lexner
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 02:11 pm:   

So.

McNair not a winner? Check.

NFC looking like a shadow of the AFC? Check.

Patriots on the fast track to another championship? Check.

I dunno guys. Maybe I'm not so crazy after all.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 02:19 pm:   

God, I'm beginning to hope that the Anti-Christ, Peyton Manning, eviscerates the fucking Patriots. Patriots on the fast track? Wrong. That 3-int, 51 yd rushing performance didn't look like the fast track to me. It looked like SD handed them the game. As for your other checks, one isn't worth commenting on and the other...don't give yourself props for saying something everybody has said, especially when there's no proof of it yet.

William Lexner
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 04:07 am:   

Sorry I offended, man. I promise not to attack any reporters or do the 'Lights Out' dance when the Pats win it all, ok?

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 06:10 am:   

do the lights out dance all you want. that was kind of amusing. but just don't tell me that was the fast track. ANd if the pats "win it all" that's proof postive that the NFL has dropped below the Mendoza line.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 07:53 am:   

Lucius, why would an individual with your respect for gridiron success be hatin on the Patriots? Nobody reloads and gets better play out of players the other guys ignored like Bill Belichick.

I'm thinking Pats-Aints Super Bowl. And a fine game it will be...

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 08:25 am:   

I don't hate the Pats. But they were they were given that game by SD--it was a lousy performance. Frankly I think Indy's gonna win and I won't watch a Super Bowl with PM in it. Also, I don't equate not being a winner with not having a SB ring, and I dislike the attitude of Pats fan who think that's the case, I also dislike the attitude that the AFC is vastly superior to the NFC, at least at the top of the conference, when recent SB games testify otherwise.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 11:07 am:   

Lucius, even if your bete noire wins his ring, ya gotta watch...

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 11:10 am:   

Oh no, I don't. And bete noire is too hifalutin a term to use for that white trash asshole...lessen' you're spelling it Betty Nwar.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 11:12 am:   

You wouldn't even watch to see if PM gets his heart broked?

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 12:15 pm:   

i might peek.

William Lexner
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 08:42 pm:   

Feel free to watch PM get his heart broke. It will happen on Sunday.

Dan Marino is a loser. Jim Kelly is a loser. And yes, Steve McNair is a loser. It was McNair's fault the Ravens lost this weekend.

If you don't win, you lose. Hence, a loser. It's really that simple. I felt the same way as a Pats fan in the 80's when my team was a loveable bunch of losers. 1-15 one year. It was depressing.

But they're not losers anymore. And it took championships to shed that. Making the playoffs is simply not good enough.

As for thinking Indy is going to win.... I simply can;t grasp how anyone could possibly believe that Peyton Manning could beat Belichick in the playoffs. It's mind boggling. Have the past few years been forgotten so easily? One playoff loss this decade, and we're ready to stick a fork in the Pats dynasty?

The days of loading up on all-pros at every position *coughcowboyscough* is over. This is what a modern day dynasty looks like; recognized by all or no.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 09:31 pm:   

You know, I just can't relate to you, man. By your idiotic definition, Trent Dilfer is a winner. It's not as simple as that...

You're not a fan, you're a zealot. You display not the slightest sense of humor regarding it. There's no hint of self-deprecation. There's just this pompous cant.

You've achieved the impossible -- You've inspired me to root for Peyton Manning. I used to appreciate the Pats; now I hope they catch the plague and die bleeding from the eyes.

Bye-bye.

William Lexner
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 03:44 am:   

Trent Dilfer *is* a winner.

And self-deprecation? I'm not Tom Brady, man. I don't suit up for the team, I'm just a fan. I thought I was displaying a lot of humor with regards to this, but I suppose it's not translating.

And frankly I'm surprised and bemused that your convictions could be swayed so easily with regards to Manning. But I mean.....come on. Does it really matter who you root for? The game was decided the second it was official.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 06:21 am:   

I don't go all the way with William, but you have to admit, there is such a thing as a culture of winning, and some teams just flat-out have others' numbers.

I think the Pats have got the hex on Indy. Simple as that. When it comes down to the crunch, Indy will choke.

I think NE-NO is a very competitive SB. NE-CHI would also be interesting, a chance for payback for that 1985-86 ass-whupping. I'm looking forward to the next two weeks.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 06:45 am:   

Indy-NO will be competitive, too.

Byron Bailey
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 11:36 am:   

Oh Ye of little faith!

The lamb of God, actually more of a Colt, shall redeem us all for Peyton Manning plays in Indianapolis. Take cheer, for Peyton shall win and bring peace to Indy.

And the peace originating in Indy shall spread throughout the other 47 contiguous United States into Canada, Mexico, South America, Europe, Asia, and Africa. The middle-east will still be screwed but what do you expect from Peyton Manning? He is the son of God yet he's still only Peyton Manning. If only God wasn't so Nepotic.... Anyway, go Colts!

(How's that for zealotry? I really hope that Lucius can now find it in his heart to stop rooting for the Colts. He's making me think that Armegeddon is just around the corner).

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 01:06 pm:   

Just so long as NO wins the big game, I don't care what Huckleberry Manning does.

This is my last word on the subject of winning.

Trent Dilfer is a winner. Wow. That's the dumbest ass thing I've ever heard. Trent Dilfer, according to my friend at NFL Graphics, is one of two guys who they generally consider the stupidest SOBs ever to pass their way, the other being Rick Mirer, guys who have trouble with questions like what's your favorite color. TD was a patch approximately the size and shape of a QB and proved the adage that defense wins championships. To say guys like Marino and so on are not winners because you're so pumped up on Flutie Flakes you feel you have to dump on everyone else, denies the fact that football is a team game, denies the fact that there can be bad players on good teams and vice versa. Look at Jim Plunkett. Reviled in New England, hero in Oakland. The idea that guys from Tarkenton to the first Manning to Kelly to Marino aren't winners is ridiculous. If Brady had been drafted by the Cardinals, he would have been a grease spot or may never have started a game. If Montana had played for the Steve Grogan Pats, he wouldn't have a ring. It's all the luck of the draw. The best team doesn't always win. Fortune plays a great part in sports. It really pisses me off to hear someone rave on like you, Lexner, and if I listen to your simplistic shit any more, I'm going to lose my fucking temper.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 02:13 pm:   

Hey, what are you dragging Flutie into this for?

Tarkenton: good QB, lousy bunco artist.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 07:33 pm:   

"Does it really matter who you root for? The game was decided the second it was official."

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 07:38 am:   

My condolences. Peyton finally gets to the big show. Much rejoicing at Chez Archie. I thought Brady might pull it off again, but...

Lucius
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 07:48 am:   

Break a leg, Peyton. ;)

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 08:04 am:   

Forgive the sour grapes, but did anybody see what that "roughing the passer" call was about? It was supposed to be a shot to the helmet, but on the replay I sure didn't see anything.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 08:06 am:   

It was BS, but that probably wouldn't have stopped 'em. New Enland was spent.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 08:07 am:   

As evidence of that, did you see the hole Addai ran though for the score?

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 10:18 am:   

It looked like the famous Mike Holmgren "let 'em score" formation.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 11:39 am:   

Exactly.

Josh Rountree
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 12:25 pm:   

Bill Parcells retires.

Let the rampant speculation begin!

Lucius
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 12:27 pm:   

Fuck, yeah. They say Dan Reeves is a possibility. No...please...

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 01:46 pm:   

In one sense, NFL head coach is a very insecure job. On the other hand, once you've head-coached somewhere, sometime, you are always in the mix. "Get me Richie Kotite on speed-dial! Is Marv Levy still alive??"

Lucius
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 02:04 pm:   

Rich Kotite...there's a name to conjure with. As is Ray Manley..handley...?

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 05:27 pm:   

Ray Handley...eek! Anybody know where Barry Switzer hangs out these days?

Byron Bailey
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 05:52 pm:   

That's odd. Peyton Manning came back from the dead in the second half and yet peace doesn't seem to have engulfed the world. Maybe that'll happen next game....

Lucius
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 06:21 pm:   

Maybe the bears will eat him. Then I'm sure there'll be peace.

Byron Bailey
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 07:00 pm:   

Yes. There is some debate among the faithful as to whether the Peyton is an all-conquoring Messiah or a sacrificial Messiah. A very few around my part of the woods might even doubt that the Peyton is a Messiah at all. However, one look at the grim-faced mobs dressed all in blue like demon-possessed smurfs generally convinces them that it would be unwise to express their doubts. If that doesn't convince them, the burnings invariably do.

Go Colts!

Lucius
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 07:11 pm:   

peyton is more of the reneck inbred messiah...

Go to hell colts....Oh, I forgot. The Colts reside in Indiana. Y'all can stay where you are.

Byron Bailey
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 07:30 pm:   

Peyton's harrowing of hell. That, too, is in the Holy Playbook. Whether hell is somewhere different from Indiana is still a matter of debate hotly contested, though.

Go to hell Colts! For it has been prophesized.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 08:23 pm:   

He's too much of a dork to harrow hell.

Andrew Fox
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 06:00 am:   

Ahh, well. It was a fantastic run, the best New Orleans has ever seen from its Saints. I'm far from the world's biggest gridiron fan, but even early on this season I found myself admiring the graciousness, stick-to-it-ness, and team spirit of this new group of Saints (Sean Payton replaced almost half of the 2005 squad with his own picks, looking for character guys rather than raw talent). Our defense was supposed to be near-awful, and even the most optimistic pundits here in New Orleans were predicting no better than an 8-8 season. But this squad, supposedly in its first year of a rebuilding phase, definitely over-achieved.

For the first time since the team's (somewhat meager) glory years of the late 1980s, everybody is really looking forward to the next season and anticipating great things. Reading back through the local headlines, the Saints' success provided virtually the only good news most residents here experienced in 2006. Sure, a great football season does nothing to put folks back in their homes and restore the city's broken fabric, but feel-good respites aren't to be taken lightly, certainly not during times like we've had these past eighteen months.

Looking forward to 2007! Thanks, Saints!

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 06:11 am:   

The Saints need to get more physical at CB and at linebacker...then they'll be okay. You got a great young coach and sone great young players. The days of the 'Ain'ts are over.

Josh Rountree
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 08:26 am:   

Hey, Andrew! Haven't heard from you in a while. Hope all is well. Wish Sean Payton was still with the Cowboys. ;)

Lucius -- I heard the name Butch Davis mentioned on Dallas radio today...of course I'm also hearing everyone from Stoops to Wandstadt mentioned too.

I have no idea who Jerry is going to get.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 08:42 am:   

Didn't Davis just sign on at UNC?

Anybody Lane Kiffen as the Raider coach or is that a non-event?

Andrew Fox
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 10:08 am:   

Hey, Josh! I'm not sure that I'll be able to get out to ArmadilloCon this year, but if I can, I'll surely let you know. I was bummed to have to miss out on World Fantasy out there in Austin last year. . . but family comes first!

Good luck with whomever your new coach will be in Dallas.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 12:54 pm:   

Come on, Chan Gailey...Come on, Chan Gailey! :-)

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   

Been there, done that. He might be a good fit with the Jints when they fire Coughlin.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 01:57 pm:   

Cam-po! Cam-po! Give him one more go-round!

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 02:00 pm:   

Handley, Handley...(for the Big Midgets)

Josh Rountree
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 03:17 pm:   

Missed you at WFC, Andrew. Hope you make Armadillocon!

Yes, Davis is taken but that doesn't stop the wild speculation. People here are even saying they should trade picks to NO for Payton -- like that's gonna happen.

Jerry has been interviewing the remaining staff, and he's reportedly asked permission to speak with the D coordinator for San Diego.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 03:38 pm:   

Wade Phillips? Oh, boy! :-(

Andrew Fox
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 05:23 am:   

Speaking of the Philips family, is Bum still around? He coached the Saints in the twilight of his career, bringing over his fellow over-the-hill-gang pals from the Oilers, Kenny Stabler and Earl Campbell. If he's still among the living, he might be tempted out of retirement for another go-round. Maybe he could bring in "Snake" Stabler as a backup to Romo??

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 07:05 am:   

Is Buddy Ryan still around?

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 07:08 am:   

Bum's still kicking, but he's about 85...

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 07:27 am:   

I think the Cowboys should shock the world and hire that guy from Boise. Imagine Tony Romo and Julius Jones running the Statue of Liberty...

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 07:42 am:   

Buddy's still around...

They're leaning toward Jason Garret, I hear.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 04:41 pm:   

And you thought you were getting a stiff...Norvus to the rescue!!!

Lucius
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 05:04 pm:   

They haven't decided yet. Mike SIngletary is flying in for an interview.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 01:09 pm:   

Brett Fav-ruh is back for yet another year, another year of packer futility, another year of Ol' Bret using his folksy charm to make us all upchuck...

Hoo Ray.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 07:06 am:   

Bet there were a lotta cows got tipped in Indiana last night...

Jesus, what an awful game.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 08:20 am:   

Imagine how omnipresent Peyton is going to be in advertising now. Sheesh.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 08:34 am:   

Oh, yeah. I just wanted a good game, I didn't give a shit who won. I didn't get my wish.

Byron Bailey
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 05:40 pm:   

I'm not a very good hoosier. I couldn't find a single cow to tip. I had to settle for a raccoon. Apparently, raccoons don't like being tipped. I don't think it had rabies, though. There was more foam coming from my mouth than from its mouth.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 05:51 pm:   

That beer hat sorta was too much for ya, huh?

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 03:52 am:   

Wade Phillips?

So up in Indiana, I hear tell that party at the Red Barn in Lafayette is still happening. Y'all better get on over there a'fore they run out of that free sody pop.

Laird Barron
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 03:22 pm:   

I'm dismayed.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 03:30 pm:   

Yeah, seriously. But he does know the 3-4, and the defense is the area that needs help, so...

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |