HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Something Wicker this Way Comes

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » Something Wicker this Way Comes « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bob_kruger
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 12:02 pm:   

http://www.electricstory.com/reviews/review.aspx?title=new/wickerman

PM
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 02:00 pm:   

Which Cage look will he have when he reads this? :-)

Well if we can't enjoy the movie at least we can enjoy the review!

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 02:15 pm:   

I think 2 covers all things outraged.

jk
Posted on Monday, September 04, 2006 - 10:52 am:   

Another of Labute's bad movies is The Shape of Things. In fact, it is downright nasty. A manipulative art student bitch uses a guy for her art project, pretending to be interested in him and starting a relationship, and getting him to change various things about himself. We find out at the end that she was just using him as the subject of some pretentious art project at school. This was one of the most mean-spirited and foul movies I've ever seen.
Funny review of Wicker Man, Lucius. I think you really hit on something with your big head theory too. Even musician's who photograph really well, like David Sylvian, have been said to have really big heads when you meet them in person.
And Lemming looks cool, it went to the top of my Netflix cue.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 04, 2006 - 11:05 am:   

Yeah, I saw the shape of things. Labute must have had a close encounter with one of my old girlfriends -- thing is, I didn't take it so hard. :-)

It's not a theory, it's a fact. Anyone in hollywood will tell you this is so.

Lemming is cool. It's sort of a companion piece to Cache, the playful side, as it were. Moll's first feature is also good. With Friends Like Harry. Less ambitious, more Hitchcocky, but very effective...

jk
Posted on Monday, September 04, 2006 - 11:16 am:   

Yeah, I saw With Friends Like Harry, that was good too. I like Charlotte Rampling too, she's done some interesting stuff at an age when most American actresses would have been put out to pasture.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 04, 2006 - 11:24 am:   

Rampling is awesome in this - a real ball-buster. But the revelation for me was Laurent Lucas, kind of a Daniel Day-Lewis type, who gives a terrific performance.

Bruce Chrumka
Posted on Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 10:39 am:   

Great review, Lucius. The only good thing to come out of this debacle is that Nicholas Cage was prevented from trashing a possibly decent treatment during the time he was grunting out this retread. Maybe LaBute got cranked up and watched ‘Harvest Home’ a dozen times before directing this sucker.

Howard Waldrop and Lawrence Person drive a few more stakes through this one over at Locus :

http://www.locusmag.com/2006/Features/PersonWaldrop_TheWickerMan.html

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 11:00 am:   

No more stakes necessary.

Thanks, Bruce.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |