HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Music 8

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » Music 8 « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 10:55 pm:   

By Rich Patterson on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 09:58 am:  Edit

Just saw the elimination show.

I thought Lukas was best so far at fronting the band. Toby would make them into a good pub rock outfit, but Lukas’ Goth thing will give them wider appeal. Gilby looked really pissed off while he was playing. Zero stage interaction with Lukas, other than showing him his back at the end of the song. Wouldn’t surprise me if Lukas rearranged the song and rewrote some of the lyrics (they introduced the song as “It’s On”, but Lukas was singing “Let it Shine On”) and Gilby resents it.

Wow, Dilana did poorly. Psycho Killer was a disaster. Not only unsuitable, but she forgot half the words. Why wouldn’t she play to her strengths when she has the chance to pick her own tune? Maybe it would cost the show a couple bucks extra to get the rights to what she really wants?

Goodbye Ryan, see you on the charts… America’s Most Wanted?
   By Lucius on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 04:05 pm:  Edit

Lukas had the best song so far....Maybe you're right about the song.

Yeah, see ya Ryan....not.

My computer's been down all day.

Glad you like Doubt Seeds, Robt. Blame Ben.....He's used to it.
   By Rich Patterson on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 07:16 pm:  Edit

Dylan Back: World Goes On

Forget the DVD special edition and buy the single disc of the new Dylan. He could’ve called it ‘Love and Theft 2’. Good originals and a couple of cool blues covers (Rollin and Tumblin, Someday Baby).
The DVD only has two live songs - “Love Sick” from the Grammys and “Cold Irons Bound” from the M&A movie set - along w/ Michael Douglas lip-syncing “Things Have Changed” and the video for “Blood in My Eyes”. A rip-off at twice the price.

The headline above is from Robert Christgau’s ‘Under the Red Sky’ essay from 1990. Well guess what? He got shit canned from the Voice on Tuesday, the same day this new Dylan album came out. Not as tragic as the events that happened the day ‘Love and Theft’ came out for sure, but still… after 30 odd years at the Voice… the end of an era.
   By PM on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 08:10 pm:  Edit

Saw the new Dylan for $9.99 at Best Buy. It's good to see CDs for $9.99 which is a fair price.

Maynard Ferguson died last week. He was a inspiration to many young musicians...
   By ben peek on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 09:36 pm:  Edit

i am blamed for much, it is true ;)

however, i have to say, now that i've heard three other bluebottle kiss albums, DOUBT SEEDS remains the most accomplished in terms of everything coming together. their first album, FEAR OF GIRLS, is pretty ordinary, boring stuff--it was a three piece back then. sounds a touch like old silverchair.

PATIENT (the second or third, i'm not sure) is actually the start of jamie hutchings going into the direction he wants. it's really quite raw in places, but i dig it a lot. worth getting, i think. and COME ACROSS is the natural disk before DOUBT SEEDS, with some real nice high spots in it.
   By Lucius on Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 11:50 am:  Edit

Ben, you ever think of doing a button esp for the ladies.

I HATE BEN PEEK
(with a passion)

By Robert Devereux on Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 04:40 pm:  Edit

Besides Doubt Seeds, I've been listening to some more post-metal stuff. Isis has a new album due out soon. 've heard it, but I don't like it. Isis has a side project, Red Sparowes, that focuses on clean guitar, keyboards/samples, and more mellow soundscapes. The new Isis sounds like Red Sparowes crossed with Tool. There's maybe about 10 minutes of music that sounds like Isis on it. I'm sure the switch in sound, along with touring with Tool, will increase their fanbase, but they've lost me.

However, all is not lost. Where Isis left off, Cult of Luna picked up. Somewhere Along the Highway is a very good copy of Isis. It may even surpass Oceanic (and it definitely surpasses the new Isis). I need to check out their earlier CDs.
   By Lucius on Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 04:56 pm:  Edit

Cult of Luna, huh? That sounds interesting. I'll go find me some.
   By Robert Devereux on Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 05:54 pm:  Edit

My first reaction to Cult of Luna was "It's good, but I'd prefer Isis." Hearing the new Isis made me realize they won't deliver what I like, I went back to CoL and liked them a lot more.
   By ben peek on Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 09:53 pm:  Edit

nah, i'm not going to make a special badge for girls. you have to draw yourself a line for this stuff ;)
   By Lucius on Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 10:45 pm:  Edit

Nah, you don't understand marketing . If I was Ben Peek I'd hit all the niches with varriants of the basic messages. Gay -- I think Ben Peek's fabulous, but I still hate him. Millworker -- I fucking hate that guy, whass his name? Yeah...Ben Peek. Maitre De -- I loathe Ben Peek (he tips poorly). I'd take it all the way. Romanians Hate Ben Peek, Egyptian's Hate Abu Ben Peek. Texans, midgets, librarians.....etc.

But then I used to own a T-shirt company, so I love shit like this.

ben peek
Posted on Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 11:01 pm:   

opps. posted at the same time the new one was made:

oh, okay. that sounds kind of cool, that. but i suspect that the market is kind of limited, and right now, i've just got them up on a cafepress website. we're giving away some witht he book if people pre-order, but that's the extent of it.

how long ago did you own a t-shirt company?

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 11:09 pm:   

20 years ago. I had to stay up one night writing "do it" T-shirts for Sears. I was the creative guy. I almost went nuts writing shit like "fishermen do it with long flexible rods" and "sailors do it good semenship." Everything I saw started looking like a T-shirt.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 11:10 pm:   

"sailors do it with good semenship."

ben peek
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 03:21 am:   

i always wanted to design shirts. if i had any graphic ability, i reckon i'd be right there. i do it now, just for kicks some time, but i've not got the visuals for it.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 05:39 am:   

I had no graphic ability, but I would come up with the basic visual idea and my brother-in-law, an artist, took my concepts and made them work.

A writer who aspires to be a T-shirt designer. That's a little backwards, man. ;)

ben peek
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 06:26 am:   

i like to use being a writer as a platform to the more respectable art forms, y'know?

:-)

anyhow, nah, i just the idea of people wearing shit i design. it was pretty cool when some folk bought my science fiction is dead t-shirt. after all, people wear shirts. never sure if people are reading the books...

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 07:19 am:   

I use to sell T-shirts at worldcons and such. I designed this Conan T-shit especially for the cons. It was a flesh-colored T, with a design of a muscular chest, a begemmed sword and various other barbaric signatures; we also had a women's version with a brass bra etc. Sales were exceptional. We would walk into a party and find 60% of the people in the room, many of them morbidly obese, wearing the barbarian shirts. It was a sight to see...and among my proudest moments. :-)

PM
Posted on Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 09:14 am:   

I like as a button/t-shirt, "I Peeked".

ben peek
Posted on Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 04:02 pm:   

i don't :-)

Mikal Trimm
Posted on Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 04:48 pm:   

"Been Peeking", maybe?

ben peek
Posted on Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 06:34 pm:   

mikal: it's just like high school all over again ;)

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 06:49 pm:   

It's just not a very cool high school. :-)

Robert Devereux
Posted on Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 07:08 pm:   

Tonight's Rockstar has each singer doing a cover and an original. All of the originals were better than the Supernova songs. I still don't think I'd get any of the CDs just based on those songs.

Gilby doesn't like Dilana's lyrics. I thought they alternated between generic and more interesting lines.

It seems like this episode they are setting up Dilana to not win. There's also been the rumor going around that the band has already decided they want Lukas to win.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 07:23 pm:   

Yeah, I figured that was coming. Too bad. But I'm looking forward to seeing it. I'd love to write songs for Dilana. She's got such a sinewy voice, there are things she could do I could never do as a vocalist--but I thought about doing 'em. :-)

ben peek
Posted on Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 07:26 pm:   

it never was a cool high school, man.

robert, i reckon they're purposefully setting up dilana as the underdog. it'll make the show more interesting, i think. i seem to remember them doing the same thing with JD in the first season--marty looked like the stronger contender going into the final episodes... and if you ask me, there's much similarity between that now.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 07:47 pm:   

Mine was cool. Seriously. It was too cool for me to stay in school. It was like a platinum hs. Loads of rich kids. I loved fucking with them.

That's true. But I think they might not do the same thing as last year. They call that creativity in Hollywood. :-)

Robert Devereux
Posted on Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 08:13 pm:   

Wait, I didn't think there was creativity in Hollywood. Isn't more likely that they'll remake last season rather than try anything new?

I've already forgotten Toby's song.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 08:23 pm:   

That's not really creative, Robert. ;)

ben peek
Posted on Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 08:40 pm:   

mine was a shitty public school. it looked like a prison, you know? when i finished i met all these kids who got all these perks. fucking wild the differences.

i still say it's dilana, but i'm cool with lukas, either way.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 08:55 pm:   

Mine was a public school too, it was just in a rich neighborhood and my mom taught there, so there I went instead of the redneck/black/human wastte dump. They all thought I was of a rival tribe and thus dangerous. I had a ball.

ben peek
Posted on Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 09:03 pm:   

heh. i just kept to myself. being at school meant i didn't have to have a job, and that was alright :-)

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 09:41 pm:   

Jesus. Ryan's original "Back of my Car" is the number one download.

America is lost.

ben peek
Posted on Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 09:59 pm:   

*polishes non-american birth certificate*

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 10:03 pm:   

I didn't mind Toby's stuff. Actually, I thought his stuff was the best of the bunch for the band. Subpar night for Dilana, understandably (Torn calf muscle). Lukas, I didn't dig that emo shit. Magni, boring. Storm, better than Lukas and Magni. Dilana seemed to address that she knows she's had it. She can't move.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 10:05 pm:   

Yeah, hang onto that, huh? :-)

ben peek
Posted on Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 10:11 pm:   

i don't want people mistaking me for a downloader of ryan star, y'know?

i got another five, six hours till the show appears.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 10:12 pm:   

Right.

The showed the rankings of the early vote. Looks bad for D.

ben peek
Posted on Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 10:17 pm:   

it'd be a shame to see her crumble so close. i find it hard to believe there could be such a big turn on her just because of the stuff she said about the others...

Rich Patterson
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 01:27 am:   

Haven’t yet seen the latest performance from Dilana but her disintegration doesn’t surprise me at all. These guys have been living in a fishbowl since day one. How do they buy their dope? Who are they fucking? There’s a lot of reality missing from these reality shows. Now the contest is down to the last few, the producers can easily manipulate the outcome.

Dilana did nothing worse than Lukas did in week one when he asked his peers who they thought were in the bottom three.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 03:58 am:   

Dilana sung okay, and these dogs who vote don't factor in a torn calf muscle. She had to be carried on-stage. Lukas went over the top--I just didn't dig it.

ben peek
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 05:04 am:   

i thought dilana did quite good, given that she was carried on stage. it wasn't her best performance by far, but if she'd remained seated, you wouldn't have known she was in pain. what i find interesting, however, is every time the camera cuts to her, they showher with a solemn, unhappy look on her face.

casting her in a certain light, perhaps?

anyhow: magni bored me, so did storm--though perhaps it was navarro. i liked lukas, but then i dig that emo stuff. toby was alright. i think tommy lee has a crush on him.

i reckon toby and storm are fucking, though :-)

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 05:13 am:   

I don't think so. Toby's dumb as a muffin and Storm has a brain. That might be an impediment.

"I dig that emo stuff..."

You ol' softy! :-)

Robert Devereux
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 05:41 am:   

Keep in mind Ryan's download was number one on MSN. MSN's music marketshare is tiny. Basically downloads don't mean anything unless they are iTunes, or to a lesser extent, eMusic.

I wasn't sure if Tommy liked Lukas's song. His reaction was asking the audience if they liked it. That struck me as meaning he didn't care for it, but didn't want to say so.

High school...mine was weird. It was technically a private school in rural Maine. However, the local towns decided it was cheaper to send students there than it was to build and staff a high school. So a private school that served as a public school for ten tiny towns. It was a weird mix of locals (some rednecks), Japanese students who were kicked out of all the schools in Japan, people from Burmuda, and a random selection of rich kids from around the world.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 06:23 am:   

I got home late and only caught Lukas and Toby. Hated Lukas horrorrock/emo cover of Bon Jovi, but liked the original. I kind of dug Toby a little and I think the band are liking him, too. Don't be surprised if he is a winner. I just can't imagine them fronted by a goth midget. My money is on Toby. Sorry I missed Dilana. I am secretly hoping that Dilana and Lukas are making it back at the house and Dilana gives birth to Horrorrock Hellspawn, who will front the Supernova Reunion Tour.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 06:35 am:   

That HS sounds interesting, Robert.

Yeah, I think Tommy has some problems with Lukas. I wonder if Dilana goes home tonight. Toby, I think, has jumped into the lead.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 06:55 am:   

The HS was interesting. It definitely gave us experience dealing with people from very different backgrounds (although all the boarding students had money, so the only experience dealing with poverty came from the locals). Still, it was a very small school (500 students).

I don't think Dilana will go home tonight, I'm still guessing Storm will, but they could surprise us.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 07:04 am:   

I'm thinking Magni, maybe. But it's probably Storm.

I attended jr high at a tiny rural school in Virginia, but we didn't have any Japanese students. Just yokels. It was too small to even field a football team, partly because kinds had to help out with the farm chores.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 07:06 am:   

Magni oughta get points off for that dumbass belt buckle.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 07:09 am:   

We fielded a football team, but it held the record in Maine for longest loosing streak (I believe it was more than 2 years). Some took time off for farm work, and school was closed for a day during the livestock fair.

I liked Magni's answer to why both performances were the same. Plus, can the band really criticize him for a lackluster stage show? Pot...meet kettle.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 07:26 am:   

Yeah, well...But they're Supernova! :-)

Rich Patterson
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 11:12 am:   

I thought Dilana was good. The Who song better than her last one with Gilby. Her original wasn’t great but it sounded real (and dark). Too literal for Gliby. Magni was easily the worst. His “Back in the USSR” sounded like karaoke. Between song stage patter (“Are we having fun?”) and original song proof he’s sure rock and roll = clichés. Super-boring. Storm was cool (she always is). Bowie suits her and her original was great. I couldn’t recognize too much Bon Jovi in Lukas’ cover so that was OK and his original was good. This week I think Toby’s gonna win. SN has gotta figure he’s a good enough singer and lower maintenance than Lukas or Dilana would be.

Did I hear Brooke say the house band will open for Supernova on tour with the singers that didn’t win? Wonder if they’ll put a chair on stage for Dave.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 11:18 am:   

I just had a thought. If the house band tours with them. then they and Dilana (assuming she doesn't win) are going to be blowing them off the stage every night.

Rich Patterson
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 12:13 pm:   

I bet half the house band is on stage every night for the Supernova set :-)

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 12:47 pm:   

Yeah, you're probably right.

Still, if they pick Toby, Dilana and Lukas blow them away.

Rich Patterson
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 12:53 pm:   

Maybe they'll just bring Ryan and Zayra :-) .

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 01:13 pm:   

Well, that'll work, ;)

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 02:31 pm:   

If they tour with Zayra, Lucius, I'm coming to Portland and we're going! Think it'll make you ETBH?

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 02:39 pm:   

Oh, yeah!! But you''re on. Are they playing Portland?

Robert Devereux
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 03:15 pm:   

What does ETBH stand for?

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 03:28 pm:   

That's ETBH (TM). :-)

It's just something that I have said for about thirty years, For instance, Ryan was very close to making me ETBH a number of times.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 04:59 pm:   

They most certainly are playing the Rose City.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 05:02 pm:   

Well, let me know. I take it that's next year sometime.

ben peek
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 05:05 pm:   

i thought magni's belt buckle almost made me ETBH :-)

also, what's with gilby's hassling of dilana's lyrics. shouldn't you have some sort of credibility before you hassle someone? i mean, if gilby was responsible for the supernova lyrics, hasn't he got a lot to answer for?

i still reckon it's dilana. i think either magni or storm will go home--probably storm, i think.

my hope is that lukas gets himself a decent emo band after. heh.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 05:35 pm:   

Jeez, don't anybody know how to play this here game?

Storm was singing in the wrong key. Dilana does a "punk rock song"...Cheap Trick and blows it big time...

I've gotta hit the road, but this is sounding like a multi-elimination night for sure.

And The Panic Channel is joining the tour! Oh boy!!!

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 05:42 pm:   

Sounds like Di is gone. Storm, too.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 05:58 pm:   

I guess my memory is getting short. Now that it's been jogged, I remember the ETBH comments about Ryan.

The appeal of Ryan makes me think of an article at Pop Matters about Bright Eyes. Basically the article talks about how sincerity seems to matter more than songwriting or performance. The people I talked to who liked Ryan loved how his performances were so raw and seemed sincere. They overlooked how much he sucked because of this. The same phenomenon seems to be at work with him
http://popmatters.com/music/features/050207-brighteyes.shtml

Another elimination show, another forgettable Supernova song. And the band reveals Panic Channel (Navarro's band) will be on tour with them. This is really gearing up to be a boring tour.

To add to Dave's comments, Lukas repeats Head Spin. Why didn't he pick a song he hadn't already sung?

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 06:14 pm:   

Yeah, but he wasn't really sincere, unless sincerity now equates to greed and desperation....

I liked Bright Eyes Desparecidos stuff....

the Lukas question: Don't tell me he, Dilana and Storm were the bottom three. Boy oh boy. Maybe he's hping that multiple exposure will make it a hit...

Robert Devereux
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 06:37 pm:   

Perhaps they equate his inconsistencies as emotion, or just don't understand the difference between real sincerity and the appearance of sincerity. If you only remember a few performances by him, he could seem sincere. But remembering his early shows makes me wonder...was he sincere but deluded, or desperate for attention and trying anything to get it?

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 07:10 pm:   

Well, I'm down for the latter. Delusional, yes. He had grotesquely bloated notion of his ability, but basically desperate. I thought the guy was transparent.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 08:56 pm:   

God, that was the worst supernova song yet! Can Gilbey actually play the guitar?

I turned the sound off when Toby did the encore. Once was enough for me.

Storm's gone. Bad time to sing a song for your mum.

Band seemed to like Dilana's Cheap Trick.

Note to Ben: I hope Lukas gets a band, but does more than emocore.

God, I hate Lukas' song, Headspin. Ugh.

I say, if they were knocking out two tonight, Dllana makes it through. Let's see if I'm right.

There aren't two going home.

ben peek
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 05:03 am:   

nah. they'll knock one out next wednesday, then two more on thursday.

i hope lukas does more than emocore, too. and i hope he doesn't fucking record headspin. though it's better than the supernova song. but, you know, i dig like his version of living on a prayer.

storm knew she was going. thought it might have been nice to give her the car...

i like bright eyes. youc an't even begin to compare him and ryan.

anyhow, i'm still backing dilana.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 05:12 am:   

I liked Bright Eyes first few, but after that....Blech!

I like storm. I've caught her in the clubs here and when she returns, I think I'll catch her some more.

Anything's Better Than Supernova....That should be the name of their album.

I like Dilana, but I don't think she'll make it. I think she'll make it to the final 3, but after that...I don't know.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 05:27 am:   

I'm not a fan of Bright Eyes. Talent-wise, he's far superior to Ryan, and I don't think there's similarity in music. I just thought the same sort of love of sincerity explains why people liked Ryan.

Storm's gone, but I think she lucked out. She gets to go back to doing solo work, but the band wants to help her with that. It sounds better than being in the band.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 05:32 am:   

I liked the album with the mirror on the front and the Disappeared. That's about it. After that the pop factor overwhelmed me.

I agree about Storm!

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 06:46 am:   

OK, now we're down to the serious contenders. I say that Magni goes next week, then Lukas, then Dilana.

This could be a Ruben Studdard/Clay Aiken sich, where Dilana ends up doing better than the winner, Toby...

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 07:23 am:   

Yeah, I sort of think you might be right. Gotta say, Toby's perfect for Supernova.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 07:24 am:   

Yeah, I sort of think you might be right. Gotta say, Toby's perfect for Supernova.
But Di does need help with her songwriting.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 07:41 am:   

Judging by the recent voting, Magni seems to be getting the most votes. I'm not sure if he'll be the first to go home. But I don't know how they handled the finale last year.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 07:55 am:   

On another music topic, I recently asked if anyone had heard Shearwater. I heard some of their early work and it really is quite a transformation. They went from alt-country to folk rock with some Talk Talk influences, and the singer jumped in quality, being one of the few compared to Jeff Buckley who can deliver. It's a big change in sound for a minor change in line-up (one of the two singers stopped singing and writing songs, so the other took over).

I enjoy bands that change style, but too few do it well.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 08:01 am:   

Huh. Well, another band to check out. I have to get myself an ipod.

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 08:21 am:   

Dilana could always follow the Courtney Love model and glom onto one or a series of talented musicians to "collaborate" with. I'm sure there are plenty who would trade their songwriting skills for a piece of Dilana's notoriety.

PM
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 10:17 am:   

Apple will be releasing new iPods next week (the 12th). At some point they'll release a model which has a touch pad type interface.

At any rate if one doesn't already have an iPod time to join the cultural revolution...:-)

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 10:25 am:   

I guess so. Damn. :-)

PM
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 10:44 am:   

This is one of those cases where I'd say goin' with the crowd was the right decision...

Robert Devereux
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 11:53 am:   

Yes, join us. Become a pod person.

Actually, I barely use my iPod now that I bring my laptop to work. However, I think my laptop addiction is far worse than my iPod addiction.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 12:11 pm:   

My laptop doesn;t have great sound quality, so....

ben peek
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 04:18 pm:   

i love my ipod. get a good pair of headphones to go with it, and it's just groove. now i can't remember what it's like not to carry twenty gig worth of music round with me on a daily basis...

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 04:44 pm:   

Do you credit your memory loss to brain damage from the twenty gigs of music or what?

ben peek
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 05:54 pm:   

no, i credit it to my advancin' age ;)

PM
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 06:32 pm:   

I peeked some time ago...

jk
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 07:53 pm:   

Isn't sound quality on Ipod not as good as cd, because it's a compressed file?
Wonder if the cd will still be around for awhile, or if people will be willing to download everything in the future?

ben peek
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 09:40 pm:   

i find the quality varies depending on what headphones you're wearing, and that's about it. cd, file, record... it's all what it comes out of that makes the difference to me.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 10:09 pm:   

I've got hearing loss from the bands I was in, so it don't make no nevermind to me. :-)

PM
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 10:44 pm:   

The choice is yours on the iPod. If you're ripping your own CDs then you can choose either compressed or uncompressed file formats.

But the larger limitation is going to be the earbuds. They won't reproduce sound as well as full sized speakers but hey I can't really seem to comfortably strap my speakers on my front and back.

Rich Patterson
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 11:37 pm:   

PM: How about when you run an IPod through full sized speakers? Is it good enough to replace your CD source... or best kept strictly personal?

Robert Devereux
Posted on Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 12:18 am:   

The quality of an iPod run through speakers depends entirely on how you encode the audio. I did some blind comparisons of audio encoding using studio monitor headphones. I used them because they allowed me to pick out things that a several hundred dollar set of speakers didn't.

MP3s always had something missing in the drums. Apple uses MP4 (called AAC) as the default encoding system. I had to guess to tell the difference between MP4 and CD. There are people who can tell the difference, but most seem to be recording professionals or complete audiophiles.

It's definitely not noticeable on earbud headphones, and most home stereo speakers won't show a difference. My experiment convinced me that downloading from the iTunes store wasn't a bad thing. Except on the best systems, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

ben peek
Posted on Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 04:59 am:   

i use my ipod on an old stero i've got. the cd changer is busted, but i've got it hooked to the soundcard on the computer for speakers. sound from the ipod running through it is just fine.

maybe there is a difference, but i've never noticed it. though i'm not a sound junkie by any means, so...

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 05:26 am:   

Nor am I a sound junkie, but this whole ipod thing is getting to feel too complex for a techo-illiterate like myself. .

Robert Devereux
Posted on Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 07:17 am:   

Apple's done a decent job of making the iPod easy. Step 1: Install iTunes. Step 2: Run iTunes and put a CD in. Step 3: Click the import button. Step 4: Hook up the iPod, and choose how and what to copy to it (this can be manual, but most choose automatic updates). Step 5: listen.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 08:05 am:   

Well, I'm going to Nicaragua end of this month for a couple of weeks. I won't have time to listen to any music down there, except what's playing in the cafes. But when I get back I guess I'll shop around for an ipod.

ben peek
Posted on Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 03:27 pm:   

yeah, i got to agree with robert, actually having an ipod is really simple. the most time consuming aspect of it is first loading your music on to it. but after that, it's pretty much click and go stuff.

everything else is sound junkie nazism :-)

PM
Posted on Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 04:33 pm:   

Rich, there's more than one way to use an iPod with full size speakers.

Assuming that you have a receiver that has a free input (the old receivers would have an AUX but it doesn't really matter which one as long as it has a left/right RCA connector.)

Then you could go to say a Radio Shack and buy a a cable that connects those left/right RCA connectors to the headphone jack on your iPod. This approach works for any portable device that has a headphone jack. The person at Radio Shack may scratch their head and try to gear you in another direction...this is the absolute cheapest approach.

Other approaches involve buying a new receiver that has iPod connectivity. Many of the major manufactures (except Sony who's pushing their own players) offer iPod connectivity options.

And then there are standalone devices which have their own speakers that one can jack in an iPod.

Rich Patterson
Posted on Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 05:44 pm:   

Thanks,

High quality portable gadgetry is cool. Always looking for ways to streamline the moving process.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 07:39 pm:   

What a crappy night of Rock Star. First, we're subjected to Ryan's original again. People could vote to bring anyone back for an encore, and they picked him.

Next, everybody performed the same original song as last week. It's the thirst time Lukas sang Headspin. At least this time was an acoustic version, so it wasn't the same thing again. Do they only have one original?

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 07:52 pm:   

Next year, Rockstar: Nirvana..... Huh?

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 09:47 pm:   

I thouht Dilana did a good thing with Roxanne, but otherwise, yeah, what Robert said....

ben peek
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 05:05 am:   

what's that saying? ETBH? i felt that when ryan came back on stage.

i thought dilana was good. i still say she'll win it. is tomorrow the last episode? what's the deal there?

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 06:26 am:   

Bye bye Magni. Tomorrow, The Iceman Goeth.

I agree. What's the deal with the same tunes over and over? Is it that they only have one original each, or are they desperate to make a hit, pounding these tunes into people's skulls, grinding them into submission by sheer force of repetition.

The Big Three were pretty solid. I'd say it's pick 'em between Dilana and Toby.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 07:49 am:   

Magni had the most stage time last night. He was in 3 of the 4 performances. He seems to come out ahead in votes. When all is done, I wouldn't be surprised to see him ahead of Lukas.

How did they do the final episode last year?

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 08:16 am:   

I think Tommy Lee signed Magni's death warrant with his comments last night.

Yeah. I tried to firget about Ryan. God, he's horrid.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 11:59 am:   

You're probably right about Tommy's comments. Magni won't be the person they choose. I'm not sure between Dilana and Toby. D should win, but I'm not sure if they'll choose her.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 12:07 pm:   

He is, after all, the hatchetman. By bye Magni. No, I'm not sure they'll chose dilana, either. It sure would help them.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 12:58 pm:   

Here's my scenario: Dave Navarro offers the runner-up lead singer duties with The Panic Channel. Everybody wins!

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 02:23 pm:   

NEW YORK (Billboard) - A California judge has ordered producers of the CBS reality show "Rock Star" to find a new name for its group Supernova, ruling that an established band already exists with that moniker.

The original Supernova, best known for contributing the song "Chewbacca" to the cult movie "Clerks," had previously filed for a preliminary injunction protecting its name.

The news comes at a particularly bad time for the TV show, which will name its winning vocalist Wednesday. The winner will promptly hit the studio with guitarist Gilby Clarke, bassist Jason Newsted and drummer Tommy Lee; the group is slated to begin a North American tour on New Year's Eve in Las Vegas.

As part of the judge's ruling, the CBS-spawned group is enjoined from using the Supernova name for performances and recordings.

"The ruling is a major victory for Supernova, especially since it has been announced on several occasions that our client's case had no merit," says Supernova attorney John Mizhir, Jr. "This is sweet justice. The order also proves that the law does not discriminate. The band members have worked hard for the past 17 years to establish the name Supernova and they are entitled to continue to perform without any other parties -- large or small -- infringing on their rights."

Costa Mesa, Calif.-based Supernova, founded in 1989 by Jodey Lawrence, Art Mitchell and David Collins, has released four albums.

also of interest:

http://tinyurl.com/ksqbz

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 02:40 pm:   

That's hilarious...
So what're gonna do tonight, say Rockstar: mmmmffblat?

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 02:43 pm:   

The Band Formerly Known As Supernova?

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 03:04 pm:   

I kinda do prefer mmmmffblat to Supernova though. :-)

John Joseph Adams
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 03:04 pm:   

I'm all for CBS getting bitch slapped, but I'm not sure I understand the fuss over the name. I've seen other bands have the same name as an existing band before, and I never heard about anyone getting sued over it.

There's a death metal band (now defunct) called Gandalf, and there's a new age band called Gandalf (and music shops like iTunes can't tell the difference between them).

Also, there's a death metal band called Dimension Zero, and some kind of alt-rock band called Dimension Zero. This one was more of a problem to me, as I'd heard the *wrong* Dimension Zero when I first was investigating them, and thought it was crap.

They might as well have just changed the name from Supernova to The Black Holes, since they're definitely going to suck.

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 03:08 pm:   

There's an old psych group called Gandalf as well. I wish the courts would do something more important and disallow EVERYONE from naming their band after someone/thing in the Lord of the Rings.

Which was the wrong Dimension Zero btw? I had a promo of the metal band. Sounded like another In Flames clone iirc.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 03:20 pm:   

The Mission UK used to just be The Mission until they were sued by a band already using that name in the US. P Diddy was recently sued and he can't go by the name Diddy in the UK because somebody had been using that name before him.

Generally people don't sue when one band is disbanded, or sometimes if they are in completely different countries. One example - nobody sued over Nirvana, even though the name had originally been used by a UK band in the 60s. Another - the prog rock band Golgotha had disbanded by the time the death metal band started using the name.

I'm definitely for bitch slapping CBS and the band. It only takes a few seconds to check AllMusic.com to see that Supernova has been releasing albums since 1995. Do some research before picking a band name. It doesn't take much work and saves a lot of hassle.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 03:26 pm:   

Are there any unused Tolkien names, or have all of them been used by bands by now? Was Ephel Duath the last unused one?

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 03:44 pm:   

I didn't even know Ephel Duath was from Tolkien. Seems like prog rock and metal bands are the worst offenders.

John Joseph Adams
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 04:04 pm:   

The alt-rock Dimension Zero was the wrong one. The one you heard, that you describe as an In Flames clone--well, there's a reason they sound so much like In Flames: it's a side project of a couple In Flames members, and Anders Frieden (the lead vocalist of In Flames) even produced their records (though he's not in the band). Both Dimension Zeroes claim to be active, far as I know (though the death metal one hasn't released anything in a while).

As for Tolkien-names, yeah I'm not too fond of that practice either. Gandalf especially is a bad one, at least for a metal band--not just because people do it all the time, but because Gandalf doesn't seem particularly, you know, *metal* to me. Sure, he's a bad ass, but he's an old man!

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 04:12 pm:   

I never heard of a band called Bombadillo. :-)

Robert Devereux
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 04:20 pm:   

Ephel Duath was one of the mountain ranges on Tolkien's maps. At least they picked an obscure Tolkien name, so only geeks like me realize it.

I've been wondering how long it will be before we get metal bands with Robert Jordan names.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 04:53 pm:   

Like Robert pointed out, bands that get caught infringing on another band's name usually get out of it by appending a little insignificant tag to the offending moniker.

Some examples:

Dinosaur, Jr.
City Thrills
Charlatans UK
London Suede

The wrench here is that they have been promoting themselves so heavily as Supernova.

Based on their originals so far, I propose Supernovacaine.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 05:26 pm:   

I'm surprised no one has used Big Bang....

John Joseph Adams
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 06:13 pm:   

"Ephel Duath was one of the mountain ranges on Tolkien's maps."

Is it? So's "Amon Amarth," apparently. And the name of a viking death metal band. I didn't realize the significance of their name, until someone pointed it out to me.

ben peek
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 07:09 pm:   

haha. i can't believe there was already a band called supernova. that's just got to be the shittiest band name ever.

it happens a lot, though. what's the new jack white band called? the raconteurs? over here they're called the saboteurs, because there was already a raconteur band.

Mikal Trimm
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 03:49 pm:   

Just call 'em 'Supervain' and get it over with...

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |