HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

music 7

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » music 7 « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 09:53 pm:   

By Robert Devereux on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 06:28 pm:  Edit

In the Q&A session, it was a bit amusing to hear Dilana try to sound modest while still saying she's better than the others. She did at least speak her mind instead of pulling punches. Dave was very unhappy about that, but I found it more refreshing.

Supernova's second song (with Toby on vocals) was even more boring than their first. And no dancing girls. At least Toby is equally as bland as the band was. With a band that boring on stage, they really need a singer who can entertain. Out of the remaining singers, there are a few who can entertain: Dilana, Lukas, Storm, Ryan. Three can entertain due to talent, while one entertains due to lack of talent.

While there was no encore this week, next week may be all encores. People are voting as to what song each person will have next week. The selection is based on three songs each has sung before, and one song that another singer did on the show. I voted for this "wild card" since I want to hear something a little different. I don't know why people can vote for Zayra's song, or the other person who was cut this week.
   By Lucius on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 06:35 pm:  Edit

That should be interesting. Gee, that's too bad Dave is unhappy. I'm looking forward to it, though not to Supernova...
   By Lucius on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 06:59 pm:  Edit

This doesn't have anything to do with Rockstar, but...what the hell. Survivor, which is a show I don't watch, commonly throws a group of people onto some desolate island or something like, divide them into teams and pits them against one another, each week one of them getting thrown off the show until there are two. Usually the teams are picked at random. This season, the teams will be picked on the basis of race -- in other words, people of color versus whites. That's really incredible. Sort of against the thrust of civilization. It ought to be a spirited competition.
   By Robert Devereux on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 07:13 pm:  Edit

That's incredible, and not in a good way.

Bringing it back to music, I always thought Survivor should strand the band Survivor on an island, and then vote members out of the band.
   By Mikal Trimm on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 07:14 pm:  Edit

I heard it was a team of blacks, a team of Hispanics, and a team of Asians...

Who knows?
   By Lucius on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 07:27 pm:  Edit

I just assumed whites vs others. Blacks, hispanics and asians is even worse, because they'll be competing for the pleasure of white folks.

Yeah, it's seriously ugly. Mark Brunet has lost his mind.

Not a bad idea about the band...
   By Lucius on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 08:57 pm:  Edit

What a shitty song! God, it was fucking horrible.

This was bag on Dilana night. Some of it doubtless deserved. But I think it was a set-up. Why? I don't know.

Note to Magni-never do a Hendrix song in a vocal competition if you don't rearrange the hell out of it.

Patrice did a good Middle of the Road, but she gone.

Toby and Stone Temple Pilots are a perfect marriage.
   By ben peek on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 09:41 pm:  Edit

man, that racial divided show sounds wrong. how could you honestly get that out?

fucked up.

i haven't seen rockstar, but i knew patrice was going, so what the hell. i look forward to more bad supernova. surprised it was toby, though.
   By Lucius on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 09:50 pm:  Edit

I'm not sure how they got it out, but it's going to air this fall. Should be interesting.

That supernova song is the worst, man. They've got to be the most boring band ever,

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Robert Devereux
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 05:29 am:   

Maybe the producers wanted to bag on Dilana so there will actually be a competition, instead of "Rockstar: Dilana and the runners-up."

I think the Survivor plan is working - by having such an offensive concept, they are getting publicity and people will watch. Would people really care about a new Season of Survivor without this?

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 06:51 am:   

Survivor's pretty popular, right? Isn't this their seventh or eighth season?

That's what I concluded about Dilana.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 06:57 am:   

Dave callled Dilana on the old thread a careerist media whore. Well, I assume, Dave, she's not without ambition. These things are edited. I think Robert's right.

As for Survivor....who the fuck knows. I think they should call it; Survivor: Racewar.

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 07:57 am:   

Lucius, I don't mean to call her that as much as question out loud whether there is an aspect of this to her that is coming out now. For all I know, she could have just had a rough week, or maybe Ryan at the last of the meusli or something. I'm still giving Dilana the benefit of the doubt. Not a Dilana hater.

I dunno, you're giving SN and Navarro an awful lot of credit for subtlety if you think they are baiting Dilana to make it a horse race. All things considered, I'm guessing the "Ryan at the last of the meusli" explanation is most likely.

Any of you guys in the TV biz can use this: how about a gameshow called RaceWar? Four teams of players (Black, White, Asian, Hispanic) with colorful gang nicknames battle with paintball guns and laser-tag AK 47s to take over several blocks of an urban backlot on which are hidden various fabulous prizes (washer-dryer combination! trip to Lake Tahoe!, full length chinchilla coat!), while dodging "police" armed with riot gear. Hosted by current or former gangsta rapper looking to branch into television (Ice T, Snoop, Master P, etc.) And special musical hip hop guest each week!

It's foolproof.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 08:24 am:   

I think the producers are "subtle," not Navarro et al.

Is that what Survivor: Racewar already has, minus a few bells and whistles? Plus, it has the added brio of having the "colored" races competing for the entertainment of the white, which gives it a nice Roman air.

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 10:18 am:   

They should have the first and second place teams in whatever challenge nominate members to fight each other in a giant pit for "immunity."

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 10:57 am:   

They may well do that. Too bad Reggie White's not alive--he could do commentary. "Those Japanese can turn a camera into a computer..."

Mikal Trimm
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 02:20 pm:   

This just in: Mark Burnett says it will be 4 teams: blacks, whites, Asians, and Hispanics, who will later merge as the show goes along.

And even he admits to being worried about the whole 'race' concept...

Luckily, I'm above watching that sort of mindless crap. (But dang, that magician sure got screwed on 'America's Got Talent'!)

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 02:24 pm:   

He's worried? I'm sure it's in the can by now.

Maybe they should have one tribe who're always squabbling: The Semites.

Mikal Trimm
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 03:12 pm:   

But where would the Anti-Semites be?

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 03:19 pm:   

Well, the Semites themselves take care of that.

Mikal Trimm
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 03:55 pm:   

Ahh, clever--the team works against itself!

Kinda like "Fight Club"...

ben peek
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 04:28 pm:   

i wonder if they ask them to build a tower? 'whoever can build it to god first wins!'

that'd cover all your bases, there.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 04:28 pm:   

a comment occurs, but I better not...

Of course we could always invite the Germans to ref Survivor.

Mikal Trimm
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 04:40 pm:   

Oh no you didn't!

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 04:58 pm:   

There you go, Ben. Are there Aussie reality shows?

ben peek
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 05:05 pm:   

yeah, man. we've got our own big brother and australian idol. they're pretty awful. plus, we've had a few others--one with a mole, and i think there was a survivor series once. the worse part is we get the australian ones and the american ones. blah.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 05:08 pm:   

Any with an aboriginal theme, something to rival Survivor: Racewar?

Robert Devereux
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 05:11 pm:   

I watched a documentary on Django Reinhardt - Djangomania. It was more about people playing gypsy jazz than about Django. We got treated to players in Seattle, Hawaii, Japan, and France. The ones in Seattle seemed to be rather out of touch with reality. One said that gypsies were cool, it would be like being a rap star. I doubt being a celebrity in one of the most popular forms of music is much like being an oppressed minority. One group is welcomed everywhere they go, the other group is shunned and forced out of town, even in modern Europe.

In France, they went to Django's place of birth for a festival devoted to him. Everyone was trying to cash in on him, some didn't even know his name, even though they were selling stuff at a festival for him. And of course, the town didn't want any actual gypsies around for the festival. They all had to camp way out of town.

ben peek
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 05:16 pm:   

nah, man. australian the tv is dedicated to keeping them black fellows off the tv. don't wanna mess up all them white folk on it, you know?

Mikal Trimm
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 05:18 pm:   

Jerry Jeff Walker named his son Django in respect.

Apropos to nothing...

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 05:37 pm:   

I got a lot of Billy Bang records (jazz violin) playing Django's music--they're awesome.

Too bad, Ben. They could have one recreating colonial times...or is that redundant?

ben peek
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 05:48 pm:   

there was one of those in britain, wasn't there?

anyhow, currently, i think, the government would rather recreate a magical fantasy land where criminals weren't dumped here and the aboriginals certainly weren't here before them. all the white people just woke up one day in this empty land, and it was their own, and no one ever pointed out the messy way it all began.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 06:05 pm:   

I've got a few Django CDs. I haven't gone too much into gypsy jazz beyond him. The film depressed me because so many people devoted themselves to recreating his music. Why not use his music as a starting point for your own music?

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 06:07 pm:   

Sounds like a novel....add a dark lord and a tower, you got the Great Australian Fantasy novel...

Yeah, there was one in England, but it doesn't have the potential of Australia with abos and etc.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 06:16 pm:   

Billy Bang is a monster violinist, a real master in his own right, and the Bang-Django things are really Billy riffing off basic Django melodies. Anyway, Django is remarkable, so is Billy....makes guys like jean-luc Ponty cry.

ben peek
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 06:29 pm:   

the great australian propaganda novel, more like it. heh. howard could put it in schools. think i'll skip writing that.

an australian colonial time thing would actually be pretty cool, the more i think about it. those early years are pretty interesting--you could have everyone trading in rum and getting drunk.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 07:08 pm:   

Yeah, that would be good...since you obviously reject my idea and wish to remain poor. :-)

ben peek
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 07:22 pm:   

you gotta stick with what you know, i figure. my food stamps are in the mail ;)

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 08:31 pm:   

Tell me about it!

ben peek
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 09:54 pm:   

so... that supernova song, that really blew. you guys weren't lying bout that. i'm surprised people aren't leaving.

i was kinda sorry to see patrice go, i think. she was did good performances when she got to pick her own stuff. but you know it was coming. next week magni if he ends there...

and i agree witht he earlier comments about the show trying to stop it from looking like the dilana rockstar special.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 10:08 pm:   

Wasn't that fucking amazing? It took 3 guys to write that?

I'd be happy to see magni go! But I can't wait for Ryan to leave--his head's gonna explode.

ben peek
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 10:11 pm:   

yeah, ryan is the real draw card for leaving. part of me hopes that dilana doesn't make it now. i want her and lukas to agree to leave, because the band isn't worthy of them.

i did see the bit where they were reading it on the net. we should get them to come here and partipate :-)

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 10:22 pm:   

:-)

Patrice would have liked the soccer mom stuff and the shit about her bro' the lame-ass director.

I doubt Lukas and Dilana agree on much. The others are jealous of D and it came out last night.

ben peek
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 10:37 pm:   

i thought she looked the least like a soccer mum last night that she has always looked. yes.

yeah, i last night (well, this arvo for me) kinda showed that everyone in the house thinks dilana has it wrapped up. which i think is pretty much the universal theory. i'm kinda hoping lukas will actually do his own thing--i like his voice. witht he right band, he might be worth hearing. but not the supernova band, no.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 10:49 pm:   

Supernova has zero creativity and imagination. They need d or l more than the reverse.

Lukas has a future.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 10:53 pm:   

It would have been better with VanHalen. That band had some creativity and a guitarist capable of some flash, Clark is essentially a lead rhythm guitarist.

ben peek
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 11:01 pm:   

it would be better with nearly anyone. none of them have ever really been involved with great music, but the whole supernova thing is just so obviously about the cash for them. maybe we're just seeing a band phone home everything and count the money.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 05:42 am:   

Can they swap Gilby for Dave? Dave is a bit more interesting.

Magni next week, then Toby or Storm. I think Ryan will be after them, but we can hope for him leaving sooner.

Ryan is really the most surprising contestant. I had most of them pegged from the first week, and they didn't do anything to change my opinion. But he started sounding like a generic singer/songwriter, moved into sounding like a bar band singer, and is ending like a mentally unbalanced person.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 06:57 am:   

Great analysis of Ryan's evolution -- that last note he hit in the song he did was the sound of him coming unglued The way he wets his lips and looks sideways anxiously reminds me of a puppy who's crapped somewhere in the house and is waiting to be found out.

Yeah, Navarro's way better on guitar.

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 12:56 pm:   

Just to hijack it back to music for a sec, I'm listening to the Rhino 2CD reissue of FAITH by the Cure...awesome. First disc has great LP plus all 27 minutes of CARNAGE VISORS cassette I had never heard before. Can't wait to get to the rarities disc. It's giving me major nostalgia.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 01:12 pm:   

I never really got into them. The singer creeped me out.

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 01:43 pm:   

Okay, now, here's a question a friend asked me just now. If you could give each SUPERNOVA finalist one song, from all the songs you know, for all the marbles, what would it be?

Magni: "More Than This" or "Love is the Drug", Roxy Music

Dilana: "Broken English," Marianne Faithful, or "I'll Be Your Mirror", Velvet Underground

Ryan: "Rock and Roll Suicide," David Bowie

Lukas: "Rocket" or "Today," Smashing Pumpkins

Toby: "Lust For Life," Iggy Pop

Lucius
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 02:01 pm:   

You left out Storm.

I like to see Dilana do something more energetic and think Magni would butcher Roxy,

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 02:13 pm:   

Storm: "Happy When It Rains" by Garbage

Mike McLatchey
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 02:14 pm:   

Let's see what they can do!

Magni: Henry Cow/Slapp Happy "War"

Dilana: anything by Diamanda Galas

Ryan: Ivor Cutler "Mud"

Lukas: Morbid Angel "Fall from Grace"

Toby: Tiny Tim "Tip-Toe Through the Tulips"

:D

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 02:17 pm:   

Magni: "The Drugs Don't Work" by the Verve

Dilana: well, I can't top Diamanda. Maybe "Wild Women With Steak Knives." :-)

Lucius
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 02:33 pm:   

Dilana: Another Piece of My Heart

Ryan: Cuts You Up by Peter Murphy

Toby: London Calling

Lukas: Like a Rolling Stone

Storm: Burning Angel

Magni: Manifesto by Roxy Music (let's see him do it)

Mikal Trimm
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 03:13 pm:   

Let me know when you guys decide to quit desecrating the memory of Roxy Music...

I bet none of them could touch Bill Murray's version of 'More Than This', even...heh.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 03:16 pm:   

Ryan: Mastodon "Trainwreck" (I'm sure it will live up to the title)

Storm: Anything by Atrox (if she can pull of those vocals, she really can sing anything).

Dilana: Susheela Raman "Manasuloni" (giver her a challenge of singing Indian music and sounding sexy)

Toby: Scott Walker "Cossacks Are" (another where if he can pull it off, he really deserves to win)

Magni: Ulver "Soeln gaaer bag uase need" (I want to hear him try the folk chanting and the black metal shrieks)

Lukas: Jeff Buckley "Corpus Christi Carol" (We all know he's good with rock, but can he do something really beautiful?)

ben peek
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 11:18 pm:   

in the aim of threadjacking, here's the link to my blog post of the bluebottle kiss gig i went to last night. they're out on the road promoting DOUBT SEEDS, which is real cool, if you haven't seent the talk further up:

http://benpeek.livejournal.com/469669.html

i got some of their other albums last night, including their first. listening to that now, which shows that a lot of change has gone on. heh.

ben peek
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 11:22 pm:   

oh, yeah. images in the blog post. hence the link. but the short: good live show. deserving of a better place to play.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 05:54 am:   

Thanks, Ben. This is the first band I've had a strong desire to see in a couple of years. Too bad about the bar. Reminds me of when the Young Gods played Seattle and got bumped from their original venue into the Vogue, which had a capacity of 150 people. Anyway, I really hope they come to the US....

ben peek
Posted on Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 03:57 pm:   

apparently they toured through the US on their last album, COME HERE. from all reports that album and the one before it have gotten american distribution, so hey, i figure you got a chance.

(COME HERE might be something for you, too, man. it's very much the album before DOUBT SEEDS, and has a lot to recommend on the first couple of spins.)

as for the bar, what can you do? at least parking was easy :-)

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 04:18 pm:   

Cool. Maybe I'll get a shot at them.

For sure, I'll give Come Here a try.

I'm accustomed to place where, if the parking's easy, your car is a target. Hope you've still got a car.

ben peek
Posted on Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 04:27 pm:   

it was on a university campus. so it had all those perks of university campus parking: really tiny slots, and parking quite safe. 'sides, i don't exactly drive the kind of car people steal for joy riding or selling.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 04:36 pm:   

It didn't take much of a car in Detroit. :-)

ben peek
Posted on Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 04:49 pm:   

heh. you get it back?

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 05:08 pm:   

nope. :-)

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 09:59 pm:   

Lukas kicked on Lithium. Magni did ok on I Alone. Ryan on Clocks was pitchy in his falsetto range and his yelling was terrible to hear. Storm did ok with Evanescence an Toby did a predictable Rebel Yell. The band, of course, loved it. I think they're setting Dilana up for something....

Dilana killed Mother Mother...maybe all is forgiven,

Bottom three -- Storm, Ryan, Lukas

Rich Patterson
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 01:25 am:   

Hey, I thought this show was on Tuesday evening... I must have missed a day somewhere :-) . Finally home and catching up on the elimination shows.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 03:05 am:   

Last night was Tuesday evening...I think.

What am I doing up? Good night.

ben peek
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 04:47 am:   

i dug lukas' lithium, and i actually thought toby was pretty cool on rebel yell. sorta pub rock stuff. it was predicable like magni and i alone, but it was solid. dilana was pretty cool, too, but the night really belonged to lukas' lithium.

in a fair world, either ryan or storm go. i want ryan, but it'll probably be storm.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 05:18 am:   

Yeah, I dug it too. I think storm is gone, unfairly. Ryan deserves to go. Dilana really puts on a show....

Robert Devereux
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 05:33 am:   

Ryan crawling on top of the piano was creepy. I generally think of that as something women do when trying to be sexy, but it usually fails. It really failed for him.

I liked Lukas, and I liked Storm on Bring Me to Life. I thought she sounded better than the original singer. I disagreed with Gilby's comment that he'd remember Jill's version, but not Storms. My thought was "Jill sang that? When was it?" Yeah, real memorable performance. I've come to like Storm, but I'd rather hear her without Supernova.

Dilana was great. She definitely should win. Then, after Supernova's one album, she'll be in a better spot to do her own music.

Brooke said they were two weeks away from deciding on the winner. That makes me thing two people will go home one of these weeks.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 06:54 am:   

This was the first week that nobody was bad. Everybody at least made a credible case for sticking around. Somebody who did well has to go.

I think all the Dilanadrama was just a red herring. As Tommy said, he's the king of mistakes. Do a bunch of rock and roll guys really care about these little behind-the-scenes dust-ups? I doubt it. I think Dilana should have stuck to her guns and not made with the "mea culpa" b.s.

Storm did well, I thought, but she's being set up as the next departure.

Here's the way I see it, bottom line. If Supernova is looking to draft the best athlete on the board: Dilana. If they are drafting to fill a need: Toby. I think Tommy sees a kindred hellraiser/horndog in him.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 08:15 am:   

I thought Ryan was awful. He was off-key, his screaming was pathetic.

I appreciated the way Magni tried to cool things out after Ryan tried to do the Mother Theresa thing with his head, He gets points for that.

I'm beginning to think they'll take Dilana -- this isn't a marriage, it's an affair, not intended to last forever.

Agreed on Jill --- Storm was way better.

Yeah, there's gonna be two evictions. Bye Ryan, By Storm...

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 08:34 am:   

None of Supernova has ever worked with a female singer before. They might have to change their sound, their style, their onstage presentation, their touring habits, ever so slightly if Dilana comes on board. I think they see Toby as One of the Lads, ready to trash hotel rooms and bed bimbos on Day One.

That's going to be the contest. Dilana is better, but is she better by a wide enough margin to make it worthwhile?

Robert Devereux
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 08:39 am:   

Sadly, Ryan will stick around. Too many fans like him for him to be in the bottom three this week. Rememebr how the audience was upset at Jason offering criticism of Ryan? He'll stick around this week, but the band won't pick him. They seem verbally dance by not saying he's bad, but it's clear they aren't fond of him.

Storm will go home this week, and if they add a second, I think Magni will go too.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 08:41 am:   

Better than Toby? Yeah. Toby's a bar band guy. That grabbing girls out of the audience is like stuff I did at the Primo Showbar. Dilana's a real showman. And I disagree with your basic premise--Dilana's voice cuts through the sludge that Supernova makes. The point's been made that, of them all, she's the one who sounds the most like Axl Rose.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 08:44 am:   

Yea, you're probably right. Magni and Storm.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 10:53 am:   

Hey, tix are on sale now! Think they'll play the Rose Garden?

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 11:15 am:   

Maybe, I don't know. I doubt I'll be attending if they do.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 12:08 pm:   

No DC date. :-(

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 12:12 pm:   

Awwww! :-)

Would you go see 'em if Toby won?

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 01:00 pm:   

No. Only Dilana interests me.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 01:09 pm:   

Right. Those were some nice high kicks she did while playing guitar.

Rich Patterson
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 01:59 pm:   

Didn't care for Lukas' Lithium... Wasn't bad, but Nirvana is a blind spot for me. I liked Magni best this week. Ryan appeals to music lovers who dig American movies. Storm was good (and Gilby has revealed himself as a twit). Toby doing Billy Idol proves he can't even spell Elvis (EVS?). And Dilana was pretty good.

Of the elimination shows I just watched, Jill's RESPECT hit me as the single most clueless moment on a show full of them. And Magni's Hendrix came close.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 02:25 pm:   

Well, a blind spot indeed. You ever see Nirvana? Pretty great. I thought Lukas and Dilana were the best. EVS means something to Toby--can't recall what. The Henrix thing shoukd have gotten Magni gone. I agree Storm was good, but the band...Supernova should wear grocery bags over their heads.

ben peek
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 04:41 pm:   

EVS meant whatever, i think.

the problem is, now i've heard the band and how much their shit tanks, i'm kinda up for them taking ryan and leaving those with vague taste to run free. but, like lucius said, it won't be more than one album.

(and hey, what's with all the images of supernova, and gilby's hair flicking in the wind like some supermodel thing? has anyone else noticed that?)

i think, in reasonable band, i might go watch toby if he tours local like. and is cheap enough. reckon he'd do a credible pub rock show.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 04:46 pm:   

I got dragged to see Flickerstick from Bands on the Run play an actual show and wanted to rip my head off after ten minutes.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 05:09 pm:   

Aw, Toby would be fun with a joint and a couple of pints.

ben peek
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 05:43 pm:   

exactly. ten, fifteen buck cover charge. all good for toby.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 05:49 pm:   

Make that a few pints. :-) Then I'm down.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 06:16 pm:   

Darn, no Pittsburgh date for Supernova. Of course, even if they had one, I'd skip it unless it was free. I can at least console myself in knowing a band I actually want to see plays here in a few weeks: Kayo Dot.

Tonight we get the third Supernova song...it's marginally better than the previous one.

I'll comment a bit more later, but for now I'll just say the bottom three was shocking this week. Or at least one of the bottom three was a shock.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 06:54 pm:   

Wow. Must be Dilana.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 08:53 pm:   

Lukas did a good job with the Supernova song. Toby as the encore....Pah!

Ryan sang Baba O'Reilly -- sucked. I'm beginning to hate his half-baked adenoidal growls. If that doesn't send him home...

Storm's vocal wasn't that great, but her showmanship made Ryan's look strained and amateurish...

Dilana may have made the wrong song choice.judging by the band's look, but I liked her Pyscho Killer...

Yea....Finally, it's Ryan.

Whew.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 08:55 pm:   

Ryan didn't bow out especially gracefully, did he....

ben peek
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 09:32 pm:   

i'm all keen to watch it now. ryan leaves! i hope he cries :-)

no, no, don't tell me. i want the surprise.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 09:38 pm:   

Mum's the word. :-)

Rich Patterson
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 10:34 pm:   

Nope, never saw Nirvana live (in the flesh). It's just their sound is so distinct and raw that whenever I hear a band cover Nirvana I feel like I'm in an elevator (as opposed to the Police who make me feel like I'm in an elevator all by themselves). Should have said my blind spot was Nirvana covers...

Ryan really thought he was a contender, didn't he.

Rich Patterson
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 11:07 pm:   

Supernova is so shit, INXS plays their theme music :-) . I thought that was going to be temporary, till SN recorded own, but truth is,,, they can't come up with anything as catchy as "are you ready for a new sensation"

I love the idea of Dilana singing "Piece of my Heart" . A perfect fit. That voice. From Texas. Emotional wreck.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 11:08 pm:   

Oh, okay....I thought you were on my boy Kurt. Negative Creep is my entrance music...

Yeah, Ryan was delusional. I think they kept him around for much the same reason they kept Zayra...

Rich Patterson
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 11:24 pm:   

Can't wait to see Ryan's reaction...

Robert Devereux
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 05:37 am:   

I think Lucius was right in his reading of Tommy. He didn't like Ryan and this was a good opportunity to let him go.

I can't believe Dilana was in the bottom three, and that Magni was the only person who wasn't in the bottom three at some point. I guess his fans voted a lot. I was disappointed that I couldn't vote. Every time I tried, the Web site gave me an error. I don't know if my voting would have pushed Dilana out of the bottom.

As for the performances, I liked Lukas's singing. Dana did a better Baba O'Riley. Storm was just OK.

ben peek
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 06:31 am:   

well, ryan did lack a certain amount of grace, didn't he?

'i'm going back to being a solo artist, and i'll see you guys later.'

you know, i do think tommy wanted to hatchet out ryan. he didn't even try to make a mystery out of it. just right in, see ya, goodbye.

dilana looked sad all through. lukas' supernova track sounded a lot more interesting than it had a right too cause of his voice. however, i think the show is trying to make an underdog out of dilana for the last couple of weeks, as they run to the final weeks.

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 06:33 am:   

The one smart thing about this show is that they let the musicians decide who go, not the pimply 14-year old girls who have taken over the voting. Now we're gonna see Dilana in the Bottom Three every week because she's so "mean."

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 06:42 am:   

Yeah, Magni...fluke city. He's a nice guy, he proved that during the Dlilana dust up.

Ryan was like a monkey who'd been taught a new trick, and he thought if he kept doing it, he'd get a banana. They kept saying how much he was growing....I think they were laughing up their sleeves the whole time.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 06:50 am:   

Dave, yeah, but she'll make it to the final 2.

And yeah. Tommy was real sad about gigging Ryan, was he? Good point about the underdog thing, Ben.

"You guys could have made great music for twenty years...."

I don't think that was ever a possibility.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 06:53 am:   

Did Ryan really think Supernova could make music for 20 years? I'll be surprised if they make two albums. I was hoping for a bit more drama with him leaving.

Lucius, that is a great comment about Ryan.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 07:00 am:   

SN will be dead in twenty years. I don't see Tommy Lee having Kieth Richard's durability.

Newstead may be dead already.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 11:09 am:   

Getting my first listen of Doubt Seeds now. :-)

ben peek
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 04:04 pm:   

you know, i think gilby's hair bothers me. maybe it's the only thing alive on him.

hope you dig DOUBT SEEDS, robert.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 04:11 pm:   

Actually, the nail on Gilbey's left toe has been certified as Fully Alive by the AMA. It grew two inches last year before being trimmed. Gilbey would e quite proud of it if his brain were alive.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 04:11 pm:   

Actually, the nail on Gilbey's left toe has been certified as Fully Alive by the AMA. It grew two inches last year before being trimmed. Gilbey would be quite proud of it if his brain were alive.

ben peek
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 04:18 pm:   

yeah, well, it's certainly not his brain that's recognising life ;)

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 04:21 pm:   

This is not to say that his hair, too, may be alive and, perhaps, sentient. Thus the phrase, he put his thinking cap (hair) on. ;)

ben peek
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 04:31 pm:   

no, i think he has a fan blow his hair round so he can flick it like a girl in BAYWATCH...

Robert Devereux
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 05:20 pm:   

Doubt Seeds is definitely good. I'm frequently enamored with new CDs and I never listen after a week or two. I think this will stick around past that. It's not something I would have come across on my own, so I'm glad you guys mentioned it.

The parts with the choir make me think of Sufjan Stevens, but without the feeling of listening to a high school history paper.

Rich Patterson
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 09:58 am:   

Just saw the elimination show.

I thought Lukas was best so far at fronting the band. Toby would make them into a good pub rock outfit, but Lukas’ Goth thing will give them wider appeal. Gilby looked really pissed off while he was playing. Zero stage interaction with Lukas, other than showing him his back at the end of the song. Wouldn’t surprise me if Lukas rearranged the song and rewrote some of the lyrics (they introduced the song as “It’s On”, but Lukas was singing “Let it Shine On”) and Gilby resents it.

Wow, Dilana did poorly. Psycho Killer was a disaster. Not only unsuitable, but she forgot half the words. Why wouldn’t she play to her strengths when she has the chance to pick her own tune? Maybe it would cost the show a couple bucks extra to get the rights to what she really wants?

Goodbye Ryan, see you on the charts… America’s Most Wanted?

Lucius
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 04:05 pm:   

Lukas had the best song so far....Maybe you're right about the song.

Yeah, see ya Ryan....not. :-)

My computer's been down all day.

Glad you like Doubt Seeds, Robt. Blame Ben.....He's used to it. :-)

Rich Patterson
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 07:16 pm:   

Dylan Back: World Goes On

Forget the DVD special edition and buy the single disc of the new Dylan. He could’ve called it ‘Love and Theft 2’. Good originals and a couple of cool blues covers (Rollin and Tumblin, Someday Baby).
The DVD only has two live songs - “Love Sick” from the Grammys and “Cold Irons Bound” from the M&A movie set - along w/ Michael Douglas lip-syncing “Things Have Changed” and the video for “Blood in My Eyes”. A rip-off at twice the price.

The headline above is from Robert Christgau’s ‘Under the Red Sky’ essay from 1990. Well guess what? He got shit canned from the Voice on Tuesday, the same day this new Dylan album came out. Not as tragic as the events that happened the day ‘Love and Theft’ came out for sure, but still… after 30 odd years at the Voice… the end of an era.

PM
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 08:10 pm:   

Saw the new Dylan for $9.99 at Best Buy. It's good to see CDs for $9.99 which is a fair price.

Maynard Ferguson died last week. He was a inspiration to many young musicians...

ben peek
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 09:36 pm:   

i am blamed for much, it is true ;)

however, i have to say, now that i've heard three other bluebottle kiss albums, DOUBT SEEDS remains the most accomplished in terms of everything coming together. their first album, FEAR OF GIRLS, is pretty ordinary, boring stuff--it was a three piece back then. sounds a touch like old silverchair.

PATIENT (the second or third, i'm not sure) is actually the start of jamie hutchings going into the direction he wants. it's really quite raw in places, but i dig it a lot. worth getting, i think. and COME ACROSS is the natural disk before DOUBT SEEDS, with some real nice high spots in it.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 11:50 am:   

Ben, you ever think of doing a button esp for the ladies.

I HATE BEN PEEK
(with a passion)

:-)

Robert Devereux
Posted on Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 04:40 pm:   

Besides Doubt Seeds, I've been listening to some more post-metal stuff. Isis has a new album due out soon. 've heard it, but I don't like it. Isis has a side project, Red Sparowes, that focuses on clean guitar, keyboards/samples, and more mellow soundscapes. The new Isis sounds like Red Sparowes crossed with Tool. There's maybe about 10 minutes of music that sounds like Isis on it. I'm sure the switch in sound, along with touring with Tool, will increase their fanbase, but they've lost me.

However, all is not lost. Where Isis left off, Cult of Luna picked up. Somewhere Along the Highway is a very good copy of Isis. It may even surpass Oceanic (and it definitely surpasses the new Isis). I need to check out their earlier CDs.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 04:56 pm:   

Cult of Luna, huh? That sounds interesting. I'll go find me some.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 05:54 pm:   

My first reaction to Cult of Luna was "It's good, but I'd prefer Isis." Hearing the new Isis made me realize they won't deliver what I like, I went back to CoL and liked them a lot more.

ben peek
Posted on Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 09:53 pm:   

nah, i'm not going to make a special badge for girls. you have to draw yourself a line for this stuff ;)

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 10:45 pm:   

Nah, you don't understand marketing . If I was Ben Peek I'd hit all the niches with varriants of the basic messages. Gay -- I think Ben Peek's fabulous, but I still hate him. Millworker -- I fucking hate that guy, whass his name? Yeah...Ben Peek. Maitre De -- I loathe Ben Peek (he tips poorly). I'd take it all the way. Romanians Hate Ben Peek, Egyptian's Hate Abu Ben Peek. Texans, midgets, librarians.....etc.

But then I used to own a T-shirt company, so I love shit like this.

ben peek
Posted on Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 10:56 pm:   

oh, okay. that sounds kind of cool, that. but i suspect that the market is kind of limited, and right now, i've just got them up on a cafepress website. we're giving away some witht he book if people pre-order, but that's the extent of it.

how long ago did you own a t-shirt company?

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 11:04 pm:   

20 years ago. I had to stay up one night writing "do it" T-shirts for Sears. I was the creative guy. I almost went nuts writing shit like "fishermen do it with long flexible rods" and "sailors do it good semenship." Everything I saw started looking like a T-shirt.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |