HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Pro ball 2006

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » Pro ball 2006 « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 04:43 pm:   

Beginning with the annual Browns downer LaCharles Bentley, the pro-bowl center, a free agent prize, out for the season. WIll it never end?

Josh Rountree
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 02:14 pm:   

Parcells has already made it known that Tony Romo is the backup QB for the Cowboys this year. Henson continues to struggle in practice and didn't exactly light up the scoreboard in NFL Europe. I'm officially done with waiting for Henson to lead us to the future. Bring on Romo.

Parcells seems to think Romo's a more than adequate backup and possibly good enough to take over when Drew retires. Romo is supposed to get a lot of playing time in preseason. Should be interesting. Unnamed Cowboy insders have been reported as saying that if Bledsoe goes down during the season, he'll want to rehab as quickly as possible, because Romo might just take his job.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 02:36 pm:   

I'm crossing myself and saying a prayer. :-)

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 08:35 pm:   

Now Cleveland's backup center has quit the team for personal reasons. Question answered. It will never end.

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 10:35 am:   

Hey, Lucius, if you're still curious about KY's Round Mound of Touchdown, Jared Lorenzen, rumor has it he is playing the second half against the Ravens tonight.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 11:19 am:   

Thanks, Dave. I am curious.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 08:19 pm:   

Watched the NE - Atlanta game this aft. Lawrence Maroney looked brilliant. 9 carries for 66 yards. Kid's gonna be a player.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 08:19 am:   

Well, lesses -- Mario Williams- 1 assisted tackle. Reggie Bush -- 6 carries for 59 yards, 2 receptions. How about that? And how about those Packers? I'm not sure which was worse, the D or the O. Probably the D, but by a hair. David Rivers looked real good. Farve looked like, Huh? Whuh... ?

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 08:20 am:   

Well, lessee -- Mario Williams- 1 assisted tackle. Reggie Bush -- 6 carries for 59 yards, 2 receptions. How about that? And how about those Packers? I'm not sure which was worse, the D or the O. Probably the D, but by a hair. David Rivers looked real good. Farve looked like, Huh? Whuh... ?

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 06:58 am:   

Just watched a little of the Skins game, but Jason Campbell had better pan out because Todd Collins looked worse than I've ever seen a pro QB look. If he's got to be old man Brunell's backup, Gibbsie's Godsquad is in deep doo doo.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 07:08 am:   

The skins looked brutal, though I have to admit the funniest thing I saw all weekend was Vince Young trying to play pro QB. Until he was injured Young was a giant slapstick act. I think Cambell can make it, but he's no Jay Cutler.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 07:33 am:   

I thought the telling thing about the Skins game was Andrea Kremer's post-game interview with Clinton Portis, who was clearly pissed that he was forced to play and separated his shoulder. The start of anti-Gibbs locker room dissent?

Congrats to yer boy Tony on the MNF gig. Is tonite his bow?

Lucius
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 07:42 am:   

Beginning? There's always been dissent since Gibbs came back, as with Arrington etc. But yeah, Portiss is pissed, deservedly so.

Tonight''s the night. Go, Tony....

Josh Rountree
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 11:04 am:   

I'll ignore the Young comment... ;)

Not sure if you saw the Cowboy game, but Romo was solid. Granted, it was preseason but he threw 11 straight completions and ended with a QB rating in the neighborhood of 120. I'm not ready to proclaim him the QB of the future, but I'm not quite as terrified of a Bledsoe broken leg as I was.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 11:20 am:   

Yeah, I saw it. He looked good (Romo, not Vince :-) ). I was astonished by the poor quality of Seattle's line play, esp. on offense. They look like they're going to miss Hutchinson.

Josh Rountree
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 07:21 am:   

Dallas' #3 receiver, Patrick Crayton, hurt his ankle in the game, but will hopefully be back within a week or so. Plus, Terry Glen is still nursing his foot blisters, so that left all three of the Boys top receivers out of practice on Monday. What appeared to be a position of strength is quickly becoming a position of need.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 01:14 pm:   

So what's the TO news? Still feel good about him?

Josh Rountree
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 02:46 pm:   

TO hasn't practiced in about a week and a half. He has a sore hamstring. My impression is that he could play if needed. If this was the regular season, it wouldn't hold him up. He's said all along that he and the team are just playing it safe so he'll be ready for the regular season.

That being said, it's starting to seem like Parcells is getting fed up with it. TO can practice, but he's not, and that type of thing gets under Bill's skin. He's played it cool all along, spouting the party line that the team is just being cautious. But yesterday he commented that he's going to need to see something from TO soon. He wants him on the field to develop timing with Bledsoe. It seems that the tension is building.

Hopefully TO will report to practice soon, but he doesn't seem too concerned. Now that the WR depth is growing so thin, the TO issue is getting more attention. We'll see what happens...

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 07:26 pm:   

I wonder if TO understands this is his last chance. I think Parcells cut him in a NY minute and fuck Jerry Jones' money. But I still have hope.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 06:38 am:   

I can't enjoy watching TO work his magic with the Cowboys. I still have a soft spot for the Tuna. If TO thinks he can get Parcells to play p***y, he's going to be out of a job in a hurry.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 07:14 am:   

Exactly. Parcells will ax him no problem. Who came up the name, the Tuna? Stroke of genius.

Anybody else think that Minnesota's snakebit. They already lost their 1st rounder for the season and now Koren Robinson eludes the cops in a high speed chase amd could be suspended for the year.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 08:31 am:   

I think the NYC tabloids coined "tuna" when Parcells was dieting to lose his paunch.

Minnesota is the most underachieving franchise in NFL history. Never have so many done so little with so much.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 09:22 am:   

And now they've got a coach to match.

Who's their back-up QB?

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 09:23 am:   

And yeah, I just wondered if it was Lupica.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 10:11 am:   

Another BC boy...

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 10:32 am:   

I wouldn't be proud of lupica. As a human being, he's a little yappy mutt.

Nicholas Paris
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 10:51 am:   

I always forget the actual story, but I know the tuna nickname has something to do with Charlie the Tuna (the starkist mascot). As for T.O. - Lucius, I hope you're right and he realizes this is his last chance in the NFL. As it is, I'm already anticipating how I'll be cheering for all those perfect passes Bledsoe throws while I conveniently overlook the guy actually making the catches... In other words, I'll be rooting for the Boys to win despite him. First time I've ever had a player on my team that I couldn't stand.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 11:07 am:   

Nicolas, I don't think the idiot does understand it and I'll be shocked if TO makes it to mid-season. Hope I'm wrong,

As for not liking a player, I never adjusted completely to Deion.

Josh Rountree
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 04:07 pm:   

TO is back on the practice field this PM.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 04:24 pm:   

Saw that. Crisis averted, for now...

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 07:35 am:   

Alonzo Epharin suspended for substance abuse. Browns down to their fourth string center.

Josh Rountree
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 12:31 pm:   

Geez...maybe I should give them a call. I'll play for the minimum.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 12:48 pm:   

What do you weigh? :-)

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 12:53 pm:   

Will they let me hike it sideways, touch football-style? I don't like guys' hands on my butt.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 01:29 pm:   

To have a player of yer ability, they'd probably let you flip it with a spatula. ;)

You weren't that way with Seagal.

Josh Rountree
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 06:36 pm:   

Anyone watching Sunday Night Football?

They interviewed Peter King at halftime and he says he believes the Cowboys are seriously considering handing over the starting QB job to Romo. He admits that it's just his opinion, but he's been to training camp and says that's the vibe he gets. I haven't heard this from any of the Cowboy beat reporters.

It'll be interesting to see how the rest of the pre season plays out.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 07:00 pm:   

Naw, I truly detest teal and the Manning Bros.

Peter King is an idiot.

Josh Rountree
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 08:04 am:   

I listened to the internet feed of Dallas radio this AM, and the beat guys are basically saying King's full of shit.

I wasn't overly interested in last night's game myself. Just jonesing for foo'ball.

Boys on MNF tonight!!

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 09:33 am:   

A Boys-Aints game with no TO and no Reggie Bush? Sounds like a good night to catch up on ZZZZZZZs.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 09:45 am:   

Uh, there's the defense, Dave.

Minz
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 05:46 pm:   

YEEEEHA. Glad Football's back. Yes, I've been swamped beyond ridiculous. Personal trip back to WI, and then sick as a dog. Barely have time to check on the latest foibles of the Keystone Kops--er, I mean the Packers. Again, Wahle should have been retained, even with the 10mil roster bonus. Would've been worth it.

That being said, at least they bounced back against Atlanta. And I'm realistic enough to know that it'll be up-and-down all year as the rookies learn the game. But if they continue to improve week by week, they're building for the future. And I still think that if we can stay ridiculously healthy, we could be in the mix at the end of the year, (though we're a marginal playoff team at best, but with Hutchinson gone, who's dominant in NFC anyway?) If Ahman Green can somehow revert to 2003 form and stay that way for the season, we'll be better than that. (Hey, a guy's gotta have hope)

No shock that Hodge showed more at beginning of camp than Hawk, but Hawk's learning a lot of d packages, and he's showing improvement. I was nervous at first, but now I think he's gonna be fine. And as I predicted, it certainly starting to look like Jennings is gonna be the best rookie WR in nfl this year. Kid keeps it up, he'll be our #2 on opening day. (Any of you fantasy geek morons out there, Greg Jennings for the Pack is going to be a great sleeper pick in late round)

Brett's gonna need his Vicodin to survive the beatings he'll take against great Ds (opening against Chicago is not a good thing, though if our D plays well, Chicago is beatable. D is great, but that's it.)

Lucius
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 06:10 pm:   

Fantasy geeks, stay away from Greg Jennings. :-)

"Chicago is beatable..."

Yeah, but not by Green Bay,

After watching the first half of Dallas-NO, I repeat, Peter King is an idiot.

Minz
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 06:30 pm:   

Um, duh. Peter King is a pretty entertaining writer, but he is absolutely terrible with his predictions. A guy could do pretty well betting against his picks. Probably well enough to live on the $$$

Lucius
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 07:05 pm:   

Oh yeah. If you're building for the future, you needed to cut that lame-ass hillbilly two years ago...

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 06:32 am:   

Yup. Peter King is a doofus. If he says something, do the opposite.

It was only New Orleans, but Dallas looked pretty damn good.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 06:49 am:   

Farve and the Pack put me in the mind of the Celtics of the late 80s; they fell in love with players and hung onto them too long, and ever since they haven't been a force in the NBA. If they'd drafted good young QB and gone with him a few years ago, they might be on the verge of real contention.

Josh Rountree
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 10:29 am:   

I'm less worried about Dallas' receiver depth.

I know it's just NO, and I know it was preseason, but they shredded the Saints. Even when they brought it Bush, it only made a marginal difference. Can't wait for the real season.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 11:51 am:   

Yeah, their backups looked pretty good. Those first six games should tell the story.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 02:38 pm:   

Apparently Curtis Benson ain't a real popular Bear--his teammates dimed him out. What's up with that?

Josh Rountree
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 12:54 pm:   

Parcell's said in his press conference today that Drew Henson will not be on the Cowboys' 2006 final roster.

Guess they're tired of waiting for something to happen with that dude.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 01:36 pm:   

Had to happen. Oh well.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 02:06 pm:   

Anybody need a back up?

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 02:18 pm:   

Everybody, just about. He might catch on somewhere.

Josh Rountree
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 03:40 pm:   

Yeah, somebody will sign him. Though the Boys haven't officially cut him yet.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 06:52 pm:   

Off the first half of tonight's game, I'd have to say withouut qualification that the Packers flat suck. They can't tackle (boy, can't they tackle!), they can't cover, and they can't stop the run. And that's just the defense. Five of Farve's first nine pass attempts could easily have been turnovers (two in fact were) and he was off target all night until it was 31-0. The running game didn't work. I think they're in line for another top draft pick and Brett's gonna go for 30 ints.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 08:28 pm:   

The Cowboy defense looks good. And on offense, who needs TO...

Kerry Woods getting hired at Tennessee means that VY is third string behind Volek. He, VY, looks lost and is going to be a real project. He doesn't seem to realize that there are linebackers faster than him in this league. Cutler and Lienerd, even Cleamons, are well ahead of him.

Josh Rountree
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 06:36 am:   

You can't stress enough that pre season means nothing.

But...

The Cowboys have scored on something like 80% of their drives and the defense isn't letting anything through. This could be a killer team.

Next up: the Vikes on Thursday night.

Josh Rountree
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 06:36 am:   

Oh, and I forgot to mention that it appears the Redskins doth suck.

Delightful.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 07:15 am:   

No worse than the Packers. Farve is definitely the funniest QB in the league. The line "Nobody but Brett Farve could do that" willl henceforth be delivered with a kneeslap and a guffaw...

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 08:38 am:   

Delightful indeed. And now Beltway Danny is gonna be too busy checking Tom Cruise's expense vouchers to do much with the team!

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 08:53 am:   

The Skins ain't dead yet, but they're moribund. And I'm sure Danny tickled pink to be with Tommy. Wait till the Scientologists get a'hold of him.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 12:44 pm:   

Scientology Day @ FedEx Field. I'm busting a gut already! :-)

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 12:54 pm:   

Yup. :-)

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 01:15 pm:   

Word is Jared Lorenzen will become the backup qb in NY. Lorenzen's a favorite of mine, the first three hundred pound qb, and has one of the best arms in football. I think, if he doesn't die on the vine, he may become a better qb than eli.

Josh Rountree
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 12:00 pm:   

Hope that Cowboy game last night was just a regional feed so you didn't have to see the ugliness.

The O-Line was awful, Bledsoe got knocked silly, and VJack missed two potential game winning field goals that were just beyond extra point range.

Grr.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 03:48 pm:   

I saw part of the replay -- it;ll get better. It better get better.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 04:33 pm:   

I'd like to point out that the Titans -- The Titans! -- handed the packers their ass today. TheTitans...My god.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 08:01 am:   

J-Lo looked good against the Pats. I'm partial to power football, so I like the idea of having a QB who can bash out a couple of straight ahead yards.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 08:07 am:   

J-lo is the only reason I might have to like the Jints. :-)

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 10:42 am:   

It would be nice if the Giants were the kind of team that didn't have to pass on third-and-two.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 05:18 am:   

Foo'ball! Pitt-Miami! It's here. Should be a good game, even without Big Ben. Another medocre year with a few highlights. The Paclk going two and twelve should be one of them. :-)

Anyway, Yippee!

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 08:22 am:   

Two words...Manning Bowl.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 08:53 am:   

One word....Yuck.

Byron Bailey
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 02:05 pm:   

Yeah!

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 02:44 pm:   

Yeah?

Byron Bailey
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 03:01 pm:   

Yeah!

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 03:13 pm:   

So?

Byron Bailey
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 03:45 pm:   

Explication of "Yeah!"

1. "Two words...Manning Bowl." Yeah! Only then can the experiment in exotic physics created by Archie be finished. Will the two Mannings, caught in each other's gravitational field, the same field that sucks all before it except the playoffs, finally suck at each other until they explode? Or perhaps they'll merely suck each other into a quiet oblivion. Either way, it's a win for me.

2. "One word....Yuck." Yeah! It most definitely is going to be a messy affair, at least at first.

"So?"

The Earth is saved from the Mannings at least for now or perhaps destroyed. Either way, it's finally over. Yeah!

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 03:47 pm:   

Oh.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 03:48 pm:   

Die Peyton Die...

Byron Bailey
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 03:53 pm:   

Yeah!

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 08:19 am:   

Don't hate on Eli because Peyton is a jughead! Remember, we're only one hit away from J-Lo!

Lucius
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 08:39 am:   

I hate on Eli because he looks like he's gonna cry every time something goes wrong. He's soft, Dave. The quality of the team can protect him during the season. But not in the playoffs.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 02:03 pm:   

Najeh Davenport signs with the Steelers. Think he's happy! I'M OUTTA GREEN BAY!

Nicholas Paris
Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 06:48 pm:   

Very troubling day for me as a Cowboys fan. For all the talk about how the offensive line is a "question mark," they gave Bledsoe plenty of time to throw throughout the first half and he still stank up the joint. He looks done. Yup, I'm already ready to jump off the bridge after one game. Go with Romo next week! And the other troubling thing is: Julius Jones just isn't any good. Again, I'm used to blaming the O-line for our troubles running the ball, but I think that's becoming misplaced. I really think J.J. just isn't any good.

No team can win with a bad QB and a bad RB (obviously) and I think that's what we have. I hope I'm wrong...

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 07:54 pm:   

Look on the bright side. Green Bay got shut out. Evil laughter.

I tell you what, I don't think it's as simple as that. I think the Cowboys are a bad team. That was a total team breakdown--the defense played awful as well. Romo or not, this is an 8-8 team. I've never bought into the hype, and I don't think some guy named for a rib joint's gonna prove to be the cure.

Nicholas Paris
Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 07:17 am:   

You're right Lucius, the defense didn't play very well, but I have every confidence they will be very good, even if they don't quite live up to the hype. I have no such confidence in Bledsoe or Julius Jones. Bledsoe was damn good for the first half of last season, then looked completely worn out the final 8 games. Week one looked like a carry-over from the second half of last season. I'm not ready to say they're a "bad" team, but I think their two key skill-position players very well may be. And there ain't no way of overcoming that.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 07:38 am:   

They're saying Bledsoe's injured, but hey, it don't matter.

We'll see, I guess. Me think they're an 8-8 team and have never thought otherwise.

I still can't believe they passed on Steven Jackson.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 07:59 am:   

To further my line of reasoning, I see 32 bad teams out there. None of these teams are sound, complete. Millennial football sucks.

Right, Chicken Minz?

Nicholas Paris
Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 09:51 am:   

"To further my line of reasoning, I see 32 bad teams out there. None of these teams are sound, complete. Millennial football sucks. "

Yup. Millenial baseball ain't so great either. Take a gander at the National League lately?

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 10:10 am:   

I can't do baseball. But I'm sure it's the same.

Go Packers! Score one (and one only) for the Farver.

I can hardly wait til next week after the New Orleans games when, win or lose, he will give his next impression of a Baptist preacher mouthing platitudes at a funeral.

Minz
Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 12:23 pm:   

I knew I had to show up here today, no matter how swamped I might be. I'm here for the wins, I'm here for the losses. They are my team--literally, of course. How many other NFL owners are showing up, eh, Lucius?

It's weird, in that Ahman Green looked good (yes, he got 40 yards in 4th Q, but he was doing better than 4 yards a pop before the 4Q, and finished with 20 carries and 110 yards), and the defense had its moments of break but don't bend--managed to hold Chicago to FG twice after a turnover in own red zone. Poppinga and Manuel are definitely the weak links at the moment on the D. And the playcalling--way too much zone. They should be putting Woodson and Harris on an island. It's what they're best suited to do, and all but one of the big passing plays against them were against zone. Painful to watch. (I will say this, FS Nick Collins, second year player, looked really, really good out there. In coverage. In run support. He's coming on.)

But the real problem, of course, is the two rookie guards with the first-year center. There will be growing pains. Luckily, we won't be facing too many teams with as good a front 7.

If McCarthy keeps 'em focused and keeps 'em learning, we'll be right there in the mediocre pack. No way a danger to be a quality playoff team, but this season's far from over. Don't get me wrong, a horrible harbinger, but we've still got 15 more to play. (And could lose them all. But I ain't throwin in the towel just yet.)

We are the youngest team in the NFL, with 27 first-year and rookie players on the roster (yep, that's right, more than half the team). It'll be a roller coaster all year long. I'll just be hoping for enough ups, particularly as the year wears on.

And Brett was actually fine yesterday--the two picks were when we were down 26-zip, and we were desperate. The line play (and their penalties) and Manuel's numerous breakdowns/miscommunications were our downfall. Okay, and the special teams. And Poppinga. And the gametime coaching/playcalling. And... Okay, it might be a loooong season. The most important thing is for the young players to develop and improve each week (I feel like I'm writing about a college team.)

And given the schedule, if the stars align, we could still finish 10-6 (look at our schedule!). Of course, we could easily finish 4-12. (6-10 to 8-8 is probably the right range)

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 12:48 pm:   

God, I love you, Minz. Just before the giant meterorote hits, you'll say, The Pack look good for next year.

I disagree. What you're gonna wind up with is a young team without a qb. Then you'll take four years to develop a new QB and the young players will go elsewhere and its back to Square 1. Maybe Farve comes back next year....that delays the process even longer. Three years ago, they should have said, Brett, we're going in a different direction and given him his freedom. That way, he might have won somewhere else. But no, they hung onto him, they followed the Celtic model, and SCREWED UP THEIR FRANCHISE. 6-10, 10-6, or my prediction, 4-12, that's what they've done. and you Packer fans are going to have to live with it.

Minz
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 10:27 am:   

WOWSERS: The San Francisco Chronicle reported on its Web site that disgruntled receiver Jerry Porter who was inactive for the 27-0 drugging the Raiders absorbed from the San Diego Chargers on Monday night, was seen laughing and pumping his fist on the sidelines when Raiders teammate Aaron Brooks was sacked for the seventh time.

And as for the Koren Robinson signing, all the eedjits saying it's a desperation move by the Packers are complete morons. The Packers were waiting until after Week One to sign him so that way they don't have to pay his entire salary if he's suspended by the league, cut, etc. (New CBA requires team to pay a vested vet his entire salary for the season if he's on the roster for week one.) Don't get me wrong, I don't know if it's a good idea or not, but it wasn't done out of desperate reaction to Sunday's blowout. It could easily blow up in their faces, but unless someone returned a kick for touchdown against the Bears, the Pack were going to sign him.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 12:15 pm:   

Hope GB has a clubhouse bartender. :-)

Naw, Koren's liable to mind his Ps and Qs for awhile.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 02:58 pm:   

Nice to see Aaron has as many friends in Oaktown as he has in New York.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 04:38 pm:   

At least!

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 09:05 am:   

Pretty much a do-or-die week for the pack. They don't win this one, they could suffer through the unthinkable, a winless season.

Likewise the Giants don't win, they could go 0-3...

Pretty weird.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 09:07 am:   

Pretty much a do-or-die week for the pack. They don't win this one, they could suffer through the unthinkable, a winless season.

Likewise the Giants don't win, they could go 0-3...

The three preseason top teams in the NFC North could have a combined record of 1-5 after this week.

Pretty weird.

Minz
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 07:20 am:   

Woo Hoo!!

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 08:36 am:   

Woo hoo?

Is that a Packer sound of joy for we scored, we scored? :-)

The skins are dead, dead, dead...

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 09:03 am:   

It's funny. That metal-on-metal sound you hear is the long knives being sharpened for Joe Gibbs. All that hooey about how the genius will right the ship once he gets his people in place no longer washes. Brunell was finished two seasons ago; the only reason Gibbs keeps him around is the God Squad connection. If they can't scare up some points vs. the Texans, even Riggo, Sonny and George Michael won't be able to save him.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 09:08 am:   

They oughta beat the Texans, I mean everyone else does (good draft, Houston! Way to go!).

How did George Michael get in there? Is he a redskin fan as well as a charismatic christian?

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 10:37 am:   

George Michael, the 200-year old host of "The Sports Machine," not the singer! Michael the broadcaster is as big a Deadskinz apologist as lives and (sort of) breathes.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 10:45 am:   

Oh, I didn't know. They don't show that any more.

I'm not a Giant fan, as you know, but I hope they crush the Seahags!

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 10:46 am:   

They don't show SM out here....

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 02:15 pm:   

Count your blessings.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 02:17 pm:   

That's one... :-)

Josh Rountree
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 06:48 am:   

I don't feel quite as awful now about the Boys losing to the Jags. Looks like that Jag defense is for real.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 07:13 am:   

It was for real last year; they were 12-4. And how bout that schedule. Dallas, Pitt, Indy? They're a legit threat to Indy this year,

Minz
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 06:34 am:   

You know it's gonna be a looong season when it's week three, and the hometown paper's feature story is about the guy who preps the footballs.

That being said, I'm taking the Pack against Detroit, just 'cuz. And we're still in the playoff hunt... (Yes, I intend to keep saying that right up until we're mathematically eliminated. Maybe we should start a pool on when that's going to happen.)

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 07:08 am:   

You've already been spiritually eliminated. This is a beautiful time for me. I don't care who wins the GB-Detroit game. Green Bay has become what they always deserve to be: Irrelevant.

Minz: Blather blither Pack blither

Lucius: What? DId you say something.

Minz: Blather cheerlead yell Pack burble upchuck

Lucius: Uh-huh. I'll have the Steak with Pesto Saunce and....

Minz: Blither Hoot Loopy-Statement Aaron Rodgers Blather

Lucius: ...a beer.

:-)

Minz
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 07:15 am:   

Mmmm... BEEER!

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 07:24 am:   

Doh!

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 05:25 pm:   

Can I have week 9 in your pool, when they're 0 - 8 (bye week, otherwise 0 - 9)?

JK

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 05:42 pm:   

I figure there'll be a lot of competition for that spot. :-)

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 05:37 am:   

Goooo Jags! Kiiiiiiilll Peyton!

Just warming up for the weekend. :-)

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 05:38 am:   

Anyone recall what that team they used to have up in Green Bay was called?

Byron Bailey
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 02:27 pm:   

Yeah, kill Peyton! But still lose to the Colts. (I'm still a Colt's Fan, just not a Manning fan. It's a real twisted situation...). :-(

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 02:32 pm:   

I'm afraid I don't share your enthusiasm for anythin owned by the Irsay family who sneaked the team out of town. As a Brown's fan, I'd be remiss if I didn't say again, Go Jags!

Byron Bailey
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 03:57 pm:   

I expect not but, hey, the Colts are a bit like the Catholic church. Get them when they're young, like they did in my case (sixth Grade way before Peyton came to the team), and you have them for life. Or maybe not. I'm trying to break away but it can be so hard, especially when everyone you know is a Colt's fan, too. Alas.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 03:59 pm:   

It can only get better once you move away...

Minz
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 10:13 am:   

Can't we just let this pro thread lie fallow for a while? :-)

Lucius
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 10:39 am:   

Well, it pretty much is...but no. :-)

William Lexner
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 12:50 pm:   

It has to be said:

I love that people are sleeping on the Patriots. One off year due to a plethora of injuries, and the dominant team of the decade is ignored. Sure, they haven't played their best ball yet -- and are still 2-0 -- but peaking before the playoffs, or at least the final stretch is a death knell in this league.

The Packers? Sorry Minz. Brett is going to ruin your team for the next 5 years, all because he won one measly super bowl ten years ago. Sa'shame.

The Browns? You guys have the worst luck on the planet, Lucius. I wish them the best, and fully expect it not to happen.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 01:06 pm:   

"The Packers? Sorry Minz. Brett is going to ruin your team for the next 5 years, all because he won one measly super bowl ten years ago. Sa'shame."

I been telling Minz that for years, but he just goes LA LALALA I'm not listening,

At least the Browns have a good coach now.

I don't think people are sleeping on the Pats. Most people I talk to expect them to win the division, and I'm sure they'll win a playoff game, maybe two. I just don't like 'em for the Super Bowl, but it's possible. I don't know how Andy Reid passed on Morony. Oh, well. Glad he did. I was talking to a friend in Nantucket and he said something that struck home to me. He's never warmed up to the Pats because theyre too damn corporate. They have no loyalty to their players. It works for them, but take a guy like Troy Brown, who's the consummate team guy, you know they're never gonna reward him. I think that sucks, and that's why, while I don't actively root against them, I just can't et excited when they do well. Part of it's my disrepect for Bellichek, who was not a great coach in Cleveland, just a paranoid freak.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 01:07 pm:   

"The Packers? Sorry Minz. Brett is going to ruin your team for the next 5 years, all because he won one measly super bowl ten years ago. Sa'shame."

I been telling Minz that for years, but he just goes LA LALALA I'm not listening,

At least the Browns have a good coach now.

I don't think people are sleeping on the Pats. Most people I talk to expect them to win the division, and I'm sure they'll win a playoff game, maybe two. I just don't like 'em for the Super Bowl, but it's possible. I don't know how Andy Reid passed on Morony. Oh, well. Glad he did. I was talking to a friend in Nantucket and he said something that struck home to me. He's never warmed up to the Pats because theyre too damn corporate. They have no loyalty to their players. It works for them, but take a guy like Troy Brown, who's the consummate team guy, you know they're never gonna reward him. I think that sucks, and that's why, while I don't actively root against them, I just can't get excited when they do well. Part of it's my disrepect for Bellichek, who was not a great coach in Cleveland, just a paranoid freak.

William Lexner
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 01:33 pm:   

I can totally understand the bitterness of a Browns fan. I think Belichick made a lot of mistakes in Cleveland, but I give the guy some credit for being capable of reassessing himself and making changes. We all make mistakes in life. I'm sorry that it came at the expense of the Browns.

The Patriots *are* a corporation. My loyalty is to the laundry, not the players. I get excited when they draft well or sign a great free agent, because he makes the laundry better.

Troy Brown makes decent money. He'll never get the windfall 40 million dollar contract, but he did sign a twelve million dollar deal just two years ago, in his declining years. (He's made almost 30 million dollars from the Patriots over his career.) That's just smart business, in my mind. You don't mortgage the future of a team for one player. Especially if that player is not a QB or a defensive lineman.

If there were not a salary cap, then I have no doubt capitalism would prevail and the Pats would open their pocketbooks. Kraft has shown the propensity to overspend in the past, and still make a hefty profit. If things were different, Brady would make 20 million a year, no doubt. (Kraft signed off on Bledsoe's $100 million+ contract not too long ago.)

As it stands, the Pats assign a value to a position and will not deviate too far from it, regardless of the player. This is a formula that has led to the most success of any team in the salary cap era, and while it may seem heartless and cheap, it works.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 01:47 pm:   

I said it worked, but for me the players are the game. I'm loyal to the Browns, but I understand why much of NE is lukewarm about the Pats. It's part of the reason I've been losing interest in the NFL--every year I watch fewer games. That and the generally sloppy quality of play.

William Lexner
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 10:36 pm:   

Much of NE? I think that's a bold and incorrect statement.

The only people I have ever met in NE who are lukewarm to the Pats are non-football fans or Connecticut fans who identify with NY teams.

I think your friends are very alone in their displeasure.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 03:50 am:   

It's not displeasure, it's just lukewarm, and I don't believe they're alone at all. Despite their three superbowls, you're the only person I've ever encountered who seems rabid about the Pats, and though I'm sure you're not alone, they don't engender anywhere near the fervor (both pro and con) that the Sox do. I've spent a good portion of my life in Mass, and I've never found there to be a deep vein of sentiment relating to the pats. Sure, the games are on in the bars, but when they are, people watch them with desultory interest compared to the way they watch the Sox and used to watch the Celts. I lived on Nantucket for a number of years and came to loathe the Sox and the Celts -- I felt surrounded by a twisted passion for these two teams and so reacted by nurturing a hatred of Kelly green and little sock feet, yet I never felt one way or the other about the Pats. They exist, they're a good team, but they don't arouse any hint of passion in me and truthfully, though I find their play admirable for the time, they don't much command my attention. It's my opinion that if Kraft pulled an Irsay or a Modell, there'd be an outcry, mainly inspired by the media, but the fire would go to embers rather quickly in the breast of the man on the street. Any sort of passion relating to the Pats is of millennial vintage. Friends of mine in the region were more genuinely attached to the '85 Pats than the latter day model. So yes, I stand by lukewarm as an assessment of the general feeling toward the Pats based on personal experience as well as the anecdotal. The corporate angle turns me off, and as it becomes more and more prevalent in the NFL, my interest in pro team sports has waned accordingly.

Minz
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 06:11 am:   

It certainly doesn't help a fan to connect with the team when they're repeatedly dumping the talented vets who help win championships, and you can't blame the team for making the tough decisions. Like Lucius says, it's a sign of the times and the watering down of the league.

But I'll still take the NFL over any other pro sport.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 08:13 am:   

More than team fighting Mixed Martial Arts....? Not me!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |