Green Eyes Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » Green Eyes « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mastadge
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 08:29 pm:   

Just wondering - was there ever a hardcover edition of Green Eyes?

Lucius
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 09:32 pm:   

Yeah, there was a Brit hardcover. You can find it from dealers, but it's pretty expensive. There was to be an American edition, a bells and whistles kind of thing with illos by JK Potter, but the person who was going to produce it went under financially.

Mike
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 04:35 am:   

Too bad. Got a 4w8w catalogue yesterday mentioning your new novel from them. Even though this thread is called _Green Eyes_, how about telling us so more about this forthcoming title, from which you've excerpted one of its poem/prayers elsewhere?

Mastadge
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 07:31 am:   

Is this the only hardcover edition?

cover art

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 07:45 am:   

Mike, HANDBOOK is about a guy named Wardlin Stuart who kills a man in a barfight and does ten years for manslaughter. While in prison, trying to devise ways to survive, he begins to think about prayer as "an immoderate act of physics" and concludes that generic prayers don't cut it -- for prayer to be effective, you have to concentrate your energies toward the creation of individualized prayer. He further concludes that if you ask for small things only, a prison visit from a girlfriend and such, you increase the chances of your prayer being answered. An instructor at the prison collects Wardlin's prayers into a book and submits them. In the meantime, Wardlin's correspondence with an Arizona woman leads to a prison marriage and he is paroled. Shortly thereafter the book, called A HANDBOOK OF AMERICAN PRAYER, is published and becomes a runaway hit with the human potential/pop psych audience. His book tour turns into a kind of secular evangelism. In the prayers, Wardlin uses a mysterious figure, the Lord of Loneliness, as a surrogate god -- an image only, he thinks -- and after his release he begins to see a man who resembles the figure as written hanging around. At the same time he comes into conflict with a TV evangelist, Monroe Treat, who feels threatened by his success and this leads to an attenutaed and eventually violent, surreal confrontation in a Mexican border town, one in which the Lord of Loneliness seems to play a part.

That's about the best I can do at this early hour.

That's

Mastadge
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 10:04 am:   

Hmm. Your message appears to have been truncated.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 10:10 am:   

Mastadge, yeah, that's it. Chatto and Windus. I think it goes on Amazon for about $85.00. As to the message, I think I forgot I typed that "That's."

Deborah
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 10:33 am:   

Concerning A Handbook of American Prayer...Lucius has been kind enough to let me have an early look at it and, as the poem/prayer excerpted above indicates, this is going to be an amazing book.

Wardlin is one of the most complex and interesting characters Lucius has written, in my humble opinion. The prayers are like nothing you've seen before. And, of course, the rest of the writing is breath-taking, too. Quite a story.

So, Lucius, um, when it's gonna be out?

:-)

Deborah

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 10:41 am:   

Hi, Deborah...November. Given the crops come in and the crick don't rise. Thanks for the good words. I'm still working on it, as you know. But it goes well.

Deborah
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 10:42 am:   

Oops. I lost track of which thread I was posting in...the prayer is excerpted in Lucius' "New Stuff" thread.

Deborah

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 04:13 pm:   

Lost track, Deborah? Vous? I refuse to believe it.

Hey, who's that litle yeller feller in yr. previous message?

God
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 04:31 pm:   

That's me.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 05:13 pm:   

Hey, Lord!!! Sorry about all the cussin' and offending you and such. I'll do better next time.

Deborah
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 06:59 pm:   

Yeah, Lucius, I'm afraid I do lose track sometimes, hell, sometimes I feel like I've lost the whole train...don't know where that little yeller feller came from, but I guess now we know who he is.

With Him hanging around we better watch what we say...

God
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 07:01 pm:   

Carry on.

Just pretend like I'm not here.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 07:16 pm:   

Hey, Deborah...

He's like most fellers -- he don't care what you say 'long as you make nice with him now and then.

As for losing that train, mmm, must be in some Dark Territory,

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 07:17 pm:   

I always do, Lord.

Deborah
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 07:43 pm:   

Yeah, most fellers that's the only thing you can do to make 'em stop talking...

You going to WisCon this year?

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 07:57 pm:   

Wiscon? Wouldn't miss it. They've invited me to be a human sacrifce this year. Can't turn that down. You?

Deborah
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 08:13 pm:   

Well, I was told to bring a big rubber band and a knife, something about a ceremony for one of the guests, but it looks like I won't be able to make it.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 09:52 pm:   

Gee, sounds like ye olde Wiscon fun! You should really go. I hear tell Andrea Dworkin's going to throw out the first balls.

Deborah
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 09:55 pm:   

Sorry -- no can do -- I have an important editor's training workshop at Mississippi State this weekend. Jackie Sherrill is going to teach us how to motivate writers.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 10:04 pm:   

Jackie...Andrea. Separated at birth?

MSu. Editor training. Kind of a cross between animal husbandry and Clarion, huh?

Mike
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 06:41 am:   

Don't mean to insert myself in this Lucius-Deborah back-and-forth (which I've enjoyed), just to thank you, Lucius, for the synopsis of HANDBOOK. I'll definitely be asking for a copy for my birthday.

By the way, if any editor out there wants to motivate *me*, simply solicit a story, offer a challenge in the form of an undeveloped premise (as Brian Hopkins did for his anthology 13 Horrors), and pay a decent and timely wage when I meet that challenge with exemplarly work. If I'm not engaged on another project, believe me, I'll seriously consider that editor's proposition. What other motivation does a writer need?

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 09:20 am:   

Hi, Mike....I'm glad you inserted yourself. Deborah and I tend to run on with these little jokes. And yeah, you're right about writerly motivation -- green is best. we were just funnin' about the other stuff.

Deborah
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 11:15 am:   

Hey, Mike, jump on in. Lucius and I watched too much of Can You Top This? in our formative years, apparently.

By the way, your motivational technique sounds easier than cathing a bull, too. Maybe I'll skip the MSU thing after all.

Deborah

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 12:15 pm:   

Deborah,

I hear tell Bobby Bowden's gonna try the same motivational technique as Sherril, 'cept'n he's gonna employ not a bull, but a Vegas bookmaker...He was gonna use Terry, but he figured that would beredundant.

Deborah
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 12:52 pm:   

You think Bobby'll know on his own which part to cut off, man? I think he'll need help.

Terry's are still in Opelika County somewhere from what I hear...

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 01:58 pm:   

Yeah, but he'll have old bubba fun lookin' around for what to slice.

Opelika. My god! My first college roomie was from there. He told hair riaing stories

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 07:13 am:   

Mastadge, as to Green Eyes -- I think there's going to be a limited ediion hardback next year with a good cover -- also I think I may add back in a longish scene I cut from the origiinal -- so you might want to wait for that. We're talking about a October 2004 book, probably.

Mastadge
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 07:56 am:   

Thanks, but -- too late. I found a well-priced copy of the old hardcover. No matter. If I like it, good. Then, if the nice edition is confirmed, I'll sell it and buy the new one.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 08:02 am:   

Well, I hope you enjoy it. This limited edition thing just came down last night, or I would have mentioned it earlier.

sean
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 11:46 am:   

Looking forward to the Green Eyes re-issue. What's the skinny on this? It's been a while since it was discussed, it seems.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 01:32 pm:   

Actually, there's been a delay with the publisher. Probably not til late in the year...

sean
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 08:09 am:   

Thanks Lucius. Can you say who the publisher is?

Lucius
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 11:59 am:   

That would be Wheatland Press, same who do Poly[phony.....

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register