HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Good Movies 39

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » Good Movies 39 « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rich P.
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 06:26 am:   

Yeah, any of those. Maybe not Valis. Flow My Tears is another one I like. The books he wrote while he was still enjoying his drugs. For sure a lot of his appeal is nostalgiaÖ the idea of Dick pumping out product for Ace double-sided novels is charming - at least to those of us who don't write :-) . I'm not a big enough fan that I care about where heís coming from a lot of the time. The books that purportedly reveal the essence of PKD (after Valis) are the ones I find least enjoyable.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 06:40 am:   

What came after Valis besides The Divine Invasion?

Rich P.
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 06:49 am:   

The Transmigration of Timothy Archer

MarcL
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 09:24 am:   

Martian Timeslip and Dr. Bloodmoney are probably my favorites along with Scanner. Ubik is not necessarily my favorite, but one of his better constructed books. Three Stigmata I dislike for tonal reasons, in spite of it being a classic; and High Castle is incontestably one of his best books, but still not one of my favorites.

Androids is one of his sloppiest books, and that's saying a lot. There are a lot of the lesser books that I enjoy a lot, warts and all, such as Clans of the Alphane Moon. But part of the charm is the slapdash.

Galactic Pot Healer is one that I can't finish. It starts great, and at some point I throw it across the room.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 09:35 am:   

I read Clans of the Alphane Moon, too. Wasn't that an Ace Double?

I didn't much like Man in the High Castle either,

I think I have Dr. Bloodmoney somewhere. I'll have to dig it up.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 10:22 am:   

Which was the one where everyone was strung out on fantasy drugs Chew C and Can D? Was that Three Stigmata? I enjoyed that one.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 10:27 am:   

Yup. Three Stigmata. That might be my favorite.

MarcL
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 11:49 am:   

I suspect that part of the Dick addiction stems from the sorts of books I read, and the way I read them, when I was a teenager. Among the huge mass of mostly sf/fantasy/horror that was basically all I read, Dick was a stand-out. People who had access and inclination to read a wider range of books (i.e., weren't totally stuck on sf) glommed onto different writers--Wm Burroughs, for instance. I'm not saying PKD is a better writer than anyone else. Moorcock wrote a sour piece a couple years ago, saying how many other finer writers there were, more deserving of Dick's audience. It was a sad, irrelevant article. I'd be happy if all the really fine old New Wave writers had a cult following the size of Dick's, but jeez...

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 12:12 pm:   

Yeah, see, I read Lord of the RIngs when I was a kid, but I didn't read any scifi till I was almost out of high school, and I'm still not well read in the genre.

Moorcock should complain! He's got a pretty large audience. That is sad.

Rich P.
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 12:40 pm:   

Haven't read 'Alphane Moon'. BTW 'Junkie' was originally an Ace Double (WILLIAM LEE - 1953) backed by MAURICE HELBRANT 'Narcotic Agent' - to provide a well-rounded package :-) .

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 12:57 pm:   

I think AM was an Ace Double. It's about, as I recall, pyschotics using their various capacities in appropriate ways, paranoids as security officers and so forth.

MarcL
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 01:25 pm:   

Moorcock was complaining "on behalf of" other neglected writers. I think this is the article:

http://books.guardian.co.uk/reviews/sciencefiction/0,6121,914290,00.html

There might have been some kind of follow-up to this from Moorcock. I seem to think there was more to it.

MarcL
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 01:48 pm:   

I like your comment, Lucius, that Dick had an engaging street hustler rap. I think that's true enough; that's partly what allowed and fuelled his prolificity. And his quicky books are like a quick impromptu game of Five Card Monte set up on the streetcorner or unfolding in the back of the bus...a shellgame. And it's not about depth, it's about his ability to switch those cards around (and palm a couple when he needs to) to fool the eye. There's an engaging level of natural technique there, and I enjoy the performance.

But would I have wanted the guy as a roommate?

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 01:48 pm:   

Well, that's not much of a piece, for some. Curious. it seems just an opportunity to say a few nays about Dick, more than humping the Brits, because the writers he mentions all have significant readerships. If he had said, buy Pamela Zoline books, he might have some cred.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 01:54 pm:   

That's what Dick always struck me as, a guy who had this really engaging spiel who was, all the while, walking beside you, making you laugh while you were trying to get rid of him, and he's checking out your wallet location or hustling you for a beer.

Roomies? Probably not. But I'd hang with him on a corner.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 02:06 pm:   

Because he'd probably be holding. :-)

MarcL
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 11:38 am:   

First glimpse of Nolan's adaptation of Priest's THE PRESTIGE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncttD0YhqPg

Visually, it's the same look (and era) as THE ILLUSIONIST. Two big stage magic movies appearing almost simultaneously...can the world handle it?

There were some entertaining battles of personalities between the big illusionists, great stories to explore, but I wonder why they're suddenly of interest.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 11:50 am:   

The Illusionist is supposed to be pretty bad, so maybe it's not that much competition.

Things work like that in Hollywood -- someone has an idea, and then everybody has it.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 01:31 pm:   

Christian Bale & Michael Caine with Nolan directing, is it The Prestige or Batman Begins 2?

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 01:36 pm:   

Batman vs the Prestige.

MarcL
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 03:08 pm:   

Priest's optimism on view here:

http://www.locusmag.com/2006/Issues/06Priest.html

MarcL
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 04:16 pm:   

From another interview:

Q: With The Prestige movie being shot, did you have creative input into the screenplay adaptation?

Priest: Well yes, if you count writing the novel, without which the film would never have been made. Apart from that, no. The draft I read a few years ago was by Jonathan Nolan (brother of the director, Christopher Nolan), and it struck me as being an expert variation on the novel. The version of the screenplay I read had a few passages of weak expository dialogue (which Iím certain would have been cleaned up during Chris Nolanís rewrites), and a rather chaotic ending (probably that too). Itís not the whole book ó all the modern-day stuff has been lost. A lot of events have been compressed, and some of the characters combined too, but the two essential elements of the novel ó obsessive secrecy and obsessive curiosity ó are still there. Iím looking forward to it.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 04:21 pm:   

Well, that's more optimistic.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 04:31 pm:   

I'd be cautiously optimistic. With a movie like this, which obviously has studio money behind it to pay the salaries of Bowie, Scarlet Johannsen, Bale, Caine, Serkis, et al. and another screenwriter credited, which likely means other screenwriters have had a go, who knows what you'll get. But, yeah, it sounds intriguing.

jk
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 07:26 pm:   

That might be good. I liked the book and think Nolan is a pretty good director. And Dame Bowie is playing Tesla, that might be funny. Too bad Scarlet Johannsen is in it though. I just don't get what the big deal is about her. And she's in everything lately. Ugh.
Speaking of Priest, I read an interview where he's talking about what a big influence John Fowles was on him. Have you seen The Magus, Lucius, based on Fowles book, starring Michael Caine? Late 60's movie, seems to have gotten horrible reviews.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 07:34 pm:   

Yeah, I saw it. Not very good. I barely can remember it. Wasn't Anthony Quinn in it?

jk
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 07:45 pm:   

Yeah, Quinn's in it. I just heard about it, never saw it listed anywhere. Never got a dvd release, as far as I know.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 08:29 pm:   

Good. :-)

Quinn was always attaching himself to literary properties and always ruining them. He did his best to buy 100 Years of Solitude, only quitting after Marquez said he'd gut himself first.

jk
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 09:13 pm:   

Heh heh. Yeah, I don't much care for him either.

jk
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 09:25 pm:   

Speaking of Philip K. Dick, I've read maybe 20 or so of his books, and like them all, pretty much, but I can see how literary critics and people like that would have a real problem with his stuff, i.e. structure, characterization, etc. Still, I think he's more of an "ideas" guy, kind of like David Lynch says he's an "ideas" guy, except Dick isn't as big a charlatan as Lynch. The only one I had a problem with is Lies, Inc. which is like two separate books stuck together. You are reading about a certain character going into a time tunnel or something, and then all of a sudden the character has completely changed what he's doing and who he is, and it's like, what the fuck? I had to go back and reread part of it because I thought I missed something, but no, it's just like that! No rhyme or reason to it, it's like two separate novels stuck together.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 09:25 pm:   

He made a couple of good movies. The Oxbow Incident for one. But basically he was a buffoon.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 09:31 pm:   

The critics love Dick's ass now.

jk
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 09:39 pm:   

Too bad he's not around to reap the financial rewards of Hollywood's interest in his stuff. I read that Axl Rose said his favorite book was A Scanner Darkly. (cringe) When does Axl have time to read? I thought he was busy buying rare Leatherface dolls for Buckethead to try to keep him in his washed-up band.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 09:45 pm:   

Buckethead's playing with Axl Rose?

jk
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 09:50 pm:   

Yeah, he was with him for the last 5 years or so. I don't think he's in the band anymore. He even played with them at that MTV awards from a few years ago when Guns was the big finale. Not sure who the guitarist is now, or even if they've made up and decided to play nice, and he's back in the band. Wonder if Tommy Stinson from the Replacements is still in Guns N Roses? Not like a care, I never liked them anyway, just funny that those guys ended up in that band.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 09:56 pm:   

Yeah, it's hilarious.

I used to kind of like B-head back in the 90s...

jk
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 10:07 pm:   

Lucius, have you seen Edison Force yet? What a cast...Morgan Freeman, Kevin Spacey...er, Justin Timberlake in his "acting" debut! I might rent it just to see how bad it is. The director David Burke hangs out in a geocities chat room I go to, which is basically just wannabe screenwriters, I have no idea why he's there. He's the kind of guy who doesn't send the elevator back down. And he's a "writer-director", so isn't looking for material. Anyway, it must be a real stinker if it went direct to video with a cast including Freeman and Spacey. Mayhap Timberlake is the reason?

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 10:13 pm:   

I haven't even heard of it. Morgan Freeman, but the last ten years he's done dog after dog. Spacy,,,about the same. I'm one of about twelve people who saw his Bobby Darin movie -- a sissy with a dream, you gotta love it. Timberlake, well, need I comment. Edison Force. Is it scifi?

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 10:14 pm:   

A geocities chatroom with a live director... Man, you're really slumming here. :-)

Rich
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 10:25 pm:   

jk: Maybe 'Lies, Inc' was an Ace Double made of two half novels :-) .

Lucius, did you ever meet D. Wollheim? I'm pretty sure I've seen a few of your stories in DAW year-end anthologies.

He's a mysterious character to me. The first to publish Burroughs and Dick while at the same time pumping out tons of crap. Then, he starts his own company and it becomes the top sci-fi house for a while. Just curious if he was a real conservative type or a beatnik or what.

Here's a website with listings and scans of Ace Doubles...

http://people.uncw.edu/smithms/ACE.html

jk
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 10:29 pm:   

It's about "a reporter who uncovers a hot story of lies and deception within the Edison police dept. and does everything in his power to unravel it." Sounds riveting huh? I forgot to mention LL Cool J is in it too.
As for the chat room, I just go in there and stir up the pot once in awhile. One of Burke's "friends" is a prick who co-wrote a script with Ed Sanchez who was one of the co-producers on Blair Witch, and the guy got his panties tied up in a knot when I reviewed the script and gave it low scores on a peer writer's website. He said I should check donedeal.com and scriptsales.com before I review scripts. I had no idea who Ed Sanchez was when I read it. Lol! And for all his hotshot contacts and co-writes with Ed Sanchez and this and that he still doesn't have any movie made and is basically just a wannabe like me.
Next time I see Burke in there I'm going to ask if it was his choice to put Timberlake in the movie, or if the studio made him do it. he he

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 10:31 pm:   

Apparently DAW was a real lefty, a commie even. I never was introduced to him, but I saw him checking out some panels I was on--he was interested in me, and I'm grateful for that. If you notice, the stories he picked were all political. A far cry from current best of years.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 10:35 pm:   

Woo...radical, jk. Quelle concept.

You oughta ask Burke if he got JT's autograph.

jk
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 10:44 pm:   

Too bad Seagal wasn't in it, that would have been a dream cast.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 10:48 pm:   

He's probably got a cameo...

:-)

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 06:43 am:   

I would pay $20 to see Seagal kick Justin Timbertoes' ass.

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 06:47 am:   

THE PRESTIGE took a long time to get to the screen because some Hollywood studio exec (I've blanked out his name) fell in love with the project and tried hard to get it made. He got Tom Cruise attached to the project, but he needed a second star to get it green-lighted and his intended second star backed out. Or something like that. The main thing I remember (and I heard all this from an assistant to the executive, a guy named Jeffers whose brother is an old friend) is that everyone said, "Oh, if this big schnurt can't get the film made, then it's probably impossible for anyone to get it made."

So it's no surprise that it takes Hollywood outsiders (basically) to make the movie. With the Nolans, I feel like we can at least expect the movie to be interesting.

Rich, you can probably find all the info you need on Wollheim in THE FUTURIANS by Damon Knight. And as it happens, the same issue of LOCUS with the interview with Chris Priest also has an interview with Wollheim's daughter, Betsy, that has some good insight into DAW.

Maybe in eighty years someone will write a novel about two dueling publishing houses---one run by Don + Elsie and the other by Lester and Judy-Lynn. Both publishers use magic, of course.

Rich
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 01:27 pm:   

Saw a good Danish thriller called MURK (2005). Canít remember if you've already mentioned this oneÖ

The disabled sister (Julie) of a journalist (Jacob), himself suffering from depression, kills herself on her wedding night. When Jacob finds evidence that the groom (Anker) has been married before, he searches him out for a little chat but Anker has left town and changed his number. Using his newspaper connections, Jacob locates Anker, to find him already engaged to another disabled woman. At this point Jacob's brain starts ticking over big time. Fucking dark.

Thanks Lucius and Gordon for information about D. Wollheim. B.ís comments in LOCUS just kind of reinforce the mystery. I like the story about Tolkien pissing him off :-) . Will look for the Knight book.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 01:56 pm:   

Unfortunately Murk is unavailable in this country...but thanks. I'd love to see it.

Rich
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 02:26 pm:   

The movie's good not great, but the heavy subject matter makes it creepier. Apparently, the lead actor (Nikolaj Lie Kaas) lost both parents to suicide.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 02:33 pm:   

I guess the director lost his sister to same. Makes them expert...

Any more thoughts on Gia....

Rich
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 02:39 pm:   

Still only Platform with English subs... I'll search beyond the neighborhood stores this weekend.

Rich
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 02:54 pm:   

A couple other movies I bought last night... THE SAVAGE INNOCENTS with Anthony Quinn and Peter O'Toole (never seen it,, the source for "The Mighty Quinn" maybe? - Nicholas Ray 1959), IN THE HEAT OF THE SUN a Chinese "coming of age" film about a group of pals in Beijing during the seventies (the store owner recommended it - An Jiang Wen 2004), and SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL (Godard). Only watched SYMPATHY and MURK so far.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 03:02 pm:   

Yup, I never heard it confirmed, but that had to be the source of The Mighty Quinn.

Gregg
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 04:48 pm:   

The Savage Innocents -- that's the one with Peter O'Toole dubbed with a Canadian sounding voice I think. It's a shock until you remember that Lawrence of Arabia was still a couple years in the future.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 05:37 pm:   

They shoulda dubbed Quinn...

It's not that great a movie, more of a curiosity.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 06:29 pm:   

Hey, Rich -- have you got the DVD of Murk? Does it have english subtitles? Is it a Chinese DVD? Danish?

Thanks...

Rich
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 07:47 pm:   

Yeah, 'Morke' is a DVD. The cover art is mostly Danish (it's a "Mesterlig Psykologisk Thriller") with a synopsis in Chinese on the back. Top quality artwork, i.e. the credits actually match the movie, nice paper. Nothing to indicate place of manufacture. 7 different language subs -- including English. 12 yuan instead of the usual 7. Still way too cheap to be imported.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 08:03 pm:   

Thanks, that'll help....

I appreciate it, Rich....

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 09:17 pm:   

How much is a yuan?

Rich
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 09:27 pm:   

8 yuan = $1.00 US

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 10:49 pm:   

Wow that's seriously cheap for a cd. Is there still a black market for currency there? Back in the day there was, I know.

Rich
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 12:01 am:   

Buying foreign currency without paperwork? Yes... money traders usually set up in the back of small retail stores near major banks and try to divert customers as they walk in. I've had guys hanging over my shoulder inside the bank while I was filling in forms. The bank looks the other way.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 05:48 am:   

When I was in Egypt, I knew this guy who did business with China in the money markets. Egypt was a fantastic deal for the expat. The official exchange rate was 45 piastres to a dollar (there were 100 piastres to an Egyptian pound), but on the street you got up to five pounds for the dollar (depending on the size of the bill and/or traveler's check). It got so that the government would demand tourists prove that they had exchanged a certain amt. of money through the banks, but the amt. was still so low, it hardly mattered. Anyway, this guy was a Chinese agent and was usually trying to collect Deutschmarks for the Chinese so they could make large purchases of farm equipment. This was pre-Deng, obviously.

Rich
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 08:21 am:   

So the Chinese agent would change U.S. dollars to Egyptian pounds and then to Deutschmarks. That's a sweet deal for the Chinese guy because the value of the Yuan is FIXED to the U.S. dollar. Thatís the big issue in U.S./China trade right now. No matter how low the value of the U.S. dollar sinks on the world money markets (good work GW), it doesn't jump-start the economy. Chinese imports will always undercut the price of U.S. goods by the same margin.

Since the exchange rate has been fixed for so long, there's not a lot of money to be made changing Yuan to USD or USD to Yuan. The reason a money trader might be potentially useful to me is because I can't legally convert more than 30% of my wages into dollars when I want to send money home. Also, I can get any other world currency in cash on short notice.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 08:54 am:   

"Since the exchange rate has been fixed for so long, there's not a lot of money to be made changing Yuan to USD or USD to Yuan..."

Too bad. It was fun to watch. In Tangiers there's a cafe called the Dancing Boy that serves as the unofficial center of the currency trading business, and I used to like to go there and watch the Moroccans smoking their waterpipes and making hand signal, which other men would translate and write on a big blackboard. It was a hell of an atmosphere.

Rich
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 09:08 am:   

Now that sounds cool... The Chinese guys are boring in comparison. The most old school they get is the odd abacus.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 09:25 am:   

The Dancing Boy is a trip. It's name has a literal foundation as a young boy dancing is the basic entertainment. Very Moroccan Decadent.

Rich
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 09:31 am:   

Nope, it was called "Loose Change". This movie was hardcore propaganda. The narrator didn't even attempt to sound unbiased. "This film shows direct connection between the attacks of September 11, 2001 and the United States government." Check out their websiteÖ

http://www.loosechange911.com/

Lucius
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 10:04 am:   

Flight 93 was I believe a recent, poorly attended theatrical release.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 10:48 am:   

You got that right. I think you can leave South America for last. Especially Chile and Argentina. They're fairly Yankee-friendly...

Anybody catch the S King antho series on TNT. Better actors, but the stories make MOH look good, IMO. First up was William Hurt playing a hitman who kills a toy manfufaturer and then is attacked by a phalanx of military toys. Like Small Soliders. Real original and it went on at least half an hour too long. Next was some dreck about a district in London that opened into a dimension of---whooo---evil. I turned it off after a quarter hour.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 01:02 pm:   

Deadwood - what's the opinion on Season 3? I finally started watching it and just didn't care about the first episode of the season. Do others like it? Perhaps I'm just need to take a break from it again.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 01:06 pm:   

It's pretty uninvolving for me, but then I haven't been a big fan since the first season.

Audition's tough to watch, but it's a quality film. Try Happiness of the Kakaturl's and Bird People of China.

MarcL
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 01:12 pm:   

I'm digging season 3 of Deadwood. Hearst's character has been entertaining. There's even been awesome stuff from Dorrity. Still my favorite show by far.

mike m
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 01:42 pm:   

I'm liking Season 3, but not quite as much as the first two, although last Sunday's episode with the eyeball implies the second half of the run ought to be more interesting.

Edward Morris
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 03:30 pm:   

Umm... AFA the comment that Joe Lansdale's stories would make good films... ummm... there's this movie called "Bubba Ho-Tep" that I can't believe no one mentioned. Also, he used to write for 'Batman: The Animated Series' if you can believe that.

'Bubba Ho-Tep' was sweet and respectful and really, really loopy. Best damn thing Bruce Campbell ever did, and one of Ossie Davis' last projects before he died.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 04:08 pm:   

It got a favorable review from me, which is posted on this board under Return of the King.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 04:15 pm:   

That's Return of the King, East Texas style.

S. Hamm
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 10:41 pm:   

Meant to drop in before and mention that, despite my general lack of enthusiasm for J-P Melville, I saw ARMY OF SHADOWS and it is indeed good stuff.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 11:09 pm:   

Cool. I kinda thought/hoped you might like that one.

Rich
Posted on Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 05:41 am:   

On rewatching MURK I realize I've misinterpreted the reason Jacob seeks out Anker after his sister's death. It's a death notice he finds amongst Anker's belongings, worded exactly like his sister's. (What the hell, I can't read Danish!). This, of course, changes everything. New rating: great, not good. Sorry.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 06:06 am:   

I got the guy at Xploited trying to get it. Thanks for the rec.

Rich P.
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 06:38 am:   

On the big scale of what's forbidden and what's not, I'm not sure where mailing DVDs to the US falls. Send me your address we'll do a trail run with MURK.

Now that I'm a REGISTERED MEMBER ( :-) ), you can click on my name for my email.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 06:44 am:   

Thanks, man....

I really appreciate it....

You registered member, you... :-)

Rich P.
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 06:58 am:   

"trial" run... fuckin' spell chequers...

Lucius
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 07:01 am:   

Caught a weird little horror movie couple of days ago. Reeker. Like most flicks it loses it toward the end, but for the first half it's got some orginal thought and the idea of a really bad smelling monster appeals. I never have been able to shake the idea, having hung around circuses and zoos a lot, that a bigass monster would really smell bad and this satifies that notion. Kids off to a desert rave....I can't really recommend it, but horrorheads will probably like it.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 07:06 am:   

trail...trial... I've made so many egregious typos on this board, people probably thing I'm post-literate.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 06:57 am:   

Kekexili: Mountain Patrol was good. It was well worth seeing.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 11:28 am:   

Picked up an interesting DVD today. Glastonbury. It's a history of the English music festival assembled from private footage, some shot by Nicholas Roeg, over a thirty year period. Looks cool.

Kelly Christopher Shaw
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 01:55 pm:   

Speaking of Roeg, just re-watched Don't Look Now, which overflows with atmosphere and mystery. Also, Donald Sutherland and Julie Christie, as a married couple grieving over a lost child, are as realistic and natural a married couple as I've seen on film.

Jeffrey Ford
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 09:34 pm:   

Lucius: Just stopped in to say Hi and to say -- great job on the F&SF reviews this month (loved the dinosaur themed intro ala blockbuster season). I ended up sending for the Chthulu silent and will eventually get the Russian Fantasies you covered.

And Kelly, since I'm here and I saw what you wrote, I want to tell you Don't Look Now is one of my favorites. Those two old ladies are creepy as all get out. I still don't get the ending, but it still weirds me out and seems to fit.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 10:30 pm:   

Kelly, Don't Look Now is very, very good. Maybe Roeg's best. Not long ago I saw Bad Timing, with Art Garfunkel, Teresa Russell, Harvey Kietel. It's a mess, kind of, but still very watchable for Russell's perfomance alone. At 21, she was not only beautiful, but capable of great stuff as an actress.

Jeff, I'm on vacation, out of the country. Glad you enjoyed the review. I'll be in touch when I return. I hope you like Chthulu.

Kelly Christopher Shaw
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 10:51 am:   

Trailers can be deceiving, but this latest trailer for Aronofsky's new film, The Fountain, suggests a masterpiece.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/thefountain/trailer1/

MarcL
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 11:41 am:   

Looks like WHAT DREAMS MAY COME crossed with THE CONSTANT GARDENER. I hate to judge by trailers, but this makes me faintly queasy in the same way as the trailer for LADY IN THE WATER.

The perfect symmetry of every grandiose New Age greeting-card shot makes me nervous.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 12:24 pm:   

The graphic novel was pretty good, much better than the The Constant Gardener. I'm still looking forward to it.

Kelly Christopher Shaw
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 12:48 pm:   

I have faith that Aronofsky's visuals will complement his story. To me, his images recall the last scene of The Quiet Earth more than any greeting card. And, early word is that the film's clocking in at only 1hr 40min, which I think bodes well for the story to be tight and focused.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 01:55 pm:   

Regal Cinemas is sponsoring a sneak preview of The Descent this week. I'm excited. From the commercials it looks a lot more visually striking than I thought it would.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 02:15 pm:   

Re: Aronofsky. I'm a little nervous too and I didn't like the graphic novel, but what gives me hope.is that this was originally scheduled to be a big budget film and was scaled back to low budget. I'm a fan of giving good directors small budgets and letting them work,

BTW, it's nice to be on a computer that allows me to see the trailer.

Dave, The Descent IS visually striking. Think you're going to like it.

MarcL
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 03:53 pm:   

Anyone else watching Steve Coogan's new seven-part TV series, Saxondale? Youtube has been a reliable source of low-res versions (episode 5 is just now showing up in three 9-minute chunks).

It's like he took Alan Partridge the next step forward, into remorse. It took me a couple episodes to get into the character of Tommy Saxondale, but I'm going to enjoy going back to watch the first ones.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 07:45 am:   

Here's an interesting question I've been wanting to ask: What is your favorite guilty pleasure movie?

By that, I mean a movie that, by rights, you know you should hate, but which gives you an undeniable jolt of pleasure...

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 12:16 pm:   

Jon Hughes Planes Trains and Automobiles

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 01:19 pm:   

Larry Charles, Masked and Anonymous (2003)

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 01:24 pm:   

Is that that Dylan movie?

MarcL
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 02:47 pm:   

Heh, good Hughes pick...personally, I'd probably go with Uncle Buck.

Are we talking about this because Road House has had a Special Edition release to celebrate the issuance of Road House 2 direct to DVD?

Robert Devereux
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 03:58 pm:   

I'd go with Cry Baby for guilty pleasures. I hate musicals, the plot is inane, and the acting is purposely bad. Yet I actually enjoy the movie.

MarcL
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 04:54 pm:   

I'll join you on Cry Baby. I always feel guilty when I say I love that movie. I can't even honestly say I hate musicals, because I continually find ones like this that somehow redeem the form.

Here's one I don't feel guilty about at all:

http://www.silencethemusical.com/

PM
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 08:28 pm:   

Domino. Even as a standard def disc it is most sweet soundin' on the Toshiba HD DVD player.

Nathan Ballingrud
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 09:53 pm:   

Has anyone here seen Family Portraits? It's a collection of three thematically related short films by Douglas Buck. They deal with violence (although only the first short has on-screen violence), repression, and family dissolution. The first film, Cutting Moments, is pretty rough, and shows its miniscule budget; nevertheless, it packs a powerful emotional punch. The second is better, and the last -- Prologue -- is a knockout. Taken together, one of the most intelligent and effective horror films I've seen in some time.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 09:58 pm:   

I saw Cutting Moments at ICFA a few years ago, courtesy of Doug Winter and thought it was amazing. It affected me so strongly that afterwards (while watching the introductory titles to Peter Jackson's Forgotten Silver,, which was on immediately after, I almost passed out and had to leave in order to put cold compresses on my forehead.

I haven't seen the other two--are they as disturbing?

Nathan Ballingrud
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 10:08 pm:   

I'd say yes, but in different ways. They are increasingly nuanced and controlled. The third one has scenes of outright beauty (although I think the shot of the wife coming out of the bathroom for the second time, in Cutting Moments, was also very beautiful, in its own awful way); the closing image is amazing. If you liked the first one, you really should spring for the DVD and see the others. You'll be glad you did.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 10:19 pm:   

Thanks for the recommendation, Nathan.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 06:10 am:   

Yeah, M&A is the Dylan movie. A special edition of Road House? Where? Where?

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 06:28 am:   

New thread. Browser fatigue.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |