for Pitt fans -- Ironhead has died Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » for Pitt fans -- Ironhead has died « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 07:34 pm:   

I just heard on the news that Craig "Ironhead" Heyward has died. I think they said it was a brain aneurysm. (Didn't he have a brain tumor removed a few years ago?)

I thought I'd post it here because I think I've seen Deb Layne posting here about Pitt.

Heyward's death is a shock to me because we're the same age. Heyward is from northern New Jersey and when I was in high school, the local newspapers gave him a lot of coverage every week.

I wonder what ever happened to the guy he pushed out the window when they were in college. (Wasn't the guy his roommate? And was the guy on crutches at the time, or am I misremembering?)

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 07:40 pm:   

You're the same age, Gordon, but you never got pounded on like Ironhead. Anyway, thanks...

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 07:46 pm:   

Ah, but if he'd had me blocking for him, he would have taken even more of a pounding. I think our quarterback set a state record for most concussions received in a season.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 07:49 pm:   

Ironhead weighed enough to block for himself... :-)

Deborah
Posted on Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 08:05 pm:   

Gordon, it was a shock to me, too, because he played at Pitt when I was there and I sat beside him at a recruiting banquet once. Yeah, 39 years old.

In the incident you're thinking of he threw someone out the front doors of one of the dorms -- and the guy was on crutches at the time.

He'd apparently had this brain cancer for the past seven years, and had surgery twice. It was growing so fast that it was inoperable, but the doctors thought he had a few more years.

Andrew Fox
Posted on Sunday, May 28, 2006 - 06:53 am:   

That's a real shame about Ironhead. I'd been hearing on our local sports radio that he'd been suffering with brain cancer; his old teammate, Bobby Hebert, who is now a radio commentator on WWL, had been visiting Craig and his family regularly and giving the listeners updates. Craig certainly added a lot of magic to the Saints' glory years, such as they were. He'll be missed.

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Sunday, May 28, 2006 - 12:04 pm:   

Ah, I thought I'd remembered that the guy was on crutches when Ironhead assaulted him. But my memory was that he pushed him out a first-floor window or something. Thanks for setting me straight, Deb.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register