New Pro thread. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » New Pro thread. « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 07:32 am:   

Hi, everybody. The Saints organization announced yesterday that they have broken their previous record for season ticket sales, set in 2003 (and it's only May). So hope springs eternal down here in Post-Katrina Land, as it always has (and probably always will -- it's one of the things that makes N'Awlins N'Awlins). Heck, even I'm kinda excited about the upcoming season, what with the new coaching staff, Drew Brees, and Reggie Bush (although I sure hope that MRI doesn't show anything nasty). I heard an interview on the radio this morning on the drive into work with Arnie Fielkow, former business manager with the Saints who was s**t-canned by owner Benson for advocating too strenuously that the Saints remain in New Orleans after the catastrophe. Arnie is running for Council-At-Large (the election is this Saturday). What a gentleman. When asked about the Saints' news regarding ticket sales, he had nothing but compliments and encouragement for his old organization, saying this just goes to show that the Saints have some of the most loyal fans in all of professional sports. I really, really like the guy (I've met him a few times at debates and at my local coffee shop). I'd love to see him on our City Council.
   By Lucius on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 08:40 am:  Edit

Well. y'all should be better this year, but I'd hold off on getting those Super Bowl Tickets. The NFC south will be tough. Carolina, TB, and Atlanta will all be better, especially Carolina--adding Keyshawn is going to be huge. But best of luck....
   By Dave G. on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 08:48 am:  Edit

The Wash. Post had a pretty disturbing feature story yesterday comparing rebuilding efforts in the Lakeview (white) and Ninth Ward (black) sections of N.O. The thrust of the article was that the folks supervising the rebuilding want the rich whites to come back and the poor blacks to move on. Very unsettling stuff.
   By Andrew Fox on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 08:14 am:  Edit

Dave, I personally think such stories by journalists outside the New Orleans area are hugely overblown and speculative. The folks who have drawn up the rebuilding plans for the city and the state are drawn from both the black and white business and academic classes. The leader of the state's rebuilding commission, for example, is the longtime president of Xavier University, the largest and most successful historically black Catholic college in the South, located in Gert Town, one of the neighborhoods hit hardest by the flooding (a working class black neighborhood).

I think that right now, prior to the Louisiana Road Home Program monies flowing into the city (grants of up to $150,000 per homeowner, meant to cover rebuilding or relocation costs not paid for by insurance or FEMA monies), the big difference observers are seeing in the levels of rebuilding activities between white Lakeview and black Lower Ninth Ward is due to the much greater levels of average household resources and insurance coverage levels in the former neighborhood. Before the governmental bailout funds become available, the folks in Lakeview simply have more resources of their own to get started on the rebuilding, as you would expect (Lakeview was one of the wealthiest parts of the city before the storm). Also, outside real estate speculators have been moving into Lakeview and buying up damaged properties to flip them, anticipating that this area will definitely come back. The Lower Ninth Ward, as well as much of New Orleans East, is threatened not only by vulnerable Lake Pontchartrain levees, which broke in Lakeview, Gentilly, and the East, but also by the MR-GO, the Mississippi River Gulf Outlet, the infamous "hurricane highway" which channeled storm surge straight from the Gulf of Mexico into St. Bernard Parish, New Orleans East, and the Ninth Ward. For this reason, as well as the fact that the Ninth Ward was an impoverished area beset by serious violent crime before the storm, the real estate speculators aren't going to be nearly as enthusiastic about buying properties there as they are about Lakeview.
   By Dave G. on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 10:36 am:  Edit

Andrew, thanks much for the insiders' view. I have no doubt that the Post is playing up the racial-cleansing angle. Race conflict is their bread and butter and there is little doubt that this is the biggest such story since O.J. The Post's writers know they had better sink their teeth into it or else.

The Post story also makes much out of the fact that Lakeview whites could flee the devestation by going to the white 'burbs, while poor blacks had to relocate farther away, making a return more difficult.
   By Andrew Fox on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 12:14 pm:  Edit

I think those Post reporters are pushing pretty hard to defend their thesis. Many of the areas within forty minutes of the flooded neighborhoods had and have substantial black populations, including much of West Bank Jefferson Parish and Kenner. My own neighborhood of Algiers has absorbed a good number of black New Orleanians from the East Bank, including many of my coworkers who lived in Gentilly or New Orleans East. Absentee votes coming in from other metro areas around Louisiana and from outside the state, by the way, line up in their racial makeup with the pre-Katrina racial makeup of New Orleans -- i.e.: about 67% black, 30% white, and 3% other. Although it is likely, based on prior voting trends, that a higher percentage of exiled white New Orleanians are chosing to cast ballots than are exiled black New Orleanians, this still indicates that the notion of black Orleanians making up a hugely disproportionate percentage of those one-time residents still living outside the metro area is overblown. Not mentioned by the media is the fact that many of the large neighborhoods emptied out by flooding (Broadmoor, Gentilly, and Mid-City) were multi-racial in character before Katrina. I know this to be true because I either lived in those places or had many friends who did.
   By Dave G. on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 01:08 pm:  Edit

No sense muddying a perfectly Pulitzer-quality bit of race-baiting with too many facts!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Josh Rountree
Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 09:58 am:   

Oh, how the mediocre have fallen.

Quincy Carter was cut this week from his CFL team after only four days of practice. I guess the other four QBs on the roster were more promising prospects.

And this guy was the QB for the Dallas Cowboys??

Lucius
Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 10:32 am:   

He's probably using again.....

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, June 02, 2006 - 10:12 am:   

Sean Taylor gets 18 months probation for gun-toting incident in Miami.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, June 02, 2006 - 11:39 am:   

yeah, he worked a plea bargain. Good Sean, good cane.... :-)

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, June 02, 2006 - 11:52 am:   

And some ex-FSU LB just got busted for stealing a $2,000 stereo from Lorenzo Booker. Teammates, huh?

Lucius
Posted on Friday, June 02, 2006 - 12:13 pm:   

Not hardly. Stealing a stereo ain't assault with a DW!

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, June 02, 2006 - 01:39 pm:   

I think your earlier instinct about the case being weak was dead on the money. No self-respecting ADA would plead a case with a celebrity defendant facing 46 years down to a no-contest with probation and no jail time unless her evidence was shaky at best.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, June 02, 2006 - 02:10 pm:   

Sean never seemed real worried... :-)

Josh Rountree
Posted on Friday, June 02, 2006 - 02:26 pm:   

Cowboys mini camp starts today. Can't wait to see how TO fits in.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, June 02, 2006 - 07:24 pm:   

sounds like it's a honeymoon so far...

Josh Rountree
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 08:09 pm:   

Peter King picked the Cowboys to win the SB. Not that that means anything at this point. I think they'll definitely be an improved team. The problem is, the rest of the division is tough.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 08:41 pm:   

You know I like the Boys, but I'm going with Carolina. Keyshawn may help their receivers more than TO helps the Cowboys receivers, and they were a better team to start with.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 07:16 am:   

Do you believe the shit the Titans are putting McNair through? Thanks for everything, Steve!

Minz
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 07:07 am:   

It's a friggin crime. Titan fans with season tickets should be demanding a refund!

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 07:46 am:   

Looks as though they're going to see a lot more of VY than they figured. They better watch out--they could ruin that boy.

If it was any franchise but Balt, I root for 'em to win it all.

Yeah, Minz, it's sort like if the Pack bounced Brett...of course that would be a good thing. :-)

Lucius
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 09:48 am:   

Flash--Ben Roethlisberger in serious motorcycle accident, taken to Pittsburgh hospital with head injury.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 10:15 am:   

The local news is saying he wasn't paying enough attention to where he was going, and crashed into a turning car. He wasn't wearing a helmet, so his head injuries could be severe.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_457685.html

Lucius
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 10:28 am:   

They say on ESPN now he's being treated for gashes on his forehead, whatever that means.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 10:39 am:   

R-berger was conscious. He was not wearing a helmet. Idiot.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 10:41 am:   

Okay, R-berger head-onned a car; he wasn't looking and just Blam. His head hit the windshield. He's in stable condition now.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 01:39 pm:   

Roethlisberger in surgery for broken jaw.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 03:04 pm:   

Roethlisberger injury list ==

broken jaw
9 inch gash in head
minor knee injuries

Lucius
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 03:13 pm:   

Also -- "lost many teeth..."

Josh Rountree
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 06:48 am:   

Sound like it could have been much worse. I'll bet the team is pissed.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 06:59 am:   

Yeah, but he was in surgery for seven hours. You know they're pissed...probably more freaked than pissed. Maybe R-berger will smarten up.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 11:29 am:   

This just in -- R-berger was driving without a license.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 01:45 pm:   

One little factoid that was mentioned in the NY Post, but which nobody else has mentioned is that Rothlisberger was reported to have suffered "severe" injuries to his knees when he hit the pavement.

Bye bye NFL career...???????

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 01:55 pm:   

The injuries to his knees are definitely NOT severe. The Post keeps its record for accuracy intact.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 02:29 pm:   

Damn, another victim of the media!

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 02:40 pm:   

Of the lower end of the media, even...

Josh Rountree
Posted on Friday, June 30, 2006 - 07:14 am:   

Looks like we might actually make it through the dark times. It's officially less than a month away from the start of Cowboys training camp.

And just to lob a controversy bomb...

We're winning the SB this year.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, June 30, 2006 - 07:18 am:   

I wish. I don't think we're going anywhere. Division and schedule too tough. Carolina, if they stay healthy, looks like the real deal to me.

Josh Rountree
Posted on Friday, June 30, 2006 - 09:49 am:   

I tend to agree...just stirring the pot a bit. ;)

It'll be a weird year. I believe everyone in the NFC East has a shot to win the division this year, and whichever team wins it will be a monster. Any team that wins through the NFC East has a shot of advancing in the playoffs. Once you get there, anything can happen.

Of course, the tough division could mean the victor is physically beaten down by playoff time.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, June 30, 2006 - 09:56 am:   

I think Carolina's due for a relatively injury-free year. WIth that defense and Keyshawn catching 100 balls, they're gonna be tough.

William Lexner
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 04:15 am:   

Regardless of who wins the NFC East, or even the NFC, let's be honest about it: The NFC champion is just who the Super Bowl Champion gets to beat. (Super Bowl meaning AFC Championship)

Denver, New England, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, a healthy Palmer led Cincinati, and perhaps Baltimore are better than anything the NFC has.

Peter King is on crack. He still subscribes to the Parcells genius that most have realized never existed. (Or rather, it did, and it's name was Belichick.)

Miami could even be up there, if their hastily constructed fantasy team gels a bit.

Carolina is the one team that might be able to stand up in that crowd, but they would need for Delhomme to start taking paxil, and for a running back to stay healthy.

luciuss
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 06:13 am:   

Miami Defense is hardly hastily constructed. And I think Saban's done a great job,

Let's be honest? New England? Having seen
Bellichek's genius firsthand in Cleveland, I'm not a disciple. Yeah, he's a better coach now, but I think NE takes a step back this year. They didn't do much to improve in the off-season. Indy loses their Edge, Pittsburgh their Bus and their El. Baltimore's D is aging, and McNair is a good hit away from see ya.

Denver with Plummer and Cinci with Palmer might be the AFC championship. Miami, maybe. None of these teams are superpowers. They're all thin--an injury here and there, and who knows?

Did you see the Super Bowl last year? The one between Carolina and NE? Those weren't exactly blowouts. This league has gotten what they want. Parity, ie, mediocrity. Seattle, whom I loathe, should have won last year. It's not by any means a stretch to imagine the NFC champ winnning the super bowl.

U Know Who
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 07:45 pm:   

Well, well, well, according to Pete Priscoll over at CBS Sportsline, guess who's the most overrated NFL player? It ain't Brett...
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9542704

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 08:06 pm:   

Minz...?

Well, RW gets a lot of hype, but he's not the most overrated. The guy's a player. He's no Sean Taylor or Ed Reed, but he's solld.

I don't think it's Brett, either But he's close.... :-)

Josh Rountree
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 07:49 am:   

Roy's strenght has always been his play in the box, even in college. At that, he's better than most. When the Cowboy's CB corp is healthy, he's not left in too many coverage situations anymore. When he is, yeah it's often a mismatch. It's all a matter of using your assets to their best advantage. I'll allow he gets more credit than he deserves, but he's still an outstanding player.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 08:11 am:   

Right. Nice analysis, Josh.

Nyah, Nyah, Minz...

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 04:49 pm:   

And oh yeah, Stealth Minz, those guys over at CBS sportsline, they're right about everything!

:-)

Lucius
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 06:37 am:   

My guess is that the most overrated player in the NFL handsdown is Michael Vick.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register