HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Good movies 34

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » Good movies 34 « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Good Movies 35Lucius05-26-06  10:39 am
Lars Von Trier IS Steven King 05-24-06  07:17 am
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 06:03 pm:   

It's oversomethinged already, IMO.

MarcL
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 09:42 pm:   

Herzog's documentary WHITE DIAMOND is low key (compared to GRIZZLY MAN), quite beautiful, and has some great character studies.

I've got DOWNFALL and COME AND SEE stacked up for viewing, but I somehow can't face two relentless war movies right now.

ben peek
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 10:31 pm:   

it's over backflashed, among other other things, i'd say. i read an interview with one of the scriptwriters from LOST (he'd left--said he wrote the episode where locke is introduced) and he said that the more popular it became, the more the network feared putting in the spec fic angles in it, so the show was grinding to a halt far as the mysteries were concerned.

i gave up towards the end of season one. maybe stuff has happened, but it's not more me now.

did anyone ever watch DEADWOOD? it's about the best tv thing i've seen for ages, i think.

Nathan Ballingrud
Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 05:06 am:   

I think DEADWOOD is a masterpiece. Ian McShane might just be the most menacing man alive. He also had a terrific turn in SEXY BEAST.

Marc -- let me know what you think about DOWNFALL.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 05:37 am:   

All these shows--Deadwood included--run on too long, Sopranos, Lost, etc. Deadwood had an exellent first coup[e of years, but has gone downhill since IMO.

Until recently McShane was most known for his role as Lovejoy, a "comedy" detective show about an antique authenticator. A far cry from his roies today.

I agree about Sexy Beast. I never understood all the fuss about Kingsley in that movie, McShane was much more effective...

Robert Devereux
Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 07:57 am:   

I'm still watching Lost, but the flashbacks are wearing thin. I don't think we need a flashback in every episode. They started by showing pivotal events in the character histories and why they were on the plane. Now, they seem to be more of the sake of having them, rather than developing the characters.

The writers have commented that they want to tone them down next season and focus more on what is happening on the island. I don't know if they actually will.

I wanted to watch Deadwood, but with all the HBO shows, you
need to watch them from the beginning. I tried an episode of Deadwood, but was completely lost.

I really liked Carnivale. I am disappointed they didn't pick up the 3rd season (it was planned as a 3 season show when it started).

Kelly Christopher Shaw
Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 09:06 am:   

I heard, on Twitchfilm.net a while back, that Carnivale may not be dead, as HBO optioned a mini-series to wrap up some plot threads left hanging after season 2. Then, if the mini series is successful, they may re-start the show.

PM
Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 09:53 am:   

Deadwood's out on DVD, cocksucker!

At one time tv was a mono episode affair. Perhaps a twosome sometimes.

Now it's LONG storylines that are stretchin' even beyond seasons. Has it's + and -.

I'll be onboard for Deadwood's ongoin' history lesson.

jk
Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 11:04 am:   

Just saw Werckmeister Harmonies. I can see why you didn't like it Lucius. Those interminably long takes were really grating on my nerves. Shot after shot of people walking down the street or eating soup for up to a minute or two, for no reason whatsoever. So he shot it in 39 takes, who cares? I'll definitely be avoiding any more of Bela Tarr's masterpieces in the future. He makes Tarkovsky look like Michael Bay!

Robert Devereux
Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 12:18 pm:   

I finally saw Peter Jackson's Kong. It seemed like three separate movies stitched together. First, a drama about a director trying to make a movie. Next, Jurassic Park. Last, Kong running amok in NYC. I didn't think any of the three really worked. The first wasn't really interesting, and ran too long. The second took what should have been 15-20 minutes of action so it took over an hour. The third seemed misguided by making it a love story between woman and ape. I think 60-90 minutes could have been cut to make it a more compelling film.

I also watched "The Warrior." An Indian warrior decides to renounce violence, and his former boss sends others to hunt him down. It could have easily been a simple vengeance movie, but avoided that by actually trying to keep the main character's decision to not fight. I enjoyed it.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 01:21 pm:   

Yeah, JK, there were some nice bits in werckmeister, but I'm with you on Tarr.

And I'm with you on Kong, Robert. 3 not so good movies....

who's in the warrior?

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 01:23 pm:   

Marc, did you go to E-3>

Robert Devereux
Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 01:28 pm:   

I didn't recognize anyone in The Warrior. The lead was Irfan Khan, but I haven't seen any of his other films.

ben peek
Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 04:27 pm:   

yeah, i agree that he was really quite menacing in SEXY BEAST. i never much understood everyone going on about kingsley. he just seemed to be all cussin' and bluffin'.

i've only seen the first two season of DEADWOOD, but i've really dug it so far.

Nathan Ballingrud
Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 05:38 pm:   

quote:

All these shows--Deadwood included--run on too long, Sopranos, Lost, etc. Deadwood had an exellent first coup[e of years, but has gone downhill since IMO.

Your argument is undermined somewhat by the fact that it has only just finished its second season. :-)

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 06:04 pm:   

What can I say--it felt like more. :-)

Naw, I knew that--I just write these posts fast. Working...

MarcL
Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 06:27 pm:   

The first season of DEADWOOD is one of the best things I've ever seen in any medium. Season 2, I was already so attached to the characters, it was not as intense but still superior. I'm excited to see who else they bring onstage, and trying to avoid knowing too much Deadwood history (for instance, knowing what becomes of the Gem).

I did a one day stint at E3, since I was on a panel on Thursday. It was less deafening than the other time I went (they set decibel caps), I met a nice French writer, Alexis Nolent, and played the Nintendo Wii thanks to a friend who works for the Big N. More importantly, I trekked to my favorite childhood restaurant, Philippe's Delicatessen in downtown L.A., for French dip sandwiches, pickled eggs, dill pickles, coleslaw. It's now apparently the favored site for post-Narcotics Anonymous hanging-out; I overheard some interesting conversations while I was sitting there dragging my feet through the sawdust.

PM
Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 07:10 pm:   

Hmmm...I wonder if I saw you. G4 TV did their E3 coverage. I was struck by the amount of real boobs on tv... :-) well ok some of them were fake.

Returning to tv. I'd say it's done more for me than the commercial movies that I have access to.

Peter Weller has certainly done more on 24 than I recall from him in recent film...

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 07:43 pm:   

Yep, I think we can agree that tv is superior to the American commercial cinema....

French dip and Narconon...God, you've lived! :-)

MarcL
Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 07:52 pm:   

If you're ever in downtown LA, right by Union Station and Olvera Street, don't miss Philippe's. It's been there 100 years and it's pretty consistent. I don't think there's anywhere else I ate 40 years ago that still tastes the same as I remember.

"I'll have the lamb sandwich." "I didn't see my sponsor." "We're out of lamb." "He's probably in some toilet shooting up." "NOOOO!"

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 08:02 pm:   

I know Union Station and Oliveira--I;ll look for Phillipes.

MarcL
Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 09:35 pm:   

At the triangular intersection of Alameda and Main...slather on the hot mustard...

MarcL
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 01:11 am:   

DOWNFALL was excellent. I'd heard it was partly about humanizing Hitler or showing a more sympathetic side to him, but I didn't see that at all. You can dandle a kid on his knee without making him the least bit sympathetic. Ganz was very good; the movie was sweeping yet intimate, reminiscent of THE PIANIST in many ways.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 06:47 am:   

A little treat for DEADWOOD fans: was anyone channel-surfing on Easter Sunday and, if so, did you come across Zefferelli's JESUS OF NAZARETH with McShane as Judas?

Lucius
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 07:28 am:   

I was too busy worshipping, Dave...

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 07:54 am:   

Mammon, I'll bet...:-)

Lucius
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 09:43 am:   

Mary Magdelene.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 09:48 am:   

Then you must be excited about the imminent opening of THE DA VINCI CODE...I'll probably see it just out of curiosity about the shots of the Louvre.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 10:34 am:   

That's not what got me excited...

PM
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 02:19 pm:   

Another fan of Tom's new do...

MarcL
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 02:20 pm:   

The Host appears to be, superficially at least, far less interesting than the same director's awesome MEMORIES OF MURDER:

http://www.twitchfilm.net/archives/006145.html

Still, there was something about that film so hard to pin down, and so great, that I will try to see this one anyway.

If you poke around a bit, you can find more posters and a trailer related to the movie.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 02:26 pm:   

Yeah, I'll definitely see it too.

MarcL
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 03:42 pm:   

Yay, Netflix. Miike's Bird People in China is finally winging its way me-ward.

MarcL
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 03:44 pm:   

As for The Host, do you get the feeling it's not exactly what it would appear to be from the trailer?

Unlike the trailer for M. Night's new extracrapaganza...

Lucius
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 05:18 pm:   

I couldn't find the trailer, but I did see a trailer for Memories and it looked like a serial killer movie.

Brendan Connell
Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 07:18 am:   

Bird People of China is good..............

MarcL
Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 02:21 pm:   

Here's a trailer for The Host:

http://www.cineclickasia.com/newsletter/news2006/nhost_320X240_300k.wmv

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 02:37 pm:   

Just a blank page for me, alas.....

MarcL
Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 08:53 pm:   

Can you right-click on it and save-link-as to your computer?

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 09:07 pm:   

Apparently not. Oh, well.

I'm having computer problems.....

MarcL
Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 11:41 pm:   

Well, COME AND SEE may not be one of my instant favorites, but it's certainly great. I hesitate to even call it a war movie. A movie mainly concerning the slaughter of Russian civilians is less a war story than a pure nightmare, with the tumble of horrific and surreal images one expects of a nightmare. After this and DOWNFALL, I've had enough Nazi movies to last me quite a while.

Uh oh, just remembered I've got FORBIDDEN GAMES coming from Netflix.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 06:04 am:   

I have COME AND SEE waiting for me at home...

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 06:21 am:   

On the depressing front, I recently got in a bunch of Michael Haneke's early films and watched Benny's video which begins with a graphic pig slaughtering and goes on from there. Pretty much of a bummer.

It's interesting you consider Come and See less a war movie because of the amount of civilian deaths. That's a a basic component of war, excepting 20th century America, and war is always nightmarish. But i agree, the movie is great. The great majority of our war movies present a sanitized view of war, but I have a feeling that won't be true in the future...if Hwood makes any more war movies after Tarantino's Inglorious Bastards, which I believe is a remake of a 70's Italian flick, which was in turn a rip-off of the Dirty Dozen. Yecch!

Kelly Christopher Shaw
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 06:34 am:   

I'm thinking about purchasing a DVD of the French film from the mid-90s, La Haine (Hate), directed by Matthieu Kassovitz. Anybody see it?

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 07:13 am:   

Hate is certainly the highpoint of Kassowitz's career (he went on to direct crap like Gothika). It's a terrific perf by Victor Cassel (Brotherhood of the Wolf, The Apartment, the Crimson Rivers), and it's a good movie, a very good movie, but I think it's a bit overrated, as are all movies that attempt to deal with complex subjects like racism in a relatively simplistic way, in microcosm, and I think it's a bit wrongheaded in its approach to racism. Still and all, worth a look.

Nathan Ballingrud
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 07:14 am:   

I really liked FORBIDDEN GAMES. A very dark, touching film. The very last shot just about killed me.

Kelly Christopher Shaw
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 07:31 am:   

Thanks Lucius. You've swayed me from making it my next purchase.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 07:44 am:   

You're a cautious man, Kelly. :-)

MarcL
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 10:06 am:   

I put the "not necessarily a war movie" disclaimer on there for anyone thinking they were going to get to see some cool combat. As an Amazon reviewer pointed out, there's resistance but no combat in the movie. Just slaughter. In wartime. So, yes, it's a war movie. It did remind me of Fires on the Plain in that it's mainly about a shellshocked character wandering a ravaged landscape...no fighting, just suffering.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 10:38 am:   

Yep, not a combat film, for sure. What's your favorite combat movie? There aren't too many I like.

Got in a DVD with Chris Marke's La Jette and his underappreciated Sans Soleil. A truly weird intellectual experience, probably not for everyone.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 11:28 am:   

Lucius, as someone who has seen combat, I'm curious which films you think most accurately capture the experience.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 12:24 pm:   

I didn't really see it; i was hiding my head. :-) There are elements in many films. The most accurate film I've seen about Vietnam was 84 Charlie Mopic. Platoon, as much I detest it generally, got the chaos of a night firefight right. I found the stylized view of combat in Thin Red Line quite effective. Land and Freedom, I thought, demonstrated well the graceless, almost casual way death comes, all established by long shots. I never seen a film treat of guerilla war properly--but my only guage for that was the war in El Salvador. I've heard about an Aussie film that's very good, but can't recall the title. Angry Something.

Kelly Christopher Shaw
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 12:40 pm:   

Cautious, indeed – I decided to purchase the French police procedural 36 Quai des Orfèvres instead, which has been compared to Heat.

I thought Saving Private Ryan would have made the top of your list. :-)

Kelly Christopher Shaw
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 12:56 pm:   

I never heard of 84 Charlie Mopic, so I did a bit of research on it. Along the way, I came across a former Marine on IMDB endorsing it and one other film: the 1979 Australian film The Odd Angry Shot. Probably the flick you were referring to.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 01:30 pm:   

Kelly, you're gonna be way disappointed in Quais de Offevres. It's no Heat. It's just okay.

Thanks for looking up the odd angry shot....

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 01:37 pm:   

More about Quai -- it has Daniel Autiel, one of my favorite actors, and he's great; but it just doesn't ever rise to the inensity of Heat.

MarcL
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 01:39 pm:   

Thin Red Line is probably my favorite war movie.

I should like Full Metal Jacket more than I do; but I can't help comparing it to the various books on which it was based (Shorttimers and Dispatches) and it doesn't hold up very well beside them. I know, it's a movie. Still.

Kelly Christopher Shaw
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 01:47 pm:   

Lucius, I'll pretend I didn't read your comments about Quais de Offevres. I did find it for under $20 from hkflix.com, so no harm even if I don't dig it.

Marc, I've never read the books FMJ is based on, so I've always really liked it for what it is – the last great Kubrick flick. It also seems to be the last word on boot-camp training, as any other film (i.e. Jarhead) that even attempts to travel similar ground just looks foolish.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 02:14 pm:   

Platoon's battle scenes scared the Dickens out of me. I also liked the chaotic sense of the sniper scenes in Full Metal Jacket, the sense that you may not know where your enemy is or which direction the bullet is coming from.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 02:56 pm:   

THere are better sniper movies than FMJ -- that horrid Stalingrad movie, Enemy at the Gates, for one. It surprises me that Hwood never has done a Stephen Hunter novel....

MarcL
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 05:49 pm:   

The Short Timers reads like a grenade going off in your hand. Dispatches is also great. I do like FMJ...I just always feel as if I should like it more than I do.

Jarhead was just plain awful.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 06:35 pm:   

Gus did hard time for overdue books. RIP

MarcL
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 09:41 pm:   

Heh, yes. Bless him and his international organization of library book-filled sheds. I only met him once but heard lots of stories. He wrote one amazing novel that is shamefully out of print. (The others were...ok.)

MarcL
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 09:44 pm:   

Looks like Hasford's cousin has posted the texts of all his novels here. Everyone should read The Short Timers.

http://www.gustavhasford.com/short.htm

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 10:02 pm:   

Lisa Goldstein knew him pretty well. I met him a few times....

Double hear-hear.

ben peek
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 10:10 pm:   

hey, thanks for that, marc. i tried to track down THE SHORT TIMERS years ago, but it was just not round less it was a tiny fortune.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 09:00 am:   

Two really interesting movies last night. Fatih Akin's (Head-On) Crossing the Bridge, a documentary examination of contemporary music, including rock and hip-hop. Really interesting and great music. Then, Gravehopping, Serbian black comedy about a man who (professionally) gives speeches at funerals. It's not UNDERGROUND, but it's still very, very good....

Kelly Christopher Shaw
Posted on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 09:36 am:   

The doc sounds like a natural progression for Akin, since Head-On used music to powerful effect (particularly, that repeating Depeche Mode song linked to the characters' self-destruction – good stuff). I see the doc comes out on DVD in the UK on Jun. 20, but am unable to find it anywhere else. Where'd you get it?

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 10:00 am:   

The guy who's writing the screenplay for American Prayer burned a cd and sent me these two. Holllywood people see everything well in advance of normal folk and I have some friends down there--thus I get to see some foreign movies before they're released in their native lands. Mostly I'm in the same boat as everyone else, but as in this case, sometimes someone recalls I liked Akin or whatever.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 10:04 am:   

PS -- for those in the Seattle area, Crossing the Bridge plays at the Seattle Film Festival, which starts this month.

MarcL
Posted on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 04:47 pm:   

A pretty good Grizzly Man parody:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIiwhB38M1A&search=grizzly%20bear%20man

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 09:33 pm:   

Saw a good movie tonight, not a great movie, but a pretty cool example of the medieval detective story. BLOOD RAIN. It takes place on a small island off the Korean coast, the site of paper mill notable for the quality of its product. Twice a year they send a boatload of paper to the court and the night before the boat sails, it is set afire by -- it turns out -- a most ingenious means.
The absence of tribute may cause the owner of the mill to be punished severely and an iquisitor is sent. So begins a violent and bloody revenge story, told in flashback and in the present as the inquisitor investigates the crime. If you like who done its, this is a right good one.

Bob K.
Posted on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 10:34 pm:   

Pretty funny, Marc. My favorite phrase: "... nuttier than squirrel shit."

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 11:34 pm:   

couldn't access it. :-(

Kelly Christopher Shaw
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 06:33 am:   

I finally watched Johnny To's Election yesterday. It's hard to believe this is the best Hong Kong has to offer anymore (after all, it swept the latest HK film awards). It's a severely underwritten, superficial Triad film. Good news is that Election 2 is supposed to be much better, so this is probably worth a viewing just so you can enjoy that one.

Haven't seen Blood Rain, though it was one of the best reviewed S. Korean films from last year.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 07:22 am:   

Blood Rain is nice if you like mysteries. It's pretty over the top with blood, but it's a cool mystery.

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 10:37 am:   

Not to be confused with "Bloodrayne"?

Lucius
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 10:40 am:   

Different movie. Definitely.

MarcL
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 10:46 am:   

Bob, my favorite phrase was, "It's simply not appropriate."

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 12:12 pm:   

The best part was Werner Herzog presenting the girlfriend with a bear-eaten copy of "Relayer"...

MarcL
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 01:27 pm:   

"It's an acquired taste."

Lucius
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 04:14 pm:   

I just got back from the da Vinci code....

I need a drink.

Kelly Christopher Shaw
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 05:02 pm:   

I hope you got paid to see that.

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 05:19 pm:   

What disturbed me about the Da Vinci Code's "anti-buzz" is they say that there is hardly any use of Da Vinci's work in the film. That would be the only reason I would see it.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 05:28 pm:   

They had the Mona Lisa in it....

Nathan Ballingrud
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 07:43 pm:   

... you mean Da Vinci did something other than paint the Mona Lisa? :-)

Jeffrey Ford
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 08:03 pm:   

Lynn and my son Derek went to see it today. They both read the book and liked it. They both liked the movie. I was supposed to go, but at the last minute I remembered Hanks was in it and that put the kaibosh on it for me. I bagged out. I'd rather wipe my ass with a steak knife than watch Hanks for 2+ hours.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 09:13 pm:   

I did get paid. Only reason I went.

Nathan, I hear Leonardo did great things in the kitchen.

We should have things I'd rather do than spend two + hours with Hanks.

For instance, I'd rather have a threeway wiith Barbara and Laura Bush...

No offense, Jeff, but I don't see how anyone could like that movie....It's completely without suspense, and most of the scenes involve three characters explaining things to each other in immense wads of exposition. I figured out where the "grail" was buried about five minutes in, as
did a bunch of high school kids sitting behind me, and it had the dumbest cop-out I've ever seen....

Lucius
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 09:15 pm:   

cop-out ending

PM
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 05:52 am:   

I assume that you'll write about it. Lucky you :-)

Will you compare it to say, Indiana Jones? or a midsummer's day...

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 07:09 am:   

No, I think I'll do something like this....

"In a better world than this, Tom Hanks would be a high school janitor and Ron Howard would be his balding, baseball cap-wearing, SSI benefit-receiving buddy, with whom he goes to the dog track..."

PM
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 10:46 am:   

tell us more!

jk
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 11:00 am:   

You mean you don't consider Opie a great director? My brother drove by a movie theater yesterday and there were a bunch of people outside picketing the movie. Ha ha. Do they realize the book is a (poorly written) work of fiction? I need to thumb through my back issues of Fortean Times and find a suitable conspiracy theory that I can dumb down and insert into a Mcbook for the general McPublic. Maybe I could make 500 million too.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 11:28 am:   

Not just yet, PM

The thing is, JK, once you dumb down, you have a hard climb back.

MarcL
Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 11:00 pm:   

Not to mention, there are already thousands of other McWriters desperately or simply cynically trying the exact same strategem, all of them well ahead of you. You could maybe slip in with a parody.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 05:52 am:   

As in "The Duh Vinci Code...""

ben peek
Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 07:04 am:   

just call it SCREAM 5.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 08:06 am:   

It did over 70 million last weekend.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 09:16 am:   

I heard some comments from somebody who hadn't read the book. He loved it, but thought he needed to see it again in order to fully follow the conspiracy theory.

I feel more inclined to watch it than read it. Watching it wastes 2 hours of my life, while reading it wastes a few more. But since I already know the conspiracy theory behind it, I feel like I can do neither and waste my time on more entertaining bad movies.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 09:47 am:   

Good call.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 10:15 am:   

Silver lining: anything that gets 7 or 8 million of the great unwashed into the Louvre could, in some infinitesimally small way, have a civilizing effect on a freefalling culture.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 10:33 am:   

You can now take da Vinci Code tours. Sign me up. I want to walk through the Louvre with those suburban wives and their pissed-off husbands.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 02:38 pm:   

If just one puffy suburban housewife is turned on to the glories of Renaissance art by a Da Vinci Code tour, then...well, there will still be several thousand annoying people gumming the place up for the rest of us.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 08:23 pm:   

Watched a pretty good Russian crime movie called Tycoon based on the life of Boris Berezovsky, who made billions during perestroika. Interesting look at Russian politics during that time...

Kelly Christopher Shaw
Posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 10:48 am:   

Bong Joon-Ho' follow-up to Memories of Murder, The Host, premiered at Cannes the other day. The reviews have been great! Here's what Manhola Dargis said about it:

"...this terrific hybrid-genre fantasy about a mutant creature with a lotuslike mouth and a steady appetite has been alternately described as a monster movie and a science fiction thriller, but is also a comedy, a family drama, a political critique and, at times, a seriously scary freak-out. Mr. Bong can shift moods and tones on a dime..."

Can't wait 'till this one hits DVD.

MarcL
Posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 11:37 am:   

Sounds awesome.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 12:08 pm:   

Ditto.

MarcL
Posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 01:28 pm:   

The Bird People in China was really good.

Has Miike ever made a dull movie?

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 07:00 pm:   

A lot of his gangster movies get pretty same-old same-old....

Robert Devereux
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 06:21 am:   

Has anyone seen "American Astronaut?" I just saw a write-up at Twitch, and the idea of a sci-fi/western/musical sounds interesting.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 06:46 am:   

Anyone know when Miike's Masters of Horror DVD comes out?

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 07:14 am:   

It may sound interesting, but it'd be way surprising if it were good.

No, haven't heard about the Miike...

MarcL
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 02:00 pm:   

Twitch has been following the release dates for the Miike MoH.

Well, I finally watched Balaguero's THE NAMELESS...I wish I could say I liked it, but I thought it was mostly dull and, in the end, it wasn't helped by some really silly performances by the cultists. I'm hard-pressed to think of anything I really liked...there might have been a moment or two that gave a brief chill, but honestly there were more of those in the also not-so-hot DARKNESS. (The best part of DARKNESS was when my TV died right at the point in the eclipse ritual where power went out in the haunted house.)

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 02:16 pm:   

Well, Then I don't recommend the third Balagueros film, Fragiles. I have a governor that switches on when I watch horror. So I tend, perhaps, to overrate it.

PM
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 09:38 pm:   

"Anyone know when Miike's Masters of Horror DVD comes out?"

Fall 2006 (supposedly)

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 10:13 pm:   

"This is the Lost you've been waiting for..."

Yeah, right. I got sucked back in for this episode by the promise of answers, and so far the highlight is a remnant of a collossal statue, to wit, the lower part of a leg and a foot with four toes. What a crock! And Clancy Brown chewing up the scenery...Jeez!

Well, there's another 45 minutes yet...

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 11:14 pm:   

And now here comes a new bunch of characters....What bullshit!

ben peek
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 03:56 am:   

lucius man, you been conned.

but then i just saw x-men 3, so i suppose we both been done today.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 05:59 am:   

Since your today is my tomorrow, I have being conned by something X-Mennish to look forward too.... :-)

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 06:03 am:   

But Lost is a total shuck. Some frigging apocalypse -- the sky goes white and one guy (maybe) dies...

Robert Devereux
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 06:05 am:   

I liked the finale. We found out why the plane crashed, what happens when the button isn't pushed, and finally ended the Michael/Walt story (it was far too boring).

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 06:26 am:   

But it made no sense...and we don't know that the walt/michael story is over. I doubt it is. We still have all that shit about "the Child" to explain. I don't even think we found out why the plane crashed. We find out why one demented guy thinks the plane crashed. I bet there's more too it--if there isn't, then a whole lost of the BS that went before, like all that stuff about Hurley's numbers, was a humongus red herring. And what happens when you don't push the button? Aside from the sky turning violet, can you tell me with any degree of certainty?

El Aura is out for sale today.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 06:30 am:   

As to the button, not pushing it obviously generates something like an EMP, except that engines continue to work, which means its not an EMP, though it's perceived as such by the Russians....

Humbug!

Robert Devereux
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 06:53 am:   

I guess I just have lower TV standards than you do.

Since they promised we'd find out why the plane crashed, we can assume Desmond's theory is right. Not pushing the button seemed to cause massive amounts of magnetism from whatever was covered by concrete. That part makes sense. The fail safe key is the thing that doesn't make sense. I have no idea how that EMP type thing worked.

For Michael/Walt, they might not be off the show, but the whole "they took my boy" thing is over. I began to wonder if Michael had any lines besides that. Harold Perrineau isn't in the cast next season, so he's sort of gone (he may be back for guest spots).

I think the numbers aren't really a red herring, they're just a way to show how everyone on the show is linked (for example, Sayid met Kate's dad and Clancy Brown in Iraq). I don't think there's any deeper meaning to them.

In season 1, it ended with a lot of unanswered questions, but many were answered in the first episode of season 2. I think they're planning the same thing for season 3.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 07:19 am:   

Well, I don't think my standards are higher -- I'm just weary of this trail of breadcrumbs narrative strategy.

I hope they explain the foot. :-)

Robert Devereux
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 07:33 am:   

The foot was definitely the most interesting part. I'm sure they'll drag out explaining it.

Kelly Christopher Shaw
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 07:45 am:   

"El Aura is out for sale today."

Nice! I just placed my order from exploitedcinema. Yesterday, the Whore and the Whale arrived, too. So there's some good Spanish cinema in my future. Up until now, the only Spanish cinema I've really seen is by Almodovar or Amenebar, so I'm looking forward to seeing what other cinematic treasures that country has to offer.

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 10:10 am:   

Anybody know where I can get a DVD copy of Greenaway's THE BABY OF MACON?

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 12:11 pm:   

check with the guy at Xploited; he'll answer questions, take orders.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 07:18 pm:   

What's with Deadwood being cancelled?

jk
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 07:46 pm:   

Speaking of Greenaway, wasn't Madonna supposed to be in his next one? Ugh...I hope not. Not that a new Greenaway holds out much promise anyway, after 8 1/2 Women.

Nathan Ballingrud
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 08:52 pm:   

Greenaway, in my opinion, is a painter who should have stuck to the canvas. His movies are the very definition of vapid self-indulgence; they're filled with pretty images but seem to be actually hostile to the concept of storytelling. Fuck Greenaway.

And if I seem unreasonably animated on the topic, it's because they're cancelling DEADWOOD! Why, WHY do the men in suits hate quality so much? Why do they take DEADWOOD from me, yet leave me steaming turds like STARGATE SG-1 and CHARMED!?

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 09:18 pm:   

Agree about Greenway --

As far as Deadwood goes, what happened?

ben peek
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 10:00 pm:   

man, that's such a shame about DEADWOOD.

did you get x-mennish conned, lucius?

Nathan Ballingrud
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 10:29 pm:   

From what I can find after doing a little skimming, Albrecht at HBO is faced with huge production costs. He can't get rid of ROME, which is where much of that money is going, because they have a two year contract; he can't get rid of THE SOPRANOS, because the world would end; so he dropped DEADWOOD. I think it's a short-sighted decision.

Some people are apparently holding out hope that the fourth season will be rescued, since nothing is final until the actors' contracts expire on June 11. That seems like a pipe dream, though. I figure if DEADWOOD will continue it will be a year or two down the road, once some of these other money-sinks have left the air. By that time, though, people may no longer care.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 11:34 pm:   

Thanks, Nathan....

Yeah, Ben, I saw the world's biggest budget Leni Reifenstahl film. Wow. The next person to give Ratner more than a hundred bucks to make a movie wins a date with Dark Phoenix...

ben peek
Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 04:13 am:   

it's pretty shocking, isn't it?

a friend of mine today was trying to convince me that we ought to make a website where people ask studios for their ticket money back. tell you, got me tempted.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 05:35 am:   

Sounds like the same reason HBO killed Carnivale. It was expensive and they wanted to sink all their spare money into Rome.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 06:33 am:   

Homosexuality was always a part, a large part, of the subtext of X-men, but Ratner did was just...I was flabbergasted. An amazing experience. Not a good one.

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 06:34 am:   

Not a huge Greenaway fan, but I really dug MACON, which, from what I gather, vanished almost instantly upon its release.

They are going to air this season of Deadwood, the one they've been running promos for, right?

I don't know about HBO's direction lately. Entourage is a trifle. Rome is expensive-looking, but uninvolving. Whatever happened to America Undercover? At least Big Love has turned out better than expected.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 06:44 am:   

Bucket told me they were just ending it, but I don't really know.

Nathan Ballingrud
Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 07:04 am:   

They're running Season 3, which airs the same day the contracts expire. What pisses many people off -- including me -- is that Milch envisioned a four season arc. Apparently the original Deadwood settlement was around for four years before being destroyed by a flood; the fourth season was to include that event. Certain character arcs and storylines were evolved according to that pace. So even though we'll get the third year, we'll likely find that much will be left unresolved. It's like a reading a great book only to discover that the publisher neglected to print the last hundred pages.

Andrew Fox
Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 07:51 am:   

Hi, everybody! It's a tantalizing but somewhat frustrating experience, reading all of your comments about these apparently fascinating HBO series and furrin films that I've either never heard of or will have no opportunities to see until my two boys are in their teens. Kind of like visiting an Italian pastry shop while on the Atkins Diet. Dara and I don't get cable (too expensive down here, and we wouldn't have time to watch it, anyway), and in the thirty months since Levi was born, I've seen all of two movies in the theaters. . . Fantastic Four and King Kong (I had much lower expectations for the former than I did for the latter going in, so I ended up enjoying FF a whole lot more).

However, I know I have much pleasure to look forward to in my declining years, when all this great stuff you're blogging about will be available on whatever format will be in vogue in the year 2040 or so. I'll use my father's recent experiences as a guide. My dad's 74, and a friend of his gave him an old VCR a few years back, but he never used it because he didn't want to mess with hooking it up to his TV. About two months ago, his building got a new super, and she befriended my dad and hooked up his VCR. Well, let me tell you, he calls me every ten days or so to tell me all about the fantastic movies he's been able to check out for free from his local public libraries. He's hit every single library within a fifty mile radius of his apartment, and since he is so voraciously consuming every detective, war, mystery, and action/adventure movie they have, he's now picking up pretty obscure titles that he's never previously heard of and enjoying many of them tremendously. Plus, he sees how many other movies are now available in DVD format, so he's talking about buying a cheap Chinese DVD player and having his super hook that up, too, so he can enlarge his range of options. He's like a kid with a new toy. It's fun to hear him wax so enthusiastic over the phone. Plus, he's always had a rare talent for telling the stories of movies to me in a very entertaining way (I spent many, many hours as a kid listening to his retellings of movies like The Corsican Brothers, The Four Feathers, and The Canterville Ghost). Hey, thirty or forty years from now, if I can pull out an old list of the movies and HBO original series that you guys are raving about and find that stuff at my local library (or on the Web, or whatever they'll have by then) and get even half the pleasure my dad is getting, I'll be a pretty happy guy.

Nathan Ballingrud
Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 07:58 am:   

Andy:

quote:

I know I have much pleasure to look forward to in my declining years, when all this great stuff you're blogging about will be available on whatever format will be in vogue in the year 2040 or so.

Hah! You're quite the optimist. I think in 2040 we'll be making shadows on our walls by firelight.

Andrew Fox
Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 09:47 am:   

And won't that be fun! Roasting marshmellows, too.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 10:34 am:   

I, unfortunately, have to go with Nathan on this one.

Time to start a new thread.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |