2006 NFL Draft Live Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » 2006 NFL Draft Live « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Minz
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 09:51 am:   

need a new thread for the ongoing action..

By LS on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 09:55 pm:
I have to disagree. DEs taken high have a pretty high rate of not working out. Courtney Brown, with my Browns, being a recent example. Besides, the idea was supposedly to help Carr, to whom they just paid a bundle. This pick doesn't do that. Williams is a freak, but that's no guarantee -- some pro teams have him ranked second or third at DE on their boards. He has a tendency to take plays off, which is not a good sign. I think Manny Lawson may have a better rookie year. Even if it works out, Carr's not going to be able to take hits forever, and Bush would have made an excellent safety valve. And if not Bush, take D'Brickishaw, for god's sake. Naw, to me, Williams is a bonehead pick.

And I disagree about Bush, too. He's as big as Marshall Faulk and he's better at this stage of his career. One dumb lateral doesn't change anything. And New Orleans won't be drafting him--I think the Jets will trade up to get him and he'll be a god in NYC. No one can tell if a guy's gonna make it. There are injuries, etc. But Bush has crazy skills and I think he's worth a high pick. Will he be better than Deangelo Williams, who I love? Beats me, but--barring injury--he'll be a good one. There have been a number of small backs who have done well in the league. Emmit was pretty good. He weighed 209 coming out. Warwick Dunn, etc. They didn't have Bush's skill set. Bush comes out of an offense that ran him between the tackles -- he's big enough, and he'll add ten pounds of muscle before the season.

NFL ready? The most NFL ready offensive lineman in the draft is Garren College, a guy from Boise State. He has perfect techinque. But that's not what the draft is all about--the draft is about potential. And Reggie Bush has potential. So does Young, but I don't see picking him because it's gonna be three years before he realizes it if he does and there are QBs in this draft who you can get lower and will be three-year projects. Young has a big upside, but he could be a bust. So in my book, that's not worth taking him high.

At tight end, I like Leonard Pope from UGA way more than Bird, but you may be right about Bird. As for the Rose Bowl, Winston Justice will be good, and I think Huff will be an excellent safety-corner. Lendale White, I think, will be good pick early second or late first. But they're none of them NFL ready.

And as for Barry Sanders, who was (were) his QB (s)? Barry won some games for the Lions.

By ls on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 10:36 pm:
Recent no 1 overall defensive picks -- Steve Entman, Russel Maryland, Aundray Bruce, Dan Wilkinson. Not exactly a HOF list.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message By barth on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 05:58 am: Edit

The Texans obviously didn't want to pay Reggie Bush that bigga bagga gold he wants. I'm with Lexner - NO has had their fill of diva RBs. No matter how great he is, Bush is probably gonna drop at least one more slot today.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message By LS on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 06:15 am:
I don't know,. Mario Williams had three-four good games for Maryland last year; for most of the season he was pretty damn ordinary. Grade that against two solid years of production, sometimes brilliant. Have you seen Williams' contract? It's nine million more than Alex Smith got. Beside which, pass rushing is the only facet of defense Houston was good at -- they ranked 14th in the NFL. They need cornerbacks and linebackers more than a DE. Casserly keeps saying it was a football decision. If so, it was a dumb football decision. Williams is going to need a sack a game to get the pressure off him, and I doubt he'll get that..

By LS on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 06:30 am:
Anyway, fuck it. That's why the Texans are the Texans. The Browns have nine picks. I wonder if they'll all suck.

By LS on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 07:08 am:
The funniest thing I have heard so far is little promo piece for the ESPN draft show, and they have the first few draftees descriibing their personal style, and when they get to Jay Cutler, he describes himself as intense and then says, "We like to get after it at Vandy..."
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message By William Lexner on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 07:21 am:
I can't argue about the Manny Lawson thing. I'm kind of hoping that's who my Patriots end up getting.

By LS on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 07:43 am:
I don't think he'll drop that far, unfortunately for the pats. But then considering how this draft started, who the fuck knows? :-)

By ls on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 08:09 am:
Looks like Benson's gave his people the go ahead to sign Bush...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message By John Picacio on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 09:07 am: Edit

Lucius --

What the hell was going on with that crazy French circus, X-Men/Matrix, Paris runway intro???

Yikes.

You could see the look on Huff's face during that thing, and it looked like, "What the hell am I doing dressed like Toad from the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants?"

Oh well. Let's get this on.

"Houston, you have a big problem." Goodbye, franchise. For at least the next decade...

By Minz on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 09:36 am: Edit

I agree about Williams to a certain extent--if they were really going to be bold, Houston should've drafted Ferguson, someone who'll protect Carr's backside for a decade.

I think Williams would've had a better shot as a pro in a Pack uniform (honest). Because his competition/mentors at DE would've been KGB & Peterson, who, whatever their flaws might be, are absolute 100% effort players who give it their all, not just every game but every practice. No guarantees it would've rubbed off on Williams, but I would've liked the chances.

But it is a bad pick for Houston.

At this point, I'm really hoping for Vern Davis for the Pack. He makes the most sense. Everyone seems to have forgotten that it was our offense that had the big problems last season, not the d (to which we've already added Woodson and a couple of good DTs).

By John Picacio on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 09:37 am:
Vince Young #3!!!! I guess I just became a Tennessee Titans fan today.

By ls on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 09:40 am:
I was watching on the NFL channel, so I missed it. But yeah, unless Kubiak can work some special magic, David Carr in for a hurting. Young to Tenn. I think that's the best place for him. I think he the best chance to succeed there and Chow will help him.

Yeah, I agree. I'm really happy that Vince gets a chance to learn with McNair (assuming he sticks around) and I can't wait for Chow to start working a scheme around VY.

By LS on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 09:46 am:
The thing is, Williams only turned it on the last four games--that to me is a bad sign. He got the lion's share of his sacks against teams like Maryland and South Fla. Eric Winston of Miami made his disappear.

The pack will get a good player at 5, but I doubt it'll be Davis.

D'brickishaw would have been good for the Texans, but not as good as bush--with that cutback running game, he would have been great.

Minz
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 09:52 am:   

Green Bay on the clock...

LS
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 09:53 am:   

Thanks Minz. Here comes the pack pick....I see a cornerback. :-)

Minz
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 09:54 am:   

Oopsie, didn't bring along a ripe Lucius comment:
By LS on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 09:49 am: Edit
Leinert looks like someone stole his teddy bear.

Yeah Chow and Young will do some things.

LS
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 09:58 am:   

I don't see Lienert with the Raiders. He isn't a Raiders kind of guy.

LS
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 10:04 am:   

I think it's a great pick. Seriously. You can build with this guy.

Davis looks about as happy as Lienert...The Niners!

Minz
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 10:05 am:   

Alright, I can live with Hawk (he was my early favorite in the first place). He'll really solidify the defense.

And remember Lucius, this was the tenth ranked defense in the league last year (I love making the veins pop out in L's head...)

LS
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 10:06 am:   

Is Davis crying for happy?

ls
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 10:09 am:   

10th ranked...Fuck! But Hawk, like I said, will be great. This was the defense (quoting ESPN) that made Kyle Boller look like an all-timer.

lS
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 10:16 am:   

Huff to the Raiders. It's Official, Lienart and Cutler are in freefall.

Huff will be a good Raider....

Josh Rountree
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 10:23 am:   

Huff's a great player, but I hate the Raiders. He'll be hard to root for now. But VY to the Titans, I like!

ls
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 10:40 am:   

Me, too as regard both guys.

Lienert to AZ. I dunno. With Fitzgerald and Bolden, if he can't play there....

They did a piece showing how zippy Cutler's ball was compared to Lienart.....Whoa!

LS
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 10:48 am:   

Aha! Denver trade for Cutler? Yup. Better pick than AZ.

LS
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 11:03 am:   

Haloti Ngata Haloti Ngata Haloti Ngata Haloti Ngata Haloti Ngata....

Goddamn it! You don't trade with your division rival so as to give away the player you need! Fuck!

LS
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 11:18 am:   

Manny Lawson Manny Lawson Manny Lawson Manny Lawson...Wimbly?

Well, better than Bunkley, Still, a FSU guy....If these guys were so good, how'd they loose four games.

LS
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 12:44 pm:   

The Browns obviously have boneheads running the draft. I'm way disappointed.

How about Morony being taken before Wlliams, and by the Pats.

I like the Dallas pick...

Minz
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 03:10 pm:   

I like stockpiling draftpicks, but WTF? Could've had Chad Jackson!!!!!! Frigginfragginfarginfahrvegnugen.

ls
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 03:27 pm:   

Yah, that was strange. So far I think Denver is having a great day. The Rams, the the Giants, maybe Tennessee, maybe AZ. Philly has taken three FSU linemen the last few year and the first two weren't that good--I don't think this one will be either.

BTW, the NFL channel's coverage is way better than ESPN's --- they actually talk about the second round picks.

ls
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 03:30 pm:   

And the Browns are still boneheads -- trading their starting center and a second rounder to move up a few slots?? Somewhere the Brownatar is silently screaming,

ls
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 03:31 pm:   

Yah, that was strange. So far I think Denver is having a great day. The Rams, the the Giants, maybe Tennessee, maybe AZ. Philly has taken three FSU linemen the last few year and the first two weren't that good--I don't think this one will be either.

BTW, the NFL channel's coverage is way better than ESPN's --- they actually talk about the second round picks.

LS
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 03:37 pm:   

BTW. GB drafted that guy from Boise State, Colledge, who's the most NFL-ready OL in the draft.

Minz
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 04:36 pm:   

pretty happy with the Jennings pick. Kid has delivered the goods for three years (three straight 1000+ seasons), plus he's a punt returner. Could easily become a very good #2 wr once he learns the ropes.

ls
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 04:42 pm:   

Winnners Jets, Packers (yuck), Giants, Pats, Carolina

Losers Buffalo, Browns, Texans

Ls
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 07:23 pm:   

Actually the Texans finally did something on their OL line for Carr. but I can't give them a good grade because I thinked they missed an opportunity and I think they missed it for reasons of a couple of million bucks....which could cost them a lot more.

Minz
Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 06:10 am:   

no shit,
I couldn't be much happier

Although you do have to weigh the loss of Walker against this (though he was gone one way or another)

Even Spitz, who's good fit for the shift to the zone/trap blocking scheme (ala Denver) despite his stiff hips. He's got the straightline quickness to be effective in the scheme.

LS
Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 08:22 am:   

But the thing is, Minz, these guys can't save Brett's season. They're building this team for Rodger or whoever....But good draft for the Pack.

William Lexner
Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 11:36 am:   

I really like the Jets picks.

As for my Patriots, I had a feeling all along that they might prefer Maroney to Williams. (Belichick is all about RB's that can block and catch) I also think that Maroney is who Indy wanted -- which makes my day in and of itself.

The Chad Jackson pick I like because he was a tremendous value in the second, and it seems that the Pats had him rated highly because he was able to remember the things they taught him about their offense between the combine and being brought in for an interview. He has played in two types of offenses and picked them both up quickly. That's great, because Brady wants a target, not a project.

As for the Pats going for two consecutive tight ends when they already have two number one draft pick tight ends -- I think we're about to see something new. Belichick is all about match-ups. Who can cover three tight ends? four? You split Ben Watson out wide, and what corner can defend him? This will be interesting.

Dallas, New England, Cleveland, and Miami all passed on Manny Lawson. They can't *all* be wrong. He might just be a product of Mario Williams on the other side.

I can't help but think that Tennessee made the stupidest blunder in years. Young was electrifying in college, but I doubt his mental ability. I hope I'm wrong, but I'd be shocked if this guy can be a success in the pros. I think the Titans second round pick will turn out to be a lot better than their first rounder.

Leinart has all the tools around him, including a mentor in Kurt Warner. He has every opportunity to excel in this league. Best thing that possibly could have happenned to him.

Buffalo will regret passing on Leinart and Cutler.I'm personally happy to see them remain a joke, especially with Miami burgeoning as a power and the Jets retooling.

Michael Irvin is T-I-Red of hearing that defense wins championships? Too fucking bad. This guy is smoking crack.

No, really. He probably is.

Green Bay's draft is pretty good, but they have no chance at winning anything until they develop a young quarterback. It's been said a million times, but it bears repeating -- Brett Favre is the problem.

Ls
Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 12:22 pm:   

The best GB moment I had all draft was William Henderson giving that HOF rim job to Farve -- "I mean Brett's got the sweetest breath of any man I know." It was fucking hilarious. And his exchange with Jaworski was priceless, explaining 29 ints as tipped balls and shit. But I agree, Brett is the problem.

Michael Irvin can smoke all the crack he wants--he was a balls out receiver.

Pardon me if I don't get all misty about Bellichek---as a Brown, he was a nightmare.

I wonder if Lienert will be decent even with all those weapons. I like AZ's draft after the first round.

Manny Lawson was no more a product of Mario Williams than vice versa--in fact, he was the more consistent player. Mario made a money run the last few games; we'll see how that works out.

Young does seem dumb, but the HOF is rife with dumb QBs. Montana, Bradshaw, etc.

Minz
Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 12:45 pm:   

Well, I will say Jennings is one of only a couple WRs in the draft who stands a chance to make contribution this year. Same goes for OT Colledge. I think Whittaker (last year's 7th rounder) is going to be a solid OG this season. And Rod Gardener, with an entire offseason to get acclimated, should be solid. So offense has improved. (Okay, Gotta hope Samkon Gado can develop, or, even better, miracle of miracles, Najeh Davenport actually stays healthy for a season) Say what you like, with a suspect OL, and 7 different starting HBs, barely fielding three healthy WRs for the last 6 games, Favre didn't have a lot to work with. Yes, yes, he forces too many bad throws, and he doesn't have the players around him to cover up mistakes, blah, blah, blah. New coach. Gotta hope he gets favre in line.

On the d side, we've added two starting quality LBs outta the draft (i tell ya, I prefer Hodge over Greenway out of Iowa.) If Woodson's healthy, our d has dramatically improved (Triplett and Allen were very good pickups imho. Not pro bowlers, but they'll upgrade DT play, so suddenly, we're solid up the middle, with a very young talented LB crew--okay, no depth, but who's got depth these days).

I'm not saying we're worldbeaters, but how many SB championbship caliber teams are in the league? I realistically think there are three, and they are all in the AFC. Stay healthy, improve play throughout the season, and you'll be in the mix in the NFC. Pack are capable of that. Or, the transition to the new blocking scheme and revamped old school West Coast offense is a total flop, brett throws 32 picks, and we go 3-13. Reality's probably in the middle, but as long as we're in the NFC, esp NFC North, hope springs eternal.

Oh, and I'll just mention that repeatedly, throughout his entire career, when Brett Favre has been written off, he's delivered his finest performances... (lalalalala, I'm not listening...)

Minz
Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 12:46 pm:   

Oh, and I can't believe you didn't mention Favre vis a vis dumb QBs. You're slipping, Lucius.

LS
Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 01:05 pm:   

I said the HOF was full of dumb QBs; unless they have changed the rules for Brett, he's not there.

Your guys made some good picks, but saying they're among the few who'll impact the league....I swear, Minx. Any minute now, I expect you go into the back yard and trying to contact the mother ship. There'll be quite a few rooks making an impact.

No comment on Henderson? :-)

Minz
Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 01:59 pm:   

Wait, Brett's not already in the HoF? That's a grave injustice!!! Why Irv must be rolling in grave over such a travesty. (Almost as bad as the folks who thought the rules for eligibility should've been changed so Reggie could go in a year early, after he died. What a crock. Maybe if he had been o n his deathbed or something, and you wanted to get him in before he died, these nutjobs would've at least had a leg to stand on. But after he's already dead? What difference would a year make? He'd still be in his grave... Just so you know I may be a Koolaid drinker for the Pack, but I'm not one of them making the koolaid.)

And I only said our WR is one of the few WRs who I think will contribute this year, out of a rather weak WR class. There'll be plenty of teams relying on rookies (part of the ol' watered-down parity league you love so much, ls), and some of them will even be deserving of the playing time. And I do think Hodge & Hawk belong with the latter.

As for Henderson, a fellow offensive player for the Packers, who's won a Super Bowl with Brett, no less, hasnothing but glowing things to say about him. That's as shocking as a former teammate now playing for a rival trying to stir up controversy for his old team (ala Sharper). What's there to say? Hendu clearly has wisdom beyond his years.

LS
Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 03:17 pm:   

Hendu (is Favre known as Fa?) licks ass like a horny schnauzer, I'll say that for him...

Let's Chad Jackson and Santonio Holmes will have an impact. I don't think this a weak WR class, just an average one. I think Sinorice Moss will make an impact with the Giants. Branford Marshall ditto with Denver. I think there'll be a number or receivers who make an impact. Jennnings will be okay, but not this year. WAC receivers take a while to acclimate.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 07:36 am:   

Best moments of the draft, watching Leinart stew as he dropped to 10th place. I have a feeling he's got "bust" tatooed on his forehead.

BC-chauvinism aside, I liked the Kawianuka pick. The Jints are supposedly trying to stockpile LBs, and I can see Matthias moving from D line to OLB.

Did Marcus Vick get drafted? Please tell me he didn't...

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 07:39 am:   

Other Giants notes: did they get the best draft day bargain with Charlie Peprah in rd. 5?

Also, they definitely got the best draft day name: E. Carolina guard Guy Whimper.

LS
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 08:15 am:   

I think the bargain was Sinorice Moss, and I hate the Kiwanuka pick. He may develop, but he's way loose in the way he attacks the line, he lacks technique, and his senior year wasn't exactly stellar--it looked as if he'd lost a half step.

ls
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 08:18 am:   

Love what the jets did, though...

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 09:02 am:   

Yeah, the commentators pretty much agree that the Moss pick was a stroke of genius...

No love for Peprah? I was surprised that so many good SEC East guys went so late, DeMario Minter, D.J. Shockley...

The Jets built up their O line, but the question is: Is Pennington damaged goods already?

ls
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 11:36 am:   

Pennington isn't in the draft. Cleamons could be a great one. Peprah, Scmeprah. Nah, he's all right, but I don't see him as anything special. Same for Shockley and Minter.

Minz
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 11:40 am:   

I know none of us are Leinart fans, but I was still happy to see Detroit pass on him. Having no QB makes me happier than having a rookie qb who some think is the real deal. No risk is better than potential risk.

the worst part? Now, there's a few minicamps, and then the long boring time known as Steroid Season--oh, I mean Major League Baseball. Training camp can't come soon enough, as the bile builds watching "Lumpy" Bonds heap ignomious infamy upon MLB. YUCK!

ls
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 11:40 am:   

Wait...Stroke of genuis? Come on! The guy was sitting there, he runs a sub 4.3...Duhhh, let's get him.

LS
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 11:48 am:   

Hendu still licks ass like a horny schnauzer...

Yeah, baseboru as the Japanese say. I hope the Red Sox and the Yankees kill and eat each other tonight.

If Leinart can't make it with Denny Green and Bolden and Fitzgerald, he can't make it anywhere.

The lions will feast on the pack this year.

Minz
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 12:06 pm:   

Maybe, but I'll tell you, nobody practices harder or puts in more work than Hendu. At the end of two-a-days, he still attacks the practice dummies like they just insulted his mama. Okay, I haven't seen a practice since I moved to NYC, but when I live in WI, i'd go to training camp. And the man was a machine. A nasty, rough machine. Apparently one with no end for his capacity to kiss Brett's butt (I didn't watch coverage, merely followed online, for fear I'd rip my hair out over the idiot announcers), but I wouldn't ever, ever insult the man to his face.

Well, Leinart'd've had a whole lot of first-round WRs playing with him in Motown, but luckily not our problem. And I think we'll handle Det just fine, thank you very much.

LS
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 12:21 pm:   

You can't compare the Detroit receivers to Fitz-Bolden. Those are Pro Bowl guys.

You might be interested in what Steve Young had to say about the packers-farve. He said that the packers aren't drafting for Farve, they're just hoping that Farve can keep them afloat for another year or two, go 8-8, maybe 10-6. and they have no intention of trying to win a champeenship -- they know theyre not going to and theyre building for the future.

"Brett Farve's a great guy to take a shower with."
William Henderson

ls
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 12:27 pm:   

Regarding the idiot announcers, you might try the NFL channel -- lot more anaiysis, they show game film on the lower round picks, it real football stuff.

ls
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 04:45 pm:   

Brett Basanez of NW sighned with the Ravens... Good pick up. Marcus Vick remained unsigned.

Josh Rountree
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 09:43 am:   

My guess is, Vick will remain unsigned until the AFL starts calling.

Minz
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 06:42 am:   

Hey Dave!
What can you tell me about Blackmon? e.g. why did they switch him from db to wr his senior year? is he a legit homerun threat as a returner? what kind of player--more just an athlete, or does he have serious football instincts?

Oh, and Lucius, what about Ingle Martin? I know Zook benched him in favor of frosh Leak, even though Martin was outperforming him (Martin was a Spurrier recruit), but he looks like the real deal. Supposedly had the most velocity of all the QBs at the combine. And he's got absolutely no pressure, and one of the better qb gurus in the NFL as a head coach. I can't wait to see him and Rodgers battling it out.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 08:05 am:   

Minz, sorry to say, but I don't have the depth of insight into BC that most of you guys do into your alma maters! I have read that Blackmon is a decent developmental pick-up and will leave a big roster hole for O'Brien to fill, but that's about as much intel as I could provide.

Ls
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 02:23 pm:   

i hear blackmon likes sailors in string cheese bikinis.

as for martin, he was a serviceable QB at fla, but was able to develop moreat furman and had a good combine. Good arm, not entirely immobile. Smells like career backup.LL

ls
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 08:27 pm:   

Leak was not being outperformed by martin, believe me.

Minz
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 09:35 am:   

I kinda figured that was draftspin (outperforming leak, that is), though we are talking about just the first four games of leaks career, before he was installed as "the guy", and I vaguely recall Leak being a little all over the place his first year, though clearly just oozing major potential, with the expected uneven performances at that young stage.

Blackmon was BC's leading receiver his senior year (only year he was WR--moved over because two starters had graduated). Has very good size and speed. pre-draft was projected as WR, but packers are talking about using him as corner. We'll see...

ls
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 11:23 am:   

Yup. even the first few games, it was clear Leak was the guy....

William Lexner
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 05:47 am:   

All I know is, if you're drafting a player from BC not named Flutie, he ought to be an offensive lineman.

Kiwanuka looked great as a junior but dissapeared this year. In his defense, he was injured in a blinside attack, but still -- not first round material.

Jeremy Trueblood will be the best BC product of this draft.

Blackmon has great speed, but he needs coaching and lots of reps in whichever position they intend to use him.

ls
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 09:04 am:   

Kiwanuka's gonna have to put onweight and that may diminish his explosiveness

Minz
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 09:38 am:   

Thanks, William. I found a pretty thorough scouting report on Blackmon over on CBS Sportsline (most thorough scouting reports of all the major sites--though it's from just one single scout, as far as I can tell). He projected Blackmon as a receiver, saying he had a lot to learn about the position, then breaking down a bunch of different skills. And as I read the skills breakdown, i kept thinking, yeah, he'd need to work on that to be a better WR, but that's how a db plays the game. It sounds like Blackmon has more natural db tendencies than WR. We shall see.

The best part about Blackmon isn't just speed, but pretty good size to go with it.

Wish it was training camp starting today, not just minicamp. SIGH...

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 12:44 pm:   

I don't know what it is, but BC seems to churn out a lot of good NFL linemen. Must have good position coaches.

ls
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 01:04 pm:   

.....or a lot of big dumb irishmen...

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 04:50 pm:   

Hey, I don't see any Nobel prizes in the Canes locker room, either...

ls
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 05:54 pm:   

you do, however, see a bunch of NC trophies,,,

Your serve... :-)

ls
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 07:03 pm:   

you do, however, see a bunch of NC trophies,,,

Your serve... :-)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register