Lucius, have you heard this? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » Lucius, have you heard this? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

jk
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 06:12 pm:   

I've had this for awhile, just wondering if you've ever heard it, as the Paul Schutze track is inspired by one of your short stories.

Paul Schutze 'seribu aso'
Voice Of Eye 'siddhartha'
Robert Rich 'Starmaker'
Total Time: 55:37
Paul Schutze, Robert Rich, Voice of Eye
Narratives: Music For Fiction
cd

Three artists contributing extremly long, exclusive tracks designed specifically for this project: music based on specific pieces of fiction. The Paul Schütze track 'Seribu Aso' weaves his trademark percussion and spooky textural sweeps, illuminating the altered conciousness of characters in the story 'Kalimantan' by Lucius Shepard. The Voice of Eye is 'Siddhartha', a 26 minute long journey divided into three distinct sections, each with its own arrangement and mood, with a climactic conclusion nearing epiphany. The Robert Rich, 'Starmaker' is four seperate movements covering a 22 minute period, a fantastic journey through space and time inspired by Olaf Stapledons 1937 tale of what was then called; "speculative fiction". A spellbinding release rich with all the elements that make these artists so remarkable.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 07:33 pm:   

Yup, he sent me a copy back in the 90s. It was a very cool piece. I've still got it, though it would take me a while to put my hands on it....Lots of CDs.

jk
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 07:44 pm:   

Yeah, I really like Paul Schutze's stuff. Too bad he seems to have stopped putting out cds. I think he's been putting everything up on his website for free. Anyway, some of his other stuff would make a great soundtrack to some of the stories in The Jaguar Hunter. His ambient, tribal textural pieces with that humid, jungle-type vibe would be perfect for some of the stuff out of Jaguar Hunter if they ever made a movie out of them. Too bad the lame-o's in Hollywood are too creatively bankrupt to think of it.
Anyone who likes Brian Eno and Holger Czukay should give Paul Schutze a try!

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 07:59 pm:   

Schutze would make good soundtracks. There was another band from that era whose music would be be good for movies -- Shinjuku Thief. I wonder if they're still around?

jk
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 09:15 pm:   

Yeah, Shinjuki Thief, you've got some good taste in music! That album on Extreme was really good, Bloody Tourist, and it was produced by Schutze. One of the members is still around, Darrin Verhagen runs the Dorobo label out of Australia. There was a trio of Shinjuki Thief albums on the label, The Witch Hunter, The Witch Hammer, and The Witch Haven, all more gothic ambient type stuff, not really the ethno-ambient rock of Bloody Tourist, but still interesting. There were some Verhagen solo albums and related stuff on the label that I haven't heard yet. I have a cd called Night Passage on Dorobo that is pretty cool too, it's remixes of Alan Lamb pieces. Lamb recorded raw wire footage from electical poles in Australia, and the remixes are by Ryoji Ikeda, Thomas Koner, Lustmord and Bernarhd Gunter. The Gunter I can kind of do without, his cds can be 75% complete silence with a few crackling sounds appearing here and there. It goes a little too far even for me.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 09:56 pm:   

Yeah, Bloody Tourist was a great album. I actually am writing a novella called Bloody Tourist, the title so appealed to me. I also one of the witch albums, the first I believe. Haven't heard the rest.

MarcL
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 10:51 pm:   

Okay then...Holger Czukay is a perennial favorite of mine. A new quest begins!

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 06:18 am:   

Has On the Way to the Peak of Normal ever come out on CD? (Forgive me if I botched the title...It's the one with "Ode to Perfume" on it.)

Bruce
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 08:09 am:   

A new novella called 'Bloody Tourist'? Way cool. Will this one be set in Trujillo?

Lucius
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 08:20 am:   

Naw, I doubt it...Maybe. But right now it looks as if I got too much to do in order to finish it in time.

jk
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 10:10 am:   

Yeah, On The Way To The Peak Of Normal has come out on cd on Spoon.

MarcL
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 01:31 pm:   

Yep, Amazon has that, Dave.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register