Good Movies 29 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » Good Movies 29 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 08:34 pm:   

Will do.

I've just discovered that Renee Zelwegger has been cast as Janis Joplin in a new biopic about her life. I'm sorry but I just don't see it, a meek, mouse like girl playing one of the most powerful female figures of her generation, this just makes no sense whatsoever.

In other strange news, I've just heard that John Sayles has been hired to direct the new Jurrasic park movie, oh well, at least he will get a decent pay for once.
   By Lucius on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 08:15 pm:

The Zellwegger thing has a backstory. Apparently she claims to have been channeling Janis and reputedly she does a very credible imitation of her vocal style. She also comes from that part of Texas...So she might be able to pull it off, in a demented way.

Yeah, Sayles....Maybe the dinosaurs will wear pork pie hats and cheat at cards and tell stories about the stegosaurus down the block.
   By Stephen on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 01:42 am:

Yes, that Cyclo.
   By Dave G. on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 06:33 am:

Hey, if the Fresh Prince of Bel Air can play Ali, anything is possible...
   By Minz on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 06:52 am:

Well Fresh Prince had the brash, egotripping thing down long before playing Ali. All he needed to do was get the physical part down.

Zellwegger as Joplin? We'll see. She might be able to pull this off.

Sayles doing a Jurassic Park film; it boggles the mind. I'll probably have to go see that.
   By Lucius on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 07:07 am:

It's called Jurassic Park Slope.
   By Nathan on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 07:30 am:

Sayles is just returning to his roots is all; don't forget he got his start with Roger Corman.
   By Robert on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 07:31 am:

Sayles & Jurassic Park...an interesting combo. Will it be Jurassic Park IV: Dinosaurs with Guns?
   By Dave G. on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 07:35 am:

If anyone can make dinos dull, it's Sayles. Maybe they'll all sit around a campfire and squawk folk songs, their hoots and honks and squeals blending into a sublime music of the spheres... The Return of the Cetaceous Seven...
   By Lucius on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 10:21 am:

I take it you've seen one Sayles movie...
   By minz on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 10:27 am:

Hey, I enjoyed both Secret of Roan Inish and Lone Star, even if they were...slow.

And you know it'll have a John Williams score
   By Lucius on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 10:27 am:

And that would be Cretacious. Cetaceous would refer to whales.
   By Robert on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 10:49 am:

I enjoyed Lone Star and Men With Guns. Never saw Roan Inish.

Cetaceous Seven could fit in well with all the killer shark and octopus movies sci-fi channel shows.
   By Lucius on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 11:04 am:

I liked those films as well. You gotta admire Sayles, he's had plenty of chances to sell out and stay there, but he keeps coming back to indie film.
   By Dave G. on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 11:50 am:

Seen three Sayles movies. In all fairness, THE BROTHER FROM ANOTHER PLANET was not awful. LONE STAR was simply dull. MATEWAN, well.... Not the man I would pick to handle dinosaurs. I stand corrected on "cretaceous," although given JS's feel for action, it may end up being a bit "cetaceous" at that!
   By Lucius on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 12:02 pm:

I suspect Steven Seagal would have to bite the head off a midget for Sayles to succeed in yr eyes....
   By Dave G. on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 12:38 pm:

It couldn't hurt.
   By Dave G. on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 02:21 pm:

By Stephen on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 03:20 pm:

Remember seeing Eight Men Out when I was around seven or eight. My dad was into it. I followed it till the end and remember being upset with how some of the characters ended up.

Which do you think are his best movies?
   By MarcL on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 04:21 pm:

CYCLO is a great movie. Not quite your typical gangster fare. One of my favorite "gangster" movies is STATE OF GRACE.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100685/
   By Lucius on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 04:33 pm:

Men with Guns is my favorite.
   By Lucius on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 05:36 pm:

Saw a couple of previews with the movie today. V For Vendetta which looked pretty bad, with the Wachowski Bros. And the American remake of Pulse which looked like...the American remake of Pulse.
   By Robert on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 06:34 pm:

I saw A History of Violence tonight. From the reviews I read, I was expecting something deeper. It was ok, but didn't seem as great as many made it out to be.

I also found it disconcerting because the music sounded like Lord of the Rings outtakes. I find similarities in all of Shore's music, but the similarities seemed too extreme here, like he was actively trying to sound like LotR.
   By PM on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 06:51 pm:

It's a matter of comparison. I suppose if one is having to review ALL of the Hollywood films then HoV is easily one of the better films of the year.

Unless you're Spielburgled (the critics that is) by War of the Whatever.
   By Lucius on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 08:30 pm:

It was the Emperor's New Clothes -- It's Cronenberg so it must be deep.

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 06:27 am:   

Whoops. Didn't see the new thread.

I enjoyed H0V, mostly for the performances, but didn't think it was anything so terribly special. I thought Viggo was decent, Ed Harris I can watch in anything, and Cronenberg got the best work out of William Hurt I've seen in a long long time. The high school bully stuff seemed straight out of an "ABC Afterschool Special"; does even the biggest dick at school get THAT upset because someone catches a fly ball in gym class? DC has a real way with sex scenes...I thought the scene with Viggo and Bello on the stairs was kind of disturbing. I also liked the way he ended it. Good, but in a year of good movies, I doubt HoV would have really been noticed.

Robert
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 08:20 am:   

Has Cronenberg ever done a sex scene that wasn't kind of disturbing?

In HoV, there wasn't any doubt that Viggo really was "Joey". But this lack of doubt is a problem in many movies. You never wonder if the problem really is just in someone's head, it's always real in the film. It might have been more interesting if the mobsters really were mistaken and he was just a normal guy.

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 11:58 am:   

I thought it was kinda odd that the mobsters sought this guy out for murders he had committed in the past and had no trouble finding him, yet not one lawman tried to bring him in, even though I'm sure the Feds watch the Philly mob. Kind of strange.

Disturbing sex scenes: James Woods and Debbie Harry and a razor blade in VIDEODROME; James Spader and Debra Kara Unger in CRASH...

PM
Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 10:52 am:   

Over on #28 the subject of geeks has arisen.

Some consider calling themselves a geek as a badge of honor. It is at it's heart though an insult.

kellys
Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 02:12 pm:   

Dave G.: "James Woods and Debbie Harry and a razor blade in VIDEODROME..." I believe it was with a needle, as Woods was, err, piercing Miss Harry.

Watched Sympathy for Lady Vengeance last night (my first all-region DVD player experience), Chan-Wook's final Revenge film. Beautifully directed, photographed, and acted, but without the hit-you-with-a-truck emotional payoffs of Oldboy. More of an intellectual, subtle take on the revenge film, but still with plenty of Park's trademark perversity and violence. Certainly the most elegant film of the trilogy, at time it feels downright magical.

PM
Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 05:04 pm:   

Harry probably didn't mind.

Seems like I recall a Blondie video with a touch of necrophilia...at one time she had a taste for the edge.

Robert
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 08:09 am:   

I've finally completely given up on Masters of Horror. The Dante episode was OK, but hasn't convinced me to watch any more episodes.

The Lovecraft films and Annabel Lee arrived today, so I know what I'll be watching tonight.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 08:25 am:   

I have the second Lovecraft collection, which has the Britsh series pilot for Rough Magic, but haven't looked at it yet. Too much work...

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 12:57 pm:   

Watch THE CORPORATION on Sundance Channel today. What a film! Fascinating and important. Every living human should see it. Six stars!!!

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 01:00 pm:   

I've watched pretty much every Masters of Horror thus far. the only good episodes were the "Zombies march on DC" episode, with razor-sharp parody of Ann Coulter; and the one in which the guy hunts for the legendary "lost" film that drives audiences insane with Udo Kier. this week's segment by Lucky McKee was pretty bad. All in all, kind of lackluster...

Lucius
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 01:01 pm:   

Yeah, I agree...though it didn't say much new, it showed the nature of the beast wonderfully well.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 09:55 pm:   

Do you remember Central Station, Walter Salles' movie about an elderly woman who worked as a letter writer in the central commuter station of Rio De Janeiro? The woman who starred in it, Fernanda Montengra, was nominated for an Oscar (she lost to Julia Roberts) and I've been looking for another movie starring her ever since. Found one. A terrific thriller called The Other Side of the Street. She plays Regina, a 65 yr old woman who's part of Senior Service, a kind of Neighborhood Watch thing, who sees a man apparently giving a fatal shot to a woman in a window across the street. It turns out the man, a govt official, was assisting the suicide of his cancer-riddled wife. The detective who she's been giving tips to fires her because she got him in trouble. But that's just the beginning...Written and directed by Marcos Bernstein, who wrote Central Station. Really cool movie.

Robert
Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 06:30 am:   

The Lovecraft DVDs...
Vol I: Cool Air was pretty good, more true to the original story than the adaptation in Necronomicon. The shorts were OK, but had a student film feel.

Vol II: Rough Magic was OK, it definitely had a British TV show feel. A continuation of it in a TV series would have been interesting, too much of this was setup for continuation. Again the shorts were OK, but had a student film feel. I'd rather have student films of them than crappy Hollywood adaptations.

Annabel Lee: Beautiful animation/puppetry, but it stretched the poem far beyond recognition.

I finally got Death & the Compass from Greencine. Maybe I'll have time for it this weekend.

JTS
Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 07:21 pm:   

Watched The Beautiful Country, an interesting if slightly flawed film by director Hans Petter Moland ( Aberdeen, Zero Kelvin) about the son of an American GI (Nick Nolte) and an Vietnamese woman. Living as a pariah in postwar Vietnam, he begins a journey to find his father, who fled without a trace just after his birth.

While Sabina Murrays screenplay can be quite sentimental, it does provide an interesting view on cultural perspecive as well as well as an interesting view of America from an outsider and how that view changes as dreams collide with reality.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 08:52 pm:   

I saw Zero Kelvin -- I have a thing for movies set in Greenland, and this was really good. A fine Stellan Skaarsgaard performance.

JTS
Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 09:27 pm:   

Have you seen Aberdeen, I think it would be something you would like.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 10:07 pm:   

No, I haven't--I'll pick it up

JTS
Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 10:55 pm:   

Is anyone planning on seeing Michael Haneke (I think that's how you spell his name) new film.

StephenB
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 02:43 am:   

Saw Grizzly Man a few days ago. You guys were right. Treadwell comes across as a fruit cake. Not at all like my initial romantic notion. Still, there were some nice scenes with the foxes and stuff.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 04:06 am:   

I am as soon as it plays Portland. High on my list.

Stephen, foxes are nice. :-)

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 06:18 am:   

I was sad when that little guy got killed. :-(

Stephen
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 01:48 pm:   

Which one?:-)

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 01:55 pm:   

The fox, I mean...

StephenB
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 01:57 pm:   

To his credit, I still think he had a weird sort of balls which borders on the suicidal. He gets close enough to touch em, and stays pretty cool...

Stephen
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 03:06 pm:   

Or is that to his credit...:-)

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, January 20, 2006 - 06:35 am:   

A cool guy would touch 'em and know when to get the hell out. Hanging around until they get hungry enough to eat you...not cool.

Robert
Posted on Friday, January 20, 2006 - 10:38 am:   

Bad news for anyone still watching Masters of Horror. According to the New York Times, Takashi Miike's episode won't be shown. Apparently Showtime objected to parts of it involving dead fetuses.

Instead of Miike's episode, they'll be showing a Clive Barker adapdation directed by John McNaughton.

At least Miike fans will get a chance to watch it on DVD.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/19/arts/television/19horr.html?ex=1295326800&en=8 4baa9f9c0fa31fe&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss

Lucius
Posted on Friday, January 20, 2006 - 10:43 am:   

Shit. That was the only one I was going to watch. Saw a highly hyped indie Horror flick called Sonata last night.
Not so much. Kind of disappointing though it had some creepy moments.

MarcL
Posted on Friday, January 20, 2006 - 11:47 am:   

I can read Dave's comment as a PSA:

"A cool guy touches grizzlies and knows when to get the hell out. Hanging around until they get hungry enough to eat you...not cool."

THE MORE YOU KNOW!

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, January 20, 2006 - 12:04 pm:   

Based on what I've seen so far of that show (like, every episode), Masters of Horror could use about three or four truckloads of dead fetuses. AND Steven Seagal chewing the head off a midget.

Does this mean Showtime will have to change its motto from "No Limits" to "No Limits Unless Someone Gets Upset"...?

StephenB
Posted on Friday, January 20, 2006 - 02:01 pm:   

I haven't been watchin MOH. Last episode I saw was Sam's, which was funny.

A cool guy would touch 'em and know when to get the hell out. Hanging around until they get hungry enough to eat you...not cool.

Yeah, you'd think he'd clue in after seeing the devoured bodies of cubs when food's short. He was clearly delusional -- possibly wanted to die that way...

PM
Posted on Friday, January 20, 2006 - 03:26 pm:   

Maybe Miike's episode will go straight to DVD.

"I beg you. Let not America go wrong in her first hour." Then the hams fell from the sky lest anyone miss the message.

PM
Posted on Friday, January 20, 2006 - 05:32 pm:   

*Steven Seagal alert*

USA Networks purveyors of quality home entertainment will be premiering Submerged featuring action star legend Steven Seagal this Jan 29th at 9 PM EST.

More details at:

http://www.usanetwork.com/movies/submerged/index.html

Nathan
Posted on Friday, January 20, 2006 - 08:43 pm:   

The Miike news pisses me off. I don't know why I'm surprised. He's a very inconsistent filmmaker, but Christ, when he's on ... Has anyone seen "The Box," from the anthology movie Three ... Extremes? Remarkably beautiful.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, January 20, 2006 - 09:16 pm:   

Miike admits to his inconsistency. He makes less good movies on purposes, shooting in a week or thereabouts.
And takes more time on stuff like Kakaturis and Audition.
I met him briefly at the SIFF a few years ago. Very cool guy.

Nathan
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 12:49 pm:   

Have you seen his time-traveling samurai tale, IZO? I'm debating whether or not I should pick it up.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 01:11 pm:   

I thought Masters of Horror was pretty good this week. Larry Cohen's dueling serial-killer piece had the wonderful Fairuza Balk and a delightfully deranged Michael Moriarty as a travelling psycho whose big rig is a rolling abattoir. One of the best installments yet.

Lori Petty was featured in "The Fair-Haired Child" a few weeks back. I was watching POINT BREAK on Spike and noted that Petty really looks 15 years older nowadays, while Keanu Reaves looks exactly the same. For some reason, I found this highly bizarre and unsettling.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 01:11 pm:   

No, I haven't seen it. I'm not likely too, either. Time-traveling samurais just aren't my thing. :-)

kellys
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 01:44 pm:   

I tried IZO, but turned it off midway through. Too much blood and gore and style, not enough story. I should know better with Miike.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 07:06 pm:   

Saw a good Polish thriller tonight, kind of Hitchcocky thing, When I Close My Eyes, about a young woman who works in the PO when it's robbed and tries to hide her own theft using it as a cover.

PM
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 07:35 pm:   

Don't you think that it's Petty's makeup though?

I thought Petty was fun in Tank Girl. It's a silly film and if one expects not a whole much more than silliness then it delivers.

And Ice-T is adorable :-)

PM
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 09:07 pm:   

Oh yeah and that new Seagal film, "Submerged" supposedly has mutant sea monsters so I suppose this makes it genre-worthy.

Review this!

Guy kicked backwards falls through glass.

ben peek
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 10:17 pm:   

Have you seen his time-traveling samurai tale, IZO?

no, but it's on the list. unlike lucius, time-traveling samurais might very well be my thing :-)

actually, i haven't seen any miike films. are there good places to start, or should i just try my luck with the time traveling samurai and go from there?

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 06:32 am:   

Mutant sea monsters? Not in the version I saw! Psychotic South American mind-control doctors looking to take over the world, yes, but sea monsters, no. Unless you count Seagal in a sub, that is.

Nathan
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 06:49 am:   

Ben, with Miike it's a tough call. He's just all over the place. I'd recommend AUDITION. Late next month I understand THREE EXTREMES (a short-film anthology)will be released in the US on DVD, and his installment, called THE BOX, is beautiful work.

ICHI THE KILLER is very popular amongst his fans, though I haven't seen it yet. Ultraviolent Yakuza story, from what I understand. Last night I saw HAPPINESS OF THE KATAKURIS for the first time and, um ... musical numbers! Dancing corpses! Live action intercut with claymation! Bizarre and pretty damn inspired.

Hell, start with AUDITION. It's readily available and very, very good.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 07:06 am:   

Happiness of the Katakuris is my favorite. Bird People Of China is also good.

I can take or leave his yakuza films. Fugusaku made the best yakuza movies hands down -- the six films that make up the Yakuza Papers are great. Miike's are more violent, but essentially he treats the genre as if it were a joke.

As opposed to his time-traveling samurai movies, of course.

The man makes 7, 8 movies a year, and freely admits that most of them are for shit.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 08:01 am:   

Has anybody seen any of the MPD Psycho series?

The Miike installment of THREE EXTREMES was OK, but I wouldn't recommend the film overall.

PM
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 02:40 pm:   

Regarding "Submerged" the USA website says:

"Things look bleak for the sub, which is being attacked on all sides by traitors from within the US ranks and a host of mutated sea creatures at the bottom of the ocean."

The description may be wrong but one has to admit that "mutated sea creatures" is a step into "genre".

ben peek
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 04:26 pm:   

cool, thanks nathan, lucius. i'll have a hunt for AUDITION and HAPPINESS...

i had heard he made a lot of films a year, though not the crap part. i just assumed the crap part. so i sorta avoided him for that reason. the only film of his i've seen round down here is ICHI THE KILLER. bound to be more, though.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 05:27 pm:   

As with anything, it's a matter of taste. Some of his yakuza films aren't bad, but I've seen so many good ones, Miike's don't interest me.

MarcL
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 07:17 pm:   

Miike has also been doing a series of 20 minutes films as part of a promotional campaign for a Playstation2 Yakuza game. The game is supposed to be fantastic. I could only watch about 10 minutes of the first movie before I gave up on it...tedious.

Hey, back on the long-ago subject of THE THREE BURIALS OF MELQUIADES ESTRADA, the latest issue of Creative Screenwriting (Jan/Feb) features a short interview with the screenwriter, Guillermo Arriaga (21 Grams). It's pretty interesting, and covers the whole story of how he and Tommy Lee Jones got together. "They quickly realized they shared the same tastes: Godard, Kurosawa, and Cormac McCarthy...." It's a short article, easily readable if you've got three minutes to browse through a newsstand...

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 08:43 pm:   

I'll look for it. As for Three Burials...pretty good movie. Stays with you.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 06:29 am:   

Hmmm, well that's not the SUBMERGED I saw. If you see a version with mutated sea creatures, I'll trade ya.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 06:42 am:   

It's on USA Sunday. Perhaps PM mistook the newly adipose Seagall for a sea creature.

Robert
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 06:59 am:   

I'll accept that Seagall could be a mutated sea creature.

I tried watching Death & the Compass last night. Maybe I wasn't in the mood for it, it just didn't pique my interest at all. It had a kind of "made for TV movie" feel to it. Not what I hope for in a Borges adaptation.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 07:10 am:   

Off the subject of Borges, have you seen Arturo Ripstein's adaptation of the Marquez story, "No one Writes to the Colonel?" A happier adaptation, I've heard. Haven't seen it myself, but I loved Ripstein's Deep Crimson, which was based on the Honeymoon Killers case.

Robert
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 07:20 am:   

I haven't seen it. I haven't seen anything by Ripstein yet.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 07:33 am:   

Well, I can testify that Deep Crimson was a very disturbing movie for me--the banality of evil it conveyed was extremely affecting.

PM
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 03:52 pm:   

I haven't seen Submerged but the link I posted earlier goes to the USA website which describes the film.

Just can't get folk to follow the link...glad I'm not in the spam business.

Well what should I expect from a flock of Seagal lovers???

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 05:16 pm:   

PM, we believe you...no need to confirm. It's just odd because I don't recall anything like that. Maybe somebody on imdb was just having a little netgeek joke.

Frankly, Seagal would do well to investigate incorporating some supernatural elements into his next films...a cut-rate PREDATOR knock-off would float my boat.

jk
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 07:22 pm:   

Seagal, what a fat talentless moron. His "production company" Steamroller requested my screenplay in 2004. Of course they passed on it, because it's different from the usual shite they put out. He would have been lucky to get it. Oh well, he would have wrecked it anyway. Of course I would have swallowed my pride and taken the check though, haha.

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 06:19 am:   

Would it be asking you to reveal trade secrets if I inquired what it was about?

jk
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 10:21 am:   

It was about a man who travels back in time to try to kill Adolf Hitler. It has some occult elements.

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 10:26 am:   

Well, I would have bought it!

jk
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 10:44 am:   

Thanks! No one else seems interested. I have no contacts or relatives in the industry, so it's hard to get read, especially considering that 95% of the companies out there won't accept unsolicited screenplays. I took out the time travel element, and had the character attempt to kill Himmler instead (I retained the occult stuff), and Luc Bessons's prodco asked to see it. However, it's been three months, and they aren't answering my polite email to inquiry whether they've read it yet. Argh! I hate these companies!
And if they pass on it I'm back to banging my head against the wall trying to get someone to read it.

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 01:40 pm:   

I think Seagal passed because, to play an assassin in 1940s Germany, he would have had to cut his hair and probably slim down. There weren't many pudgy sensei's hanging around the Reichstag; he surely would have attracted attention. Although the Nazis were heavily into the occult and that would have dovetailed nicely with the running thread in Seagal's films (MARKED FOR DEATH, TODAY YOU DIE).

And his initials are SS.

Hang in there. I wouldn't want to have to eke out a living in that business. At least you're getting in the door places.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 01:52 pm:   

jk, if all else fails, you might try updating the script to some contemporary peril, ie, the middle east. Lot of that getting greenlighted now.

jk
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 02:10 pm:   

Actually, that's a good idea. I'm updating to a U.S. near-future in which "national security" has gotten out of control and it's a near fascist state. The word "Nazi" in my query seems to throw up red flags for these companies, and they don't want to look at it. Not sure why, but that's what another "professional" screenwriter told me. So I'm going to try to update it to near-future U.S. and see if I get any bites!

As for Seagal, I'm not even sure why they asked to see it. Some stooge in his office requested it, maybe he thought Seagal would make a good Nazi. He he. Supposedly he was a reputation for being a difficult person to deal with, but most of them are, aren't they, with those gigantic egos?

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 02:21 pm:   

Seagal might be interested in that future fascist state. He's already done a RED DAWN "occupied America" movie with THE PATRIOT. That might be right up his alley. Any parts for disillusioned scientist-turned-holistic-healer-herbalist-with-martial-arts-background in there?

Someone should do a near-future America movie where the U.S. has become a destitute Third World dust bowl, ruled by religious oligarchs and populated by a class of functional zombies unable to focus on any but the simplest tasks for more than a few minutes at a time.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 02:33 pm:   

People ask to see things in Hwood because it's their job to ask for things, Period. It's as simple and irrational as that.

Hitchcock said it, Seagals are cattle. :-)

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 04:45 pm:   

Watched a terrific French policier called 36 Quai Des Ofevres, which is the address of Paris police HQ. It's based on a story from the 80s, when the Paris police consisted of two elements, the OCU and BRI, which were often at odds. The film concetrates on two detectives, Leo Vrinks (daniel autiel) and Dennis Klein (Gerard Depardieu), their battle to becone chief of police, that continues for years after that prize has been won by one of them.

Of course it's not as good as the other movie called Quai des Ofevres, dir by Henri Cluzot (Wages of Fear, Diabolique), which is Cluzot's best film...but it's worth a look.

jk
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 05:33 pm:   

That's not the same film called Police, in English, is it? I remember a French policier called Police that came out in the 80's that had Depardieu in it, can't remember if Autiel was in it, but it was pretty good.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 05:57 pm:   

No, this a 2004 film, won a bunch of French Oscars, including Best Actor and Best Picture.

MarcL
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 10:56 pm:   

Cluzot's best film and I've never heard of it, let alone seen it. Sad. Library doesn't have it either. They have his film about Picasso though. I haven't seen that.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 04:22 am:   

I'm surprised they don't have it -- it's on a Criterion disc. Maybe you can suggest they add it to their list. Have you seen Le Corbeau?

Lucius
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 06:08 am:   

Saw Trauma, a decent Brit thriller starring Colin Firth as a man who's been in a coma and who believes his wife is dead, with a downer ending, which I liked. Also saw Aberdeen, which was brilliany--outstanding perf by Stellan Skarsgaard. And Everything with Ray Winstone, perhaps his best performance, a movie whose premise is that a man visits a hooker nine straight days without demanding sex. Jan Graveson is marvelous as the hooker, and Richard Hawkins is a hell of a director. Fell asleep during Submerged.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 07:08 am:   

Did you at least have sweet Seagal dreams?

Lucius
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 07:12 am:   

No dreams. Dreamless, exhausted sleep...Thank God.

Robert
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 07:40 am:   

I saw the last half of Submerged. They were already off the sub when I tuned it. My first thought was "Is that really him, or just somebody in a Seagal mask?" Then I realized he looked weird because he was wearing a rug. Does he think people wouldn't want to see a balding middle aged man beating up people?

I also watched Fausto 5.0. The subtitles were laughably bad. "My name is Vella, spelled with one l." Umm, so if there's only one l, why is it always written with 2? But the next time the name is spelled, they specify it's with two l's. Nevermind that Vella and Vela would be pronounced very differently, and they definitely mean it's supposed be pronounced like Vela.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 07:51 am:   

Oops. Didn't bother with the subtitles, Spanish being the only other language in which I'm conversant.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 07:58 am:   

Hey, I wanna watch a balding 50-year old guy beating up people!

I saw part of HELLBOY on TV this weekend. Great monsters, cut could anybody make heads or tails of what in the hell was going on? Same with UNDERWORLD. Both of these movies would have been 300% better if their screenwriters had just remembered to Keep It Simple, Stupid.

Robert
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 08:21 am:   

I'm not fluent enough in Spanish to get by without the subtitles. Beyond the necessities, I remember very little.

I'd like to watch a balding 50 year old beating up people too.

Was there a plot in Underworld? I think I missed that part of the film. Hellboy at least had a plot (a bad one), but I was most amused at forgetting one of the characters in the final scenes (and he's only remembered in the credits).

Lucius
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 08:21 am:   

Underworld was garbage. It wasn't even fun on a camp level. I didn't care what was going on. You couldn't have saved that movie with a script transplant. Seeing Ron Perlman do his existential demon thing was fun, but I found the rest worthless.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 09:49 am:   

Underworld may have been garbage, but it did have Kate in the Suit. That's money in the bank.

I read somewhere that she won a couple of WH Smith's writing contests in the UK. Is her writing available anywhere? Is it any good?

Lucius
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 10:20 am:   

Kate in the suit....? I've got as many hormones as the next guy, but watching Anorexia say lines like, "I am a Deathdealer" made want to cry.

"Is her writing available anywhere? Is it any good?"

Oh, I bet it is! :-)

Robert
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 10:23 am:   

I'd rather watch Kate in Haunted. At least that has a plot (although it may be a body double).

ben peek
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 01:26 pm:   

man, kate is just bad in all her films. UNDERWORLD was just awful on so many levels--it would've benefitted with a fifty year old pudgy bald man to take them on. i shouldn't be shocked that there's a sequel.

i didn't mind HELLBOY. i thought it was a solid film, and perlman was cool. it flew out of your head a moment later, but that's okay. the best thing that the director has done was THE DEVIL'S BACKBONE, and even that wasn't fantastic. just solid and watchable.

jk
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 01:38 pm:   

Del Toro's next film is supposed to be HPL's At the Mountains of Madness, right? That might be cool.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 02:12 pm:   

According to imdb, del Toro has three movies in the works. Pan's Labyrinth, which is in the can. Halo, from the video game (in talks), and Hellboy 2: The Golden Army. Given his resume and what Ben said about his abilities, which I believe is accurate, I'd just as soon he kept his hands off Lovecraft.

Robert
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 02:44 pm:   

Cronos wasn't bad either. But I don't expect he'd do anything decent with Lovecraft.

Halo makes me sad. Peter Jackson producing? Del Toro directing? A video game adaptation seems like a few steps down for both of them. It puts them in the same territory as Uwe Boll.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 02:48 pm:   

I'm sadder about Jackson, but when he decided to make Kong, before I saw the finished product, I knew he was gone.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 04:52 pm:   

One thing re: Underworld; it did have Bill Nighy, so it wasn't all bad.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 06:08 pm:   

Bill Nighy....Yes, good. But his positive was cancelled by the overuse of blue filters which made the movie look like a monochrome comic book...

JTS
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 06:14 pm:   

Watched an interesting french film called The Ax, which was O.K. but suffered from the fact that there have been a lot of corporate satires made over the last few years, and it doesn't offer anything really new, although it does play it fairly straight as opposed to the sort of tongue-in-cheek way these movies are generally done, with a nice performance by Jose Garcia as the father of two children whom after being unemployed for two years after being made redundant, hatches a plan to get his job back by eliminating his competitors.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 06:30 pm:   

When's the Proposition come out on DVD? Any idea?

JTS
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 06:45 pm:   

It's currently set to be released in March.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 06:53 pm:   

Thanks. I can't wait, How was Winstone in it?

Mark Williams Pontin
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 06:54 pm:   

The Ax sounds like a French adaption of Donald Westlake's novel, the AXE. Is that the case?

JTS
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 07:36 pm:   

Very good, it's very much Winstone's movie, essentially Guy Pearce's character isn't in it all that much, until the end.

Yes, The Ax is based on Westlakes novel, though I am not sure how faithful it is to the novel as I haven't read it.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 08:31 pm:   

Man, I got to have that DVD. I'm going to Honduras in a a week or so. Probably be gone most of March. But if you know of Mail Order site or somewhere I can order it, leave a message here, okay? Thanks.

MarcL
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 09:29 pm:   

Del Toro also supposedly wants to do a new WIND IN THE WILLOWS. I'd rather that than MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS, and I really felt that despite the horrible script, Del Toro himself was responsible for some quite Lovecraftian moments in MIMIC.

JTS
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 10:16 pm:   

Lucius: The only place I can think of at the moment is Video Ezy DVD, you can access the site at http://videoezydvd.com.au/ although it's priced at 39.95 Australian Dollars (About 31.00 American Dollars ) I might be able to get it a bit cheaper so I'll keep looking.

Hope this helps

JTS
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 10:25 pm:   

Actually this is the better link, it takes you dirctly to the pre-order page for the proposition
http://videoezydvd.com.au/buy_dvd_info.asp?iid=29804

jk
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 12:51 am:   

Anyone seen the short film Zoetrope directed by Charlie Deaux? Here's description on the back cover: "Zoetrope is a haunting and explosively surreal film set in an apocalyptic, decaying world. Based on Kafka's "The Penal Colony", a man is imprisoned for an unnamed crime and tortured by a nameless sadistic bureaucrat. As the chilling nightmare unfolds the prisoner peels away the layers of his own metaphysical existence, inching ever closer to his inescapable fate."
I bought it because Lustmord/Brian Williams does the music and sound design. It's pretty cool, if you're a fan of Eraserhead, Brothers Quay, etc you might like it. It's not really violent or disturbing, as the description might suggest, but filled with lots of surreal imagery and cool drones. It almost seems alchemical or magical in some strange way. It's pretty out there and unique, and the sound design is excellent.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 06:40 am:   

Thanks, JTS. Much appreciated.

Haven't seen Zoetrope. Will check it out.

Robert
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 09:41 am:   

Oscar Nominations: http://www.oscars.com/nominees/print.html

I couldn't care less about the winners out of this list. Unsurprisingly, the best documentary, Grizzly Man, wasn't nominated. I find Ebert's comments amusing:

Q. No movie stuck with me emotionally more than Werner Herzog's "Grizzly Man" did this year. Why did "Grizzly Man" not even qualify for the short list for best documentary?

John Brightling, Listowel, Ontario

A. It was the best documentary of the year, after all, so maybe that counted against it.
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=ANSWERMAN&date=200 51127

At least there are 2 good animated movies nominated: Howl's Moving Castle and Wallace & Gromit. Usually there's only one decent animated movie.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 11:03 am:   

I'd like to see William Hurt win. He deserves it.

Other than that, I saw almost nothing that was nominated.

The Enron doc was good, but I don't know if it was Oscar-worthy. Was THE CORPORATION eligible this year? Was CONTROL ROOM? If so, it's b.s. that neither of those were nominated. I agree...GRIZZLY MAN was the best.

kellys
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 11:53 am:   

I've never ordered a disc from here, so can't vouch for the quality of service, but The Proposition is going for AUD 29.95 on February 22 here:

http://www.dvdorchard.com.au/Product.asp?PND=118585&TP=&AffID=600099&CS=1

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 06:57 am:   

Thanks, Kelly,

Oscarworthy, Dave? Julia Roberts has an Ocscar. Ben Hur has 12. Barbra Striesand. This is the most ludricrous award given.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 07:19 am:   

Well, I was writing under the assumption that Oscarworthy meant "of the highest quality." My naivete shows through again...

With all the movies you see, you should publish the Lucius Awards. I'd be curious to see the winners...

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 07:32 am:   

Saw a movie based on the JT Leroy books, The Heart is Deceitful Above All Things, starring Asia Argento and a cast featuring Peter Fonda, Marilyn Manson, Winona Rider...
Some good moments, but really more of a cinematic curiosity. The acting was good, esp Argento, but the main weakness of the film was that the source material just doesn't stand up to the camera's scrutiny.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 07:40 am:   

Awards are bullshit. I do my best not to encourage them. I just report on what I see, FWIW.

kellys
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 08:10 am:   

Lucius: "Awards are bullshit." Agreed. I, for one, however would appreciate some kind of Lucius list of must-see films. I know it's not your kind of thing to do, but as a reader and film-goer I'm a sucker for a good list to work off of. Frequently, when I'm renting or buying a movie, I think to myself, "what was the name of that little Spanish thriller recommneded on Lucius' message board a few months ago"?

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 09:30 am:   

Thanks, Kelly. I'm gonna do a list of films I liked last year, irrespective of the year they were made, and it'll be posted here, probably after I'm off to Honduras.

kellys
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 09:36 am:   

I look forward to it.

jk
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 10:18 am:   

"Awards are bullshit." Huh? Come on, what about the Golden Globes? What about the 80 or so members of the Hollywood Foreign Press, which consists of various starf*ckers and auto parts salesmen, and people looking for good buffets and free swag? And only 20 or so of them are full time journalists.
And the Hollywood fools get up there and pretend that it is such an honor to win a Globe, when they all know it is a scam. It's actually fairly nauseating.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 10:37 am:   

What about the nebulas. Clique-voting at its finest...

The awards process is for shite, no matter what the medium. Don't get me wrong, it's nice to win anything. But viewed in the light of day, there's no there there.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 10:40 am:   

Yeah, but to win a "Lucius"...<sigh>

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 10:44 am:   

I had the chance to watch Part I of Martin Scorsese's NO DIRECTION HOME last night. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Dylan actually opens up and doesn't sound like he's fighting the interviewer. And the clips of Dylan and the Hawks circa '66 (Pennebaker, I guess?) are terrific. Nice to hear from folks like Dave Van Ronk and John Cohen...

ben peek
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 02:15 pm:   

i actually saw GOOD NIGHT, AND GOOD LUCK on the weekend. i'm surprised to find myself liking clooney's films, really. GOOD NIGHT... is a solid, little film, with a real good lead performance, but it looks good as well--quite authentic looking of its time peroid, i thought, though i could be wrong. still, worth checking, i thought.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 03:16 pm:   

I'll have to take your word for it, Ben...I suffer from clooneyosis, which causes me to grow bland and forgettable during an attack. Thus I'm forced to avoid all Clooney films...less I become rich and famous for being bland and forgettable.

Nah, I'll check it out when I return.

Ordered a movie today that sounds interesting. Innocence, a French film about a girls school (Dave alert) with a subterrean adjunct containing secret garden paths and grottos et al, where only the students may go.
If any of the girls who visit the underground area try to leave the school, they disappear and are never heard of again.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 04:45 pm:   

I saw that on the diabolik website. Looks good. I may order that and VIRGINS FROM HELL...:-)

JTS
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 05:10 pm:   

I'll probably rent Good night, And good luck. I'm quite interested in the whole McArthy era, and I don't think I've seen a movie depicting his downfall.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 05:23 pm:   

I think Innocence is a better flick, Dave! :-)

ben peek
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 05:58 pm:   

well, lucius, i'm hardly going to say clooney is a great actor or whatever. but his two films, his other one being CONFESSIONS OF A DANGEROUS MIND, have both been solid things. they suggest that clooney might be a little less bland than otherwise thought, at the very least :-)

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 06:05 pm:   

Yeah, I saw part of CONFESSIONS. I thought it was okay, but I wasnt persuaded to stay with it. I guess it's just a blind spot.

ben peek
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 02:35 am:   

it's fair enough. GOOD NIGHT AND GOOD LUCK is a different film, too, in style and substance, so it shows a bit of range. i'm curious to see what he'll do next.

kellys
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 11:01 am:   

Clooney, the director, has good intentions, however beholden he is to his 70s idols (Lumet, Pakula, etc.). And Good Night is certainly a good film: beautiful photographed, earnestly acted, but...

...I wish Clooney portrayed Murrow with more dimension. Human beings are flawed characters; it would have been nice if Clooney treated Murrow like a human being instead of an icon.

ben peek
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 02:41 pm:   

yeah, that's a fair enough complaint. they were busy showing other humans that they never bothered with murrow.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 06:00 am:   

Watched Benjamin Smoke, a documentary covering the last ten years in the life of Robert Dickerson AKA Benjamin, a real Tom Waits who walked the walk. Drag queen, musician, poet, leader of one of great unknown bands, Smoke. Check out their album, Heaven on a Popsicle Stick found at CDBaby.com for 15 bucks. Fantastic stuff. The DVD gives you insight into Benjamin's strange and intricate heart.

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 06:30 am:   

Jem Cohen is an old buddy of mine from years ago.

He is an extremely talented documentary filmmaker and I would recommend all his work to anyone interested in the visual possibilities of the form.

Just recently saw his new one, CHAIN...Very thought provoking look at architecture and its impact on modern life.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 06:44 am:   

Have you heard the CD...

Robert
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 06:51 am:   

The latest parody trailer: Brokeback to the Future
http://www.filmthreat.com/index.php?section=videos&Id=9

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 08:29 am:   

No, the only Smoke music I heard was on the s/t to the movie. I'll have to check it out.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 08:49 am:   

Go to CD baby == They have both CDs, Popiscle and A New Reason to Fast.

Brokeback Mountain's already a parody,

Rich Patterson
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 10:04 am:   

Ang Lee (upon winning the Golden Globe for best director): "I spend so much time making movies I sometimes get too uptight, too critical to enjoy this. [But this year] I have seen and loved so many of my colleagues' films. That makes this award ... so much more special because I think it has been an amazing year for American cinema. Thanks to my fellow filmmakers for strengthening my faith in movies."

jk
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 10:23 am:   

And Ang should have thanked the part time journalist/auto parts salesman, and the various starstruck wannabe journalists who are part of the 80-something strong Hollywood Foreign Press because of the great buffets. Gee, what an honor for Ang to be recognized by such a great group of people. Pia Zadora anyone?
And Brokeback looks like a steaming pile o'shite/trojan horse being used to desensitize people to a certain lifestyle. And Hollywood wonders why box office is down and the Oscar ratings will be down even lower than last year's? Because they are smug idiots making movies for some audiences in L.A. and New York, and ignoring everyone in between.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 10:30 am:   

"And Brokeback looks like a steaming pile o'shite/trojan horse being used to desensitize people to a certain lifestyle."

Basically I saw it as an attempted monument to American tolerance, which as we all know, really exists only in a tiny minority of American hearts.

jk
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 10:45 am:   

Well, it looks like a joke to me. A hollwyood version of gay cowboys. I have an uncle who is a real West texas cowboy, and that kind of thing would never happen, because they raise their children in such a way that the thought wouldn't even occur to them. Of course if the person was born completely gay like Christopher Lowell or Harvey Feirstein or something, then that's one thing, but the characters in the movie don't act like they are gay and have no other choice. To me the movie is a joke.

jk
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 11:36 am:   

I also find it fairly amusing that anyone who has a bad word to say about it is branded either a homophobe or a closet homosexual (not saying you're doing this, but I've seen lots of it). If you're so intolerant that you have a bad word to say about the movie I guess the next step is...going into a bar and chopping someone up with a hatchet. Um...yeah.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 12:02 pm:   

It's based on story by E Annie Proulx, one of a great collection, Western Stories, I think is the name, and this particular story has the ring of authenticity. There are some things about the movie I like, the evocation of different decades, for one--but I thought the acting was overrated. Basically, I'm agreeing with you. It's not that good. But every once and a while Hwood feels that have to make an "important" movie, and this is one such. Pile of shit? I don't know if I'd call it that, but I didn't find it very affecting. They used to market a certain kind of movie as Ladies Matinees. Many of them starred Lana Turner. This seems to fall into that genre. A big Technicolor tearjerker attended mostly by women who keep their hankies handy.

jk
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 12:29 pm:   

Has anyone seen The Silver Globe by the director who did Possession(the movie where Isabella Adjani has sex with an octupus monster). The Silver Globe is supposed to be an out there sci-fi movie, but has never gotten a dvd release, to my knowledge. I've seen stills of The Silver Globe, and it looks pretty amazing.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 12:46 pm:   

Perhaps because it's unfinished? See article...

http://www.fright.com/edge/silverglobe.html

jk
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 12:51 pm:   

It states in the article it did get a release in 1987. I'd still like to see it, even if the director considers it unfinished. Looks pretty interesting.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 12:56 pm:   

Yup, I agree.

jk
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 01:02 pm:   

I read an interview with Zulawski, and he said he was friends with Tarkovsky, and that Tarkovsky was criticizing him for making "commercial" films. As if Possession or The Silver Globe are commercial! And Zulawski told Tarkovsky he was "talking a bunch of crap." Ha ha.

MarcL
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 02:42 pm:   

Larry David on Brokeback Mountain:

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/01/02/opinion/eddavid.php

MarcL
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 02:45 pm:   

Just picked up a copy of Kurosawa's THE BAD SLEEP WELL. All this old Kurosawa I've never seen...makes me happy.

Criterion has a DVD that pairs Kurosawa's THE LOWER DEPTHS with Renoir's LA BAS. I'm not quite in the mood for either one. Anyone seen them?

jk
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 02:49 pm:   

Is that La Bas based on the Huysman book? Down There, the one about devil worship in France?
The Bad Sleep Well-great movie.

Nathan
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 07:59 pm:   

Proulx's collection is called CLOSE RANGE: WYOMING STORIES, and is just tremendous. I haven't seen the movie, so I won't comment on it; but the stories are beautiful. The woman knows how to wield a sentence.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register