Go Patriots! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » Go Patriots! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patrick M.
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 07:47 am:   

Are you willing to acknowledge that everyone else is playing for second yet?

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 08:24 am:   

Why do I have to acknowledge that? I like the Pats fine. And I don't care about any teams left in the playoffs. Except the Bears, maybe. But a caution. Jacksonville isn't Denver or Indy. So take a breath.

Patrick M.
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 11:31 am:   

Sorry, I thought it was a requirement that the reigning champ fans be obnoxious. I think the Pats are the last team that Indy wants to face but I sort of agree, their resurgent defense really hasn't faced a decent offense yet.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 12:53 pm:   

But then the Giants really sucked, huh? :-)

Laird
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 02:22 pm:   

Eli did not disappoint my expectations.

He loves to throw what Tony Hill used to call "medicine balls": after the receiver comes down, he needs some medicine.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 02:31 pm:   

Eli's a peach! He's gonna be even better next year. Five turnovers a game, not four...:-)

blake
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 06:49 pm:   

I really liked the way the panthers played the game. Good, solid, smart football, almost impeccable time management. Sometimes I think coaches don't realize there's a clock on the field.

Maybe I enjoyed it so much because I dislike the Giants, though.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 07:57 am:   

Cowboys fans could enjoy Eli's problems in leisure this year, since they didn't have a playoff game of their own to watch...:-)

The Pats are peaking at just the right time -- again. They may not have the squad to beat the Colts this season, but it is certainly shaping up to be a much better matchup than it would have been, say, a month ago.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 08:16 am:   

One week's extra leisure. No playoff game to watch? Hey, it was big fun watching the Giants.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 09:04 am:   

Well, as long as they could provide you pleasure, then their loss will not have been in vain...:-)

JV
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 09:36 am:   

I would just like to see a few close games, thank you very much.

JeffV

Lucius
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 09:43 am:   

I'd like to see a close well-played game, Wash-TB was close. Next week, Pats-Denver, Carolina-Chicago, maybe Pitt-Indy should qualify,

Patrick M.
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 03:54 pm:   

I don't think Denver will be close to the Pats. I predict a blow out and Denver will be out of the play-offs before the end of the third quarter.

The Giants aren't any good since their best coaches are in New England and Dallas. Thankfully, Parcells is staying for 2 more years.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 05:23 pm:   

A lot depends on Corey Dillon's health, I don't see a blowout....

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 08:16 pm:   

?

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 01:43 am:   

Well, so much for that theory. Broncos win (eh). Seahawks win (Go Hawks!) <vbg>

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 05:40 am:   

That seahawks game was embarrassing to watch. If they get to the SB, they'll be the worst Super Bowl victim since the Pats in '85. Sean Alexander was, as expected, putrid while in there. MVP, my ass. At least NE-Denver was fairly well played.

Patrick M.
Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 09:05 am:   

Well played, but the officiating decided the game. NE figured out the blitz and had completely stopped the run. Even with the 4 turnovers, I think if the right calls were made on those two plays...

And if not for the turnovers, it would have been a blow out. If not for the bad calls, it would have been a win.

But, oh well. NE has had a few lucky calls in their favor over their run. It is what it is.

Guess you've got to give the SB to Indy now. That sucks. I like seeing Manning get so close each year only to have his hopes dashed.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 09:28 am:   

I agree about the officiating, but it was never going to be a blow-out. Denver's pressure got in Brady's head some, and that's what caused him to press.

Manning's not there yet.

Patrick M.
Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 09:52 am:   

I thought Brady settled down. it wasn't until after the second bad call that they really started to press.

First quarter looked close and a field position battle. I thought Denver was eventually going to run over them. But towards the middle of the second quarter, it looked like there was a little of a shift. Really the INT by Samuels and the big pass readjusted the field position and then NE started to click on both sides after those 2 plays.

If NE had been up by 10+, Jake would have started to collapse on himself. Denver's offense didn't move in the 3rd quarter at all. They barely moved in the fourth. Despite 4 turnovers, NE still kept looking like they were going to come back.

At least, that is how I saw it.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 10:55 am:   

That's a fairly patriocentric spin, Patrick.

You're describing the game absolutely backwards of the way it played out. I mean, you're right, but everything that could have happened to Plummer, did happen to Brady. But anyway...

The Indy-Pitt game is the Super Bowl, I think.

b
Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 11:16 am:   

The Colts' current drive starting at their 1 is a thing of beauty.

This is going to be a great game, I think.

Patrick M.
Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 11:37 am:   

Just a little. :-) Did you see Denver moving the ball at will in the second half? I missed that. When were those long drives that they were running?

Yeah Brady got hit alot, for gains of 12-18 yds in the second half.

I credit the Denver defense for creating 2 turnovers and special teams for creating 2, but that Den offense wasn't going to score crap.

I'm still in a little denial. I don't think the best team won. Yes, there is a little bit of a bias here. :-)

I'm glad to see the Steelers winning at the half. I don't know about this being the SB. I think you will see and interesting SB. I was surprised at the Panther/Pats bowl. That was a great game.

b
Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 12:14 pm:   

Upon further review...

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 01:27 pm:   

Peyton can't win the big one, Peyton can't win the big one....

:-)

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 01:30 pm:   

And that WAS an int by Palomalu....

Right, Colts Fan!

Colt's Fan
Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 01:35 pm:   

:-(--------:-(
:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(

Barth
Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 02:44 pm:   

well, that game was...comic. like watching competing teams of donkeys balance atop one another.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 03:20 pm:   

Very creative, CF. I feel yr pain, but...I just don't care. :-)

John Klima
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 06:40 am:   

I agree, Palomalu had that interception, but the correct outcome happened anyway. I think the Denver-Pittsburgh game next week should be pretty good.

JK

Lucius
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 08:17 am:   

Yeah, the reffing all through the weekend sucked.

minz
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 11:35 am:   

They clearly need to review that friggin "secure the ball and then make a football move" thing or whatever. I mean, Palomalu practically had time to autograph that ball and he kept rolling with it. And I even thought that TB was screwed. Reciever caught the ball with two feet in endzone. One knee hits, ball is still clearly secure, then his body hits the ground and ball comes out. It was friggin embarassing seeing players make the plays and having refs say, well, secure the ball and have the ball certified by a notary public, while completing form TDX473 in triplicate.

Still, I enjoyed the results of this weekend's games, especially watching the Bears vaunted D getting it's ass kicked by an offense with its backup and then 3rd-string rb. Pure pleasure.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 11:50 am:   

I think the better team lost in the Denver game, but--despite the calls--they didn't play better. I'm pulling for the road teams now.

I must admit that I really enjoyed watching Peyton turn into Eli. I don't know if the Colts get over this one.

John Klima
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 05:04 pm:   

Yeah, that was a tough way to end the year for Peyton and the Colts. It's like how McNabb and the Iggles ended last year, and we know what happened to them.

JK

Patrick M.
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 05:39 pm:   

Four turnovers definitely makes a difference. I think counting slop time deep ball prayers is unfortunate but a reality. I am aware there were five but the game was over at four. I think the fourth was the killer, though and the only unforced turnover.

I don't think Denver has a chance against the Steelers but then I was wrong on the two AFC games this week, so...

I'm predicting Panthers over Steelers in the SB. But because of injuries to the Panthers, I might back off that statement later this week.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 05:39 pm:   

Hey, maybe the Colts can sign TO? :-)

Josh Rountree
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 08:43 pm:   

I have absolutely no team left to root for or against. The Super Bowl is gonna be blah...

Lucius
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 08:56 pm:   

Aw, don't be blue. It could be be fun.

Patrick M.
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 02:26 am:   

Where is TO going? I heard Tampa.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 06:16 am:   

I think the NFL needs to sign more Cali high school principals to blow calls in big games.

I have never understood how a multi-billion dollar enterprise like the NFL with full-time players, coaches, league officials, etc., can have the chutzpah to nickel-and-dime with part-time refs. The calls in the Pittsburgh game were pathetic. I loved what Joey Porter said, ie, that everyone knew they were trying to give the game to Manning. He said what lots of people were thinking.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 07:08 am:   

Well, he didn't speak for me when he said the whole world loves Peyton Manning, :-)

It wasn't just the pitt gane, it was all the games; I except from this the Seattle game, which was so badly played I couldn't watch.

Minz
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 07:55 am:   

Friggin-fargin-frazzlepoo; Bates is leaving GB.

I, for one, am delighted in joining Lucius in revelling in the continued failures of all things Manning when it comes to the playoffs, though Peyton is actually #3 on my Manning dislike list, which I wouldn't have thought possible three years ago. I had so much respect for Archie and what he did toiling all those years in N'awlins that I just don't think I can ever get over his basically dumping all over that with his whiny shite maneuvers regarding Eli. As long as Eli is in the league, I'll revile him, just like I reviled Elway. I sincerely hope SD finds some way to win a championship, and soon. And I hope the Gints continue to suck the big one. In fact, I sincerely hope they have the #1 D in the league next year, Tiki leads the league in rushing, and they don't make the playoffs because Eli's continued piss-poor performance. I'm still waiting for the honeymoon to be over.

I was a bit surprised at how happy I was Denver beat New England. Back when whiny baby Elway was playin (remember, he's the original Eli Whining), I friggin' hated the Broncos. Now that Jake the Snake is back there, I was actually able to cheer for them. (Not that I hate the Patriots, but I like the Packers being the only team to ever win three-straight NFL championships. Oh, yeah, and in case you forgot, they did it twice. :-))

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 08:38 am:   

Minz, say what you will about the Giants' piss-poor performance in the playoffs, 11-5 is hardly "sucking the big one." I mean, let's be fair...

The Pats did not deserve to win, but it's very hard to root for Jake Plummer, especially with his new "Captain Caveman" look.

I'm afraid Van Der Jagt's clutch miss (by, like, 30 feet) is a clear sign that Pittsburgh is this year's Team of Destiny. They will roll over both Dingos and Shitehawks en route to a chumpionship in 2007: The Year the NFL Broke.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 08:43 am:   

Right, Dave. It's just sucking. 11-5 in that conference is 8-8 in the AFC.

Frazzle-poo, Minz? This is a no-cursing zone.
Where did Bates go?

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 08:45 am:   

I don't think TO will go to Tampa. Gruden don't want him messing with Sim's head.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 10:19 am:   

Yeah, no way the Giants would stand a chance against the mighty Broncos...DOH! :-) (They must not have been accustomed to breathing all that home-team New Jersey oxygen...)

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 11:01 am:   

That was then, that was back when Eli wasn't playing like a mamma's boy. Denver would crush the giants, pittsburgh would annihilate them. But that's all moot because Carolina buried 'em and pissed on their grave.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 11:57 am:   

Arguing about what would happen if the Giants were in the AFC is like arguing what would have happened if the season was played on Saturn. Pure speculative fiction.

Fact: 11-5. Fact: NFC East champ.

You guys can dream up all the scenarios you want. The Giants got whipped by the Panthers, who have turned out to be a pretty darned good team, maybe Super Bowl calibre. Maybe Super Bowl champion calibre. You're letting your irrational hatred of Eli taint your analysis. Again. The Jints had a damn good year.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 12:03 pm:   

The point I'm making, they won't have another.

NFC champ? That's like I Killed Seven At One Blow.

Eli-hating is not irrational. You're just too close, Dave.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 01:03 pm:   

Well, since I'm a Uniter, not a Divider, let's focus on the things we can all agree on: the Giants folded when it counted, Eli was erratic all year and he needs to build consistency if the Giants are ever going to get to the next level.

I don't know why we are denigrating the NFC East at the expense of the AFC. With the Giants, Skins and Cowboys, the division had three pretty fair, winning teams. And should the Eagles get their shiznit together next season, it will be a genuine bear of a division.

minz
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 01:15 pm:   

I believe I've been quite clear about my irrational Eli-hating--oh, wait, I have a very well-reasoned argument about why I hate Eli. And I have a strong feeling that this time next year, Gints' fans will have their own set of reasoned arguments about why they hate Eli. I guess it's my very rational hatred of Eli that's leading to my irrational hatred of Gints. (Actually, don't hate the Gints, just the Mannings. Divest yourself of said Eli, amid a ringing chorus of boos and snowballs, and Dallas would rise back up to the top as the NFC East team I love to hate the most. Since Tuna went there, and got rid of any lingering snot-nosed punks in the lineup, it's become a lot tougher to hate them. But I still do...just not as much as Eli. :-))

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 01:37 pm:   

Minz speaks for me...on this subject.

And Dave, it wasn't a strong conference. I picked Carolina and Minne to be in the championship game, because they were the closest to complete teams, IMO. Minne's season was an aberration. Carolina...Well, we'll see how they do. But it's just a weak conference. There aren't any outstanding QBs, the MVP is a joke...It's just down.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 06:16 am:   

Minz, ya never know. It might happen. NY fans have a notoriously short fuse on these sorts of things.

And then, the Hasselbeck Era can truly begin...:-)

Barth
Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 09:04 pm:   

The Vikes are becoming the NYG West - I hope we just eat the good parts and spit out the rest.

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 07:49 pm:   

Might have been interesting to have a SB between the Hawks and Broncos -- old AFC West rivals. But Pittsburgh was too strong for 'em. Got to say, the Hawks were impressive in the win for the NFC championship.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 07:57 pm:   

Yeah, interesting to the cities of Denver and Seattle. The indifference of the rest of the country would have been astronomical. Ad execs would leaping out of building. At least Pburgh has some national fan base.

All I want is a brand new concussion for Sean Alexander and someone to knock the shit of Hbeck when he runs out of bounds holding the ball overhead. I think I'll get my wish.

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 09:59 pm:   

>>All I want is a brand new concussion for Sean Alexander and someone to knock the shit of Hbeck...I think I'll get my wish.>>

Ha! Christmas is over, Lucius. :-)

Steelers are the early Las Vegas favorites, but I don't think they'll win. The Steelers are on a roll, but so are the Hawks, losing only one game in the last 3 and a half months (and that one to Green Bay in a game that didn't mean much, with the Hawks resting players).

What the heck. It should be a good game.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 10:26 pm:   

I know the steelers will win. The Steelers have already beat the three best teams in the nfl on the road -- the seafags beat two wild card teams; they prepared for the steelers by playing in the weakest division in the league. They're not an elite team. Pburgh'll be the early favorite and the late favorite. Hasselbeck will keep it close for a half but the Steeler will win going away. Soft Sean will get 50 yards and a lot of owies. Only way Seattle wins is if God intervenes. And why would he?

Laird
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 11:11 pm:   

"Only way Seattle wins is if God intervenes. And why would he?"

Just to teach you a lesson for rooting on those bastards what beat our beloved Cowboys in not one, but two Superbowls! Don't you know the hole in the roof at Texas Stadium is so God can watch Dallas play?

Lucius
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 05:51 am:   

Hey, Seattle winning the Super Bowl is an abomination in the eyes of the Lord. On the uniform factor alone...it should be a blowout. No one wearing teal gets a ring. That's a rule. The Steelers are bigger, nastier, faster. They're more like God. They'll be picking Seahag bits out of their teeth after this one. God Bless the city of Seattle for having a hearing-impaired girl sing the National Anthem, though. That was right in keeping with their trail-mix-eating, tofu-munching, politically correct fanbase who learn the names of three players on their team whenever they start to do well and buy a t-shirt, wave a banner, and say Neat-O or Go Sean Go. Fans like that don't deserve a Super Bowl. They deserve good nachos and wine coolers and a win for the Green Party candidate, but not a Super Bowl. Super Bowl fans paint their bodies and stand for hours in single digit temperatures. They don't have single digit temperatures in Seattle, they have the Humboldt Current. You don't win a Super Bowl with a running back whose namby-pamby, adenoidal voice reminds of Eddie Murphy playing his Mr. Rogers character ("Hi, kids!"). Super Bowl winners have guys named Roethlisberger and running backs nicknamed "The Bus." They have defenses named the Steel Curtain, not the Teal Coverlet. Seattle even getting to the Super Bowl is a reminder that parity has several letters in common with leprosy. Seattle winning the Super Bowl....C'mon. It's in Detroit. The team will probably get mugged on the way to the game. One glimpse of Pontiac and they'll be too traumatized to play. If they did win, Hasselbeck would go to Disneyworld...and he'd enjoy it.

Gimme a break!

Minz
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 06:47 am:   

Hey Laird, thanks for giving me an excuse to dust off one of my favorite shots: Texas Stadium is actually known (and looks like) God's Toilet Bowl, and the whole in the roof is so that he can...well, y'know. :-)

Minz
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 06:50 am:   

Lucius said: "Super Bowl fans paint their bodies and stand for hours in single digit temperatures."

Couldn't have said it better myself.

BillY
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 07:00 am:   

I liked: "They don't have single digit temperatures in Seattle, they have the Humboldt Current."

Barth
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 07:30 am:   

adding fuel to the hatred:

http://www.sweetshaun.com/

(via alan deniro)

Lucius
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 07:39 am:   

Thanks Barth and Allen...

Good stuff..

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 07:45 am:   

Ha ha, Lucius, who's on the Uniform Watch now???

I agree that the redesigned Hawks unis are ridiculous. That's why I am digging out my vintage Jim Zorn/Steve Largent Hawks uniform (dignified blue) to cheer on my brother Eagle. True, Pittsburgh has the working class credentials, but how can you root for a guy whose namesake sandwich is a cheeseburger smothered with scrambled eggs?

Besides, Pittsburgh has their SB trophies. Let's let the folks without get one for a change.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 08:02 am:   

Hey, Dave.....Win one for the hearing impaired! Let's let everyone have their day. Win one for the short people, for the cat fanciers.

Shit...

A wimpy attitude like that doesn't have fuck all to do with football.

"Ha ha, Lucius, who's on the Uniform Watch now?"

Hey, one mention does not make me the equal of an NFL couturier like you.

What the fuck's wrong with you, you can't root for a cheeseburger?

As for the Seahags, it's like Deborah says -- "I'm just glad The Bus goes out in style, in his hometown, against another NFC team that wouldn't be Bowl Eligible if they played in the SEC or ACC."

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 08:42 am:   

True, you're not quite the sports style maven I am...but who is? Keep trying, you'll get there! :-)

I can certainly root for a cheeseburger, but smothered with scrambled eggs and mayonaise? Please! Sounds like something Mr. Creosote from Monty Python's Meaning of Life would order.

Actually, I am going to be pretty neutral. I am a Bus fan and would like to see him go out a winner. (What? You're cheering for a Golden Domer? Do my eyes deceive me?) But I would also like to see Matt hoist the trophy. I'll be happy no matter who wins. Neither team has any detestible weenies on it, that I can see.

Lucius, if you can eat an entire Rothlis-burger without gagging and hold it down for 24 hours, I will set my Doug Flutie jersey on fire.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 09:07 am:   

Evenness and fairminded have no place in football, either.

With time, Bettis has lost that urinal taint the Domers carry away with them from South Bend.

I accept your Roethlis-burger challenge.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 10:09 am:   

I want Bucket to be my proxy to witness the event. Maybe they'll cook you one at the Half-Time.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 10:16 am:   

We'll figure out something....

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 11:22 am:   

"Earlier Friday at Peppi's, a grill where the original "Roethlisburger" was created, cooks Rell Smith, Jennifer Yogmas and Steve Haughton serve up 70 to 90 a day of the not-for-the dainty sandwiches with 5 ounces of beef, 5 ounces of sausage, an egg scrambled in for good measure and four slices of American cheese on a two-fisted Italian roll. Yogmas was stunned that a fan from Ontario called to get the recipe for the burger."

It's got to be a regulation Roethlisburger...I have been informed that Mayo is optional.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 11:27 am:   

No problemo!

I'll expect to see verifiable evidence of a burnt Flutie.

Deborah
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 01:32 pm:   

In the interest of getting the entire story...this is from the Pgh Post Gazette of November 2004...

The first on the scene was the "Roethlis-burger," soon to have its spelling adjusted to "Roethlis-burgher," at Brentwood Express on Saw Mill Run Boulevard.

Co-owner Steve Kingsland said credit for the idea goes to his partner and brother-in-law, Sam Vuick, who suggested after Roethlisberger's first start that the restaurant should name a sandwich after him.

So they did. The $3.95 Roethlis-burger is a one-third pound hamburger with bacon, ranch dressing, barbecue sauce and cheddar and provolone cheeses. The "Big Ben," at $4.69, includes all that and another one-third pound burger.

"We've only been in business since May so it's been a real boost for us," Kingsland said yesterday. "I would say out of all the burgers we sell, two out of three are the Roethlis-burger.

"Most of the time, an order prompts a discussion of football ... and about how great he's doing. It's been a lot of fun. It's exciting for us to be involved with it."

Elsewhere, "The Roethlisburger," available at Peppi's restaurants on the North Side, Downtown, in the Strip District and Highland Park, has likewise become a huge seller in the three weeks it has been offered. The sandwich is 11/2 pounds of ground beef, hot sausage, fried onions, scrambled egg and American cheese. It goes for $7, matching its namesake's number.

Since Sunday, Peppi's has been offering T-shirts bearing the restaurant's logo, the number 7 and the boast "I tackled the Roethlisburger" at a cost of $11.95. A combo -- sandwich, drink and T-shirt -- goes for $19.95.

The day after the whopping sandwich got exposure on the national broadcast of the Steelers game, the North Side store alone sold 150 of them. Telephone orders for T-shirts have come from as far away as Texas, owner Jeff Trebac said.

Wahl thinks a big part of the fan attraction to Roethlisberger is that as a native of Findlay, Ohio, "he comes from the same sociological environment" as they do.

Deborah
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 01:34 pm:   

Oh, and note my restraint in not discussing the very idea that *Findlay, Ohio* bears any sociological resemblance whatsoever to Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh doesn't smell nearly that bad, for one thing. And it has big buildings with indoor plumbing and a polysyllabic populace.

But, I'm not saying anything.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 01:59 pm:   

I'll eat any Roethlis-burger Dave wants...and love it! :-)

As for Findlay, it does have a very clean Greyhound Station.

Laird
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 03:47 pm:   

I agree with God hating Seattle's uniforms--everybody else does.

Sadly, you and I know Superbowls aren't about fans. Few to none of the loyalists who paint their gonads and freeze em off in Pennsylvania winters will be attending the champagne and cavier fest that is the Parity Bowl...

I still don't give a flying fig or any other Nabisco product about the outcome.

And Minz: that wasn't a very nice thing to say about America's Team. God loves them for the cheerleaders alone.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 04:42 pm:   

"I still don't give a flying fig or any other Nabisco product about the outcome"

You seem intent upon announcing this, I don't know why. No one's trying to convince you otherwise. And it isn't just the unis that's wrong with Seattle, that yuppied-out ex-town, that piece of stanky gentrification. It's their illegitimacy as fans, the Humboldt Current, etc.

The Super Bowl is shit, but less so when the Browns, Bucs, Steelers, and Cowboys are involved.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 05:11 pm:   

OK, tough guy. It has to be a Peppi's Roethlisburger, consumed at one sitting...One hour time limit. Hell, that Brentwood Express thing isn't much more than the old Hardee's Deluxe Huskee. I know Brownies who could eat one of those.

I just reread that Peppi's description and it alone is giving me agita...

Laird
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 05:14 pm:   

"You seem intent upon announcing this, I don't know why."

Probably because I was joking with you and not intent on announcing anything. Peace out.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 05:41 pm:   

Like I said, no problem, Dave, We'll put it together,

Lucius
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 05:45 pm:   

Hey, anytime someone starts throwing terms like "flying fig" around, I take it serious.

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 07:33 pm:   

"Seattle, that yuppied-out ex-town, that piece of stanky gentrification. It's their illegitimacy as fans"

Lucius, didn't you live here for a while? (Or do you still...I forget.)

Speaking of ex-towns, who decided a Super Bowl in Detroit was a good thing? At least the Steelers will feel right at home there.

And we ain't all yuppie, wine-cooler drinking lepers. (Although I know a few. <vbg>) If we're illegitimate as fans, it's because we've been suffering for 30 years. Yeah, we're a small market, and no one cares much, and all we've got to show for pro sports in this town is one Sonics championship in the late 70s. (Oh yeah, and the Storm last year, but who watches pro women's basektball?)

Tampa Bay won its first SB a while back, but they're certainly not a "National Team" becuase they didn't follow it up with anything else since then. Well, when the Seahawks win their 2ND SB, we'll see.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 08:19 pm:   

Yes, I did live there and would still had not a yuppie bought the building. This is trash talk, Patrick. It has nothing to do with fairness or accuracy. It's like, Yo mama stuff.

This is the second super bowl for Detroit. It's lovely. I lived there for better than half a decade and was only mugged thrice.

TB has been a quality team for some time, and that's different from Seattle. And they do have a considerable national fan base.

I lived in Seattle, and I know all these people there who never paid attention to the teams until they started winning. Then all of sudden it's "We're going to the SB! Yea!" I don't respect that. That's not how it works back east, and I've defnitely got an east coast bias. Back east, folks root for their teams good or bad. Perhaps because everybody from Seattle is from Cali, there's no sense of community like there was in the late 80s when I first came there...thus few real fans. In the 90s, most people of my acquaintance who claimed to be Sonics fans couldn't tell me any of the players except for maybe Gary Peyton. I doubt much has changed in six years.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 08:20 pm:   

And oh yeah, this'll make it 31 years. :-)

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 10:49 pm:   

"And oh yeah, this'll make it 31 years."

Ha! Maybe so, maybe so. We'll see. Looking forward to the extravaganza anyway, regardless.

"This is trash talk, Patrick. It has nothing to do with fairness or accuracy. It's like, Yo mama stuff."

I hope you mean trash-talking all around in good fun, and not just me, that you didn't think I was trash-talking you by implying anything about where you lived. I just remember seeing you at cons and Clarion parties, so figured you'd lived here before.

"Detroit. It's lovely. I lived there for better than half a decade and was only mugged thrice."

Well there you go! No muggings for me here in Seattle yet. Uh, well. Auburn, that is. Due south of Seattle, closer to Tacoma. Not so yuppie-ized down here.

"I lived in Seattle, and I know all these people there who never paid attention to the teams until they started winning"

Lucius, I'll absolutely agree with you on that point. Definitely fair weather fans here. Bandwagon jumpers. But then again, not a lot of fair weather EVER round here, so I guess once in a blue moon we get excited. Don't worry, the feeling will go away eventually. We'll ride a euphoric high for a year or two after winning the SB (hell, even after just being in the SB, win or lose, probably), then we'll go back to complaining. :-)

"Sonics fans couldn't tell me any of the players except for maybe Gary Peyton. I doubt much has changed in six years"

Probably right about that -- although they probably could have named names last year, as the Sonics surprised everyone (including us) and did pretty well. Now, of course, with a new coach and a few new team members, the team sucks and no one has been following them much. Probably because the Hawks are leading the bandwagon at the moment.

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 10:50 pm:   

BTW, where DO you live these days?

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 06:55 am:   

The fact that I'm having to explain about trash-talking kinda makes my point. :-) Yeah, it's just in fun. LOTS of people don't understand it out here.

That what's I mean about Detroit. They use gangs of little kids to swarm around you like piranha and if you chase em, you run into Big Brother around the corner with a gun. Like I said, the Hawks may not make it to the hotel. You can get in some trouble in South Seattle, what with Samoan gangs etc, But Detroit is one mean ass town. The Armenian mafia, man, they don't get much pub except for Elmore Leonard, but they are scary people. The cops are riddled with corruption. For a time the job of head of the Narcotics Squad was a precursor to becoming head of the Narcotics Rackets. The mayor's brother, who was chief of police and heavily involved in crime, committed suicide by shooting himself twice in the chest with a 45. Hard to do, if you think about it. It's not as bad now as in the 70s when it was called Murder City, but it's not that much better.

I live in the Portland area.

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 09:47 am:   

Gotcha. I'm a dweeb when it comes to trash talking (doing it or recognizing it obviously!!).

Yeah, that's what I'd heard about Detroit. Sounds even worse when you talk about it!

"You can get in some trouble in South Seattle"

And I know that cops around here sometimes call Auburn the armpit of South King County, although it's improved a lot over the years, and the school system is actually pretty good. And before Auburn, I taught at a high school in White Center (south of West Seattle), which is nicknamed Rat City. In early days, when it was unincorporated, all the riff raff (rats) would make a run for White Center to hide out.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 10:10 am:   

I got some stories about South Seattle. Maybe at a con sometime. I used to go to a gym there, a boxing gym not a work-out place, and it could get hairy.

Trash talk is hard over the net, but I assume people know I'm usually not serious. But every now and then it goes horribly wrong. :-)

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 10:19 am:   

Whew. Eli will be glad to hear that! :-)

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 10:45 am:   

I said "usually."

Minz
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 10:57 am:   

1) Lamest batch of trash-talking I've read. LAME-EST
I mean, I'm not even really in this discussion, but I can't help but wonder at the ridiculous absurdity of a Cowboy fan ripping on Yuppie-lovin', tree-huggin', latte-suckin', granola-crunchin' bunch of fair-weather fans from some rain-soaked patch of hell in the Pathetic Northwest. If there's a more tasteless & clueless bunch than the fur&cowboy-boot-wearing supporters of protectin' corporate marauders and carpet-baggin' silverspoon presidents, a group that loves its cowpies so much they made a stadium in the shape of a toilet bowl for the SELF-PROCLAIMED America's Team (how pathetic is that, really!), I've never heard tell of them. But that's just one uninterested party's perspective. :-)

2) Can I get in on the Roethlisburger action? Add a little hot sauce, and it sounds like one tasty treat. Maybe we should have a contest on who could eat the most in an hour (I mean, really, one Roethlisburgher shouldn't last more than three or four minutes for a true, bare-chested-in-January football fan).

3) I, for one, am thrilled they're having the SB in a Northern city, although it is a little scary what might happen to SB attendees in Detroit. Luckily, it's all corporate cronies that get to attend, so hopefully there'll be plenty of fleecin', but not too much violence. Of course, what they really should do is bring one to Lambeau, and all shall be right with the world. The frigid cold might actually lead to some real fans getting tickets to the game. (Yeah, I know, it can't happen. It's in the by-laws of the NFL no less. PUKE!)

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 11:28 am:   

There'll be a super bowl in Lame-beau when hell freezes over...Oh, that is hell. Okay. There'll be a super bowl in Lame-beau when the pack is back...sometime in the early 3000s.

Down in Texas, I hear tell they're getting up a game of Minz-tipping. That's like cow-tipping, only with a smaller, furrier mammal. Should be fun at the WFC.

As regards the Roethlisburger, yeah, one is a snap, but Dave already made his bet....but if we can get em, I'll eat a bunch.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 11:54 am:   

More than one Roethlisburger? You guys are gross. I just reread the description and I'm going to chug some Pepto.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 12:13 pm:   

Three, four easy.... :-) Six would be a chore.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 12:19 pm:   

I'll have an EMT on standby.

minz
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 01:04 pm:   

Maybe it should be who could eat six the fastest. Do the the ol' set the buns aside and dunk 'em in water as you shovel the rest in. mmmmm.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 01:31 pm:   

You're going Japanese on me, Minz. Straight up eating.

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 03:13 pm:   

"There'll be a super bowl in Lame-beau when hell freezes over"

Won't be one in Seattle either...people would DROWN! (Although the rain held off a little for the NFC Championship game, and the next day the sun was out in all its glory.) Hmmmm...coincidence? :-)

Up here we serve our Rothlisburgers BLUE rare and bloody...

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 03:18 pm:   

"TB has been a quality team for some time, and that's different from Seattle. And they do have a considerable national fan base."

I just realized that maybe I was thinking about Jacksonville, and they haven't won a SB after all. Hmmm, and they have teal in their uniforms. Oh oh....

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 03:21 pm:   

Not knowing the difference between the Jags and Bucs is another bad sign, Patrick. :-)

Josh Rountree
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 06:53 pm:   

Keep spewing that Dallas ire, Minz!

Just remember that some of us down here follow the Boys through good times and bad. I'm no fairweather fan and I RARELY wear fur coats with my lizard belly boots. Only when we're in the playoffs, and even then I make sure my Jay Novachek jersey is worn over the coat for all to see.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 08:34 pm:   

A future minz-tipped heard from....

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 08:35 pm:   

tipper, that is

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 11:11 pm:   

"Not knowing the difference between the Jags and Bucs is another bad sign, Patrick."

Yeah you're right! I was thinking Bucs because they came into the NFL the same time the Hawks did, and then I was thinking of the Jags because they were an expansion team too, just wrong era, and I got 'em mixed up.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 06:39 am:   

well, I'm certain the angst you'll feel at the Seahawks loss will drive you to familiarize yourself with the other teams. You'll wear a T-shirt bearing a gloved teal fist gripping a strand of bloody barbed wire and sporting the legend, Never Again! :-)

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 08:07 am:   

Jax had nice unis (I have an inaugural season Wilson model) until they adopted those wack black side panels.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 08:15 am:   

You heard it from Mr. G! :-)

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 03:06 pm:   

Never say Never Again! Never give up, never surrender! :-)

A side note: I teach in Auburn, at Auburn Riverside High School. Our school's colors are...teal and blue! Go figure. But our mascot is the Raven.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 03:21 pm:   

Tim Allen can't save you now...not even Paul Allen.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register