New pro thread Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » New pro thread « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 07:19 am:   

By Colt's Fan on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 09:14 pm:

Colts-26, Steelers-7

I'm going to have sweet dreams tonight.
   By Lucius on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 10:18 pm:

probably about peyton running naked through wheat.
   By minz on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 10:27 pm:

Hey Dave: What about the Shockey TD Catch where he clearly never got his second foot down before he was lit up. Clearly was not a catch. CLEARLY never got that second foot down. Not complaining about that one, are you? But yeah. Ouch. Feely's gotta be feeling the love.

That being said, that's the nature of the beast. We've lost two games this year directly because of kicking game. Of course, at this point, I'm glad we lost 'em.

We now return you to the Reggie Bush sweepstakes. C'mon Texans!!! Win some games!
   By Lucius on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 05:17 am:

Seriously, Minz. You think RB is gonna save your ass? Farve's obviously coming unglued, Sherman hasn't a clue, the OL and the DL are in shambles, the secondary is a joke, and Reggie Bush is gonna be a savior? I repeat, you'll get him killed. You'd do better to trade the pick for an extra one and a bunch or lower round picks and try for a massive fix. You can't afford RB.

That said, good point about Shockey.
   By Dave G. on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 06:15 am:

Minz: didn't see the alleged Shockey non-catch. I only saw the one where he tucked the ball away in the crook of his arm, turned upfield and ran two steps before fumbling and having Tim Carter recover. You know, the one that set a new precedent for what an "incompletion" is and pushed the Jints out of easy field goal range.

But no point crying over spilt milk or dumb calls. I'm sure everyone has their share. The only issue now is if and how the Jints are going to bounce back. Traditionally, they have a history of collapsing after heartbreaking losses.
   By Lucius on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 07:26 am:

Well, the one that Minz mentioned set a new standard for what a completion is.

Like I said, comes down to next week.
   By Lucius on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 07:34 am:

Mention oughta be made of the CYA move of the week. Matt Millen's firing of Mariucci. The Lions were 5-27 before Mariucci, 15-28 since. And he achieved that record with Millen's lame draft picks. Millen, I hear, plans to bring in Jim Haslett. How does this guy keep his job.
   By Dave G. on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 07:57 am:

He's pals with all the TV commentators, so nobody will trash him.
   By Colt's Fan on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 09:59 am:

"probably about peyton running naked through wheat."

This is Indiana here. It's corn, not wheat in my dreams. Get your facts straight!
   By Lucius on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 10:29 am:

They been trashing Millen all over ESPN.

Wheat, corn, the precincts of hell, downtown Indy (where I once spent a week in a Swiss Chalet)...It's all the same.
   By Colt's Fan on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 02:34 pm:

Ummmmm...sodomized by wheat on the stalk or sodomized by corn on the cob, a fairly common hoosier ritual? (For the most part, we're not gay. We're just bored as hell). And you say it's all the same? It's a sad day. Never in a million years did I imagine that I would feel compelled to call Lucius Shepard innocent.
   By Lucius on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 07:11 am:

Oh I know you're bored, CF. My week in the Swiss Chalet taught me all I needed to know about the delights of Hoosier life -- Garner Ted Armstrong and so on. Bored is a euphemism. However, the fact that Indy is the actuarial capital of the countrty must give you some pride.
   By Lucius on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 07:14 am:

Dave, let it be noted that the NFI admitted the refs blew calls on 2 giant TDS which were not scores. Legitimately, the Giants weren't even in it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 09:36 am:   

Well, as indicated above, the league denies this. The Toomer catch may not have been unquestionably in, but it was in. Maybe the Giants got lucky on the Shockey TD, but the Shitehawks got a big make-up call at a crucial time on the Shockey fumble. Not even in it? I would contest that. I would say that the Shitehawks won by about a foot, the one attached to J. Feely's leg.

But as you point out, this is all wind in sails now. Sunday will tell the tale. We'll see if the Giants get mad, even, or just sloppier.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 09:57 am:   

You can't lay it all on Feely. What about those 16 penalties, 11 false starts. Sure, Feely fell down on the job, but it was a group effort.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 10:02 am:   

This just in. I'll be attending the NFL draft in April. A friend, Mark Jacobson, is getting me a press pass. Yee fucking Ha.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 10:21 am:   

Yeah, the penalties. I forgot about them. Dumb.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 10:22 am:   

Lucius, you can wear your Brownies jersey and sit with the Cleveland fans yelling "O-mar, O-mar..." :-)

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 10:34 am:   

Cleveland's got a young QB...but I could do some OMAR yellin'...

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 11:57 am:   

Both candidates toured Tegucigalpa with the US Ambassador this morning promising various folks that they would abide by the outcome. Meanwhile with 40% of the total vote now talled, the Liberal lead is down to 4000 votes. The end result will probably come down to Olancho (both candidates are from Olancho,) Colon -- Trujillo, Tacoa, and La Ceiba add up to a lot of votes, and the areas of Atlantida that are still struggling with post-storm communications like Tela and El Progresso.

Not out of the woods, quite.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 12:28 pm:   

El Progresso has a good ground game, but they wear out in the fourth quarter. Tacoa is giving 3 1/2; I'd say it looks like that's where the smart money is going, especially in a dome.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 01:14 pm:   

Actually, It's more like this -- if the shit hits the fan, the military generally rounds up the mayor, some judges, the chief of police, and executes them; then it moves into Tacoa with US financed personnel carriers and shoots down maybe twenty-thirty people on the street. If that doesn't do it, they get serious.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 04:03 pm:   

Okay, Dave...
The refs admitted they were wrong about the two TD calls.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 04:51 pm:   

Hey, if they got it wrong the first time, why should I believe 'em now? :-)

I dunno...I'm a big dumbass...all I know is what I see with my own eyes, but to me, it looked like Toomer dragged his second foot inbounds. As I say, we may have gotten away with one on the Shockey TD.

Since confession is apparently good for the soul, did any of these wise men expound on how you could catch an "incompletion" and run two yards upfield with it?

Again, all water under the bridge. I can only hope that the farcical outcome of the Seattle game inspires, rather than deflates, the G-men to rise up and smite the cursed Cowboys.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 05:14 pm:   

All I know is, the refs admitted they blew the 2 calls and its being reported on ESPN.

Whether your dream comes true or not, the Giants ain't going nowhere this year and with their aging D, not in the next few years either....whereas the Boys are the young up-and-coming teams in the division.

:-)

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 07:54 pm:   

Up here in Seattle now Holmgren's saying the league officials called him up to say they messed up on a few calls. AND THEN, NOW, the officials are saying they never made that call to Holmgren.

Well, the non-catch didn't matter as it turned out. (Thanks, Jay!) The false-start penalties...my god, they had a ton. Holmgren gave a game ball to the 12th man after the game.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 08:10 pm:   

He shoulda given a game ball to Jesus. :-)

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 07:29 am:   

We'll see how young up-and-coming Drew Bledsoe does against that old gray defense...

Lucius, I am trying to maintain an air of cool, above-it-all detachment, but you are starting to get me emotionally invested in this game! What a rotten trick!

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 08:30 am:   

Bledsoe's old, but he's no Eli Manning.

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 09:01 am:   

Crush the Cowboys!!!!!

Oh hell, now I'm starting to get into it...

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 09:26 am:   

Kill the Midgets....

Minz
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 10:00 am:   

Dave said: Since confession is apparently good for the soul, did any of these wise men expound on how you could catch an "incompletion" and run two yards upfield with it?

That's been in play ever since the 99 NFC Divisional Playoff game between the 49ers & Packers. Rice caught a pass, turned up field and ran two strides, got hit, fumbled the ball, and the refs ran in, blowing the whistle saying no catch. Because of the whistle, no review. No review, no fumble. This, with under a minute left and the 49ers with one timeout (in other words, the fumble should've ended the game right there.) Instead, three plays later, Terrell Owens makes his first big play of his career, the game-winning catch that ended the Packers season. SIGH...

Minz
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 10:15 am:   

Oh, and the Packers will be more than 15 million under the cap next year (actually, it'll be 20 mil if the cap goes up as expected).

So with high draft picks, some money for FA, and that blessed NFL parity, I'd say yes, Reggie Bush could make a big difference. RB is the biggest question mark. But the OL will be okay (Whittaker will be a solid to good starter by next season, now that he'll have a season under his belt and an offseason to prepare--keep in mind he's a 7th round rookie outta Podunk U learning on the fly this season. Hopefully we can find a servicable starter for other guard spot in FA. I'd happily measure up Clifton and Tauscher against any other tandem of OL tackles in the league. Center is solid, if not spectacular.) Walker should be back, and Ferguson will be healthy, giving us one of the better overall three wr units. (Allpro Walker, pro bowl Driver, and Ferguson--Walker's recover from the knee injury will be key). We'll have Bubba starting, and both Lee and Martin have gotten some good experience this season, thanks to Bubba's injury, so suddenly we have three TE that are decent receivers. (Alas, only Bubba is a good blocker. I personally think that Bubba's early season injury problems was the biggest reason for the Packers struggles running the ball--that, and Ahman is a very old 28. Lots of touches over the years. I feel bad that he's up for a contract, but i cannot imagine him being worth the kind of money he's likely gonna get from someone.)

So our other draft picks could actually be used to bolster the defense. A defense that, by the way, is managing to hang around the top ten in the league despite the ridiculous amount of turnovers and general ineptitude on the part of the offense putting them out on the field a lot, in bad positions.

Actually, I'm a little torn. I'd love to get Reggie Bush, but what if the Packers would have a shot at drafting Vince. Oh my. Maybe trade the rights for Vince to get Reggie and another pick. I'm a-quiver. C'mon TEXANS!!!!

Okay, lunch is over. Later.

Minz
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 10:17 am:   

On second thought, maybe just take Vince and trade Rodgers. Yeah. That's the ticket.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 12:00 pm:   

First of all, Minz, Vince is long way from NFL ready as a passer. He comes out now, he's not gonna be the second incarnation of Mike Vick, he's gonna be Andre Ware, and I think his peak potential is as a solid middle of the road pro.

Second, I said that Green was over the hill before the season and you said, Pshaw. Seen in that light, your other predictions are hoo ha. Should Farve surviive Cihcago, and there's no reason to think he will, Farve is not gonna improve all that much. Forget the INTs. He's become erratic as a passer. Are you kidding about Clifton and Tauscher? If not I'm calling Bellvue.

And don't forget, Sherman is still coach.

Lunch is over here too.

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 12:15 pm:   

Hmmm, next year's draft. There's so much to address there isn't any one player you could add who could help. If we weren't going to be drafting so high (what will it be? 3? 2? Dear lord, #1?!?) I'd say that a good (great?) linebacker would be key. But who out there fills that role? I don't see any college players (and this is most likely my ignorance and lack of time this semester) who are game-breaking linebackers. At least not this year. Next year, if people stay in school, there are some guys who could transform into monsters.

I'd hate to draft a RB really high, but I can't really say that the Pack doesn't need someone. I think drafting a QB would be just stupid, since you have no idea what Rodgers is or how good/bad he might be.

Like I said, there is so much work to be done...who the hell knows? With 11 players on the IR, a young often immature defense, losing two top-NFL guard in the offseason, and an aging QB/RB combo...does this season represent where the team is or is it just a precursor to what's next?

Going crazy (working four...yes, fucking FOUR, part-time jobs and going to school),

JK

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 12:16 pm:   

And yeah, Sherman is still the coach.

And freaking Millen is still at Detroit. Why was it OK to fire Mooch and keep that lunk head as GM?

JK

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 12:42 pm:   

I'm with ya on Mooch, but what was Millen gonna do, fire himself?
What about the guy from Bama, Demeco something, or AJ Hawk? There are a slew of good LBs that the Pack coukd use, it seems to me. Plus you need defensive backfield help, despite what Minz ("the empty glass is only an illusion") says. There are some great safeties out there who can be run-stoppers as well as cover guys.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 12:45 pm:   

I think you need to get a good personnel guy in there quick or the Pack is going down

~b.
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 03:30 pm:   

>That's been in play ever since the 99 NFC Divisional Playoff game between the 49ers & Packers.

Ahhhh...Watched that game from a Viking bar in nordeast Minneapolis. Good times.

Singing: Memories...!

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 03:40 pm:   

Watched it in a Seattle grunge bar.....

Memories....

Josh Rountree
Posted on Friday, December 02, 2005 - 06:23 am:   

Minz - Vince says he's coming back to school next year. We'll see if that changes when/if the Horns acheive their ultimate goal and when/if he gets the Heisman.

Josh Rountree
Posted on Friday, December 02, 2005 - 06:25 am:   

But, you know, the Packers had a pretty good run with some other dude named Vince...

Minz
Posted on Friday, December 02, 2005 - 11:16 am:   

I watched that game while sipping Margaritas in this Mexican joint with a balcony overlooking the Pacific in Laguna Beach, the day after attending the Badgers win over UCLA in the Rose Bowl. Then watched the sunset while drinking more margaritas. Easiest playoff loss I've ever swallowed.

Our two starting corners are solid, Lucius. I know you don't believe that, but here's some numbers for you:
In eleven games, the #1 receivers for the opposing team have only managed 29 receptions, 310 yards, and zero touchdowns. Before you say that's a bunch of bums, the group includes (current ranking in NFL this season in parens): Carolina's Steve Smith (first), Cincinnati's Chad Johnson (second), New Orleans' Donte' Stallworth (24th), Pittsburgh's Hines Ward (25th) and Cleveland's Antonio Bryant (27th).
Their numbers were: Johnson had both the most receptions (five) and the most yards (62) against GB. Smith was held to two catches for 12 yards whereas Stallworth was 1-6, Ward was 1-12 and Bryant was 3-32.

On the other hand, two #3 WR racked up over 100 yards. And TE have done pretty well against us.

So, while we do need at least a third corner (even better if he's a legit #1 corner, and Carroll can become the nickel back--I think Carroll is going to be a solid corner. He's got the ability, he just has to keep his friggin hands to himself, which he's improved upon as this season's progressed). More importantly we must replace Mark Roman at Safety (he's been less of a liability this season, but that's not saying much given last year; he's stopgap at best). We definitely could use an upgrade at LB (I wonder if we could find a new middle LB, and move Barnett over to the weak side. I think he'd do well over there with his speed and savvy. Just hasn't been stout enough in the middle in Bates scheme. Doesn't shed blockers/defeat point of attack well enough.) Could use more depth/talent on DL, though it's definitely an improved unit overall--addition by subtraction, once Cletidus Hunt was gone, some of the young guys began to step up their game.

But the d hasn't been the problem this year. It's been the injuries on offense, and Favre's decision making. The worst part is that nobody on the staff wants to jump on Brett for fear of driving him into retirement. I wish they'd bring in Mooch to ride him like it was 1992 all over again...

Lucius
Posted on Friday, December 02, 2005 - 11:54 am:   

The thing is, they're not gonna get Mooch, and you have to wonder, however much they;re under the cap, if any free agents are gonna want to play with Brett Farve in decline. As to keeping yer own free agents, you're gonna have trouble keeping them.

Did you watch the Packer-Steeler game? Without a pass threat, they ran the ball very well. While saying that the D is improved, you mention that you need help everywhere. What's that about? I don't watch a lot of Packer games, but everytime I see Harris he's chasing after some faster black guy.
'
As for your stats against no 1 receivers -- do you understand the terms double coverage and decoy? How'd the secondary receivers do?

Here's the sich: You're in last place in a weak division, whose other teams are getting stronger, whereas the Packers are trying to find a thumb to put in the dike. Man, its not even fun to hate 'em anymore, and they're gonna be so shitty I'm gonna take up a collection.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 09:30 am:   

Browns starting Charlie Frye today...

Oh boy.....

Laird
Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 09:44 am:   

Price is gone. I don't like carrying only 4 receivers. Hopefully Parcells has somebody on the practice squad...

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 10:02 am:   

I got a bad feeling about the Giants game....

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 11:38 am:   

How 'bout Charlie Frye! 8-11, 180, 2 TDs.

Laird
Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 12:12 pm:   

The tide is turning. Marvelous toss by Bledsoe to Glenn. Thanks, Eli!

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 12:22 pm:   

My God! I spoke too soon. Browns losing.

Laird
Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 12:39 pm:   

Parcells needs a new o-line. Jones can't beat a lineman to the corner...that's just sad.

jeff ford
Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 01:20 pm:   

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...Let's see, Giants 17 and Cowboys 10. Seems like a little ball chopping is in order here.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 01:40 pm:   

Yeah, wow, You guys got a winner in Eli. 12-32, 2 big INTs. As bad as the Cowboys played, the Giants should have won huge...but then they need a QB for that. :-) Compare Eli's ass to Roethisberger and Palmer...well, there's really no comparison, I guess.

On the brighter side, 2 Farve picks for TDs. That's something only BrettFarve could do,

jeff ford
Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 02:13 pm:   

Lucius: I thought they were going to blow it in the last minute and a half again like last week. Not pretty, but, come on, I have to get my shots in when I can. And yeah, a QB would be nice. Onward!

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 02:19 pm:   

Oh, yeah. Shot accepted.

I was just saying if the Cowboys can't beat Eli, they deserve to be history. Not that Bedsoe's a prize.

jeff ford
Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 02:21 pm:   

Lucius: How about that appropriately named pile of a Giant Kicker?

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 03:12 pm:   

Yeah, him and his cuz are both fucktards.... :-)

Josh Rountree
Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 07:13 pm:   

Jeez, the o-line sucked today. When you can't even hand the ball off without a defensive lineman breaking up the play, you know it's gonna be a rough day.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 07:48 pm:   

Yup, That was bad...

It's over...

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 06:21 am:   

Yeah, Eli was not too good, but I preferred Bledsoe's stellar 17 yards passing in the first half. If not for that INT and the short field, Drew would not have found the end zone all day. Game would not have been close, but for Feely's doink and Tim Carter's drop of a perfect 52-yard toss from aforementioned E.M.

Minz
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 07:40 am:   

HEY, Brett only had ONE int for a TD. The other was returned 94 yards, but Tony Fisher busted ass and got the guy outta bounds before the endzone, with only 6 seconds left in the half. So instead of the Pack going in with at least a 10-6 lead, or maybe a 14-6 lead, they were down 9-7. Sure, it was the huge turning point in the game, but it wasn't for a TD. :-)

Brett was so bad, I'll be gravely disappointed if I don't see at least an article or two about how we should start Rodgers...

But on the other hand, we're making a nice solid run at Reggie. The Texans play 49ers last game of the year, and that'll probably settle who gets the top couple of picks. (I'm hoping the Jets will manage at least one more win against one of their division rivals. Although their offense is even worse than ours...)

Lucius
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 08:05 am:   

"Game would not have been close except for...."

LOL! Yeah, the game wouldn't have been the same if the zeppelin hadn't been invented. Jesus, Dave. Take away the fumble that started the second half...

Eli was getting worse as the game progressed. The future looks bright!

Lucius
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 08:16 am:   

Minz, sorry about the error. Actually, if Farve's press conference was any cue, he might miss the game next week due to injury. He had his arm in a sling and his hand bandaged. I figured the bears would rough him up.

As for Reggie, despite the greatness of Clifton and Tauscher, if I were him and GB drafted me, I'd pull an Elway.

It's gonna take a beast to win the Mussberger game.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 08:19 am:   

Interestingly, Eli had a higher completion percentage than the highly-experienced Mr. B. I'll bet old Drew would have liked to take away that fumble! :-) Actually, the future looks OK. A smothering defense, a solid-hundred-yard rusher, good possession receivers. Dallas had better hope it can plug the holes in that o-line, or 38% completions might look like a good day for D.B.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 08:48 am:   

Rave on, Dave. Dallas has been hit by injuries. TBarb, a smallish back, won't last; the receivers,except for Shockey, bite, and the defense has an aging Strahan and substandard corners. Bledsoe's a thumb in the dike, but Mr. 12 for 31 isn't going to ever be anything. Tell you the truth, I think Philly takes back the division next year. So win the SB this year...This is the Giant's window. Hahahahahahahaha...

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 09:42 am:   

See? Laugh and the world laughs with you. Now isn't that better than all that rancor? :-)

Lucius
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 10:25 am:   

That was a rancorous laugh.

Minz
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 12:14 pm:   

Oh, you GUYS! Face it, both your teams stink. In fact, Brett Favre would be an improvement at QB for both of 'em. :-)

Lucius
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 12:27 pm:   

Actually, I agree with the first part of your statement. :-)

Noosh
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 01:10 pm:   

I feel your pain, Lucius, as the Steelers blew a critical game too. I'm still holding out hope that they can get it together and win out, because I don't think 10-6 would be enough. I just don't know where the defense went. They played better against Indy than Cincy, and if this continues they'll make Kyle Orton look prolific next week. Anyway, I'll be pulling for Dallas to take KC down a peg in the wildcard race.

BTW, I just finished reading Trujillo (the novel). Really enjoyed it.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 01:39 pm:   

Noosh, I'm glad you liked Trujillo.

I watched Cincy-Pitt on the commercials of Giants-Dallas and during slow spots (of which their were plenty) and they looked sick...not in the good way. They better get their o-line together and be able to run the ball or less they're gonna get Roethlisberger killed. He don't want to be throwing fifty times against the Bears.

I don't know about KC -- only hope is, their QB is as rotten as ours.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 03:25 pm:   

Trent Green, Gus Frerotte, Brad Johnson, Sage Rosenfels...

...It's like ATTACK OF THE REDSKINS REJECTS...I'm half expecting somebody to sign Mark Rypien.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 02:15 pm:   

Finally the TV pundits are beginning to spout what was spouted on this board some time ago -- assigning blame to the Eagles management for the TO episode. It takes a while for wisdom to trickle upward. :-)

Since Deborah's not here to tout the TOF, I will -- every week the wideouts Bolden and Fitzgerald are pulling down 200 plus yards worth of receptions. Last week, 286 yards. Too bad they don't have a running game. They don't need a Reggie Bush; add a big strong RB like, say, Lindell White to the best wideout tandem in the league, they'll be unstoppable.

JV
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 02:17 pm:   

Go Chicago!

JeffV

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 02:54 pm:   

Go where? :-)

Where's this Chicago bias coming from?

Rick Hauptmann
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 04:25 pm:   

Go where?

Pittsburgh, of course, to win another.

Barth
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 04:54 pm:   

God, no. Is Vandermeer a Bears fan??

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 05:13 pm:   

Oh, OK. They're gonna have to get themselves a new Orton to make in the playoffs, howsomever.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 05:31 pm:   

Barth, either that or else he's mistaken this for the Zoo Channel.

~b.
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 04:19 am:   

Could be. He's usually a squid man, though.

I've actually been watching football the last two weeks and hooted with laughter last Sunday when the Fox Brain Trust said Mike Tice was on track to be coach of the year. If that doesn't say it all...

The Vikes delusions of mediocrity will end as soon as they face a good blitzing defense that hasn't forgotten how to play Brad "Tin Man" Johnson.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 05:23 am:   

Fox Brain Trust, huh? I've never really watched Fox Sports--there's something obscene about neocons talking sports. But Tice, Coach of the Year? Jesus!

Well, the Bears don't blitz a lot, but after seeing what they did to OMF (Ol' Man Farve) last week....

Minz
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 06:44 am:   

Headline from Green Bay Press-Gazette: "Walker gets rid of agent Rosenhaus"

Might be the best news for the Packers since the season began...

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 06:51 am:   

Follow up to news -- Walker to Eagles. Philadelphia plans to put a big push on Walker, and Walker's firing of Rosenhaus is purported to pave the way for that move, since the Eags aren't eager to deal with Drew. Sorry, Minz. It's bad news.

Minz
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 11:23 am:   

Where you getting that from, Lucius. Some Eagle fans' message board?

Walker has another year on his contract, so if the Eagles want him, they're going to have to give something up. The whole point of the Packers not re-negotiating this year (and thankfully they didn't) was there were two years left on his deal, that, and the Packers had little cap room--actually, none at the time he asked. So unless you've heard of a trade, that's probably a bogus report.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 11:30 am:   

ESPN....

This morning, from NFL insider Chris Mortensen.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 11:32 am:   

PS -- He says Walker wants out of Green Bay and is gone, whether thru trade or after a year...

Minz
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 12:02 pm:   

Of course he does. He wanted a big contract. Didn't get it. Got hurt and is in the middle of rehab. Right now, he probably hates the Packers management with a passion. But if his rehab goes well, the Packers will have the cap room to throw serious bling his way next season. And we'll see what he says when the fat offer's on the table and he's catching TDs from Favre. Regardless, I doubt the Pack will trade for less than full value.

Here's some fodder for you. Given T.O.'s comment about being better off with Favre than McNabb, think he'd sign a one-year deal with the Pack? I guarantee GB won't pay him big bucks, hence a one-year deal, possibly with big incentives. He might not even get a better offer.

Spend big money on an OG and RB (maybe Shaun Alexander or Edgerin James, both UFA--I think Ahman's done as a prime starter, too many hits over the years. He could still do some damage, but not enough to be someone's workhorse. And that's if he recovers from a torn quad, which has ended more than one career.)
Walker, Owens & Driver as your three WR. Fully healthy Bubba at TE. The Edge at RB. Watcha think, Lucius. Even Favre might do well with this crew... :-)

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 12:37 pm:   

You never answered the question I asked upthread: What makes you think quality free agents will sign a deal with GB to play with BF in declines. I know, I know. It's all about the receivers, but Farve has made some horrible throws this year that didn't a thing to do with trying to force it in.

Alexander's gonna resign with Seattle - Talks are under way and going well. He wants to stay in Seattle. Edge wants to play close to home and GB isn't closer. TO is more likely to sign with Miami. His Farve comment is as meaningless as anything that comes out of his mouth. Walker wants out and there are lot of teams, Philly included, who're willimg to throw some serious money his way. In other words, Fuggedaboutit.

Minz
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 01:36 pm:   

It's not about money. He's under contract for next year. So unless someone is willing to put up serious trade bait for an All-pro quality WR, he's playing in the Green & Gold for at least one more season. And until that year is done, nobody else can even talk to him about an offer, so the Pack have a year to mend fences and throw money his way. So I think it's waaay too soon to be saying he's going anywhere. What players can Philly offer that'd be worth it? And would they be willing to offer it now, when he's going to be rehabbing that knee right up through training camp? So Mortenson can try and drum up some story, but I think it's about a year too soon to put it out there. Right now, it's a complete non-starter.

With the amount money they have under the cap, I think that FA might consider getting a shot at a ring with a 3x MVP. He's still the same player he was in 2000. His arm strength is still there. Granted, with the lack of talent around him, his decision-making becomes that much more critical, and it's never been a strong suit for him. But seriously, do you think Brett's any worse player this year than he was in 2000. So what's the difference? It didn't reach a head until the talent around him dipped so far. He just isn't getting good/necessary coaching (probably never will again) and his supporting cast was ravaged by injury. But T.O. and Walker are talented and strong enough to go up for those Favre jumpballs and come down with them. Of course, it's a moot discussion, because I can't see Thompson having the cajones to try and buy a one-year team around Brett. Won't happen. (And I'm not even saying it's the smart thing to try and do, longterm. But I've got little else to talk about until the draft...other than Go Texans! Go Jets! Go Niners!)

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 01:48 pm:   

"He's still the same player he was in 2000."

He's not...but it's cute that you think he is. :-) Besides, there's no surety that he'll survive this season. Don't you play the Bears again in Chicago?

Why do I think he's worse? I think he's been knocked stupider. He much less mobile and his arm has gotten erratic. I can't ever remember a season where he threw so many just bad passes, passes in the dirt or behind the receiver. I don't know what to say. It's obvious he's not the same guy.

JV
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 01:50 pm:   

Er, I am indeed a Bears fan. Have relatives there. Haven't had much to cheer for in recent years, so am savoring this run.

JeffV

JV
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 01:51 pm:   

I did, however, mistake this thread for the Zoo Channel, briefly. I think I could hardly be blamed. ;)

JeffV

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 02:08 pm:   

:-)

I kinda like the Bears meself. I love their (and all) defense.

Deborah
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 04:17 pm:   

Cleveland needs to trade Leigh Bodden to Cincinnati since he's apparently on their side already.

And I coulda gone the rest of my life without seeing Sean Taylor step in front of Larry Fitzgerald to pick off a pass again.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 05:28 pm:   

Yeah, but Cleveland's coming, you know. Frye's gonna be OK, As for Zona, I think they'll be ok in a coupla years, a coupla drafts.

How about them Cowboys?

Nice badger commercial, too. :-)

jeff ford
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 05:42 pm:   

And let's not forget that the Giants are in first place in the East, albeit by the skin of their teeth. What remarkably poor showing today, even though they managed to beat the hapless Eagles. Manning through three or four interceptions and Feely nearly hit the upright on that game winning kick (and it was only 36 yards). But all this aside. GO GIANTS!!!!
Cowboys looked great today and Washington didn't look too bad either.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 06:45 pm:   

First place ends next week, but even if it doesn't, I love to think of Eli in the playoffs...Bang, Pow. Zoom. :-)

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 08:52 pm:   

I would just like to quote the sign I saw in Lambeau:

Brett's Continuing Journey Is Our Reward.

Yes, Indeed. Words to live by. He's the one man alive who won't notice he has Azheimers.

Following one of the most ridiculous homer calls ever, the Pack, much to the joy of thousands of assembled idiots, managed to eke out a victory over the hapless Lions. I was pulling for 'em all the way, cause now they have no shot at Bush and still will live in ignominy.

Forrest
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 05:31 am:   

Bush? Seems like the Pack would go for Leinart rather than Bush. If the management has half a brain.

Anyone seen any draft projections yet?

Minz
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 07:02 am:   

Tauscher's holding on that play was clearly in the endzone, so it still should've been a safety. But I'm more interested in the potentially far-reaching consequences. Are we now going to see RBs running the sweep, facing a wall of defenders, casually flipping the ball as far as the line of scrimmage just before they step out of bounds (i.e. ball carries OB, no chance for anyone to catch it inbounds)? Do you start coaching that as a way to avoid a loss? That call is unbelievable. Not to mention I would've rather lost this game!!!

Minz
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 07:04 am:   

And how about those Packer fans? Stadium filled to capacity on a night with sub-zero windchills, for a game between a couple of teams battling for the basement. Let's give them some props!

Lucius
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 08:45 am:   

Well, I think you can count it as a loss Minz.

Props to the Green Bay fans -- that's what I meant, they're idiots.

No draft projections, yet.

Leinert is generally accorded the No 3 slot. The Pack has said they would consider him, despite Rodgers. I think they should draft a QB every year. Minz has been lobbying for Bush.

The top five are thought to be Bush, Demeco Ryan, Leinert, AJ Hawk, and D'Brickashaw Ferguson, but V Young, who's sounding more and more like an NFL guy, is reported to be searching for an agent and could break in there.

Minz
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 09:10 am:   

I don't know about counting it as a loss: -2 on the turnovers and a terrible night on special teams (73 yard return to McQuarters fer crissake, along with having a FG blocked), and still won the game. Though I wish it would've been a loss for real...

As for the fans, I'll take the hardcore Packer fans every time. Here's a tidbit about one of last night's attendees, lifted from GB Press-Gazette: "Eldred Pringle of Green Bay is in his 90s and has attended Packer games for 50 years. In that time, he’s seen plenty of losing seasons. 'I get to every game I can,' he said. 'If we didn’t support them, we wouldn’t be true fans.'"
A-men! A real fan sticks by their team through thick and thin. (And finds an AFC team to root for when the times are thin...)

For the draft: Some folks are putting the Pack at fourth (probably will be four or five), and drafting Mathias Kiwanuka, DE out of BC.

AJ Hawk would probably be the smart pick for the Pack, what with the emergence of Samkon Gado and all. :-) Actually, he would be the smart pick. Put him in the middle, slide Barnett over, where he can let his speed work for him, and the Pack would suddenly have a very good to excellent set of linebackers, especially if Poppinga and/or Manning have a good camp. either that or trade down and try and land Rodrique Wright.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 09:40 am:   

"I don't know about counting it as a loss: -2 on the turnovers and a terrible night on special teams (73 yard return to McQuarters fer crissake, along with having a FG blocked), and still won the game. Though I wish it would've been a loss for real... "

And won over the powerful Lions, yet!

"As for the fans, I'll take the hardcore Packer fans every time. Here's a tidbit about one of last night's attendees, lifted from GB Press-Gazette: "Eldred Pringle of Green Bay is in his 90s and has attended Packer games for 50 years. In that time, he’s seen plenty of losing seasons. 'I get to every game I can,' he said. 'If we didn’t support them, we wouldn’t be true fans.'"
A-men! A real fan sticks by their team through thick and thin. (And finds an AFC team to root for when the times are thin...)"

That's the the kind of factoid that makes sports talk radio so compelling. Let me correct myself: The Green Bay fans are incredible idiots.

And thanks for that definition of a true fan. Having been a Browns fan since the early Cretaceous, I did not know that.

Samkon Gado looked great...against the Lions. He dances around at the line of scrimmage and won't do squat against good DL.

If...slide...move...maybe...

Translation:

The pack will suck again next year.

Josh Rountree
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 03:47 pm:   

Anyone get the vibe that Marion Barber is slowly but surely taking away Jone's starting job? Jones was shut down all day and Barber managed to run even with our patchwork o-line. Plus, he's a great receiver out of the backfield.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 04:24 pm:   

I thought that might happen when they drafted him -- and on ESPN, Ditka said it straight out.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 06:07 am:   

Like I always said: just show Jay Feely a little TLC and understanding and he'll come up with a big kick someday. :-)

I don't care how many paper sellouts the Deadskins have. The upper deck of Fed Ex was practically empty, even for a game the Skins had a chance of winning.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 08:17 am:   

Not even TLC's gonna help Eli. :-)

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 08:41 am:   

I'm sorry, Lucius, I can't hear you from way up hear atop the NFC East...:-)

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 08:57 am:   

.....WAY up? KC oughta take care of the Giants sorry ass. Sitting atop the NFC east is like sitting atop a dungheap,

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 10:28 am:   

Oh, come on...KC couldn't even beat the Cowboys...:-)

Wow. I spelled "here" wrong. That's embarassing.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 11:09 am:   

But they can beat the giants, because when Bledsoe's good, as he was on Sunday, he's way better'n Eli, son of Starchie, brother of Dogbreath.

Noosh
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 11:19 am:   

I just hope KC continues to be a startlingly mediocre road team. They're 3-4 on the road I think. This is purely in the interest of securing the wildcard for the Steelers. I've never been a Dallas fan, but I think I was cheering harder for them to beat KC last week than I was for the actual Steeler game.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 02:46 pm:   

How bout them Vikes? :-)

~b.
Posted on Friday, December 16, 2005 - 12:30 pm:   

The love boat overshadowed this one:

http://www.kstp.com/article/stories/S11209.html?cat=1

Yay, team.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, December 16, 2005 - 12:37 pm:   

Getting charged in this day and age for having a lap dance seems peculiarly Minnesotan.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 10:05 am:   

Anybody catch that eye of Mordor CBS logo they ran before the Colts-Chargers game? Weird.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 01:17 pm:   

The Dolts are Dead! Yay!

John Klima
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 01:33 pm:   

Even better, Houston won.

JK

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 01:43 pm:   

That helps the 49ers -- you a NIner fan? :-)

jeff ford
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 02:36 pm:   

"KC oughta take care of the Giants sorry ass."
Uh...GO GIANTS!
Working on my bowl picks as I write!

Colt's Fan
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 03:01 pm:   

Yeah! The Colts lose. I was getting worried there for a while that they might have an undefeated season. If that ever happened, we would never be able to live with Peyton's ego down here in Hoosier land. Just winning the Superbowel is going to be bad enough.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 04:01 pm:   

Don't count your bowels before they're eviscerated.

Stuff the Giants! They're going to win the East, but that's as far as it's gonna go.

Is Lynn still gonna play?

jeff ford
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 04:59 pm:   

Lucius: She's in. We're doing our picks now. I'll have them to you tomorrow. It shouldn't take long as neither of us knows squat about it. Saw Kong today -- there were some interesting highlights amidst lots of flatness. Too long -- a couple of wrong casting decisions. Did you see it?

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 05:38 pm:   

Yeah, my review should be up today or tomorrow. Thirty minutes of good movie wadded into the middle of a three hour long vanity project.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 08:53 am:   

In a weak NFC, this could be a repeat of 2000 for the G-Men...an improbable Super Bowl run and a humiliating defeat at the Big Show. Provided, of course, that they can get healthy.

Josh Rountree
Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 09:25 am:   

Barring a miracle, the Cowboys are done. What a pathetic underachievement over the last few weeks.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 10:34 am:   

Ditto

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 10:23 am:   

A curious performance by the Pack last night. They appear to have absolutely stopped playing. Unless they get a new coach in there, it's gonna be more of the same next year, because that's the kind of performance that sticks with you.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 11:44 am:   

I'm not as ardent a Favre-basher as you are, but some of those INTs he threw last night were just bizarre. That second one looked like the schoolyard "INT is as good as a punt" play. We had the sound off in the bar, but they kept showing Aaron Rodgers at the end of the first half...Did they actually yank Mr. F?

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 12:28 pm:   

I think Sherman got his permission. :-) Brett wanted to stand around on the sideline and look fondly paternal.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 08:40 am:   

ESPN reports that Tony Dungy's son, 18 year old James, has been found dead in his Tampa apt. Foul play suspected. Dungy has left the Colts and is in Tampa.

Patrick M.
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 07:23 pm:   

Does it bother you guys that the Patriots are going to win another SB this year?

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 09:03 pm:   

Not especially. Anyone who beats the Dolts gets my support.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register