New Pro Thread Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » New Pro Thread « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 07:58 pm:   

By lakewood on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 10:27 am:

Oh, and a mini-rant: I swear to god if someone doesn't beat the Dolts and wipe that shit-eating grin off horseface's greasy lips, I will do something stupid but harmless!
   By Josh Rountree on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 10:38 am:

If Barber keeps playing like he has in the first quarter, Jones will be out of a starting job.
   By Lucius on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 10:39 am:

What you said! The head Dolt must die...Speaking of which, the head Dolt's younger brother just threw a delightful int in the end zone. Can't handle pressure. However, the Deadskins are so inept, they can't move the ball.

I like Jacksonville to do the job....
   By Lucius on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 10:40 am:

What's Barber up to. Not getting the game.
   By Deborah on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 10:58 am:

Lakewood: I try to do something stupid but harmless every chance I get. It's my perogative after 35 years of being a Browns fan.

The Browns are leading the Texans. I saw Dilfer throw a TD pass that didn't get called back for holding. You can almost feel the electricity in the air.
   By Lucius on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 11:05 am:

Yup, we got that right....

Jints are kicking the Redskins back to Palookaville, because Barber's run for 100 plus in the first 18 minutes. Eli, however, is stinking up the joint. Spraying the ball between recievers, to wide-open defenders in the end zone. He's almost worthy of being a Dolt.
   By Lucius on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 11:25 am:

I'd like to revise my estimate of Tice's firing to halftime of the Carolina game.
   By Deborah on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 11:26 am:

The ToD is holding their own with the 'Boys, but I fear that won't last into the second half.

But, *next* year...look out.
   By Lucius on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 11:49 am:

The TOD needs a QB!
   By Lucius on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 12:02 pm:

Do you get the idea that when Eli comes up to the line and does his little pointing thing, he's not pointing up the need for defensive adjustments, he's saying, That guy looks mean?
   By Lucius on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 12:23 pm:

Brett Farve....5 picks so far? Wow. That's the kind of thing that only Brett Farve could do.
   By Lucius on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 07:5

Jenni
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 06:05 am:   

Yo, Lucius! Yep, the Nation has been feeling the Raiders pain around here, but only isolated cries of Dump Turner. I think we all sorta know it’s a moot point – Davis is the coach no matter who has the title. Poor Turner doesn’t even act coach-like. He’s so pathetic at press conferences. Although the team isn’t as downspirited as it was before Gruden’s arrival (kind of like the Vikes right now); the team believes it can do it. Although Moss’s enthusiasm seems to be waning, and that was before his injury (I think it helped cause it).

But Sapp’s certainly on the attack! He sacked my man McNair twice yesterday (out of six total – Ouch!). No wonder McNair has injury problems again this season – I think his front line is weaker than ever.

No wuss penalties in the game, though a controversial one on Tenn for roughness out of bounds during a kick return that nullified Pacman Jones’s 82-yard kick return TD. The announcers didn’t like it because they didn’t see the flag and thought it came late, after discussion. But I remember seeing a ref pointing to something in the other direction as Pacman ran by with the ball, and thought there was a penalty happening somewhere. The replay did show a Raider getting shoved when he ran out of bounds, and again when he came back in. But it wasn’t anywhere near where the play was going on. Tough break, but finally in the Raiders’ favor. That kind of thing happens all the time – usually holding somewhere that would have had no effect on the play, but nullifies a great gain or TD. We’ve all suffered those! And it must have put Pacman in a bad mood – later he threw a half-assed shove at Porter sprinting down the sideline toward the end zone, and Porter stayed in bounds and went in for 6.

And now Jordan is doing a goal line dance – he strummed a guitar like a country singer (since they were in Nashville). How embarrassing. Raiders don’t do goal line dances.

Wow, can you believe the game at the Meadowlands? I think Barber had a “play one for the Gipper” thing going. In fact, a good day for RBs named Barber: Marion had a couple of scores for Dallas.

I know there are always upsets every week, but I didn’t expect the Niners to be able to fend off the Bucs (no Halloween candy for Chucky). SF almost ran out of QBs, (I thought they were going to have to call in Rattay from the opposite sideline), and had to bring in Cody Pickett, who used to be one of their many back-up QBs and plays special teams in order to have a place in the line-up. One minute he was defending punt returns, the next, he’s leading the offense. What a hoot! But SF did have had a defense (a nasty surprise). I think the Bucs’ souls were still in transit from Tampa – they didn’t seem to be quite there yet.

And I thought Houston would stay winless. Carr said it was a messy win, but since they didn’t have any, they’d take it. (Good, realistic attitude.)

There was a bit of Tice death knoll on the CBS post-game show: Boomer was quite clear that the Vike’s season is over and it’s time for Tice to go, though he was diplomatic, saying that Tice is a good coach … for some other team.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 06:28 am:   

Jints win the old-fashioned way, with defense, a great o-line and pounding the ball. Eli not good, but doesn't need to be when everything else is clicking. Let's hope we can sustain it.

Wow! You guys were right...All those Aints needed was a real home game to show their true colors! :-)

Lakewood
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 06:38 am:   

Houston for crying out loud!?!

Alas, poor Cleveland, I knew it well.

Josh Rountree
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 06:46 am:   

Lucius - Barber rushed for something like 130 yards with two touchdowns. Granted, it was against the TOTF and the line created holes you could drive a truck through, but it was pretty impressive nonetheless.

Highlight of the day -- Eagles got smacked!

lakewood
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 06:50 am:   

Granted i'm just some punk, but here's my advice for the Cheesers: sit Farve on his ass for the next game. Send a message to Brett, to the fans, to the team. When's the last time a qb threw 5! fucking ints in a game and started the next week? This isn't the Brett Farve show, people, it's the GB Packers. Let the fans know that the team is ready to move beyond Thunderfarve. There's no future there, only lost glory.

Without F-boy, how much worse could they get? 0-7. That's where they're headed anyway.

At the risk of seeming like I'm distracting from the Dawgs woes, I don't see the Pack winning a single other game this season unless they make some *huge* changes right now.

What do you think, cheeseheads?

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 07:53 am:   

Gee, Lakewood...there's little need for me to post anymore. Actually, the idiots on ESPN are asking the question, Should Farve be benched? Which even as a Farve hater, I don't buy.

The Browns...I can't speak.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 08:11 am:   

Jenni, thanks for the Raider news. It was probably the best game yesterday. Good to hear my man Warren is still happening. As for the Chuckies....weird. Yeah, Tice has to be gone, now, or else Ziggy's a complete idiot.

I take it Barber will be the starter, huh? :-)

Dave, the Jints aren't diddly. In this league, one team can come in and shut down LT, and give up a hundred yards each to a couple of no name backs the next. They can come into a game last in defense in the division and pitch a shut out next time out. An all--pro QB can start out 0 for 12. Rickey williams has 11 yard rusing and gets seven times that much versus the Saints. The leader of one division goes out to the West Coast and gets beat by the worst team in the league. Do you get it? The only thing a reasoning human being can take away from the Giant game is that Eli is long, long way from being Peyton...that you can take to the bank.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 01:12 pm:   

Barber didnt rush for 130, Josh, he ran for 206.

Lucius, maybe the calibre of American football is declining radically, but somebody is still going to have to win the NFC championship this year. They ain't gonna store the trophy in mothballs until teams get good again. And if everybody stinks, then it's anybody's to win. You can bemoan it, or you can enjoy the free-for-all.

That's where you and I differ. I don't mind it when things are up for grabs, instead of a "dynasty" winning every year.

And as for Sunday, a good game is a good game. It doesn't mean any more than that, but I'll take it.

LOVING how piss-poor the Eagles looked!!

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 01:29 pm:   

You don't care the football sucks, huh? That's where you and I differ.

It's all about the uniforms, right?

As for Sunday, too bad you can ressurect old Well and off him every week.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 02:10 pm:   

I'd rather see close games than blowouts. If that can only be accomplished by spreading the talent around and disabling Goliaths, so be it.

It's not "all" about the uniforms, but I do love a good uni...:-) Speaking of which, did you get a load of those Bengals monstrosities?

Yeah, those emotional "Gipper" type rushes are hard to sustain through a season. It'll be interesting to see how we cope with the letdown next week. Fortunately, we're playing the Niners, who are playing that 4th string rodeo clown at QB.

Josh Rountree
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 02:11 pm:   

No word if Barber will start after the bye, but Julius has to be sweating bullets.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 02:28 pm:   

OH, you were talking about Marion, not Tiki. Sorry about that...

lakewood
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 02:50 pm:   

Uh, Dave G, you're aware that the 9ers offed the Bucs with "that 4th string rodeo clown." Just saying...

Now don't get me wrong Lucius, I like Favre. He's a gamer, loves to play football, like a big kid. Useta make passes that beggared belief. But. What sort of statement does it send to your team and your fans that you won't even try something else. Break the damn starting streak. Wake people up. This ain't no hobby. Guys are out there risking their well-being and their careers on every play. If anybody knows about that, it's the Packers. If you're not suiting up to win, why risk limb and paycheck? And right now, the Pack is not suiting up to win. They're suiting up to keep bfarve's legend burning.

Now I do hate to sound like the doofuses on tv, but I guess I'm not the only one thinking along these lines. As long as I don't sound too much like Keyshawn, I can live with it.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 03:19 pm:   

I get your point, Lakewood. But without Farve (god I hate saying this) the Pack would stink so bad, they'd wouldn't be a professional team. They'd get beat 50-zip every fucking week. Which is fine by me, but not for the league. I don't give a shit, really. Let the Rodgers era begin. Bet Minz doesn't feel that way.

I heard on tv Barber's the starter after the bye.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 03:24 pm:   

You'd rather see close games than blowouts? Like last week. I'll wager there were more close games before free agency, and I know there were more quality close games.

Yup. The Bengal unis were awful.

Minz
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 03:51 pm:   

I've been swamped beyond belief (was in the office until 11pm on Fri), though I imagine if the Pack weren't such pathetic shell I might've had a chance to poke my head in here sooner. (In my defense, I haven't even had time to read real BADger coverage, must less read the Packerbashers. In fact, I didn't even know the Milwaukee Bucks had traded Des Mason until three days after it happened.)

Okay, before you talk about benching Favre, look what's playing around him. We've got our #2 WR, our #5 WR, and three guys that couldn't cut it in arena league. Bubba Franks has been hurt all year. The backup TE missed this week. We're starting our #3 RB, and the two guys behind him could only hope for an Arena League tryout. I didn't see the game, and I don't care about the 5 picks, the guy's leading a rec-league offense right now, and the last place I'd put the blame is on him.

And starting Rodgers with this pack o' rejects around him could easily destroy the kid. The last thing I want to see is a huge controversy because they bench Brett, adding huge pressure to Rodgers, and then the kid gets out there with an offense utterly bereft of talent and gets his butt handed to him and has his confidence utterly destroyed. That'd be even worse than watching Brett throw five picks.

This is just a perfect storm of injuries, and you ride it out and hope for the best. I wish that the Packers would actually get blown out rather than doing well enough to compete until the end of games. Then you could actually play Rodgers a little and get him some experience in a low-key way.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 04:01 pm:   

I agree, Minz, but that said, they oughta play Rodgers some anyway, because it's over for this year.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 04:21 pm:   

Oh yeah. Have fun in Madison

Jenni
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 05:15 am:   

Lucius, thanks for taking an interest in my Raiders. You're a gracious message board host.

Lucius, lakewood, and Minz, you're all correct about Favre and the Pack. They're all of the above.

Re uniforms: the Bengals still have great helmets!

I'm still stoked I finally got to see McNair play this season, and that he played the whole game (with a brief break -- Volek reminds me of Eli, whining-wise; go away!). Don't know why McNair jazzes me so -- he's got flair and pizzaz and class. But then, football is a large part emotion, isn't it? Stats, schmats, who gets me riled and/or excited!

Lots of mixed emotions: hate certain teams, but like some of its elements (ex: Eagles/McNabb; Indy/Dungy; exception: 49ers -- hate 'em all :-))

Jenni
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 05:40 am:   

Hey, what's up with the Steelers? Barely squeaking by the Ravens, who are minus Lewis and Reed? (Not that I'm complaining, just surprised.) Did you see Deion blitz Roethlisberger? Nice! And nice to see the Bus is still in business. Got no loyalties in that match-up, just certain players I like. You Browns fan must have been pleased, though.

Roethlisberger looked like a spoiled child complaining about the review on Mason's out-of-bound catch in the last 2 minutes (just SOP nowadays, nothing to worry about, it was obvious).

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 06:25 am:   

Deion hit somebody? He musta tripped trying to get out of the way...

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 08:00 am:   

Jenni, it was a division game, and they're always tighter than people expect, and the Steelers may have taken the foot off the pedal a bit.

Deion blitzed in pre-season--I saw him do it two or three times, but I haven't seen much of the Ravens since then, so I don't know if this was unusual in the regular season.

What's not to like about McNair? He's a little beat-up and getting sorta long in the tooth, but he's been a great player. And Jeff Fisher's a seriously underrated coach.

I like Roethlisberger. Been a fan since his Miami days. So he had a bad moment? He engineered the winning drive and he's a solid guy generally.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 10:22 am:   

Jenni, these are things I hate.

Hate Brett Farve.

Hate all redskins, eagles, and giants. Eli's nickname should be, "13-31, 150."

Hate the 'Niners, but it's not much fun anymore.

Hate all things Manning...and "things" is the operative term.

Don't hate, but detest the Seahags.

Hate Modell and the Ravens (but like Ray Lewis and Ed Reed)

That's about it.

Noosh
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 01:14 pm:   

Cue the music: "Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens..."

Big Ben had an MRI today. Looks okay, but both knees have been injured now and we're not quite halfway through the season. It's a touch worrisome considering one of the backups hasn't seen any significant playing time since what? 2001? And the other accomplished the astonishing feat of losing a game twice in overtime a couple of weeks ago.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 01:26 pm:   

They could sit him next week. All they got facing 'em is GB....

I don't like kittens much, either

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 01:59 pm:   

Noosh, that's funny. I typed the exact same opening line, but decided not to post it...As long as there are peeps on the board who think like me, I can't be nuts.

Can I?

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 02:16 pm:   

Noosh and Dave G, sitting in a tree.... :-)

lakewood
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 04:56 pm:   

I'm generally (you'll have to take my word for it, I suppose) not the sort to kick someone when they're down, so I'll make up for my bad behavior by being the first to applaud if the Pack goes out and wins next week with Farve at the rudder. I prefer my eggs over-easy.

On the Browns, I've been doing some looking ahead, and I'm not happy. I think they have a shot against the Titans, McNair and Fisher notwithstanding. They've got the Vikes coming up, and with Culpepper out, it's probably a win. But there's several weeks to go for that matchup, and the Vikes might manage to pull something together by then. Let's face it, the Texans beat the Dawgs, so anything's possible. (This is the Cleveland Browns I'm used to. It ain't over until the refs have showered and lights are turned off.)

Otherwise, there's Miami, Jaxonville and Oakland. Three distinct "possibly"s.

Thene there's the Steelers twice, Cincy on the road and the Cravens again.

4-12, maybe. Oh well. Crennel can turn them around. i know he can.

In the meantime, go Bungles!

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 05:38 pm:   

I only kick Farves when they're down.

Crennel will get it done.

Don't count on Jax for a win.

Jenni
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 06:04 am:   

Just gotta toot Deion's horn when I can. So many Deion haters out there (hi Dave). (As I recall, he was on Minz's most-hated list, too.)

Good call on Ben, Lucius, to sit him out. Why take chances? As you say, it is only GB. (I like him, too, it was just so out of character to see him in a tizzy.) And I know what you mean about it not being fun to hate the Niners anymore.

Wow, lakewood, thanks for the vote of confidence on the Raiders as a "possibly." I like to think that, but I'm afraid the other teams in the AFC West are all better (well, they've all been playing better, but of course the Raiders really are the best :-) ). But it's a strong division, so there's no shame in that. I still harbor hope, usually in the form that the Raiders will rise to the top because the others get beaten. Of course, we still have to play Denver (2x), and KC and SD once apiece. But every week I still believe we can do it! We've got lots of talent, and look at how much Collins has improved -- just 2 INTs this year.

I like kittens and Favres. I'm leery to go on record about who I hate -- they might end up a Raider some day! Never liked Michael Irvin much, who comes to mind because of his recent comment that if Favre was the Eagles' QB, they'd be 7-0. Out of the mouths of TO cohorts. (Oh, god, please don't ever let TO be a Raider.)

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 06:38 am:   

I liked Deion, cept when he was a niner.

I like Irvin as a player, but as a commentator... well, he's a commentator.

Still don't like kittens, but I have to admit the man's who's made the Pack the Atlanta Braves of the NFL with his timely INTs...He's provided me with a lot of entertainment.

I doubt they'll sit Ben, but i'd go with Batch and bet on him to win in GB.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 06:40 am:   

Oh yeah. TO a raider? It's inevitable. :-)

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 06:53 am:   

Jenni, as much as I dislike Deion, the last thing I would ever accuse him of is needing anyone else to toot his horn. He's quite a solo tooter.

Noosh
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 07:02 am:   

Dave G., not only do we think alike, but my wife is a big Giants fan. When we actually get to see a Giants game I watch with her, because hey, it's football. But my allegiance is to the Black and Gold, lest Lucius think that the quota for Giants fans on his board has been surpassed. We're actually getting both games locally this week, so we'll be watching in separate rooms.

I don't think Ben will sit this week either, but even if he needed longer, they've got Cleveland after GB.

lakewood
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 07:37 am:   

Well Jenni, I haven't seen a Raidahs game in years, so I'll have to take your word on their ability. I'm going by record/opponents and highlights (It's all very scientific; to predict Brown results, assume they will lose half the games their supposed to win, unless you predict they'll win one game they're supposed to lose, in which case... but you get the idea. If it's an option, take their opponents and the points, always.) The Browns might beat the Raiders, but probably won't. It's all in the magic substance of Paritonium. Who comes out flat? Who gets injured between now and then? Who's bucking for free agency? It's all mysterious.

I agree with Lucius on TO. He'll be in the silver and black before he gives it up for the studio. Sorry, Jenni.

I never count on a win for the Dawgs, Lucius. Hell, I'm not even pencilling in a dubya in the Vikings game.

The Vikes are their best chance to win.
After that, I like their chances against the Titans this week coming.
Maybe Miami, but they've had highlights this year in the post-Wannstedt era, so I'm not sure.
Less likely is a win over Baltimore.
Less likely still, a win over Oakland.
Then Jaxonville.
I'd say P-burgh and Cincy is 0-3. (Ouch, Noosh.) But, like Lucius said, that inter-division rivalry stuff can surprise you. Will the Dawgs allows the kitty cats to beat them twice in one year? I think the Steelers are just too much for them, Big Ben or no.

I guess it all comes down to: that's why they play the games. I'll get back to work now, alas.

lakewood
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 07:40 am:   

Oh, and I loved the Bengal suits last Sunday. I'm an orange fan. They looked like real tigers out there. GRRRRRR!

Noosh
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 08:12 am:   

I almost added a "Sorry Lakewood" on the end of my post. But stranger things have happened. The Steelers have struggled in a lot of gimme games over the years. You can always hope for Maddox to get into the game.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 08:33 am:   

Noosh, no quotas for Giant Fans, but quotas for people who think like Dave....Maybe. :-)

And yeah, even when the stillers have been good and the browns suck, the games have generally been competitive.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 09:54 am:   

Lakewood, if you are an orange fan, does that mean that you even dug those hellaciously ugly orange shirts the Fins donned for Monday night last season?

Noosh, you've obviously got a good woman there. Hang on to her.

Lucius, I am not convinced there IS anyone else who thinks like me, so you're safe...

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 09:48 am:   

Some seriously crappy games this weekend. I can't find a one I want to watch.

Noosh
Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 01:47 pm:   

Big Ben had arthroscopic surgery to remove a piece of cartilage from his right knee. Batch is definitely starting against GB, and Ben will more than likely miss the Cleveland game too. Bettis is apparently going to miss GB also.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 02:10 pm:   

I think that's a good move. they might drop a game, but it'll pay off at season's end.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 07:54 am:   

Packers - Pitt. I can't wait for the INTS to begin. :-)

Does anyone blame the Eagles for the TO thing? I think they should have paid TO. They coud have dropped some cash on him after the SB and ensured a good season. It's not that they can't afford it. And he deserved some consideration after his super bowl perf. They handled TO all wrong. It's like a woman thinking she can change a man by marrying him. One has to question why so many of their player wind up walking away.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 06:28 am:   

You can't spell "TOOL" without "T.O."

Don't know who's to blame, but I'm LOVING the whole Philly implosion thing.

I kinda think TO has comported himself like an ass from the beginning: alienating the Niners, forcing a trade, whining his way off the Ravens, getting signed by the Eagles and publicly dissing the guy responsible for the franchise's rebirth, pouting his way through training camp, etc. You can't really blame the Beagles for not wanting to coddle the guy.

The only person who comes out of this looking great is Skip Bayless, who predicted a year ago that TO would blow up the franchise.

Minz :-(
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 08:20 am:   

How 'bout those Packers!!!

Lucius
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 08:38 am:   

The Packers? Did they play?

Lucius
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 08:50 am:   

Everything you say is true, Dave -- my point is, they knew what they were getting and they didn't have a plan to handle him. That's on the eages.

As far as Bayless goes, hell, I predicted it, my friend Bill Tuttle predicted it, half the world predicted it. Just about the only people in the country who didn't predict it wee the Eagles. They were too arrogant. They say they don't renegotiate and then they go and renegotiate Brian Westbrook? Come on, man. They're as weak as TO. That's a childish in your face. Bayless is an idiot. He makes a thousand predictions a year. Some are bound to work out.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 09:42 am:   

I would say there is plenty of blame to go around for everybody in the City of Brotherly Love.

The question is where are they going to unload him now? Who would sign him after the Philly debacle?

Lucius
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 09:56 am:   

Well, I wouldn't rule out a return to the Eags for the remainder of the season, but there are always teams who'll take him for a one year fix. I like, personally, to think of TO as a Packer. :-)

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 10:45 am:   

Do the Niners really play in a stadium called "Monster Park"? That's just wrong.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 11:03 am:   

Yep, But still and all, the Niners are playing hard. They may be monsters again someday.

Minz
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 07:10 pm:   

We're so desperate for any kind of a playmaker on offense right now that I'd be willing to take him--for the remainder of this season only, of course. Ala Andre Rison, sign him out of need, and as soon as the need passes, dump him.

And before we all say the eagles were idiots, remember the whole beef is based on the fact that the iggles hedged their bet on TO in the first place, and the deal is structured in such a way as to allow them to dump TO fairly painlessly. (IIRC)

Lucius
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 07:20 pm:   

Minz, the eagles are idiots. They had a plan to get rid of him, but they didn't have a plan to keep him....and that's stump dumb. They could have gone to the Super Bowl again. Now I doubt they'll make the playoffs.

Josh Rountree
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 07:25 pm:   

Must we place blame here? Can't we all just bask in the radiant light of the Philly franchise burning with green hellfire? Surely there's enough blame for all to share.

It doesn't get much better than this.

Colt's Fan
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 09:16 pm:   

I won't say anything. :-)

Lucius
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 09:32 pm:   

No need. It's halfway through the season. The Dolts are still an unsound, unconfident team. They were waiting to be cracked in the first half. NE didn't have enough people to crack them, but with Seymour back, maybe one or two more, they would have. Somebody knocks the Dolts off before the Super Bowl. If they draw San Diego in an early round, maybe before. God, I detest that twitchy huckleberry....

lakewood
Posted on Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 06:32 am:   

This was a suitable time for the Dolts to beat the Pats. NE has troubles. (At least as much trouble as the Pack, but I'll simply note NE's decent record, and the Pack's not-even-in-the-nfc-north-do-they-have-a-shot not-so-decent record.) Take away the Pat fumble deep in the red zone and turn the Dolt td at the end of the first half into a td, or even a fg, and the game has a very different feel going into the second half. Big difference between 21-7 and 14 all. Not to mention the momentum shift.

And, hey, maybe it was my anti-manning-o-vision, but did p-boy come out hostile toward Tom Brady at the beginning of the game? I saw a horrible grimace on p-boy's face and a generous smile on Brady's face. I think.

I hope you're right about Indy Lucius. They don't look solid, but a dubya's a dubya. All they need is a break or two, and horseface--- oooh, I don't want to think about it.

Apparently it's hyphen-day here in lakewood.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 08:27 am:   

4?\?-manning stuff, lakewood, makes my heart squrim in my chest like a big red, wet rat! Surely your sentiments are those spoken from the very soul of Amurica! We can only pray that god hears us and sends a serial killer with a meathook to gut and hang Archie's hideous spawn.

San Diego beat NE worse and at home.

This is just setting up the Dolts for their inevitable fall.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 01:50 pm:   

Pro football news flash: two Carolina Panthers cheerleaders kicked off the squad for having sex in a bathroom stall at Banana Joe's in Hallandale, Florida and brawling with a patron waiting to use the john. A third suspended for giving one of the underage brawlers her ID.

I can't wait for next year's edition of the Blitz The League video game...

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 02:08 pm:   

Jeez, that was big news yesterday. Todays news, they are booked on the Howard Stern show, they're in talks with Penthouse, and there are discussions about movie and book deals...

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 02:26 pm:   

Just when the league needed a feelgood story...

I had a good belly laugh at some of the stuff in the official bios...

http://www.juiceenewsdaily.com/1105/sports/panthers.html?1131401275484

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 03:06 pm:   

Oh, man. If I'd a known they were UNC-Charlotte girls... I pledged a frat my freshman year at Carolina and if you didn't have a date for a game or some function or another, you just called up a sorority at UNCC and they'd be right over. I don't know how to put this, but they didn't exactly hold out on you :-)

Makes me wistful...

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 11:39 am:   

Atlanta-GB is my highlight this week. There should be some fun fumbling and a whole mess of groovy ints.

In the real world, Pitt-Browns...yes.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 02:12 pm:   

Speaking of Atlanta-GB, I'm thinking Time of Possession about 40--20. It's gonna be a painful extraction. :-)

minz
Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 05:41 am:   

Welcome to Bizarro World: While the Packers may be 1-7, they've actually outscored their opponents, 168-159. It boggles the mind...

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 06:11 am:   

Well, 1-8 oughta change all that. :-)

I never seen such a bunch of bad games on the schedule as this weekend. Oak-Denver might be good if I gave a damn. The rest....Eww!

I guess I'll watch Brown-Steelers out of a sense of tradition.

Hope you feel bettter, Minz....

lakewood
Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 06:11 am:   

Take away the NO game, and it's a different story. Minz, I swear to god I'm gonna stop bashing your team. I just can't stop rsponding to your hope with snarky glib soundbites.

We ever meet, the booze is on me.

lakewood
Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 06:12 am:   

Whoa, that's weird... hiya Lucius

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 06:46 am:   

Hey, LWood.....What up?

Yeah, Minz has gotten pretty hit-and-run lately. Think it could have something to do with the Pack outscoring their opposition 168-159? :-)

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, November 13, 2005 - 04:57 pm:   

Let me be first to congratulate the packers on salvaging their season. Not only did BRETT FARVE remind us that he stands for everything that is good in America, in his postgame comments he showed a deep humilty and a profound compassion for someone otther than himself. It's really beautiful to think that pack now can point for four, perhaps even a heady five wins. Long may they so continue.

Minz
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 09:28 am:   

Ahhh, all is right with the world. The Pack finally win one, so Lucius stops feeling sorry for them and lets loose with his usual candor. If we can beat the Bears and the Vikings, I'll be happy. (Reminds me of the first 23 years I was a Packer fan).

Of course, my scarcity on the boards really isn't a byproduct of the Packers being on their fifth starting halfback :-), but rather the shakeup on the Del Rey staff resulting in a lot more work for yours truly. (Okay, if they were winning, maybe I'da found a way to be around a little more...it's actually been good for me, workwise, because I barely skim headlines these days, and waste a lot less time reading about sports.)

Lucius
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 09:35 am:   

We should stop talking about the Pack and concentrate on those late season collapses the BADgers seem prone to...

Huh, Minz?

Minz
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 01:17 pm:   

I can live with the BADgers season. They're right about where I thought they'd be, best case scenario, given the talent they lost off both the d-line and the o-line. Woulda been nice to finish off Iowa, but even after the big wins against Mich & MN, I thought we'd lose at PSU and a/g Iowa--they just match up well against us.

At least we didn't lose to South Carolina.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 01:26 pm:   

Just every season ends in a whimper. I couldn't deal with that. But you have in recent year lost to MAC schools. And you wouldn't beat Michigan now.

As to SC, hell, I didn't really mind losing to Spurrier. And if you played 'em, you'd lose too.

Besides, I always got the Canes....

Lucius
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 09:27 pm:   

Yee Haa, Cowboys win. Pretty good game, too. And it didn't hurt my feelings any that MacNab couldn't finish.

Minz
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 09:05 am:   

>>Just every season ends in a whimper.

You mean except for the three seasons they won the Rose Bowl, including being the very first Big Ten team to win back-to-back Rose Bowls, ever. (And, in fact, were considered underdogs for all three of those Rose Bowls.)

In sixteen seasons, ten bowl appearances (as opposed to six appearances in all the years preceding him.)
The years given are the season (as opposed to year of bowl game, if it's Jan 1 or later):
'93: Rose Bowl upset victory over UCLA
'94: Hall of Fame Bowl, whooped Duke (yeah, well...)
'96 Copper Bowl: whooped Utah
'97 Outback Bowl: um, UGA had some fun that day
'98: Rose Bowl upset victory over UCLA (who were double digit favorites no less)
'99: Rose Bowl: upset victory over Stanford (hey, I didn't set the odds...)
'00: Sun Bowl: victory over UCLA
'02: Alamo Bowl: upset victory over Colorado
'03: Music City Bowl: Auburn, well, see '97
'04: Outback Bowl: UGA, who were favored by 6, barely hung on to win by 3

So that's 7-3 in Bowl Games, (and, in fact, 7-3 against the spread in Bowl games--didn't cover in '00)

So, which fade are you referring to? Last year, when we lost half of our DL to injury, including both All Americans, and our preseason All-American RB only played five games all year? Or this year, where we were playing over our heads, and after having four DL get drafted, suffered through FOUR season-ending injuries to DL, but still were in the possible mix for the Big Ten title right up to our last BT game of the year. Whatever...

Didn't anyone ever tell you to never corner a BADger?

Time to get back to my lunch.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 09:24 am:   

Never corner a BADger...cept, apparently, when you're a member of the SEC, your superiors in every way.

You list all these injuries -- every team has them. Last year when Eric Winston went down, you didn't hear me blowing it up as an excuse. Shit happens. The fact remains, lately you've been petering out at the end of the year. Bowl games aside (I can't believe you brought up the copper and hall of fame bowls!), you limp in at the end of the season. The two RBs are nice, although the first is really another era -- but basically you guys wimp out at the end of the seaso and get yer ass kicked by every decent team you play.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 11:36 am:   

As opposed to BC, who have a long string of bowl victories...:-)

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 12:07 pm:   

Not to mention that, no....

How good to see the Eagles (Philly) die!

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 12:33 pm:   

I should add, it would be nice if the bungles beat the dolts this wknd.
If they do I doubt Indy will win home field, because they're gonna lose at least one more game.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 01:46 pm:   

Hey, I don't even begrudge a Cowboys win, just so long as it's Donnie Chunkysoup going down!

I would have loved to have been sportswriter in the locker room who got to say: "Boy, you guys sure coulda used T.O. tonight!"

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 02:16 pm:   

Yeah, no lie. Especially after that Ronnie Brown drop.

Laird
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 07:16 pm:   

The Giants/Vikes game was so very ugly. NY should be ashamed. They deserve two in the L column for that one.

Gotta love everybody in the NFC East ('cept the 'Boys) taking a nosedive this week. God, I hope Eli Manning stays healthy.

Josh Rountree
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 07:57 pm:   

The Monday night game was...well, it made me feel all special inside.

Roy Williams said afterwards he was excited they'd won the game because the fans had egged the bus on the way to the stadium. Typical Philly crap. That was a great win for the Boys and a devastating blow for Philly.

The Eagles are done.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 08:01 pm:   

You want Manning to stay healthy? Who's his backup? I hope he gets a sports hernia and limps around like a spry old manning until the last game of the season when he gets stomped into puppy chow by some designated mugger.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 08:08 pm:   

Yeah, I heard about the bus. I loved the TV kept showing that fat guy with the green wig -- he was like the soul of Philly, all glummed out and nasty.

I don't know about them being dead. I really like that QB from Rutgers. He never had a chance in Detroit, because that jerk Millen wanted his boy Joey to have the job; but he woulda beat us last night if he'd had a worth a shit receiver. That's what makes all this TO shit so cool.

Laird
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 08:24 pm:   

Lucius:

Oh yes, I want to see Eli stay right where he is--tantalizing NY supporters with dreams of his eventual emergence as the second coming of Phil Sims. Meanwhile, his erratic decision-making is going to cost the Giants dearly this season.

As for backups, Scott Brunner could've come off the bench and done a better job against the Vikes. And I don't mean Brunner Circa 1980. I mean Brunner wherever he was on Sunday strolling behind his walker.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 09:13 pm:   

Okay, Laird. But I want to see him in pain, too.

Laird
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 09:40 pm:   

When I said healthy, I meant, "not mangled beyond recognition."

I regret Dallas KO'd DM right before the damned Eagles/Giants game next week. Now that the Cowboys have swept em like dust bunnies into the trash bin, I'd like to see the Eagles play spoilers. Donovan would've been handy in that regard.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 10:02 pm:   

They still might--I really like Mike McMahon.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 06:03 am:   

And the eagles have named McMahon the starter against the Gi-Ants. His OC, Marty Morningwig (sp?), was his coach in Detroit, so that should ease the transition. McMahon is mobile, more so than McNabb, and when last I saw him had a more accurate arm than McNabb. Plus the Giant's defense sucks--he could be a surprise.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 08:26 am:   

Don't start waving that NFC East banner yet, Lucius. The Boys are no world-beaters, either...The Giants shall rise again!

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 09:09 am:   

I'm not waving a banner, but the Giants are gonna get smacked down sooner or later...And I just love the fact that Eli's your guy. He's the perfect QB for the Giants.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, November 18, 2005 - 06:44 am:   

If the TO situation wasn't coming to a head, we might hear all about the Rams -- coaches duking it out on the sideline, players calling out the DTs, saying they're just collecting paychecks. With parity, we get soap opera, I guess. The NFL as dumbass reality show. Boy, that was a good idea, huh?

Lucius
Posted on Monday, November 21, 2005 - 09:28 pm:   

Go Pack Go!

Oh,,,,Oops. Sorry. :-)

Barth
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 05:18 am:   

Thought of you, Lucius, as the MNF brain trust analyzed the Favre's ball control, close-ups of the master's hands - boy, look at how he holds that pigskin! wow! - then zing: the master hits Vikings corner Brian Williams right in the numbers on the very next play.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 05:50 am:   

Yeah, that was special.

There's a new version of the Lambeau Leap, I hear. Gaining in popularity, Climb to the top of the stadium, shove a brat up yer ass, and jump.

The Rodgers era. It has a good ring.

Shuttles here. Happy holidays.

minz
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 06:30 am:   

Congrats, Barth.

In a way, I'm relieved. Now it's officially over, I can start thinking about draft picks. Obviously, we need an rb. DL and LB could use an upgrade. I'm glad they're playing the younger OL. Let's hope the D keeps working hard and learning to play as a unit.

To be honest, last night's loss falls on two people's shoulders: Favre, and Bates. Bates needed to get KGB out of the game and put in someone who could stop the run in the second half, but he never made the adjustment. That being said, we're probably better off with the loss. No real hope for the playoffs and now we can get the younger players some experience. It'll be interesting to see if the team starts to quit or not.

While Brett had his usual bad throws (like the one into triple coverage that hit Williams on the numbers--luckily, it was the numbers on the back of his jersey), that Williams pick for a TD was a timing route. Brett was already throwing the ball as the receiver was making his break. The WR slipped on the break and didn't come back far enough. I know, I know, good ol' apologist stuff. Favre should've had at least three picks not counting that toss anyway. Could've been four if the Vikes could actually play D. But the Williams pick for a TD wasn't a terrible throw (far from his worst of the night.)

Colt's Fan
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 10:10 am:   

I enjoyed the Colts/Bengals game a lot although I was a bit perterbed about the defensive side of the Colts. Lucius's "Freney and the Eleven Dwarves" comment from weeks ago is starting to haunt my every waking moment. Oh, the horror!

lakewood
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 09:34 pm:   

Been a while. Hmmm.

Okay the Packers beat the Falcons, and noone (except maybe BF) was more surprised than me. Although I maintain it is more accurate to say the Falcons lost. Wha' happa' anyway? ATL is a contender?

Anyway. The Browns beat Miami. That's good. They might do better than expected. I guess I've learned not to vote against a man named "Romeo." I wonder what his life's been like.

The bleepity bleepity Dolts beat Cincy. That's not good. Somebody stop that bleepity bleep bleep bleepity bleep bleep bleeeeeeeeeeeeep bleep! bleeeeep!!!! bleeeeeeeeeeeep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anybody catch da Beers suits a couple weeks ago? Very nicely orange; they should don them more often. By the way, I'm picking CHI to win the NFC. Oh, you laugh now... but I'll never vote against a man named "Lovey." I know what his life's been like. They're for real this year, and that little boy with the pasted on beard playing QB is ever so smart!

Barth
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 07:13 pm:   

Jeez, I can't even muster the umph to properly rub your nose in the Vikes' sweep of the Pack, Minz, so deep is my NFL ennui. But your gentlemanliness is duly noted!

Happy Thanksgobbling, foo'ballers. Go, Denver, or whatever!

Lucius
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 04:37 am:   

Can't even beat the eagles...Wow.

Anybody notice that the entire NFC East lost last week?

Minz
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 06:42 am:   

Well, not the entire NFC East...

As for me, I actually found myself rooting for the Iggles when the Pack were nursing a 14-13 lead. I'm hoping we'll win the Reggie Bush sweepstakes. I just hope the team doesn't completely disintegrate in the process.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 06:55 am:   

Before anyone says a word, I've had all I can take of this garbage.

What I mean is: being a NY Giants fan is like being a publicist for Anna Nichole Smith. You become so accustomed to explaining away/apologizing for inept, slapstick, embarrassing, goofy behavior that you become inured to it. It's like second nature. Eventually, it doesn't even bother you anymore.

The Giants have lost games that were virtually in the books as "W"s in every conceivable way you could imagine: fumbled handoffs on the last play of a game, a botched snap from center, absurd 40 yard completions into prevent defenses, multiple special teams foul-ups, you name it. Our history (forged from the blown "greatest game ever played" in 1958) has been one of almost superhuman chokecherry football. And Sunday we added a new, illustrious chapter.

You can't say Strahan, Amani, Tiki, Eli, Jeremy or anyone else blew it. It all falls on the shoulders of one scrub kicker. Granted, a 53 yarder is a lot to ask, but when you have one, two, three chances to be a hero and miss them all? Well, suffice it to say, this guy should have been tossed off the team bus before it even reached the airport. WWTD? What would Tuna do? As we have recently seen, kickers who cost teams games are dispatched instantly. Coughlin had better damn well do the same. And while he's at it, he should get the special teams coaches to help Jay Feely with his bags on the way out. You would think these dopes would have learned the value of special teams play/kicking game after the SF debacle of 2002. They are a collective disgrace.

This is just the kind of game that lets the air out of a season and signals a prolonged slide into mediocrity.

Seattle is not a better team. They just have a kicker is all.

And even the most ardent Jints-hater will acknowledge that the reversal on the Shockey catch-and-fumble was the most blatantly corrupt bit of homerism seen in football this year. That ref should be shitecanned as well.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 07:23 am:   

Yeah, but who you gonna get? Feely's had a good year til yesterday. At this stage, you're not gonna pick up anyone dependable.

Gotta admit I'm smiling. :-)

Next week's the game that matters.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 08:31 am:   

It's almost out of Coughlin's hands. Missing three winning kicks is practically slapping the guy in the face, calling him a beeyatch and daring him to fire you. I call it the "Cortez Principle". Keep feely on and there can be no "put up or shut up" discipline on that squad, ever. Hell, the guy who PK'ed for Rutgers three years ago could probably have made one of those FGs...

The only consolation I can take from that game is that the Jints pushed the Shitehawks defense down the field when it mattered. If not for the blown call on the Shockey challenge, one of those FGs would have been a chip shot I could have made.

The Jints can either get mad about Seattle and come out fired up, or they can fold their tents and go out like punks, as they did after last season's Philly game. It will be interesting. For the record, I won't be watching. I've seen how this movie ends...

Josh Rountree
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 10:06 am:   

Yep, Dallas has had quite a few heartbreakers this year too. Thanksgiving, wasn't even the worst...

I have a feeling that next week's Dallas / Giants game will decide the division. Should be a good game.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 10:32 am:   

Let me know how it ends. I'll be reading...

lakewood
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 02:13 pm:   

Well now, I'm in an odd position. Usually it's me bemoaning some sorry-ass Clowns mistake that cost them a game. I feel your pain, Dave.

However, my nightmare is a NYG/Horseshoes Super Bowl, which I would have to antiwatch by finding a way to expunge the telecast from the airwaves, obliterating its very existence. So I can't say a Giants loss made me sad.)

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 03:24 pm:   

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I root against the Colts myself...

Colt's Fan
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 09:14 pm:   

Colts-26, Steelers-7

I'm going to have sweet dreams tonight.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 10:18 pm:   

probably about peyton running naked through wheat. :-)

minz
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 10:27 pm:   

Hey Dave: What about the Shockey TD Catch where he clearly never got his second foot down before he was lit up. Clearly was not a catch. CLEARLY never got that second foot down. Not complaining about that one, are you? But yeah. Ouch. Feely's gotta be feeling the love.

That being said, that's the nature of the beast. We've lost two games this year directly because of kicking game. Of course, at this point, I'm glad we lost 'em.

We now return you to the Reggie Bush sweepstakes. C'mon Texans!!! Win some games!

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 05:17 am:   

Seriously, Minz. You think RB is gonna save your ass? Farve's obviously coming unglued, Sherman hasn't a clue, the OL and the DL are in shambles, the secondary is a joke, and Reggie Bush is gonna be a savior? I repeat, you'll get him killed. You'd do better to trade the pick for an extra one and a bunch or lower round picks and try for a massive fix. You can't afford RB.

That said, good point about Shockey.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 06:15 am:   

Minz: didn't see the alleged Shockey non-catch. I only saw the one where he tucked the ball away in the crook of his arm, turned upfield and ran two steps before fumbling and having Tim Carter recover. You know, the one that set a new precedent for what an "incompletion" is and pushed the Jints out of easy field goal range.

But no point crying over spilt milk or dumb calls. I'm sure everyone has their share. The only issue now is if and how the Jints are going to bounce back. Traditionally, they have a history of collapsing after heartbreaking losses.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 07:26 am:   

Well, the one that Minz mentioned set a new standard for what a completion is.

Like I said, comes down to next week.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 07:34 am:   

Mention oughta be made of the CYA move of the week. Matt Millen's firing of Mariucci. The Lions were 5-27 before Mariucci, 15-28 since. And he achieved that record with Millen's lame draft picks. Millen, I hear, plans to bring in Jim Haslett. How does this guy keep his job.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 07:57 am:   

He's pals with all the TV commentators, so nobody will trash him.

Colt's Fan
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 09:59 am:   

"probably about peyton running naked through wheat."

This is Indiana here. It's corn, not wheat in my dreams. Get your facts straight!

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 10:29 am:   

They been trashing Millen all over ESPN.

Wheat, corn, the precincts of hell, downtown Indy (where I once spent a week in a Swiss Chalet)...It's all the same.

Colt's Fan
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 02:34 pm:   

Ummmmm...sodomized by wheat on the stalk or sodomized by corn on the cob, a fairly common hoosier ritual? (For the most part, we're not gay. We're just bored as hell). And you say it's all the same? It's a sad day. Never in a million years did I imagine that I would feel compelled to call Lucius Shepard innocent.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 07:11 am:   

Oh I know you're bored, CF. My week in the Swiss Chalet taught me all I needed to know about the delights of Hoosier life -- Garner Ted Armstrong and so on. Bored is a euphemism. However, the fact that Indy is the actuarial capital of the countrty must give you some pride.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 07:14 am:   

Dave, let it be noted that the NFI admitted the refs blew calls on 2 giant TDS which were not scores. Legitimately, the Giants weren't even in it.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 07:41 am:   

Really?

No, not really...

KIRKLAND, Wash. -- The NFL denies telling the Seahawks that officials erred when they ruled two New York Giants touchdown receptions complete in Seattle's 24-21 overtime win.

Seattle coach Mike Holmgren said Monday that the league took the rare step of admitting officiating mistakes in the game Sunday. The league said in a statement released Tuesday that reports that it told the Seahawks of officiating mistakes on the two touchdown receptions were inaccurate.

"Our officiating department never discussed with the Seahawks the Amani Toomer touchdown reception, which was properly called," the statement said. "The Jeremy Shockey touchdown catch at the end of the first half was not overturned because the referee determined that there was insufficient visual evidence to reverse the call."

For what it's worth, I saw the Toomer catch and it was unquestionably in bounds.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 07:47 am:   

I saw the whole game. The NFL's just in CYA mode. Why would Holmgren say that if it wasn't true? He's prone to that sort of excess. Cmon, there was nothing unquestionable about the Toomer catch.

And let me point out that I'm far from a Seahags fan.

New thread below.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register