Good Movies 24 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » Good Movies 24 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 07:49 pm:   

By Robert on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 09:46 am:

I didn't think the Coscarelli one was terrible. Not good, but I was able to watch all of it without getting too bored. I can't say the same thing about some of the films the other directors have done, which is why I expect worse from the others.
   By Lucius on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 09:55 am:

You know where I lost it? When the old geezer starts in with his faux-hillbilly gabble. I've seen that too many times and this was a particularly noxious example. I began to lose it when our heroine, in the midst of running for her life, whups out her girl scout knife and whittles out a stake, digs a pit, covers it with branches, rigs a booby trap...Man, either that was one slow monster or he stopped somewhere for wine and a cigar.
   By Lucius on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 10:00 am:

ATC, you mean Bailey wrote the Cascarelli episode? Whooee. Too bad.

Actually, I've got some hope for the Larry Cohen episode.
   By Robert on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 10:41 am:

I think ATC is talking about a future episode. Coscarelli's episode was by Joe Lansdale.

The heroine didn't dig a pit, she found one. Still, the monster was pretty damn slow. But if you gave up then, you missed the bland twist ending (why does everything need to have a twist?).
   By Lucius on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 10:54 am:

Yup, missed the twist. Darn. I missed the pit finding too. My attention was lapsing. Well, DC made Bubba Hotep, and for that I forgive him much.
   By Lucius on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 10:59 am:

Why does everything have to have a twist?

That's one of my pet peeves. They're becoming the stone about the neck of horror...
   By Adam-Troy on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 12:25 pm:

The Lansdale story, I mean the prose story, got by on the sheer energy that infuses all of his action tales. It did occur to me that as a FILM, it would need to be made with consumnate artistry to avoid ordinariness. (His "Night they Missed the Horror Show," or "Steppin' Out" (I think that was it) might have been more distinguished, unusual films.) I haven't seen the episode, so I can't say.
   By Lucius on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 12:59 pm:

Not familiar enough with Lansdale's work to comment.
   By ben peek on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 02:37 pm:

i thought BUBBA HO-TEP was a pretty static film. if not for bruce c and the guy playing JFK, i reckon it would've been pretty boring. the prose version just irritated me, though. there's a mysognistic level to landsdale's work that comes right on out and annoys that shit outta me and this was one of the cases.

(i've enjoyed his hap and leonard novels, though.)
   By StephenB on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 02:50 pm:

Twists can be good, and they go way back in the horror/thriller genre. Vertigo, one of Hitchcock's best films, depends on its twist, in part. Oldboy, another good one, utilizes a twist to good effect.

It's the same with any narrative. The reader or viewer likes some surprises. But that doesn't mean they have to have major twists, or whatever. Of course, twists can also be gimmicky and bad.

I've heard a lot of good things about that Turtles Can Fly movie. Haven't seen those other ones you've watched recently...
   By Lucius on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 02:58 pm:

For me, there's too much else I want to read, Ben...but I liked Bubba Hotep for much the reasons you did.

Twists, Stephen, have become endemic. That's what the objection to them is about.
   By ben peek on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 06:16 pm:

i don't read lansdale's stuff now, simply cause there is other stuff i'd rather read. but like i said, i liked the hap and leonard stuff, so i checked out his other work. didn't much like that, which is the way it is at times. he does a new hap and leonard novel i'll go for that but that's where it begins and ends. thus my lansdale knowledge comes to an end

most twist endings these days aren't very twist like, i've noticed.
   By Lucius on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 06:29 pm:

Don't know the hap and leonard stuff. I've read like about three short stories and broke it off. Too comic bookish splattery for me.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 10:51 pm:   

Went to a screening of Jarhead tonight. If I were to try and sum up the movie in a single word--and I thought long and hard about this--the word would be "pointless." Gyllenhall's good, but his role is ridiculous. He's the guy who hates the Corps, yet he's also the most gung ho guy around. Which makes me give more credence to my thesis that Swofford was one of those guys who joined the corps to write a book -- he was oh so sensitive and oh so brave. The movie reveals that Marines are fun-loving young men who are a little psycho and extremely dangerous. I guess this is supposed to be eye-opening. Don't waste your time is my advice.

JTS
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 12:40 am:   

Just got back from seeing the proposition, And I have to say I'm pretty damn impressed.

Its essentially a western set in the australian outback, the year isn't specified but it's seems to be set around the late 1900's. Guy Pearce plays an outlaw given a proposition by the local law enforcer, to kill his brother who was responsible for a brutal slaughter of a local family, and he will not hang his younger brother whom he is much closer to.

The story then concentrates on both the law enforcer (played by ray winstone) and Pearces journey and rendezvous with his older brother.

Brutal yet almost poetic with some brilliant performances and cinematography by European D.P. Benoit Delhomme( the sunsets over the australian landscape are truly spectacular) I'm not sure when this will be released in America but I definately recommend it.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 03:26 am:   

Sounds great, JTS. I love Winstone, so I don't need much encouragement to see this. I can't wait for the Australian DVD, which will surely predate any American theatrical release.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 06:40 am:   

I'm a little late jumping in, but my $.02 on Masters of Horror. I thought the first installment was a disappointment. The otherworldly psycho-stalker conceit made me sigh when I saw the commercial. Done to death. I agree with Lucius' point about this sweet young thing (well, maybe not so sweet) taking time out from blind panic, with a psycho in hot pursuit, to build this Rube Goldberg contraption out of twigs and things she found in her purse. (And, of course, it worked perfectly!) This was dumb stuff.

Even more ridiculous is this beautiful, smart, seemingly-together woman going out on a first date with this lumpy, balding sociopath whose first utterance betrays him as a complete doofus, and she is immediately into him, not even realizing, as he peels off his shirt for wild sex, that he has a white power cross tattooed on his arm. Then, she goes ahead and marries him, even though he's a psychotic, survivalist cretin who babbles about "mud people." Didn't that bit bother anybody?

Overall, the story and its "twist" were kinda pedestrian. The only really noteworthy thing is that being on cable allows the show to amp up the gore level to a very grisly, very contemporary one, which is novel for TV.

I haven't seen as many episodes as some of you have, but next week's Stuart Gordon installment looks much better.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 06:42 am:   

Also, this wknd, I had a chance to screen the Noe film IRREVERSIBLE. I would describe it as a black-clad, Gitane-smoking, student of existential philosophy with the soul of a grindhouse usher. Basically, good old exploitation cinema gussied up as philosophical meditation. I KNOW you guys must have thoughts on this one!

Robert
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 07:32 am:   

Dave, the "romance" angle of the story bothered me more than the Rube Goldberg contraptions. It was more unrealistic seeming than anything else in the show.

I'm not a fan of Stuart Gordon so I'm not getting my hopes up for it.

I hope my rental for tonight will be good (Box 507).

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 08:17 am:   

Irreversible was a vile piece of crap. Misogyny tarted up. It made me feel unclean to watch it,

Yeah, the romance bothered me, but I figured they'd justify it somehow. Guess they didn't.

MarcL
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 08:21 am:   

Prepare for Stuart Gordon to make a big lumpy mess of yet another great story. Hopefully it'll be so unrecognizable that nothing will come off on the original.

You ask how Mick Garris gets to be a Master of Horror? By being an executive producer. He's the Harriet Miers of Horrormeisters.

There are a few of these I'm curious to see, but not many.

(I suspect Sam is bracing for the reaction of this list to the Joe Dante episode...)

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 08:29 am:   

Why is Sam bracing? Did he write it?

Oh, Garris is producer, huh? Well, that explains it.

Yeah, I'm not getting all giddy about the Gordon episdoe, either.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 08:33 am:   

What the letters say: Don Coscarelli = Lord, a sci-"clone"!

What a couldn't figure out about IRREVERSIBLE was what all the screwy camera movement was supposed to be all about. If people were made ill by jittery camera movement during BLAIR WITCH, they must have been in intensive care after IRREVERSIBLE. It just didn't advance anything; it only made things harder to follow. Hey, I am not averse to a little ultraviolence, but IR was definitely excessive. Extremely excessive. The Monica Bellucci rape scene would have been far more effective if it was a fraction as long. And that first murder was, I think, the most disturbing thing I've seen on film, aside from the Zapruder footage.

What really disturbed me most about it was Noe's very glib-seeming tack-on of a portentious philosophical epigraph at the very tail end of the thing, as if it explained everything we just went through. It seemed like the very very worst kind of disingenuousness. "Time Destroys All." What? That's all you got?

Forgive me for saying this, but the French seem to revel in dressing up this sort of exploitation. Exhibit A is IRREVERSIBLE; Exhibit B is BAISE-MOI, which was hardly better.

Let's get grindhouse out of the arthouse and back into the grindhouse where it belongs.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 09:05 am:   

I chose not to review Irreversible because I figured it didn't need the tiny bit of PR my review would give it. I found the Belluci rape plenty disturbing. All nine minutes of it. The movie was previewed at Cannes and was controversial, but not that controversial.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 09:55 am:   

I can guess the answer to this question, but has anyone seen a British spoof entitled, I Bought A Vampire Motorcycle?

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 10:13 am:   

I've seen it advertised, but never seen it...

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 11:14 am:   

And Marc, who is Harriet Miers?

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 11:49 am:   

Lucius, you can't be serious! She was the Bush Sup. Ct. nominee that just went down so spectacularly in flames!

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 11:51 am:   

Oh fuck yeah. I was thinking about my story and whiffed on it.

MarcL
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 12:14 pm:   

I was just referring to the fact that Miers was on the selection committee before being selected. But one could say the whole board of Masters of Horror is cronyism in action. Which is fine. It's not like anyone's destiny hinges on a democratic selection of horror masters. I've been making my way through Curb Your Enthusiasm, which is an assemblage of cronies. I mean, I like my own cronies just fine, and I like working with them. Which is why I won't be going into politics. And why I'm sure Sam's script is going to be top-notch. (Sam will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he wrote the script for the Joe Dante episode.)

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 12:50 pm:   

"It's not like anyone's destiny hinges on a democratic selection of horror masters. "'

You obviously have not been told...

MarcL
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 01:26 pm:   

Personally, I welcome our new horror masters!

MarcL
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 01:26 pm:   

I would be more likely to watch a HBO series called MASTERS OF SCHLOCK.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 01:43 pm:   

Well, I'm with you on that. I doubt I'll waste time on the rest.

StephenB
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 02:00 pm:   

Saw Jacob's Ladder... good movie. Makes you wonder how much it's based on real military experiments...

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 02:06 pm:   

Go see STAY, you can see JL again.

StephenB
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 02:11 pm:   

Yeah, some of the "master" choices, are a joke. Some are questionable.

I'm gonna watch the first episode sometime tonight... maybe I should be baked?

I think the series will be mixed quality, with some disapointments, but maybe also some surprises.

Stuart Gordon's Lovecraft episode may be alright. I liked Dagon.

StephenB
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 02:29 pm:   

William Malone, who's he? A friend of Mick Garris, I suppose. Fear Dot Com: anyone see that? Probably sucks. The House on Haunted Hill remake wasn't that good. So he's made a couple recent movies that probably aren't good. Hardly a master, at all.

John McNaughton? has he even made more than one horror movie?

Lucky McKee? He's made one movie. Anyone seen it?

Originally they had a better lineup, but some of the directors they wanted must have turned it down, for whatever reasons.

StephenB
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 02:36 pm:   

So Lucius, are you sayin' Stay's good but JL's better?

MarcL
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 02:40 pm:   

Must've been fun to hang out at the old-timey messages boards.

Ambrose Bierce has got a new 'un out, fellers. Called "Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge." ***SPILER ALERT!*** Turns out, the feller's daid! Just read something called "The Outsider"! +++WOULD READ AGAIN! Only trouble is ***SPOILER ALERT*** turns out the feller's A-LOOKIN IN A LOOKIN GLASS! Hey, here's another that'll tickle yuh, feller named Oedipus Rex, turns out he ***SPOILER ALERT*** skrewed his ma! Well, who ain't?

MarcL
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 02:42 pm:   

I think he's saying they're both exactly the same and they're both ***SPOILER ALERT*** "Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge."

StephenB
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 02:43 pm:   

Or are you saying Stay's a JL ripoff?

Stephen
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 02:44 pm:   

Okay... haven't read that classic story, though I've read Bierce.

MarcL
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 02:45 pm:   

There was a time that in my adolescent opinion, a short story wasn't worth its salt if it didn't end with a shock-twist ending of the O. Henry variety. If it was in italics, I liked it even better. Bradbury did it best, but his weren't actually full reversals...they were more like perfect punctuation for something that built slowly to a point. They're very hard to do well, and like anything rare, they lose value when they're everywhere.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 03:01 pm:   

Marc said it, Once you seen one Owl Creek, you've seen 'em all. This one gives it away so early....a Spoiler alert would be redundant.

As for Masters of Horror (TM) I'll watch the Cohen and the Miike. If I get the flu or something else icky, I might watch another.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 06:49 pm:   

This little gem might speak to you:

For Your Height Only / Challenge of the Tiger (NTSC Region 1)
For Your Height Only is a legend among lovers of truly ‘out there’ Cinema. A film about a two and a half foot tall Filipino secret agent; A kung fu master and suave loving machine who struts his stuff in a Travolta style white suit. Also featuring Bruce Le (leave off the last E for excellence) in CHALLENGE OF THE TIGER - which contains the show stopping nude tennis match - in slow motion

StephenB
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 03:50 am:   

Watched the episode and found it weak, as well, for some of the reasons mentioned. I think it'll be one of the weakest episodes.

The Dante and Cohen look good, and the Hooper, Argento, and Carpenter, could be good too. Same with a few others.

The Garris and some others sound lame.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 04:34 am:   

If it's one of the weakest, Stephen, why did they open with it? More likely, it's one of the stronger episodes.

Adam-Troy Castro
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 05:16 am:   

Or, Lucius, one of the easiest to categorize.

It's the action-based tale of a woman vs. a serial killer: as basic a horror trope as they get. If any good, it would start the series off with a bang, perhaps get audiences a little slower on the uptake to stick around for any later, higher-concept, or more character-based offerings. It would certainly be a little easier to get a handle on than a subsequent ep I confess I'm curious about: John Carpenter's entry about a lost cult film that drives audiences insane.

No judgments of quality either way, as I haven't gotten my hands on screeners yet.

Robert
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 06:39 am:   

I thought it would be one of the stronger episodes simply because it was Coscarelli. He's entertained me more than many of the other masters. If one of the directors I enjoy produced something bad, it doesn't bode well for the directors I don't enjoy.

kellys
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 07:15 am:   

Chances are, the only reason the Coscarelli led off is because it was the first one completed.

Lucky McKee's only film, May, showed potential. He seems to have knowledge of not only horror films but of film-making itself. Most "horror" directors seem so ill equipped to direct a movie. So his Masters of Horror episode could be worth watching.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 08:13 am:   

ATC, judging by what I saw, somehow I don't think this series is gonna get all that high concept.

As to whether it was the first finished, I don't know, but I assume they've got a bunch of them finished, and they chose this from among them as the opener -- ie, they thought it was a strong opener, for whatever reason.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 08:22 am:   

As for McKee, I didn't much care for May and advance word on The Woods is very bad. Not expecting much from him.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 08:27 am:   

Well, it's nice to see a horror anthology show on TV, at any rate. There hasn't really been a good one since "Tales From the Crypt" went off in 1996. And it will be interesting to see what they do with the license that pay cable gives them.

I haven't had a chance to see the new Night Stalker series, although what I've read is not good. Anyone seen it?

Anybody seen a movie called TRESPASSING or EVIL REMAINS?

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 08:31 am:   

I got a real bad yuppie vibe off the Night Stalker. Haven't seen it. My feeling, catch it quick, 'cause it's going bye-bye.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 10:01 am:   

What do you mean "yuppie vibe"?

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 10:08 am:   

I mean, they got this guy dressed in black, all Hugo Boss and shit, doing this sensitive voiceover....Not Kolchak. That was the only good thing about the old show, and this one is more like the Night Assistant to the Producer.

StephenB
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 01:23 pm:   

Well, regardless of why it's the first episode, I still think it'll be among the weakest. They probably thought it'd be a good accessible opener.

You could almost view it as a comedy, partly, like Bubba Ho Tep -- if it were funny... This tall tale doesn't hold up. What else has Coscarelli done, anyway?

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 01:33 pm:   

Phantasm.

If it's one of the weakest, I'll be shocked.

StephenB
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 01:58 pm:   

Thing is, Coscarelli's made at least one good film out of two (is the other one worth watching?). That's also in part, due to Campbell and Landsdale. Carpenter's made a lot of movies, some of which are good. His last one was a stinker, but that doesn't mean he won't ever do anything good again. So let's not discount the guys who actually are masters, too quick.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 02:19 pm:   

Well, if you'll forgive me, that's exactly what I'm gonna do, becuase life's too short...

StephenB
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 02:25 pm:   

Fair enough.:-)

Robert
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 05:26 am:   

Carpenter's last ONE was a stinker? How about his last four? It's been 11 years since Carpenter made a good film, and that was after a few other stinkers. After too many disappointments I gave up expecting anything good from him. I'd like him to prove me wrong but I won't hope or expect anything good from him.

The Phantasm movies aren't very good, but when I saw them as a kid they did creep me out. I can't say the same for any other horror franchise, most of which I thought were laughably bad when I was a kid, and I have a lower opinion of now.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 06:47 am:   

The last four are pretty bad. Been 11 years since he made a decent flick. Can't wait for the Thirteenth Apostle. Gee, I wonder what that's about.

Robert
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 07:20 am:   

Watched Box 507 last night. That was a pretty good movie. Lucius's comments from a few months ago were right. a pretty cool Spanish Thrlller with a Chinatownish complexity. A bank manager survives a robbery and is locked in the vault and finds evidence in a drilled open safe deposit box relating to his daughter's mysterious death in a fire seven years before.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 08:20 am:   

Glad you liked Box. The Spanish are making pretty darn good thrillers these days -- I've got four or five more in the stack to be watched, as well as a couple of dark fantasies.

StephenB
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 01:31 pm:   

Ah, well, of his last four, I've only seen Ghosts of MArs. I figured his vampire movie might be alright, as cheesy fun, at least -- it's got James Woods...

I liked the original Village of the Damned, for what it was. I did hear that his remake sucks.

Since the 90s, he hasn't done much..

StephenB
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 01:58 pm:   

Don't forget Psychopath. How original.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 02:15 pm:   

Vampires was for shit. Beyond awful.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 06:12 pm:   

Machuca -- Andreas Wood's semi-autobiographical film is set in Santiago Chile during the last days of Salvador Allende's gov and the first days of Pinochet. Gonzalo, a kid from a well-to-do family, and Pedro Machuca, who live in a illegal shanty town -- these two 11year olds meet when a priest, the head of Gonzalo's private school, decides to admit poor children. Their friendship bridges the rigid Chilean class system, but politics inevitably drives a wedge between them. Incredibly well-observed, the side characters are exceptionally well drawn, especially Gonzalo's mother, who's sleeping with a wealthy older man and embodies the parakeets, that the name given to beautiful, self-absorbed, shallow women. I can't say too much about this movie. Perhaps because I was down there shortly after the junta took over, I found this exceptionally moving and beautiful. But whether or not you were privy to those events, those days, this film will affect you. It's great, and it's an important document.

S. Hamm
Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 12:55 am:   

Marky Marc,

Sam ain't bracing for nothing because Sam, having just seen the finished version of the Joe Dante episode -- which is, yes, Dale Bailey's "Death & Suffrage" with a tweak or two; the returning dead, e.g., are Iraq war veterans -- is happy as a pig in shit. And you just KNOW Sam is happy if he's using pig metaphors.

StephenB
Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 01:08 am:   

You do realize that pigs don't wallow in their own shit, right?:-)

How 'bout, happy as a pig in Israel?

ben peek
Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 02:32 am:   

VAMPIRES was awful, so was VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED. i did, however, quite like ESCAPE FROM LA. that was the last decent carpenter flick for me--is that within the last four? though i watched GHOSTS OF MARS without too much bother. it was easy b-grade fair.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 04:45 am:   

Monsieur Hamm doubtless is referring to Hollywood pigs, Stephen. They're an aberrant breed. Congrats, Sam. Look forward to seeing it.

Ben, ESCAPE FROM LA is included in the last four. I didn't hate it -- Kurt Russell's usually worth watching -- but it wasn't up to the first Escape. Ghosts of Mars was essentially a remake of Assault on Precinct 13.

I hate to draw attention away from Masters Of Horror, the late John Carpenter, et al, but I want to stress how good Machuca is. It's really good and very satisfying to say. Try it. Ma - CHU - ca. Very cool sounding word. You just walk into a bar somewhere and say, Machuca, and watch the bartender start to quiver. It'll make you a better person to see it. It's more fun than the Macarena.

Nathan Ballingrud
Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 06:21 am:   

Speaking as a bartender, Lucius, I think it's irresponsible for you to be tossing out that kind of information. I'm gravely disappointed.

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 06:36 am:   

Lucius, if you like K.R., did you enjoy DARK BLUE?

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 07:29 am:   

Nathan.....MACHUCA! :-) How's that Terry Brooks Conversation going, I had to drop out, my saliva was starting to get thick and ropy.

You betcha, I liked DARK BLUE. Far superior to the horrid Training Day

Nathan Ballingrud
Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 07:40 am:   

Gah! Stop saying that! You're making me spill my coffee!

I think the Brooks exchange is petering out. I fear my own posts may have gotten too boring and started putting people to sleep. Oh well.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 07:44 am:   

Nah, I think it was the subject that was too boring. I lost it when Colleen suggested I be grateful to Terry for my career. :-)

Robert
Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 08:04 am:   

I got a kick out of her mention of George Lucas. Are we supposed to be impressed that a guy who can't tell a good story thought Brooks was the only one capable of writing his crappy story?

Besides Box 507, can you recommend some other good Spanish movies?

MarcL
Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 08:36 am:   

Sam, you've been right in the past about stuff you felt was gonna be crappy, so I'm glad to hear you think it's good. I'm looking forward to that, although I probably won't see it till it's on a compilation DVD.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 09:43 am:   

Robert, off the top of my head, Fausto 5.0, City of No Limits, 99.9, Lisboa, Nos Suspiran, Silencio Roto (about the Basques after the civil war), Crimen Ferpecto (black comedy), El Sol de Membrillo and History of the Beehive by Victor Erice. In a Glass Cage is kind of a Spanish Apt Pupil, but it's controversial for its violence. As I was thinking about this I remembered the superb Argentine thriller Nine Queens.

Not to mention...MACHUCA! :-)

Robert
Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 10:36 am:   

I've seen City of No Limits and the Erice films, but the rest are new to me. I added some to my rental queue (can't find Crimen Ferpecto on DVD, can't find any info on Nos Suspiran). Thanks.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 10:58 am:   

I goofed....it's Nos Miran. Another good one is Killing Words. And there's a short film that's on DVD called Escarnio that's way cool. And there's one I haven't seen yet based on a Campbell book, The Second Name. And a Mexican film by Arturo Ripstein called Deep Crimson, which is really good.

MarcL
Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 12:14 pm:   

ma-CHOO-ca!!!

Lest we forget.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 12:14 pm:   

http://www.diabolikdvd.com/category/Browse-All-Titles/Ferpect-Crime-(Alex-de-la-Iglesia)-(PAL-Region-2).html

Url for Crimen Ferpecto on dvd

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 12:21 pm:   

Oh yeah! Machuca....Ma-choo-choo-chuca. Like macho, but chuc-ier...

Nathan Ballingrud
Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 01:12 pm:   

Awright, dammit. No booze for ANY OF YOU!

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 01:26 pm:   

:-)

StephenB
Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 02:05 pm:   

I'll definitely see Machuca, but it's gonna be hard to find, I think.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 02:12 pm:   

But oh so worth it!

Check the libraries you have access to.

StephenB
Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 02:30 pm:   

I've checked libraries for movies before, and they pretty much only have nonfiction and docs... I'll look into it.

S. Hamm
Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 06:54 pm:   

Nathan,

VISINE!

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 07:45 pm:   

Yeah, Nathan, I'll have a Visine Sour, go heavy on the... Machuca!

Nathan Ballingrud
Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 08:09 pm:   

You like sour drinks, hm? Why am I not surprised . . . . :-)

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 08:50 pm:   

Well, actually, as you know, I take my whiskey straight...

But yeah, sour works.

Nathan Ballingrud
Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 09:49 pm:   

With Sam's help, next time I pour you a whiskey, it won't be quite as straight at it appears. Unless, of course, you swear off saying Mach-- Machu-- . . . you know.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 10:04 pm:   

Machuca? Okay, no more Machuca. Except on National Machuca Day and various other Machuca holidays.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 10:24 pm:   

Watched VENGEANCE IS MINE, Shohei Imamura's terrific character study of the serial killer, Iwao Enokizu, and the murderous rampage that sparked a 78 day nationwide manhunt, exposing in the process the seedy underbelly of Japanese society. Two and a half hours long, it surpasses all other criminal portraits, revealing the tragic banality underlying Enokizu's excesses. A marvelous performance by Ken Ogata as Enokizu and a terrific cast, especially Asano Haru, who plays the owner of a rundown inn, Enokizu's lover and last victim. Throughout, Imamura put his characters under an exacting lens, as much entymologist as auteur. What a great picture.

JTS
Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 12:39 am:   

Christ, so many good movies to watch.

You are going to send me broke you know. :-)

Lucius
Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 04:34 am:   

Yeah, well. I know the feeling. But seriously, this is a good one. Imamura is a director who's coming into vogue and is considered an ikon by Miike and his generation...

MarcL
Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 10:38 am:   

The Eel and Black Rain are both good.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 10:49 am:   

I saw the Eel and second the rec. Does Black Rain have anything to do with the Ridley Scott movie.

MarcL
Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 11:44 am:   

Not really:

"Mr and Mrs Shizuma, and their niece Yasuko, make their way through the ruins of Hiroshima, just after the atomic bomb has dropped. Five years later, Yasuko is living with her aunt and uncle, and her senile grandmother, in a village containing many of the bomb survivors. Yasuko does not appear to be affected by the bomb, but the Shizuma's are worried about her marriage prospects, as she could succumb to radiation sickness at any time."

Some unforgettable moments.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 11:59 am:   

I hoped as much. :-)

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 01:02 pm:   

I hear that Reese Witherspoon has a US version in development. :-)

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 01:03 pm:   

Ah, what bliss! Tonight, Masters of Horror followed immediately by fights on SHO! And Sunday night, THREE EXTREMES...

Lucius
Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 01:33 pm:   

Yeah, but it's all upbeat and everything.

Lest we forget -- Miami - Va Tech

MarcL
Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 02:50 pm:   

Just looked at the Amazon listing for MACHUCA. I'll have to dig up the movie for sure. My grandfather immigrated from Chile when he was a young man, but a lot of his family remained and my mom went back and lived there for a time when she was a teenager. I remember my old great aunt visiting us in California, and arguments between her and my mom about what was going on under Pinochet. The old lady insisting it was nothing, nothing, everything you heard was lies; and my mom getting madder and madder.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 03:34 pm:   

This doesn't deal with many of the abuses, it's about the transition, and deals with the politics in an allusive way until the end, but it does so powerfully. And yeah, your gramdmother-mother thing was the generation gap in Spades down there. When you watch it, pay attention to the mother character. One of the "parakeets." That's so beautifully done. I had a relationship with such a woman, albeit younger, and I found the movie character fairly chilling. You'll like it, I think, plus which it so much fun to say, Machuca.......

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 04:36 pm:   

Don't know what it is about that generation. I had a grandmother from Sicily who swore there was no such thing as the Mafia...

Lucius
Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 04:43 pm:   

...and yet she knew there was....Machuca!

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 03:29 am:   

Saw a Brazilian black comedy, Man of the Year, dir by Jose Fonseca, about a man who decides to dye his hair blonde and find it changes his personality to the point that he becomes a killed. He kills a man who everybody fears and is soon celebrated by his neighborhood.-- this in turn sets him off on a career as a hit man. Makes an interesting counterpoint to City of God...

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 05:29 am:   

Hey, Marc...have you seen this one?

In this second, award-winning interpretation of a novel by Shichiro Fukazawa, director Shohei Imamura has inserted some scenes of violence and ritual sex that are shocking and were absent in the first, 1958 film.
The story is set in the 19th century in a remote and severely impoverished mountain village in northern Japan. In this fictional society, once the elderly have reached the age of 70 they are brought up Mount Nara, where ancient gods reside, and left to die hopefully blessed by the deities — this sacrifice will free up food for someone else in the village.
Orin (Sumiko Sakamoto) is a 69-year-old grandmother living with one of her sons and three grandchildren and she prepares for her departure for an entire year. Among other activities (not always morally acceptable), she gets a new wife for her oldest son, and then shows the wife where the best place is for catching fish and how to take care of the family. At the top of the mountain, hundreds of skeletons and hungry black crows wait for the next arrivals as the resigned grandmother and one grieving son make the final ascent together, the woman strapped to her son's back.

Robert
Posted on Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 02:27 pm:   

This week's Masters of Horror was decent. It was an adaption of Lovecraft's "Dreams in the Witch House." Based on Gordon's previous Lovecraft films I had low expectations, but it turned out better than I expected. Still not great, but better than the first episode.

MarcL
Posted on Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 02:54 pm:   

No, Lucius, I have not. The library has a few more by Imamura--I'll see if I can find that one. What's the title? The Lady Who Went Up A Mountain and Was Pecked to Death By Crows?

MarcL
Posted on Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 02:56 pm:   

Just got notified the Darger documentary I reserved a couple months ago is finally available. Looking forward to seeing that. Did you know, many of Darger's paintings are for sale if you've got the bucks? I wonder who gets the cash from those transactions.

Which reminds me that someone was recently selling the only known painting done by Lovecraft.

MarcL
Posted on Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 03:01 pm:   

Here's the Imamurae I've got access to:

Warm Water Under A Red Bridge: A frustrated, unemployed architect travels to a remote fishing village in search of a treasure rumored to be hidden in a house near a red bridge. He builds an intense relationship with one of the occupants of the house, a young woman with an "unusual" condition.

The Pornographers: A small time porno filmmaker in Osaka, struggles to cope with the corrupt sexual mores in his family, the world outside, and in himself. He peddles his films to condescending executives and panders a little on the side, believing he provides a socially valuable service.

Ejanai Ka: Set in 1866 on the eve of Japan's Meiji Restoration. The lower classes are manipulated by the samurai class until a revolutionary frenzy is generated by the lower classes dancing in the streets and chanting "Ejanai ka!" (literally "What the hell?" or "Why not?").

Dr. Akagi: Set on a small Japanese island near the end of World War II, this is the story of a doctor's obsession to retain his decency and stamp out a deadly disease.

2009: Lost Memories: What if Japan allied with the U.S. during WWII? What if nuclear bombs were dropped on Berlin instead of Hiroshima and Nagasaki? What if Korea never existed? To J.B.I. agent Masayuki Sakamoto these questions aren't speculation - they're history. [This appears to be an anthology with several directors.]

They all sound worthwhile.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 03:20 pm:   

I had no idea Imamura had anything to do with 2009....He must have been a line director or something. I reviewed it and 2009 is not an anthology -- it's a just-okay movie with some scenes that are good but is too much of a melodrama for my tastes. I reviewed it for F&Sf. warm Water Under a Red Bridge is supposed to be very good.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 03:25 pm:   

The one I mentioned was Ballad of Narayama.

MarcL
Posted on Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 04:41 pm:   

Oops, Imamura is listed in 2009's cast, not as a director.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 04:55 pm:   

Skins is decent, but Gary Farmer's only in a couple of scenes. Native American movies of the Res variety all seem the same, pretty much. Pow Wow Highway still's my favorite.

MarcL
Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 08:09 pm:   

Gary Farmer deserves a vehicle. And I don't mean a car.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 09:41 pm:   

He's getting a little long in the tooth to have a vehicle, but yeah...

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 06:22 am:   

No need to rush out and see THREE EXTREMES. Not all that good. The Fruit Chan segment is not bad, and features the radiant Bai Ling, and the Miike piece is quite poetic and interesting, with a nice twist, but the Chan-Wook Park segment is overlong and rather incoherent. Not first-class stuff. Saw a coming attraction for PULSE which looked much scarier and better.

Adam-Troy
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 06:43 am:   

Upcoming movie that scares me most: RUMOR HAS IT..., starring Jennifer Aston, Kevin Costner, Kathy Bates, and Shirley MacLaine. Reason: it's a sequel, of sorts, to THE GRADUATE.

Gaaaah.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 08:28 am:   

Pulse? A coming attraction? Pulse is at least five years old. Is this a remake you're talking about? The original is good.

Rumor Has It sounds ghastly...for the Costner factor alone,

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 08:37 am:   

Maybe they are re-releasing it. Actually, now that I think of it, the PULSE trailer had a "before there was the RING, before there was THE GRUDGE..." kind of a tag, so maybe they are re-releasing to capitalize on the whole J-horror trend.

What a shame Shirley MacLaine has to do all these bad films. PBS just broadcase THE APARTMENT on Sunday and it reminded me how good she was back in the day. She should have eased into retirement after BEING THERE.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 08:39 am:   

The Stuart Gordon MOH segment was better than the Coscarelli, but not amazing. It had good shock moments and some nice weird visuals. Next week's Tobe Hooper looks more outlandish, if nothing else, so at least we won't be bored.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 10:46 am:   

Oh, ATC, here's the movie that scares me. An animated version of Beowulf with Angelina Jolie as Grendel's mother...

Robert
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 11:56 am:   

The Beowulf script is co-written by Gaiman so I am somewhat interested. But being CG and motion captured (like Polar Express) makes me want to stay away.

But it can't be worse than the Beowulf film with Christopher Lambert. At least I hope it can't be.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 12:23 pm:   

Gaiman's involvement makes it even scarier for me.

StephenB
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 02:54 pm:   

Yep, the Gordon episode was better, forsure. A couple parts that might have been intended to be scary made me laugh. But otherwise it had some tense parts. The whole dream thing, in a way, reminded me of my Old Hag Syndrom/ Sleep Paralysis experience, which was far more terrifying than a movie could ever hope to be...

Lucius
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 03:12 pm:   

What bugs me....Well, I just saw a few minutes. Didn't grab me at all. I'm writing a series of stories based on dreams (mine and OPs) and have been impressed by the fresh and inventive materials that this material embodies. Gordon's thing was the SOS. Witches, blood, sacrifice.....blah blah blah. Never anything new. How come that is, huh? There's new stuff out there.

StephenB
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 03:44 pm:   

Yeah, it's got a bit of a slow start. The end is a little hard to buy, too.

Agreed about dreams. My sleep paralysis experience, including the out of body experience part, will be the basis for a story I'll write, someday. Among others. Who's OP?

StephenB
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 03:59 pm:   

The whole witch, blood sacrifice thing, has been done to death. But I think, to a certain degree, the idea of a night time attack, by an old hag, or succubus, evil spirit, alien, or whatever, is timeless, because it's grounded in a phenomenon based on real experiences that have been going on for a very long time. I'm not sure if that's what Lovecraft was getting at. But it's true, there are so many new things that can be done with it.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 04:30 pm:   

OP -- other people.

I have a copy of Sam's episode -- May watch tonight.

MarcL
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 04:44 pm:   

More Adulterated Phildickery (from http://www.kfccinema.com/)

Nicolas Cage is teaming up with Oscar-nominated actress Julianne Moore to star in a science-fiction adventure film called Next, the entertainment press said Thursday.

Academy Award-winner Cage, 41, will play a man who is able to see future events and influence their outcome, while The Hours star Moore plays a U.S. federal agent who pursues him as she tries to prevent a terrorist attack.

The movie, to be made by Hollywood's Revolution Studios, is an adaptation by screenwriter Gary Goldman of author Philip K. Dick's story The Golden Man, according to Daily Variety.

Cage will also co-produce the film, which will be released in 2007.

Stephen
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 04:48 pm:   

Yeah, I figured that, after I asked.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 04:58 pm:   

I've always found the concept of succubi very appealing. What are the best succubus movies?

As for Gordon, loved the witch-as-voluptuous-neighbor seduction thing, hated the man-faced rat and the burned out Catholic drunk.

What horror needs is less blood and more voluptuous seductresses, IMHO.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 05:01 pm:   

While we're on the subject, here's another thing that bugged the hell of me about the Gordon episode: telling, not showing.

When the old Catholic drunk spills the story of his involvement with the witch, we have to watch two guys stand around yapping while he reveals the horrible truth about his life as a baby-killer.

Was anybody else thinking "this is potentially the most horrifying stuff in the show...why can't we SEE it?" A great shock opportunity squandered. I mean, what's the point if you're going to shy away from the good stuff?

JTS
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 05:05 pm:   

Great, another opportunity for hollywood to mess up and completely misunderstand a pkd story, It's depressing since I always thought pkd stories and novels would translate really well to the screen, oh well

Lucius
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 07:27 pm:   

I saw the Sam/Dante episode of the MOH, episode 8. It's pretty funny, man. As Sam describes it, "a big pink wet dream." After I realized which way it was going, I watched it with my talking Ann Coulter doll. :-)

Nathan Ballingrud
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 08:14 pm:   

I'm glad to hear that one turned out all right. Dale's a friend of mine, and while I confess I would have enjoyed a sliver of glee in teasing him about a heinous adaptation of his story, I'm happy that it turned out well.

I knew that he had a great scriptwriter in Sam Hamm, mind you . . . but I had little faith in a tv studio doing the story justice.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 08:41 pm:   

I haven't read the story, but if it was a big pinko wet dream, then he'll be happy. :-)

MarcL
Posted on Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 10:28 am:   

My company (Valve) will be releasing this movie very shortly as a freebie over our online distribution service. It was made by a couple ex-WETA guys who now work with us. It's set entirely in the interior of a car, and it's pretty great as an over-the-top zombie experience. It's picked up a couple top honors at horror film festivals.

http://www.2chums.com/zombie-movie.html

I'll post when it's available.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 11:11 am:   

Got my copy of the Descent in the mail. May watch tonight...if not, tomorrow.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 11:49 am:   

We want a full report!!!

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 11:54 am:   

Oh yeah

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register