Week 9 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » Week 9 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 24, 2005 - 08:49 pm:   

Thursday, Oct 27
7:45 PM #13 Boston College at #3 Virginia Tech  
Saturday, October 2
12:00 PM #12 Ohio State at Minnesota
12:00 PM #15 Wisconsin at Illinois
3:00 PM Utah State at #5 Alabama  
3:30 PM #4 Georgia at #16 Florida
3:30 PM North Carolina at #6 Miami    
3:30 PM Maryland at #10 Florida State    
3:30 PM Purdue at #11 Penn State
7:00 PM #2 Texas at Oklahoma State     Tickets
7:00 PM #25 Michigan at #21 Northwestern

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 24, 2005 - 10:27 pm:   

I don't see any real upsets here. Florida has a shot at UGA, but that can't be seen as an upset, and Mich-NW could be a minor upset. NC-Miami. maybe.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 06:18 am:   

Look yonder toward Blacksburg, o seeker of upsets...

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 08:51 am:   

Sorry, Dave, Not gonna happen.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 10:19 am:   

That's what they said in 2003, mon ami. Consider this the C's coming-out party.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 10:30 am:   

This light banter is fun and all that, but c'mon...this is a different team

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 11:51 am:   

I understand your skepticism, but banter aside, I have a feeling. Call it a hunch.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 12:02 pm:   

All right. But don't bet that hunch. :-)

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 01:24 pm:   

Just to avoid confusion, starting on Friday, I will be calling myself "The Oracle of Arlington." :-)

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 01:56 pm:   

More likely, The Wreck of the Hesperus.

Forrest
Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 07:00 am:   

yeah, all-in-all it looks to be a pretty dull week in college football.

You're not worried about UNC/Miami, Lucius? :-)

I think Northwestern will beat Michigan. Basanez *is* all that.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 09:02 am:   

Yeah, I thought I mentioned that I was worried about UNC. They beat Virginnia. I'm worried about everybody. Season comes to an end next weekend, against Va Tech, anyway. :-(

And no week that contains the World's Largest Cocktail Party can be considered dull.

I ran away from home with my buddy Gene Anderson, the first one I ever saw. He stole a car (a buick, I think) and we decided to go north. We picked up a couple of friends and headed north for Jax Beach, where we stole beer from a supermarket and broke into parked cars and stole groceries, a few wallets -- slept on the beach, tried to pick up girls and mainly frightened them. The next day we were over near the Gator Bowl, scoping the crowds, breaking into more cars, and this guy came by trying to scalp a ticket to Ga-Fla for forty bucks (this was a long time ago!) and, to my friends' bewilderment, bought it with my ill-gotten gains. They said they were gonna leave me behind, but I didn't care. I went to the game and they got as far as Waycross before they got arrested for petty bullshit.

That was my first Ga-Fla game.

Sniff, sniff.

Memories....:-)

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 07:29 am:   

All right....GO EAGLES!!

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 08:17 am:   

Thought I'd reprint part of this story in relation to the WHAT PLANET ARE WE ON? idea of high school, not just the canes connection. When I was in HS, an offensive line with these three guys on it would have seemed....science fiction. I should mention that Marcus Gilbert is also leaning toward the Canes, and they just signed Jason Fox, another blue-chip O lineman (6'7", 255), so they're addressing their OL problems. Anyway all these guys play for St. Thomas Aquinas in Fort Lauderdale.

Tuesday, Smith had the privilege of watching two of his players --- left tackle Sam Young (an early Canes commitment) and center Dan Wenger --- named to the East team for the US Army All-American Game, which will be played January 7 in San Antonio at the Alamo Dome. Although right tackle Marcus Gilbert wasn't named to play in the Army game he probably should have been.

Smith has seen his three star linemen grow and develop since they became starters as sophomores. It's a rarity at St. Thomas that sophomores see the playing field, particularly on the offensive line.

"With Sam, Dan, and Marcus they came in as tenth graders and were able to play as tenth graders," Smith said. "That has helped having that kind of experience. We very seldom have had sophomores start on the offensive line. it only happened a couple of times. One was Stefan Humphries who went on to play at Michigan and in two Super Bowls. He is now a doctor in Spokane, Washington."

Smith sees his three big guys up close and personal. He knows their strengths on the football field and he sees how they've grown as people off the field.

"It is hard to put your finger on what one does better than the other," Smith said. "Dan and Sam are very intelligent young men and good students and that carries over on the playing field. The three are very good friends, which is also excellent for the camaraderie of the team. They are very solid character. In the hallways is how you find out what kids think of other kids, in how they carry themselves. They are very polite and very respected."

From a physical standpoint, Young, Wenger and Gilbert are imposing but they bring more than physical strength to the field.

"Sam has great athletic ability and for a kid that is 6-8 (295 pounds), he is able to bend and is very flexible," he said. "Danny (6-4, 285) on the other hand is a warrior. He is a very tough, blue collar, inside guy. You better be ready to play against him. Marcus (6-6, 285) is a very good athlete. He has basketball ability and runs very well.

"You see a lot of big lines in high school football, but a lot of them can't move and aren't athletic, all of these three are."

George Smith and his Aquinas Raiders are 7-0 and are looking to make another appearance in the state championship game this year. The loss last year in the big game has spurred them on to the great start and they want to finish it in 2005. If they make their ultimate team goal, the big horses up front will be a big reason why.

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 08:26 am:   

I think I need a new eyeglass prescription. Was that a "Go Eagles" from Lucius...?

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 08:30 am:   

I told you...This is the one week...not that it'll do any good.

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 08:55 am:   

With the Oracle of Arlington and the Prognosticator of Portland on the Eagles' side, we can NOT BE STOPPED!

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 09:08 am:   

Yeah, we probably can be stopped. But what the hell...

L
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 01:31 pm:   

Most of the experts have already penciled in Tex, USC in the Rose, Ga v WVU in the Sugar, Va tech-Bama in the Orange, ND and Penn State in the Fiesta. Somehow I don't think this is gonna work out...

Deborah
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 02:02 pm:   

Not after Pitt beats WVU and WIsconsin beats Penn State and BC beats VT.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 03:08 pm:   

Well, no.... That would change things. But is that just bravura...or is reason working.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 04:51 pm:   

God, those new Hokie unis are Ug-lee! Looks like they fell in something.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 07:57 pm:   

Well, Oracle of Arlington, I guess not, huh. Next week they get to thump Miami.... :-(

Deborah
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 08:34 pm:   

Sorry, Dave.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 09:01 pm:   

Next week you can be sorry for me...if there is pity left in yr heart. :-)

Forrest
Posted on Friday, October 28, 2005 - 05:28 am:   

Bummer, Dave. Condolences. And I'll save my condolences for Lucius until *after* Miami loses, which I think is only half a possibility. I get the feeling that Miami's a lot better than they've let on so far this year.

Forrest
Posted on Friday, October 28, 2005 - 05:30 am:   

In the meantime, I'd be more worried about UNC!

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, October 28, 2005 - 06:20 am:   

Oh well, maybe next year.

On the positive tip, I really dig those new VT unis!

Lucius
Posted on Friday, October 28, 2005 - 08:32 am:   

Those unis are godawful. We need someone with a fashion sense to comment.

Believe me, Forrest, Miami is a threat to lose every weekend, and will never beat VT until they are Cokerless.

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, October 28, 2005 - 10:37 am:   

I much prefer VT's riff on the Miami design with the different colored sleeves (let's not forget, VT wore different colored numbers for years, so there is precedent) to those ugly-as-mortal-sin Star Trek abominations that the Broncos started wearing and every college team in America started copying. Now, those are an abomination.

Hey, are you implying I don't have a fashion sense? :-)

Lucius
Posted on Friday, October 28, 2005 - 10:43 am:   

Absolutely. I didn't think it was an implication.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, October 28, 2005 - 10:46 am:   

is Deborah out there?

Lucius
Posted on Friday, October 28, 2005 - 11:58 am:   

Can the Spread work in the SEC?

I don't think there's any doubt that it can work. Spurrier's offfense was as radical a departure for the SEC at the time and it brought nine conference championships. But he was fortunate to have a QB suited to his offense. My estimation of Urban Meyer has taken a hit because of his misuse of Chris Leak. He will win in the SEC once he gets his people in place, but he's made a great downfield passer tentative and Indecisive by trying to fit a square peg into a round hole, and doubtless cost him millions. It will be interesting to see if he has tinkered with his offense, if he has flexibility. If he hasn't, UGA's athletic D will blow up the Gators. Spurrrier was flexible -- hell, he'd draw up plays during games. I don't think, from what I've seen, that Meyer has this flexibility. Spurrier would not have lost to LSU and it would have been close with Bama.

Deborah
Posted on Friday, October 28, 2005 - 04:12 pm:   

You know, Dave, I thought those VT uniforms were edging toward fugly myself until you mentioned that they seem to be a riff on the Canes uniforms and I got to thinking that if I viewed them as a *mocking* of the Canes, then suddenly they were so much more eye-pleasing.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, October 28, 2005 - 04:16 pm:   

That's nice. Thanks.

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, October 28, 2005 - 04:49 pm:   

They have a certain pop-art flair which is refreshing when considered against the cookie-cutter "space invaders" uniforms of California, West Virginia, Boise State, etc. and the irrefutable, bottom of the barrel, what-were-they-thinking, coach's girlfriend is a failed designer esthetic of, say, Oregon, or the wannabe artsy fillips of BC's slanted numerals.

Personally, I've been looking for a Canes jersey. They are quite stylish. And you can't argue with the classics (USC, UCLA, OSU, Mich, etc.)

Lucius
Posted on Friday, October 28, 2005 - 04:56 pm:   

They look like they stuck their arm down a toilet....

lakewood
Posted on Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 08:03 am:   

Oregon's uniforms-- gads what a sensory atrocity!

I don't like the trend toward the dark uniforms. John Madden says the dark pants ake the players look slow. I think deborah nailed it earlier; the dark unis make them look fugly.

Gimme the 'horn's or Browns basic orange and white any day.

JV
Posted on Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 08:23 am:   

I'm a little concerned about this new Georgia quarterback. It's not like he's an inexperienced freshman. He might do better than expected.

JeffV

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 08:46 am:   

I'm concerned about the Georgia defense, as stated above. Hell, I'm concerned about everything..

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 10:50 am:   

Speaking of things that I'm concerned about, I'm concerned that Larry Coker and Randy Shannon will die of vanilla poisoning. I assume one can die of vanilla poisoning. Certainly it's killing Miami. The saggy fucker is ruining my team. I don't care if they come back. They suck. I can't watch anymore. In fact, I'm not going to watch another Miami game until Coker leaves -- which means I have to find another team. Maybe I'll become a BADger or maybe I'll get surreal and follow the Trout State Surging Spawn. I can't fucking take it. This old fart is destroying 20 years of excellence.

Minne is doing a good job against OSU.

Racist? Notre Dame? Nah! They extended Weiss to 2015 after a two loss beginning. Willingham went 8-0.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 10:58 am:   

Oh, yeah. On the unis -- I like the Browns' brown unis, the orange jerseys look too much like the Chiefs (grimace).

The worst overall look (aside from Oregon) goes to Penn State, who players look like they hardboiled eggs for heads.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 10:59 am:   

like they have hardboiled eggs for heads

Deborah
Posted on Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 12:04 pm:   

Yeah, maybe somebody will send Weiss on a golf outing to Gulfshores.

And take Coker, too.

Miami has come back and they are playing with some energy again, but you're right about Coker. He's like John Cooper without the charm.

Deborah
Posted on Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 12:06 pm:   

Oh, and I don't like the orange Browns jerseys either, but they look positively dazzling next to those hideous orange pants they had last year. Shudder.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 12:11 pm:   

I can't stand it, D. They've got all these great athletes and Uncle Fudd is driving the car. They go into Blacksburg and get down like that, it's over. They can't wait to make halftime adjustments, they have to throw the first punch. The Greg Marks fire looks worse and worse. Coker reminds me of that old alky who managed the red sox a few years back. But John Cooper without the charm gets it.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 12:18 pm:   

Yeah, the orange pants were BAD...not as in BADger either. I'm old school where the browns are concerned. white unis with orange numbers, or brown jerseys.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 12:31 pm:   

Watching Miami fumble and stumble through the last minutes (okay, I lied) makes me sick. Miami in years past would have finished 'em. And Coker just stands there preparing for his "wonderfully calm" press conference. That's how the asshole sportswriters label him -- wonderfully calm. Hey, it's easy to pull off "wonderfully calm" when you're a victim of taxidermy. The guy needs a pulse. Aw fuck. If I were a panther, I'd GRRR. SCREEEEE doesn't seem appropriate.

JV
Posted on Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 12:59 pm:   

Congrats to Forrest and Minz on Wisconsin winning, predictable though it might be.

Man, UF looks pretty darn good right now!

JeffV

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 01:04 pm:   

Meyer put in a power running game and Max protection. He had to do it. Shows he's flexible. He shouldn't get rid of it. 14-0. Go Gators

Deborah
Posted on Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 01:41 pm:   

You boys realize that I'm a Gator Fan today, don't you?

The Tide thanks you for your support.

Go Gators!!

And, yeah, Lucius, I'm afraid you're right about what's likely to happen to the Canes in Hokiesburg. You may want to avert your eyes.

lakewood
Posted on Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 01:42 pm:   

Yeah, the orange on white unis were the ones I meant. i love orange, but some of the shades of orange out there are tragic, in a greek sense.

I like a good, simple, clean uniform that shows grass stains and mud when they dirty. i like the tufts of grass shedding blades from the facemasks. i loved that guy whose head always bled when he put on his helmet.

Grr-rrr football!

It ain't no damn fashion show.

Just ask Romo.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 01:49 pm:   

D, Miami's good enough to win, but they aren't coached well enough. I'm not gonna watch. I'll tape it and watch if a miracle happens.

You still are gonna hafta play 'em with Shockley, probably. It don't change anything. But we appreciate your support. :-)

lakewood
Posted on Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 01:59 pm:   

I have to admit now that ol' 'sconsin is better than i thought they were. they're the biggest surprise this year for me.

I'm looking forward to N'western/Mich tonight. Go Wildcats. Whoda thunk? oh wait, maybe that makes N'western my biggest surprise this season.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 02:29 pm:   

Go Blue!

But otherwise, NW is pretty good.

Meyer has to turn Leak loose or this could be a game.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 03:45 pm:   

Whew. That was close. No glory for the Gators. They looked very vulnerable.

Deborah
Posted on Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 04:04 pm:   

Is Shockley going to be back? I thought he was out. Ah, well, Bama's still got LSU and Auburn to worry about anyway.

And, what was this? Everybody wear your ugliest uniforms day? I mean, Miami looked like they stole those uniforms off a high school team. Florida had the one-orange-arm thing going...ugh.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 04:43 pm:   

Shockley's gonna be back for the next game.

Those Miami uniforms were throw-up....throwbacks to '67, the team that won the glorious Bluebonnet Bowl. :-)

Yeah, that one arm shit sorta works for the Canes, but it did not work for the Gators.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 04:45 pm:   

Hey, if Auburn beats UGA, you get the mighty Gators again. Chomp chomp.....

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 06:16 pm:   

Things I learned this weekend: Florida can't tackle; Coker can't coach; UGA, even with Shockley, ain't that good; Michigan's getting better and Ohio State's not as good as they were; Urban Meyer can coach but needs to grow; Spurrier's gonna get it done at SC...

If Texas continues to lose, with UGA already down, and if Miami should upset VT...that leaves Bama to play USC. Without Prothro, their Reggie Bush, that could be ugly. Lotta ifs, but it could happen....

JV
Posted on Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 06:58 pm:   

Yeah, Florida looked just okay after the first quarter. Couple of plays by Leak stood out--like the one where he threw when he could have run for the first down. And, of course, the fumble near the goal line. But yeah--that second half, nail biter.

Man, I'm sorry but even if Texas wins, they shouldn't be number 1. (Don't hurt me, John.)

JeffV

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 07:09 pm:   

Actually, I would bet that next week, there's a very good chance that Texas will be ranked third...or second by a narrow margin.

I just hope that they can pull it together and beat the Noles.

Deborah
Posted on Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 07:26 pm:   

I been watching SC-TN and I can't believe TN is still ahead. SC is improving way too fast...either that or TN is sinking faster than I thought.

Either way...I'm just *so* happy to have Spurrier back.

The SEC is going to be scary in about two years.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 07:48 pm:   

I'm watching too. 13-12 SC. :-)

"Either way...I'm just *so* happy to have Spurrier back."

I knew you would be. :-)

The SEC's pretty scary, now...

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 07:49 pm:   

Does Tennessee have a player name Aryan Foster?

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 08:13 pm:   

Woo Hoo! That's a quote. :-)

Fla-SC could be interesting.

Deborah
Posted on Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 08:48 pm:   

Did I say two years?

That was quite a finish. Fulmer looked a bit...what? Uneasy. Yes, that's it. Uneasy.

You know, SC was tackling like they meant it...think back to that first game this year...one thing that hurt them was missed or slipped tackles. That's what you call yer sign of good coachin' there, cause that's teaching fundamentals in a hurry.

Oh, yes, FL-SC is going to be a game.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 09:07 pm:   

And Fla tackled like shit.

You know what else is a sign of good coaching? The crispness of the route running. Man, I recognized that from the old Gator teams. Spurrier could pick you apart with those little slants and curls, they were run so precisely, and then the safety would start cheating up, and wham, some skinny black guy was running under a bomb 50 yards downfield...

Fullmer looked very unhappy crossing the field....

JV
Posted on Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 09:15 pm:   

I was laughing my ass off at the end of the South Carolina game. Fulmer's thinking "I'm finally going to hand Spurrier his ass" and Spurrier pulls out a nail-biter.

I dunno. Even though Florida won--it's just not the same without Spurrier there.

JeffV

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 09:28 pm:   

Spurrier wants that Fla game real bad. He might just get it. Fla is very vulnerable. The only thing is, SC doesn't run the ball well, so that might get the Gators by....They better get 'em while they can.

Deborah
Posted on Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 11:19 pm:   

Who was that SC guy that got carted off, by the way?

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 04:04 am:   

I must have missed that. For a while I was switching back between Michigan-NW and South Carolina. I recall switching back and they mentioned something about him getting carted off...

Josh Rountree
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 07:13 am:   

Texas gave me a scare, but they shouldn't be thrown under the bus yet. They had ONE bad half, their only one so far this season. They've been competitive, and in most cases, outright dominating every other half of the season. They came to Ok State after a series of inflating wins and weren't quite in the right frame of mind early on. Take away one FREAK TD by Ok State and they're only down by 9 at the half.

In the second half, the formerly struggling defense pitched a shutout, and the offense exploded. We ended up beating them by 19 points and Vince Young (Heisman, Heisman!!) accounted for over 500 YARDS of offense and 4 TDs.

So as far as how we stack up against the nation, remember that USC had several games where they stuggled in the first half. We've had ONE. Virginia Tech has played a fairly easy schedule, but if they beat Miami, etc., I'll entertain thoughts of them being #2. Right now, I think VT and Tex are the two best teams in the US, with USC a close #3.

Texas is a monster this year, and only an imperfection in the BCS system will keep them out of the Rose Bowl.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 08:54 am:   

"... only an imperfection in the BCS system will keep them out of the Rose Bowl...."

Need I say more.

John, no one's saying that Texas isn't good this year, but we're dealing with a system that rewards visibility. I think there's a very good chance that VT will be in the Rose Bowl vs USC, and here's why. VT has had a series of primetime games on ESPN, including one next week against Miami, and have been very impressive. Their worst performance came at Maryland, who they handled 28-9, a team that the next week gave FSU all the could handle in Tallahassie. They handled the no 13 team in the nation 30-10, and the score doesn't reflect VT's dominance. If they beat Miami and FSU, they're very likely to rise above Texas, because of Texas's strength of schedule, which suffers because they're in the big twelve and because their quality win is over OSU, a team likely to have three losses by season's end. Now if Miami or UCLA pull upsets, Texas is in for sure, but I wouldn't count on that. If Texas doesn't make it, you're gonna have to live with it, just like I did when they picked FSU to play OKLA after Miami beat FSU. Personally I don't think Texas is the best team in the country, but that's got nothing to do with my feeling that there should be a play-off. A one or two-loss team is very likely, in some years, to be the best team, and they should have a chance to prove it on the field. If Texas wins out, and doesn't make the NC, that's a drag for you guys, but VT and USC could say the same, and even if they don't win out, they should be in a play-off. Suppose there's only one undeafeated team -- what a mess that'll be. The BCS doesn't work, and any team that wins the NC under this system is winning a glass trophy and that's it. I'll be happy for you if it's Texas, but if they get left out, well, Oregon, Miami, Auburn...Y'know?

lakewood
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 10:11 am:   

While I understand your care and concern, Lucius, I think Miami is better than you think they are. Not to get your hopes up, just to soothe the nerves.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 10:17 am:   

I think they're pretty good, just they're gonna be out-prepared for and out-coached. I'd be delighted to be wrong, but even if I am, Coker's the wrong guy to be coaching them.

Josh Rountree
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 10:41 am:   

Yep, I'm steeled for the invevitable BCS snafu. Let's just say I rooting HARD for Miami next week!

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 10:48 am:   

Yeah, you Texas guys better root for Miami! :-)

But even if works out the way you want it, the BCS sucks. I know it's become a cliche to say that, but it bears saying nonetheless. So there are only two undefeated teams...That doesn't make the BCS right. They might not be the best teams, and there's an inequity in the strength of the conferences. It's not going to be right til there's a playoff, and there probably is never going to be a playoff.

Deborah
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 10:52 am:   

Oh, yeah, me, too, since Alabama doesn't want to be this year's Auburn, and that's looking more and more likely.

If all these teams win out, it could be USC-VT and Bama-Texas. Fair? Not hardly. I'm sure either Texas or Bama would happily trade schedules with USC.

Oh, and, incidentally, I try not to get upset with the SI.com guys because most of them don't seem to have started watching sports until they went to Journalism school, but one of those idiots had a column this week about the decline of the SEC. All I can say is: WTF? Even Vandy isn't an easy game any more and it ain't because the top of the SEC is down. Grrr.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 11:21 am:   

What do you 'spect? Sportswriter is derived from spirtzwitter, the Polish word for congenital idiot.

Do you think Grrr is appropriate for a Tide booster? Auugagh would seem better. :-)

I'm sure VT would trade schedules with Texas or USC. The big 12 is way down. But you're right--if Bama gets by LSU, Auburn, and UGA, they deserve a spot.

Deborah
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 11:30 am:   

Oh, and one more note on that SC-TN game...I read this morning that the last TN coach who lost to SC at home was fired immediately afterward...but that was Majors in '92, so, alas, Fulmer is probably safe. For now.

But, of course, that's another reason to hate TN, since that firing lead to the disastrous Majors Back-to-the-Future stint at Pitt. Films from those seasons which are used to force Pitt grads to give up the location of the secret rebel base.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 11:41 am:   

I was thinking about that game this morning, How crisp SC played at times. I really believe Spurrier can do it there.

As if Fullmer needed another reason to get fired. His depredations against Bama and his personal appearance should be enough.

Deborah
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 12:04 pm:   

Amen.

Hey, you know what some frequently heard last words of TN grads are?

"Hold my beer and watch this!"

:-)

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 12:10 pm:   

:-)

You realize the Vols are 3-4 going to ND, have games left with VANDY and Ky, loseable games -- they may not be bowl eligible. That would make people picking UT as a top five team one of the worst calls ever.

Deborah
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 12:36 pm:   

Yeah, ain't it great? Didn't somebody pick TN and Ohio State in the Rose Bowl?

Heh.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 12:54 pm:   

Yup, that's worth a heh-heh. I can't remember who, but they were picked to be in the NC by someone...

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 01:59 pm:   

Regarding your post of SI writers, D, do you know anywhere where one can read in depth football analyses? The only place I know is one or another of the gambling newsletters -- they talk about tendencies, strategies, Xes and Os. I'm sick of reading this idiot fodder, but really don't feel like subscribing to a high-price newsletter.

John Picacio
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 03:07 pm:   

Just got back in town. Been out of the loop all weekend long. Saw Josh and Lucius' exchange from earlier today.

Good stuff.

All I care about is Texas wins it's next 4 games, and gets at least a chance to be in the argument for the NC.

4 games is a lot of football though. 3 of those on the road. But if we ever had a shot at the NC, this is gonna be the year.

USC should always be #1 until they lose. Period. No question.

If it's Va Tech vs. USC, for the NC, it'll be a blowout for USC. An annihilation. I've seen Va Tech three times on TV this year and I'm just not impressed at all. Erratic QB (reminds me of Vince Young from earlier last season) and an offense that often sputters (see Maryland game....if Maryland had a Div. 1-level QB, Va Tech would've lost that game easily). No way could that offense keep up with USC. Lucius already stated the scenario for Alabama and USC and I agree.

Love or hate Texas, it would be a barnburner of a game, if they met USC for the NC. Texas has the speed, depth and physical play on defense to compete with USC's offense, and Texas' offense can go toe-to-toe with anyone this year. Vince Young, Ramonce Taylor, Jamaal Charles....those guys are pure....and throw in 5 O-linemen that will play on Sundays. It would be an amazing game. I hope it happens for the obvious reasons, but if nothing else, because I think the other two scenarios would be yawners once USC woke up in the 3rd quarter as per usual.

Deborah
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 03:19 pm:   

Lucius, I read www.collegefootballnews.com fairly often. Their game previews are decent, they have daily news updates and it's free. I also read Yahoo Sports daily.

Beyond that, the local paper for your school of interest is a good choice. I read the online sports section of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette every day and (confessions) the Akron Beakon Journal for Browns news (far superior to the Cleveland Plain Dealer) about every other week.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 03:25 pm:   

Nah, I read collegefootballnews, and that's OK, but...I reckon I'm gonna subscribe to one of the newsletters next year. They're much more in depth. See what you miss by not gambling.... :-)

Deborah
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 03:33 pm:   

Yeah, not losing my car, among other things.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 03:55 pm:   

John, if it were all about athletes I might agree with you, but it's not. I'll take a Beamer-coached team over a Brown-coached team nine times out of ten. Now this might be the tenth time, but I don't know. Va Tech gave USC its toughest game last year, and this year's team is better and generally more experienced. If they get past Miami and FSU, I'd go with them over Texas. Vince Young is a work in progress, too. That wasn't a stellar first half he had throwing the ball against Okla State and Okla State...well, they suck. I guarantee USC'll take the run away from him. I think it's a matter very much in question, not the slam dunk you seem to think. I think Beamer and staff match up better against Carrol and company than do Brown and his boys, They play in a tougher conference. Every team in that conference has talent and speed on D. There are no Baylors. Marcus Vick went 21-26 against a strong BC D. If he gets through Miami, he'll be ready. The best college football team I ever saw, the Testaverde led Canes, with Jerome Brown, Michael Irvin, and a host of other NFL ballers, got their ass handed them by a better-prepared but far inferior bunch from Penn State. And I'm not so sure that Va Tech has athletes inferior to Texas. In fact, I like 'em better on defense. They haven't given up thirty points to anyone, for whatever reason, let alone a team like Okla State. I don't like saying that; I hate the Hokies. But they're more disciplined than Texas, more physical (yes they are), and better coached.

You're in love with your team, John, and that's fine. I hope they don't let you down.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 03:57 pm:   

Deborah, you might you a Mercedes-Benz.... :-)

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 03:59 pm:   

win you a Merceder Benz

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register