Another pro thread Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » Another pro thread « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lucius
Posted on Friday, October 07, 2005 - 11:51 am:   

Will Oakland survive its by-week? Can Green Bay win a game? Are even the most brainwashed among the devout losing faith in Farve? Can San Diego keep it going? Will, atfter the late game on Sunday, Jim Minz attempt to kill himself with an od of Packer brats? Can NE right the ship v the Falcons?
These are questions we must ponder...

Minz
Posted on Friday, October 07, 2005 - 09:48 pm:   

Nah, even at 0-5, the Packers would still be in the hunt for the NFC North crown.

You should check out ESPN for glorious article about the doom of the Packers. Of course, when Carolina got ravaged by injuries last season, I seem to recall everyone looking at it as an aberration.

On the injury front: We've lost our All-pro receiver for the season, same for our third best receiver (OK, I thought Fergie was our third best going into the season, but the guy is directly responsible for three of Brett's INTs by not catching balls that are hitting him right on the hands, and a fourth due to running the wrong route). Pro bowl center, out. Left tackle may be out. Our Pro Bowl TE missed three of four games, and will probably miss this week's game. Our RT missed one game. On the other side of the ball, it's not as bad, and the unit has been playing somewhat better (not saying much given last year's unit). But starting OLB missed first three games and is now out again. Two second-year corners alternating starts at Left Corner due to injuries.

On top of that we're -9 on the turnover ratio. And still, we lost the last three games by a total of 6 points.

If we can actually win against NO and let nagging injuries heal during the bye, we'll see. Granted, we've got a friggin brutal schedule the seven weeks following the bye, but fuckit. Everyone wrote us off last year at 1-4. It ain't over yet.

Oh, and tralalalalala, i ain't listening.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, October 08, 2005 - 06:33 am:   

Now is the winter of our discontent, but surely the sun of Farve will bring glorious summer to something...No, really. I have absolute confidence that Brett will rise again from the ashes of his self-immolation, from those home losses to Cleveland and et al. I see him playing into his fifties, leading the Pack to loss after glorious loss, ever adding to his legend. Playoffs? We're not talking playoffs. We;re talking nine, ten straight Super Bowls. Not as a team, mind you. But Farve oughta make the NFL blooper reel they show on NFL Access at halftime.

1-4, huh? How about 0-11, Minz? It's possible. Or I-10? Truly these are the days of mystery and magic....

I need no article to shore up my faith. In the future, GB will be a post-apocalyptic landscape where ragged children sell themselves to travelers and the half-crazed mutant devotees of Farve will worship a televized ghost in the crumbling stadium that is the last bastion of their religion. I bet you'll be there, Minz.... :-)

minz
Posted on Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 12:04 pm:   

Mmmboy, sure looks vundermuss.
it's only the aints, but the Pack are back, baby. 42-3.

Barth
Posted on Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 12:04 pm:   

Favre reminds of the decrepit old man in the Monty Python sketch who doesn't want to go on the cart full of corpses.

"I feel fiiine...I think I'll go for a walk..."

b
Posted on Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 12:05 pm:   

whoa. that was eerie, minz.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 12:14 pm:   

At 1-4, the Pack are back? You know, Minz, at times like this, I'm at a loss for words. Acronyms like LMYFAO don't seem to cover it. An emotion-fueled win over a 1-3 team....You can't win on emotion alone in the NFI. See em after Atlanta, P-burg, Cinci, and Philadelphia, all teams that, unlike NO, have defenses.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 12:15 pm:   

I meant to say, See me.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 01:12 pm:   

Browns win, Browns win!

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 01:15 pm:   

Thank God for the NFC North against which the Brownies are 2-0... :-)

~b.
Posted on Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 01:36 pm:   

>Thank God for the NFC North against which the Brownies are 2-0...

Like listening to Minz brag about the Pack whupping the Saints. :-)

Josh Rountree
Posted on Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 01:41 pm:   

I'm going to seize the joy while I can.

First quarter -- Cowboys are scoring at will. We're up 14-0 and the Eagle offense has -9 total yards.

Oh please, oh please...

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 02:18 pm:   

Barth...Not exactly like MInz! I mean, I'm a realist at least.

Josh, 17-3 and driving!

Josh Rountree
Posted on Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 02:26 pm:   

24-3 and TO is pouting!

It doesn't get much better than that.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 02:59 pm:   

Well, it gets three points better! 27-3.

Worried Colt's Fan
Posted on Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 04:10 pm:   

Colt's only beat San Francisco 28-3.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 04:25 pm:   

I understand your worry (and your anonymity), Colt's fan. It must be rough.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 04:34 pm:   

I understand your worry (and your anonymity), Colt's fan. It must be rough.

Colt's Fan
Posted on Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 05:30 pm:   

Finally, someone who understands! It is indeed rough being a Colt's fan, the things that a decent fan has to do to insure that the team wins like participation in the the midnight sacrifices. (How else do you think Edgerrin James acquired the nickname of "The Edge?"). In regards to my anonymity, I'm glad you understand that even in this United States of America, religious persecution is still prevelant. Well, I got to go and get the voodoo dolls ready for the next game. (An innovation instituted by Peyton Manning himself which he in turn picked up from his youth spent in New Orleans).

Josh Rountree
Posted on Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 05:53 pm:   

Where did that Dallas defense come from? They were pretty much unbelievable today. I hope that same team shows up next week against Eli.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 06:32 pm:   

Being a Miami (college) fan and a devotee of santeria, I'm well-acquainted with how Edge got his name. And as for Peyton, his father use of the undead to protect his juiceless progeny will eventually draw the attention of even the NFL.

Don't go all Eli on me, Josh. Eli threw a bunch of TDs on the Rams -- the Rams! --- who have NO defense. We'll be ok.

Colt's Fan
Posted on Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 07:08 pm:   

And as for Peyton, his father use of the undead to protect his juiceless progeny will eventually draw the attention of even the NFL.

Yeah, but hopefully not this season.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 07:40 pm:   

Well, I'm not too sure....

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 09:25 am:   

Did everyone see BFARVE being lifted high by his teammates after throwing a TD in a meaningless game against a pathetic team? And Brett, cretin that he is, just beamed and grinned and everything! This is obviously the Lets-Make-Brett-Feel Good-About-Himself season in Green Bay. I find myself hoping they make the playoffs, so--instead of being tucked away on regional TV--they can get slaughtered in prime time. Then again, there may be no one good enough in the NFC to embarrass them as they so richly deserves.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 10:18 am:   

Has anyone noticed the ridiculous penalties they're calling? Yesterday, among others, a Raven tackled the QB, causing a fumble, no blow to the head, nothing, and yet he was penalized for a PF. Basically the same thing jappened to Zack Thomas in the fin's game. Then there was the Seattle-Rams game which had a penalty of 60 percent of the plays. The refs are ruining the product.

Cedric Benson 5 carries, 6 yards.....Wow.

Minz
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 10:28 am:   

I was wondering if it was just me, or just the Pack, but last week I started checking the stat lines, and a few reports today confirm the number of penalties is up. And from what I've seen, it's not just a question of the lack of depth/continuity brought on by free agency & the cap. There are genuinely bad calls and tons of laundry flying. Phantom holding, ridiculously tickytack downfield calls on dbs (in at least several instances, it looked a lot more like offensive interference), and especially breathing on the qb. The Pack's Mon night game against Carolina last week was a litany of laundry on both sides. New Orleans couldn't buy a penaltyfree drive for most of the first half yesterday.

Are the refs in some kind of contract dispute and deliberately trying to disrupt play?

Minz
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 10:32 am:   

As for ragging/demeaning the Pack, whatEVer L & B. All I know is we have the bye week to get Clifton, Tauscher, Ahman, Bubba, Carroll & Thomas healthy. And we're virtually guaranteed to come out of the bye tied for third in the division! (1-3 Bears v 1-3 Vikes. As long as it's not a tie...)

If we can avoid any more serious injuries (hopefully, four season-ending injuries is enough to fulfill our quota) and build mo' for the end of the year, anybody's beatable in this Age of Parity.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 10:48 am:   

Gotta get Davenport ready, too Green has really slumped. He won't be ready. Without a running game, you're left with The Moron to carry the team. Not gonna happen. And we're not demeaning the pact -- the use of demean suggests an object that is being brought low by means of insult. Deriding, I think, would be more apt, because the object of insult is not necessarily unworthy of derision.

It's not just you, Minz. The call in the Detroit game was fucking unbelievable. If fact, there were many in that game, all against the Ravens, that beggared logic. It almost made one feel sorry for them. 21 penalties. Because of penalties, the Seattle game took almost as long to play as Astros-Braves.

Barth
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 11:55 am:   

Nobody's singing praises for Jax here, eh? That fourth quarter, last night, absolutely rocked me. I thought the Bengals were coming back to hand it to Jacksonville for sure. Lord, what a crushing end the Jags put on that game.

Loves me some monster D.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 12:01 pm:   

The Jags were great, no doubt. Fred Taylor...Man, if that guy hadn't had so many injuries, I think he'd be the best back in the league. And Marcus Stroud is a bad man.

Deborah
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 10:09 pm:   

Well, the Stillers looked pretty good, but Minz, I was thinking about your comments above about the flags flying...Stillers had 11 for 104 yards and Chargers had 99 for 100 yards. That seems excessive for two teams that are not usually undisciplined. Anybody else see it?

Deborah
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 10:28 pm:   

Obviously, I meant the Chargers got flagged 9 times for 100 yards...

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 11:14 pm:   

Yup. Steelers looked good, except they may have lost Roethlisberger. That won't work. The Ravens got flagged 21 times on Sunday, including one for a legal hit on the QB. It was ludicrous.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 11:17 pm:   

Some of those holding calls tonight were ticky-tacky. The refs are out of control...and are there any under 50?

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 06:54 am:   

In a way, the ref situation in the NFL is a lot like refs in boxing, old, out of shape guys trying to keep up with, mostly, world class athletes. It just doesn't fly.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 07:45 am:   

I heard the New Orleans Compl-Aints are lodging a grievance against the league for letting the Packers whup their crybaby arses and spoil their home game! Brooksie don' play dat!

You should have known something was rotten in Denmark when they outlawed the "horse collar." The wussification of the league continues apace. Already, the greybeards are cooking up, something, anything, they can put in the rules to keep Mike Vick from missing his eight games a year. "No tackling below the waist against teams whose names start with 'A'," maybe?

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 08:04 am:   

The Terrell Suggs hit against Detroit was a joke.

What you got against the Saints? They're gonna be one of your fav teams come season's end -- you'll be looking back on the Saints game as one of your few victories.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 08:10 am:   

Yeah, them and the Cowboys...:-)

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 08:18 am:   

Don't think so. I see a Roy Williams special in Eli's future.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 08:34 am:   

Let the games begin!

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 09:27 am:   

Yes, indeed. How big a hole you figger we'll need to bury Eli in after Roy gets through with him.

Deborah
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 09:47 am:   

Which pieces?

Deborah
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 09:50 am:   

Oh, and this morning's Pgh Post-Gazette reports that the MRI on Roethlisberger's knee shows that it wasn't a serious injury after all...he could be cleared to play Sunday. And Maddox could be back in practice this week. But just to be safe, the Stillers have added...wait for it... Rod Rutherford to the practice squad.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 09:58 am:   

A Panther! Whoopee!

That's gotta be a load off Cowher....

As to Eli, I figger there won't be many pieces left. Just M&M sized chunks of ex-Manning.

Deborah
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 10:14 am:   

You aren't being sarcastic, are you? About Cowher, I mean.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 10:50 am:   

I'm hoping the Williams who got quick-fried to a crackly crunch by Santana Moss shows up instead.

Minz
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 10:53 am:   

FYI, Lucius, after averaging 4.8 yards/carry a/g NO, Davenport broke his ankle. Out for the season. The guy just can't stay healthy. Already missed 25 of 64 games in his career, and that's as a backup. I luv him, when he's healthy enough to play. But the odds are against that. (Actually, the Pack may get him back for league min. thanks to his injury history.)

noosh
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 11:29 am:   

My atheism is officially ended. Proof of God's existence and team affiliation is now as clear as day. Ben Roethlisberger only has a hyperextended knee and bone bruise. The NFL season and my life may now continue. That is all.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 11:53 am:   

No, D. I was referring to Roethlisberger.

Minz, I knew about Najeh's break, I just assumed they'd have Brett do a laying on of hands.

Dream on, Dave. He's motivated now.

Deborah
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 12:16 pm:   

I was joking...I knew what you meant.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 12:48 pm:   

Yup, I shoulda knowed....

Josh Rountree
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 05:27 pm:   

Roy sacked McNabb and he consistently knocked the shit out of TO. Either the Eagles were having a rough day, or he's back in hitting mode.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 05:47 pm:   

Eli's much more fragile and nowhere near as mobile as McNabb. :-)

Barth
Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 10:26 am:   

The Mike Tice Death Watch (City Pages, Mpls)

"It's surely unfair to blame Tice for whatever sexcapades took place on board the HMS Fleshdance: Tice's job is to lose football games, not to serve as the governess for debauched 24-year-old millionaires."

http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/2005/10/mike_tice_death_3.asp

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 10:44 am:   

All I can say is, When? It's long overdue.

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 02:27 pm:   

I prefer "The S.S. Minn-Ho"...

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, October 16, 2005 - 08:25 am:   

Tedy Bruschi begins practicing this week, with the idea of playing in early Nov against Indy. Are we gonna see the first NFL gametime death? It's possible....

Deborah
Posted on Sunday, October 16, 2005 - 09:24 am:   

Of course, the article I read said that his lawyers and his wife haven't "signed off on it" yet, no matter what the doctors have said. Maybe his wife is smarter than that.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, October 16, 2005 - 09:34 am:   

Maybe...but you know he'll persuade her. Hell, he's already practising.

And may I add....Andale, Cowboys! Go, Browns!

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, October 16, 2005 - 10:58 am:   

That Vikes-Bears game must be a thriller....

Deborah
Posted on Sunday, October 16, 2005 - 01:55 pm:   

Has the North become the Big East of the AFC?

Bills-Jets: Battle of the Former Browns QBs. Is it true the Social Security office is going to make Vinny sit out the third quarter or is he still under the limit?

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, October 16, 2005 - 02:08 pm:   

Yes...the NFC North is...

I think detroit is probably the best, but who knows who'll win. I can't believe Minnesota.

So far Kelly's winning that battle
Pretty great Dallas game

Rick Hauptmann
Posted on Sunday, October 16, 2005 - 02:34 pm:   

Bears back in first!! :-)

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, October 16, 2005 - 02:38 pm:   

Aren't they to first team in the NFC North to take first by winning a game, not by having a bye week? Quite an achievemenr!!!

:-)

Deborah
Posted on Sunday, October 16, 2005 - 02:51 pm:   

I meant the AFC-North is the Big EAst...which makes the NFC North the PAC-10.

:-)

Kelly Holcomb is looking good.

John Picacio
Posted on Sunday, October 16, 2005 - 02:54 pm:   

Hey, hey!!!

Cowboys beat Giants in OT!!!! We're in first place in division. Nice!!!

No Julius Jones and an ugly win, but I'll take it very happily.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, October 16, 2005 - 03:08 pm:   

Yeah, pretty great John, but the road is dark and rife with danger.

D, yeah. Okay. Better analogy. I'm not reading for comprehension today. :-)

Josh Rountree
Posted on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 06:39 am:   

Eli got smacked! That's the icing on the victory cake. First place!!

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 06:53 am:   

Eli got smacked...and the defense looked good. The offense, lots of turnovers and I still worried about Bledsoe under pressure. But hey, better than last year.

When the hell are the Vikes gonna fire Tice...

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 08:22 am:   

Wow, they are really down the crapper. Getting slapped around by the freakin' Bears...

Hey, Eli may have gotten smacked, but he hung in there and hit the big play in the fourth quarter. I can't wait to get the Boys in the swamps of Jersey.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 08:29 am:   

Eli had a horrible day. If the cowboy offense hadn't had a butterfingers day, it woulda been out of reach by late. Eli had 90 yards passing in the middle of the fourth qtr. and has never won an away game. Some superstar!

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 09:08 am:   

Hey, he's no Drew Henson, but we'll stick with him for a bit longer.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 09:26 am:   

I don't know -- I think he's quite a bit like ol' Drew. :-)

Minz
Posted on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 02:31 pm:   

My favorite headline from this weekend:
Can it get any worse in Minnesota?
It's official: The Minnesota Vikings are a total disgrace.
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/4998848

Y'know, if the Packers don't win another game this season, it'll still have been worth it, just for the Vikings.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 03:21 pm:   

"Y'know, if the Packers don't win another game this season, it'll still have been worth it, just for the Vikings."

Say it like ya mean it..... :-)

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 05:01 pm:   

I'm still mad nobody has adopted my use of the "SS Minn-Ho."

Come on, people, that's quality.

Deborah
Posted on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 05:40 pm:   

I've been composing a little song about it to myself all day, Dave...

Andrew Fox
Posted on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 06:14 pm:   

Hey, football fans, anyone want to become an instant millionaire??? I'm starting a new company to produce toilet paper with a picture of Saints owner Tom Benson's face on every sheet. When he moves the team (at midnight, in a top-secret convoy of moving vans, so he can match Art Modell's grace and sense of gratitude) to San Antonio before the beginning of the 2006 season, every citizen of Louisiana is going to want to purchase a gross of my t-p. Our local Wal-Marts and Sam's Clubs will sell more 24-roll bundles of my product than they did them cute little Cajun-in-Your-Pockets.

Benson and the mayor of San Antonio sound like a match made in asshole heaven. I'd liked what I saw of the San Antonio mayor while he was on CNN talking about the welcome his city was rolling out for Louisiana refugees. Now he's loudly smacking his lips over the very real possibility that he can steal away New Orleans' team and highest profile business operation while the city is still flat on its back. What a goniff. If he can steal them, he'll be welcome to them. . . they and their scum-bucket owner will go down as the most reviled franchise in the history of the NFL.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 06:25 pm:   

You're preaching to the choir, Andy. Back when I owned a T-shirt company, I'm sort of ashamed for selling:

Ayatoliet Paper

For Whenever You Have to Take a Good Shi'ite.

Benson still has to go some before he takes most reviled status from Modell.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 06:27 pm:   

Let 's hear some of that song, D.

Andrew Fox
Posted on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 10:06 pm:   

Well, Modell didn't move the Browns to Baltimore right after the Cayuhauga River had caught fire and burned down sixty percent of Central Cleveland. Benson, if he does what it looks like he'll do, will earn himself a somewhat unique pedestal of infamy in the professional sports world, at least in terms of his timing of the shaft he gives his home city.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 10:56 pm:   

Benson ain't done it yet, is all I'm saying. Frankly, I think the NFL won't approve the move for PR reasons.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 05:47 am:   

I have to wonder, Andy, how much of a hold the Saints have on the community. I understand, given the circumstances, the sentiments involved, but considering the years of frustration, the people wearing bags on their heads, the empty seat....Realistically, they might be better off going the Cleveland route, But then realism doesn't really work, I guess, post-Katrina.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 05:59 am:   

That Dallas-Seattle game sets up as pretty important this weekend. More so for the Cowboys, given the Seahags lack of competition in their division. Gonna be a tough one for the secondary, but thankfully Sean Alexander usually coughs up a couple of fumbles in big games.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 06:55 pm:   

Tim Rattay traded to the Bucs, lucky dog. That means Ken Dorsey of the U is a very frail heartbeat away from the starting job. He may be their best QB.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 01:16 pm:   

Sport's Illustrated reports that last season Mike Tice challenged everyone on the team...

It's a pretty thorought article. I recommend it.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 04:58 pm:   

Remember Fassell "pushing his chips to the center of the table" in 2000? The problem with those challenges is that they don't stick.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 05:03 pm:   

Exactly. What works is changing the culture of the program. And firing Tice.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 08:19 am:   

Latest on the 'Aints. Benson has approached the NFL with the idea of selling the team, moving it to SA, and reserving a new expansion franchise, which he would own, for New Orleans. Since the Superdome won't be ready for at least another year, and LSU isn't thrilled about hosting Saints game, this seems a good compromise....

Josh Rountree
Posted on Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 02:35 pm:   

Back from a week without internet!

I can't imagine that Jerry Jones would let the NFL move a team to SA without a fight.

Yep, big game for Dallas, and I think they're going to take it. I'm starting to belive in these guys. Famous last words...

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2005 - 05:42 pm:   

Fuck's wrong with the Boys in the 4th quarter?

Minz, who won the Packers game? :-)

If the Pack lose the next four, steeler, falcons, cinci, eagles, they'll be one and nine, and they'll still have a chance to win the division.

Laird
Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2005 - 06:51 pm:   

The cowboy offensive line looks very shaky.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, October 24, 2005 - 08:14 am:   

How 'bout that Eli? :-)

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 24, 2005 - 08:21 am:   

Yeah, boy! He's really great! Hey, fifty percent completion rate will beat anyone in this day and age, when pro football is becoming the great used-to-be-good sport. I haven't seen one NFL game this year that didn't make me wish I was watching a bad movie, and there isn't one decent in the league. Gimme a break! Eli, my ass...

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 24, 2005 - 09:34 am:   

team...One decent team....

C'mon, Minz. I realize yer plum busy with them trilogies, but everyone knows you spent three hours Sunday panting beside your TV, living and dying with your glorious Captain, so you could at least spare me one dollop of pure denial....:-)

John Picacio
Posted on Monday, October 24, 2005 - 11:11 am:   

Hey, Lucius -- I'm as befuddled as you are re: the Cowboys. The defense is looking fabulous -- that's the good news. Unfortunately, that offense is totally Jekyll & Hyde. Maybe that's the price of Bledsoe. One week it's gonna be pinpoint accuracy to Terry Glenn and the other it's gonna be a crap pass to the sideline that costs the team the ballgame. That pass was inexcusable, especially for a guy as veteran as Bledsoe in that situation. How crushed must that defense be after playing their guts out all game long and holding the #1 NFL offense to 10 points and then have Bledsuck piss the game away with a pass like that, with at least a sure shot at OT on the road, if not victory....the Hawks put pressure on Bledsuck all game though, so I wouldn't be surprised to see more and more teams focus on collapsing on him with reckless abandon and rattling his cage....too many mental mistakes from other players in critical 3rd down situations as well....very disappointing....

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 24, 2005 - 11:25 am:   

Oh, yeah! You pressure him and he folds, but that's true of any QB. And that pass was bullshit. But like Laird, I'm laying it at the feet of the O-line. We should have been ahead by so much that a last second FG wasn't necessary, especially Pattiti or whatever his name is.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, October 24, 2005 - 11:34 am:   

But more importantly, didya see Irvin and Me-Shawn face off on Sportscenter? :-)

FWIW, ESPN News has a special on tonite about Miami Hurricanes in the NFL, if you are near a boob tube.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 24, 2005 - 11:56 am:   

I am, I will :-)

Keyshawns a great possession receiver, but he's no Michael Irvin

Josh Rountree
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 10:11 pm:   

Pettiti has played well enough for a rookie, although he had a shaky game this week. The big issue is the fact that Flozell Adams is gone for the year. Torrin Tucker, the guy replacing him, is a loooooong way from being a pro bowl tackle. Add that to the fact that the center seems to muff at least one handoff to the QB per game, and all of a sudden the O line is pretty dismal.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 10:24 pm:   

That makes three out of five position on the OL that are fucking up -- I'd say that's an OL problem. But that last pass is on Bledsoe. They should be 6-1, not 4-3...

Minz
Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 10:18 am:   

Actually, Sunday afternoon we took advantage of the respite from all the friggin' rain and went strolling through the Hamilton Grounds for Sculpture with Rachel, Sondi & Sondi's folks, who were in town visiting from WI (hence my absence from NSBB). It was a thoroughly lovely afternoon. Cool, sunny, gorgeous surroundings, chirping baby girl in her stroller, taking it all in. Then I got home and checked the scores...

But, as Lucius said:
>>If the Pack lose the next four, steeler, falcons, cinci, eagles, they'll be one and nine, and they'll still have a chance to win the division.

from your lips to god's ears, Lucius. (Though for the sake of accuracy, I'll have to point out we have MN at home on Mon night, 11/21, the week before we go to Philly, so hopefully we'll have our second win before heading to the city of brotherly love, staring 2-9 in the face. Of course, we might get lucky and one of the other teams may have to forfeit, and then we'd be sitting pretty at 3-8.)

Minz
Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 10:21 am:   

For the record:
All-pro running back, gone for the season
Talented backup RB, gone for the season
All-pro WR, gone for the season
4th WR, gone for the season
Pro Bowl TE, gone for 5 of 6 games, and still not 100%
3rd WR, gone for a month
Pro Bowl Center, gone for a month.

We're looking at signing Freddie Mitchell, and I'm actually very happy about that. Oh. Dear.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 10:27 am:   

They worked out Mitchell but didn't sign him.

Requiem for a Farve.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 01:58 pm:   

Do you think Farve will be back? Do you think his supporting cast will be markedly better -- given that Green was not having a good year, anyway.

Rick Hauptmann
Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 04:57 pm:   

The Bears WILL win the NFC Central. Wait till next year, Minz.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 05:21 pm:   

Wait'll next decade, you mean....

Alex
Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 06:39 pm:   

I'm starting to think I might get lucky with those bets about the Lions making the playoffs...but it would be lucky.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 06:52 pm:   

You might....But I like the Bears' defense, and they can run the ball. Might be enough.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 07:48 am:   

Is anybody else starting to get the idea that J Jones A) is brittle and/or B) can't play with pain. Every time I see him listed as doubtful I think, Steven Jackson.

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 08:31 am:   

Los Angeles is in a desert, but its basketball team is the Lakers.

It has no trolleys, but its baseball team is the [trolley] Dodgers.

It has no hereditary monarch, but its hockey team is the Kings.

Now...the Los Angeles Saints???

Is this the capital of sports oxymorons or what?

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 09:02 am:   

is that happening for real?

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 10:10 am:   

the Wash Post says that "three sources familiar with the league's deliberations" confirm that the league is considering a plan to move the team to LA.

Colt's Fan
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 04:37 pm:   

Ah...life is good.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 04:46 pm:   

Now it's good. One the Steelers use Peyton's legs for a wishbone, then it'll be less good.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 04:48 pm:   

Wow, Dave, that's weird. But nonetheless, I think they'll stay.

Colt's Fan
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 05:24 pm:   

"Now...the Los Angeles Saints???"

Angels (los angeles) and saints generally go well together, I thought.

Colt's Fan
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 06:40 pm:   

"Now it's good. One the Steelers use Peyton's legs for a wishbone, then it'll be less good."

I think the Colt's defense is what the Steelers have to worry about; they might just give the Bus an Indy oil change.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 07:22 pm:   

The Colt's defense is a fraud. They haven't played anyone with an offense. Freeney and the 11 dwarves. The Bus, Willie Parker, Big Ben, Heinz Ward, Randle El, Heath Miller, and co will ram it down their throats and they, as usual, will choke. Hell, I'm not sure a decimated New England team's not too much for 'em. The Pittsburgh D shuts down the run and leaves Peyton whining like a whipped dog....

noosh
Posted on Friday, October 28, 2005 - 07:58 am:   

As much as I would enjoy the Steelers crushing the Colts, I'd rather they save it for the playoffs, not like against the Pats last year. More likely outcome (as you'll notice I'm a rabid but cynical Steelers fan) will be that the Steelers get the lead and Cowher gets too conservative, giving Manning too many opportunities to come back. We'll see. Should be good.

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, October 28, 2005 - 08:29 am:   

Vis a vis the Saints, I can not help feeling that the willingness of league sources to leak this story to the press indicates that the decision has already been made. I mean, why would you tell the press you were considering moving the team, then leave them in N.O. to endure the derision and enmity of betrayed fans? By leaking the story, you give Benson the out that "he had no choice" once the news hit the street.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, October 28, 2005 - 09:46 am:   

Noosh, I hear ya, and I'm just wish-fulfilling. Along those lines, i envision the next Colts-Giants game, Eli is running for the sideline, chased by Freeny, and inadvertantly collides with Peyton. The impact is so great that their bodies merge, and a 4-armed thing arises from the sideline, going, "Garsh darn it" in a doubled voice. Because their two pairs of legs are joined facing one another, they can only move by hopping. On seeing this, Archie strokes out in the stands. The two brothers end their days in a mexican freaked show, where they are sexually degraded nightly by a midget horse and its owner.

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, October 28, 2005 - 11:39 am:   

A horse which is swept up after, incidentally, by Jose Cortez...:-)

Lucius
Posted on Friday, October 28, 2005 - 02:01 pm:   

Yup.

Jenni
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 04:42 am:   

October was a terrible month with no chance to play with you guys (though I've been thinking about you all), but your favorite Raider fan is back now. :-)

After the Raiders played so poorly against San Diego, I was sure I could hear Lucius smirking, "The Raiders suck." Or that might have been the echo from my own brain. At least they beat the Bills last week.

There sure is a lot of out-of-place ecstasy over games between unevenly matched teams. Mike Tice was the man, praised by the announcers and christened with Gatorade like they were headed to the SB, after the Vikes' win ... over an injury-demolished Pack. Gimme a break. It didn't bode well for the oust-Tice movement.

And I had to turn off the Seattle/Houston game at the half. The broadcasters were gushing all over the Hawks play against the worst team in the League. And they're on top of an unimpressive division. Come on. We need someone like Lucius telling it like it is.

Tampa Bay is in town today to further demolish SF -- heh, heh -- go Chucky!

Oakland's at Tennessee, so I'll finally get to see my man McNair (as well as my own team since it won't be blacked out here), and will have to root against him because they're playing the Raiders. ARGH! Life just isn't fair.

When I see the Falcons, I'm reminded that Vick is often McNair-like. But Vick falls flat for me (even if he is one of the purtiest players in the League). Although they're both injury-prone. I suspect this may be McNair's last year as a starter.

Yeah, and now that you mention it, there are a lot of chump penalties being called on many teams (I was only paying attention to the ones against the Raiders, which is par for the course with them). I think you may be right, they're wussing down the League. It's good to reduce injuries, but you've still gotta be able to tackle the ball carrier or thrower. Jeez. (Easy for me to say from the safety of my armchair.)

I think Parcells looks like Gary Busey.

Oh, happy, happy Sunday holed up in my cave with my tele and football from 9 to 9 [blissful sigh of contentment]. Mwah!

Josh Rountree
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 07:00 am:   

Weighting in late on this, but I agree that the Julius Jones injury thing is a concern. I think he's played 8 games in 1.5 seasons. Not good...

Marion Barber played well last week -- hope to see more of the same against the TEAM OF THE FUTURE!!! this week.

lakewood
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 07:07 am:   

Jenni wrote: "Mike Tice was the man, praised by the announcers and christened with Gatorade like they were headed to the SB, after the Vikes' win ... over an injury-demolished Pack. Gimme a break."

Trust me on this, Jenni; had the Vikes lost that game, Tice is out on his ass looking for a gig. Several ex-Viking coaches have lost their last games v. the Pack.

That said, it wasn't exactly a blowout. In fact, I think Tice should have been out on his ass looking for a gig anyway. Why not quit on an upnote?

lakewood
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 07:10 am:   

And in the interests of "fair and balanced," there was an inordinate amount of hullabaloo in my part of the world when the Pack lambasted the Aints. It was sad because the desperation was thick in the air.

lakewood
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 07:11 am:   

Bad month for Dawgs too, alas.

Jenni
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 08:01 am:   

"there was an inordinate amount of hullabaloo in my part of the world when the Pack lambasted the Aints."

Yep, another good example of too much credit going to the winning team.

Dawgs and Raiders have the same record :-(

Do you have another team, lakewood, that makes you smile in the meantime? Like I have the Bucs?

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 09:10 am:   

Welcome back, Jenni. That wasn't me saying the Raiders suck, that was a shout heard rising from the entire Bay Area. Have there been any Dump Turner outcries? The guy's a great coordinator, not much as a head coach.

Parcells IS getting Busey-like. Good call.

I think, unless Minnesota gets to the conference championship, Tice's gone, and I don't think he'll even win the division. Detroit or Chicago in the playoffs is a horrid thought. But the Pack is (sorry, Minz) even more pitiful than the Vikes.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 09:14 am:   

Oh yeah, Josh. Did you hear what Parcells said to Jones? You're like a high-price sports car. You look great when you're on the track, but you're always in the shop. This after Jones declared himself out of today's game v the TOF.

Marion Barber did look good.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 09:40 am:   

And one more thing -- Chucky. Is that the quietest 5-1 ever? 6-1 after today?

I still have hope that Vick will develop, but right now I think that little brother Marcus looks better in the pocket.

lakewood
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 10:25 am:   

Jenni wrote: "Do you have another team, lakewood, that makes you smile in the meantime?"

This year I've been living the dream vicariously through the Bengals (formerly the Bungles), although the Steelers stopped them last week. The Steelers are a good back-up back-up. It's purely a devil-you-know situation.

Regarding the Browns, Crennel needs to do a Lovey Smith and commit to beating the Cravens, the way Smith commited to beating the Pack. Even if you fail, fans know your priorities are straight. (Although he may have done so already; I don't follow sports press. I prefer the game to the politics.)

lakewood
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 10:27 am:   

Oh, and a mini-rant: I swear to god if someone doesn't beat the Dolts and wipe that shit-eating grin off horseface's greasy lips, I will do something stupid but harmless!

Josh Rountree
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 10:38 am:   

If Barber keeps playing like he has in the first quarter, Jones will be out of a starting job.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 10:39 am:   

What you said! The head Dolt must die...Speaking of which, the head Dolt's younger brother just threw a delightful int in the end zone. Can't handle pressure. However, the Deadskins are so inept, they can't move the ball.

I like Jacksonville to do the job....

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 10:40 am:   

What's Barber up to. Not getting the game.

Deborah
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 10:58 am:   

Lakewood: I try to do something stupid but harmless every chance I get. It's my perogative after 35 years of being a Browns fan.

The Browns are leading the Texans. I saw Dilfer throw a TD pass that didn't get called back for holding. You can almost feel the electricity in the air.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 11:05 am:   

:-) Yup, we got that right....

Jints are kicking the Redskins back to Palookaville, because Barber's run for 100 plus in the first 18 minutes. Eli, however, is stinking up the joint. Spraying the ball between recievers, to wide-open defenders in the end zone. He's almost worthy of being a Dolt.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 11:25 am:   

I'd like to revise my estimate of Tice's firing to halftime of the Carolina game.

Deborah
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 11:26 am:   

The ToD is holding their own with the 'Boys, but I fear that won't last into the second half.

But, *next* year...look out.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 11:49 am:   

The TOD needs a QB! :-)

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 12:02 pm:   

Do you get the idea that when Eli comes up to the line and does his little pointing thing, he's not pointing up the need for defensive adjustments, he's saying, That guy looks mean?

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 12:23 pm:   

Brett Farve....5 picks so far? Wow. That's the kind of thing that only Brett Farve could do. :-)

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 07:52 pm:   

New Thread Below

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register