New Pro thread Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » New Pro thread « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 03:56 pm:   

y Lucius on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 10:06 am:

Michael was a great teammate, he would run any route asked of him and run it with passion, and he was a winnner. Period. I'm not gonna condem his off-field behavior, because I did some of that shit myself and had anyone given me a ton of money in my twenties, I probably would have been as stupid. I'm certainly not gonna be a hypocrite about it. Moss...I agree, except I loved his end zone show in GB. I think you white boys need to get your head on straight. Irvin and Steve Young's relationship on the ESPN pregame is the most entertaining thing about the show. Warren Sapp? Aw, Dave! Did he beat up the Giants?
   By Lucius on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 10:09 am:

And Minz, you wouldn't hate Irvin if he hadn't killed the Pack year in, year out.
   By Lucius on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 10:50 am:

PS -- Michael Irvin never went "hyuck, hyuck" after throwing an int.
   By Dave G. on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 11:01 am:

Naw, Lucius, I don't hold grudges against people who beat MY teams...

I never minded Sapp until that whole Chad Clifton cheap shot. That's why he makes my list. If I was gonna hate somebody for beating the Giants, it would be Trent Dilfer, but I bear him no ill will. May he prosper in Cleveland.
   By Dave G. on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 11:12 am:

OK, I take that back...let me rephrase. I don't hold grudges against PROFESSIONAL players who beat my teams. Otherwise, I would have to hate Herman Edwards, Randall Cunningham, Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Trent Dilfer, Jake Reed, Brandon Stokely, Mr. Ray Ray, etc. Too much work there.
   By Lucius on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 11:24 am:

What....are you a George Clifton fan?

I'll say to you what Warren said: Put your helmet on! Put your helmet on!
   By Deborah on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 11:30 am:

What about former Raiders' safety, Mike Davis? No love here.
   By Lucius on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 11:40 am:

Who he? Did he do some evil.....
   By Lucius on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 11:44 am:

Was he the guy who intercepted sipe in the end zone? I seem to remember it was an LB.
   By Deborah on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 11:48 am:

Yup. That's the guy.

By Lucius on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 11:54 am:

Yeah, string his sorry ass up along with the arch-villain Rutigliano....
   By Deborah on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 12:01 pm:

And, let me hasten to add, I don't think 25 years is too long to remain bitter about it, do you?
   By Lucius on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 12:08 pm:

Oh no! But I don't blame Davis as much as I do the Browns coach. Cockroft, leading fg kicker in the league, from the 12 yd line...Nah, let try one more pass.
   By Deborah on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 12:23 pm:

Oh, yeah. I still think about getting a bird so I'll have a bird cage to line with Rutigliano's picture.
   By Lucius on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 12:29 pm:

It's not enough.

You have to make Rutogliano's face be the floor of the cage.
   By Josh Rountree on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 12:30 pm:

Jeez, what an explosion of activity. Minz, I like your list with the obvious exceptions...

Irvin was one of the greatest team players in the history of the game. He was the guy on the sideline pumping everyone up, and he was the one doing everything it took (yeah, including pushing off) to win the game. As for off the field issues, he's the first to say he made his mistakes. He's apologied (sincerely) to everyone it affected, and he's basically a model citizen.

Deon might not have been the toughest guy on the field, but he rarely had to be. Early in his career he spent most of his time running back picks, and later in his career, nobody ever threw his direction. I can't count the Cowboy games where I never heard his name called because he totally shut down the side. He had a big mouth and a big attitude, but he backed it up with his effort.

One name I would add to your list is Buddy Ryan. I'm fully willing to admit my hatred stems from a Cowboy bias, but the guy was an utter scumbag. When you encourage your players to "take out" members of the opposite team, you deserve some hate.

Plus, he coached the Eagles. That's just sick.
   By Lucius on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 12:37 pm:

Yup. I'll go along with Ryan.

This just in --

Farve pondering his future. He's actively considering retirement. Just the motivation his team needs. What a jerk.
   By Deborah on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 12:40 pm:

Amen on Ryan, Josh.

Ah, hell, revisiting all this (most excellent) old bitterness is making me feel forgiving toward the Brownies. I better go read the Tempe newspaper before I lose my resolve.
   By Dave G. on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 12:43 pm:

Okay, I do still harbor some angst against Tony "Gusa the Loosa" Siragusa, because he brought the SB trophy into some Sizzler or something in MD and refused to let any Giants fans touch it. What a doofus. Just what we need. One more sloppy Italian on television.

Hmmm, let me think...anyone else? I was willing to cut Herm Edwards some slack for the Miracle in the Meadowlands recovery of Csonk's fumble in 1979 (or was it '78? the trauma was too great), but when he brought the Jets to scrimmage with the Giants and they started fighting and throwing people around, that was strictly punk-ass.

I still don't think much of Run-de Mouth for the way he played the fool before the start of the 2000 NFC championship game, demanding field passes for all his homies, then short-armed every pass and let his team get waxed, and played punk on his team in the post-game interview ("I'll win MY rings, maybe not here..."). But HATE?

I'm not about the grudges...forgive and forget I say... I've even forgiven the refs who worked the Jints-Niners playoff game at 3Com and blew the obvious pass interference that would have given us another kick at the game-winning FG...I hardly even REMEMBER that one!
   By Deborah on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 12:43 pm:

And I just saw where the Browns claimed Derek Anderson off waivers and released Doug Johnson.

Maybe that will motivate the Pack, Lucius...motivate them to give him a wedgie and leave him inside his locker.
   By Lucius on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 12:51 pm:

Derek Anderson's an interesting pick-up.

I think Siragusa's move was just good taste -- he didn't want grubby Giant print all over it. And I don't hate Farve for any other reason than he's a redneck jerk who thinks he's Mississippi Jesus.
   By Deborah on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 01:06 pm:

Yeah, Anderson is. He had a decent pre-season from what the article says. I didn't realize he was that big...they list him at 6'6". Did you see who Baltimore signed?

Kordell Stewart.

Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha...
   By Lucius on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 01:47 pm:

Yeah, that was terrible.

I saw Anderson almost beat LSU n Baton Rouge. He was most impressive. Yeah, he six-six and mobile. His problem is, he has flashes of inaccuracy, but that's a mechanical problem and he can be coached up.
   By Dave G. on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 02:13 pm:

Lucius, with Goosa's bulk wrapped around the Lombardi trophy, I doubt anyone could have gotten close enough to touch it, Giants fans or Ravens fan. I heard he used it as a toothpick and it still has shards of half-chewed scallopine on it.
   By Lucius on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 03:40 pm:

This is true.

minz
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 08:17 am:   

And here I thought Favre was Satan's starting QB...

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 08:22 am:   

Lucius, what's your beef with the Jints, anyway? Eli has only been part of Big Blue for two seasons. Were you a hayta before that?

Lucius
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 09:31 am:   

The presence of poor little Eli only consolidates the natural hatred I feel as a Cowboy fan.

Farve didn't make Satan's squad--he'll be playing for a semi-pro outfit in East Hell, a league where you lose an internal orgain after each loss. Replaceable, of course.

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 10:33 am:   

I was a Cowboys hater for many years, due to the hubris of the "America's Team" tag, but, like we all know, I now follow a policy of forgiveness and acceptance. God loves even Cowboys.

Josh Rountree
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 07:56 am:   

A Cowboys' Eye View of the NFC East:

Giants: Ugly little bugs in need of squashing.
Washington: Vicious toilet-dwelling troglodytes in need of flushing.
Eagles: Filthiest of all Satan's creatures -- and that's BEFORE TO arrived. Demons in need of exorcising.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 08:06 am:   

You forgot the Boyz, man, Noble creatures more than men led by a Trinity of demi-urges who's last incarnation was as the Triplets.....

Josh Rountree
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 04:44 pm:   

Well, that's a given.

Minz
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 05:23 pm:   

And here I thought the 'boys were the largest collection of punkass bitches in the league. Go figger.

I'd give you my take on the NFC North, but this is a thread on Pro football, which has little to do with the North this year... (though it's still early, and there's plenty of time to turn things around, and the Packers always have a great December and blahblahblah)

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 05:39 pm:   

Those punk ass bitches kicked your ass with regularity.

Put a cork in your bubbling fountain of enthusiasm. The Pack may win the north, but the champeen of that division ain't playing but one week extra!

minz
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 06:08 pm:   

My second point was that the North is so sucky from top to bottom that my take on them (Pack included) doesn't belong on a discussion of professional football. Though I think all four teams could be top ten squads in the college game. maybe

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 06:22 pm:   

Yeah, but those pabs kicked your ass with regularity. :-)

Minz
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 06:42 pm:   

blah, blah,blah. Which team's won it all most recently, GB or Dallas? :-)

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 06:48 pm:   

Dallas....of course. I've not mention this delusion that GB won the SB in the nineties, wanting to encourage your wellness, but I think it's time you dealt with it.

with undue regulariy.... :-)

Jenni
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 10:14 am:   

Yippee! Raiders score 7 right off the bat -- I'll have at least a few seconds of pleasure here.

jeff ford
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 10:23 am:   

Giants, ugly little bugs who are 2 and 0.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 10:37 am:   

Giant are 2-1 bugs after today, Jeff.

Go Raiders! You won't that too often from this qtr.

jeff
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 10:43 am:   

Lucius: I realize the chances that the Giants are going to do anything worthwhile this year are slim to none, but I wanted to just get that in while they were undefeated. Usually, I'd have done it after one win, but I forgot. Glory is a meagre and fleeting phenomenon when you're a giant fan.

Jenni
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 10:50 am:   

Hey -- Raiders hang on the entire 1Q. And Sapp should regain some respect in Oakland after INTing. TD and fumble recovery for Moss. Woo hoo!

I have to pull for the Giants today against AFC West team San Diego.

Jenni
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 10:56 am:   

Oops, meant Jordan TD and great Moss reception. (I'm all aflutter that we're actually in the game ... be still my beating heart...)

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 10:56 am:   

Glory is fleeting wherever it falls, you know. But Giant glory...Oh yeah!

Carlina getting blasted by Miami. Whoda thunk. Browns hanging with Indy.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 11:02 am:   

Easy, Jenni :-)

lakewood
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 11:30 am:   

Yeah, the Dawgs aren't letting the Dolts run away with it.

Gotta say, though, the Pack looks just awful out there. They get penalized more than the Raidahs. Or seems like it anyways.

I can't figure out if i should root for the bungles or the beers. They both try so hard. Orton looks like a 6 year old in his hemmet.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 11:42 am:   

Browns fans have an obligation, in my view, to root against the bungles.

Jenni
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 11:50 am:   

AAAAA! Raiders up by 4 at the half! The D seems to be able to adjust ... so far.

Glad to see Chucky ahead in GB.

Now for a 2nd-half come back in Tennessee for my man McNair. :-)

Jenni
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 11:54 am:   

Hmm -- interesting commercial with Giants players plugging Saints apparel (donations attached to sales): "Be a Saint." Did you all get that one, too? Trying to make amends, it would seem, for last week's "away" game at home.

minz
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 12:24 pm:   

I tend to give refs the benefit of the doubt. It's a tough job. But they are just fuckin' the packers. Just fuckin' 'em. Early whistle just cost them a go-ahead defensive TD. Picked up an obvious intentional grounding flag that would've put the Bucs outside of fg range in the first half. GRRRR

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 12:25 pm:   

Raiders and McNair not doing so well.

I didn't see that about the Giants plugging Saints-wear. Mighty white of em.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 12:28 pm:   

You know what, Minz! I believe your unbiased testimony......

minz
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 12:47 pm:   

In the first half, they had thrown the flag on Griese on his third-down tossaway. He had taken his drop and Kampman was on him. Griese got maybe one or two steps and chucked it with Kampman draggin him. The Ump even threw the flag. Then decided to pick it up. And Bucs made a 43 yarder. Penalty would've made it a 60+yarder in the rain, i.e. they would've punted.

On the TD, they initially ruled incomplete and blew the whistle. Upon review, Griese had clearly fumbled, and the ref agreed, but because of the whistle, they called it a sack and TB kept the ball, even though a Packer had scooped it up clean and scored.

I.e. We're being FUCKED!!! imho. :-)
Any non-homers see either of these?

Minz
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 12:50 pm:   

I'm not bitchin' about all the laundry that the refs are throwin--they're tossin' 'em on both teams. It's those two rather key point-scorin' game-changers that are pissin me off.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 12:55 pm:   

Browns lose, but 13-6 -- not bad.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 12:58 pm:   

For Christ's sake, Minz. It's only a 1-point game. Take a breath.

~b.
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 01:25 pm:   

Yum, yum! Lovely bit of football today so far, what? :-)

I just need Jax to kick a damn field goal!

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 01:26 pm:   

Tough luck, Minz. I can almost sympathize. I'm gonna watch the game tomorrow -- a friend's taping it. I'll give you my unbiased opinion...

Jenni
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 02:22 pm:   

Raiders shoulda been able to pull that one off, with McNabb obviously hurting and a hobbled kicker. Though can't say I'm surprised they didn't -- the Raiders are so good at shooting themselves in the foot.

Too bad for McNair. And it sounds from the unbiased commentary that Chucky got Lucky. :-)

So, ~b, you got your wish. A lovely day to you.

Haven't seen any highlights yet, but it looks like the Brownies did well, despite the final score. (Yes, I did notice they have a better record than the Team of the Decades. Shut my mouth.)

We always get stuck with SF on the tube, who I always want to lose, but don't particularly care to watch their games. I'd rather see PIT and NE right now. Although it was kinda interesting to see Bledsoe take one into the end zone himself.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 02:47 pm:   

I got Pats-NE. Pretty good. But for red-zone TO, NE would be ahead,

The Browns have been in every game. Who surpises me is Miami. Guess they got Ronnie Brown going today. Didn't think Saban could turn it around so quick. If the Boyz lose this, that's it for them. Toast.

Minz, you sure those 3 ints didn't have something to do with it? Pack is 4-7 last 11 home games.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 03:00 pm:   

Team of Destinty looks to be regressing to Team of the Future. :-(

barth
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 04:01 pm:   

>sure those 3 ints didn't have something to do with it?

Or the fumble?

Naaah...

Thanks, Jenni. Sorry bout yer Raiders...

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 04:24 pm:   

:-)

Jenni
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 04:47 pm:   

I grumbled too soon about being stuck with the SF game. After 3 disgusting Qs watching Dallas choke and botch SF mistakes, they suddenly got into the end zone, made a (controversial) 2-pt conversion (were Keyshawn's feet in? -- the ref didn't explain his decision, just didn't overturn it), then SF's drive was snuffed by Nguyen's INT. Hooray!

They're staying in town to get ready for Oakland next week. BONG! Can't take 0-4.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 05:15 pm:   

I'm amazed by the Pats. They've got a ton of injuries, they lost Rodney Harrison today, but they managed to pull out a last second (literally) victory over the Stillers on a (natch!) Vinateri fg. Incredible game. Brady is fucking incredible. I can't hate 'em. They're too good.

You can talk all you want about Indy's d, but what's wrong with the Colts' offense?

Jenni
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 05:31 pm:   

After that Eli intro, I'm sorry, I have to root for San Diego, even though they're our division rival. GRRR!!!

Josh Rountree
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 05:51 pm:   

I don't think Keyshawn's second foot landed in bounds on the 2-pt conversion. Fortunately, it didn't factor in the final outcome of the game.

Cowboys win fair and square, although they did their very best to lose it.

Sure wish the Raiders would have pulled it out against the Eagles. Not only did I want Philly to lose, but I don't like Dallas going into Oakland next week with the Raiders worrying about going 0-4. They're liable to tear up the Cowboy secondary. That's all the rage these days...

Tonight...go Bolts!

Jenni
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 05:59 pm:   

I agree, Josh, Keyshawn's foot wasn't in, but it didn't matter to the final outcome.

And tho' I always want SF to lose and Oakland to win, I had extra incentrive for a Dallas win: don't want them going into Oakland on a loss.

Yeah, go Bolts!

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 06:09 pm:   

Ditto on the Bolts....

That Eli intro was from hell. I want to write one.

jeff ford
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 08:58 pm:   

Lucius: Are you following this fucking Giant game? I've got 45 to 32, SD, of course. But who would have thought. It's almost over -- 4th quarter.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 09:08 pm:   

I think SD is the fifth best team in the NFL. I knew they'd crush the Giant. And that's 45-23.....

Barth
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 10:03 pm:   

I listened to the last drive of the SD/NYG game on the radio driving home. Sounded brutal. Tomlinson just freaking stood up on the Giants throats.

Jenni
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 10:29 pm:   

Wow -- SD was awesome. Absolutely awesome. Loved it, even tho' that leaves the Team of the Decades alone at 0-3 in their division (and even with the Team of Destiny and the Pack -- hi there!). It sounds like Favre did well, at least; he was listed among the week's leading passers.

I remember the Raiders getting run on by Alexander one dismal game the way it looks like he ran on Arizona today. Football's a bitch sometimes.

Kinda like Tomlinson tonight against NYG. Sometimes it's not such a bitch.

I think KC will beat Denver Monday night, though strategically Oaktown needs a Denver loss. Yuck either way.

"That Eli intro was from hell. I want to write one."
Would ya? :-)

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 10:30 pm:   

More-or-less. The crowd was a panic, man. Signs reading Eli
Sissy
Pouty
Nancy boy....

It was a freak scene...

LT is sure good....

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 10:43 pm:   

Farve threw three ints and had a fumble -- that's one guy, four turnovers.

ALexander has his moments bot he disappears in big games and tends to fumble at crucial moments...There's no comparison between him and LT, who's gonna be an all-timer.

Monday night? I'm watching LSU-Tennessee...

I just might do that Eli intro...

Jenni
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 11:09 pm:   

Ouch for Favre -- that's about what Rattay has been racking up regularly in turnovers for SF.

Do doubt about LT. He'll be one for the ages.

I thought college wasn't supposed to play the same time as the pros. Is this a taped game? If so, you'd rather watch taped college than live NFL? I know, you just don't care about the AFC West. (sniff, sniff).

I hope you do do that Eli intro. You could peform it at WFC. Minz, Deborah, and I could do back-up. "Eli the whiney got sacked on his hiney: 45-23, plowed down by LT." OK, you see why you have to write it.

Nightie, night.

Jenni
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 11:14 pm:   

PS -- my fantasy squad squeaked by with a 5-point win. (I hear the groaning, but I'm stoked. It's my first one.)

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 04:39 am:   

LSU-TENN was postponed to Monday because of Rita. I prefer the college game to the pros, generally.

Unfortunately, I'm not making WFC....

lakewood
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 05:10 am:   

Lucius: "Browns fans have an obligation, in my view, to root against the bungles."

They've been so sad for so long, though, that my heart has softened for them. In any event, they blasted the beers. The bungles might upset the AFC apple cart this year. I predict they'll make it to the AFC championship game. You heard it here first.

I caught the end of the NE-Pitt game. Wow! I agree with Lucius; it's a wonderful thing to watch the Pats in action. No griping, no whining, they take their lumps and win the goddamn game. Classy!

And to think that frumpy white guy used to coach for the Browns... <sigh>

jeff ford
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 05:24 am:   

Lucius: Oops. Yeah, 23. I was amazed that they scored anything. SD is awesome, though. OK, I guess it's safe to say this season is over.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 05:26 am:   

They've got an easy schedule, for sure, but I don't know about the championship game...

We'll see when they get to Blitzburgh....

the Pats..they're just remarkable. Seeing how they handle adversity, I'm beginning to think, that all things being equal, they'd be competive with any team in history.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 05:32 am:   

Well, Jeff, I wouldn't say that. Getting that extra home game might be enough for the giants to get in the Playoffs, but it's gonna be a near thing....Then there are injuries. McNabb is taking a beating and if he goes down, the division is wide open. But the Giants wouldn't be competitve in the AFC....

Minz
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 06:22 am:   

Two of those picks rest squarely on Ferguson (unlike many of Brett's other picks thus far this season).

And if you're really gonna watch the game on tape, Lucius, the other major gaffe, imho, was Coach Mike Sherman. Rookie Terence Murphy made shoestring, third-down grab. One ref called it a catch, two others overrule (not blaming refs for this--tough call). But replays made it look good. Now, granted, the catch would've still left them short of the first-down, but it would've made Longwell's FG attempt a 33-yarder, rather than 41. Considering the last time he stepped on the field, they'd missed an extra point, not to mention the wet field conditions, it would've been worth a challenge to move the kicking team closer, imho. But Sherman left the red flag in his pocket. And Longwell missed from 41. Bad coaching. Sherman the GM was terrible. Sherman the game manager is not far behind...

Minz
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 06:23 am:   

Of course, we're only one win behind the rest of the division. We could actually go 0-8 and still have an outside shot to run the table and win the division... Yowza.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 07:43 am:   

Hey, don't blame Eli. He was pretty good. It was the Jints D that was soft. They couldn't have stopped anybody last night.

I hear those Charger crazies were lobbing slices of California roll at the Giants' bench and dousing the players with Chardonay. Those silly San Diego savages!!!!

At any rate, right you are. LT was something else.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 08:39 am:   

I've said, Minz, the division is up for crabs. But the winner gets humiliated....unless Minne has righted the ship. And Oh yeah, I'm gonna watch the Packer game. I've got a friend who's taping every Farve loss. I want to savor this farewell tour. I hope it lasts for years.

WHat did I tell ya about SHerman?

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 08:40 am:   

Dave, Eli Shmeeli :-)

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 09:38 am:   

Speaking of the Browns, Minz, they had a horrible holding call bring back a punt return for a TD. I could say it cost them the game, but the fact is, you've got to overcome that shit in the course of a game. That's what I admire about the Pats. No whining. They just overcome it. Crennel is bringing that attitude to the Browns. And he sure enough knows how to stop PManning.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 09:43 am:   

Was that the Northcutt return in the first quarter. I thought Cleveland looked like they will be OK. They were moving the ball, even if they did come out on the short end.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 09:49 am:   

Yup. THey played good. They're gonna play good. They;re not gonna win many, but they've definitely got a future.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 11:09 am:   

Brooks Bolllinger may start for the Ravens. Was he a BADger?

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 11:14 am:   

Brooks Bolllinger may start for the Jets. Was he a BADger?

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 11:16 am:   

He may start for somebody. :-)

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 11:36 am:   

He's on my "All Inappropriately-Posh Names" team.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 11:41 am:   

But was he a BADger? I sure he was a Big 10 guy.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 12:01 pm:   

Yeah, he want to Wisconsin.

Minz
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 12:30 pm:   

I was wearing a Brooks Bollinger jersey on Sat while taking in the BADgers big win. Only Big Ten quarterback to ever win back-to-back Rose Bowls. I'm a little dubious about him as an NFL qb. Just don't think he has the arm. I hope he proves me wrong, but I'm glad the Pack has Aaron Rodgers rather than Brooks.

lakewood
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 01:26 pm:   

Lucius: "And he sure enough knows how to stop PManning."

Yeah, that's two stars all by itself. No TD passes for His Petulance. It'll be sweet if Crennel can bring a little Patriot magic to Browntown.

Wish I could've watched the game.

lakewood
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 01:28 pm:   

Yeah, Minz, I'm not confident in Bollinger either, but i do wish him well. He seemed like such a nice guy. At any rate, he's got it all over Stucco.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 01:39 pm:   

Hey, I'm set for Sundays. The upscale wine bar a block from my house (that nobody goes to on Sun.) just got Sunday Ticket. It's like a smorgasbord!

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 01:52 pm:   

Party on, Dave!

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 02:35 pm:   

I had the Brownies on one screen and the Bucs on the other, until some guy wanted to watch the Bears lose to the Bengals.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 03:04 pm:   

Deborah, are you starting to buy into Crennel? Surely the TOD with Josh McCown is less appealing than the Brownies?

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 03:07 pm:   

Next week, Dave...the place'll be all the rage! :-)

Josh Rountree
Posted on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 01:47 pm:   

The Jets just signed Testeverde.

No, I'm not joking.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 02:03 pm:   

Yeah, I know. He threw for 3500 last year. He's better than Brooks Bollinger.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 09:38 am:   

My friend just deliver the tape, Minz. Trouble is it's the wrong tape. Oakland-Philly. I'll score a tape of GB somehow.

Deborah
Posted on Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 12:41 pm:   

So, I took my son to his drum lesson yesterday and his drum teacher (a native of San Jose, CA) had a Terrible Towel draped over his drumset. I think it was a portent of some kind.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 12:58 pm:   

Hmmm. Bodes ill, I think. Or a foolhardy drum teacher. :-)

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 09:03 am:   

I meant to say this the other day, Minz. I'm glad the Pack has Aaron Rodgers, too.... :-)

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 12:35 pm:   

Ok I've seen the tape of GB-TB. They were bad calls, but in this league, you have to deal with sorry refs, and if this were a good packer team, they would have done...but this isn't a good packer team, it's a shitty packer team. RIP. Sorry, Minz. Better get ready for much worse.

Minz
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 06:31 am:   

Well at least I wasn't being a complete homer bitchin' about the refs. And I'm still holding out hope for the NFC North Crown, irregardless of the impotent throne it represents. Still plenty of time to right the ship. Even a loss to Carolina and an 0-4 start might not preclude the division championship!

Besides, it's not so much how you're playing in Sept, as opposed to Dec & Jan. And that's the story I'm sticking to (at least until December)

Lucius
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 08:25 am:   

"...I wasn't being a complete homer..."

Yeah. :-)

Well, the best the Packers can hope for is 8-8. And that's if they sweep their last six games. Yup, that's right. They'll be two and eight going into the last 6 games. They play some weak teams during those weeks, and one team that may resting it's players....but what are the odds?

Minz
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 09:10 am:   

I'm thinking for 4-6 (Chi, split with MN, Cincy & NO).

Lucius
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 09:25 am:   

un., Sept. 11 @ Detroit Lions 3:15 p.m. L 3-17
Sun., Sept. 18 Cleveland Browns 3:15 p.m. L 24-26
Sun., Sept. 25 Tampa Bay Buccaneers* 12 noon L 16-17
Mon., Oct. 3 @ Carolina Panthers 8 p.m. ABC
Sun., Oct. 9 New Orleans Saints 12 noon FOX
Sun., Oct. 16 Open Date    
Sun., Oct. 23 @ Minnesota Vikings 12 noon FOX
Sun., Oct. 30 @ Cincinnati Bengals 12 noon FOX
Sun., Nov. 6 Pittsburgh Steelers 3:15 p.m. CBS
Sun., Nov. 13 @ Atlanta Falcons 3:15 p.m. FOX
Mon., Nov. 21 Minnesota Vikings* 8 p.m. ABC
Sun., Nov. 27 @ Philadelphia Eagles 3:15 p.m. FOX
Sun., Dec. 4 @ Chicago Bears 12 noon FOX
Sun., Dec. 11 Detroit Lions 7:30 p.m. ESPN
Mon., Dec. 19 @ Baltimore Ravens 8 p.m. ABC
Sun., Dec. 25 Chicago Bears 4 p.m. FOX
Sun., Jan. 1 Seattle Seahawks 3:15 p.m. FOX

Find me 4-6 through 10 games. Hell, the team may be so demoralized after this week's loss, they may not beat NO. Your next six after that are at Minnesota, At Cincy, Pittsburgh (god help you), at Atlanta, Minnesota, at Philly. Doesn't look good, man

minz
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 12:16 pm:   

Wins: NO, MN (we'll split the two), @ Cincy,
Oops, I guess that's three. Oh dear...
Well, we weren't supposed to beat Carolina in Charlotte last year, and we did. Gotta have faith. :-)

Lucius
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 12:28 pm:   

You're countin' Cincy as a win?

Oh, boy, They must not be getting much oxygen on the twenty-third floor.

God bless the poor little pack.... :-)

Jenni
Posted on Sunday, October 02, 2005 - 05:17 pm:   

Weeeee -- Raiders finally did it! :-) :-) :-) :-) I can't take it....

Apologist
Posted on Sunday, October 02, 2005 - 05:46 pm:   

They sure tackle good...

The Cynic
Posted on Sunday, October 02, 2005 - 05:51 pm:   

Did what? Beat a shitty team?

The Realist
Posted on Sunday, October 02, 2005 - 05:54 pm:   

And just barely beat them?

Jenni
Posted on Sunday, October 02, 2005 - 07:02 pm:   

Hey, Josh. Someone is calling your team "shitty."

Must be that playa-hatin' Brownie whose team had a bye, taking pot shots at football's finest while he waits to unleash the real venom on Favre and the Pack Monday Night.

Who did you like this week, playa-hata?

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, October 02, 2005 - 07:33 pm:   

My most salient observations regarding the Az-SF:
Denny Green looks like a giant cherry tomato in Cardinal gear.

I liked it when Joe Thiesman said of some receiver: What concentration! He knew he had to hang onto it when he hit the ground. Or maybe something to do with world piece.

According to Kurt Warner, God has a specific plan for him and Josh McCown. I think it may involve making a sandwich with that gray-haired buzzcut chick.

McCown looks like my paperboy.

Did I mention Denny Green?

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, October 02, 2005 - 07:39 pm:   

I went three for four in my bets. I had Atlanta, San Diego and Texas to cover, and lost with Tampa Bay.

Dallas is my shitty team, too. I get to say that.

Football's finest? Hoo, boy.

And yes, I am waiting with baited breath for the Farve-o-rama on Monday.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, October 02, 2005 - 08:50 pm:   

Before Dave gets all short of breath about Eli throwing 4 TDs against the Rams, let's recall that Tim Rattay of the Niners, whose skills were on full display tonight, passed for three against them.

Boy, the Niners are awful!

Jenni
Posted on Sunday, October 02, 2005 - 09:02 pm:   

Speaking of God's plans -- Le Bron James, when asked what being The Chosen One means to him, said that God put him here for a reason: to take basketball to new heights. (O-K....)

Yep, the Niners are awful! (evil grin) That was delicious watching the Team o' Destiny trounce them.

Thankfully, my Team of the Decades is nothing like them, but some of football's finest ;)

See you at the Favre-o-rama when Brett breaks out! :-)

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, October 02, 2005 - 09:49 pm:   

What is it with God and jocks and His plans for Them?

A Brett break-out? Is he gonna do tap...maybe a ballad or two? He sure can't play QB anymore.

~b.
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 05:15 am:   

I am ordering Mike Tice shot.

That is all.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 05:46 am:   

You'd best hurry up and give that order, or there won't be any reason to kill him. Do you realize that in each of the last two weeks, the team that's been idle in the NFC north has taken over first by virtue of their activity. Perhaps if Minne can wn one game and then forfeit the rest of the season...nah. I predict the champ of the north will win at least five games, but only because the teams have to play each other.

Josh Rountree
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 05:51 am:   

Looks like it's gonna be a long year for the Boys. Even if they're not entirely shitty -- although they probably are -- the rest of the division is on fire. Washington already beat them, the Giants figured out how to score points, and the Eagles are playing at 75% of the level they did last year, which is still enough to beat Dallas.

Sigh...this much despair and it's only week 4.

Minz
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 06:06 am:   

I'm gonna stick with with my bold and brash prediction that an NFC North team will separate itself from the dreck and win the division with a 7-9 record. :-)

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 06:34 am:   

I promise not to get out of breath about Eli. If you check the historical record, you'll see that the Giants (unless St. Loser gets a gift interference penalty in the last minute) always knocks the slop out of the Also-Rams, so it doesn't prove much. But you should note that the SD Chargers (the Jints' only loss) are looking MUCH better than people thought they were before the Giants game. (How about that Pats rout...who saw that one coming?) So maybe the Jints are onto something after all...

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 06:41 am:   

Separate from the dreck at 7-9? Let it be noted, Minz, you have a peculiar notion of separating from the dreck.

No, Josh, not entirely, but pretty shitty. They have some nice players on D. In retrospect, Parcells was the wrong guy for the Boys. He wanted to win one more SB before he toddled off and thus he didn't try to develop a young qb. That pluggin' in a senior citizen shit hardly ever works. You can't win without a competent qb. The idea that you could stems most recently from the Dilfer SB, but Dilfer's work with the Browns proves he's at least competent.

I'm not a believer in the Skins. By all rights, they should be 1-2. The Giant gave up 442 yds passing yesterday and scored 44 against the Rams, who lost to the Niners, who--going by last night--may be the worst team ever. And Philly is walking a ragged edge, a McNabb away from disaster. There is some reason to hope. It all gets down to the fact that, now the wheels appear to have come off the Pats, that parity rules and there are only mediocre teams.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 06:48 am:   

I thought the chargers were the second best team in the conference pre-season and was shocked when they lost their first two. Now they appear to have righted themselves, they may be the best team. Cinci, Pitt, San Diego. Indy...still not a believer. And the Pats will probably win their division--Bellichek may be able to put the pieces together by the play-offs.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 04:59 pm:   

An interesting sidelight on the Jets game. What the hell is happening to Dick Enberg? I always liked the guy. He was kind of a link to the old-school football guys like Kyle Rote and Al DeRogatis and Tom Brookshier. At least that's how I thought of him. But he was like Norm Crosby on Sunday, dropping malaprops like they were poker chips in Vegas:

"The question is, can they produce a moribund running game..."

"You would think that, by now, some of those nerves would have to be assimilated..."

WTF? Did somebody spike the Kool Aid or what?

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 05:29 pm:   

Senile? I don't like him. His signature "Oh my!" would go better with figure skating.

I think he may have been really asking if the Jets could produce a moribund running game. :-)

Deborah
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 05:41 pm:   

Maybe where he comes from that's what they say instead of..you know, like, "Is the Pope Catholic?" kind of thing.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 06:14 pm:   

Yeah, right! :-)

A Farve-o-licious beginning to the game!

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 07:41 pm:   

Nearing haltime, it's downright Farve-a-delic!

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 08:33 pm:   

Do you hear the sound of Satanic laughter, Minz? :-)

Jenni
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 09:08 pm:   

I don't know if Minz can hear it, but I sure can....

Still, Favre's got 4 minutes.

Jenni
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 09:28 pm:   

Uncle!

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 09:28 pm:   

Not no more....
Another example of a coach getting conservative and blowing a big lead.

Jenni
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 09:36 pm:   

No credit for Favre? (He's not dead yet....)

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 09:43 pm:   

He still got his arm, but the reason they weren't gettiing pressure on him, they were dropping off 7 and 8 in coverage, rushing three or four. They needed to keep the pressure on -- if they had, Farve would have cracked.

"He's not dead...."

But his team is.

Jenni
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 09:58 pm:   

I think you're enjoying this, Lucius. :-)

Next week's night games should both be good: Bengals at Jaguars, Pittsburgh at San Diego, especially the latter. Yeah, San Diego's looking awesome.

Well, 7-9 might work in the NFC north, but that won't work in the AFC West -- look at the competition. For the same reason, and even if the others did fall apart, we don't have much hope even for a wild card spot, there are too many good teams in the conference. Talk about long seasons and it's only week 4 (I sympathize, Josh). Still, you just never know, the Raiders might come back after the bye with it all together and start kickin' butt. They've always been a fourth-quarter team. (Hope springs eternal, etc.)

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 10:32 pm:   

It's still the Pats, Colts, Chargers, and the AFC CENTRAL is up for grabs, but probably the stillers.

I love it when Downs Syndrome QB loses His ego's so out there, it's a joy to watch his mood swings...

They'll probably beat NO, but after that it's curtains....

he-he-he-he-Ha-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 10:36 pm:   

I think 6-10 might win the North

Colts Fan
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 03:14 pm:   

Defense is good, especially now that we have a little of it.

He he he he he he.

The patriots are going down this time. I can feel it in my bones.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 03:30 pm:   

Colts Fan? That like saying Son or Daughter of Satan, second only to the Arch-Fiend Modell.

Welcome...

jeff
Posted on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 08:09 pm:   

Giants -- 3 and 1

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 08:41 pm:   

And this means? They beat the rams last week. San Francisco beat the rams.

Deborah
Posted on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 09:39 pm:   

Driving home today I saw a green Suburban with a vanity license plate (Oregon) that said "THE PAC." The vehicle also had a Green Bay Packers license plate frame.

I'm certain that this was not a portent.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 10:25 pm:   

In what direction was it driving? We can't gauge it's portentousness without knowing that.

This is the week the Packers might win versus NO, though it's no gimmee.

After that....I'm afraid it's curtains.

Deborah
Posted on Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 06:55 am:   

South on I-5.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 08:05 am:   

Going south...where the Packers hopes are going...

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 11:04 am:   

The Jints being 3-1 means that they are better than they would be if they were 1-3. At least they are winning the easy games they are supposed to win. That's a start.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 11:19 am:   

Translation: at least we don't suck yet. :-)

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, October 07, 2005 - 06:18 am:   

Hey, I point to the 2000 season as proof for the proposition: Sometimes not sucking can take you a long way, esp. in the NFC.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, October 07, 2005 - 08:13 am:   

Well, you may be right. Do they play Pittsburgh? I'd like to see them play Pittsburgh. There is no Manning like a Manning in pain.

Josh Rountree
Posted on Friday, October 07, 2005 - 09:53 am:   

Maybe the Cowboys will provide that sort of entertainment for you. Roy Williams on a Safety blitz...hmmm.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, October 07, 2005 - 10:02 am:   

Equal justice, man. Bring on them broken and dying Mannings.

minz
Posted on Friday, October 07, 2005 - 09:29 pm:   

tralalalalalala

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register