Week Four Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » Week Four « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 12:43 pm:   

Week four begins entertainingly with Boise State v Bowling Green on Wed, followed by Utah-Air Farce. Then the Big Stufff. Canes-Colorado, BADgers-Mich, Pitt-Youngstown State, plus a lot else. Bowling Green v Boise should be a hoot. Omar will rule.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 02:39 pm:   

Also Tenn-LSU.....

Minz
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 07:33 am:   

LET'S GO BADGERS!!!!

Oh, and let's not forget GA Tech @ VA Tech. And we can hope the mighty Ducks of Oregon can defend the homefield against USC (since there just aren't too many speedbumps in the Lac Ten)

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 08:40 am:   

Fat chance! Oregon was life and death with Fresmo State....course maybe they were looking ahead.

Yeah, VA TECH -- GA TECH should be great.

Minz
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 09:45 am:   

We can hope doesn't mean I think there's a lot of hope. And speaking of hopeless, with apologies to our resident Panther:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/mark_beech/09/20/inside.cfb/index. html

Pretty much nails it. At least he's ripping Callahan as well as Wannstadt (which is how the name should be spelled...)

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 10:37 am:   

I can't access it, but I suppose it trashes Wanny. Does it mention good ex NFL coaches like B Davis etc.

Deborah
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 11:36 am:   

It's about what you'd expect...that the Pitt-Nebraska game set football back several millenia. FWIW, here's his punch line:

Of the two men, I suppose Wannstedt has a better chance of turning things around this year. He has great talent at quarterback and receiver, whether he's comfortable with it or not. I'll be curious to see how things go in a few years, when he plugs his own recruits into his own system. I could always be wrong, but I expect that Pitt will muddle through those seasons, like Wannstedt's teams always do.

As for Callahan, I don't know if he has much more time. Against Pitt, the Cornhuskers were called for six procedure penalties, two for setting up with only six men on the line of scrimmage. Nebraska looks lost out there, which is not a vibe I get when I watch Notre Dame or Florida. I know these Huskers were recruited to run the ball, and Callahan might have more success if he tried to do more of that, but something tells me his problems go deeper.

What's funny is, he doesn't mention that the AD who hired Callahan at Nebraska is none other than Steve Pederson, the former Pitt AD who hired Walt Harris. Sometimes NCAA football is like an Arkansas family reunion, innit? "Get Cousin Grandpa a glass of tea, will you?"

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 11:48 am:   

Yup.

Sportswriters love to pile on. I think he's right, but still....

What's amazing to me is that there's no mention of Coker in any of these articles. The Canes drew five procedural calls on ONE DRIVE.

Deborah
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 12:10 pm:   

Well, this guy started by saying that if Miami-FSU set offensive football back decades, then Pitt-Nebraska invoked time travel or something like that. But, you're right, he doesn't talk about Coker.

Maybe nobody but you is upset about him...

:-)

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 12:57 pm:   

oh, no! I was the one of the first to be upset; OSU shouldn't have been in the game in the fourth qtr, but its a big bandwagon.

Question is, are you upset about Wanny, orare you the patient, long-suffering sort?

Hmmm....No need to answer that. :-)

Deborah
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 01:01 pm:   

Well, I did abandon the Browns after only 35 years...

I meant to say something about GaTech-VaTech...GT's QB is still going to be out (recovering from viral meningitis) so that one may not be as close as it might have been. But, the Ds are good enough that it'll still be worth watching. Maybe even more exciting than Pitt-YSU.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 01:14 pm:   

You haven't exactly abandoned them. To semi-shun is not to abandon. And Jonson, the GA TECH receiver, is a great one.

minz
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 01:48 pm:   

>>Well, I did abandon the Browns after only 35 years...

And look what happened. Big road victory at historic Lambeau Field!!!

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 02:21 pm:   

Over incrediblle Packer team...er, well, what Minz said. :-)

Deborah
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 04:15 pm:   

Well, see, and that's why I'm giving Wannstedt time...I just hope it doesn't take 35 years.

Forrest
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 04:21 pm:   

Just read this on another board and had to share:

"And on the seventh day God vomited, and then there was Ohio State"

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 04:30 pm:   

very nice, but that was an eighth day event, I believe. On the seventh day He pigged out.

D, don't be giving Wanny time. I thought he'd be good, but he's not the guy. Join the group howling for his scalp....

Deborah
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 05:03 pm:   

Forrest, Forrest, Forrest.

Lucius, I don't think anybody can tell that after three games (even three embarrassing games). And that's the problem with the way things are run nowadays...

I looked up the first year records at various institutions of some coaches who (even if we don't like them) arguably have had pretty good careers...

Bear Bryant
Texas A&M 1-9
Bama 5-4

Bobby Bowden
FSU 5-6

Joe Paterno
Penn St 5-5

Shug Jordan
Auburn 5-5 (second year 2-8)

Johnny Majors
Pitt 6-5 (four years later Pitt was 12-0 under Majors)
Tenn 4-7

I'm not saying Wannstedt will be in the HoF, but I'm not ready to write him off yet.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 05:28 pm:   

Deborah,

you know I hate to say this, but the way things are going you may be looking up at all of those guys. The thing is, Wannstadt has attempted to impose his style of play on a team ill-suited for it. That's not a sign of good coaching. Au contraire. He's taken a decent team with a good QB who got some mention as a dark horse Heisman candidate, and screwed it up. I'd bet with most of those others, there was some improvement. But it's your team, so if you're content... Me, I want Coker out now, so we can get back to competing for NCs.

Deborah
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 07:09 pm:   

It wasn't that good a team. Remember, at the beginning of 2004 season I said Pitt would be lucky to finish over .500 and I was right. It was a lot of luck. Pitt lost to UConn. They almost lost to Furman. They beat ND by less than 7 points (and ND went 6-6). They beat a BC team whose season was characterized by choking when they needed to win (sorry, Dave, but, Syracuse, remember?). Pitt "won" the Big East by virtue of a silly tie-breaker between them and two other mediocre teams. And then, they got their asses handed to them by a WAC team.

You can't say Wannstedt is in anything like the situation Coker is in. Coker is letting an NC-calibre team slowly erode. Wannstedt started with a team that by all rights should've gone 6-5 last year at best.

All this by way of saying, I'm not ready to break out the tar and feathers yet. Miami fans, on the other hand, *should* be screaming bloody murder. You're right. For the first time since I've been keeping an eye on Miami (since back when they joined the Big East) they look confused and undisciplined. That's on Coker.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 07:22 pm:   

Well, they did win the conference last year, but okay. Now that you mention it, I recall furballs during UCONN and Furman. But if he loses this weekend....right?

Yeah, that what I've been saying about Miami, and it started during the NC year. The BC game, for instance. Every year a bit worse. Gotta get him.

Deborah
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 07:41 pm:   

You know how hard it is for me to admit that Pitt isn't a good team...but, if they lose this weekend, I'm still not going to think the sky is falling. Tyler Palko is the real thing. Greg Lee can't get open. Joe DelSardo is a gutsy walk-on who is 5'8" tall and not very fast. *I* could cover him. They have one other receiver, a freshman who isn't there yet but will be some day. The freshman RB who looked so promising (Jennings) injured his shoulder.

The offensive line has allowed Palko to be sacked a total of 12 times in three games. "Ouch" doesn't even begin to cover it.

Anyway. I'm not content. I'm not happy with what I've seen, but I don't believe that it is entirely Wannstedt's fault.

I'm not really trying to change your mind, I'm just...lamenting. It's good to get it out so it doesn't back up on me and cause me to run amouk in Fred Meyer. :-)

Now where did I put those (blue and gold) aromatherapy candles?

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 08:43 pm:   

Nah, Ive just seen Wannstadt fail at every job he's had since he left Jimmy Johnson and I'm getting that feeling here. I hope I'm not right. I don't want you to get hooked on Aromatherapy. :-)

Bear's keeping her poms crossed. She doesn't like the way Palko's getting hit--it's giving him happy feet. But she's hanging in!

Deborah
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 12:10 pm:   

From this morning's Post-Gazette:

Pitt kicker Josh Cummings will have surgery on his right knee tomorrow and will miss at least two games.

Great.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 12:24 pm:   

They should make the holder have surgery too...as a punishment.....

Deborah
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 12:30 pm:   

To say nothing of the long-snapper...

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 12:33 pm:   

Yup....

Hell, the whole offensive line. :-)

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 12:44 pm:   

Vivisection as motivational tool...hmmmm...

Josh Rountree
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 01:37 pm:   

I'm still amused that Oklahoma's starting day quarterback has now been moved to WR.

I don't even need to think up a joke for that one.

Deborah
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 01:49 pm:   

He's not going to be throwing to his self, is he, cause that'll make him go blind.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 01:52 pm:   

You;re gettng your good stuff back deborah. Must be starting to shake off the losses.

Deborah
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 02:16 pm:   

Yeah, what else can I do?

I'm gettin' real psyched for that showdown with the mighty...er...whatever they are...from Youngstown State. I'm thinking Pitt could end up with as many as three or four first downs before the game's over. They have that kind of explosive potential on offense.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 03:37 pm:   

"Yeah, what else can I do?"

Mark yr face in ashes and turn yr eyes from the sun?

I belleve that's the Youngstown State Fighting Pieroges.

The Panthers will be merciless.

Is that a TV game?

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 04:38 pm:   

Tenn-LSU postponed to Monday, 4:30 on ESPN2

Deborah
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 04:53 pm:   

YSU-Pitt isn't going to be televised. In fact, from what I hear, they've erected an elaborate curtain system around the field so that the crowd can enjoy some keilbasi and a brewski without actually having to watch the game.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 05:09 pm:   

A tinge of bitterness was seeping into Deborah's commentary. She carried a blue-and-gold handkerchief with an embroidered P and she plucked fretfully at the stitches. Occasionally her head twisted sharply to one side, as if she were preparing to snap at some impalpable winged thing, and had her features not been too delicate to support such an expression, one might have said she was glowering.

Deborah
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 06:09 pm:   

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 06:23 pm:   

Caught the essence, did I? :-)

Lucius
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 06:12 am:   

QB Reggie Ball has been declared Probable for the Va Tech game....

Go Engineers!

Lucius
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 12:54 pm:   

Tomorrow I believe I'll start with Canes-Colorado, keep an eye on Purdue-Minne and have the occasional peek at OSU-Iowa. Then at one, the clicker gets a workout between Fla-KY, VA TECH-GA TECH, Mich-BADgers, and BC-CLemson. How's about you....

Deborah
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 01:07 pm:   

I'll start with Bama-Ark while keeping an eye on Miami-Col and OSU-Iowa. After that, I'll be on Mich-Badgers with glances at VT-GT and FL-KY.

Did you forget the thrilling nightcap: The Battle of the San States? San Jose State vs. San Diego State...

Lucius
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 01:17 pm:   

Yes, I did.

You know. BADgers-Mich doesn't start til 3?

Lucius
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 01:19 pm:   

Don't worry about Bama, Deborah. They won't suffer their first loss til next week.... :-)

Deborah
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 01:31 pm:   

Heh. We'll see.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 01:36 pm:   

Actually I think that's a game Florida can lose. Leak is real suited to the Meyer option offense and the back-up Portis is a freshman and not that accurate a passer.

Better get 'em while you can.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 05:53 pm:   

Boy, I'll tell ya, Forrest. Locked up 7-7 with Army, Iowa State looks incredibly ordinary and no match for Texas whatsover. I'm beginning to believe there aren't many good teams up there.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 06:40 pm:   

At the half, Army 14, ISU 7

Army hasn't beaten a ranked team in 33 years.

Forrest
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 08:18 pm:   

Iowa State ain't looking pretty, but they're about to close out the win. Maybe you're right, maybe the Longhorns take it all. Still, I think if the ball can fall ISU's way a time or two, they can pull off the upset.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 08:51 pm:   

I don't beleive it. They stunk up the joint against a team that's won, what, one or two games the past couple of season. Texas may choke, but not against Iowa State, in my view.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 09:03 am:   

They're starting to ask Matt Leinerd his opinion of other teams, of presidential politics, of everything, as if hanging out with Nick Le Shay and Jessica Simpson made him a pundit. I officially hate him. I can hardly wait for him to be exposed in the NFL.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 09:42 am:   

Purdue had the no 1 rushing offense in the nation -- they gave up 100 yards to Moroney in the first qtr.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 10:53 am:   

So much for Iowa....

Miami doing ok, but they're gonna still get whomped a few times this year.

Minnesota should be killing Purdue, but are only up 3.

lakewood
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 11:22 am:   

Michigan State is apparently playing a high school team which showed up in Illinois uniforms. Yikes!

Deborah
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 11:23 am:   

Bama struggled a little in the first quarter...Arkansas' punter put them at their own 1-yd line on two consecutive drives. But, they're up any way.

OSU may run off with that one...

Pitt's up 9-0 on YSU in the first. David Abdul missed a PAT and then made a 22-yd FG. In the first 5 minutes. :-)

Deborah
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 11:25 am:   

lakewood...are you a Spartan fan, too? Man, Browns and MSU? You may beat all of out for the Long-Suffering Fan Award...

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 11:38 am:   

You've obviously never heard of the Ron Zook factor, Lakewood.

Ark is putting up a fight...

Miami's receivers have dropped a lot of passses, including 2 TDs

Pitt...It must be the shirt. :-)

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 12:58 pm:   

So much for Purdue....
As far as I can see, not a thing lies bewteen OSU and the Big Ten Title. You can't beat OSU with a one-dimensional attack and that lets out Minne...though Moroney is a top five pick....

Deborah
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 01:00 pm:   

Must be.

Bama looked pretty good at the end there. 4-0 for the first time since '96. Shula may make a coach yet. And I gotta say, he looks a whole lot better on the sideline than the last few guys (from a purely female POV). :-)

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 01:07 pm:   

Was the game in Brimingham or Hog Flats?

Shula liable to start looking uglier in the middle of Fla, Tenn, LSU...

Deborah
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 01:45 pm:   

Tuscaloosa. At storied Bryant-Denny stadium.

No way Shula could look worse'n Fullmer, no matter what the score is.

Pitt's up 41-0 in the third. Whew.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 02:14 pm:   

Yup.

Fla manhandling KY 49-7 in the second quarter... I can't watch it's so bad. 398 passing yds thusfar.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 03:38 pm:   

"Brett Bielemia's gotta feel really good about his defense..."

?.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 03:45 pm:   

So far they're making Chad Penne look like Mike Vick...

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 04:31 pm:   

If Stocco's going to get those 3 or 4000 yards, I tell ya, Forrest, he better get going. :-)

Hopefully this is his last year.

Josh Rountree
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 04:42 pm:   

Oregon 10, USC 0 - First Quarter

I know, it's a longshot, but it's fun to dream...

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 04:46 pm:   

I'm not gonna jinx it by watching or talking about it.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 04:48 pm:   

Does Ohio State play MSU?

Minz
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 05:06 pm:   

Let's go BULLS!!! (How in the heck does a team in South Florida get named Bulls, anyhow? It's not like they have big cattle drives going through FL)

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 05:16 pm:   

They do, actually. The world's second largest cattle ranch, specializing in bramha (sp?) bulls is in south florida.....

Ditto on the go bulls.

Deborah
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 05:21 pm:   

Yeah, go Bulls is right...and I won't jinx that other one either.

Deborah
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 05:22 pm:   

Oh, and L., those aren't Bramhas, that's just Auburn on spring break.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 05:35 pm:   

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 06:07 pm:   

Ah, Stocco! What a passer! These teams both suck!

lakewood
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 06:15 pm:   

"Does Ohio State play MSU?"

Yup, in three weeks.

No, I'm not an MSU fan per se Deborah, but I will be in three weeks!

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 06:35 pm:   

Lloyd Carrs streak continues. What a joke! Well, congrats minz, forrest, but don't get too excited. :-)

Minz
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 06:40 pm:   

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

I'm sorry, what was that Lucius?

Deborah
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 06:43 pm:   

WTG, BADgers!!!

Get as excited as you need to.

Minz
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 06:45 pm:   

And OSU also finishes the season at Michigan.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 06:51 pm:   

They suck, man. Today they sucked a little less than Michigan. And your back, Calhoun? He's no Moroney!

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 06:58 pm:   

and, due to your annoying in youe face behavior minz, I take back my congratulations.... :-)

Enjoy yr Sunday......heh heh heh

Forrest
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 07:04 pm:   

Man, that was close. Serious stress, but we pulled it off. I could hear people screaming down the street . . . and I'm sure they could hear me and my kids, as well! :-)

Yeah, the Badgers suck . . . suck to the tune of 4-0 . . . suck to the tune of undefeated . . .

BOOOYAAAH!!!!!!

We might as well enjoy it before we have to face the gnawing Gophers. :-(

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 07:16 pm:   

I don't think the Gophers are all that--I don't think anyone in the big ten is all that, with the possible exception of MSU and OSU.

Remember, Forrest, Joe Pa is also undefeated.

This was a battle of inept coach who did their best to out-vanilla one another. Eventually Carr won.

Forrest
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 07:28 pm:   

I'd be worried about South Florida, Lucius. :-)

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 07:34 pm:   

For who? Miami? Oh, I'm keeping an eye out, They're a comin' program.

Forrest
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 07:47 pm:   

Are they pulling some good recruits now? I haven't been watching them at all, but they seem to be tearing things up out east. They slipped under my radar, for sure.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 08:10 pm:   

Oh yeah! You can build a program fast with the leftovers ftom the recruiing wars in South Florida. They gave Penn State all they could handle in the opener, and that was a big deal, playing in Happy Valley, and playing well. That gave them the confidence, I'm sure, to beat Louisville.

Josh Rountree
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 05:39 am:   

Congrats Badgers and Panthers and Canes.

Lot of joy on this board today...

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 07:18 am:   

I don't know about joy -- I'm waiting for the ax to fall. All I ever feel when we win is relief.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 07:42 am:   

Be: BADgers-Gophers. They're essentially the same teams. Shaky defense (Michigan drove the length of the field three times in the first half without their rb), good running back, and inept, erratic QB. I'd say the QB's are basically a wash. Having watched both Cupito and Stocco yesterday, i can see how they're both bordierline liabilities. Moroney's better than Clayton -- a lot better. The BADgers may have a bettter D, but I can't tell from yesterday -- the Gophers were playing against Joe Tiller, the BADgers against Lloyd Carr. Of the game's in Minne, I'd make the Gophers a slight favorite. If in Wisc, then I'd say the BADgers are 6-5 pick-em.

Vanderbuilt is 4-0.

Dave G.
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 08:29 am:   

After all the one-sided routs, it's a shame BC and Miami aren't playing this year. They are very well matched. Both 3-1, both lost tough, winnable games to FSU, both beat Clemson in OT in Death Valley. At the risk of drawing derision, I think Miami-BC would have been a decent game this year.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 09:15 am:   

Not if Miami had a different coach. The difference is, Miami has a developing star at QB, and by time they met, usually in November, I think he'd be too much for BC.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 07:44 am:   

Quite possibly.

Forrest
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 10:53 am:   

With the BADgers DL nursing so many injuries, and the fact that the game will be at MN, I see the Gophers winning. Did you see their O-line pushing around Purdue? it was like tossing rag dolls in the middle. Minnesota scares me.

So, regarding tonight's game - who wins it? I haven't seen LSU play, but they almost got beat by ASU, while TN (though I despise them) held a close game to FL. My guess (based on the fact I haven't seen LSU play) is 24-17 Tenn.

Forrest
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 10:57 am:   

BTW, Deborah, congrats on the Pitt win. Hopefully this will give them some momentum.

Is is just me, or does the Big East seem totally up for grabs at this point? I mean, WVU is ahead, but they should be beatable, I would think.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 11:04 am:   

I'm picking LSU. You got to figure in the trauma factror. LSU's got more talent than Tenn, except at RB, where LSU's big guy is out -- but I think they're faster on both side of the ball. That game at FLA was only close because UF hasn't gotten the hang of Meyer's offense. LSU is good enough to win the conference.

I go along with Minne by a TD. But it all depends om the QBs, which makes the most mistakes....

And yes, I did see the rag dolls. :-)

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 11:21 am:   

I have to admit I'm confused about the BE. I still think L-ville is the best squad, but now there's doubt....

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 12:03 pm:   

I say, USF for the BCS!

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 12:50 pm:   

Oh Boy! That would scrag the BCS.

Deborah
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 01:21 pm:   

Thanks, Forrest. Funny thing about Saturday's game is it was Throwback Day so they were wearing the uniforms from the '76 season (last NC Matt Cavanaugh was QB, etc..) and the players apparently want to keep wearing them. Palko said in the paper yesterday that he definitely noticed a little more swagger when they took the field in those uniforms. Now the whole team thinks they're lucky.

And, the BE is a mess...up for grabs completely.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 01:33 pm:   

Throwback Day, Were Neanderthals in attendance? :-)

I think the swagger might have been due to Youngstown State on the other side of the ball, but hey, whatever works....

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 01:36 pm:   

Hey, I'd be swaggering in those old Pitt unis, too. They were stylin'.

So who do we think USF will end up playing in the Orange Bowl? :-)

Deborah
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 01:48 pm:   

Put it this way, Dave: Take Miami and the points.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 01:51 pm:   

Against USF? Whoa!

Deborah
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 01:56 pm:   

Speaking of bad luck...did you see where the top two QBs at Memphis both broke their legs and are out for the year? Bad karma.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 02:30 pm:   

Yeah, I saw that. And the Jets are down to Brook Bollinger. :-)

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 02:34 pm:   

He may not be much of a QB, but I hear he diversified his offensive line's portfolios by placing them in high-yield corporate bonds and a range of biotech stocks with attractive dividend profiles. And he's got opera season tickets!

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 03:13 pm:   

And he's gonna have a broken spine.....

Alex
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 04:11 pm:   

Aaggghhh. And to think I made fun of Minz at KGB on Wednesday...

Forrest
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 06:36 pm:   

Brooks Bollinger? Whodat? :-)

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 06:48 pm:   

You notice, Forrest, LSU is winning? :-)

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 07:03 pm:   

THat's okay, Alex, Minz is used to it....Oh, you mean about the game. :-)

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 07:45 pm:   

I've heard of teams taking on the personality of the coach, but at one time tonight I was l looking at the Tenn sideline and saw a string on immense corpulent heads with fleshy features squashed into their helmets, and realized a horrifying truth: The Vols were taking on the physicality of their coach. Which may explain why they're losing :-)

Deborah
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 08:03 pm:   

Oh, who needs an explanation...it's like a field a wild flowers, a storm in the desert, a newly hatched eagle...it's just the wonderous beauty of nature. We don't exlain it. We just savor it.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 08:31 pm:   

Yup. :-)

But now they're in OT. Les Miles is the new Lloyd Carrr. Doesn't anybody ever teach these guys to keep the hammer down? They accused Spurrier of running up the score, but once he got you down, you didn't come back on him.

Deborah
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 09:14 pm:   

Looks like I spoke too soon.

But, on a lighter note, just to show all o' y'all how right Dave is about those studly retro Pitt uniforms...

Palko

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 09:19 pm:   

Why, those are nice! Like a certain shirt.

You see the post-game int with Clausen. What an asshole!

Forrest
Posted on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 07:28 am:   

I missed it. What did he have to say about how great he is?

Josh Rountree
Posted on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 08:38 am:   

"Les Miles is the new Lloyd Carrr."

As coach at Oklahoma State, Les Miles was up on the Longhorns 35-0 late in the second quarter last year.

The final score was: Horns 52, OSU 35

Now *that's* how you blow a lead!

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 09:00 am:   

Last night was a pretty good example, too, Josh...

Forrest, I can't do it verbatim, but he went on at some length. And then Fullmer embraced him and said that Claussen was the greatest story in college ball...this in the face of Katrina and LSU football and despite going off Clausen more times than a bullrider...

It was disgusting.

Forrest
Posted on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 02:59 pm:   

Did they lock tongues?

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 03:10 pm:   

Fullmer pulled Claussen's head to his breast, but no tongues...not then, anyway.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register