New Pro Football Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » New Pro Football « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lucius
Posted on Friday, September 16, 2005 - 08:20 am:   

Raiders-Chiefs is, in my view, the featured game this week. Pat-Panthers is a good one, Will the team of the future take a step aliong the road to destiny? Atlanta-Seattle....another good one. But the Browns upset of the Packers will tap another nail in Farve's coffin and SHOCK THE WORLD!

Josh Rountree
Posted on Friday, September 16, 2005 - 12:20 pm:   

FWIW - I think the Pack will bounce back against the Browns. Chiefs will smack the Raiders. Pats & Panthers could go either way.

And for the record: Skins 10, Cowboys 17

Lucius
Posted on Friday, September 16, 2005 - 12:37 pm:   

I think the Pats kill Carolina withour Kris Jenkins.

I was being facetious about the Browns, but they won't roll over.

Jenni
Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 10:02 am:   

Well, the ratings I saw had the Brownies at dead last, but the Pack wasn't too far above that. You know I love Favre, but I think Cleveland can beat 'em if they can keep him off his rhythm. The NFL these days is rife with upsets, and this may be one of them.

They'll probably show us the SF/Philly game here in Oakland. SF made a good showing last week, and McNabb wasn't consistent, even before he took the chest hit. (And I sure did notice TO wasn't happy, though I haven't heard a peep out of him, which says a lot (or I missed the story). What can he say, he botched all on his own on direct shots he should have had.) But I still think Philly is a far better team and won't be out of sync this week and will take this one.

I wish I had seen Fitzgerald. If he's Rice-like, wow. I remember when Rice was able to pull in anything that got within radar distance of himself.

And now to the Raiders/KC game. Well, I'll be there in person, so all you Raider-haters take a day off and think kind thoughts for me. I have no objectivity where they're concerned, but in my attempts to find some, I do see a Raider defense that can stop the run (but KC has got Johnson and Holmes), and hope the secondary can get their act together against the pass, though that appears less a threat from KC. The Raiders have Moss, and if Collins can throw with a bad thumb, and Porter can hang in, we've got a good chance for some points there. And Jordan seems to be able to mow them down while carrying the ball. So I see a Raider win in Oakland today!

Deborah
Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 10:23 am:   

I been meaning to clarify this Team of the Future/Team of Destiny thing...Last year the Cards were the Team of the Future. Now, here we are, in said future, where they are the Team of Destiny.

:-)

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 10:25 am:   

Raider Jenni, thought you'd fallen into a....black hole. Have fun and obey the dress code. Raiders-Chiefs is always competitive, but I gotta go with the Chiefs--hoping the Raiders upset 'em.

Cinci is up early over Minnesota 14-0. Jeez, was I wrong! GB may actually have a shot at the division. Tice is so out of there.

I'm watching the Pitt-Houston game. Willie Parker is for real. Rothlisberger looks great.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 10:50 am:   

Roethlisberger's first quarter stats. 8-11, 140 yards, 2 TDS....

Parker--56 yards rushing.

Jenni
Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 11:09 am:   

Ah, Lucius. You are so kind to me today!

I'm switching between SF/Philly and NE/Carolina.

Philly has got it all over SF -- McNabb to TO, running, interceptions -- and is making SF look like the same team they were last year. Carolina looks TOUGH, and Brady looks worried!

I almost never get to see my man McNair, but Tennessee is holding its own against Baltimore so far. Big :-)

And what is happening with Minnesota? Being shut out by the Bengals? Was Moss really that vital to the Vikes?

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 11:26 am:   

Well, the upside of the Minne story is that TIce may be out of there. I don't think it's a question of talent or losing Moss, it's a matter of adjustments, and Tice and his staff are not making them.

Pittsburgh looks mighty good.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 11:30 am:   

"Last year the Cards were the Team of the Future. Now, here we are, in said future, where they are the Team of Destiny."

Well, the Team Of Destiny better get on the stick and TCOB today. This is a division game and they need to take the Rams down.

Alex
Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 12:11 pm:   

Ay yi yi, what a horror show from Harrington so far.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 12:29 pm:   

Haven't seen any of it. But...the Bears? Weird.

Jenni
Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 01:42 pm:   

Man, Carolina looked AWESOME today! Defense looked like their SB team of yore. (Unfortunately for my fantasy RB, Dillon, yow did they do a good job of shutting him down, along with most everything else NE tried.)

Off to see the Raiders now. (Is my Cheesehead hat appropriate, Lucius?) I see the Brownies are keeping it even so far. Wish I could see that one, too!

Yodel-ay-dee-hoo!

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 02:06 pm:   

"(Is my Cheesehead hat appropriate, Lucius?)"

Is that a trick question?

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 02:08 pm:   

Brownies are up on the Pack!!!!!!!

I hope this holds-I'll never stop ragging Minz. :-)

Jenni
Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 02:19 pm:   

"Is that a trick question?"
Just wanted to see if you were paying attention.

And I wager you'll never stop ragging on Minz, no matter who wins. :-)

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 02:44 pm:   

Yup, No doubt.

b
Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 03:15 pm:   

>Tice and his staff are not making them.

absolutely

b
Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 03:27 pm:   

Bray! Lon! Bray! Lon!

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 03:27 pm:   

How long you figure he's got?

Meanwhile, the Browns 19, Packers 7.....

Please, God...

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 03:34 pm:   

If this score holds up, whoda thunk that the Bears (by virtue of their beatdown of the Lions) woud be leadning the division after a couple of weeks?

b
Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 03:36 pm:   

Vikes went backwards from last week, which was already a game in the wrong direction. One more loss and he's gone, I'd guess.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 03:38 pm:   

Well, one more loss -- they'll still have a shot at the division.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 04:16 pm:   

With less than a minute, the Browns leading by nine, I believe I can definitely say, YES! yO MAMA, MINZ!

Deborah
Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 04:17 pm:   

No longer being a fan I'm watching the Browns in a dispassionate, disinterested way...taking no delight in the humiliation they're dishing out. None. None at all. Not even a little bit happy. Pshaw.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 04:21 pm:   

Team of the Future!!!!!

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 04:25 pm:   

Farve is beginning to look like the Brooding Skull!

How 'bout that Dilfer! Bet the Ravens wish they had him now!

b
Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 05:03 pm:   

>Well, one more loss -- they'll still have a shot at the division.

True, but Tice ended the year 1-4. Now he's 1-6.

That can't be wowing ol' Zigi.

b
Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 05:04 pm:   

Hoooo!

Thank you, Browns...

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 05:18 pm:   

Especially sweet in the light of Farve passing the 50k yard mark and the Reggie White Celebration.

God, I'm gonna miss Farve's stupefied looks after his many stupefying INTs.

Jenni
Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 09:55 pm:   

Raiders lost, but it was still one helluva game! The stadium was in an almost nonstop uproar from kick-off until the last KC 1st down with 1:32 on the clock. Got to give the D their props against KC's offensive machine (they are absolutely unflappable and precise), especially since they must have been on the field 90% of the game. I thought we could swing the momentum after Moss's incredible TD catch (definitely the play of the week) and KC had a couple of big-yard penalties, but those 11 lost TD points to penalties in the first half, a mostly ineffective O in the second, and that damn KC TE Gonzalez who kept keeping their drives alive, were too much to overcome. :-(

Lucius, you must be a happy camper at least.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 10:16 pm:   

Yes I am.

I thought the Raiders got screwed on that end zone call against Moss.

Best-looking tean I saw today was Pittsburgh.

Jenni
Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 10:45 pm:   

Yep, definitely got screwed there. Par for the course with the Raiders, it seems.

At least I have McNair's win to be happy about.

You think Pittsburgh looked better than KC? They both seem to have A+ offensive players at multiple positions. Though the Steelers do have Roethlisberger. (BTW, has he lost a regular-season game yet since he started last season?)

I was really impressed by Carolina's defense today.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 06:34 am:   

The steelers have found a star in willie parker. He's the real deal. And they've taken the training wheels off Roethlisberger and are letting him throw downfiled, which he does very well. Their defense is way bettter than KCs. You can't tell where the pressure's coming from. That said, they might lose next week--they've got NE coming in. But, yeah, I think they're better than KC.

Mow a moment of silence in memory of the GB Packers.... :-)

Minz
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 07:46 am:   

Why you gotta be a hata, Lucius? :-)
At least the offense almost showed signs of life in the game--five drives of at least ten plays. But the red zone needs a lot of work, and the D came crashing back to earth. If this keeps up, we might see Rodgers starting before the end of the year... (try and keep yourself under control, Lucius)

At least we weren't absolutely embarassed (*cough Viqueens cough cough*). And last but not least, this might be the year that someone with a losing record wins a division. The NFC North is playing the AFC North, which is pretty solid top to bottom. If there's a whole lot of series splits among the teams, 7-9 could win it... The other saving grace for the Pack is that they always start slow and finish strong. And that's what I have to keep telling myself if I want to get to sleep at night.

Most importantly, the BADgers won. That certainly helps mitigate the pain. Next week's game against Michigan is gonna be good. I think the BADgers will at least make it interesting.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 07:59 am:   

I definitely think that a lame ass 7-9 can win the division.

"The D came crashing back to earth."

At least it didn't have far to fall. :-)

"We might see Rodgers...."

Heh Heh Heh

Talk about embarrassment, what about Joey Harrington? That little experiment is over. He's never gonna be an NFL qb.

Leaving the NFC North, the Gulf Coast of the NFL. what about that Leftwich. Toughest QB I've ever seen. They're gonna contend this year.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 09:02 am:   

So, tonight either my Giants get their backsides handed to them on Monday Night Football AGAIN, to the huzzahs of people of good conscience everywhere, or they will go from 2001's Uplifters of the Downtrodden to 2005's curs, mountebanks, killjoys, rotters and general spoilsports.

Wonderful. I think I'll watch Two and a Half Men. Or better yet, a real laff riot: Cowboys-Deadskins.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 09:23 am:   

I was just imagining if yesterday's Packer game...if they had played against a real NFL defense like Carolina or Jacksonville or et al...and not a bunch of rookies and plug-in players...How would that have been?

Woo, boy! Some fun!

Dave, I don't need a disaster to hate the Giants, I hate 'em for ordinary reasons. . Just the thought of Eli makes my lip curl.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 10:12 am:   

Ahhhh, that's my Lucius...:-)

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 10:33 am:   

You expected, maybe, Mahatma Ghandi?

Josh Rountree
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 10:53 am:   

It's possible that the Cowboys will win and both the Redskins and Giants will lose -- all in primetime. God bless us, everyone.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 11:08 am:   

I will wait to hear the rejoicing of people in the streets, the choirs of moppets singing hymns of thanks and the teary hosannas of the evening newscasters to let me know whether the Saints have once again held the Four Horsemen at bay for their needy fans. If I smell brimstone and sulfur, I'll know the Giants had a good game.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 11:10 am:   

That;s not what everyone else will be smelling if the Giants win...

Deborah
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 01:07 pm:   

Incidentally, all you Stat-watchers out there...after two games, Larry Fitzgerald (of the ToD) is now second in the NFC in receiving behind TO--LF has 17 catches for 225 yds. and TO has 12 for 255.

Jenni
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 01:53 pm:   

Hi Minz. Just thought I'd let you know I commiserate with you on Favre. NO, not ready yet for Rodgers!!!

Hey Deborah -- glad you have a bright spot with Fitzgerald. I'll probably get to see him at last when they play SF.

And good luck to your 'Boys, Josh. (Just on principle, of course, never did like the 'Skins.)

And speaking of QB expressions (such as stupefied re. Favre), go here for another one, especially if you're a Pat-hater, headed by a PO'd Brady with the headline "Defending Chumps."

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl

b
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 01:57 pm:   

0-2 is 0-2, Minz.

Care for a sewage cocktail, or will you be dining on rat, tonight, messieur?

Jenni
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 02:11 pm:   

Who are you, 'b'? Did you used to be Barth, or is that someone else?

I'm sure you're right about Pitt being better than KC, Lucius, but everywhere I looked on the field last night, KC had trouble for the S&B -- Johnson, Holmes, Gonzalez, Hall, etc., and Green had so much protection and his passing was so precise. I COULDN'T STAND IT, I TELL YOU!

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 02:22 pm:   

Go, Larry.

Yeah, well. The Pats were better than the Raiders too. I think KC is about 4th best in the AFC. Maybe fifth.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 02:22 pm:   

Who's the Browns' next victim. :-)

Josh Rountree
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 02:44 pm:   

Well, the Boys don't have to play the Browns this year (Whew!!) but they do have to play the TEAM OF DESTINY at some point.

Deb - are you still totally shunning the Browns, or do you anticipate a return to the fold. ;)

Jenni - thanks for the well wishes, but it's the Skins...that's money in the bank, right??

Deborah
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 02:48 pm:   

Browns at Colts next week, she said with utter lack of interest.

Jenni, the way my college team is going this year, I do need to see something good out of the Team of Destiny...

Deborah
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 03:03 pm:   

Josh, we cross-posted...I'm shunning. They need to make one good first round draft pick, one that's not an underachieving head-case, to win me back. I just need to feel that the Mist of Confusion that seems to rise from Lake Erie and engulf the front office has dissipated.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 03:05 pm:   

Methinks that you have chosen the wrong team of destiny, D. While the Cards may yet win their division, the Browns will surely go far in futrure years under the Guidance of Crennel.

Jenni
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 03:07 pm:   

I'm goin' with the Cowboys, Josh. Washington's switching QBs, while Dallas is at home, emotional day honoring former greats (even though that didn't work for the Pack), and I believe in Bledsoe and Keyshawn.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 03:23 pm:   

And PS, D.....Braylon qualifies as a non-head case, don'tcha think?

Barth
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 03:23 pm:   

Yes, Jenni. b is me. Sorry bout that. :-)

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 03:25 pm:   

That's really goin out on a limb, Jenni, picking against a team who's QB is almost as old and brittle as his coach. :-)

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 03:28 pm:   

That's OK. Barth. You're right in style with your minnimalism. I just found out that Minnesota is now calling itself "m."

Deborah
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 03:34 pm:   

Okay, Braylon hasn't gone insane yet, that's true, but he played at Michigan, so he's probably vulnerable on Ohio soil.

Jenni
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 03:42 pm:   

"QB is almost as old and brittle as his coach."

That's what they thought about Plunkett when he finally got to Oakland with no knees. And Brunell is the opposing QB tonight, and he hasn't earned my respect yet.

OK, b. Sorry about "m." Looks like we're in the same 0-2 boat with Minz and Deborah. Sewage cocktails all around. Lucius is buying.... :-)

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 03:56 pm:   

Well, I don't think he will. I think they should have drafted for d, but he's looking good.....Still, I get yr point. But your're shunning the Browns about as much as I am!

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 04:01 pm:   

Brunell, at this stage of his career, plays about as well as Plunkett does now....Demarcus may make us forget LT's hit on Thiesman.

Buy yer own sewage!

Deborah
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 04:06 pm:   

Oh, but I am shunning the Browns. On Sunday, I was watching the ToD and switching over to the Browns during commercials. This is a very different thing from watching the Browns and switching over to the ToD during commercials.

Jenni
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 04:08 pm:   

"Brunell, at this stage of his career, plays about as well as Plunkett does now"

Lucius, you just confirmed my position -- unless you're saying Plunkett now can outplay Bledsoe!

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 04:27 pm:   

I see, Deborah, What if they play at diffferent times?

No, Jenni, that's now what I'm saying.

Jenni
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 05:21 pm:   

You are so much fun, Lucius. Mwah!

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 06:00 pm:   

What is "Mwah?" Is that Raider speak? Does it mean "Bring me meat and berries?" An expression of outrage? A strangled outcry?? What?

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 07:00 pm:   

Brunel is so much better than Ramsey/ :-)

Jenni
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 07:38 pm:   

I just got home and haven't seen a thing, except that Dallas is ahead at the half and my prediction is correct ... for now.

"Brunel is so much better than Ramsey." Isn't that a bit like saying he's better than Harrington?

You've never heard of "Mwah"? It's an insidious kiss blown from a distance. (Is there an emoticon for that?)

Josh Rountree
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 07:41 pm:   

Halftime. Not the most exciting game in the history of the sport...

Jenni
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 07:50 pm:   

TD Dallas -- it just got interesting, at least!

Jenni
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 07:56 pm:   

I want to edit that: "Mwah" is an insidious kiss blown from afar.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 08:08 pm:   

I think ramsey's better than both of 'em. Thanks fer the translation.

Jenni
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 08:15 pm:   

"I think ramsey's better than both of 'em."

I'll take that to be facetious. I'd like to see Brunell get back to his early Jaguar-form.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 08:27 pm:   

No, I think Ramsey's better. Only way Brunell gets back to his early Jag forrn, he rents a time machine.

Jenni
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 09:33 pm:   

"Only way Brunell gets back to his early Jag forrn, he rents a time machine."

Hee hee! Brunell meets HG!

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 10:03 pm:   

You call that back to his early Jag form? Sheesh.. A case of cowboy incompetence and lightning in a bottle. I give him four games before his season's over.

Jenni
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 10:08 pm:   

That'll still be longer than the Brownies'! :-)

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 10:24 pm:   

If we're talking teans, how many ganes will the Skins win? The Browns are going lose a lot thus year, but at least they have a coach who remembers what year it is -- they have a lot more of a future than the Skins, or, for that matter, the Raiders, who'll be sitting on 0-3 after next week.

Jenni
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 10:46 pm:   

But 0-3 for the Raiders isn't until NEXT week. I'm gonna stay in my little fantasy world a few more days with Brunell and his borrowed time machine (not that I care about the 'Skins at all), and visions of the Team of the Decades upsetting Donnie and his soup eaters.

And Favre and Culpepper will be back on top as well.

I see you have a Manning in your future. There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 03:31 am:   

Gee, do you like every white retarded QB?

Farve will be back on top again? Maybe, but on top of what? The NFC North?

This is the watered-down version of the NFL where anybody can go 2-0, even the talenless Redskins; where parity has replaced excellence; where a team can start 0-2, 0-3, and still be considered a contender. So if you feel like woofing, Jenni, over some lame-ass game during which one of your Aryan brothers had a moment, woof on. The fact is, it's early, but the season is already a farce--it'll be Philadelphia v somebody not the Raiders in Super Bowl 40, and the winner of the NFC North will go out in the first round of the playoffs unless they play another team from the NFC north. So much for Farve. As for a Manning in my future, who's your favorite, Eli or Peyton? Do you think Eli's cuter with his shy, stammering version of a kid who stood too close to a Catholic priest or do you go for the drool-cup Garsh, I dunno faux-humilty of Peyton the dog-faced boy? All a Philly-Indy Super Bowl means to me is I get to work that Sunday, No weeping, no gnashing of teeth. I got college ball, which is a hell of a lot more exciting than the pros, and my team's not going to do anything this year, anyway. So I get to sit back and playa-hate tor a couple-three years...that is, unless the Bucs are for real, and then I'll get a little excited. But thank god, I'm not a Raider fan. Not only would my team be buggered, I'd have to dress up like a silver-and-black dingleberry every week. Wow, that must hurt!

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 06:57 am:   

No more "mwahs" for you, Lucius...:-)

Lost in all this back and forth is the fact that, yes, the Giants did prevail. A lot of that "America's Team" goodwill went right down the crapper with the post-game bellyaching about how it didn't "feel" like a home game...Sheesh, they brought in Marsalis and Connick and gave 'em a hero's welcome. What more do they want? Sympathy points? Joe Horn needs to get on his goalpost-phone and order in a family-size order the shut-the-hell-up.

Lucius is right. Too early to crow. Anything can happen. But the Jints look decent.

Jenni
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 07:14 am:   

Sticks and stones....

"do you like every white retarded QB?"
Gee, last time I looked, my favorite QB McNair wasn't white, and when did Culpepper join the Aryan ranks? (I've also been pulling for Jeff Blake since he was with the Bengals and finally was able to prove his worth in NO until he got injured and, voila, Brooks made his appearance. At least he's got a job in Chicago....)

"on top of what? The NFC North?"
It'll still get him into the playoffs.

I don't care about the Mannings, but they play well. TO has a big mouth, but he's still a helluva receiver. "Liking" and who I think plays well have nothing to do with each other (OK, that's not absolute). I like Indy for Dungy's sake, not Manning's, I just like to goad you about him and his brother (heh, heh). Dungy's Bucs beat the S&B in the SB -- problem was, he'd been sacked and Chucky was the one who got the win (who rightly gave a lot of the credit to Dungy). Talk about irony -- Gruden essentially beat his own disarrayed team with Dungy's powerhouse defense -- it was just synchronicity for him. Though I do want the Bucs to do well. (Vroom, vroom Cadillac!). (Word is Chucky's out if they don't go all the way this year.)

And if it IS Philly-Indy, I will have torn loyalties, rooting for Dungy and McNabb.

Further, since we're in hata-mode, though I like PITT and agree your WHITE QB and Parker are outstanding, don't forget they are 2-0 against the Titans and Texans. Sheesh! Wait 'til they're up against a real team (i.e., NE), and then tell me how good they looked.

At least you're an Aryan-hater, even if I have become the target of your wrath.

Like I've said before: You are so much fun, Lucius. Mwah! ("My, what a hata!")

Jenni
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 07:23 am:   

I cross posted with you, Dave, and the "mwah" went out ... albeit slightly revised.

Hey, Josh. 1 lousy point. That sucks. I was wrong about Bledsoe to Keyshawn -- it was Bledsoe to Glenn (everything Keyshawn did was nullified by a penalty ... sigh).

There's always next week! I'll pick some dingleberries for you, Lucius.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 08:27 am:   

Jenni, to paraphrase the great Patrick Swayze, you ain't met wrath, yet. I assumed you were just being mouthy, like me, but if these are attempts to goad me, you might wind up meeting him...though beating up kids for their lunch money isn't my style. However, I got some real-life problems that I'm dealing with at the moment. They make me a little edgy. You been warned.

You don't read the posts, apparently, you just look for the buzz words. I said in a previous post that I thought NE could very well beat the Steelers.

Yeah, I heard all that before about Dungy. He's a good coach, but there must be a reason he hasn't won the big one, considering the players he's had. If he doesn't win this year, that legend's right out the window.

As far as Farve goes, getting in the playoffs from that division is nothing to shout about. And playoffs or not, Farve's still repellent. Truthfully, if Orton continues to develop, I like the Bears...

McNair, huh? The word "token" occurs. I never heard you mention Culpepper or Blake before. You seem to spread your loyalties around quite a bit. Who don't you like?, would seem to be the question. A Raider fan who doesn't detest TB? After the reaming they gave your team? What was it--44 to something? I have a close friend who's a Raider fan. He won't even speak Chucky's name and refers to TB as "that Florida team." You sure you're a Raider fan? I'll look for you next Raider game I watch. I'm picturing you dressed as a Giant Panda, silver and black, with dangly skull earrings and a spiked purse.

Actually, if your loyalties are torn between the Eagles and Indy, we really don't have much to say to each other. That's just disgusting.

Big smile.

Josh Rountree
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 09:00 am:   

God, what a disgusting meltdown. Beat on the same play -- twice. The D looked wonderful the first 55 minutes of the game.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 09:10 am:   

Quoting Swayze. I may not like your teams, but I do like your style...:-)

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 09:36 am:   

Paraphrasing Swaze....:-)

Yep, Josh. That was just weird. 4 and 15, a couple minutes to go, you're supposed to keep everything in front of you...

What happened?

Jenni
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 10:38 pm:   

Yep, Lucius, I'm just being mouthy. Any goading is only intended to encourage you to be more so. Believe me, I know I am nowhere near your league and that you humor me. I apologize if I hit any real-life buttons -- no intention to do so.

I do read (and often re-read) the posts. I was struck by Sunday's comments about how good Pittsburgh looked that day, and by Tuesday morning, that's what stayed with me.

Yeah, I agree about Dungy. I will be sorry to see that happen.

You're right, I've never mentioned Blake before, though did put Culpepper in the same sentence with Favre earlier.

"Who don't you like?"
My loyalty philosophy: I like the Raiders first and foremost, and always want them to win (and especially anyone in their division and the 'Niners to lose), but having other players or coaches to like is the only way I know to care about who wins other match-ups when my own Team of the Decades isn't on the field. McNair's got my heart too, though -- his ducking, rushing, throwing on the run may not be good football, but I enjoy the hell out of it.

My all-time fave player is Plunkett. I got interested in football the year he won the Heisman and went to the Rose Bowl, and since my mother is a rabid sports fan and Stanford alum, that's the college team we followed, and then he excelled with the Raiders, so he is Mr. Football to me.

I don't quite get the hatred of Chucky (and I know one or two real Raider fans who still like him, too). Davis got rid of him because he was too cheap to pay real money for a coach and didn't like Gruden's popularity (or so the rumor mill around here says); Chucky didn't ask to go.

Stay sweet! xoxo

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 12:23 am:   

How could you not like Plunkett? He's the old gunslinger coming out of the hills for one last fight. I liked Stabler too -- don't understand why he's not in the HOF. And Ted Hendrix, who was a Hurricane.

No, I don't get the hatred of Gruden. I mean the Raiders wouldn't pay him, so what choice did he have? But it's there.

With me it's the Browns, Cowboyz, and Bucs...
though the Bucs affection is due mainly to Warren Sapp and the fact that I bet a few hunded bucks pre-season at 28-1 on them to win the Super Bowl in their Super Bowl year. I like good defense better than offense.

Sorry about the dust-up. Like I said, I'm a little edgy right now. Makes me irritable.

Jenni
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 06:52 am:   

I just woke up from a dream that I was interviewing three USC players (look of total confusion and bewilderment).

No worries. I hope things get better.

Same HOF question for Plunkett.

And remember Blanda? "Holy Toledo!" I heard Madden say recently that if he had it to do over, he would have kept him longer, because a cool-headed vet is more valuable than an inexperienced young guy.

Ah, Sapp. We hated him and his motor mouth, until he became our motor mouth. Every home game last season, he was the first player out of the locker room and led the team onto the field -- before Timmy, Gannon, everybody. (His stock is down this year....)

Now, everybody goes ape shit over Moss when he's introduced (me, too) -- always saved for last. Porter seems to be taking it with grace (and I think he's just about Moss's equal on the field).

I know what you mean about defense. I'm learning to pay better attention to them -- it's so easy to be enamored of the high-falutin' offensive players (guilty). I truly enjoyed watching Carolina's D on Sunday -- they just kept pounding away at NE and corners Lucas and Gamble broke up so many plays -- they were a sight to behold!

I still think of the Panthers and Jags as expansion teams. The Ravens are upstarts (love Deion, always have, so sue me). Even the Bucs and Seattle still seem like "new" teams to me. The Texans aren't on my radar yet. And I still need a cheat sheet to remember who's in what division since going from 6 to 8 of them, even though geographically it makes more sense now.

Thanks for having this board so I can escape the drudgery of work and come play with you guys.

Minz
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 07:23 am:   

Nothing like facing a must-win in Week Three. Because we go _to_ Carolina in Week Four, so we darn well better take care o' business against the resurgent Bucs. I know we went 1-4 to start last year, but the end of Oct-end of Nov is pretty brutal (at MN, at Cincy, Pitt, at Atlanta, MN, at Philly). Of course, I was a lot more worried about those MN games before the season started. I knew their offense would miss Moss--even Luciused about it (is that the first time you've ever been used as a verb, Lucius?)--but not this much. Wow.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 09:22 am:   

I don't think it's a question of missing Moss, as much as its a total offensive breakdown, a failure of scheme. Moss hasn't meant that much to the 0-2, soon to be 0-3, Raiders. The GB Defense is a get-well card for troubled offenses. And the GB Offense has gotten, what, ten points against the Brown and the Lions? At least Minne's lack of success has been achieved against team with decent defenses. I'd worry about Minne if I were you, Minz. Tampa Bay is do or die, man. Cadillac's injured, so Ground CHucky won't be as effective, but it's gonna be tough.

Time to start singing LA LA LA LA I'm not hearing you.

Yeah, first time as a verb.

I predict a total absence of farve by the end of week six.

Jenni, I can't think of the Panther or the Jags as expansion teams because of the success they've had. The Browns are an expansion team. We don't talk about the Ravens...though I admit to following them a little becaise of Lewis and Reed.

The Texans are regressing.

Minz
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 09:48 am:   

I must admit, I didn't bother staying up to watch the Dallas-Washington game. Too bad. It sounds like Roy Williams did a fine job of blowing it for the team...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/andrew_perloff/09/21/huddle.roy.wi lliams/index.html

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 10:08 am:   

Y'know, to hell with the 'Aints. Seriously. After the Giants management rearranged things to give these guys a place to play, flew in Hairy Conehead, Jr. and one of the Marsalises so they would feel at home and the league dragged every old superstar out of mothballs to give their home city a massive telethon, those guys do nothing but pout and whine after getting their butts whipped. "Next time, tell the league to stop patronizing us," says Bitchboy Brooks. Patronizing you? Give me a break. I don't care if those tools win another game, hurricane or no hurricane. They are doing a poor job of representing their hometown.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 10:59 am:   

Are you serious, Dave? Yeah, the league was real mangnamimous. I can't believe you think Harry Fruitbar and Marsalis meant shit to the Saints. They could have played the game in Baton Rouge and still had the telethon. The only thing the NFl gave the Saints was a royal screwing, so they could hand their home franchise a freebie. But I tell you what, I seen enough of Eli to know he's never gonna be his bro...and giving the Giants an extra home game, using the Saints, and any other help they can give is the only way they'll ever make the play-offs.

Minz
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 11:18 am:   

Yeah, but what about Roy Williams blowing the game for the 'boys? :-)

And I'd have to side with Lucius on this, in that they could have played the game in Baton Rouge instead of giving the Gints a bonus home game. I think the Aint players should stf up, but there was no reason NOT to play the game in Baton Rouge. In fact, it could've been a financial boon to Baton Rouge on top of actually providing a social event there. Could've made half the seats at the stadium free to Katrina victims, thrown a huge tailgate party benefit concert in the parking lot. Shitloads of things that would've been a direct help, both financially and directly for the victims. But no, let's give the Gints a bonus homegame instead. Brilliant.

lakewood
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 11:21 am:   

It did my heart good to see the dawgs win a big game. I know the pack are not exactly the pack of "old" but to watch a Browns' game and see them hold a lead through the end and to still be the winners after the refs left the field and the lights went out, was a joy for an old believer like me. If "the new guy" can get the dawgs out of their "it ain't over until the browns blow it" rut, I'll worship at his altar.

It's been a long time, friends.

Go Dawgs!

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 11:37 am:   

Lakewood...Amen. Can't expect much this week, but they'll win a few and be in a bunch more....And they're on the right track, finally...

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 11:40 am:   

Can't access that stuff, Minz, but RW wins a lot more games than he loses.....

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 01:13 pm:   

I'm not privy to the inside baseball on this, but the Saints' schedule was crafted in a meeting attended by Tom Benson and the chancellor of LSU, so if they were adamant about the Baton Rouge thing, they should have spoken up. With N.O.'s crummy home record under Haslett, I doubt it would have mattered.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 01:22 pm:   

If what you say is true, then the Saints weren't privy to it either. As to whether or not it mattered, that's moot, but I have to believe that away from home, Eli would miss his teddy...and his blanky.

Minz
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 01:45 pm:   

Actually, I have high hopes that with just a little more chance to show his true mettle, Eli will soon enjoy similar treatment from his homecrowds as Aaron Brooks has enjoyed (I remember him getting booed during intros to the last game of the year, where NO needed a win to have a shot at the playoffs, and the fans were booing him before it even started!) Soon, Eli, soon it will be your turn for such loving treatment. (Again, Dave, unlike some on this board, not a Gints hata, just that carpetbagging piece o' crap, Eli).

And I heartily join in on the Go Dawgs! front. Here's hoping they make the playoffs (probably won't have a chance this year, but maybe next...)

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 02:11 pm:   

Benson is the Saints' owner, so he signed off.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 02:27 pm:   

Benson's not the team--I doubt the team or the coaches even knew about the meeting. It just another example of collusion among management. Tags get his new york showcase, blah blah blah...

"...carpetbagging piece of crap..." Right on, Minz! And Archie the asshole....I think could wind up autistic from his NY experience.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 03:35 pm:   

Eli could wind up autistic....

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 03:46 pm:   

You're all alone on this one, Dave. There's no doubt that the Saints got the short stick here. And BTW, they didn't have to fly in B Marsalis. He and Wynton have apts in Lincoln Center. As for Connick, all the league had to do to get him there was promise him a peek inside the Giant's locker room. I'm shocked that a canny dude like yourself could be hornswoggled by the NFL party line.

Jenni
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 12:20 am:   

Yeah, the Saints and Giants at Baton Rouge would have made more sense emotionally, and certainly as much or more financially.

Yep, misused the word "expansion" up there. It's just that I remember when there weren't any Seahawks, Bucs, Jags, Panthers, or Ravens, and they still seem "new" to me. I missed the Titans on that list, too. (Though the Ravens and Titans are just new names for older teams.)

Speaking of booing QBs -- last year Collins got booed quite a bit, during intros and on the field. The crowd was calling for back-up Tui last week against KC. But the coach will stick with Collins; Tui can move the ball, but he had too many turnovers preseason.

My, there are a lot of Brownie fans around here (shiver). I'll bet you're all pleased Dilfer was named Offensive Player of the Week: "passed for 336 yds and 3 TDs without an interception on 21 of 32 passing (65.6%) for a 131.8 passer rating." Whoda thunk? Altho' it's kinda nice to see so many cast-off QBs getting some respect again (so far) this year: Bledsoe, Brunell, Green, Warner, and dare I mention Griese?

Dallas will be in town the next two weeks -- first at SF, then at Oakland. Word is Rattay will start, but we shall see. I expect SF will fare better against Dallas than Philly, but it's still unlikely to go well for Oakland's enemy across the Bay (heh, heh....).

Although Philly should have no trouble beating Oakland, I'm hoping it will be one of the week's upsets! Unfortunately, you just never know what you're going to get from the Silver & Black (except penalties). They've got talent, but it's not gelling (yet?). As noted above, Moss isn't a factor. 0-3 is probably right. I want Chucky back! :-)

I see the Browns will also be making a trip to the Raider Nation later in the year. Heaven help me.

lakewood
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 04:38 am:   

The problem with a Saints move to another town (Las Vegas sounds likely to me too) is that they would have to be the most unwanted franchise in history (although Nashville took the Oilers-- note name change, however!). The poor, lamentable 'aints. At least the Browns were good at some point in the distant past. Or maybe that's worse.

Jenni, I'm just glad the Raidahs are back in Oakland where they belong (breaking news!). Believe me, I know what it's like to lose your team. And get them back.

Eli and Peyton are the only two names more hated in our house than Elway and Model. And that's a lot of hate, ladies and gentlemen. Our very mild-mannered friends use a picture of Eli in a very uncomplimentary way. It shocked me.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 06:21 am:   

You have excellent friends, Lakewood! And no one is hated more than the Arch-Puke of Infamy, Modell.

The Saints have some good position players, but if they do move, they should leave Haslett to shore up the dikes in NO....

Jenni, I watched Tuiasosopo at the U of Washington for three years, and he's still the same. A stretch of brilliance, followed by a stretch of ridiculous scattershot passes. Only thing that separates him from Collins are his legs. I think they're better off with Collins, though I'm no Collins fan.

You can't have Chucky, but I understand your desire. Turner's a good coordinator, but as a head coach.....Enh!

Dilfer...The Ravens wish they had him back. Brian Billick's worst move ever was letting Dilfer go. That said, I have a friend who works in NFL graphics and he tells me that the two dumbest players in the league, guys who have trouble answering questions like What's your favorite color?, are Dilfer and Rick Mirer. But Offensive Player of the Week, not the pejorative usage...Yeah, I'm stoked.

The Browns in Oakland. What was that Napoleon said? "Let Cleveland sleep, for when she wakens, the earth will tremble."

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 06:24 am:   

It's OK, Lucius, I'm used to being all alone. As a NY fan who grew up in Dead Sox country, I've heard all the "evil genius" New York sports conspiracy theories. :-)

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 06:45 am:   

It doesn't matter the evil genius theories -- however you spin it, NO got reamed...

Minz
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 07:15 am:   

Lakewood, I think I love you!
My personal NFL's most hated--in order:
Modell
Elway
Eli
Michael Irvin
Deion
Moss
T.O.
Peyton
(I'm avoiding adding announcers and commentators, because the list would go on too long--Deion & Irvin earned it for their time as punk-ass bitc--I mean players)

Modell is actually the only one worthy of a bullet to the back of the head (the way he orchestrated his move out of Cleveland was the true work of an evil man--I remember him heading the owners' committee for expansion when he said there's no way another team could be supported in the DC area, so expansion teams went to Jacksonville & Carolina. And three years later, he's moving his team to Baltimore. Fuckin' dick.) The rest merely deserve derision and venom.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 07:29 am:   

You just hate Deion and MIke because they're good and regularly kicked Packer butt. Michael, esp,. has long since put paid to his past. Chewy was a child molester--he doesn't rate a vote? The Pack's Michael Jackson? Otherwise, the list lack's only a Farve.

Jenni
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 07:35 am:   

Lucius, I agree on Collins. There are rumblings among the rabble in Oakland that Walter might actually be our best bet.

Our other head coach problem is that it's actually Davis. That worked way back when, but not anymore.

"I'm just glad the Raidahs are back in Oakland where they belong"
Thanks, Lakewood. Though they lost a ton of fans to SF who ain't comin' back to the Nation. Not to mention PSL and ticket prices. And Davis has the gaul to sue the city because it doesn't sell out? We've got one of the worst public school systems around, but we have the money to subsidize his project. He finally got his luxury boxes, though, so it must be worth it. He may beat the Saints to Vegas. Do you think they'd rather have the Raiders there? I think I would totally abandon them if he moves them again. Probably the only reason I didn't when they moved to L.A. was because I was living there at the time, and Davis was bringing Plunkett to me!

Mirer -- there's someone I haven't thought of for a while. I don't think he has a home anymore. Maybe Detroit will ask him back....

"Let Cleveland sleep, for when she wakens, the earth will tremble."
I'm shaking already.... :-)

Jenni
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 07:42 am:   

Wow, Minz. You've got two of my faves on your list: Moss (I presume you mean R not S) and Deion. Well, it's a free country and all of that. At least we have Favre in common. Mwah! :-)

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 08:00 am:   

Mirer was in the league last year. Astounding. Such a lame-ass player, and he' s had what, a twelve-year career.

Rumour is, Detroit is gonna approach Jeff George. There are solid rumors, not just fan talk.

Minz
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 09:06 am:   

Jeff George. Wow.

I've hated Deion regardless of jersey. He's completely full o' s---, and while he was probably the best cover corner to ever play the game, was too much of an effete wussy. It's football. You're a defender. Hit somebody. This guy got knocked out for a month because he was tackled by a quarterback. Couldn't play because of bruised ribs. Two xrays revealed no break. Just bruised ribs. But he couldn't play. For a month. Because of a big mean QB hitting him. Break out the tutu. There's no crying in football (hence Elway's top ranking--Modell actually belongs off-the-chart, in his own class of worldclass mfer who deserves whatever bad karma can come his way. The day that piece o' crap dies will be a day for celebration. I kid you not.)

Irvin: World-class P.A.B. Busted with his bitches and coke, and he pulls his "top o' the world, ma" routine. "Do you know who I am?" the correct answer would be a man committing multiple felonies. And he got away with more pass interference than anybody in the game, even more than Chris Carter (or Darren Green in the last five years of his career). Though he never cheated the game as a player; he did leave it on the field, and deserves credit for that.

As for Randy Moss, while certainly his being a Packer-killer made me really dislike him, that's not enough to put him on the list. (The list would be a lot longer if that were the case, but I cannot have anything but grudging respect for guys like Aikman, Moose, Emmitt, etc.) Moss cheats the game. If he wanted to, he could be the best ever. He may even get there anyway. But he's far from a complete player. Crappy, disinterested blocker. Heck, sometimes he won't even bother runnin' his route on a passing play. He cheats the game and himself, on top of being a punk. (Wiping his ass on the goalpost was too much--moonin' the crowd goaded me, but I could live with it.)

As for Chewy, folks want to put them on their list because of his two-faced hypocritical child-molestin' ass, works for me. I won't put him on my own personal list, but he certainly has the chops to justify being on one. (There's plenty of others, like Lawrence Phillips, etc, but they don't have the depth and length of my hatred the way the guy's I listed do. My highly personalized creme de la crap.)

I left the Raider Nation when Al moved 'em to LA. When he hired Art Schell, I paid a little attention. But it's tough for me to look at Davis as anything but a money-grubbing opportunist, which makes it tough for me to rejoin the nation.

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 09:07 am:   

Minz, I agree with seven out of eight. Can you find room in there for Warren Sapp? Irvin may have repented of his past, but that doesn't excuse him for his crimes against the airwaves...

Minz
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 09:39 am:   

You're all thoroughly encouraged to put together your own personal Hate lists.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 10:06 am:   

Michael was a great teammate, he would run any route asked of him and run it with passion, and he was a winnner. Period. I'm not gonna condem his off-field behavior, because I did some of that shit myself and had anyone given me a ton of money in my twenties, I probably would have been as stupid. I'm certainly not gonna be a hypocrite about it. Moss...I agree, except I loved his end zone show in GB. I think you white boys need to get your head on straight. Irvin and Steve Young's relationship on the ESPN pregame is the most entertaining thing about the show. Warren Sapp? Aw, Dave! Did he beat up the Giants?

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 10:09 am:   

And Minz, you wouldn't hate Irvin if he hadn't killed the Pack year in, year out.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 10:50 am:   

PS -- Michael Irvin never went "hyuck, hyuck" after throwing an int.

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 11:01 am:   

Naw, Lucius, I don't hold grudges against people who beat MY teams...:-)

I never minded Sapp until that whole Chad Clifton cheap shot. That's why he makes my list. If I was gonna hate somebody for beating the Giants, it would be Trent Dilfer, but I bear him no ill will. May he prosper in Cleveland.

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 11:12 am:   

OK, I take that back...let me rephrase. I don't hold grudges against PROFESSIONAL players who beat my teams. Otherwise, I would have to hate Herman Edwards, Randall Cunningham, Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Trent Dilfer, Jake Reed, Brandon Stokely, Mr. Ray Ray, etc. Too much work there.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 11:24 am:   

What....are you a George Clifton fan?

I'll say to you what Warren said: Put your helmet on! Put your helmet on! :-)

Deborah
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 11:30 am:   

What about former Raiders' safety, Mike Davis? No love here.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 11:40 am:   

Who he? Did he do some evil.....

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 11:44 am:   

Was he the guy who intercepted sipe in the end zone? I seem to remember it was an LB.

Deborah
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 11:48 am:   

Yup. That's the guy.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 11:54 am:   

Yeah, string his sorry ass up along with the arch-villain Rutigliano....

Deborah
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 12:01 pm:   

And, let me hasten to add, I don't think 25 years is too long to remain bitter about it, do you?

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 12:08 pm:   

Oh no! But I don't blame Davis as much as I do the Browns coach. Cockroft, leading fg kicker in the league, from the 12 yd line...Nah, let try one more pass.

Deborah
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 12:23 pm:   

Oh, yeah. I still think about getting a bird so I'll have a bird cage to line with Rutigliano's picture.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 12:29 pm:   

It's not enough.

You have to make Rutogliano's face be the floor of the cage.

Josh Rountree
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 12:30 pm:   

Jeez, what an explosion of activity. Minz, I like your list with the obvious exceptions...

Irvin was one of the greatest team players in the history of the game. He was the guy on the sideline pumping everyone up, and he was the one doing everything it took (yeah, including pushing off) to win the game. As for off the field issues, he's the first to say he made his mistakes. He's apologied (sincerely) to everyone it affected, and he's basically a model citizen.

Deon might not have been the toughest guy on the field, but he rarely had to be. Early in his career he spent most of his time running back picks, and later in his career, nobody ever threw his direction. I can't count the Cowboy games where I never heard his name called because he totally shut down the side. He had a big mouth and a big attitude, but he backed it up with his effort.

One name I would add to your list is Buddy Ryan. I'm fully willing to admit my hatred stems from a Cowboy bias, but the guy was an utter scumbag. When you encourage your players to "take out" members of the opposite team, you deserve some hate.

Plus, he coached the Eagles. That's just sick.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 12:37 pm:   

Yup. I'll go along with Ryan.

This just in --

Farve pondering his future. He's actively considering retirement. Just the motivation his team needs. What a jerk.

Deborah
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 12:40 pm:   

Amen on Ryan, Josh.

Ah, hell, revisiting all this (most excellent) old bitterness is making me feel forgiving toward the Brownies. I better go read the Tempe newspaper before I lose my resolve.

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 12:43 pm:   

Okay, I do still harbor some angst against Tony "Gusa the Loosa" Siragusa, because he brought the SB trophy into some Sizzler or something in MD and refused to let any Giants fans touch it. What a doofus. Just what we need. One more sloppy Italian on television.

Hmmm, let me think...anyone else? I was willing to cut Herm Edwards some slack for the Miracle in the Meadowlands recovery of Csonk's fumble in 1979 (or was it '78? the trauma was too great), but when he brought the Jets to scrimmage with the Giants and they started fighting and throwing people around, that was strictly punk-ass.

I still don't think much of Run-de Mouth for the way he played the fool before the start of the 2000 NFC championship game, demanding field passes for all his homies, then short-armed every pass and let his team get waxed, and played punk on his team in the post-game interview ("I'll win MY rings, maybe not here..."). But HATE?

I'm not about the grudges...forgive and forget I say... I've even forgiven the refs who worked the Jints-Niners playoff game at 3Com and blew the obvious pass interference that would have given us another kick at the game-winning FG...I hardly even REMEMBER that one!

Deborah
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 12:43 pm:   

And I just saw where the Browns claimed Derek Anderson off waivers and released Doug Johnson.

Maybe that will motivate the Pack, Lucius...motivate them to give him a wedgie and leave him inside his locker.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 12:51 pm:   

Derek Anderson's an interesting pick-up.

I think Siragusa's move was just good taste -- he didn't want grubby Giant print all over it. And I don't hate Farve for any other reason than he's a redneck jerk who thinks he's Mississippi Jesus.

Deborah
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 01:06 pm:   

Yeah, Anderson is. He had a decent pre-season from what the article says. I didn't realize he was that big...they list him at 6'6". Did you see who Baltimore signed?

Kordell Stewart.

Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha...

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 01:47 pm:   

Yeah, that was terrible.

I saw Anderson almost beat LSU n Baton Rouge. He was most impressive. Yeah, he six-six and mobile. His problem is, he has flashes of inaccuracy, but that's a mechanical problem and he can be coached up.

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 02:13 pm:   

Lucius, with Goosa's bulk wrapped around the Lombardi trophy, I doubt anyone could have gotten close enough to touch it, Giants fans or Ravens fan. I heard he used it as a toothpick and it still has shards of half-chewed scallopine on it.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 03:40 pm:   

This is true. :-)

Minz
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 06:52 am:   

I know your pain, Dave, but that doesn't compare to the Pack-49ers NFC CHamp game in 2000, when Rice catches a ball, turns up field and takes two strides before a Packer stripped the ball and they called it an incompletion (and then 30 sec later TO caught the last second gamewinner). But refs don't belong on this list. Theirs is a fairly thankless job, for little money (relative to overpaid chumps on our playa/coach lists).

Lucius
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 07:06 am:   

NEW THREAD BELOW FOR ALL THOSE WISHING TO EXPRESS THEIR RIDICULOUS SOUR GRAPES...

Deborah
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 07:20 am:   

What about those wishing to express their completely reasonable and defensible sour grapes?

Lucius
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 07:32 am:   

That;s different. But still....for the sake of my browser, put in the new thread. Brown sour grapes are much more palatble. As far the Packers and Giants go, they're lucky they've been allowed to survive, the teams and their fans. Satan will not be kind to them once his kingdom comes...

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register