Scalehunter's Beautiful Daughter Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » Scalehunter's Beautiful Daughter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mastadge
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 01:15 pm:   

Is THE SCALEHUNTER'S BEAUTIFUL DAUGHTER included in the collection THE ENDS OF THE EARTH?

Jonathan Strahan
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 04:04 pm:   

Mastadge -

SCALEHUNTER'S is in ENDS OF THE EARTH (for a full ToC see http://www.locusmag.com/index/t142.html#A17675). I remain hopeful that, one day, we may see the novel that relates to it and FATHER OF STONES.

Not, I should add, that I can complain, given the flood of high quality work we've had from Lucius of late. And since we're talking Lucius, how come no North American press has published a great big honking new Lucius collection? Hats off to PS Publishing in the UK for taking on the task.

Jonathan

Gregg
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 07:45 pm:   

Maybe 4 Walls 8 Windows will help us out one day with a great big Lucius collection (I'd rather it not honk at me), since they're handling A Handbook of American Prayer. Didn't 4W8W reprint The Jaguar Hunter? I think they did. They appear to be Lucius' American publisher now, so if Handbook does well maybe we'll be rewarded with a great big collection. One can always hope.

lucius
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 10:18 pm:   

Jonathan,

There never was a novel. The Dragon project was always intended to be a weird chronicle, and I'll be done with it late this summer. There'll be about 80-90,000 words of new material, 50,000 of that in one story. I'll probably sell the PS collection along with the novel.

Lucius

Jonathan Strahan
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2003 - 03:51 pm:   

Ahhh. I've often wondered. Well, I can't wait to see the collection and the Dragon project book. As everyone ELSE is saying, the work that you're doing right now is pretty amazing stuff and I can't wait to see more.

Jonathan

Deborah
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2003 - 04:40 pm:   

Well, I'll be part of the everyone else of whom Jonathan speaks...Lucius, the stuff you're doing now is really terrific. I especially liked "Only Partly Here" and "Senor Volto."

Can't wait to see that collection from PS.

Now, if I was into shameless self promotion as part of my dealing of compliments, I'd meantion your incredible Polyphony 2 story, "The Same Old Story," but fortunately I have more self-restraint than that.

:-)

Deborah

Ellen
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2003 - 04:58 pm:   

I've just bought a new one by Lucius called "A WalkiIn the Garden."

lucius
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2003 - 05:40 pm:   

Jonathan,

thanks for the good words. Ellen has a couple of stories for sci-fi forthcoming -- "Jailwise," which is fantasy set in a maximum security prison, and as Ellen mentioned, "A Walk In The Garden," which is a war story set (surprise, surprise) in Northern Iraq some years after current events. I have some other stuff in the pipeline, too, a novella at Asimov's and etc.

Deborah,

I appreciate the comments. Shameless self-promotion...? It's just not in you.

Lucius

Deborax
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2003 - 08:59 pm:   

So, Lucius, how is this dragon thing going to work? Are you planning to include all the previous dragon stories? How many new ones are there going to be? How wil they fit together? How's that going to worx?

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2003 - 09:06 pm:   

Hi, Deborah,

It's going good. Be finished this summer.

I'm not gonna include all the stories. But I'm adding three novellas to Scalehunter and The Man Who Painted The Dragon Griaule, and in addition there's an uber-story into which they fit that's set in contemporary times --kind of a Fourth World horrifying type story. It's actually pretty weird how it worx. :-)

DeboraH
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2003 - 09:16 pm:   

Ah, good, Lucius, I'll certainly be looking forward to that. Weird and horrifying is good. Finishing this summer, huh? Great.

BTW, glad you realized it was me -- heh, a typo in my own name. Yup, that's what it was, merely a typo. It wasn't me inadvertently revealing my true identity, to wit, Princess Deborax of the planet Regalx (well, that's what it's utterly-unpronounceable-by-human-tongues name is as far as your species is concerned), because, of course, I'm not a visitor from another planet, not even a pronounceable one, heh, I'm just plain old me, Deborax, uh, Deborah. Didn't reveal anything that would get me sent home, no siree, not going back to that POS desert planet that doesn't even have football or blues or vodka or anything cool at all.

Mastadge
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2003 - 12:18 pm:   

Okay . . . so which are the Dragon stories? How many Dragon stories are there in print so far?

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2003 - 01:54 pm:   

Hey, Mastadge...

There are three in print.

The Man Who Painted The Dragon Griaule (F&SF)
The Scalehunters Beautiful Daughter (a book available from Mark V. Zeising, reprinted in Asimov's)
The Father of Stones (Asmov's, also a small book),

Two more soon forthcoming, though one's just been sent out:

Beautiful Blood
Liar's House

Mastadge
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2003 - 02:04 pm:   

Okay, I've got the first two, but I can't find the third. I'll come across it one of these days.

Mastadge
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 02:19 pm:   

Okay. I found The Father of Stones.

Now I've got:

Green Eyes
Life During Wartime
The Jaguar Hunter
The Scalehunter's Beautiful Daughter
The Father of Stones
Kalimantan
The Ends of the Earth
The Golden
Aztechs
Col. Rutherford's Colt (on preorder)
Valentine
Louisiana Breakdown
Floater (on preorder)
Handbook of American Prayer (on preorder) - is there any chance there'll be a hardcover edition of this one? Because a paperback'll look funny after all those hardcovers. . .

I know I'm missing the Barnacle Bill collection . . . is there anything else that I'm without?

Mastadge
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 02:27 pm:   

Whoops -- Handbook is listed as a hardcover, I see. I thought Amazon.com originally had it listed as a paperback.

Bob
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 05:05 am:   

Nate: Barnacle Bill the Spacer can be found in BEAST OF THE HEARTLAND. I think Four Walls, Eight Windows put it out.

Mastadge
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 05:14 am:   

I thought that BARNACE BILL and BEAST OF THE HEARTLAND had the same text and stories, just different titles.

Oh, I've also got TWO TRAINS RUNNING preordered.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 06:50 am:   

Mastadge, I'm sorry if you bought both editions -- one's the American, one the British.

The other thing that's not on your list. that's not orderable yet, I don't think, is the short story collection, Trujillo...also from PS. It shuld be orderable soon.

Mastadge
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 07:20 am:   

No, I didn't buy both editions. In fact, I haven't bought either edition yet, although I'll probably get the british edition because I'm a sucker for hardcovers.

And I'm definitely looking forward to Trujillo.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 07:32 am:   

Good, I couldn't tell from your post.

And yeah, I'm pretty pleased with TRUJLLO. I'm just finishing the title novella and I feel good about it and about the entireity of the collection.

BillC
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 09:59 am:   

Mastadge

Go for the Brit. It's a pretty little book. I think Mark Zeising has copies at a decent price. But you should also look at the electric story version; it adds a story, "How Lonesome Heartbreak Changed His Life".

Good reading.

Mastadge
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 11:05 am:   

I did go for the brit edition. Got it, in fact, from Mark Zeising.

Deborah
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 11:13 am:   

"How Lonesome Heartbreak Changed His Life" is also available in print in Polyphony 1 which is available on Amazon or directly from me, the publisher, at www.wheatlandpress.com

Lucius, forgive my self-serving trespass here.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 11:45 am:   

No blame attaches, Deborah. Lots of good stories in Poly 1.

Mastadge
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 11:50 am:   

Electric Story . . . that's ebooks, right? I like dead trees. . .

I've thought on and off about picking up a Polyphony, but for some reason I don't tend to enjoy multiauthor anthologies as much as collections by a single author. I get them once in a while, but not often. Maybe eventually I'll get to Polyphony.

Jonathan Strahan
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 04:47 pm:   

Hey Mastadge

You should pick up Polphony. It's pretty cool. I've read the first two volumes, and they have a lot of swell stuff in them, including two fine stories by Lucius. I'd also recommend Steve Pasechnick's forthcoming ALCHEMY, which is pretty swell.

Jonathan

Jonathan Strahan
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 04:24 am:   

Lucius -

In the interests of occasionally asking really dumb questions - there is one that has circulated around my household these past weeks. How do you pronounce "Griaule"? I realized, not so long ago, that I'd no idea and had been substituting some 'orrible sound that no doubt was completely incorrect.

Jonathan

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 06:36 am:   

Hi, Jonathan...

Despite Gardner's incessant mispronounciation ("Gray-ool"), the correct pronounciation is "Gree-ohl."

If you say it three times in a row, watch out! :-)

Jonathan Strahan
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 03:20 pm:   

Hey Lucius

Thanks for that. Our home was not immune to the Dozois Doctrine, but we shall stamp it out, as you would stamp out the vilest heresy.

J

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 04:01 pm:   

There you go, Jonathan! Just give it a swift kick and watch it slither off.

Jonathan
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 05:11 pm:   

<g> Thanks Lucius. Don't know if you're going to be in Washington for World Fantasy, but if so, hope we get to catch up.

J

Bruce
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2004 - 09:26 am:   

Hi Lucius,

I'm an FNG to these threads. After rooting through them, I've under the impression that 'The Father of Stones' will not be included in your Griaule novel/collection. Can you please confirm that? If that's the case, I'll pick up a copy from Abebooks; there's a few floating about for prices ranging from $45-$85. [I've the Asimov's but prefer collecting the HCs.] Unless, of course, you have a copy you don't mind shipping yourself; I don't know if you have extra copies you don't mind mailing for a few bucks.

Bruce

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 09:01 pm:   

Hi, Bruce...I must have missed this post. Yup. That story will be omitted. Have no copies myself. Hope you can get it cheap....

Jonathan
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 08:08 pm:   

Hey Lucius

Any particular reason for omitting "Father of Stones"?

Jonathan

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 09:26 pm:   

Hi, Jonathon....

Yup. Don't like it. :-)

And then, too, the way i'm working the Griaule thing, it doesn't fit -- but I made it not fit because I don't like it.....

rwexler
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 08:27 am:   

I like it.

Robert

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 09:06 am:   

Well, there;s no accountin' fer taste, is there? :-)
You gotta remember, Robert. You live in Ohio, where expectations are low.

Bruce Chrumka
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 09:59 am:   

Expectations are even lower in Alberta where I live. People even like 'Skull City' which, aside from some author's opinion, is an excellent novella. No accounting for taste indeed!

I especially liked the line "She smelled of violets and derangement." Reminds me of my first wife...

Incidentally, I did score a copy of 'The Father of Stones' from Abebooks. $45, cheap at twice the price!

Bruce

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 10:20 am:   

Hey, Bruce.... Aberta, huh? You out on the praries where all those demented hockey madmen come from? Brian Spencer Land. This could explain a great deal. :-)

Anywhow, glad you scored a copy and I'm sorry it was so pricey...

Bruce Chrumka
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 03:24 pm:   

Hi Lucius,

Yep, the prairies are no joke in the winter. Nothing to do in the arctic tundra but put blades on your feet and beat the hell out of each other with lumber. When the sun comes up around May though, we like to play a little game we call football; I gather you Americans have some bastardized version of it judging by the number of threads on your discussion board. But four downs? Playing with a roof over your head? No single point for missing a field goal? Sheesh! What have you done to the poor game we invented for you?

Seriously, Canadian football's pretty lame compared to your product. Your linebackers are probably seventy kilos heavier on average, your highlight films actually feature amazing plays rather than a series of turnovers and your rules make more sense. Can't say much for your half-time shows, though... :0)

Cheers,

Bruce

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 04:07 pm:   

Hey, I can't say much for any halftime show. I used to watch the CFL when I lived in Detroit -- the field was so fucking big, it messed me up.
But it was cool sometimes.

Only thing I know about the praries was that movie for Canadian TV Atom Egoyan made about Brian Spencer. Looked pretty hellish.

Bruce Chrumka
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 08:28 am:   

Hellish as in the Ninth Circle. I recall six weeks in early '94 when I lived in Saskatoon aka Purgatory. The thermometer didn't climb above -25 degrees F - even once - for forty consecutive days. Then you add in the howling north wind which makes for some truly ridiculous wind chill. Add a couple meters of snow and voila! Siberia.

That's obviously a worse case scenario, it rarely gets that nasty and the deep winter landscape can be stunning. One cold morning in Edmonton, the sun rose dragging sundogs with it. The sun must've been ten degrees over the horizon and was flanked by these thick rainbow pillars. The effect was actually stopping traffic and did get a blurb from the local paper the next day.

Bruce

Lucius
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 08:51 am:   

Yeah, I've been in some pretty extreme envuroonments, and they can be beautiful, for sure, but they're often daunting as well. I saw something similar up in Alaska once, when it was about as cold as I ever want to feel....

Pender22nd
Posted on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 12:54 am:   

Lucius,
Where can I find a copy of "A Walk In The Garden," which is a war story set (surprise, surprise) in Northern Iraq?

Jonathan
Posted on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 02:40 am:   

Try http://www.scifi.com/scifiction/originals/originals_archive/shepard6/

Lucius
Posted on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 06:17 am:   

Pender, yeah, and if you want paper products, it;ll be in my short story collection, which is out on June, called Trujillo...

Pender22nd
Posted on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 09:35 am:   

Thanks Jonathan, I'll read it tonight! Lucius, I saw that you have that one coming out, I will of course check it out. I'm in Baghdad, them screamin meanies live up north, I stays outa there!

Lucius
Posted on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 10:37 am:   

Well, that's good, Pender. Avoiding the meanies is what war's all about.

The story's kinda just a fantasy trip, but I was trying to get into that gung ho thing a little.... Hope you enjoy it....

samson quain
Posted on Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 11:25 pm:   

Lucius, I was wondering if there's any chance you would consider optioning THE SCALEHUNTER'S BEAUTIFUL DAUGHTER to be adapted into a film? An interested, admiring reader who's followed you since LIFE DURING WARTIME and before.

thanks

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 05:56 am:   

Hi, Samson,

short answer--sure.

Thanks for the kind words.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 06:00 am:   

PS if you want to get in touch,
lucius4@ earthlink

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 06:01 am:   

make that lucius4@earthlink.net

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register